Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The week that the polls turned against the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Just had an A380 come over my house:

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW268/2a272b12

I haven't noticed one of those come over since COVID started.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    A majority of voters now think that Boris Johnson should resign as Prime Minister...

57% think he should resign (+9 from two weeks ago)
    26% think he should stay (-5)

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/11/labour-races-to-nine-point-lead-in-polls-in-wake-of-sleaze-controversies-at-no-10
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Is the Opinium Labour lead big enough for HFUYD yet
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    tlg86 said:

I'm in Woking and the earliest I could get was 23 December. A friend in Hillingdon managed to get 13 December. I guess that's due to differential take up rates.

6 weeks ago I did a walk in in Woking.
  • Options
    Starmer has taken a clear lead over Johnson on the question of who would make the best Prime Minister, although they are both behind “None of the above”.

Johnson 22% (-7)
    Starmer 29% (+2)
    None of these 35% (+4)
    Don’t know 13% (-1)

Changes on the 24 – 26 November. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1469759817036275723/photo/1
  • Options
    kjh said:

tlg86 said:

I'm in Woking and the earliest I could get was 23 December. A friend in Hillingdon managed to get 13 December. I guess that's due to differential take up rates.

What crime did you commit to suffer that punishment?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Seems over 30s can book on the site now..
  • Options
    57% now think the Prime Minister should resign, up from 53% earlier in the week, and 48% a fortnight ago.

26% think he should stay, down from 28% earlier in the week, and 31% a fortnight ago .

A third (34%) of those who voted Tory at the last election think he should resign. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1469760126475243524/photo/1
  • Options
    Approval of the way the government’s handling Coronavirus has also sharply declined.

Disapprove 48% (+10)
    Approve 32% (-8)

Changes on the 24 – 26 November.

This is the government’s worst score on this question since January. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1469760406948352006/photo/1
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Oooh, what's this?

Prof Francois Balloux

@BallouxFrancois

Today's South African COVID-19 numbers are in, with a overall decrease in case numbers, despite a substantial increase in the number of tests performed, and a dramatic decrease in test positivity (-28% from yesterday; -45% from two days ago).
    1/

The Omicron outbreak in SA with its extraordinary fast rise, and apparently nearly equally fast fall, is one of the most mind-boggling things I've ever seen during my career as an infectious disease epidemiologist.
    2/

?????

Could be fucking great news

I did wonder a few days ago if Omicron is a firework. A spectacular ascent, then boom, then an equally sudden fall?

God let it be so
    If it is milder wouldn't it make sense for a higher percentage of cases to be asymptomatic?
    I have had more dangerous curries
    What a stupid fucking comment.
    I once got very serious food poisoning from a curry.
    I once got a burst haemmorhoid from crapping so hard after a terrible, toxic curry. Seriously. Not fun

Not only that, it was a curry at a restaurant once voted the 4th best in the world (just before Covid)
    You must have misunderstood.

4th for “most memorable experience”

And they delivered…
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Will be the first time I have had to put on a mask tomorrow (for the booster) as the rest of the time I have not bothered and nobody has asked me to . Anyone who feels masks do f all and think they shoudl not be mandated then I woudl advise not to wear them as nobody is enforcing them which is understandable given everyone is having a gas in pubs without them but then think they will catch covid in a small shop so put them on

Well Mrs RP has the pox. I was in direct physical contact with her for hours overnight. I may or may not test positive when I get home or in the next few days.

My FFP2 mask stops me breathing whatever I've got or not got onto people on these trains I have been on all day. Their masks stop them breathing in whatever I might be breathing out.

Don't tell me masks are a waste of time.
    i just have and I aint the one on a packed train all day - If you think this is a serious situation where you need to wear a mask all day maybe contributing to a packed train aint so good an idea?
    You seem to be a twit. There is no serious science that I can see that disputes what seems intuitively completely obvious anyway, that masks reduce the risk of airborne infection both in and out. Do you have any rational grounds to think masks ineffective?
  • Options
    Nobody cares about wallpaper...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Will be the first time I have had to put on a mask tomorrow (for the booster) as the rest of the time I have not bothered and nobody has asked me to . Anyone who feels masks do f all and think they shoudl not be mandated then I woudl advise not to wear them as nobody is enforcing them which is understandable given everyone is having a gas in pubs without them but then think they will catch covid in a small shop so put them on

Well Mrs RP has the pox. I was in direct physical contact with her for hours overnight. I may or may not test positive when I get home or in the next few days.

My FFP2 mask stops me breathing whatever I've got or not got onto people on these trains I have been on all day. Their masks stop them breathing in whatever I might be breathing out.

i just have and I aint the one on a packed train all day - If you think this is a serious situation where you need to wear a mask all day maybe contributing to a packed train aint so good an idea?
    You seem to be a twit. There is no serious science that I can see that disputes what seems intuitively completely obvious anyway, that masks reduce the risk of airborne infection both in and out. Do you have any rational grounds to think masks ineffective?
    "We've had enough of experts"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

There was wallpaper at the party? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Given that Johnson's goose is surely cooked, what are your preferred picks (in order of preference) for replacement and hence next PM? I don't mean at the odds, I mean which would you prefer the most (or hate the least)?

I'm going: 1) Hunt, 2) Sunak, 3) Mordaunt
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970
    I notice that the NS Conservative odds have come in a wee bit since this morning. The PB Quincel effect?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    Does anyone know if you can still walk into boots and get free lateral flow tests on demand?

Just realised I better do one before the Balearics tomorrow. Out of courtesy
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Given that Johnson's goose is surely cooked, what are your preferred picks (in order of preference) for replacement and hence next PM? I don't mean at the odds, I mean which would you prefer the most (or hate the least)?

For competent leadership? Hunt

For grins? Truss

Eddie Mair: But what about the people who’ve changed their minds?

Liz Truss: I don’t think people have changed their minds.

Eddie Mair: You have.

Liz Truss: I have, that’s true.

https://twitter.com/MatthewStadlen/status/1469656580450926594
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    Stocky said:

Probably Sunak as he is (theoretically) the most dovish on restrictions. He would be the least shit of the three I suspect.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    Scott_xP said:

Stocky said:

For competent leadership? Hunt

For grins? Truss

Eddie Mair: But what about the people who’ve changed their minds?

Liz Truss: I don’t think people have changed their minds.

Eddie Mair: You have.

Liz Truss: I have, that’s true.

https://twitter.com/MatthewStadlen/status/1469656580450926594
    Is she saying she's not one of the People?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    I do not think there has been a singled mainly political story that has cut through like this for at least a decade. Every single social event, and most work calls this gets brought up. When the prospect of further restrictions inevitably comes up there's a very loud portion of people asking why we should cancel events. Every person in this country has stuff they had to sacrifice in the second half of last year.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

What crime did you commit to suffer that punishment?
    Being old. Quite impressed though. It was when the booster regime was a shambles and I hadn't been notified when I should have been. Just turned up and got it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited December 2021
    Told you that Opinium would be a humdinger.

I notice Starmer has a huge lead on net leader ratings and even on gross positives with yet another pollster.

Something is stirring.

This has a feeling of the election that never was in 2007
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Gone in the morning....gone in the morning....goooooone in the morrrrrrrninng....after the by election defeat (or sooner if the Mirror have photos).
  • Options

Something is stirring.

Only another 3 years of BoZo?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I am fearful that the Government are pressurised by the NHS to use Omicron as an excuse to lock us down, even if it turns out not to be serious, in order to keep old people at home so they don’t slip and fall over the winter, thereby reducing pressure on A&E. Also shutting hospitality to keep drunks out of A&E.

I don't even think it's that deep, it's just moving the national agenda back to COVID and lockdowns where Labour are impotent.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Leon said:

Does anyone know if you can still walk into boots and get free lateral flow tests on demand?

Probably not much help as it 's where the two-headed troll people live as far as you're concerned but there's a stand outside an empty shop near Barking Station where they hand them out and also outside East Ham library occasionally.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

it's just moving the national agenda back to COVID and lockdowns where Labour are impotent.

Labour hold all the cards (sic)

Without them BoZo is impotent (for once)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Only about people getting plastered.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    ydoethur said:

The only thing that is concerning me is that it's saying 'If you have a booked a 3rd dose you will not be able to get vaccinated without your referral letter.'

Which I of course do not have.

Those people who have been jabbed - were you asked for it?

Just showed them the booking confirmation on my phone.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Stocky said:

Assuming we are limited to plausible candidates, Hunt (some element of competence, moderately reality-based); Gove (seems to listen to experts when he doesn’t have pre-existing opinions); May (yes really - fundamentally unlikely to think that appeasing backbench should be prioritised over killing people).

Because of the selection process I’m betting on Truss (basically the opposite of all the good qualities listed above).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Something is stirring.

Maybe not

1) The Tories are a bit more ruthless than Labour

2) There's a sleazy stench around Boris Johnson that there was never with Gordon Brown, sleaze could play a part that wasn't an issue for Brown
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes. Book on the NHS website to get a code to collect your kits
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    Chameleon said:

I do not think there has been a singled mainly political story that has cut through like this for at least a decade. Every single social event, and most work calls this gets brought up. When the prospect of further restrictions inevitably comes up there's a very loud portion of people asking why we should cancel events. Every person in this country has stuff they had to sacrifice in the second half of last year.

Yes, I think it’s had the biggest impact on party fortunes of any event since Black Wednesday. And As I recall Labour were pretty much nailed on for the next election from that point on.
  • Options

I notice Starmer has a huge lead on net leader ratings and even on gross positives with yet another pollster.

Something is stirring.

I'm not convinced - I suspect Christmas will dull the excitement and unless there's something spectacular in the Sunday press I suspect the heat will start to go out of the story in the next 10 days.

Is it a permanent and confirmed shift to Labour - on tonight's numbers Labour would have a majority assuming the SF MPs stay away on the current boundaries. On the new boundaries, close but not quite.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Assuming we are limited to plausible candidates, Hunt (some element of competence, moderately reality-based); Gove (seems to listen to experts when he doesn’t have pre-existing opinions); May (yes really - fundamentally unlikely to think that appeasing backbench should be prioritised over killing people).

Because of the selection process I’m betting on Truss (basically the opposite of all the good qualities listed above).

May would be spectacular!

Nobody going for Priti?
  • Options
    Heads up: Broadcasting House , r4 9 am tomorrow, Ian Hislop on Boris's chances of turning things around.

I rate Hislop and he knows a fuck of a lot about Boris
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

More reason for cautious optimism

"Quick update on Covid hospitalizations/deaths in South Africa.

"Last week's admissions are ~3,700. This week's are already over 4,200 and will be revised up to over 6,000, at least.

"Deaths last week stand at 104, almost double previous week, and this week has seen 140 so far."

https://twitter.com/BarclayBenedict/status/1469724928199073802?s=20

Which sounds bad, but...

"The number of deaths will be revised up, particularly for the current week, so will probably double again to 200-250. For now, these are still very low levels compared with previous waves, but not negligible by any means."

VERY LOW LEVELS

Only a fortnight ago you were decrying me as “delusional” for merely suggesting such a thing. I still don’t know. But simply considering the prospect of a benign variant is - I submit - hardly delusional.
    It may not be benign so much as it can't evade t-cells and b-cells from vaccine or infection based immunity. The most danger from Omicron is in those countries that have low vaccination rates, low natural immunity among the unvaccinated or both together.
    NZ? Good luck St Jucinda - give you something to worry about beyond nannying around banning smoking
    What NZ has done about smoking is entirely good sense and will be widely imitated

A very good friend of mine died of a brain tumour, a secondary of smoking-induced lung cancer. You really don't want 16 year olds having the right to choose to have that happen to them in their 50s.
    Just think about that last sentence FFS - Jesus, anyway if I heard right it will be 24 year olds not being able to decide in a decade time what happens to them in their 70s - authoritarian crap
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

How often do ordinary people wear them correctly?

How often do people wearing masks fail to keep their distance, which is considerably more effective?

There are two grounds, right there.

Whether they are accurate is another question.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Gone in the morning....gone in the morning....goooooone in the morrrrrrrninng....after the by election defeat (or sooner if the Mirror have photos).

Release the day after the BE perhaps ?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Scott_xP said:

Self-pasting, like the Tories
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Heads up: Broadcasting House , r4 9 am tomorrow, Ian Hislop on Boris's chances of turning things around.

You rate Ian Hislop?

The man who helped Andrew Wakefield spread his antivax MMR bullshit.

He has blood on his hands.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 776
    I don't see how Boris lasts until the next election. Which is a shame as he would be very easily beatable.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    TBF, if the staff at the DfE were drunk all the time education would be in a much better place right now.
  • Options
    🚨 Labour takes a NINE pint lead in the latest @OpiniumResearch poll for @ObserverUK 🚨

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

*It is the biggest lead, from Opinium, since March 2014*

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1469759064796246017

@michaelsavage @OpiniumResearch @ObserverUK 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:
    Even handed out Christmas presents, that is a bit of a pathetic criticism....

It does feed into my perception what has been going on, which is with all the pubs closed etc, all these teams have been working long hours and got into habit of having regular drink sessions in the office that would normally in the boozer.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

"Last week's admissions are ~3,700. This week's are already over 4,200 and will be revised up to over 6,000, at least.

"Deaths last week stand at 104, almost double previous week, and this week has seen 140 so far."

Which sounds bad, but...

"The number of deaths will be revised up, particularly for the current week, so will probably double again to 200-250. For now, these are still very low levels compared with previous waves, but not negligible by any means."

VERY LOW LEVELS

Only a fortnight ago you were decrying me as “delusional” for merely suggesting such a thing. I still don’t know. But simply considering the prospect of a benign variant is - I submit - hardly delusional.
    It may not be benign so much as it can't evade t-cells and b-cells from vaccine or infection based immunity. The most danger from Omicron is in those countries that have low vaccination rates, low natural immunity among the unvaccinated or both together.
    NZ? Good luck St Jucinda - give you something to worry about beyond nannying around banning smoking
    What NZ has done about smoking is entirely good sense and will be widely imitated

A very good friend of mine died of a brain tumour, a secondary of smoking-induced lung cancer. You really don't want 16 year olds having the right to choose to have that happen to them in their 50s.
    Just think about that last sentence FFS - Jesus
    I am sorry I called you a twit. I now see that you are a complete and utter dweebish f----g c--t, trying to start a revolution from your mom's basement. Grow up and post somewhere else.
  • Options
    I just heard a brilliant version of… an ed sheeran song. My world is upended
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

How often do people wearing masks fail to keep their distance, which is considerably more effective?

or that other countries that have had mask mandates have had higher rates of infection - Scotland,Wales to name two close to home
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Boris is about to commit the biggest sin of all as a Tory leader. Losing a seat the Tories should in normal times hold easily (Even in a BE).
    There's no particular demographic with this one, as there was for Cheshire & Amersham.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

🚨 Labour takes a NINE pint lead in the latest @OpiniumResearch poll for @ObserverUK 🚨

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

SKS haters, please explain.

Or, SKSICIPM
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

You rate Ian Hislop?

We all make mistakes.

He warned us clearly and unambiguously about Boris at times when a lot of people would have temporiseed on the basis that being in with Boris could do them a lot of good
  • Options
    stodge said:

Something is stirring.

I'm not convinced - I suspect Christmas will dull the excitement and unless there's something spectacular in the Sunday press I suspect the heat will start to go out of the story in the next 10 days.

Is it a permanent and confirmed shift to Labour - on tonight's numbers Labour would have a majority assuming the SF MPs stay away on the current boundaries. On the new boundaries, close but not quite.
    Starmer has a 33% lead on the leadership figures.

That feels like the tectonic plates shifting.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    TBF, if the staff at the DfE were drunk all the time education would be in a much better place right now.
    Every time you slag off the DfE I am going to trump you with DBIS. I challenge any to be worse. It should be closed down.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Boris is about to commit the biggest sin of all as a Tory leader. Losing a seat the Tories should in normal times hold easily (Even in a BE).
    There's no particular demographic with this one, as there was for Cheshire & Amersham.

BoZo reaches parts of the electorate other Tory leaders can't.

And not in a good way...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

The lead is more about Johnson and his decision to close down the country again coupled with obvious hypocrisy
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

or that other countries that have had mask mandates have had higher rates of infection - Scotland,Wales to name two close to home
    I thought Scotland's rate was slightly lower?

We're still AFAIK waiting for that promised report on mask wearing in schools, however.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    Labour's lead goes up by one percentage point for each additional Tory Christmas party that comes to light.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ta
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Which sounds bad, but...

VERY LOW LEVELS

Just think about that last sentence FFS - Jesus
    I am sorry I called you a twit. I now see that you are a complete and utter dweebish f----g c--t, trying to start a revolution from your mom's basement. Grow up and post somewhere else.
    well unlucky for you I am not going to take your advise . Calm down
  • Options
    kjh said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Every time you slag off the DfE I am going to trump you with DBIS. I challenge any to be worse. It should be closed down.
    Nah, DfE is worse. It's got people in it who are not merely incompetent but actively damaging what they're meant to be managing.

It's like the DoH but with stupider people.
  • Options
    Does this poll count as crossover? (innocent face)
  • Options

Labour's lead goes up by one percentage point for each additional Tory Christmas party that comes to light.

Impossible. It can't go above an extra 30.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

I don't see how Boris lasts until the next election. Which is a shame as he would be very easily beatable.

Isn't that the point? The remaining PB Peppa apologists bleat on about people being anto Boris as if we are doing it for partisan reasons.

The best way for Labour to remove the Tories is for Liar to stay in office. We all need rid of him because of the egregious damage his government is doing. Removing him and replacing him with someone not a tosser makes that job harder.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If a seat like North Shropshire had come up in a by-election in 1992-97, is there any chance that the Lib Dems would have won it from third place?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW POLL🚨

The latest @ObserverUK poll gives Labour the largest lead we have seen in any @OpiniumResearch poll since February 2014.

Con 32% (-4)
    Lab 41% (+3)
    Lib Dem 9% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1)

Changes on the 24 – 26 November. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1469759095523753986/photo/1

Very close to @HYUFD ‘s arbitrary pulled out of his ass 10% bedwetting threshold
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

You rate Ian Hislop?

We all make mistakes.

He warned us clearly and unambiguously about Boris at times when a lot of people would have temporiseed on the basis that being in with Boris could do them a lot of good
    There are different scales of mistakes, understandable/minor mistakes like rear ending your car into a another car or accidentally sleeping with your wife's best mate.

A mistake which spread antivax bullshit and lead to avoidable deaths is a the mark of Cain.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

Nine pints! They must be all over the place
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    If you follow this lady's twitter feed her modelling shows that the worst case scenario - high immune escape and low booster efficiency - the number of deaths is unlikely to be above the peak last year although hospitalisations would be. And this is assuming that omicron is as severe as delta.

https://twitter.com/BarnardResearch?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

So if there is a worst case scenario of high immune escape/low booster efficiency and omicron is as severe as delta (all factors combined frankly unlikely) the government might need to consider mitigation measures to avoid the health service being overwhelmed.

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

You rate Ian Hislop?

We all make mistakes.

There are different scales of mistakes, understandable/minor mistakes like rear ending your car into a another car or accidentally sleeping with your wife's best mate.

A mistake which spread antivax bullshit and lead to avoidable deaths is a the mark of Cain.
    I read that poor Andrew Wakefield isn't dating Elle Macpherson anymore....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW POLL🚨

The latest @ObserverUK poll gives Labour the largest lead we have seen in any @OpiniumResearch poll since February 2014.

Con 32% (-4)
    Lab 41% (+3)
    Lib Dem 9% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1)

Changes on the 24 – 26 November. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1469759095523753986/photo/1

Very close to @HYUFD ‘s arbitrary pulled out of his ass 10% bedwetting threshold
    Just imagine how larger the Labour lead would be if Starmer hadn't slagged off Peppa Pig World.

Labour would be 30% ahead.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Which sounds bad, but...

VERY LOW LEVELS

Your not suggesting that the UK modellers 75k deaths in next 4 months might prove to be way out?
    On past form 7.5 deaths would be closer.

(The .5 being another SeanT identity biting the dust...)
    My model is proving perfectly accurate so far.
    Is it HO gauge? That's more accurate than OO gauge :lol:
    That's furrin, will upset too many people here.

Protofour is really what the discerning rivet counter wants for GB (Ireland does not count, different gauge AIUI, but it's been written off Brexit wise anyway).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

Scott_xP said:

Something is stirring.

Maybe not

2) There's a sleazy stench around Boris Johnson that there was never with Gordon Brown, sleaze could play a part that wasn't an issue for Brown
    Interesting to consider Brown versus Johnson - complete opposites in every respect.
  • Options
    32% must be pretty close to the Tory floor under Boris
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW POLL🚨

Con 32% (-4)
    Lab 41% (+3)
    Lib Dem 9% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1)

Just imagine how larger the Labour lead would be if Starmer hadn't slagged off Peppa Pig World.

I think you might just be telling porkies there, Mr Eagles.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Polruan said:

Nobody going for Priti?
    I've been saying #Priti4Leader since as long as I can remember!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Nah, DfE is worse. It's got people in it who are not merely incompetent but actively damaging what they're meant to be managing.

It's like the DoH but with stupider people.
    I suspect we could have a very long debate exchanging stories to show our candidate is worse .
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    Scott_xP said:

Polruan said:

Nobody going for Priti?
    Rory the Tory, as he is known in Scotland? Raab C. Brexit can be scratched, though: nem. con.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

Not a hater but here's my take

Imagine a tower block like the one in the Towering Inferno

There's a penthouse suite on the 150th floor where a bloke, let's call him Jackson, is doing coke and knobbing birds and generally being King of the World, and there's a small accountancy business on the 6th floor where a dreary balding bloke, call him Keith, is keeping up his chargeable hours. Now imagine Jackson falls off the balcony and splats on the street. Suddenly Keith is a neck breaking height above Jackson, just by virtue of where he is. Doesn't need to get in the lift, no reason to think he even knows how the lift works.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sounds like a very brief item.
  • Options
    xxxxx5xxxxx5 Posts: 38
    Can someone explain to me how Sir Keir wins the next election? I get Boris is in big trouble, but can anyone really see Sir Keir taking seats like Mansfield, Bassetlaw and Ashfield all Tory Leave seats with large majorities for leave. The Tories also have the boundary changes to push through. I still cannot see a Labour majority. But I could be wrong.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    Good to see the Lib Dems, if not exactly leaping into the teens in the polls, holding up at the 8-10% mark despite Labour advances.

9% when the Tories are weak is a whole different kettle of fish to 9% when they’re beating Labour. It’s a truth not universally enough recognised that Lib Dem success at GEs pretty much directly tracks Tory failure.

Conversely I get the sense the Greens do relatively well when Labour do badly. If Keir is touching 40% at the next election where should they focus their efforts? Are there any Tory-Green marginals (IoW perhaps?)
  • Options

Leon said:

That's what has changed. Previously you could just walk in without having to book first.

You can also get them delivered, of course.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Something is stirring.

Maybe not

Interesting to consider Brown versus Johnson - complete opposites in every respect.
    I have a piece that goes up on either on Boxing Day or the 2nd of January and I actually note the similarities between Brown and Johnson.

1) Both wanted to be PM for decades and yet when they became PM there was a lack of drift, both went through SPADS at a phenomenal rate

2) The Brexit Deal being oven ready and awesome is Johnson's we abolished boom and bust moment.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

You rate Ian Hislop?

We all make mistakes.

She’s now immune to his charms ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

You rate Ian Hislop?

We all make mistakes.

She’s now immune to his charms ?
    Must have had the jab...
  • Options
    Final train of the day. 20 mins or so. It's rammed. Am in the vestibule with 5 others. We are all masked. So there is another reason why my FFP2 mask is required
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW POLL🚨

Con 32% (-4)
    Lab 41% (+3)
    Lib Dem 9% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1)

I'm a very devout muslim, pork never passes my lips.
  • Options
    xxxxx5 said:

Can someone explain to me how Sir Keir wins the next election? I get Boris is in big trouble, but can anyone really see Sir Keir taking seats like Mansfield, Bassetlaw and Ashfield all Tory Leave seats with large majorities for leave. The Tories also have the boundary changes to push through. I still cannot see a Labour majority. But I could be wrong.

Because Brexit is done and seats in the red wall want levelling up, which they were promised.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

If a seat like North Shropshire had come up in a by-election in 1992-97, is there any chance that the Lib Dems would have won it from third place?
    Had it been before Blair became leaser, possibly.

From 1995 onward, Labour would have been the main beneficiary.
  • Options
    Surely the most worrying thing about Boris being forced out is that the Deputy PM is that berk Raab?

Boris is inept, but Raab makes Boris look like genius.
  • Options
    xxxxx5 said:

With enormous difficulty and the largest swing since the end of the Second World War.

But forcing the Tories into minority government isn't out of the question. That's more plausible and the Tories have few options for coalition partners if they lose their majority.
  • Options
    xxxxx5 said:

I think a less authoritarian popularist (to me this is not a bad word btw) challenge will be organised to the tories and this will cost them votes that lets labour in in a lot of these places probably on low turnout.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598

32% must be pretty close to the Tory floor under Boris

I would say 30-35% is the right wing absolute floor but possible for the Tories to go below this if they ship support to another right wing party like Refuk. As we saw under May with the Brexit party.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

CON 32
    LAB 41
    LD 9
    Green 5
    SNP 5

Nine pints! They must be all over the place
    Michael Gove says that's just preloading before you go out proper
  • Options
    edited December 2021

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW POLL🚨

Con 32% (-4)
    Lab 41% (+3)
    Lib Dem 9% (+1)
    Green 5% (-1)

I'm a very devout muslim, pork never passes my lips.
    Just trying to Peppa things up with an awesome pun, Mr Eagles. I didn't intend to do you har(a)m.
This discussion has been closed.