Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The week that the polls turned against the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited December 2021
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Zoom quiz photo is a letdown. Feels like when The Sun ran the handwritten letter from Brown to that dead soldier's family. The country too a different view than was intended, I think the mirror may end up helping Boris with that picture. It's the sad zoom quiz we all did for a few months.

Tip of the iceberg . . . with the Bad Ship Boris still steaming majestically through the iceberg belt . . .
    Maybe, but the pictures aren't showing any of that. Suddenly these number 10 parties will all look like they were drab zoom meetings. The Mirror have relentlessly ramped this picture as well and it's a zoom quiz.
    If this his Cummo you’d expect him to know that each revelation needs to be more shocking than the previous.
    This is more shocking than the Stratton video?
    Sadly not.

Technically it is, of course, since technically it is likely a breach of the rules. And it would be better if it could be tied to something he has previously denied. So we have photographic evidence of a breach of the law. Which will become important if (unlikely) the police decided to show some interest.

But in human terms seeing the PM sitting on a zoom call actually undermines the images of bacchanalian excess most of us have in mind after the Stratton video.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,772
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

SUNDAY EXPRESS: It’s make or break week #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1469797109520080902/photo/1

Two serious proper questions. Firstly How do we think the media narrative will go this week? For things to have legs, new and newsworthy things need to emerge don’t they? The wallpaper one is over now with geet not resigning. Party gate running out of steam in coming days as a news item? Restrictions rebellion has been muted by salami votes. And covid is going to dominate news agenda, and possibly the Ukraine invasion. Obviously what happens Thursday may make a difference.
    Secondly, the speaker has called time on parliament on Tuesday, almost like the bell ringing at a boxing match? Saving someone. Can any letters go in, be acted on, a vote take place when politics is in recess, acattered around the country wrapping presents?
    And without fuel in the media, where doth the polling?
    The Afghanistan story is also a bit too old now to come back, having been drowned out by the party.

Next week it’s N Shropshire. That’s either going to be the coup de grâce, or a reprieve that sees him safe for now.
    Regarding the Afghan story, is there still a select committee report to come?
  • Options
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Scott_xP said:

SUNDAY TELEGRAPH: PM faces Cabinet revolt over Covid rules #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1469786039258685442/photo/1

Lining up to oppose a popular policy sounds like the perfect response to plummeting in the polls.
    Superficially popular. If it was legitimately popular people would have been voluntarily wearing masks etc without requiring a mandate to go in.

Many things are superficially popular until they get announced at which point they become unpopular - the NI Tax Rise earlier this year was another example. It was superficially popular in polls when it was hypothetical, but once it became policy it was unpopular.
    yes funny how the tories dropped in the opinion polls just after they announced the mask mandate if mask wearing is so popular.
    Mask wearing isn’t popular. It’s just less popular than the consequences of not mandating it when it’s obviously needed. So the longer delayed, the worse the poll hit - because you lose the anti-science brigade (who you would always lose at that point) but you also lose the support of those frightened by the period of inaction and the prospect of longer, more severe measures than would otherwise have been needed.
    Given there is no proof masks work in the real world (beyond a lab or controlled setting) and a lot of evidence it makes no difference they are not the anti-science brigade by any means. Even if masks do somehow control the virus it is marginal and as everyone is going to get covid at some point it is nowhere near worth the cost in lost human social happiness
    Citation needed.
    What?
    Your rather absurd claim that there is no proof that masks work.
    There is no proof that mask mandates work over the long term.

If you think there is proof, then you should be supplying it, not demanding that he supplies you with proof that proof does not exist. You can't prove a negative.
    OK, so outrageous negatives can be stated all the time, and that's fine because you can't prove a negative? If masks had zero effectivity, we would surely have studies demonstrating that by now.
    Of course outrageous negatives can be stated all the time, and if they're wrong then that can be demonstrated by someone providing evidence for the positive.

If mask mandates had efficacy, we should surely have studies demonstrating that by now. Where are they?

The negative is the null hypothesis and there is no obligation on anyone to provide evidence for the negative. The negative gets ruled out by evidence to the contrary, no evidence to the contrary and the null hypothesis is always valid.
    I think that if someone is making the claim that masks are completely ineffective the onus should be on them to demonstrate that fact. Why can they make that claim without having to demonstrate it, but I do because I am arguing for the positive?
    Because the negative is the default. You can always challenge anything with a null hypothesis. The onus is on anyone making a positive claim, not a negative one.
    No, I disagree. If someone is making the claim that something doesn't work (whether it be masks, vaccines, or whatever) that doesn't give them the right to simply state that without providing any evidence of the claim.
    Well the WHO did not recommend mask wearing last year as they thought not effective . As it turns out they are right given masks dont stop people getting covid (we all will).What they stop is human interaction though and thats a shame and anyone who does not take that into account , well they need err citing
    I think that was more to do with shortages of the things. There weren't seven billion masks available at the time.

Anyway, back to your completely unsubstantiated claim that masks have zero effectiveness. Have a read of this:

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068302
  • Options

anyway the WHO advised against mask wearing until politicians and authoritarians got in on the case

Er, no...

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-masks-idUSKBN29X2S5
    you have too worrying a faith in a whiter than white establishment . They did say initiially masks had no effect and were pressured to change their mind
  • Options
    BTW, is the woman with the lap top pictured with Johnson, is she Allegra Stratton?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

A former politico has informed me the thing that should really concern Boris Johnson.

Someone or more is leaking a lot of information with evidence.

We never got to the bottom of the Hancock leak either...
    Please never post again with Hancock bottom leak in the same sentence.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Scott_xP said:

SUNDAY TELEGRAPH: PM faces Cabinet revolt over Covid rules #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1469786039258685442/photo/1

Lining up to oppose a popular policy sounds like the perfect response to plummeting in the polls.
    Superficially popular. If it was legitimately popular people would have been voluntarily wearing masks etc without requiring a mandate to go in.

Many things are superficially popular until they get announced at which point they become unpopular - the NI Tax Rise earlier this year was another example. It was superficially popular in polls when it was hypothetical, but once it became policy it was unpopular.
    yes funny how the tories dropped in the opinion polls just after they announced the mask mandate if mask wearing is so popular.
    Mask wearing isn’t popular. It’s just less popular than the consequences of not mandating it when it’s obviously needed. So the longer delayed, the worse the poll hit - because you lose the anti-science brigade (who you would always lose at that point) but you also lose the support of those frightened by the period of inaction and the prospect of longer, more severe measures than would otherwise have been needed.
    Given there is no proof masks work in the real world (beyond a lab or controlled setting) and a lot of evidence it makes no difference they are not the anti-science brigade by any means. Even if masks do somehow control the virus it is marginal and as everyone is going to get covid at some point it is nowhere near worth the cost in lost human social happiness
    Citation needed.
    What?

If you think there is proof, then you should be supplying it, not demanding that he supplies you with proof that proof does not exist. You can't prove a negative.
    OK, so outrageous negatives can be stated all the time, and that's fine because you can't prove a negative? If masks had zero effectivity, we would surely have studies demonstrating that by now.
    Of course outrageous negatives can be stated all the time, and if they're wrong then that can be demonstrated by someone providing evidence for the positive.

If mask mandates had efficacy, we should surely have studies demonstrating that by now. Where are they?

The negative is the null hypothesis and there is no obligation on anyone to provide evidence for the negative. The negative gets ruled out by evidence to the contrary, no evidence to the contrary and the null hypothesis is always valid.
    I think that if someone is making the claim that masks are completely ineffective the onus should be on them to demonstrate that fact. Why can they make that claim without having to demonstrate it, but I do because I am arguing for the positive?
    Because the negative is the default. You can always challenge anything with a null hypothesis. The onus is on anyone making a positive claim, not a negative one.
    No, I disagree. If someone is making the claim that something doesn't work (whether it be masks, vaccines, or whatever) that doesn't give them the right to simply state that without providing any evidence of the claim.
    Well the WHO did not recommend mask wearing last year as they thought not effective . As it turns out they are right given masks dont stop people getting covid (we all will).What they stop is human interaction though and thats a shame and anyone who does not take that into account , well they need err citing
    Still wrong:

PS That's a citation.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Zoom quiz photo is a letdown. Feels like when The Sun ran the handwritten letter from Brown to that dead soldier's family. The country too a different view than was intended, I think the mirror may end up helping Boris with that picture. It's the sad zoom quiz we all did for a few months.

Tip of the iceberg . . . with the Bad Ship Boris still steaming majestically through the iceberg belt . . .
    Maybe, but the pictures aren't showing any of that. Suddenly these number 10 parties will all look like they were drab zoom meetings. The Mirror have relentlessly ramped this picture as well and it's a zoom quiz.
    If this his Cummo you’d expect him to know that each revelation needs to be more shocking than the previous.
    Sadly not.
    Misread your original comment, sorry. Maybe evidence that the big brain isn't behind it (or at least behind one of the two).
  • Options
    Michael Gove is leading the push for tougher Plan C Covid-19 restrictions, including 'pub passports', after pandemic modelling showed the Omicron variant could cause more hospitalisations than last winter.

However, Boris Johnson and Downing Street are said to be resisting Mr Gove's calls for a new crackdown, as the Prime Minister faces a revolt from his own Conservative party in a vote over the introduction of Plan B rules.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10300139/Gove-leads-push-Plan-C-Covid-restrictions-dire-Omicron-modelling.html
  • Options

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

SUNDAY EXPRESS: It’s make or break week #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1469797109520080902/photo/1

Two serious proper questions. Firstly How do we think the media narrative will go this week? For things to have legs, new and newsworthy things need to emerge don’t they? The wallpaper one is over now with geet not resigning. Party gate running out of steam in coming days as a news item? Restrictions rebellion has been muted by salami votes. And covid is going to dominate news agenda, and possibly the Ukraine invasion. Obviously what happens Thursday may make a difference.
    Secondly, the speaker has called time on parliament on Tuesday, almost like the bell ringing at a boxing match? Saving someone. Can any letters go in, be acted on, a vote take place when politics is in recess, acattered around the country wrapping presents?
    The Afghanistan story is also a bit too old now to come back, having been drowned out by the party.

Next week it’s N Shropshire. That’s either going to be the coup de grâce, or a reprieve that sees him safe for now.
    Yes
  • Options
    I entered National Rail property at 07:12 this morning, left at 20:40 and had my FFP2 mask on pretty much all day. For all the anti-mask "its such an imposition" "its lockdown" twats out there, its not an imposition.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Have been away for three hours.
    So. Boris was quiz master at a party which didn't happen, nor did he know about?
    Or has my COVID addled brain got the wrong end of this stick?
    Frankly the last 6 years I could have been in a coma and dreamed it all. But the hallucinations seem to be intensifying if anything.

Different party from the one on the 18th. But I agree with others, this one’s pretty weak and may even help him by confusing people into thinking this was the big no10 bash and was just a handful of people sitting in a zoom meeting.

My theory about this last week is that it was really the Paterson affair and the arrogance of the attempt to change the rules that did the damage. It softened things up for the sucker punch this week. In all respects what the Tories did over Paterson was worse than the lying about the party.
    Yes. Paterson was the turning point. Came out of a clear blue sky. If only the entitled git had paid back the money and done his time gracefully history would be different.
    But entitled gits gotta entitled git I guess.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

BTW, is the woman with the lap top pictured with Johnson, is she Allegra Stratton?

Is that Sherpa Tensing?

No, Ma'm, he's just flexing his muscles.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Held off commenting until now but here are my reflections as a Civil Servant on the myriad party stories. Whatever the press says about public sector staff WFH, a significant group at the centre worked long hours in the office throughout the pandemic in order to keep the lights on. I have some sympathy for the slippery line between blowing off some steam as a team and holding a full blown party. Doubtless some teams got it wrong and a swift apology would be appropriate. I'm also conflicted because it would have been quite easy for Boris to sell out his staff once the story blew up. However, the reflexive denial and the arrogant belief that even the most ridiculous statement can become true if repeated enough is hard to understand. If Boris had taken responsibility for his staff and apologised then this story could have been put to bed quickly with the appropriate lessons learnt

The issue with that is that there were millions of people working long hours in the office or factory floor or hospital and they were not able to say, sod it lets have a few drinks because we deserve them. Yes they may have deserved them but they chose to follow the guidance and forego them. Civil Servants are no different to many millions of other essential workers who cannot work from home no matter what the risk.
    I agree but we might have to be a bit pragmatic about investigating this. Would sacking the entire senior civil service in Whitehall with immediate effect be a good idea?
    Ooo its a tempting thought :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127

Anyone else concerned that PM of the UK is using an insecure video conference software like Zoom?

Still.......after it was made clear really early on in the pandemic the background of Zoom.

The Chinese just piss themselves at how poor many Western government approach to IT security is.
    It was founded by a Chinese American? A bit dodgy to suggest all Chinese Anericans work for Beijing
  • Options

Anyone else concerned that PM of the UK is using an insecure video conference software like Zoom?

What do you mean insecure?

The chinese government hacks are very secure.
  • Options

I entered National Rail property at 07:12 this morning, left at 20:40 and had my FFP2 mask on pretty much all day. For all the anti-mask "its such an imposition" "its lockdown" twats out there, its not an imposition.

It is an imposition.

You may be OK with such an imposition, but then that should be your choice. At least you had a proper mask on and not a cloth piece of crap.
  • Options

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes
    So the story will likely be resurfaced at that point.

Plus, any further evidence of any Johnson involvement in the Nowzad evacuation would be extreely damaging.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

Still.......after it was made clear really early on in the pandemic the background of Zoom.

The Chinese just piss themselves at how poor many Western government approach to IT security is.
    It was founded by a Chinese American? A bit dodgy to suggest all Chinese Anericans work for Beijing
    Traffic goes through Chinese servers and a large portion of the dev team are in China. The founder can be totally above board, but with a setup like that, you are still massively exposed.

https://technode.com/2020/04/13/is-zoom-crazy-to-count-on-chinese-rd/
  • Options

It is an imposition.

You may be OK with such an imposition, but then that should be your choice. At least you had a proper mask on and not a cloth piece of crap.
    I have to wear one for some aspects of my job, up to 12 hours a day sometimes. They are definitely an imposition. Can't wait to get rid of the things.
  • Options

Michael Gove is leading the push for tougher Plan C Covid-19 restrictions, including 'pub passports', after pandemic modelling showed the Omicron variant could cause more hospitalisations than last winter.

However, Boris Johnson and Downing Street are said to be resisting Mr Gove's calls for a new crackdown, as the Prime Minister faces a revolt from his own Conservative party in a vote over the introduction of Plan B rules.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10300139/Gove-leads-push-Plan-C-Covid-restrictions-dire-Omicron-modelling.html

Damn! This being a PM involves actual pressures and actual work.

Who'da thunk it, eh?
  • Options

Someone needs to tell Gove to f**k off. What does it have to do with Levelling Up anyway?

Perhaps someone could introduce Gove to the man who said we'd had enough of experts who constantly get things wrong?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,899
    edited December 2021
    Interesting fact: at the last 7 general elections since and including 1997, the Tories have had 6 different leaders. The only time they went into two successive elections with the same leader was 2010 and 2015 with David Cameron. The point is: the Tories are more likely than not to go into the next election with a new leader.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

anyway the WHO advised against mask wearing until politicians and authoritarians got in on the case

We have learned a lot since then.
    Or they have become a way to seen to be doing something? Funny how we have learnt a lot in 18 months about masks that the WHO overturned their advice with about a hundred years before that of mask wearing studies that initially said they believed they were not effective. Its not as if masks were invented in 2020
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Held off commenting until now but here are my reflections as a Civil Servant on the myriad party stories. Whatever the press says about public sector staff WFH, a significant group at the centre worked long hours in the office throughout the pandemic in order to keep the lights on. I have some sympathy for the slippery line between blowing off some steam as a team and holding a full blown party. Doubtless some teams got it wrong and a swift apology would be appropriate. I'm also conflicted because it would have been quite easy for Boris to sell out his staff once the story blew up. However, the reflexive denial and the arrogant belief that even the most ridiculous statement can become true if repeated enough is hard to understand. If Boris had taken responsibility for his staff and apologised then this story could have been put to bed quickly with the appropriate lessons learnt

The issue with that is that there were millions of people working long hours in the office or factory floor or hospital and they were not able to say, sod it lets have a few drinks because we deserve them. Yes they may have deserved them but they chose to follow the guidance and forego them. Civil Servants are no different to many millions of other essential workers who cannot work from home no matter what the risk.
    I agree but we might have to be a bit pragmatic about investigating this. Would sacking the entire senior civil service in Whitehall with immediate effect be a good idea?
    My daughter works for the DWP and she and her team have worked from home throughout the pandemic
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Scott_xP said:

Citation needed.
    B
    What?

Besides which, we have been accumulating what appears like good evidence against the efficacy of low-level restrictions (most notably the widespread use of cloth or paper face coverings, as distinct from medical grade masks which are not in routine use by most of the population,) for most of the second half of this year. If they were so valuable then why has England, which essentially had no domestic restrictions (except in health and care settings) from the middle of July until the end of November, not been experiencing substantially worse rates of infection and hospitalisation throughout that period than the rest of the UK, where more rules have been kept in place?

To the best of my recollection, Scotland had slightly worse numbers at the end of Summer (after its schools came back before those in the rest of the country,) slightly better numbers later in the Autumn, and is currently reported as possibly having a slightly faster doubling rate for the new Omicron variant than the rest of the country. England and Wales have diverged on restrictions but remained in lockstep i.r.o. infection rates. Northern Ireland, which has retained slightly tighter restrictions than Scotland, currently has case rates comfortably above 500 per 100,000 per week in every single local authority area.

It'd be interesting to know if anyone competent in the analysis of statistics had actually taken the numbers for this period and crunched them, to see if there's any evidence buried in the statistics at all to suggest that differential regulation has made a significant difference to the course of the pandemic between the constituent parts of the UK.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sadly not.
    Misread your original comment, sorry. Maybe evidence that the big brain isn't behind it (or at least behind one of the two).
    Or that the big brain assumed it would seem worse because the PM is actually in the photo and technically it is a breach, but didn’t allow for the expectations that would be raised by Stratton. When playing 3-D chess it’s easy to overlook one small but critical detail.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And a bid dodgy to suggest that THAT was what FrancisUrquhart was suggesting?
  • Options

Er, no...

you have too worrying a faith in a whiter than white establishment . They did say initiially masks had no effect and were pressured to change their mind
    Please post a link to where they said it then.
  • Options

Er, no...

And this time it's not a negative, so the onus is on him. ;)
  • Options

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes

Plus, any further evidence of any Johnson involvement in the Nowzad evacuation would be extreely damaging.
    I listened carefully to the evidence and the head of the FO had a car crash

I will look forward to their important report before speculating about their conclusions
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,217

Depends on who you are. I tried it for a 90 minute commute and was hyperventilating at the end of it. Sure, they’re necessary, but the holier than thou stuff doesn’t work. I’m not directing this at you necessarily but how often have you changed your mind about a topic by someone negating your experiences, saying your feelings don’t matter, moralising at you or calling you names like “twat”?

That approach didn’t work for us in the 2016 referendum and they are sure as hell not going to persuade even cuddly liberal remainer like me to wear a FFP2. All such tactics are is, I’m afraid, and in that horrible phrase, virtue signalling. You are not better than anyone else on this board.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,128

The only way for Boris to hang on and win again would be to start publicly saying he is ignoring sage and lockdown extremists and say all restrictions are being lifted - he has about until the end of Jan I think to do that

What on earth makes you think that would improve his ratings? Quite the opposite, as all the relevant opinion polling confirms.

I accept you have sincere views on the approach to covid but public opinion is not with you.
    just go into any Macdonalds or a pub and see how popular restrictions are in reality (not some opinion poll that can easiliy be manipulated or people feeling they have to say something virtuous
    Do you understand the term 'self-selection'?

How do you explain this:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/01/uk-hospitality-firms-hit-by-christmas-party-cancellations-over-omicron-fears

or this:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-super-spreader-office-christmas-parties-abandoned-qjwnzxc2n

or this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/11/25/office-christmas-parties-risk-pub-bookings-struggle/

People fearing isolation over Christmas, not the virus itself. We have seen it on here. Will these people also be cancelling all their Christmas guests and pulling their children out of school? No.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Er, no...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world/coronavirus-who-masks-recommendation-trnd/index.html

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,637
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Is that Sherpa Tensing?

No, Ma'm, he's just flexing his muscles.
    Meaning you do NOT think that Allegra Stratton is the woman pictured with Boris? I suggest it is her.

Does that mean anything? Maybe not. But it's interesting coincidence IF it is her connecting the dots.

BTW, agree that this particular pic is NOT a smoking gun. More like a spent shotgun shell.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

My daughter works for the DWP and she and her team have worked from home throughout the pandemic
    @Richard_Tyndall and @NorthofStoke are falling into the trap of confusing their dislike of the civil service with Johnson parties, that were, it seems, largely not civil servants but Johnson's political teams.

Plus if we sacked all the Whitehall civil servants we'd be left with 🛒 and his team running the show unchecked by commonsense. Not a happy prospect.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sadly not.
    Or that the big brain assumed it would seem worse because the PM is actually in the photo and technically it is a breach, but didn’t allow for the expectations that would be raised by Stratton. When playing 3-D chess it’s easy to overlook one small but critical detail.
    You reckon any of this shower could play 2-D chess?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,143
    MAIL ON SUNDAY: Boris Blast At BBC over Partygate #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1469805811824304136/photo/1
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Scott_xP said:

Citation needed.
    What?

They also famously said it was a very bad idea to halt international travel.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014

Stereodog said:

And are they still sanctioning people who don’t turn up at the Job Centre in person?
  • Options

Stereodog said:

And are they still sanctioning people who don’t turn up at the Job Centre in person?
    My daughter as you would expect does not talk to me about her work
  • Options

It is an imposition.

Imposition my arse. Its a mask. It means that I and the people around me are protected from each other. Travel is still fun - well right up until wifey posts positive test result and you think "ah bollox" and start shopping for trip north options whilst doing 125mph southwards.

People keep screeching about "lockdown". Wearing a mask is not "lockdown". I would not have been allowed to sit on a train for 704 miles today if it was lockdown. What I have now is lockdown. Park the car, walk back up the drive, close the gates. Do not pass go, do not collect Lasagne Pies from Bruce of the Broch.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

Zoom quiz photo is a letdown. Feels like when The Sun ran the handwritten letter from Brown to that dead soldier's family. The country took a different view than was intended, I think the mirror may end up helping Boris with that picture. It's the sad zoom quiz we all did for a few months.

Yep. The pictures are absolutely rubbish. I’m stunned the Mirror ran them. Imagination was better than reality. Looks like a god-awful ‘party’, made me shudder to remember the Days of Zoom.

Never again, I hope.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

... And it would be better if it could be tied to something he has previously denied. So we have photographic evidence of a breach of the law. Which will become important if (unlikely) the police decided to show some interest. ...

Apparently the Met have received a letter from Bindman's (acting on behalf of the Good Law Project) warning them that a lawsuit / Judicial Review will be launched against them if they fail to investigate the alleged breaches in No.10
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Scott_xP said:

Citation needed.
    What?

They also famously said it was a very bad idea to halt international travel.
    well it probably is given the recent SA ban did f all to stop Omicron even if it was worth stopping
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Can anyone explain why cases in Scotland seem to be so much lower than in Wales?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,594

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes

Thank you for your responses. The picture being painted is more difficulties for Boris exciting the media at some point, just probably not much until the by election? So it sort of dies down and off news programmes a bit?

Could it though flair up using other names? A lot of posters have mentioned the demeanour of Sunak in front the cameras this week - does he have a skeleton to be unearthed? He doesn’t have to be boozing or partying, just present at a large “gathering”?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    DougSeal said:

Depends on who you are. I tried it for a 90 minute commute and was hyperventilating at the end of it. Sure, they’re necessary, but the holier than thou stuff doesn’t work. I’m not directing this at you necessarily but how often have you changed your mind about a topic by someone negating your experiences, saying your feelings don’t matter, moralising at you or calling you names like “twat”?

That approach didn’t work for us in the 2016 referendum and they are sure as hell not going to persuade even cuddly liberal remainer like me to wear a FFP2. All such tactics are is, I’m afraid, and in that horrible phrase, virtue signalling. You are not better than anyone else on this board.
    All day everyday for me at work. Hyperventilating after 90 min?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A former politico has informed me the thing that should really concern Boris Johnson.

If true that likely dooms them if it emerges who they are, the Tories rarely reward overt disloyalty to the leader of the day as Heseltine and Portillo and Gove found to their cost in their leadership bids
    In your view, where did Boris Johnson rate on the loyalty meter re: Cameron and May?
  • Options

Er, no...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world/coronavirus-who-masks-recommendation-trnd/index.html

They've been shown to be wrong on this. Just look at the paper I cited.

Anyway, I still think this was a political decision due to the massive shortages of PPE at the start of the pandemic.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

@Richard_Tyndall and @NorthofStoke are falling into the trap of confusing their dislike of the civil service with Johnson parties, that were, it seems, largely not civil servants but Johnson's political teams.

Plus if we sacked all the Whitehall civil servants we'd be left with 🛒 and his team running the show unchecked by commonsense. Not a happy prospect.
    I understand no 10 has both groups working there so do you have any evidence there were not any civil servants present
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,217
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Anxiety.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Er, no...

Good grief, did you actually read that? The article certainly does not say "masks have no effect". Quite the opposite.

At a time when there was a significant shortage of PPE including masks, the WHO reasonably asked that they be prioritised for front line staff:

""We need to be clear," Van Kerkhove said last week. "The world is facing a significant shortage of PPE for our frontline workers -- including masks and gloves and gowns and face shields -- and protecting our health care workers must be the top priority for use of this PPE.""
  • Options
    Anyway, home now, negative for now, wifey ill but not dying, kids meh but not upset by the abrupt end of term. Am consoling myself by having a wee drinkie.

You know Liar is finished because the various candidates to replace him are already briefing the media. Ravey Mikey Govey. Sunak. Truss. Priti Vacant. I love St Theresa and "operation revenge".

Will the last HYUFD supporting Liar please turn out the lights...?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Er, no...

Anyway, I still think this was a political decision due to the massive shortages of PPE at the start of the pandemic.
    So the WHO have been shown to be "wrong" have they - how many people do the WHO employ ? How many scientists ? Who has shown them to be "wrong" or twisted thier arm perhaps? Wake up
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Doug mate, its more aimed at the people screeching about masks being "lockdown". This is not lockdown. I've done 750 miles today. I absolutely despise masks, but they are a necessary evil.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Tbf to the PM.
    The most egregious sanctions largely ended when he came to office. Accelerated by COVID, but this began before that.
    The DWP has become much more reasonable than under Cameron and May.
  • Options

RobD said:

Er, no...

So the WHO have been shown to be "wrong" have they - how many people do the WHO employ ? How many scientists ? Who has shown them to be "wrong" or twisted thier arm perhaps? Wake up
    Ah, it's a conspiracy? Did you look at the paper I cited? I assume they are in on it too.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Anxiety.
    I hear you. I've had multiple full-blown panic attacks in shops with a mask on. But they are not lockdown
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sadly not.
    Go Fish would seem beyond their ken.
  • Options

It is an imposition.

Imposition my arse. Its a mask. It means that I and the people around me are protected from each other. Travel is still fun - well right up until wifey posts positive test result and you think "ah bollox" and start shopping for trip north options whilst doing 125mph southwards.

People keep screeching about "lockdown". Wearing a mask is not "lockdown". I would not have been allowed to sit on a train for 704 miles today if it was lockdown. What I have now is lockdown. Park the car, walk back up the drive, close the gates. Do not pass go, do not collect Lasagne Pies from Bruce of the Broch.
    There can be more than one level of lockdown.

That's like saying you're not locked down because you aren't in a literal prison with a guard at the other side of the door.

But yes the extra impositions if you test positive are a massive incentive to never take a test. We've got a holiday booked in January next year and there's no chance whatsoever I'd be taking a test in the build up to that.

Its testing positive, not being positive, that brings in the extra obligations so don't take tests.
  • Options

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes

Thank you for your responses. The picture being painted is more difficulties for Boris exciting the media at some point, just probably not much until the by election? So it sort of dies down and off news programmes a bit?

Could it though flair up using other names? A lot of posters have mentioned the demeanour of Sunak in front the cameras this week - does he have a skeleton to be unearthed? He doesn’t have to be boozing or partying, just present at a large “gathering”?
    The news cycle will be dominated by partygate and the conservative rebellion on Tuesday before the result of North Shropshire by Friday morning

If Boris survives to Christmas then I expect he will be safe until the early new year but in peril of losing his mps support then
  • Options

You said on here the other day that you hate wearing masks. Make your mind up!
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    IshmaelZ said:

Deffo. What is pathetic is the low to nil shock value of the dross the Mirror have doubtless paid £££ for, given what is obviously available when you look at the Hancock shagging pix.
    He wasn’t shagging, he had his hand on her arse, big difference
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Er, no...

Ah, it's a conspiracy? Did you look at the paper I cited? I assume they are in on it too.
    The truth is the WHO weren't wrong - they did not say what @state_go_away claims they said. See my other post upthread.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If true that likely dooms them if it emerges who they are, the Tories rarely reward overt disloyalty to the leader of the day as Heseltine and Portillo and Gove found to their cost in their leadership bids
    In your view, where did Boris Johnson rate on the loyalty meter re: Cameron and May?
    He disagreed with them on policy, he did not brief against them or leak information about them
  • Options
    edited December 2021

MaxPB said:

Zoom quiz photo is a letdown. Feels like when The Sun ran the handwritten letter from Brown to that dead soldier's family. The country took a different view than was intended, I think the mirror may end up helping Boris with that picture. It's the sad zoom quiz we all did for a few months.

Yep. The pictures are absolutely rubbish. I’m stunned the Mirror ran them. Imagination was better than reality. Looks like a god-awful ‘party’, made me shudder to remember the Days of Zoom.

Never again, I hope.
    Clever marketers will use that image to advocate going to their club night for a proper party....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sadly not.
    speaking of chess , i play to a ELo of around 850-900 on chess.com . My teen daughter plays a bit but only casually and soem of her sixth form mates do - most also have a rating of around 850-900 . However my daughter thought I had a rating of 2500 (she has no idea of how the ratings work) so all her school now think I am grandmaster level. Not still "hang my queen to a forked knight attach level!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What else regarding the background of Zoom was he suggesting?
  • Options

I had an FFP2 mask on for about an hour last week to get my booster dose and it is hard to explain my feelings of panic. There was a moment when I was in the second queue that I felt I was on the verge of losing my last shred of control and falling to the ground to curl up and hide.

It's been suggested to me that I would qualify for an exemption from wearing the masks, but I think that being the only person not wearing a mask in such a situation might possibly be the only thing that would be worse. This is not an imposition, it is far worse than that. I will actively avoid any situation that requires me to wear a mask.

Does this make me a twat?

For how long am I to be excluded from society?
    Are you claiming that masks do nothing? That they are just a fake state control method? Then you're not a @state_go_away .

Again. I hate masks. Suffer the steam up. Have had horrible panic attacks. But if its that or my crowded train earlier has "100 people in a room with 1 undiagnosed Omicron case and 50 are infected" then I wear a mask.

Whats the alternative?
  • Options

Anyway, home now, negative for now, wifey ill but not dying, kids meh but not upset by the abrupt end of term. Am consoling myself by having a wee drinkie.

You know Liar is finished because the various candidates to replace him are already briefing the media. Ravey Mikey Govey. Sunak. Truss. Priti Vacant. I love St Theresa and "operation revenge".

Will the last HYUFD supporting Liar please turn out the lights...?

Hope your wife gets better soon and make your drink a large one
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Doug mate, its more aimed at the people screeching about masks being "lockdown". This is not lockdown. I've done 750 miles today. I absolutely despise masks, but they are a necessary evil.
    They're not necessary, just evil.

Anyone who wishes to wear a mask is able to wear an FFP2 or FFP3 mask that will protect them. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for anyone else to wear one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He disagreed with them on policy, he did not brief against them or leak information about them
    Hahahahaha!
  • Options
    "Internal canvassing data shows the Liberal Democrats on 39 per cent in North Shropshire and the Tories on 40 per cent with four days to go. The Conservatives held the seat with an almost 23,000 majority in 2019, but the by-election was triggered by the resignation of Owen Paterson after his Commons suspension for lobbying.

The by-election comes a week after the cabinet secretary launched an investigation into claims of a party at Downing Street last December. Local Tories are worried about the impact of the scandal and have said the election could be won by as few as 500 votes."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8e0d7456-5abf-11ec-a18c-c6d6c5855d8c?shareToken=3d1f72b4c4c6ea7c27fa1a35fc32695d
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I provided a link to the issue with Zoom. The founder doesn't need to be part of the Chinese deep state for there to be serious issues.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

You are a doctor and used to wearing masks but many do not like them including myself who has breathing issues but wears them out of respect for others

I not sure questioning someone's reaction is fair considering
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021

I had an FFP2 mask on for about an hour last week to get my booster dose and it is hard to explain my feelings of panic. There was a moment when I was in the second queue that I felt I was on the verge of losing my last shred of control and falling to the ground to curl up and hide.

It's been suggested to me that I would qualify for an exemption from wearing the masks, but I think that being the only person not wearing a mask in such a situation might possibly be the only thing that would be worse. This is not an imposition, it is far worse than that. I will actively avoid any situation that requires me to wear a mask.

Are you claiming that masks do nothing? That they are just a fake state control method? Then you're not a @state_go_away .

Again. I hate masks. Suffer the steam up. Have had horrible panic attacks. But if its that or my crowded train earlier has "100 people in a room with 1 undiagnosed Omicron case and 50 are infected" then I wear a mask.

Whats the alternative?
    The alternative is that you get a vaccine, that you wear an FFP3 mask if you need to do so, and that life goes on.
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson accused of personally breaking Covid laws by hosting a Christmas quiz in No10 last year - and we've got pictures

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1469790405449424903?s=20

Why do people think that the CCTV camera is covered with a black plastic bag in the photo?
  • Options

You said on here the other day that you hate wearing masks. Make your mind up!
    FFS I do hate wearing them. With a passion. But they work. And going about my business with a mask is not lockdown. Have got a conspiracy theorist nut-job on here denying their efficacy and claiming dark powers at work. They are the anti-maskers I speak of, not the people who wear them and hate them. Because they are wearing them. So they aren't anti-mask.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson accused of personally breaking Covid laws by hosting a Christmas quiz in No10 last year - and we've got pictures

Why do people think that the CCTV camera is covered with a black plastic bag in the photo?
    wasnt that done after the mike hancock episode
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Has the leaker out themselves? There is a picture in the article of a tv hung on the wall, which the leaker took a photo of the zoom quiz.

I presume those in the know will know which room that is (especially as there is a piece of art work in the shot) and who would be in there.

Also why is something pixelated out in them in front of the clocks? Is that a person?
  • Options
    The masks thing is bonkers. If people want to wear a mask, wear a FF3 (or whatever they are called) and have done. The government should make this clearer, and state fund these masks for vulnerable people. Lecturing others is a bit ridiculous when anyone can wear a FF3 mask as and when they wish!
  • Options

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes

The news cycle will be dominated by partygate and the conservative rebellion on Tuesday before the result of North Shropshire by Friday morning

If Boris survives to Christmas then I expect he will be safe until the early new year but in peril of losing his mps support then
    That sounds about right. 🙂

Will the commons rebellion, that is now only large on vaxports it has been separated from other measures, really be thst newsworthy though. It’s not a lost vote.

And is there anyway he can grab the initiative? Voluntarily submitting to Laura Kunsberg?
  • Options

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes

The other thing is what's the next scandal? There's bound to be one just around the corner.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is is NOT suitable security-wise for a Prime Minister?

BTW, yours truly got an email the other day, with reference to this:

"The $85 million lawsuit claimed that Zoom improperly shared users' personal information and had insufficient security on its platform, according to Yahoo News. Some customers have received an email from “NoReply@ZoomMeetingsClassAction.com.” Despite a spam-sounding name, the address is real, Vice reported."

Now, fact is that I signed up for Zoom at one point, but never used it, because my computer setup is so antiquated. Which was fine by me, gave me excuse to avoid the whole thing, and skip some pretty worthless meetings.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Er, no...

Look i am getting tired of you - you asked me to "cite" some evidence of the WHO saying they did not think masks worked and I did . You then stated they were wrong -I am not sure what else I can do to change your 100% view of the world and its whiter than white leadership
  • Options

Has the leaker out themselves? There is a picture in the article of a tv hung on the wall, which the leaker took a photo of. I presume those in the know will know which room that is and who would be in there.

The fascinating thing now is who is putting the boot in. A lot of people want Liar gone. But then again whats the point if Gove/Sunak/Hunt/Patel/Truss take over? So put the boot in both to Liar and whichever faction you dislike.
  • Options

Foxy said:

A sudden GPC card procurement for 150 black bags 😆
  • Options
    Look at these wankers:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/11/dancers-fear-careers-manager-quits-amid-trans-row/

Their boss invites them to dinner and they complain that her showing them her childrens’ bedroom was aggression.

What complete total bellends some of these trans campaigners are becoming.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The party was before the Matt Hancock episode.

Is covering up CCTV cameras routine in number 10? If so, why is that? And doesn't it have security implications?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021

The masks thing is bonkers. If people want to wear a mask, wear a FF3 (or whatever they are called) and have done. The government should make this clearer, and state fund these masks for vulnerable people. Lecturing others is a bit ridiculous when anyone can wear a FF3 mask as and when they wish!

The evidence is that FFP3 masks work incredibly, incredibly well - and yet nothing has been done to encourage people to get those.

So lets instead argue about people putting pieces of cloth over their face instead!

Cloth masks are the fallacy of "something must be done, this is something, therefore this must be done". We should have entirely voluntary masking, but instead be encouraging those who are wearing masks to wear ones of the quality standard that they actually work.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Er, no...

Look i am getting tired of you - you asked me to "cite" some evidence of the WHO saying they did not think masks worked and I did . You then stated they were wrong -I am not sure what else I can do to change your 100% view of the world and its whiter than white leadership
    Question - have you been jabbed and if so whose nanobots are in your bloodstream?

If you have an uncontrollable urge to buy a Zune off Ebay and start loading your music collection onto it in .wma format, you got the Gates ones.
  • Options

My advice is to not wear one - nobody is challenging non -wearers (as they are a lot now ) - If they do just say you are exempt , no need to provide any proof
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,416

Whats the alternative?
    The alternative is that we trust that the vaccines work, and we go back to normal (with the exception, hopefully, of better hygiene, people not going out unnecessarily when they know they have an infectious disease, and working in an office reserved for genuine collaboration rather than for managers to play like everyone is in the panopticon).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is is NOT suitable security-wise for a Prime Minister?

BTW, yours truly got an email the other day, with reference to this:

"The $85 million lawsuit claimed that Zoom improperly shared users' personal information and had insufficient security on its platform, according to Yahoo News. Some customers have received an email from “NoReply@ZoomMeetingsClassAction.com.” Despite a spam-sounding name, the address is real, Vice reported."

Now, fact is that I signed up for Zoom at one point, but never used it, because my computer setup is so antiquated. Which was fine by me, gave me excuse to avoid the whole thing, and skip some pretty worthless meetings.
    EDIT - BTW, I helped elect the first Chinese American governor of Washington. Who went on to become the first Chinese American ambassador to China.

The Chinese government hated his guts, in part because he made them look bad - he was a former Boy Scout, not a current crook/despot - but mostly because he was American first, Chinese second; a cardinal sin in Beijing's eyes.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

Er, no...

No, I asked you to cite evidence that masks are ineffective. I've cited evidence showing they are effective, so where is yours? A press release from the early days of the pandemic doesn't really cut it.
  • Options

The evidence is that FFP3 masks work incredibly, incredibly well - and yet nothing has been done to encourage people to get those.

So lets instead argue about people putting pieces of cloth over their face instead!

Cloth masks are the fallacy of "something must be done, this is something, therefore this must be done". We should have entirely voluntary masking, but instead be encouraging those who are wearing masks to wear ones of the quality standard that they actually work.
    I don't think the public really understand any of this. I see a lot of people very religious with their mask usage but using a cloth one. If you are extremely concerned about such things, you need an FFP3, your cloth mask isn't an invincibility shield.
This discussion has been closed.