Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

EX-PBER DAVID HERDSON JOINS THE YORKSHIRE PARTY – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    I think Johnson is absolutely fecked now. Just waiting for the inevitable downfall
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

Mail headline on web tonight is pretty brutal:

"On track for disaster? PM faces all-out Tory mutiny over rail 'betrayal' with fury he is dooming the North to 100 YEARS of misery by axing flagship 'Levelling Up' plans - and demands for MPs to get a free vote"

It doesn't matter if it's a free vote or a whipped vote - the vote they decide to make will be noted and used against them at the next election.
    Yup if they vote in favour then it's curtains in 2024 anyway. At least if they vote this down and Boris gets axed they've got a shot.
    Is there evidence there is huge demand in the RedWall for an HS2 to Leeds?

Certainly campaigners who faced their properties being demolished because they were in its path, including as far north as Bramley, Rotherham, are elated it has been scrapped
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59334043
    Anyone who knows anyone that lives east of the Pennines knows what an utter nightmare the current rail transport infrastructure is. I've friends going on about it for years.

This is another disastrous error by Johnson.
    It may be an error in big Yorkshire cities like Leeds, Sheffield and Bradford for whom faster links to London are a benefit but every seat in those cities is Labour held anyway.

In Yorkshire villages and small towns which are more likely to be part of seats which are Tory or went Tory in 2019 and where properties faced demolition and noise pollution from HS2 I am sceptical this decision will be greeted poorly
    They still face that prospect, the land is not being released so the risk is still there.

When the people discover that I suspect they won't like being misinformed / lied to.
    My local news tonight was awash with vox pop interviews with delighted house owners who no longer would be threatened with the line coming through their property.

Seems to me the journos had not checked details. The properties are still under orders iirc.
    Yep - it's going to be a nasty surprise especially as they rush to sell.
    There is so much counter-factual detail behind the headlines. They won't be able to hide it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,581

DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Bit of a twist in the tale..

Say it isn't so
    No, he has confirmed it is, and is ashamed of his behaviour. What more do you want him to do?
    A good apology too.

There's a difference between bad remarks made by people years ago that they apologise for when brought up - and doing racist stuff today and covering it up when people complain.
    Sure, but isn't this whole story about what people did years ago?
    No, the Rafiq stuff is about now.

You've got people in charge at Yorkshire right now who think using Zimbo for Zimbabwe is racist and worth of disciplinary action but calling someone a Paki isn't.
    The problem with this 'find the racist game' is that it's open to any number of players and can veer in unexpected directions as Rafiq is now finding out. His testimony has effectively wrecked the career of an ex England captain and exposed himself as not only a racist but a hypocrite so will probably wreck his own future career as well.

These witch hunts are extremely ugly and should be stopped before they get out of hand. An unpopular cricketer was bullied under the noses of his employers and for this they have questions to answer. But leave the racism out of it.

How does one separate the racism from the bullying when the nature of the bullying was racist?
    It becomes difficult. For example, take the claims on drinking. Is that racist or not? Arguably, I would say the majority factor was not, mainly that he was forced to drink not because he was Muslim but because that was what the players considered “normal” behaviour. It was though offensive to his religious beliefs.

I never thought I would say this but I agree with Roger’s post 100%
    There used to be quite a pub culture when I started in medicine, with us all piling down the pub after the Friday PM teaching for a few pints. That is history now, as the feminisation and multiculturalism nature of the department makes that pub culture increasingly archaic.

Though we do get a good turnout at the Christmas party from a diverse department. Santa arrived with bhangra dancing reindeer...
    In the US one thing that makes Thanksgiving approachable and attractive for immigrants from around the world, is the fact that it is firmly non-sectarian and, despite its specific origins and national traditions, broadly multi-cultural.

Even when you remove the myths, and recognize that the Native Americans REALLY got the short end of the wish-bone, at the core is the coming together of the families AND the whole American family.

Plus even atheists are willing to give thanks every now and then!
    The problem in our household is getting a fresh Turkey a month before Christmas
    Perhaps on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) we should reactivate "Bundles for Britain"?

OR maybe we could arrange for you to get a very special Christmas goose?!?

Personally am not a big fan of turkey UNLESS it is really done right, which in my experience is not often.

How's about a holiday ham?

PS - IF I ask around, sure I can find PLENTY of last-year's fruit cakes to send over . . .
    Some Spam perhaps.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

For me that Rafiq has said antisemitic things has no bearing on what he's revealed about racism in cricket. What it does do is provide material for the next muslim-baiting Rod Liddle column. He'll be tapping away now, I imagine.

IMV it does have bearing. It shows that the problems with racism might be (ahem) more multi-faceted than he was willing to share. Racism may not just be a problem towards people from the India/Pakistan region, or Muslims, but towards other groups as well.

That's important.

It also shows he's somewhat hypocritical, and perhaps not the most reliable witness to events.
    It's fairly simple it seems - the bullied can sometimes also bully others. Those subject to racism are not immune from, whether isolated or frequent, doing racist things. He's not seeking to minimise it at least.
    Someone being the target of systematic abuse doesn't need to be an angel himself for us to be concerned about the abuse, especially as it's unlikely that he was the only victim. Some of the comments on the internet are clearly delighted and drawing the conclusion that his treatment therefore doesn't matter. They're wrong.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    On topic, what a boring and inefficient way of just not voting.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I think Johnson is absolutely fecked now. Just waiting for the inevitable downfall

I agree. I said on the day of Hartlepool that that was peak Johnson, and I can't think of any reason to revise that view. A great entertainer, and that's it.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    IshmaelZ said:

I agree. I said on the day of Hartlepool that that was peak Johnson, and I can't think of any reason to revise that view. A great entertainer, and that's it.
    Brexit - he can muddle through, the Pandemic, people will give him the benefit of the doubt. Rebuilding the county after? He couldn’t give a shit
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

"On track for disaster? PM faces all-out Tory mutiny over rail 'betrayal' with fury he is dooming the North to 100 YEARS of misery by axing flagship 'Levelling Up' plans - and demands for MPs to get a free vote"

It doesn't matter if it's a free vote or a whipped vote - the vote they decide to make will be noted and used against them at the next election.
    'Levelling up' feels dead in the waters of the rivers Aire and Don tonight to me.

But I have been wrong before.
    As noted previously, renaming the DCLG to the even sillier named DLUHC may have been a mistake.
    DCLG is horribly close to DDLG and could lead to terrible, career ending typos. Best to change
    That's an acronym I hadn't been aware of (I nearly said 'come across') which may be as well given my current profession, and don't feel that my life has been particularly enriched by knowing it.

It's the sort of mad idea that old reprobate SeanT would have come up with, if he were still around.

On the other announcement, one thought hadn't occurred to me until I looked at some of the detail. This plan, such as it is, would actually massively reduce capacity on the Midland Mainline by putting more and faster express trains on it. Goodbye to any hope of extra trains on any line that runs near Derby, Chesterfield, Nottingham or Loughborough.

And yet it's promising more trains in those areas.

Something doesn't add up here.

Especially since the section that's being shelved is the cheapest section. It would cost around £5 billion. Peanuts compared to Euston's remodelling (although they're scaling that back too, of course).

I am starting to think an investigation of the bank accounts of certain senior ministers and civil servants would be in order, just to ensure there are no mysterious payments from the air transport industry.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

For me that Rafiq has said antisemitic things has no bearing on what he's revealed about racism in cricket. What it does do is provide material for the next muslim-baiting Rod Liddle column. He'll be tapping away now, I imagine.

IMV it does have bearing. It shows that the problems with racism might be (ahem) more multi-faceted than he was willing to share. Racism may not just be a problem towards people from the India/Pakistan region, or Muslims, but towards other groups as well.

That's important.

It also shows he's somewhat hypocritical, and perhaps not the most reliable witness to events.
    It's fairly simple it seems - the bullied can sometimes also bully others. Those subject to racism are not immune from, whether isolated or frequent, doing racist things. He's not seeking to minimise it at least.
    Someone being the target of systematic abuse doesn't need to be an angel himself for us to be concerned about the abuse, especially as it's unlikely that he was the only victim. Some of the comments on the internet are clearly delighted and drawing the conclusion that his treatment therefore doesn't matter. They're wrong.
    But it allows them to justify their own racist attitudes so it makes them happy.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,475
    Whenever I think of the American Thanksgiving, I am reminded of this 1869 Thomas Nast cartoon: https://www.harpweek.com/09Cartoon/BrowseByDateCartoon.asp?Month=November&Date=22
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

HIs treatment absolutely matters.

What also matters is that, as someone pointed out, he criticised others for claiming not to recollect such abuse only for him to then forget his own tweets.

If you are throwing stones....
  • Options
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    No, he has confirmed it is, and is ashamed of his behaviour. What more do you want him to do?
    A good apology too.

There's a difference between bad remarks made by people years ago that they apologise for when brought up - and doing racist stuff today and covering it up when people complain.

You've got people in charge at Yorkshire right now who think using Zimbo for Zimbabwe is racist and worth of disciplinary action but calling someone a Paki isn't.
    The problem with this 'find the racist game' is that it's open to any number of players and can veer in unexpected directions as Rafiq is now finding out. His testimony has effectively wrecked the career of an ex England captain and exposed himself as not only a racist but a hypocrite so will probably wreck his own future career as well.

These witch hunts are extremely ugly and should be stopped before they get out of hand. An unpopular cricketer was bullied under the noses of his employers and for this they have questions to answer. But leave the racism out of it.

How does one separate the racism from the bullying when the nature of the bullying was racist?
    I obviously wasn't clear otherwise Ed wouldn't have agreed with me. I started by saying in order to do what rafiq has done 'you'd have to be whiter than white...' I wrote it without thinking and changed it to something else and then changed tack completely.

.......My point was that any charge of racism trumps everything. You can lose your job with a word in the wrong place. Maybe that's fair but everyone of us has done it at least inadvertently. If suggesting Rafiq should return his £200,000 to YCC because he was no better than those he accuses is mad.

It wasn't the magic word 'racism' that earned him that £200,000 it was the bullying. Do I think he's a racist who should lose £200,000 and the possibility of future earnings because something he said comes under the category racism? No I don't. This thing had become silly and has a whiff of McCarthyism to boot.
    You will be disappointed Rog but I actually agree with you on that as well.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

Yup if they vote in favour then it's curtains in 2024 anyway. At least if they vote this down and Boris gets axed they've got a shot.

Certainly campaigners who faced their properties being demolished because they were in its path, including as far north as Bramley, Rotherham, are elated it has been scrapped
    Screw the NIMBYs
    The Tories lost Chesham and Amersham in part because of opposition to HS2
    Screw the NIMBYs.
    In a way that's what's most extraordinary. The way the government have done this they manage the maximum of expenditure and political pain for minimal actual gains.

True, a significant capacity uplift on the WCML corridor is in itself welcome, but something like 60% of the extra capacity is reliant on HS2's eastern leg being built.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,846
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    edited November 2021

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

They are, and those can be easily spotted. But not everyone focusing on the latest reveal is trying to do that, so it is not to be presumed to be the case.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,953
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Tbh I've been distinctly unentertained by BJ's antics up till recently. Quite enjoying the show now though.
  • Options
    OT covid lab-leak fans might be interested in Matt Ridley talking about this (to plug his book) on this week's Spectator TV, and this is immediately followed by an American scientist on different evidence.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDh0wc-9hJQ&t=1689s
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

So the guy who complains about ‘inhuman racism’ is a fucking racist

He is also a total fucking hypocrite
    I have zero interest in softhead prejudiced ravings on this matter. And stop typing 'fucking' the whole time. It's fucking tedious to read. Especially for someone (me) who's just had both booster AND flu jab on the same day.
    Ok, let’s make this simple. Given Rafiq’s tweets, do you think he is a racist? Yes or no?
    Those tweets are indicative of antisemitic sentiment at that time in their author. That is undeniable.

As for now, I don't know. Obviously I don't. So why are you asking me?
    I'm asking you (1) so that we have uniform standards and (2) because you seemed to draw a distinction between anti-Semitic and racist comments, which others have also highlighted as well. My own view on Rafiq is that people can change and that he may not be a racist now but complaining about others forgetting when he has skeletons in his own closet is not a good look.

However, let's take this from other angle. If Moxon, Vaughan or anyone made racist comments / tweets in the past, under your argument, we shouldn't assume they are racist because they may have changed and therefore they should be forgiven, not condemned. Is that a fair assumption?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

It becomes difficult. For example, take the claims on drinking. Is that racist or not? Arguably, I would say the majority factor was not, mainly that he was forced to drink not because he was Muslim but because that was what the players considered “normal” behaviour. It was though offensive to his religious beliefs.

There used to be quite a pub culture when I started in medicine, with us all piling down the pub after the Friday PM teaching for a few pints. That is history now, as the feminisation and multiculturalism nature of the department makes that pub culture increasingly archaic.

Though we do get a good turnout at the Christmas party from a diverse department. Santa arrived with bhangra dancing reindeer...
    In the US one thing that makes Thanksgiving approachable and attractive for immigrants from around the world, is the fact that it is firmly non-sectarian and, despite its specific origins and national traditions, broadly multi-cultural.

Even when you remove the myths, and recognize that the Native Americans REALLY got the short end of the wish-bone, at the core is the coming together of the families AND the whole American family.

Perhaps on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) we should reactivate "Bundles for Britain"?

Personally am not a big fan of turkey UNLESS it is really done right, which in my experience is not often.

PS - IF I ask around, sure I can find PLENTY of last-year's fruit cakes to send over . . .
    Some Spam perhaps.
    My partner's parents spoke quite fondly of this US bounty during rationing.

• Options
    eek said:

Re HS2 i have always thought it a stupid project and i generally like infrastructure projects - even Boris' garden bridge seemed fine to me. I

HS2 is a sensible project when you understand the need for additional capacity and the impact multiple speeds on a single track has on total capacity.

We literally go from 10 trains an hour to 30 just by adding the extra set of tracks. And 10 of those additional trains can be local services that simply can't be run at the moment.
    Trouble is that the arguments against HS2 can be boiled down to free-standing three word slogans; "Waste of money", "Save the trees", "Go away London". They're dumb arguments, but short.

The arguments for HS2 are much harder to sloganise, because so many of the benefits are secondary effects that depend on understanding how trains work. Such as "You can't have more commuter trains without HS2, because the fast trains take up so much track space".

In short, the HS2 debate has been/is between catchy wrong arguments and right, but wordy arguments that need a bit of trust in professional expertise to accept.

And we all know what happens then.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

'Levelling up' feels dead in the waters of the rivers Aire and Don tonight to me.

As noted previously, renaming the DCLG to the even sillier named DLUHC may have been a mistake.
    DCLG is horribly close to DDLG and could lead to terrible, career ending typos. Best to change
    That's an acronym I hadn't been aware of (I nearly said 'come across') which may be as well given my current profession, and don't feel that my life has been particularly enriched by knowing it.

It's the sort of mad idea that old reprobate SeanT would have come up with, if he were still around.

On the other announcement, one thought hadn't occurred to me until I looked at some of the detail. This plan, such as it is, would actually massively reduce capacity on the Midland Mainline by putting more and faster express trains on it. Goodbye to any hope of extra trains on any line that runs near Derby, Chesterfield, Nottingham or Loughborough.

And yet it's promising more trains in those areas.

Something doesn't add up here.

Especially since the section that's being shelved is the cheapest section. It would cost around £5 billion. Peanuts compared to Euston's remodelling (although they're scaling that back too, of course).

I am starting to think an investigation of the bank accounts of certain senior ministers and civil servants would be in order, just to ensure there are no mysterious payments from the air transport industry.
    Here is reality. The politicians are clueless. They are spouting nonsense - Johnson claimed they are doubling Manchester - Leeds capacity and TREBLING Manchester - Liverpool. Claims for new journey times that don't pass the sniff test. They know all of this is a decade away from being signed off - they just want the headlines.

Then you dig down. Most of it doesn't yet have a detailed business plan, or sign-off from the Treasury. Laughable "warp speed" announcements like Brum - Nottingham in 28 minutes are an outright fraud moving Nottingham to East Mids Parkway. 12 minutes Leeds - Bradford is an "as little as" "target" pending on the business case supporting it.

Its a lie. We scrapped HS2 and NPR because it was too slow and wouldn't connect places. So instead here is a scheme on the same delivery timetable as the scrapped plans that delivers LESS connectivity.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Why does @david_herdson joining the Yorkshire Party matter? Because there has been a growing movement of voters into local, sub-regional and regional parties. When the big parties don't deliver, find a platform to make your demands.

Yorkshire has just been utterly screwed by the Integrated Rail Plan, with basic connectivity improvements not even in scope of a plan that reaches out to 2043. Labour did nowt, Tories are doing nowt, why vote for either?

I've said for a while that the people who abandoned Labour for Brexit and the Tories will then need another new home as the betrayal becomes clear. Today was a Big Step on their journey in recognising they have been screwed.

All hail the Yorkshire Party, your time has come.

Yorkshire's one of the few areas of England where regional identification is strong enough to make a party vaguely viable. A Nottinghamshire Party would I think be met with bemusement, and a Surrey Party with outright derision. Where else might a local party have traction? I could imagine a London Party, arguing that the capital has needs not recognised by the national parties.

Incidentally, a fiercely-fought Town Council by-election in my ward of Binscombe tonight - Tories vs Greens (a Green councillor stood down due to illness, and Labour and LibDems as coalition partners decided to let them have a clear run). Jeremy Hunt has been taking an active interest.
    Kernow
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2021
    I'd be curious to know if there's a correlation between those who are pro HS2 and those who voted for Brexit.
    I say cancel the whole bloody thing, but by all means build an ordinary modern rail service there instead, including Yorkshire.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Some Spam perhaps.
    My partner's parents spoke quite fondly of this US bounty during rationing.

Without giblets? Rip off.

Otherwise, no notes from me.
  • Options

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

I have zero interest in softhead prejudiced ravings on this matter. And stop typing 'fucking' the whole time. It's fucking tedious to read. Especially for someone (me) who's just had both booster AND flu jab on the same day.
    Ok, let’s make this simple. Given Rafiq’s tweets, do you think he is a racist? Yes or no?
    Referring to someone as a Jew in a third party communication because they are tight-fisted is clearly racist. We don't know if the person is Jewish, quite probably not. It sounds a bit old-fashioned to me, the sort of terminology used in the playground when I was a kid, say 45 years ago.

It is quite clearly different in scale and quality to persistent racial bullying that Azim Rafiq has described.
    45 years ago, it was acceptable to talk about the 'Banana Boat' and plenty of other things. That doesn't make it right. And Rafiq's comments are not 45 years ago.
  • Options
    Not sure what happens to the Winter Olympics if Peng Shuai stays missing. This will escalate bigly beyond the control of the sports authorities who may prefer to keep China on board.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Does the fact that it was racist in nature make the bullying uniquely bad?

Isn’t any bullying wrong regardless of the choice of stick?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eek said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

But it allows them to justify their own racist attitudes so it makes them happy.
    Nope. Four word response to that, of which the second to fourth are "off and die."

If you are trying to make the case that objecting very, very strongly to racism is evidence of racism, the chances are very, very strongly that you are a stupid racist c--t.
  • Options

eek said:

Re HS2 i have always thought it a stupid project and i generally like infrastructure projects - even Boris' garden bridge seemed fine to me. I

HS2 is a sensible project when you understand the need for additional capacity and the impact multiple speeds on a single track has on total capacity.

We literally go from 10 trains an hour to 30 just by adding the extra set of tracks. And 10 of those additional trains can be local services that simply can't be run at the moment.
    Trouble is that the arguments against HS2 can be boiled down to free-standing three word slogans; "Waste of money", "Save the trees", "Go away London". They're dumb arguments, but short.

The arguments for HS2 are much harder to sloganise, because so many of the benefits are secondary effects that depend on understanding how trains work. Such as "You can't have more commuter trains without HS2, because the fast trains take up so much track space".

In short, the HS2 debate has been/is between catchy wrong arguments and right, but wordy arguments that need a bit of trust in professional expertise to accept.

It helped of course that in Joe Rukin Stop HS2 had the only man less intelligent, less scrupulous and less capable of understanding complex issues while still coming up with pithy slogans than Dominic Cummings.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    The Times article on Europe's 4th wave is horrific. German scientists calling for the full closure of indoor socialising. I understand why they are given what's happening there, but at the same time I do wonder how they will stop this from becoming a permanent feature of German society. Same as in Austria, the Netherlands Belgium and other countries already locked down or very soon to be locked down. I'm really worried that no one is willing to have the grown up conversation about what living with COVID really means and what COVID being endemic really means.

All of these measures are looking semi-permanent. Some places in Europe have had proper non socially distanced life for over 18 months. I can see now is clearly not the time to go for full unlockdown in Europe but I really hope the governments of Europe learn the lesson and go hell for leather on reopening from April onwards.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Bullying that reduces one groups participation in a sport from something like 30% at recreational level to 3% at professional level clearly has a wider impact than random bullying of an individual.

Both are equally wrong, but their impact and importance at the societal level is different.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    Why is st rishi not sharing the blame for the end of levelling up?
  • Options

eek said:

It's really very simple - HS2 provides extra capacity that will allow you both a faster train to London and a lot more local services.

It's the latter bit that has never been mentioned and you can see it in the reports that look at increases in Leeds to London trade and ignore all the increases everywhere in between.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Well there was only one story on this evening's Look North, as you might expect.

There was a vox pop from a red wall first time Tory voter from 2019. Realises now that he's been shafted by them and taken for a mug. I do hope that he's representative of the many who were duped.

Let's see if we can turn Airedale and Wharfedale red on the back of this. Wouldn't that be nice?

(Well, those bits in West Yorkshire. Skip and Rip would be a bit of a stretch!)
  • Options

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

Over 1000 complaints to the new cricket hotline in a week show it is not about one bloke.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Referring to someone as a Jew in a third party communication because they are tight-fisted is clearly racist. We don't know if the person is Jewish, quite probably not. It sounds a bit old-fashioned to me, the sort of terminology used in the playground when I was a kid, say 45 years ago.

It is quite clearly different in scale and quality to persistent racial bullying that Azim Rafiq has described.
    45 years ago, it was acceptable to talk about the 'Banana Boat' and plenty of other things. That doesn't make it right. And Rafiq's comments are not 45 years ago.
    Hard to believe but it was acceptable to to talk about tank topped bum boys and piccaninnies with water melon smiles only a few years ago.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,198

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

Screw the NIMBYs
    The Tories lost Chesham and Amersham in part because of opposition to HS2
    Screw the NIMBYs.
    Well the losers at the timer kept saying that the Lib Dems were playing both ends against the middle. Turns out what the voters actually wanted to do was hurt the Tories. You ain't seen nothing yet...
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

It's really very simple - HS2 provides extra capacity that will allow you both a faster train to London and a lot more local services.

It's the latter bit that has never been mentioned and you can see it in the reports that look at increases in Leeds to London trade and ignore all the increases everywhere in between.
    Sure, it's simple. But at 19 words, it's over six times too long.

"You promised, Boris" might cut through.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

It is weird that the PM allowed him to avoid mentioning this in the budget and sharing the blame. Perhaps the PM's lack of interest in planning or detail is not actually an asset in running anything?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    eek said:

eek said:

Indeed. Depends how they prioritise the paths but Phase 1 was said to be capable of delivering a three fold increase in commuter seats from Milton Keynes to London, despite HS2 not stopping there.

It is depressing how many Treasury officials see fit to appropriate an ever greater share of private wealth to be frittered away on any old nonsense, but consider any slowdown or cancellation of long term infrastructure to be their proudest career achievements. Rishi not up to the job if he still hasn’t figured out the culture at the Treasury.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    On topic: I’m not sure more devolution is the answer to this question.
  • Options

moonshine said:

It is weird that the PM allowed him to avoid mentioning this in the budget and sharing the blame. Perhaps the PM's lack of interest in planning or detail is not actually an asset in running anything?
    It’s strange that today Boris was trying to do PR up North and Shaps was revealing the news in the Commons but Rishi was successfully out of sight

He really is way better at politics than Boris ever was
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Some Spam perhaps.
    Ask the Hawaiians, they love the stuff!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sad about David. Honestly I’d rather have him in the Tories fighting to pull it back from the bad state it’s in today. I guess it’s too hard.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Uniquely bad? Not necessarily. But as an additional element I do think it is likely to make it worse in many cases.

I don't think that's especially controversial - all sins are not equal, not all crimes are equally bad just because they are crimes after all. Picking on someone vs picking on someone with racial harrassment for instance are not necessarily equal even though both are wrong.

And is rather irrelevant to the point that was made about separating out racism from the bullying, not assessing which bullying was worse.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    Evening all :)

It's good to hear from @david_herdson who, as those of us who've been longer than five minutes will remember, was the first to ring the alarm bells for the Conservatives at the 2017 election.

He was an activist there and his journey to the Yorkshire Party is not without relevance for those seeking to identify a post-Johnson profile for the Conservatives.

As to the aim of the YP, does that mean we should have a Hampshire Party, a Surrey Party and a Kent Party? There are models of devolution being touted - one by Surrey leader Tim Oliver for example. One problem is such devolution is an illusion - it's simply the re-concentration of power away from Westminster and Whitehall to County Councils.

Not surprisingly, those at District and Borough Councils aren't hugely enamoured of this or Oliver's words.

I agree with David we need a settlement recognising the proper and independent funding of local Government and the powers and responsibilities at each tier of Government. The problem is the decentralising ideas of Nick Hurd have been supplanted by a renewed desire for centralisation in Conservative circles.

Power may have been repatriated from Brussels but all that has happened is it has found its way to Ministers and the Prime Minister. As recent events have shown, if an attitude of indifference bordering on contempt for existing checks and balances takes hold, a governing party of whatever stripe can do a lot of damage.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Headed for lecture circuit . . . then cruise ship appearances . . . then dinner theater gigs . . . then Minsk Fringe Festival . . .
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,846
    Tomorrow's front page as we reflect on a rail plan that's not good enough for Manchester and nowhere near good enough for the North @MENnewsdesk @NorthernAgenda_ @JenWilliamsMEN @ccoxmenmedia @RobParsonsNorth @MrDanDonoghue @NP_Partnership #NorthernPowerhouseRail https://twitter.com/DarrenThwaites/status/1461432804345094156/photo/1
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sad about David. Honestly I’d rather have him in the Tories fighting to pull it back from the bad state it’s in today. I guess it’s too hard.

Yes. David is (was) the epitome of sensible, decent Conservatism. But there's no place for that in the party today.
  • Options
    tomfantomfan Posts: 21
    MaxPB said:

The Times article on Europe's 4th wave is horrific. German scientists calling for the full closure of indoor socialising. I understand why they are given what's happening there, but at the same time I do wonder how they will stop this from becoming a permanent feature of German society. Same as in Austria, the Netherlands Belgium and other countries already locked down or very soon to be locked down. I'm really worried that no one is willing to have the grown up conversation about what living with COVID really means and what COVID being endemic really means.

All of these measures are looking semi-permanent. Some places in Europe have had proper non socially distanced life for over 18 months. I can see now is clearly not the time to go for full unlockdown in Europe but I really hope the governments of Europe learn the lesson and go hell for leather on reopening from April onwards.

Agree with all of that. I would add that the political landscape here might look very different if Europe is closed down over the winter whilst the UK remains open more or less without restrictions. Possibly a big if mind.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

I was about to say PMs can hardly blame their Chancellor without looking impotent, but we have seen it happen - such as when something in a budget unravels and we're expected to believe, following a u-turn, that the PM had no real input or final say on what was announced.

He'll share in it if the narrative is that the Treasury was behind the changes, and that can certainly be pushed by the PM's people.
  • Options
    eek said:

moonshine said:

It’s strange that today Boris was trying to do PR up North and Shaps was revealing the news in the Commons but Rishi was successfully out of sight

Another question - how on Earth has Grant Shapps ever made it in politics?

He's a liar, a fool and a failure. He's incoherent, lazy and has never done anything useful in his life. He's Johnson with slightly better articulation.

And he's not only in the House of Commons, but in the Cabinet.

He'd be out of his depth in whatever Handforth Parish Council is calling itself this week.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

They need to go hell for leather on jabbing. We already have the solution, and it's cheap, easy and safe.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,380
    eek said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

I think there's too much of a desire to divide individuals up into good and evil here.

I think that Rafiq is guilty of not questioning his own assumptions, and the assumptions of those around him, about Jewish people.

Ditto the racist 'banter' in YCCC

I don't think it is helpful to say XY is a RACIST, and must therefore be shunned for life, or drummed out of politics or cricket forever, or whatever. That's a cheap and easy option for those making the accusation, and perhaps for the accused.

Is it more creaetive to consider it as a spectrum like (say) alcoholism, and that everyone is recovering from various forms of prejudice, about which we will only agree sometimes?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

moonshine said:

He's a liar, a fool and a failure. He's incoherent, lazy and has never done anything useful in his life. He's Johnson with slightly better articulation.

He'd be out of his depth in whatever Handforth Parish Council is calling itself this week.
    Guilty knowledge? That is, who's guilty and of what.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    Nigelb said:

darkage said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Katherine Birbalsingh said something along the lines of we are all a bit racist. Yet people get cancelled or have their careers ruined because of a dodgy remark they made a decade ago. We have lost sight of the ancient truth that people are flawed. This is essentially the pursuit of purity; the totalitarian dimension of woke. It has to be completely destroyed, and if this means voting for someone like Farage or Trump, then so be it, because this is a catastrophic way to run a society. We need to get back to the position where people just get corrected and censured when they make a mistake, but there should be redemption: No one should have their lives ruined over things like this.

Which is, I think, pretty well what Rafiq himself has said ?
    (Without the Trump nonsense.)
    Yeah. It is the sane view that most people would hold when forced to seriously think about the issue. But forgiveness and pragmatism is in short supply in the real world; as Ai Wei Wei said, we are already in a authoritarian state, we (or most people) just don't necessarily realise it yet.

I make no apologies in saying that I will vote for whoever is most likely to put an end to this. I regard myself as an anti racist in the true sense; society has to teach people to be aware of and overcome their prejudices. But it is a massive error to think we can rid ourselves of them completely, as the woke naively assume.

Having said that, I'd rather live in a society which is a bit racist, than one where people get effectively banished from society for thinking the wrong thoughts and saying the wrong things. Someone said it is McCarthyism; I would say actually it is more reminiscent of the worst excesses of communism.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

eek said:

I think we need to see how it plays out as more detail emerges

Certainly tonight's YouGov with only 28% opposition to the cancellation of HS2E is an early indication that it may not be as unpopular as some hope
    Tory voters back the government's decision to scrap the HS2 link from Birmingham to Leeds by 35% to 23% though Labour voters are opposed by 37% to 22%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/11/18/98559/1
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897
    edited November 2021
    Absolubtely bonkers that a journalist would think it OK to follow a jury anywhere in a highly charged murder case.

Something the press (I believe this is correct) has absolubtely and always avoided is any sort of jury interaction in this country during a trial. And quite right too. The only person that's half doxxed a jury over here is err... Tommy Robinson I think.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,953
    edited November 2021
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

moonshine said:

Almost certain that he’s been touted on here as a potential Con leader, mind.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

moonshine said:

I was about to say PMs can hardly blame their Chancellor without looking impotent, but we have seen it happen - such as when something in a budget unravels and we're expected to believe, following a u-turn, that the PM had no real input or final say on what was announced.

He'll share in it if the narrative is that the Treasury was behind the changes, and that can certainly be pushed by the PM's people.
    Can there be any other reason why this dog's breakfast is being presented today other than the dead, cold hand of London-centric Treasury captured Sunak and he agreed to pitch Johnson into the shit along with the North?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

moonshine said:

The swings he achieved in Welwyn Hatfield in the early 2000s singled him out as a sort of proto-Boris. Perhaps he's been dining out on those ever since.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

ydoethur said:

eek said:

moonshine said:

Almost certain that he’s been touted on here as a potential future Con leader, mind.
    All the best potential Tory leaders have pretended to be Liberal Democrats at some point.

So Liz Truss' many admirers tell me...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

They need to go hell for leather on jabbing. We already have the solution, and it's cheap, easy and safe.
    That's true as well, yet the Netherlands has got a second dose rate the same as ours and yet they are registering an equivalent of 100k cases per day and rising, Belgium has a similar rate too and it's hitting 110k equivalent cases in a day. Natural immunity will always play a role in any disease becoming endemic, I think the nations of Europe need to face up to that and accept that, yes, some people who refused the vaccine and some older people for whom the vaccine doesn't work are probably going to die of COVID. It's still about the only decision taken by this government I've supported and still support.

Ultimately, we all need to accept that life now carries a bit more risk than it did in 2019 and will do so for a couple of years while nCov-SARS2 becomes Cov-SARS2. The government scientists definitely got one thing right in May when they realised the extent to which Delta changed the game - every single person in the world will now get COVID, the outcome now depends on vaccine status which brings us back to your point - get jabbing. It also means don't bother containing as well, and we've definitely got that bit right.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

An extraordinarily ungallant comment from Boris Johnson about his wife, Carrie. How on Earth did he judge this appropriate?
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/james-ball-boris-johnson-tory-sleaze/ https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1461398582263783430/photo/1

Golly.

"It would be easy after the events of the past two weeks to dismiss the prime minister as a mere sleazy politician. But it would also be unfair. He’s also a venal, self-serving man – and frequently a cruel one, as the remark about Symonds, whom he married only in late May, shows."

Remarkable, even by his standards.
    He really is an awful person. I struggle to find anything redeeming about him. I wish the country had listened to Max Hastings' warnings.
    Can't resist the cheap laugh, even at the expense of his wife.
    We have a PM who is a grade A shit.
    That’s the most perceptive comment on the topic. I suspect it says nothing about their relationship.

But confirms that Johnson is a dick
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,380
    edited November 2021
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

An extraordinarily ungallant comment from Boris Johnson about his wife, Carrie. How on Earth did he judge this appropriate?
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/james-ball-boris-johnson-tory-sleaze/ https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1461398582263783430/photo/1

Golly.

"It would be easy after the events of the past two weeks to dismiss the prime minister as a mere sleazy politician. But it would also be unfair. He’s also a venal, self-serving man – and frequently a cruel one, as the remark about Symonds, whom he married only in late May, shows."

Remarkable, even by his standards.
    He really is an awful person. I struggle to find anything redeeming about him. I wish the country had listened to Max Hastings' warnings.
    Can't resist the cheap laugh, even at the expense of his wife.
    We have a PM who is a grade A shit.
    That’s the most perceptive comment on the topic. I suspect it says nothing about their relationship.

But confirms that Johnson is a dick
    What do you expect? His very name makes it clear; he is A Johnson.
  • Options
    tomfan said:

MaxPB said:

Agree with all of that. I would add that the political landscape here might look very different if Europe is closed down over the winter whilst the UK remains open more or less without restrictions. Possibly a big if mind.
    I don't think the government gets a boost from it, their base (mostly older people) are in favour of lockdowns and think it's irresponsible to not save every single person from dying of this. It's the under 40s that are more pragmatic and would rebel against lockdowns but the Tories won't find it easy getting our votes after all of the unfair taxes and days such as this where they refuse to invest in the future of the nation in favour of shovelling old people more of our tax.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,140
    edited November 2021
    Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

HS2 (as planned in full )

Length ≈ 300 miles

Cost: £80 - 100billion

So roughly 4x the cost, for 4x the distance. Never mind the millions more people with access relative to CrossRail.

One gets built. The other doesn't.

Guess what the difference is?

Yep. One is in London, where all MPs live most of the time along with all the civil servants and planners.
  • Options

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

Can there be any other reason why this dog's breakfast is being presented today other than the dead, cold hand of London-centric Treasury captured Sunak and he agreed to pitch Johnson into the shit along with the North?
    It could be they're just all very thick?
  • Options
    Slow month, must have been on holiday

Former cabinet minister Sir Geoffrey Cox earned £54,400 for legal work that he carried out in August, the latest details on MPs' earnings show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59336581
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

So roughly 4x the cost, for 4x the distance. Never mind the millions more people with access relative to CrossRail.

Yep. One is in London, where all MPs live most of the time along with all the civil servants and planners.

Not entirely fair, a large fraction of it is being built.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

To be fair, even Crossrail took a very long time to be approved.

For some reason, the U.K. doesn’t like to spend money on infrastructure very much.
  • Options
    MattW said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

I think there's too much of a desire to divide individuals up into good and evil here.

I think that Rafiq is guilty of not questioning his own assumptions, and the assumptions of those around him, about Jewish people.

I don't think it is helpful to say XY is a RACIST, and must therefore be shunned for life, or drummed out of politics or cricket forever, or whatever. That's a cheap and easy option for those making the accusation, and perhaps for the accused.

Is it more creaetive to consider it as a spectrum like (say) alcoholism, and that everyone is recovering from various forms of prejudice, about which we will only agree sometimes?
    I agree with most of your post but has anyone on this site actually suggested people must be shunned for life for racism? Has Rafiq? Have YCCC? or the ECB?

Perhaps the odd poster has but Rafiq and the vast majority who are glad things are out in the open are content with changing the future.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Absolubtely bonkers that a journalist would think it OK to follow a jury anywhere in a highly charged murder case.

Something the press (I believe this is correct) has absolubtely and always avoided is any sort of jury interaction in this country during a trial. And quite right too. The only person that's half doxxed a jury over here is err... Tommy Robinson I think.

NBC scrambling back big time and claiming this has nothing to do with them and that the chap is a freelancer who did this off his own back. Possible but, if it comes out, they are lying, there are serious issues here.
  • Options
    Humble proposal - for a PB election!

Conducted - AV of course - for ten important offices:

1. PBer most likely to serve as Minister of Funny Walks in future Conservative ministry.

2. Funniest PBer.

3. Meanest PBer (a real dogfight!)

4. Best new PBer (began posting in past year)

5. Best returned PBer (hint hint)

6. Best PBer of All Time

7. Best "Leon" persona

8, 9 & 10. ____________ (suggestions welcomed!)

• Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

It could be they're just all very thick?
    Maybe. Or they just don't care.

We have reached the stage where this government actually delivering on a single promise should be headline news.
  • Options
    MEN:

These two maps show the difference between the rail plan northern cities were promised and what we've ended up with.

Some elements of the original plan have remained, but gone is the brand new 40-mile high speed line between Manchester and Leeds via Bradford, which was at the heart of Northern Powerhouse Rail.

Along with the removal of the eastern leg of HS2, this has been 'watered down' to become a patchwork of a new high speed line from Warrington to Marsden in Yorkshire, via Manchester, tacked on to an upgraded TransPennine rote.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-rail-plan-maps-new-22204476
  • Options

1. PBer most likely to serve as Minister of Funny Walks in future Conservative ministry.

2. Funniest PBer.

6. Best PBer of All Time

7. Best "Leon" persona

1. TSE just walking normally but in his new shoes
  • Options
    Anyway, who needs trains when there are lovely new offences to be introduced.

This is government for the very elderly.

If you want to imagine the future, picture an orthopaedic shoe stamping on a human face - for ever.

• Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Hard to believe but it was acceptable to to talk about tank topped bum boys and piccaninnies with water melon smiles only a few years ago.
    The last time I remember hearing that talk was in the 1990s - it died off in the 2000s. Hence why "Life on Mars" was so popular when you had Gene Hunt sprouting the lines
  • Options
    tomfantomfan Posts: 21
    MaxPB said:

tomfan said:

MaxPB said:

I don't think the government gets a boost from it, their base (mostly older people) are in favour of lockdowns and think it's irresponsible to not save every single person from dying of this. It's the under 40s that are more pragmatic and would rebel against lockdowns but the Tories won't find it easy getting our votes after all of the unfair taxes and days such as this where they refuse to invest in the future of the nation in favour of shovelling old people more of our tax.
    Maybe. However the government clearly got a vaccine boost in the polls, and much was made of that in the context of comparisons with the rest of Europe. The same may happen to some extent if the UK remains open through the winter.

I think your characterisation of the Tory base is a little too generalised, and in many cases just plain wrong.
  • Options

If you want to imagine the future, picture an orthopaedic shoe stamping on a human face - for ever.

Totally agree. For many people (myself included) dogs are an integral part of our family and too many have been stolen, causing immense heartache. Criminals were undeterred because the penalties were a joke. Not now.
  • Options

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

For some reason, the U.K. doesn’t like to spend money on infrastructure very much.
    But in the end it did get approved and built.

Why?

Because it is in London.

This country needs a massive dose of devolution to break the london-based political blackhole.

• Options
    edited November 2021

2. Funniest PBer.

6. Best PBer of All Time

7. Best "Leon" persona

1. HYUFD - happy to serve in any capacity, and would passionately commit to any ministry
    2. Theuniondivvie/ydoethur
    3. Is this to be a badge of pride or shame? As that will affect the answer. I think malcg would be disappointed not to win out.
    4. Calendar 12 months? That may exclude a few honourable mentions.
    5. SeaShanyIrish (I can take a hint)
    6. OGH of course (I'm a suck up)
    7. Leon, for persistance.
  • Options

MattW said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

I agree with most of your post but has anyone on this site actually suggested people must be shunned for life for racism? Has Rafiq? Have YCCC? or the ECB?

Perhaps the odd poster has but Rafiq and the vast majority who are glad things are out in the open are content with changing the future.
    The earnings potential of Michael Vaughan etc is crumbled to zero post-this. So, yes, he has effectively been shunned for life. Or at least he will have lifelong effects.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

2. Funniest PBer.

6. Best PBer of All Time

7. Best "Leon" persona

How about “Conservative Party HQ Employee of the Month”
    We've got to have more than one possible winner.

I mean, there are at least a couple of people apart from me who occasionally come out with funny remarks. But Hyufd would just win that every month.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787

MattW said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

You say this, but a couple of days ago Leon posted about 15 examples of where unremarkable, ordinary people had lost their jobs for using racist language, which he unearthed in about 2 minutes on google. Of course, these inconvenient revelations were met with silence and disinterest on PB. So there is obviously a problem which most people are in denial of.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    MrEd said:

Totally agree. For many people (myself included) dogs are an integral part of our family and too many have been stolen, causing immense heartache. Criminals were undeterred because the penalties were a joke. Not now.
    We already had such an offence. It’s called “Theft” and carries a maximum sentence of 7 years.

Most of the time we don’t need populist new laws, we just need to enforce the existing ones.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

Not entirely fair, a large fraction of it is being built.
    Building a fraction of a high speed line is just a joke.

As soon as the high speed trains reach the non-high speed, existing rail lines, then capacity will become an issue.

As others have pointed out on here earlier, as soon as the slow stopping chufchuf train from say Derby to Nottingham breaks down then the HS service is no longer high speed.

• Options

Crossrail.

Length ≈ 70 miles

Cost ≈ £20billion

Length ≈ 300 miles

But in the end it did get approved and built.

Why?

Because it is in London.

This country needs a massive dose of devolution to break the london-based political blackhole.

Alternative solution, we rename the country as London. Those of us in London Wessex or London Scotland would get our fair due then.
  • Options

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Bullying that reduces one groups participation in a sport from something like 30% at recreational level to 3% at professional level clearly has a wider impact than random bullying of an individual.

Both are equally wrong, but their impact and importance at the societal level is different.
    What you say is right

But you are misunderstanding my point. If they hadn’t been bullying him about his race it could have been his height or the shape of his ears or anything else. Bullies pick on perceived weaknesses.

It’s the action, not the intention, that matters
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

That's important.

Yes of course. Just as very often child abusers were themselves subject to abuse themselves in childhood. If we require victims to be as pure as angels we will ignore an awful lot of crimes.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I don’t have much of an opinion on this racism thing as I don’t follow cricket and I don’t know the individuals.

However, nuking YCCC seems a reasonable outcome at this stage.
  • Options

2. Funniest PBer.

6. Best PBer of All Time

7. Best "Leon" persona

Unfortunately I think that I am unlikely to win this one...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    tomfan said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe. However the government clearly got a vaccine boost in the polls, and much was made of that in the context of comparisons with the rest of Europe. The same may happen to some extent if the UK remains open through the winter.

I think your characterisation of the Tory base is a little too generalised, and in many cases just plain wrong.
    Perhaps it's your characterisation of the electorate that's at fault. Yes, the Government got a boost from the relief the vaccinations provided - the realisation there was an end to this and life would resume more or less normally.

However, the world has moved on - the pandemic is for many in the rear mirror and there are new issues coming to the public consciousness and in the last couple of weeks even the most ardent Government supporter would concede it's not been plain sailing though much of that has been self-inflicted.

It's the day-to-day business of government where Johnson and his administration are being found wanting as today's announcements confirm.
  • Options

MrEd said:

We already had such an offence. It’s called “Theft” and carries a maximum sentence of 7 years.

Most of the time we don’t need populist new laws, we just need to enforce the existing ones.
    Absolutely. Are the police going to investigate is the real question. Most of all people want their pooch back.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

2. Funniest PBer.

6. Best PBer of All Time

7. Best "Leon" persona

Unfortunately I think that I am unlikely to win this one...
    Someone doth protest too much I think.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

What you say is right

But you are misunderstanding my point. If they hadn’t been bullying him about his race it could have been his height or the shape of his ears or anything else. Bullies pick on perceived weaknesses.

It’s the action, not the intention, that matters
    The outcome matters as well. And that is much wider for racist bullying than it is for individual bullying, so one is more newsworthy than the other, even if an HR department should internally treat them similarly.
This discussion has been closed.