Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

EX-PBER DAVID HERDSON JOINS THE YORKSHIRE PARTY – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Bit of a twist in the tale..

Say it isn't so
    No, he has confirmed it is, and is ashamed of his behaviour. What more do you want him to do?
    A good apology too.

There's a difference between bad remarks made by people years ago that they apologise for when brought up - and doing racist stuff today and covering it up when people complain.
    Sure, but isn't this whole story about what people did years ago?
    No, the Rafiq stuff is about now.

You've got people in charge at Yorkshire right now who think using Zimbo for Zimbabwe is racist and worth of disciplinary action but calling someone a Paki isn't.
    The problem with this 'find the racist game' is that it's open to any number of players and can veer in unexpected directions as Rafiq is now finding out. His testimony has effectively wrecked the career of an ex England captain and exposed himself as not only a racist but a hypocrite so will probably wreck his own future career as well.

These witch hunts are extremely ugly and should be stopped before they get out of hand. An unpopular cricketer was bullied under the noses of his employers and for this they have questions to answer. But leave the racism out of it.

How does one separate the racism from the bullying when the nature of the bullying was racist?
    Does the fact that it was racist in nature make the bullying uniquely bad?

Isn’t any bullying wrong regardless of the choice of stick?
    Bullying that reduces one groups participation in a sport from something like 30% at recreational level to 3% at professional level clearly has a wider impact than random bullying of an individual.

Both are equally wrong, but their impact and importance at the societal level is different.
    What you say is right

But you are misunderstanding my point. If they hadn’t been bullying him about his race it could have been his height or the shape of his ears or anything else. Bullies pick on perceived weaknesses.

It’s the action, not the intention, that matters
    But only in a racist society is having brown skin perceived as a weakness.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

HS2 (as planned in full )

Length ≈ 300 miles

Cost: £80 - 100billion

So roughly 4x the cost, for 4x the distance. Never mind the millions more people with access relative to CrossRail.

One gets built. The other doesn't.

Guess what the difference is?

Yep. One is in London, where all MPs live most of the time along with all the civil servants and planners.

To be fair, even Crossrail took a very long time to be approved.

For some reason, the U.K. doesn’t like to spend money on infrastructure very much.
    But in the end it did get approved and built.

Why?

Because it is in London.

This country needs a massive dose of devolution to break the london-based political blackhole.

Essentially, yes.

Read this for more details on why the Treasury model systematically favours London.

https://www.tomforth.co.uk/beyondbcr/
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

An extraordinarily ungallant comment from Boris Johnson about his wife, Carrie. How on Earth did he judge this appropriate?
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/james-ball-boris-johnson-tory-sleaze/ https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1461398582263783430/photo/1

Golly.

"It would be easy after the events of the past two weeks to dismiss the prime minister as a mere sleazy politician. But it would also be unfair. He’s also a venal, self-serving man – and frequently a cruel one, as the remark about Symonds, whom he married only in late May, shows."

Remarkable, even by his standards.
    He really is an awful person. I struggle to find anything redeeming about him. I wish the country had listened to Max Hastings' warnings.
    Can't resist the cheap laugh, even at the expense of his wife.
    We have a PM who is a grade A shit.
    That’s the most perceptive comment on the topic. I suspect it says nothing about their relationship.

But confirms that Johnson is a dick
    What do you expect? His very name makes it clear; he is A Johnson.
    Spelling out the joke in words of one syllable makes it less interesting
  • Options
    MEN:

• Options

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

So roughly 4x the cost, for 4x the distance. Never mind the millions more people with access relative to CrossRail.

Yep. One is in London, where all MPs live most of the time along with all the civil servants and planners.

For some reason, the U.K. doesn’t like to spend money on infrastructure very much.

Why?

Because it is in London.

This country needs a massive dose of devolution to break the london-based political blackhole.

Essentially, yes.

Read this for more details on why the Treasury model systematically favours London.

https://www.tomforth.co.uk/beyondbcr/
    Thanks. Will have a read.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,364
    edited November 2021
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

moonshine said:

Why is st rishi not sharing the blame for the end of levelling up?

It is weird that the PM allowed him to avoid mentioning this in the budget and sharing the blame. Perhaps the PM's lack of interest in planning or detail is not actually an asset in running anything?
    It’s strange that today Boris was trying to do PR up North and Shaps was revealing the news in the Commons but Rishi was successfully out of sight

He really is way better at politics than Boris ever was
    Another question - how on Earth has Grant Shapps ever made it in politics?

He's a liar, a fool and a failure. He's incoherent, lazy and has never done anything useful in his life. He's Johnson with slightly better articulation.

And he's not only in the House of Commons, but in the Cabinet.

He'd be out of his depth in whatever Handforth Parish Council is calling itself this week.
    iirc Shapps was part of Boris's leadership team which probably explains his current job. Stepping back slightly, Shapps is au fait with modern IT, which a lot of MPs aren't; he knows how to do fancy stuff with spreadsheets, for instance, and can bang up a website (though these days that's a five-minute job) if Michael Green is to be believed, and he's got a lot of front (likewise). He also looks about 12 which might lead to opponents underestimating him.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Anyway, who needs trains when there are lovely new offences to be introduced.

This is government for the very elderly.

If you want to imagine the future, picture an orthopaedic shoe stamping on a human face - for ever.

Totally agree. For many people (myself included) dogs are an integral part of our family and too many have been stolen, causing immense heartache. Criminals were undeterred because the penalties were a joke. Not now.
    We already had such an offence. It’s called “Theft” and carries a maximum sentence of 7 years.

Most of the time we don’t need populist new laws, we just need to enforce the existing ones.
    Absolutely. Are the police going to investigate is the real question. Most of all people want their pooch back.
    Didn't "101 Dalmatians" alert HMG re: the spread of organized dog-napping? (NOT in the Leonian sense.)

Personally feel the Macmillan administration has a LOT to answer for!

Would NOT be surprised IF the current PM takes up the cause and moves to further criminalize this crime, thus renewing his mandate from the dog-loving Great British Public.

Sidebar - years ago worked for a candidate for local office running against a sitting state legislator. Who had just been the ONLY member of the WA legislature to vote against a bill making assault of a nurse a crime. On the grounds that it was ALREADY a crime.

Our guy highlighted this vote - and won the election by a VERY narrow margin.

Showing clearly that, in politics, logic is NOT always logical.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Humble proposal - for a PB election!

Conducted - AV of course - for ten important offices:

1. PBer most likely to serve as Minister of Funny Walks in future Conservative ministry.

2. Funniest PBer.

3. Meanest PBer (a real dogfight!)

4. Best new PBer (began posting in past year)

5. Best returned PBer (hint hint)

6. Best PBer of All Time

7. Best "Leon" persona

8, 9 & 10. ____________ (suggestions welcomed!)

1. HYUFD - happy to serve in any capacity, and would passionately commit to any ministry
    2. Theuniondivvie/ydoethur
    3. Is this to be a badge of pride or shame? As that will affect the answer. I think malcg would be disappointed not to win out.
    4. Calendar 12 months? That may exclude a few honourable mentions.
    5. SeaShanyIrish (I can take a hint)
    6. OGH of course (I'm a suck up)
    7. Leon, for persistance.
    Cheers!
    Can I suggest a candidate for the office of PBer of discernment and taste 🙂
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    The route of the eventual HS2 that results from this isn't terrible, but the government just decided to stop the lines as soon as they hit a tricky bit on the way, leaving massively more costs to plumb in Yorkshire specifically for future governments. But if this is what gets spades in the ground, the ultimate Leeds route now looks likely to be via Manchester and Sheffield likely the ultimate Eastern leg terminus. It looks to me like a J on Y eventual map.

I see HS2 ltd gets the gig of developing plans for the start of the J from Warrington to Saddleworth, so hopefully it will be HS stock compatible (and fully separate) for that distance.

I'm more sanguine than most. Though I won't get much benefit in my working life the mere possibility of an ultimate HS2 routing through Huddersfield is a pleasing prospect, the plan clearly does have benefit for Nottingham and Derby (ooo, look, marginals), and the serious confirmation of intent for the Hope Valley line is good and must go ahead.

But overall it's a half-arsed way of going about things, an annoying enough approach for the A1 in Northumberland, a bad joke for a country trying to develop a high speed, high capacity railway.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

ydoethur said:

eek said:

moonshine said:

It is weird that the PM allowed him to avoid mentioning this in the budget and sharing the blame. Perhaps the PM's lack of interest in planning or detail is not actually an asset in running anything?
    It’s strange that today Boris was trying to do PR up North and Shaps was revealing the news in the Commons but Rishi was successfully out of sight

He's a liar, a fool and a failure. He's incoherent, lazy and has never done anything useful in his life. He's Johnson with slightly better articulation.

He'd be out of his depth in whatever Handforth Parish Council is calling itself this week.
    iirc Shapps was part of Boris's leadership team which probably explains his current job. Stepping back slightly, Shapps is au fait with modern IT, which a lot of MPs aren't; he knows how to do fancy stuff with spreadsheets, for instance, and can bang up a website (though these days that's a five-minute job) if Michael Green is to be believed, and he's got a lot of front (likewise). He also looks about 12 which might lead to opponents underestimating him.
    He's so good with IT that he posted a load of stuff pretending to be a LibDem under his own name, than claimed his account had been hacked because his password was 1234.

I think he has a little way to go getting to grips with modern IT...
  • Options

If you want to imagine the future, picture an orthopaedic shoe stamping on a human face - for ever.

They announce this is on the same day they slip out that poorer social care users will pay more?

They love a good pensioner.

But only if they are the right sort.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,528

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

For me that Rafiq has said antisemitic things has no bearing on what he's revealed about racism in cricket. What it does do is provide material for the next muslim-baiting Rod Liddle column. He'll be tapping away now, I imagine.

IMV it does have bearing. It shows that the problems with racism might be (ahem) more multi-faceted than he was willing to share. Racism may not just be a problem towards people from the India/Pakistan region, or Muslims, but towards other groups as well.

That's important.

It also shows he's somewhat hypocritical, and perhaps not the most reliable witness to events.
    It's fairly simple it seems - the bullied can sometimes also bully others. Those subject to racism are not immune from, whether isolated or frequent, doing racist things. He's not seeking to minimise it at least.
    Someone being the target of systematic abuse doesn't need to be an angel himself for us to be concerned about the abuse, especially as it's unlikely that he was the only victim. Some of the comments on the internet are clearly delighted and drawing the conclusion that his treatment therefore doesn't matter. They're wrong.
    Yes and no. Wrong is always wrong, but those who want to rely upon the values of a liberal society to make a specific case are morally unconvincing if they don't abide by those values themselves. The rest of us may think he is right, but can legitimately wonder whether the complainant really thinks what liberals think.
    Age19 is old enough to vote. So it's old enough to know how anti-semitism works.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Bit of a twist in the tale..

Say it isn't so
    No, he has confirmed it is, and is ashamed of his behaviour. What more do you want him to do?
    A good apology too.

There's a difference between bad remarks made by people years ago that they apologise for when brought up - and doing racist stuff today and covering it up when people complain.
    Sure, but isn't this whole story about what people did years ago?
    No, the Rafiq stuff is about now.

You've got people in charge at Yorkshire right now who think using Zimbo for Zimbabwe is racist and worth of disciplinary action but calling someone a Paki isn't.
    The problem with this 'find the racist game' is that it's open to any number of players and can veer in unexpected directions as Rafiq is now finding out. His testimony has effectively wrecked the career of an ex England captain and exposed himself as not only a racist but a hypocrite so will probably wreck his own future career as well.

These witch hunts are extremely ugly and should be stopped before they get out of hand. An unpopular cricketer was bullied under the noses of his employers and for this they have questions to answer. But leave the racism out of it.

How does one separate the racism from the bullying when the nature of the bullying was racist?
    Does the fact that it was racist in nature make the bullying uniquely bad?

Isn’t any bullying wrong regardless of the choice of stick?
    Bullying that reduces one groups participation in a sport from something like 30% at recreational level to 3% at professional level clearly has a wider impact than random bullying of an individual.

Both are equally wrong, but their impact and importance at the societal level is different.
    What you say is right

But you are misunderstanding my point. If they hadn’t been bullying him about his race it could have been his height or the shape of his ears or anything else. Bullies pick on perceived weaknesses.

It’s the action, not the intention, that matters
    But only in a racist society is having brown skin perceived as a weakness.
    “Differences” or “vulnerability” would have been a better term than “weaknesses”

Bullies will find a point of leverage to attack their victim
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MattW said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

For me that Rafiq has said antisemitic things has no bearing on what he's revealed about racism in cricket. What it does do is provide material for the next muslim-baiting Rod Liddle column. He'll be tapping away now, I imagine.

IMV it does have bearing. It shows that the problems with racism might be (ahem) more multi-faceted than he was willing to share. Racism may not just be a problem towards people from the India/Pakistan region, or Muslims, but towards other groups as well.

That's important.

It also shows he's somewhat hypocritical, and perhaps not the most reliable witness to events.
    It's fairly simple it seems - the bullied can sometimes also bully others. Those subject to racism are not immune from, whether isolated or frequent, doing racist things. He's not seeking to minimise it at least.
    Someone being the target of systematic abuse doesn't need to be an angel himself for us to be concerned about the abuse, especially as it's unlikely that he was the only victim. Some of the comments on the internet are clearly delighted and drawing the conclusion that his treatment therefore doesn't matter. They're wrong.
    But it allows them to justify their own racist attitudes so it makes them happy.
    I think there's too much of a desire to divide individuals up into good and evil here.

I think that Rafiq is guilty of not questioning his own assumptions, and the assumptions of those around him, about Jewish people.

Ditto the racist 'banter' in YCCC

I don't think it is helpful to say XY is a RACIST, and must therefore be shunned for life, or drummed out of politics or cricket forever, or whatever. That's a cheap and easy option for those making the accusation, and perhaps for the accused.

Is it more creaetive to consider it as a spectrum like (say) alcoholism, and that everyone is recovering from various forms of prejudice, about which we will only agree sometimes?
    I agree with most of your post but has anyone on this site actually suggested people must be shunned for life for racism? Has Rafiq? Have YCCC? or the ECB?

Perhaps the odd poster has but Rafiq and the vast majority who are glad things are out in the open are content with changing the future.
    The earnings potential of Michael Vaughan etc is crumbled to zero post-this. So, yes, he has effectively been shunned for life. Or at least he will have lifelong effects.
    Bumble apologised and I would be happy to bet will be much employable than Vaughan. If Vaughan had apologised or even gone down the I don't remember but sorry if I offended route, he would be employable too. He chose to give an uncategorical denial despite it being corroborated by multiple parties. He is my favourite Test captain and I hope it is not the end of his media career but he does have a big credibility problem of his own making.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,516
    edited November 2021
    I see we have our first Insulate Britain prison sentences.

Good news for hospital patients.

Between 3 and 6 months for breaking an injunction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59307679
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

Totally agree. For many people (myself included) dogs are an integral part of our family and too many have been stolen, causing immense heartache. Criminals were undeterred because the penalties were a joke. Not now.
    We already had such an offence. It’s called “Theft” and carries a maximum sentence of 7 years.

Most of the time we don’t need populist new laws, we just need to enforce the existing ones.
    Except that the Police treated the theft of a dog like stealing a mobile. Basically irrelevant and not worth the effort. Introducing the new offence changes the priority for the Police.

But I take it on your logic that you are against the whole concept of "hate crimes" given they are already covered by existing offences?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

RobD said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

Not entirely fair, a large fraction of it is being built.
    Building a fraction of a high speed line is just a joke.

As soon as the high speed trains reach the non-high speed, existing rail lines, then capacity will become an issue.

As others have pointed out on here earlier, as soon as the slow stopping chufchuf train from say Derby to Nottingham breaks down then the HS service is no longer high speed.

It’s getting electrified, so all the trains in the area will be nice new electric trains.
  • Options

Humble proposal - for a PB election!

Conducted - AV of course - for ten important offices:

1. PBer most likely to serve as Minister of Funny Walks in future Conservative ministry.

2. Funniest PBer.

3. Meanest PBer (a real dogfight!)

4. Best new PBer (began posting in past year)

5. Best returned PBer (hint hint)

6. Best PBer of All Time

7. Best "Leon" persona

8, 9 & 10. ____________ (suggestions welcomed!)

1. TSE just walking normally but in his new shoes
    Maybe in a coalition Conservative Party - Yorkshire Party government?

BTW, have a suggestion for a snappy nickname for YP supporters: "Pudding Pops"
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

As soon as the high speed trains reach the non-high speed, existing rail lines, then capacity will become an issue.

As others have pointed out on here earlier, as soon as the slow stopping chufchuf train from say Derby to Nottingham breaks down then the HS service is no longer high speed.

It’s getting electrified, so all the trains in the area will be nice new electric trains.
    Not ones that go on the lines to either side, they won't.

But then, if these deranged plans do go ahead there won't be many of those left so it won't matter very much.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

Why?

Because it is in London.

Alternative solution, we rename the country as London. Those of us in London Wessex or London Scotland would get our fair due then.
    Don't Ryanair have the patent on that idea?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

But then, if these deranged plans do go ahead there won't be many of those left so it won't matter very much.
    Bimodes, then.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,528

They announce this is on the same day they slip out that poorer social care users will pay more?

So why should dog stealing have lower maximum sentences (5 years) than stealing nonsentient unhairy objects (7 years)?

And what about theft of wild Bactrian camels? Snow leopards? Mongooses?

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

moonshine said:

He's so good with IT that he posted a load of stuff pretending to be a LibDem under his own name, than claimed his account had been hacked because his password was 1234.

I think he has a little way to go getting to grips with modern IT...
    He only needs to be better than the next MP, and the next MP is Boris.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Except that the Police treated the theft of a dog like stealing a mobile. Basically irrelevant and not worth the effort. Introducing the new offence changes the priority for the Police.

But I take it on your logic that you are against the whole concept of "hate crimes" given they are already covered by existing offences?
    The priority of the Police (and their resources) can be changed without introducing pointless new offences which just repeat what we already have.

Less, higher quality laws are better than more laws.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

Why?

Because it is in London.

Alternative solution, we rename the country as London. Those of us in London Wessex or London Scotland would get our fair due then.
    Don't Ryanair have the patent on that idea?
    Once bought Ryan Air ticket "London" to "Bologna" which turned out to be for flight from Stansted to Forli.
  • Options
    In before fewer
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,131
    Bit depressing on here tonight

So I will raise the spirits. I am in Herefordshire doing research, and it’s the first time in 3 decades I’ve properly explored the county and town where I grew up

OMG Herefordshire is exquisite. I had forgotten. Perhaps the loveliest county in England? Certainly the most unspoiled.

However, everyone knows Herefordshire is gorgeous, they just have to be reminded. What is surprising is the city, Hereford. The scruffy, boozy, likeable Marches town - with edgy bits - that I remember, has been transformed into a chic, posh, prosperous cathedral city with specialist cheese shops and lots of cyclists. Like Winchester or Salisbury or an affluent, historic town in Holland or Bavaria

It is also spookily quiet. Gone are the gangs of drinkers. Now people eat politely in Korean barbecues.

Amazing. And definitely a change for the better even if I miss the boisterousness
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    MattW said:

There goes their plan of being in prison during the COP meeting.
  • Options
    If they do actually electrify the whole of the MML, then it wouldn’t take much to infill the bits around it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,288
    edited November 2021

Why the elderly, both my children's families have a dog, and driving down the promenade many more young dog owners are enjoying their pets

A very ageist and ill informed comment
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

Bimodes, then.
    Bimodes are not really a good deal. You end up with something that carries an awful lot of extra weight and so ends up with all the drawbacks of a diesel and none of the benefits of an EMU.
  • Options
    Leon said:

So I will raise the spirits. I am in Herefordshire doing research, and it’s the first time in 3 decades I’ve properly explored the county and town where I grew up

OMG Herefordshire is exquisite. I had forgotten. Perhaps the loveliest county in England? Certainly the most unspoiled.

However, everyone knows Herefordshire is gorgeous, they just have to be reminded. What is surprising is the city, Hereford. The scruffy, boozy, likeable Marches town - with edgy bits - that I remember, has been transformed into a chic, posh, prosperous cathedral city with specialist cheese shops and lots of cyclists. Like Winchester or Salisbury or an affluent, historic town in Holland or Bavaria

It is also spookily quiet. Gone are the gangs of drinkers. Now people eat politely in Korean barbecues.

Amazing. And definitely a change for the better even if I miss the boisterousness

Thanks yet again for another report on your travels!

But why so glum? Heck, just suggested an election that you personally (so to speak) can NOT lose!
  • Options

MrEd said:

MattW said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

But it allows them to justify their own racist attitudes so it makes them happy.
    I think there's too much of a desire to divide individuals up into good and evil here.

I think that Rafiq is guilty of not questioning his own assumptions, and the assumptions of those around him, about Jewish people.

I don't think it is helpful to say XY is a RACIST, and must therefore be shunned for life, or drummed out of politics or cricket forever, or whatever. That's a cheap and easy option for those making the accusation, and perhaps for the accused.

Is it more creaetive to consider it as a spectrum like (say) alcoholism, and that everyone is recovering from various forms of prejudice, about which we will only agree sometimes?
    I agree with most of your post but has anyone on this site actually suggested people must be shunned for life for racism? Has Rafiq? Have YCCC? or the ECB?

Perhaps the odd poster has but Rafiq and the vast majority who are glad things are out in the open are content with changing the future.
    The earnings potential of Michael Vaughan etc is crumbled to zero post-this. So, yes, he has effectively been shunned for life. Or at least he will have lifelong effects.
    Bumble apologised and I would be happy to bet will be much employable than Vaughan. If Vaughan had apologised or even gone down the I don't remember but sorry if I offended route, he would be employable too. He chose to give an uncategorical denial despite it being corroborated by multiple parties. He is my favourite Test captain and I hope it is not the end of his media career but he does have a big credibility problem of his own making.

MrEd said:

MattW said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

Oh ok, so I guess the destroying of careers is not happening then:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/cricket/16774107/rafiq-bbc-england-vaughan-racism-yorkshire/

And it also looks like Rafiq's claims are not backed by everyone:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/uk-sports/2021/11/15/michael-vaughan-says-alleged-racist-comment-simply-never-happened/

"Ajmal Shahzad, who became Yorkshire’s first British Asian cricketer in 2004, said he had not heard the comment in question during an interview with PA last year, adding “the senior guys were really good to me, they took me under their wing”.

So, we have two have said they have heard it, the defendant denies it and another witness is on record as saying it didn't happen.

Not exactly an open and shut case is it?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If they do actually electrify the whole of the MML, then it wouldn’t take much to infill the bits around it.

They said that about the Chase Line and it wasn't true.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    algarkirk said:

So why should dog stealing have lower maximum sentences (5 years) than stealing nonsentient unhairy objects (7 years)?

You’d hope stealing the Crown Jewels would get you more than five months, two with good behaviour.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    One of my 2nd cousins is a budding cricketer. His twitter account is 100% run by a social media firm.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

The priority of the Police (and their resources) can be changed without introducing pointless new offences which just repeat what we already have.

And the question about hate crimes? Do you agree that, on your logic, we shouldn't have the category of hate crimes?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

You mean in the 1960s? It is now electrified.
  • Options
    Leon said:

"OMG Herefordshire is exquisite."

For God's sake keep it quiet!!!! Otherwise London types will notice and flood the place seeking second or third homes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

algarkirk said:

You’d hope stealing the Crown Jewels would get you more than five months, two with good behaviour.
    Captain Blood got pardoned for that. Must have had a good lawyer . . . or a VERY well-connected fence!
  • Options

Leon said:

But why so glum? Heck, just suggested an election that you personally (so to speak) can NOT lose!
    I’m not glum!

I’ve had a wondrous day tramping the wilds of Herefordshire. Craswall Church under a full moon! It was like a Samuel Palmer painting

Now I drink Amarone in the 17th century wood paneled rooms of the Green Dragon Hotel, opposite the delicately illuminated medieval Cathedral. Life is sweet
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

Bimodes, then.
    Bimodes are not really a good deal. You end up with something that carries an awful lot of extra weight and so ends up with all the drawbacks of a diesel and none of the benefits of an EMU.
    Will be bimodes for Transpennine. It is Too Difficult to wire the section through Mossley and through the Standedge tunnel. So bimodes at best until 2042 earliest...
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

And the question about hate crimes? Do you agree that, on your logic, we shouldn't have the category of hate crimes?
    I am not against sentencing guidelines imposing harsher sentences if offences are racially etc motivated but neither am I particularly for it either, if that’s what you mean.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MattW said:

And being at home at Christmas
  • Options

To illustrate my point. Hereford Cathedral, tonight

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,562
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

I’ve had a wondrous day tramping the wilds of Herefordshire. Craswall Church under a full moon! It was like a Samuel Palmer painting

Now I drink Amarone in the 17th century wood paneled rooms of the Green Dragon Hotel, opposite the delicately illuminated medieval Cathedral. Life is sweet
    BTW is it "Her-e-ford" or "Her'ferd"? The latter being what we call the cattle in US.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I am not against sentencing guidelines imposing harsher sentences if offences are racially etc motivated but neither am I particularly for it either, if that’s what you mean.
    But, as you argued with the laws against dog-napping, fewer higher quality laws are what we need so why do we differentiate because different types of the same crime, especially as it means Police are pressurised to investigate one type of the same crime over another.
  • Options

RobD said:

MattW said:

And all for a few metres of Kingspan thermal.

• Options
    tomfantomfan Posts: 21
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

Had a pint of Black Sheep in the Wig and Mitre Pub in Lincoln at the weekend, the pub being a stone's throw from glorious Lincoln Cathedral and the Castle too. Wonderful.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I think race and other motivations may reasonably be considered as exacerbating factors when considering sentencing, not least because of the higher risk of repetition. I too don't like the idea of hate crimes specifically.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

Bimodes, then.
    Oh bimodes are silly, but they would at least be on the electric on the bits with the high speed trains, so less of a risk at those points (MTINs are lower for electrics, I think), and that was what I was responding to.
  • Options

RobD said:

MattW said:

And all for a few metres of Kingspan thermal.

And if they repeat their actions !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sell many dildos around there?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

I'm aware of that, I live in Cannock fifty yards from the fecking tracks and travel on it frequently.

I also remember that the 'wouldn't take much to electrify it' we were promised turned out to take two years longer than expected and ended up 75% over budget. Which were two rather unpleasant years for those of us who used the railway.

And at the end of it, because of the appalling congestion of the WCML from Rugby to Euston the London service we were promised lasted only 18 months.

Which may be a thread header on the reasons why these so called plans are a pack of lies put together by total retards who don't have a clue about just about anything, including railways or basic things like mathematics.

Anyway, I have a busy day tomorrow. Good night.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

But, as you argued with the laws against dog-napping, fewer higher quality laws are what we need so why do we differentiate because different types of the same crime, especially as it means Police are pressurised to investigate one type of the same crime over another.
    Do you have a particular offence in mind?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

BTW is it "Her-e-ford" or "Her'ferd"? The latter being what we call the cattle in US.
    Her - eeee - ford
  • Options
    Johnson calls new rail plans "monumental" says BBC News.

Well, it's a monumental something...

• Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

I'm aware of that, I live in Cannock fifty yards from the fecking tracks and travel on it frequently.

I also remember that the 'wouldn't take much to electrify it' we were promised turned out to take two years longer than expected and ended up 75% over budget. Which were two rather unpleasant years for those of us who used the railway.

And at the end of it, because of the appalling congestion of the WCML from Rugby to Euston the London service we were promised lasted only 18 months.

Which may be a thread header on the reasons why these so called plans are a pack of lies put together by total retards who don't have a clue about just about anything, including railways or basic things like mathematics.

Anyway, I have a busy day tomorrow. Good night.
    Well you should get a direct service once the London Brum line is completed. :)
  • Options
    tomfantomfan Posts: 21
    Leon said:

Nice. Lincoln Cathedral was beautifully and evocatively lit up in red and black on Sunday. A magnificent tribute to the fallen.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nice to see the minarets are illuminated too.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178

Leon said:

For God's sake keep it quiet!!!! Otherwise London types will notice and flood the place seeking second or third homes.
    Too late. That dastardly Sean Thomas Knox has made it there too...
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

Bimodes, then.
    So like a hybrid car, then :smile:
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

Her - eeee - ford
    In US there are several towns named Hereford. Including county seat of Deaf Smith County, Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereford,_Texas

Apparently locals call it "Hur'furd" and call the place
    > Beef Capital of the World;
    > The Town Without a Toothache (because of naturally-occurring fluoride in the water)
    > Most Conservative Town in America (which somehow does NOT compute with above!)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

Her - eeee - ford
    Pony- Club-Land.
  • Options

Leon said:

Sell many dildos around there?
    "Get thee to a nunnery!"
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    tomfan said:

Leon said:

Nice. Lincoln Cathedral was beautifully and evocatively lit up in red and black on Sunday. A magnificent tribute to the fallen.
    Tbf hereford isn’t a top tier Cathedral. Nothing like Lincoln (on that hill!). But Hereford is top of the 2nd division, it is properly medieval, and it has two world class possessions - the chained library and Mappa Mundi

What Hereford does have - and the city council have clearly if belatedly realised this - is an almost untouched, unbombed historic city centre, with umpteen Tudor, Georgian and Victorian jewels. They’ve finally made the best of this and turned the whole central district into a very pleasant pedestrian zone. It’s lovely. If a bit quiet

But how nice to report on a city so obviously improved. This is a really alluring place to live now (I imagine). A high quality of life
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

Her - eeee - ford
    In US there are several towns named Hereford. Including county seat of Deaf Smith County, Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereford,_Texas

Apparently locals call it "Hur'furd" and call the place
    > Beef Capital of the World;
    > The Town Without a Toothache (because of naturally-occurring fluoride in the water)
    > Most Conservative Town in America (which somehow does NOT compute with above!)
    Presumably fluoride from God is fine, it is only a problem when put there by Jewish Space Lasers etc.
  • Options

Farooq said:

I don't know who David Herdson is, but I fully support his right to totally waste his vote.

Farooq said:

I don't know who David Herdson is, but I fully support his right to totally waste his vote.

For eleven years David was the Saturday morning columnist on PB
    He also called out the May 2017 GE debacle before the polls opened after canvassing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

Tbf hereford isn’t a top tier Cathedral. Nothing like Lincoln (on that hill!). But Hereford is top of the 2nd division, it is properly medieval, and it has two world class possessions - the chained library and Mappa Mundi

What Hereford does have - and the city council have clearly if belatedly realised this - is an almost untouched, unbombed historic city centre, with umpteen Tudor, Georgian and Victorian jewels. They’ve finally made the best of this and turned the whole central district into a very pleasant pedestrian zone. It’s lovely. If a bit quiet

But how nice to report on a city so obviously improved. This is a really alluring place to live now (I imagine). A high quality of life
    You have persuaded me to go there.

You still up for those Soho drinks at some point?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

Yep!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

What I find interesting is -

That many people whose eyes usually glaze over with boredom or who seek to empathize with or find excuses for white men accused of racism/misogyny suddenly, when the racism/misogyny is coming from a Muslim source, leap into action and become absolute IRON.

You sir have a blind spot. It is grotesquely unbecoming.
    You have no clue what I'm saying clearly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

Yep!
    Since your so close, shouldn't you first explore . . . wait for it . . . Flintshire?
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Do you have a particular offence in mind?
    This:

https://www.cps.gov.uk/crime-info/hate-crime

And particularly this:

"These crimes are covered by legislation (Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and section 66 of the Sentencing Act 2020) which allows prosecutors to apply for an uplift in sentence for those convicted of a hate crime."

We have the case where the law treats one type of the same offence as more serious than another.

But I am assuming you agree that legislation should be repealed?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

Yes and no. Wrong is always wrong, but those who want to rely upon the values of a liberal society to make a specific case are morally unconvincing if they don't abide by those values themselves. The rest of us may think he is right, but can legitimately wonder whether the complainant really thinks what liberals think.
    Age19 is old enough to vote. So it's old enough to know how anti-semitism works.

Sure, but I'm not really interested in whether he's a fine liberal or not. He's made allegations about systematic abuse which seem credible. It's the allegations that matter, not the character of the person making them.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

The time to go to Hereford is for the Three Choirs Festival next summer.

https://3choirs.org/
  • Options
    MattW said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

Not sure I can do that. It will give me a headache...
  • Options
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

Yep!
    Excellent! Will check the diary
  • Options

kinabalu said:

That many people whose eyes usually glaze over with boredom or who seek to empathize with or find excuses for white men accused of racism/misogyny suddenly, when the racism/misogyny is coming from a Muslim source, leap into action and become absolute IRON.

however it is you who has been inconsistent , nobody else on here i see . Maybe you are the gulity of what you just posted just in the opposite way - you seem to making a lot of excuses for him . Its not a good look frankly
    Nope. I said those tweets show antisemitic sentiment. And I said it doesn't detract from the issue of racism in cricket that he's raised. And I pointed out that some people only seem interested in racism or misogyny when it comes from Muslims. Three impeccable statements.

Your inability to process simple language and logic is not a good look frankly. Shape up.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

I lived and worked in Hereford for 4 years from 2011 to 2015, at one point just a street down from the cathedral, a beautiful county indeed and the city at night in winter is very atmospheric.

The view from the river to the Cathedral in particular which inspired Elgar is spectacular. Though of course being a Medieval city it had some brutal history too, including being the place where Hugh Despenser and Owen Tudor were executed

• Options
    edited November 2021
    MattW said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

Plus the Hay Festival close by as well and plenty of cider festivals in the area
  • Options
    MattW said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

A very charming festival. I saw Gerontius in the Cathedral one year. Long ago, long ago
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

Leon said:

Too late. That dastardly Sean Thomas Knox has made it there too...
    You would have thought that Leon would have sorted out a restraining order by now - he can't go anywhere without Sean arriving within a few minutes.
  • Options

George Eaton
    @georgeeaton
    ·
    7h
    Just *0.7%* of the UK's rail network is high-speed – today's
    @NewStatesman
    Chart of the Day on how Britain trails behind Europe for high-speed rail. https://newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2021/11/how-the-uk-trails-behind-europe-for-high-speed-rail
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,924

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Quite the opposite. I think we are all a little bit racist, and this may show when we are young and foolish, AND IT SHOULD BE FORGIVEN

What I despise - and what makes me angry - is double standards and hypocrisy. Like this guy Rafiq

When he was accusing every one else of inhuman racism, did he forget that he is also a racist, or did he just hope that no one would notice that he is a racist?
    The first I heard about the story was a couple of weeks ago and quite clearly remember Rafiq saying he had said many things he regrets and should not have said when he was younger.
    Did he say that?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Is there an interview proces to join the Yorkshire Party and what level of childhood luxury is disqualifying?

So long as you had to lick the road clean with your tongue and got up before you went to be, you should be fine.
  • Options
    Given recent discussions re: constituency service (both honorable & otherwise) by elected legislators, might be apropos to note that today is the anniversary of 1978 slaying of US congressman Leo Ryan (D-CA) in Guyana by members of the Jim Jones - Peoples Temple cult, which sparked off a bloodbath of murder and suicide.

Ryan had flown to Guyana at the behest of constituents whose loved ones were in the cult and under the thumb of Jones & his minions. Thus he knew it was risky business (though not just how risky it proved to be).

Nevertheless he went - above & beyond the call of duty - because he thought he might be able to help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Ryan
  • Options
    TimT said:

Is there an interview proces to join the Yorkshire Party and what level of childhood luxury is disqualifying?

So long as you had to lick the road clean with your tongue and got up before you went to be, you should be fine.
    Some parts of Yorkshire, particularly around Harrogate and rural parts of North Yorkshire, are actually quite posh
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

I thought the cattle were Hurr - fudd. At least that is what the farmers sound like around these parts.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

Are the Cherry Rooms and Saxty's wine bar still there?

And where does one shop now Chadds has gone?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,700
    HYUFD said:

TimT said:

Some parts of Yorkshire, particularly around Harrogate and rural parts of North Yorkshire, are actually quite posh
    That's the ones where the local Tory party committee members employ lots of servants to lick the roads clean. As you should know.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimT said:

May great aunt used to live in Ripon, and would take me to tea rooms in Harrogate. You could almost imagine running into Agatha Christie.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

I thought the cattle were Hurr - fudd. At least that is what the farmers sound like around these parts.
    And from Richard II Henry Harefoot.
  • Options
    TimT said:

HYUFD said:

TimT said:

May great aunt used to live in Ripon, and would take me to tea rooms in Harrogate. You could almost imagine running into Agatha Christie.
    Indeed, plus All Creatures Great and Small country too in the Dales
  • Options

Leon said:

tomfan said:

Leon said:

Are the Cherry Rooms and Saxty's wine bar still there?

And where does one shop now Chads has gone?
    Saxty’s still there. Just walked past it. Not sure about Cherrys

Chadd’s has gone. My family were friends with the Chadds. Weirdly. Used to play together as kids
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks.

It is embarrassing how obviously you are drawing a distinction between *technical* racism, like against jews, and actual racism, against darkies.
    What's embarrassing is how some people appear to see things in what I've written that simply aren't there.

I said -

1. That Rafiq's tweets show antisemitism. Racism against jews.

2. That this isn't a good reason to take less seriously what he's testified to about racist bullying in cricket.

Where in this is any justification for what you've written here? Where am I treating racism against jews as a technical 2nd order offence cf racism against others?

I'm not. I don't feel that way and I can't see where you or anyone else is getting it.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,562
    edited November 2021
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

Close enough. Further north they keep the 2nd r.

EDIT - and some parts further south, they lose 'em both.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

For eleven years David was the Saturday morning columnist on PB
    He also called out the May 2017 GE debacle before the polls opened after canvassing.
    Easy to find on twitter still, if you search Herdson
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Johnson calls new rail plans "monumental" says BBC News.

Well, it's a monumental something...

I'm sure he expects them to be a Titanic success.
  • Options

TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not glum!

Close enough. Further north they keep the 2nd r.

EDIT - and some parts further south, they lose 'em both.
    Yep. And with some of the farmers, it is just impossible to understand what they are saying, I leave it to my wife to interpret.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    Foxy says: "Presumably fluoride from God is fine, it is only a problem when put there by Jewish Space Lasers etc."

Actually, the largest city in the U S without fluoridated water is Portland, Oregon: https://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-oregon-water-fluoridation-history-explained/

"Even though strong proof exists that water fluoridation is safe and improves oral health, Oregon has the third lowest amount of fluoridation in community water systems nationwide ranking 48th among U.S. States." https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/PREVENTIONWELLNESS/ORALHEALTH/Pages/fluoride.aspx

Oregon is not especially religious, and that is triply true of Portland.
This discussion has been closed.