Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The week that the polls turned against the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

I entered National Rail property at 07:12 this morning, left at 20:40 and had my FFP2 mask on pretty much all day. For all the anti-mask "its such an imposition" "its lockdown" twats out there, its not an imposition.

I had an FFP2 mask on for about an hour last week to get my booster dose and it is hard to explain my feelings of panic. There was a moment when I was in the second queue that I felt I was on the verge of losing my last shred of control and falling to the ground to curl up and hide.

It's been suggested to me that I would qualify for an exemption from wearing the masks, but I think that being the only person not wearing a mask in such a situation might possibly be the only thing that would be worse. This is not an imposition, it is far worse than that. I will actively avoid any situation that requires me to wear a mask.

Does this make me a twat?

For how long am I to be excluded from society?
    Are you claiming that masks do nothing? That they are just a fake state control method? Then you're not a @state_go_away .

Again. I hate masks. Suffer the steam up. Have had horrible panic attacks. But if its that or my crowded train earlier has "100 people in a room with 1 undiagnosed Omicron case and 50 are infected" then I wear a mask.

Whats the alternative?
    The alternative is that we trust that the vaccines work, and we go back to normal (with the exception, hopefully, of better hygiene, people not going out unnecessarily when they know they have an infectious disease, and working in an office reserved for genuine collaboration rather than for managers to play like everyone is in the panopticon).
    The vaccines do work. But they *reduce* your pain when you get Omicron, as opposed to removing your ability to transmit it. I want normal. I've tried to do normal the last two weekends and had to bail out. If Omicron does what the data is increasingly suggesting, "normal" will not be an option. Sadly.
  • Options

I entered National Rail property at 07:12 this morning, left at 20:40 and had my FFP2 mask on pretty much all day. For all the anti-mask "its such an imposition" "its lockdown" twats out there, its not an imposition.

It is an imposition.

You may be OK with such an imposition, but then that should be your choice. At least you had a proper mask on and not a cloth piece of crap.
    After our recent horrible COVID bout my husband and I purchased really fancy masks. Mine is called the Gill mask and it's a bit like the breathing bit of scuba gear. It makes you realise how rubbish those paper masks are
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

anyway the WHO advised against mask wearing until politicians and authoritarians got in on the case

Er, no...

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-masks-idUSKBN29X2S5
    you have too worrying a faith in a whiter than white establishment . They did say initiially masks had no effect and were pressured to change their mind
    Please post a link to where they said it then.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world/coronavirus-who-masks-recommendation-trnd/index.html

They've been shown to be wrong on this. Just look at the paper I cited.

Anyway, I still think this was a political decision due to the massive shortages of PPE at the start of the pandemic.
    So the WHO have been shown to be "wrong" have they - how many people do the WHO employ ? How many scientists ? Who has shown them to be "wrong" or twisted thier arm perhaps? Wake up
    Ah, it's a conspiracy? Did you look at the paper I cited? I assume they are in on it too.
    Look i am getting tired of you - you asked me to "cite" some evidence of the WHO saying they did not think masks worked and I did . You then stated they were wrong -I am not sure what else I can do to change your 100% view of the world and its whiter than white leadership
    Question - have you been jabbed and if so whose nanobots are in your bloodstream?

If you have an uncontrollable urge to buy a Zune off Ebay and start loading your music collection onto it in .wma format, you got the Gates ones.
    not that it is any of your business (how much do you earn by the way , when did you lose your virginity:?) but yes i have been jabbed twice - Not sure what your point is- explain if you wish
  • Options
    Labour 9 points now. 10 points soon is @HYUFD going to self-destruct
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2021
    Stereodog said:

It is an imposition.

You may be OK with such an imposition, but then that should be your choice. At least you had a proper mask on and not a cloth piece of crap.
    After our recent horrible COVID bout my husband and I purchased really fancy masks. Mine is called the Gill mask and it's a bit like the breathing bit of scuba gear. It makes you realise how rubbish those paper masks are
    FFP3 respirator masks aren't even very expensive.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021

The masks thing is bonkers. If people want to wear a mask, wear a FF3 (or whatever they are called) and have done. The government should make this clearer, and state fund these masks for vulnerable people. Lecturing others is a bit ridiculous when anyone can wear a FF3 mask as and when they wish!

The evidence is that FFP3 masks work incredibly, incredibly well - and yet nothing has been done to encourage people to get those.

So lets instead argue about people putting pieces of cloth over their face instead!

Cloth masks are the fallacy of "something must be done, this is something, therefore this must be done". We should have entirely voluntary masking, but instead be encouraging those who are wearing masks to wear ones of the quality standard that they actually work.
    I don't think the public really understand any of this. I see a lot of people very religious with their mask usage but using a cloth one. If you are extremely concerned about such things, you need an FFP3, your cloth mask isn't an invincibility shield.
    Exactly. Sadly there is a bullshit idea that has been spread that "your mask protects others" and that we all need to wear a cloth mask.

Its bollocks. There is no data to substantiate it.

What does work is wearing an FFP3 mask cuts your own risk of catching the virus significantly. So if you're bothered, wear an FFP3 mask. Don't wear a cloth mask and expect others to do so too.

We need better education on this. But instead people want to nanny those who don't want to wear a mask, instead of putting effort in to better educating those who do.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    Well, Boris may well be finished. And I am hardly his greatest fan, as you all well know.

Still, there's a hell of a lot of groupthink going on this evening.

Anyway nice to see @Beibheirli_C back.

The really bad news for me is that Husband, unbeknownst to me, has ordered an organic Turkey from a local farmer for Xmas.

Yuck! Can't stand the stuff and have only once in my entire life had it for Xmas.

So I may need to go vegetarian or cook alternative meat. Of course Daughter's place will be open during the day so we won't be eating until the evening anyway by which time, if the whisky treat I have ordered has arrived, I may already have passed out and be quietly snoozing on the sofa.

Plus Son's shift patterns are so awful that he won't be able to catch a train up north so if he is not to be totally alone I will have to fetch him here and back again, which will mean spending a good deal of the hols on the M6. Yay!

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774

RobD said:

RobD said:

anyway the WHO advised against mask wearing until politicians and authoritarians got in on the case

Er, no...

you have too worrying a faith in a whiter than white establishment . They did say initiially masks had no effect and were pressured to change their mind
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world/coronavirus-who-masks-recommendation-trnd/index.html

Anyway, I still think this was a political decision due to the massive shortages of PPE at the start of the pandemic.
    So the WHO have been shown to be "wrong" have they - how many people do the WHO employ ? How many scientists ? Who has shown them to be "wrong" or twisted thier arm perhaps? Wake up
    Ah, it's a conspiracy? Did you look at the paper I cited? I assume they are in on it too.
    Look i am getting tired of you - you asked me to "cite" some evidence of the WHO saying they did not think masks worked and I did . You then stated they were wrong -I am not sure what else I can do to change your 100% view of the world and its whiter than white leadership
    The article you cited does not show that the WHO did not think masks worked. Far from it. Read the article!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

The masks thing is bonkers. If people want to wear a mask, wear a FF3 (or whatever they are called) and have done. The government should make this clearer, and state fund these masks for vulnerable people. Lecturing others is a bit ridiculous when anyone can wear a FF3 mask as and when they wish!

The evidence is that FFP3 masks work incredibly, incredibly well - and yet nothing has been done to encourage people to get those.

So lets instead argue about people putting pieces of cloth over their face instead!

Cloth masks are the fallacy of "something must be done, this is something, therefore this must be done". We should have entirely voluntary masking, but instead be encouraging those who are wearing masks to wear ones of the quality standard that they actually work.
    I don't think the public really understand any of this. I see a lot of people very religious with their mask usage but using a cloth one. If you are extremely concerned about such things, you need an FFP3, your cloth mask isn't an invincibility shield.
    Exactly. Sadly there is a bullshit idea that has been spread that "your mask protects others" and that we all need to wear a cloth mask.

What does work is wearing an FFP3 mask cuts your own risk of catching the virus significantly. So if you're bothered, wear an FFP3 mask. Don't wear a cloth mask and expect others to do so too.

We need better education on this. But instead people want to nanny those who don't want to wear a mask, instead of putting effort in to better educating those who do.
    I have posted links to you in the past citing papers that show that masks - including "cloth" masks - do prevent transmission.
    Your continued anti-science stance is really troubling.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Er, no...

The article you cited does not show that the WHO did not think masks worked. Far from it. Read the article!
    well its a while since I got an O level in English Comprehension but the second paragraph is pretty clear isnt it?
  • Options
    Legal Notice -

"And whereas, by reason of the many subtle and crafty contrivances of persons keeping bawdy-houses,... , or other disorderly houses, it is difficult to prove who is the real owner or keeper thereof, by which means many notorious offenders have escaped punishment any person who shall at any time hereafter appear, act, or behave him or herself as master or mistress, or as the person having the care, government, or management of any bawdy-house,... , or other disorderly house, shall be deemed and taken to be the keeper thereof, and shall be liable to be prosecuted and punished as such, notwithstanding he or she shall not in fact be the real owner or keeper thereof."
    - Disorderly Houses Act 1751, Section 8

Fortunately for some (many?) PBers, this last remaining provision of the Act was repealed in 2008.
  • Options

I had an FFP2 mask on for about an hour last week to get my booster dose and it is hard to explain my feelings of panic. There was a moment when I was in the second queue that I felt I was on the verge of losing my last shred of control and falling to the ground to curl up and hide.

It's been suggested to me that I would qualify for an exemption from wearing the masks, but I think that being the only person not wearing a mask in such a situation might possibly be the only thing that would be worse. This is not an imposition, it is far worse than that. I will actively avoid any situation that requires me to wear a mask.

Does this make me a twat?

For how long am I to be excluded from society?
    Are you claiming that masks do nothing? That they are just a fake state control method? Then you're not a @state_go_away .

Again. I hate masks. Suffer the steam up. Have had horrible panic attacks. But if its that or my crowded train earlier has "100 people in a room with 1 undiagnosed Omicron case and 50 are infected" then I wear a mask.

Whats the alternative?
    The alternative is that we trust that the vaccines work, and we go back to normal (with the exception, hopefully, of better hygiene, people not going out unnecessarily when they know they have an infectious disease, and working in an office reserved for genuine collaboration rather than for managers to play like everyone is in the panopticon).
    The vaccines do work. But they *reduce* your pain when you get Omicron, as opposed to removing your ability to transmit it. I want normal. I've tried to do normal the last two weekends and had to bail out. If Omicron does what the data is increasingly suggesting, "normal" will not be an option. Sadly.
    It only won't be an option if we don't let it be an option.

Stop taking tests, stop wearing masks, stop trying to stop the spread of the virus and just worry about how it affects you if you get it by having your vaccine.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    edited December 2021
    It's alleged that Theresa May's allies are to send letters calling for a leadership election if the Tories lose the by-election, according to the Times.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-faces-rebellion-from-60-tories-as-omi-shambles-rolls-on-b3f5lnk9f
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I have posted links to you in the past citing papers that show that masks - including "cloth" masks - do prevent transmission.
    He invites others to die to protect his liberty
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,602
    Andy_JS said:

It's alleged that Theresa May's allies are to send letters calling for a leadership election if the Tories lose the by-election, according to the Times.

What? Both of them!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, Boris may well be finished. And I am hardly his greatest fan, as you all well know.

The really bad news for me is that Husband, unbeknownst to me, has ordered an organic Turkey from a local farmer for Xmas.

Yuck! Can't stand the stuff and have only once in my entire life had it for Xmas.

So I may need to go vegetarian or cook alternative meat. Of course Daughter's place will be open during the day so we won't be eating until the evening anyway by which time, if the whisky treat I have ordered has arrived, I may already have passed out and be quietly snoozing on the sofa.

Plus Son's shift patterns are so awful that he won't be able to catch a train up north so if he is not to be totally alone I will have to fetch him here and back again, which will mean spending a good deal of the hols on the M6. Yay!

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you ever consider you do too much for your children @Cyclefree ?

I cannot remember Mrs P or I expecting or getting anything like that level of support from our parents once we reached 20 or so.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793

Yes, I was running some errands in the city earlier today, so wore an FFP3. Mask wearing was probably over 75% but a lot of poor masks and poor technique , so the efficacy must be lower. Town was busy and the antiaxx nutters were out. I had an argument with one who was spouting bollocks.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1469724658354249728?t=SS2VsDuxjke4dwZ-J6vJTQ&s=19

Omnicron is going to go through this city faster than shit off a shovel. I am on duty though over the holidays so really need to keep clear until my colleagues are back in Jan. I shall be at the match tomorrow in an FFP3 too.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Please post any evidence that cloth mask mandates reduce transmission over the long term. I'm calling BS.

If you have any evidence, I've not seen it. I don't believe it exists.

Having evidence that people in controlled environments wearing masks properly, instead of mandates where people end up with chin hammocks, is a different thing.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Er, no...

well its a while since I got an O level in English Comprehension but the second paragraph is pretty clear isnt it?
    Yep, you've got me there. Embarassing. I apologise.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

Yes, I was running some errands in the city earlier today, so wore an FFP3. Mask wearing was probably over 75% but a lot of poor masks and poor technique , so the efficacy must be lower. Town was busy and the antiaxx nutters were out. I had an argument with one who was spouting bollocks.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1469724658354249728?t=SS2VsDuxjke4dwZ-J6vJTQ&s=19

Omnicron is going to go through this city faster than shit off a shovel. I am on duty though over the holidays so really need to keep clear until my colleagues are back in Jan. I shall be at the match tomorrow in an FFP3 too.
    The thing about proper FFP3 respirator masks is not only the filter, it is they form a tight seal and so you don't spend all your time pulling it up, down and round about.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Anyway, home now, negative for now, wifey ill but not dying, kids meh but not upset by the abrupt end of term. Am consoling myself by having a wee drinkie.

You know Liar is finished because the various candidates to replace him are already briefing the media. Ravey Mikey Govey. Sunak. Truss. Priti Vacant. I love St Theresa and "operation revenge".

Will the last HYUFD supporting Liar please turn out the lights...?

Sorry RP I missed this. Is your missus positive?
    If so send her my love and empathy. You can avoid it in the same house with some organisation and give and take. We are 2-2 in the family positive/negative.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you ever consider you do too much for your children @Cyclefree ?

I cannot remember Mrs P or I expecting or getting anything like that level of support from our parents once we reached 20 or so.
    What a rude reponse
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

An FFP3 mask properly worn is sensible, if you're bothered about catching the virus.

A cloth mask chin hammock that isn't covering your mouth or nose is not.

If we spent more effort educating those who want to wear a mask on what they should wear and how to wear it, that'd do far more than compelling those who don't want to wear one ever could.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

“ if the whisky treat I have ordered has arrived, I may already have passed out and be quietly snoozing on the sofa. “.

I can raise a glass to that 🙂
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited December 2021

Even Ed Miliband and Kinnock had 10 points leads midterm and Starmer still not there yet.

Plus you would need to at least double that to get to Blair pre 1997 levels
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

What a rude reponse
    I was trying to aks a genuine question politely. How could I have asked the question better?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Even Ed Miliband and Kinnock had 10 points leads midterm and Starmer still not there yet.

Plus you would need to at least double that to get to Blair pre 1997 levels
    Moving the goalposts?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

What a rude reponse
    I was trying to aks a genuine question politely. How could I have asked the question better?
    well start with not suggesting you have it right and she wrong?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    edited December 2021

Andy_JS said:

What? Both of them!
    As bad as St Theresa is claimed to be, I think that like John Major she will be remembered better in future than now.

Yes "nothing has changed". Yes "Brexit means Brexit". Yes "darkies go home". But she increased the Tory vote by 20% over 2015 in that silly re-election of 2017...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Anyway, home now, negative for now, wifey ill but not dying, kids meh but not upset by the abrupt end of term. Am consoling myself by having a wee drinkie.

You know Liar is finished because the various candidates to replace him are already briefing the media. Ravey Mikey Govey. Sunak. Truss. Priti Vacant. I love St Theresa and "operation revenge".

If so send her my love and empathy. You can avoid it in the same house with some organisation and give and take. We are 2-2 in the family positive/negative.
    I managed to dodge it too when Mrs Foxy had it a year ago. It is weirdly patchy that this happens and someone else spreads it to 50
  • Options

Foxy said:

An FFP3 mask properly worn is sensible, if you're bothered about catching the virus.

But a cloth mask properly worn does help impede transmission IF the person wearing is sick and contagious.

And by wearing a mask for this purpose, you are encouraging others to do the same. Good for them - and you.

Obviously NOT fail safe. But helps shave the odds, which OUGHT to have some appeal to PBers?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

What a rude reponse
    well start with not suggesting you have it right and she wrong?
    Sigh! I didn't say I have it right.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The thing about proper FFP3 respirator masks is not only the filter, it is they form a tight seal and so you don't spend all your time pulling it up, down and round about.
    I have been properly mask fitted at work, by occupational health and issued with a box of fitted masks.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yes, after negative LF tests Thursday and Friday before heading to work in a primary school, she got a positive LF this morning. Whilst I was approaching Darlington on my trip from nnorthern Aberdeenshire to that London...

She feels like crap, has lost her smell but isn't as ill as the girl was a week ago. Yet. Hope you are on the mend DD.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Foxy said:

But a cloth mask properly worn does help impede transmission IF the person wearing is sick and contagious.

And by wearing a mask for this purpose, you are encouraging others to do the same. Good for them - and you.

Obviously NOT fail safe. But helps shave the odds, which OUGHT to have some appeal to PBers?
    I think the point that most of the public don't really understand the difference between a cloth, an N95, FFP2, FFP3....

FFP3 are far superior, while not being very expensive. The thing I found is also that a good FFP3 fit snuggly and so I don't spend half my time pissing about pulling it up etc. I put it on and that is that.

A public education campaign would be very sensible. In the UK, we were even encouraged initially to make our own out of cloth. Where as now, any hardware store will sell you an FFP3 one.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Please post any evidence that cloth mask mandates reduce transmission over the long term. I'm calling BS.

Having evidence that people in controlled environments wearing masks properly, instead of mandates where people end up with chin hammocks, is a different thing.
    Why, so you can ignore it again and we'll be back to the same place in a few weeks time, with you pretending never to have seen it?

The most memorable paper I cited was about US states that did/did not mandate masks, and the differential between them. I seem to remember that the reduction in transmission was close to 50%. Properly controlled for demographics, etc.
    The key thing about that is that it was looking at mandates, not controlled environments, so it will include poor technique and less than total adoption, etc. It was a real-world A-B test with real results showing real harm reduction. I posted it to you before, you silently ignored it. I could go searching for it again, but I already did your homework once. You do it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Where's the evidence that such mandates cut rates in the long-term?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Cyclefree said:

I get your point, but youngsters have it tough at present times. I paid Fox Jr1's share of a deposit on his first house, and pay Fox Jr's rent in London. We try to be there for them in the tough times. Over-parenting? Perhaps, but when you can help your kids to a better life, isn't that the purpose of parenting?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Why, so you can ignore it again and we'll be back to the same place in a few weeks time, with you pretending never to have seen it?

The most memorable paper I cited was about US states that did/did not mandate masks, and the differential between them. I seem to remember that the reduction in transmission was close to 50%. Properly controlled for demographics, etc.
    The key thing about that is that it was looking at mandates, not controlled environments, so it will include poor technique and less than total adoption, etc. It was a real-world A-B test with real results showing real harm reduction. I posted it to you before, you silently ignored it. I could go searching for it again, but I already did your homework once. You do it.
    So you don't have any evidence, OK.

I'm not going looking for your imaginary evidence.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I think the point that most of the public don't really understand the difference between a cloth, an N95, FFP2, FFP3....

FFP3 are far superior, while not being very expensive.
    I've got a few N95s around, which I wear when I'm in higher-risk situations, say a crowded bus.

Otherwise go with cloth. But then I'm triple jabbed. And NOT hanging out in crowd much at all, and then for limited duration.

And the kind of place where I do go, the rate of masking (and also jabbing) is pretty high. For example, about 99% these days at my local supermarket.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Fuck off, I posted it once and you ignored it.
    You lazy, anti science fuck.
  • Options

Johnson has ratnered the party.
  • Options

The quality of the party in the Mirror pictures looks about the same as Ratners jewellery.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

I have never seen any such "evidence". If you posted it, I never saw it. I don't read every post.

But I don't believe any such evidence exists, which is why you're so shy to share it now. When I have evidence for my posts, I'm not coy about sharing it.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

I have never seen any such "evidence". If you posted it, I never saw it. I don't read every post.

But I don't believe any such evidence exists, which is why you're so shy to share it now. When I have evidence for my posts, I'm not coy about sharing it.
    I'm not shy, I'm tired.
    I'll find it tomorrow you lazy fuck, and you'll still ignore it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Cyclefree said:

He has been working 11 hour days in his job to earn extra money for the last few weeks and has been completely on his own for most of Covid. He has also suffered from very serious mental health problems in the past. But he has mostly coped fine. Mostly. As you may appreciate these sort of issues place a very great strain on family life so I think it important to try and rebuild and maintain those links and his siblings want that too, as does he - even if he can sometimes be his own worst enemy.

Currently his shift finishes at 8 pm on Xmas Eve and he starts again on the Monday. There are literally no trains that would get him here and back again so he would be completely alone. He has asked to do an earlier shift and start a later shift on his day back so he can use the train like everyone else. Hopefully his bosses will accommodate him.

But, especially if a new lockdown happens, I don't want him to be on his own and I want him to feel a part of his family and be here - in our first family Xmas in our new home. As does he.

Remember also my nephew died by his own hand last year. I do not want my son to feel left out. A car journey - if it has to happen - is a good opportunity for us to have some private time together.

• Options

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

SUNDAY EXPRESS: It’s make or break week #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1469797109520080902/photo/1

Two serious proper questions. Firstly How do we think the media narrative will go this week? For things to have legs, new and newsworthy things need to emerge don’t they? The wallpaper one is over now with geet not resigning. Party gate running out of steam in coming days as a news item? Restrictions rebellion has been muted by salami votes. And covid is going to dominate news agenda, and possibly the Ukraine invasion. Obviously what happens Thursday may make a difference.
    Secondly, the speaker has called time on parliament on Tuesday, almost like the bell ringing at a boxing match? Saving someone. Can any letters go in, be acted on, a vote take place when politics is in recess, acattered around the country wrapping presents?
    And without fuel in the media, where doth the polling?
    The Afghanistan story is also a bit too old now to come back, having been drowned out by the party.

Next week it’s N Shropshire. That’s either going to be the coup de grâce, or a reprieve that sees him safe for now.
    Regarding the Afghan story, is there still a select committee report to come?
    Yes
    So the story will likely be resurfaced at that point.

Plus, any further evidence of any Johnson involvement in the Nowzad evacuation would be extreely damaging.
    Thank you for your responses. The picture being painted is more difficulties for Boris exciting the media at some point, just probably not much until the by election? So it sort of dies down and off news programmes a bit?

Could it though flair up using other names? A lot of posters have mentioned the demeanour of Sunak in front the cameras this week - does he have a skeleton to be unearthed? He doesn’t have to be boozing or partying, just present at a large “gathering”?
    The other thing is what's the next scandal? There's bound to be one just around the corner.
    That’s a good point, there’s two ways of second guessing it. What could the next scandal for Boris I think you mean, but perhaps the government as a whole. What else could leak to be damaging? Minutes about covid procurements? The Afghan “operation hound” report could leak?

But also what news stories can help the government spinnmachine distract. Any other big news stories can break this week, pushing covid and Boris down the news?
    Russia have a lot of personnel sat around in the cold? What about last of the year economic announcements, huge leap in inflation or bad other measure spooking the markets? Or perhaps supply chain issues causing shopping panics?
    Very sorry for all these questions. Feeling like a Randy moonrabbit right now, I made the approach, but she said no, it might wake her parents.
    So sorry PB you are stuck with me. No one gets what they want tonight 😗
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

I managed to dodge it too when Mrs Foxy had it a year ago. It is weirdly patchy that this happens and someone else spreads it to 50
    I'm convinced this is two separate transmissions through two schools. Daughter went rapidly downhill Friday last week with positive LF Saturday morning. Last thing I did before heading south on the Thursday morning was hug her, and I didn't get it so assume she was clear at that point.

Wifey tested positive on LF this morning after negatives yesterday and Thursday before heading into (primary school) work. I'm still negative and feel great despite waking up this morning curled up spooning with skin to skin contact. Not saying a positive isn't in the post, and will of course be taking myself and the boy off for more PCRs. My booster is booked on the first day I am allowed out if I don't get caught...
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,378

Andy_JS said:

What? Both of them!
    As bad as St Theresa is claimed to be, I think that like John Major she will be remembered better in future than now.

Yes "nothing has changed". Yes "Brexit means Brexit". Yes "darkies go home". But she increased the Tory vote by 20% over 2015 in that silly re-election of 2017...
    May's problem was being a relatively honest politician (and I say that despite finding her politics distasteful) having to deliver an entirely dishonest project by making the odd compromise her party's headbangers weren't willing to make. Ultimately, although she was very strong in the polls due to Corbyn's uselessness outside his natural habitat of rallies, her great mistake was the 'Brexit Means Brexit' and 'Citizens of Nowhere'. That was at her moment of maximum strength when could have set out a plausible version of Brexit that was less toxic to opponents of it and united all but the ultras on either side behind a new relationship that was out politically but less so economically in the short term - and said she'd leave it open for her or future governments to decide what to do next once formally 'out'. Instead, she judged she had to deliver the impossible of a Hard Brexit without it getting messy - which she couldn't do, and only a snakeoil salesman prepared to lie and deal with the consequences later could. It would be fitting if she were to be behind his ousting.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I am not pretending to be a scientist. Just want to avoid getting someone else sick because I might be sick. And visa versa.

When I was a small boy, my Mom told me to cover my nose when I sneezed, to help keep my germs to myself. Never thought to ask her to cite evidence for what was self-evident.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Yes, after negative LF tests Thursday and Friday before heading to work in a primary school, she got a positive LF this morning. Whilst I was approaching Darlington on my trip from nnorthern Aberdeenshire to that London...

She feels like crap, has lost her smell but isn't as ill as the girl was a week ago. Yet. Hope you are on the mend DD.
    Yep. The repetitive negative LFT tests seems to be a recurring feature. As does complete loss of smell.
    I am well. Apart from having to think really carefully before I write.
    Hope all goes for the best for you and yours.
  • Options
    Good friendly atmosphere on here tonight

More opportunity for all participants to engage when #lockdown4 starts 27 Dec. For three months

GN all
  • Options

The quality of the party in the Mirror pictures looks about the same as Ratners jewellery.
    Shit party. Well worth throwing away your premiership for.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

I get your point, but youngsters have it tough at present times. I paid Fox Jr1's share of a deposit on his first house, and pay Fox Jr's rent in London. We try to be there for them in the tough times. Over-parenting? Perhaps, but when you can help your kids to a better life, isn't that the purpose of parenting?
    You should have a long chat with my mother...
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Depends on who you are. I tried it for a 90 minute commute and was hyperventilating at the end of it. Sure, they’re necessary, but the holier than thou stuff doesn’t work. I’m not directing this at you necessarily but how often have you changed your mind about a topic by someone negating your experiences, saying your feelings don’t matter, moralising at you or calling you names like “twat”?

That approach didn’t work for us in the 2016 referendum and they are sure as hell not going to persuade even cuddly liberal remainer like me to wear a FFP2. All such tactics are is, I’m afraid, and in that horrible phrase, virtue signalling. You are not better than anyone else on this board.
    Doug mate, its more aimed at the people screeching about masks being "lockdown". This is not lockdown. I've done 750 miles today. I absolutely despise masks, but they are a necessary evil.
    I’ve been posting here for nearly three years and absolutely lost it with a number of people on a number of occasions. I’ve never seen anyone’s mind changed by being belittled. I try and smoke a huge spliff before coming on now.
    Please send huuuuge spliff in my direction. Would help :smiley:
  • Options

Foxy said:

As I've said so many times a normal face mask is just the equivalent of clamping a handkerchief to your mouth when you sneeze. We all used to know that using a handkerchief helped stop the spread of cold and flu. They're not gas masks so of course they don't provide total protection but they do help
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Can anyone explain why cases in Scotland seem to be so much lower than in Wales?

God only knows. The fluctuation in case rates observed in the four constituent parts of the UK during the back end of this year has been interesting to say the least.

I wanted to test whether my recollection of what's been happening with cases since England dumped nearly all domestic restrictions in mid-July was anywhere close to accurate, so I simply went to the data dashboard and transcribed the case rates per 100,000 people for the first day of the month in August through to December. The results were a little odd:

1/8
    Scotland 144
    Wales 142
    England 284
    NI 438

1/9
    Scotland 794
    Wales 466
    England 312
    NI 534

1/10
    Scotland 321
    Wales 514
    England 336
    NI 395

1/11
    Scotland 330
    Wales 563
    England 409
    NI 427

1/12
    Scotland 344
    Wales 498
    England 476
    NI 637

Scotland appears to have had a particularly steep spike in cases around the end of the Summer, which I assume is associated with the earlier end of school Summer holidays there - despite the fact that I believe that mask mandates have been maintained continuously in Scottish secondaries since their return. After that, Scotland's case rate came back down and stabilised through the Autumn.

England had worse statistics than Scotland or Wales at the start of August, which I think must be to do with "freedom day" on July 19th, but has since outperformed Wales on case rates, despite the latter having kept tighter restrictions throughout, and has only gradually pulled ahead of Scotland through late Autumn.

Northern Ireland, where the authorities appear to have been more cautious about removing restrictions than anywhere else, was nevertheless in a substantially worse state than England in late Summer, closed the gap during the Autumn, but has recently pulled ahead of the whole of the rest of the country going into Winter.

Why it is that, broadly speaking, Wales appears to have had significantly higher case rates than both Scotland and England during the Autumn period (save for the Scottish case spike that was evident in the September comparison,) despite the fact that Wales and Scotland both retained some restrictions that England junked, isn't clear. One thing that the numbers don't appear to suggest is that low-level restrictions, notably the wearing of simple cloth or paper masks, are much use against Delta, but that may just be confirmation bias on my part because I doubt their value.

Anyway, all things being equal, if NPIs were making a significant difference then you'd expect England to be doing worse than the rest of the country for the bulk of the time. But things are evidently not equal. What else could be going on here?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Obviously that wasn't "the party"....and I reckon it probably was more rambunctious.

But the key quote in the article is that there was a culture of office piss ups that Boris didn't discourage, and I think that is why he has got himself in a bind.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Depends on who you are. I tried it for a 90 minute commute and was hyperventilating at the end of it. Sure, they’re necessary, but the holier than thou stuff doesn’t work. I’m not directing this at you necessarily but how often have you changed your mind about a topic by someone negating your experiences, saying your feelings don’t matter, moralising at you or calling you names like “twat”?

That approach didn’t work for us in the 2016 referendum and they are sure as hell not going to persuade even cuddly liberal remainer like me to wear a FFP2. All such tactics are is, I’m afraid, and in that horrible phrase, virtue signalling. You are not better than anyone else on this board.
    Doug mate, its more aimed at the people screeching about masks being "lockdown". This is not lockdown. I've done 750 miles today. I absolutely despise masks, but they are a necessary evil.
    I’ve been posting here for nearly three years and absolutely lost it with a number of people on a number of occasions. I’ve never seen anyone’s mind changed by being belittled. I try and smoke a huge spliff before coming on now.
    Please send huuuuge spliff in my direction. Would help :smiley:
    My local neighborhood pot shop has some tempting specials . . .
  • Options

That's the Conservatives for you.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

He has been working 11 hour days in his job to earn extra money for the last few weeks and has been completely on his own for most of Covid. He has also suffered from very serious mental health problems in the past. But he has mostly coped fine. Mostly. As you may appreciate these sort of issues place a very great strain on family life so I think it important to try and rebuild and maintain those links and his siblings want that too, as does he - even if he can sometimes be his own worst enemy.

Currently his shift finishes at 8 pm on Xmas Eve and he starts again on the Monday. There are literally no trains that would get him here and back again so he would be completely alone. He has asked to do an earlier shift and start a later shift on his day back so he can use the train like everyone else. Hopefully his bosses will accommodate him.

But, especially if a new lockdown happens, I don't want him to be on his own and I want him to feel a part of his family and be here - in our first family Xmas in our new home. As does he.

Remember also my nephew died by his own hand last year. I do not want my son to feel left out. A car journey - if it has to happen - is a good opportunity for us to have some private time together.

All very good points, thank you for taking the time to respond.

I can well understand why you want to take the time to ensure he's not on his own. I hope you get some rest time yourself amongst all that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes. All fair points.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    edited December 2021
    Can someone tell me why Gove is still a major influence over covid policy e.g. vaxports.

I thought one of the major bonuses of the reshuffle was that he had been removed from Cabinet office and sent to local government/housing were his baleful presence could no longer continually turn the ratchet on all sorts of mad biostate ideas?
  • Options
    New - NHS England will call up all over-30s who've been double jabbed >3mths ago to get booster from *Monday*

Vaccines chief Emily Lawson: "With the emergence of the new variant and the rising case numbers, there has never been a more important time to get boosted."

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1469819537516228608?s=20
  • Options

More opportunity for all participants to engage when #lockdown4 starts 27 Dec. For three months

GN all

Its coming. It will be hateful on every front. Absolute despair. Business destruction. Excuses and wazzockry even from sexytime people like Rishi. But unless there is a miraculous clearing of the data over the next week we are getting locked down hard. Sadly.
  • Options
    Is Gove pushing for plan c in order to bring down Johnson?
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Foxy said:

As I've said so many times a normal face mask is just the equivalent of clamping a handkerchief to your mouth when you sneeze. We all used to know that using a handkerchief helped stop the spread of cold and flu. They're not gas masks so of course they don't provide total protection but they do help
    Of course, influenza and Covid-19 are both respiratory illnesses but they are not caused by one and the same pathogen. It's not impossible that basic masks might turn out not to be much good against Covid but a halfway decent barrier to flu transmission. The absence of a flu season last Winter suggests that this might be the case; it'll be interesting to see if a suspicious absence of flu cases in hospitals is repeated again in the New Year.
  • Options

He is definitely on manoeuvres.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yep. The repetitive negative LFT tests seems to be a recurring feature. As does complete loss of smell.
    If as I suspect this was two separate school transmissions then the gates of hell truly are open. This is Aberdeenshire. An awful lot of nothing inbetween everywhere. If schools here are ridden with it (presumably Omicron) then think how much fun* is coming in busy urban areas.
  • Options

GN all

Not happening, Tory MPs would vote it down and no Tory PM would survive allowing it. Plus this time there would be riots to contend with too given the polling now shows most voters want to keep the pubs and restaurants open and not ban mixing with other households
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GN all

Not happening, Tory MPs would vote it down and no Tory PM would survive allowing it. Plus this time there would be riots to contend with too given the polling now shows most voters want to keep the pubs and restaurants open and not ban mixing with other households
    Lets see after 2-3 weeks of media banging on about 100k+ cases....people quickly go from very relaxed to very scared.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

What a rude reponse
    I don't take offence. All 3 are pretty independent and have been for some time. (Though not yet able to afford their own homes - tho' that is hardly uncommon these days). I do very little for them. I have not bought them property or cars. I don't even cook anymore. They are all excellent cooks. I occasionally hang out the washing. I am there when they want to vent or need someone to listen. I try to give advice if they ask. Otherwise I just try to be someone they can rely on and come to when/if they need me. I try to keep my worries about them to myself - and if I talk about them on here about them it's a way of me letting off steam to anonymous people - for which thank you.

Far from being a helicopter parent I am benignly neglectful. But I love them fiercely and deeply and make no apologies for that.
  • Options

GN all

Its coming. It will be hateful on every front. Absolute despair. Business destruction. Excuses and wazzockry even from sexytime people like Rishi. But unless there is a miraculous clearing of the data over the next week we are getting locked down hard. Sadly.
    Rochdale - sorry to hear of your domestic COVID issues and hope your family recover soon, and hopefully you don't get it!

Take care
  • Options

New - NHS England will call up all over-30s who've been double jabbed >3mths ago to get booster from *Monday*

Vaccines chief Emily Lawson: "With the emergence of the new variant and the rising case numbers, there has never been a more important time to get boosted."

There we go. Thanks to the wonder of PB monitoring the media, several of our thirtysomethings already knew the booking system had been updated, have got in ahead of the cavalry charge and already booked their appointments earlier this evening, which has to count as something of a result.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GN all

Lets see after 2-3 weeks of media banging on about 100k+ cases....people quickly go from very relaxed to very scared.
    Cases are irrelevant, it is hospitalisations that matter and vaccines, boosters and vaxports can deal with that.

Plus we have a Tory majority in parliament most of whose MPs will topple any Tory PM if they even consider another lockdown
  • Options

Yep. This omicron is busting through the double AZ vaxxed.
    Not much evidence of serious illness thus far, mind.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GN all

Cases are irrelevant, it is hospitalisations that matter and vaccines, boosters and vaxports can deal with that.

Plus we have a Tory majority in parliament most of whose MPs will topple any Tory PM if they even consider another lockdown
    I know cases are irrelevant, but I am saying the public quickly get very scared.

I am preparing for something that won't be called a "lockdown", but significantly heightened restrictions during Jan / Feb. We are seeing all the precursors over the past few days.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GN all

I know cases are irrelevant, but I am saying the public quickly get very scared.
    Some of the public can get as scared as they like and stay indoors if they want, we have a Tory majority in parliament which will vote down another lockdown trashing the economy and remove any PM who tries to impose one. End of.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

There we go. Thanks to the wonder of PB monitoring the media, several of our thirtysomethings already knew the booking system had been updated, have got in ahead of the cavalry charge and already booked their appointments earlier this evening, which has to count as something of a result.
    A result with no ideological bias or skew, the PB freemasonry.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

If as I suspect this was two separate school transmissions then the gates of hell truly are open. This is Aberdeenshire. An awful lot of nothing inbetween everywhere. If schools here are ridden with it (presumably Omicron) then think how much fun* is coming in busy urban areas.
    I know where I got it. I was pretty damn careful being as how my booster was due. A casual chat of half a dozen for less than half an hour in an otherwise empty building.
    The negative LFT despite symptoms is a really worrying development.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GN all

I am preparing for something that won't be called a "lockdown", but significantly heightened restrictions during Jan / Feb. We are seeing all the precursors over the past few days.
    Vaxports and LFTs being expanded to cinemas, theatres, pubs and restaurants from January maybe likely.

Full lockdown again is not
  • Options

Sunak-Gove vs Truss?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    BBC News - PM Boris Johnson took part in No 10 Christmas quiz last year
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59625432

The official response is Boris was just briefly thanking staff....

Clearly another lie and will blow up again.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The state of this response to you:
    You are spouting bullshit.
    You’re not a doctor, just a corrupt moron

Twitter is a swamp. Nuke from orbit is too good for it.
  • Options

Sunak-Gove vs Truss?
    Gove could be Chancellor to PM Sunak on that scenario
  • Options

Foxy said:

I am not pretending to be a scientist. Just want to avoid getting someone else sick because I might be sick. And visa versa.

When I was a small boy, my Mom told me to cover my nose when I sneezed, to help keep my germs to myself. Never thought to ask her to cite evidence for what was self-evident.
    When you sneeze fair enough.

Not when you breathe.
  • Options

Either way he dd it on Zoom so who cares
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GN all

Some of the public can get as scared as they like and stay in doors if they want, we have a Tory majority in parliament which will vote down another lockdown trashing the economy and remove any PM who tries to impose one. End of.
    Aren't the Conservatives reliant upon the pensioner voting block? Those who have the most to fear from the virus and are most supportive of lockdowns.

Boris putting business first may play well for the libertarians. Less so the covid fearing early voting oldies you need.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    dixiedean said:

There's no evidence that the Winnie-The-Pooh variant is widespread yet. Even with the shortest possible doubling times, it is still a minor component of a Delta based epidemic.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

Either way he dd it on Zoom so who cares
    The point is it is the lie / cover up again that is problem.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GN all

You sound very curt and cheesed of now HYUFD, and I can understand and empathise why. I don’t need to know what your non PB recreations are, but suggest why not a fasting away from PB day, touching base with the other things in your life?

In fact it can still be politics, just immersion yourself in some reading rediscovering what your own core value is, from what is a wide field on the political centre and right often in conflict. I suggested contrasts by Pugin the other day. He is Conservative. Libertarian ideas would be Ann Rand? Hayek is also very eloquent why Conservatism is right.

Being a fellow Christian have you gone into T S Eliot Ideas of a Christian Society?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunak-Gove vs Truss?
    Gove could be Chancellor to PM Sunak on that scenario
    Exactly.

Gove brings down Johnson by engineering plan c?

Has Truss got a partner for the dance?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Matt Hancock has talked up his prospects of becoming party leader and PM - source

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1469795802574958601?s=20
  • Options

dixiedean said:

There's no evidence that the Winnie-The-Pooh variant is widespread yet. Even with the shortest possible doubling times, it is still a minor component of a Delta based epidemic.
    Tim Spector estimates 4000 cases a day in London....
  • Options

Bye.

Time to write that Shakespeare crap book.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I know where I got it. I was pretty damn careful being as how my booster was due. A casual chat of half a dozen for less than half an hour in an otherwise empty building.
    The negative LFT despite symptoms is a really worrying development.
    It is. Problem is that Mrs RP has suffered heavy periods for a long time. And her subcutaneous patch has stopped preventing her from having them thanks to our 10 year-old daughter having started up (the power of hormones in action).

So wifey feeling crap yesterday / Thursday night was put down to blob. Not Covid. So negative tests were expected. Even Saturday morning as I left she didn't seem that ill.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GN all

Vaxports and LFTs being expanded to cinemas, theatres, pubs and restaurants from January maybe likely.

Full lockdown again is not
    What would you know
  • Options

Foxy said:

When you sneeze fair enough.

Not when you breathe.
    Sometime, yes. IF you're a heavy breather, or have done some heavy lifting or whatever.

Talking can also be problematic, esp. if you're a loud talker and get excited.

And of course singing - for example, by choirs - was a factor in a number of serious early COVID outbreaks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Matt Hancock has talked up his prospects of becoming party leader and PM - source

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1469795802574958601?s=20

More chance of Watford being in Champions League next season 👍
This discussion has been closed.