Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It is still odds-on that BoJo will survive as PM till 2024 or later – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@Charles and @MaxPB and @Richard_Nabavi

You guys know about this stuff. If the FDA and its brethren accelerate approval of the Pfizer drug, how long before they can ramp up production and these pills reach Europe? What's a likely time-scale?

It feels like Europe - the mainland anyway - is now in a sprint between the winter wave and the arrival of these antivirals

I’ve just returned from Spain, where they had a mask mandate in the middle of summer / warm bit of autumn. That to me seem unwise, as presumably it’s better to munch your exit wave when the weather is good, as masking simply delays it?
    We have a mask mandate in Los Angeles County - it's basically shops, public transport, the communal areas of office building (lifts), plus the ridiculous dance in restaurants when you get up to use the bathroom.

The US still has very onerous Federal rules on airplanes (where they get very annoyed with you if you remove your mask for more than a few seconds), and in airports.
    I’ve just come back from Greece where nobody minded too much about masks.

Nor did anyone on the Ryanair flight back. I mean, you are of course supposed to wear them but nobody is going to make you.
    Infections are getting bad in Greece, and rising fast. The death rate is now twice ours (and we're already bad compared with other western European countries):

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1456586903302639620

So it's not just weather.
    It's hard to know what is going on without also knowing the state of lockdowns - if any - in individual countries

Is there anywhere that tells you this? in one handy graphic?
    No.

Not least because it's complicated. Germany has no national retrictions at all, leaving it all to the individual Lander.
    Though the differences are probably quite minor between most states. There are 3g rules (occasionally 2g, but this seems to be up to venues to decide), and mask mandates. Then there are details about how many thousands can attend an event outside if there is no dancing or whatever. We still have masks inside in schools when not sat at own desk, which other states have dropped - that's about the biggest difference I know of right now, but obviously I'm not checking the rules all the time.

Checking whether people are vaccinated or tested or recovered to enter pubs etc is very lax here, at least up to now - not like in parts of Spain where they apparently really scan the QR codes, and check your ID matches.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

The latest polling still has the Tories comfortably winning most seats and most polls still have Boris preferred as PM to Starmer.

Unless that changes, Boris will survive up to 2024. Plus of course the longer he stays as PM the more his valued on the lecture circuit increases post Premiership. If he wants to be in the Blair and Thatcher league of speakers and earning millions on the lecture circuit he needs to be there for a decade at least

How many points ahead do Labour have to be for most seats crossover?
    40 to 37 just manages it on new boundaries if everyone else stays the same.
    Ominously, no majority is possible on those numbers without the SNP.
    Except Grand Coalition of course.
    Labour's SNP problem never seems to go away. The only way it would is if somehow another independence referendum is held before the next election and the pro-Indy side loses it, which would mean they wouldn't be able to demand another one from Labour so soon.
    Yeah.
    Although the really interesting thing about 40-37 is that there would be no combination which would produce a majority at all. Apart from 3.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

You would feel the SNP would be in a strong position. Would not like to speculate what might happen.
    And how would voters behave if that were the prospect? Difficult to say.
    Labour have been soft on the indyref2 for a while now. A Lab-SNP coaltion doesn't seem that unlikely.
    Starmer would likely give the SNP indyref2 if he needs their confidence and supply to become PM in a hung parliament.

Probably with devomax as a carrot to Scots to try and get them to vote No again
    I agree with this analysis apart from the devomax bit (although you may be right there too)

Us Yoons know that Tories/Bozo are best for the union.
    Why don't you want to have the vote, win it, and kill Sindy off good and proper instead of this 'delay delay' approach?
    You won't kill Sindy off unless a second vote is held a genuine generation after 2014, which is at minimum 10-15 years after. Canada proved that when the second Quebec independence referendum was only held in 1995, 15 years after the first in 1980.

Otherwise the SNP would demand indyref3 the next day you already having given in to them once and held indyref2 within a generation of indyref1, unless No won by a landslide
    You will never kill off indyrefs

I have lived with them since the early 1950s
    There's only been one!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

eek said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Fucking hell, next he'll admit to not knowing 'Paki' is an offensive term.

Yorkshire head coach Andrew Gale is being investigated by bosses over anti-Semitic social media messages, it has emerged amid the club's deepening racism crisis.

In a now deleted post on Twitter from November 2010, the then club captain told Paul Dews, who was head of media at Leeds United Football Club at the time, to "Button it y--!"

Gale told the Jewish News website, which first reported the tweet, that he was “completely unaware” of the offensive nature of the term at the time he sent the message.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/05/yorkshire-cricket-racism-storm-chairman-quits-hits-ecb-latest/

Good grief.

I am starting to think Yorkshire CCC won't survive this.
    Even back in the late seventies I was aware that paki and yid were offensive terms.
    Yes, I lived in Leeds in the 70s and 80s, near Headingley. The local skinheads, loosely affiliated to the National Front, had a favourite sport. It was called "Paki-bashing", and was, sadly, quite widespread. The idea that anybody in Leeds, even back then, didn't know that 'Paki' was offensive is ludicrous.
    The argument seems to be that although "Paki" was offensive in the 70s / 80s by 2010 it was merely banter.

No, sorry that's only true if you are completely stupid, I can't think of any word that has become less offensive over time.
    Fuck? As in, a word that's become less offensive over time. When I were a lad, it was a complete no-no, whereas these days - well, I believe it's very common, even on television and in the cinema......
    George Carlin could probably do his “Seven words you can’t say on television” bit, in the early evening these days.
  • JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    algarkirk said:

JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

The latest polling still has the Tories comfortably winning most seats and most polls still have Boris preferred as PM to Starmer.

Unless that changes, Boris will survive up to 2024. Plus of course the longer he stays as PM the more his valued on the lecture circuit increases post Premiership. If he wants to be in the Blair and Thatcher league of speakers and earning millions on the lecture circuit he needs to be there for a decade at least

Labour's SNP problem never seems to go away. The only way it would is if somehow another independence referendum is held before the next election and the pro-Indy side loses it, which would mean they wouldn't be able to demand another one from Labour so soon.
    Yeah.
    Although the really interesting thing about 40-37 is that there would be no combination which would produce a majority at all. Apart from 3.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

You would feel the SNP would be in a strong position. Would not like to speculate what might happen.
    Labour have been soft on the indyref2 for a while now. A Lab-SNP coaltion doesn't seem that unlikely.
    Starmer would likely give the SNP indyref2 if he needs their confidence and supply to become PM in a hung parliament.

I agree with this analysis apart from the devomax bit (although you may be right there too)

Why don't you want to have the vote, win it, and kill Sindy off good and proper instead of this 'delay delay' approach?
    If the Union side were to win again the next day you'd have indyref3 trending on twitter.
    Boris has a good political reason not to hold Ref2 - if he loses it it is bad for the union and for Boris, but if he wins it it is good for Labour, and therefore bad for the Tories, because the SNP will be for a few years a harmless centre left party that can ally with Labour against the Tories. Which would make voting Labour much easier for unionists who want a stable government. Ref2 is lose/lose for Boris.

I don't entirely understand the convoluted argument I'll play anyway; it's a Lose/Win for Labour

Lose the chance of governing England (or indeed the Island)

Win the chance of governing Scotland.
  • Meanwhile, at Yorkshire County Cricket Club

https://twitter.com/mocent0/status/1456339146088357896/photo/1
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1456654298503385089

Not much support for him staying on.

Rather surprising it's Tory voters who are more against Mr Paterson than the average voter.

Probably because some of them realise the damage he's doing to the party. Interesting to know which kind of voter, mind.
    The demographic split is shown here

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/11/05/f7086/1?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=DA_5_Nov_2011_A

Very little variation at all, except that many 18-21s have no opinion while the 65+ generation is particularly hostile (as are LibDems). Gender, region and other political preferences have only small differences.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Yorkshire head coach Andrew Gale is being investigated by bosses over anti-Semitic social media messages, it has emerged amid the club's deepening racism crisis.

In a now deleted post on Twitter from November 2010, the then club captain told Paul Dews, who was head of media at Leeds United Football Club at the time, to "Button it y--!"

Gale told the Jewish News website, which first reported the tweet, that he was “completely unaware” of the offensive nature of the term at the time he sent the message.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/05/yorkshire-cricket-racism-storm-chairman-quits-hits-ecb-latest/

Good grief.

Even back in the late seventies I was aware that paki and yid were offensive terms.
    Yes, I lived in Leeds in the 70s and 80s, near Headingley. The local skinheads, loosely affiliated to the National Front, had a favourite sport. It was called "Paki-bashing", and was, sadly, quite widespread. The idea that anybody in Leeds, even back then, didn't know that 'Paki' was offensive is ludicrous.
    The argument seems to be that although "Paki" was offensive in the 70s / 80s by 2010 it was merely banter.

No, sorry that's only true if you are completely stupid, I can't think of any word that has become less offensive over time.
    Fuck? As in, a word that's become less offensive over time. When I were a lad, it was a complete no-no, whereas these days - well, I believe it's very common, even on television and in the cinema......
    George Carlin could probably do his “Seven words you can’t say on television” bit, in the early evening these days.
    Stan Boardman was banned from TV for telling the joke about the Focke and the Messerschmitt live on prime time TV in the 1980s on the Des O'Connor show.

Mind you, these days he'd be cancelled for his racist views anyway.
  • kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

You won't kill Sindy off unless a second vote is held a genuine generation after 2014, which is at minimum 10-15 years after. Canada proved that when the second Quebec independence referendum was only held in 1995, 15 years after the first in 1980.

Otherwise the SNP would demand indyref3 the next day you already having given in to them once and held indyref2 within a generation of indyref1, unless No won by a landslide

There's only been one!
    The threat has been there since then, and remember Berwick where I lived in the early fifties has changed hands 13 times
  • kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

These people haven't got their underwear entirely clean since a single poll showed Yes ahead in the week before the 2014 referendum. Avoidance of grief, incontinence and having to sell Bettertogether II with the fat, lying sack of jizz at the centre of it are the psychological drivers.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

There's only been one!
    Scotland did once choose to form a union with England. So really the 2014 thing was the 2nd.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

Rather surprising it's Tory voters who are more against Mr Paterson than the average voter.

Probably because some of them realise the damage he's doing to the party. Interesting to know which kind of voter, mind.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/11/05/f7086/1?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=DA_5_Nov_2011_A

Very little variation at all, except that many 18-21s have no opinion while the 65+ generation is particularly hostile (as are LibDems). Gender, region and other political preferences have only small differences.
    Of course, yes: confounding variabvle of age. It's actually other parties which are harder on him, thanks.

The oldies can remember a different time.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

And yet there's only been one since 1707, so it's not a lot of living with really.

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

These people haven't got their underwear entirely clean since a single poll showed Yes ahead in the week before the 2014 referendum. Avoidance of grief, incontinence and having to sell Bettertogether II with the fat, lying sack of jizz at the centre of it are the psychological drivers.
    I wouldn't have said Nicola Sturgeon was fat, personally.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

Stan Boardman was banned from TV for telling the joke about the Focke and the Messerschmitt live on prime time TV in the 1980s on the Des O'Connor show.

According to Wokepedia he was cancelled by Leeds United as far back as 2002.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

I think they need to appoint me Chief Executive and Executive Chairman of YCCC and I'll fix all the problems.

A strong Yorkshire means a strong England.
    I have always found Yorkshire kind of annoying, for a few reasons:

1. Claiming to be in the North, even though parts of it are closer to London than to the Scottish border
    2. Yorkshire Tea, which self-evidently isn't produced in Yorkshire
    3. Being referred to by its residents as God's own Country, which seems rather boastful and potentially blasphemous, especially if you've ever spent time in some of the ropier bits
    4. Geoffrey Boycott.
    Boycott, I'll concede. You can have YCCC too.

As a southerner naturalised in Yorkshire I answer the others as follows:
    1. Anything north of Watford Gap is north. Plus Yorkshire folk say bath, not barth.
    2. Yorkshire tea is indeed produced in Yorkshire. The raw ingredients come from elsewhere. Next you'll be claiming that BP petrol isn't really British! :open_mouth:
    3. God's Own Country? Well Jacob Rees-Mogg says it isn't.[1] Case closed?

[1] https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-yorkshire-is-not-gods-own-country-somerset-is-3146769
    On the basis that JRM is always wrong I will concede 3. On 1. you are basically denying the existence of the Midlands, where I think most of Yorkshire is located. On 2., I think the petrol refining process is a more substantive procedure than mixing up tea leaves from several countries and putting them in a perforated bag. Yorkshire tea is not from Yorkshire (it is from India, Sri Lanka and Kenya).
    Ah, compromise :smile: I'm happy to negotiate.

On 1. There was a lad at university (in the midlands) from Nottingham who denied he was northern. We didn't believe him, either. I have slightly more sympathy with his position now. Happy to re-set the dividing line to the Humber and disown South Yorkshire (happy, on current events, to lose West Yorkshire, too).
    On 2. Rename the product to 'Yorkshire Teabags'? At least until it turns out the bagging is done in High Wycombe...

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

And no (or at least a much smaller) figleaf in the way of Slab to cover the soiled underwear this time. That alone will be a huge difference.

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

And yet there's only been one since 1707, so it's not a lot of living with really.
    It's the fear, innit.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

That 65+ figure isn't good news for the government, is it? Hopefully the oldies are turning on the Tories due to their moral turpitude (the Tories' moral turpitude that is, not the oldies').
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

maaarsh said:

England cases down aggressively, hospital admissions down 15% on last week, and total hospital occupancy down on yesterday and same day last week.

So - lockdown coming then...
    rkrkrk said:

34k cases, & numbers in hospital declining in all 4 nations, looks like pretty good news.

Are you still in favour of Plan B?
    I haven't changed my opinion we should be doing what I see as good bits of plan B (compulsory masks on public transport, encourage wfh) + some things not on plan B -> improve school ventilation, update symptom list, improve sick pay.

Given R is about 1 now, we could probably nudge it below with that lot and get cases down before Winter comes.

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

Just simply wrong - You'd by a #indyref3 Type as surely as you are a SNP Type now.

eek said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

I still couldn't say it in earshot of my parents but, yes, these days it's more a case of you're a bit unusual if you don't spray that around. I watched a Bob Dylan doc recently and the (still) angelic looking Joan Baez when being interviewed could not get through a sentence without a dozen or so fucks. It was slightly disconcerting.
  • Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

That 65+ figure isn't good news for the government, is it? Hopefully the oldies are turning on the Tories due to their moral turpitude (the Tories' moral turpitude that is, not the oldies').
    The only saving grace in this saga is that Paterson has resigned and left politics
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

Entirely because he's so lowered himself that the Labour calls of 'sleaze' are dead right.
    rkrkrk said:

maaarsh said:

England cases down aggressively, hospital admissions down 15% on last week, and total hospital occupancy down on yesterday and same day last week.

rkrkrk said:

34k cases, & numbers in hospital declining in all 4 nations, looks like pretty good news.

I haven't changed my opinion we should be doing what I see as good bits of plan B (compulsory masks on public transport, encourage wfh) + some things not on plan B -> improve school ventilation, update symptom list, improve sick pay.

Given R is about 1 now, we could probably nudge it below with that lot and get cases down before Winter comes.
    What astounds me is that if one goes and looks at a good quality Victorian school - say, one of the late C19 "public schools", but even an ordinary board school will often do - there is huge emphasis on ventilation. High ceilings, high windows, great chunks of the windows open, the dormitories are like a Florence Nightingale-ist hospital ward, and so on. This has been lost to a great degree.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited November 2021
    rkrkrk said:

maaarsh said:

rkrkrk said:

As you say, a big fall in new infections today - 22% lower than the same day last week.

We wait for the good figures of the last few days to feed through to lower hospitalisations.
  • And the gloom update is in:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    8m
    Replying to
    @chrischirp
    There was a reduction in both LFD and PCR tests over half term, so take drop in reported cases with a grain of salt over half term.

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

The only saving grace in this saga is that Paterson has resigned and left politics
    Not yet; he seems quite likely to end up as a peer.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

And the gloom update is in:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    8m
    Replying to
    @chrischirp
    There was a reduction in both LFD and PCR tests over half term, so take drop in reported cases with a grain of salt over half term.

What on Earth are Christina and friends going to do once there’s no more pandemic, and a dozen journalists and TV producers no longer have them on speed dial?
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

I very much doubt that no matter the rumours
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

"Arise Lord Paterson of Ellesmere".
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

SKS is next PM if that happens. Paterson should be chased from the face of the Earth.
  • Every silver lining has a cloud:

LONG THREAD on UK Covid situation...

cases, hospitals, deaths, long covid, variants, global - all dealing with consistent themes.

TLDR: "living with" with high cases is bad idea. Especially while boosters and teen vax is slow and new viral treatments are on the horizon! 1/25

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1456663740397535233?s=20
    edited November 2021
    Despite having a Glaswegian mother, I'm not hugely invested in the Scottish issue, being fairly neutral. But for Labour, the politics of it are simple. Starmer will fight the next election on a) no coalition with the SNP, b) no promise, or even hint, of another referendum. He has no choice.

What happens after that, if by any chance the Tories don't succeed in having a majority to form a government, will depend entirely on the numbers. But I'm confident that Starmer would prefer to risk another election rather than be held to ransom by the SNP.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

Fair enough, but No 10 won't deny it, and just look who else has ended up as a peer. I wouldn't regard the story as closed.
    Sandpit said:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    8m
    Replying to
    @chrischirp

What on Earth are Christina and friends going to do once there’s no more pandemic, and a dozen journalists and TV producers no longer have them on speed dial?
    Go back to writing bad books that show their ignorance of any given subject and saying how much better life would be if we had only listened to them.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    edited November 2021
    rkrkrk said:

maaarsh said:

rkrkrk said:

Today's R number drops to 0.9 and 1.1 from 1.1 and 1.3

Sky News: https://news.sky.com/liveblog-webview/covid-sky-news-coronavirus-live-blog-uk-latest-r-number-12443026?inApp=true
  • Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

Yours truly is always MORE outraged by malefactions & malefactors from among my own party & partisan, than by those of the opposition.

Both for the reason cited by Carnyx, for making my side look bad . . . and deservedly so.

AND also because I want for us to be the ones truly standing for Truth, Justice and the American Way.

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

Yours truly is always MORE outraged by malefactions & malefactors from among my own party & partisan, than by those of the opposition.

Both for the reason cited by Carnyx, for making my side look bad . . . and deservedly so.

AND also because I want for us to be the ones truly standing for Truth, Justice and the American Way.

NP did point out the glaring fallacy in my comment - very nicely - but yes, I'm sure there is something in that!
  • BBC statement on Michael Vaughan says he "won't appear as a presenter" on 5 Live's Tuffers & Vaughan Show on Monday.
    "We remain in discussion with Michael and his team". #bbccricket

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/1456662633826897927
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited November 2021
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

While Boris (who has polling figures in Scottish subsamples that would make Hitler look liked and electable) is in charge of the UK, Scottish Independence is still a vague possibility.

It doesn't help that "Independence would have solved this" is used whenever anyone in the SNP has a difficult question to answer.
    I've got some data to use up-

https://youtu.be/miB2i2I76EE

This was literally the day after the referendum. It looks like, adimittedly, like the Yoons were being the dicks but it was SNP types who started the indyref2 campaign literally the next day last time round.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

Fair enough, but No 10 won't deny it, and just look who else has ended up as a peer. I wouldn't regard the story as closed.
    With the furore in the party it is the last thing Boris will do
    edited November 2021

BBC statement on Michael Vaughan says he "won't appear as a presenter" on 5 Live's Tuffers & Vaughan Show on Monday.

That's Michael's career cancelled - that 2010 tweet was probably justification enough...

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

"Arise Lord Paterson of Ellesmere".
    Lord Randox of (Kings) Lynn Country Foods?
  • Sandpit said:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    8m
    Replying to
    @chrischirp

She's got one thing right:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    15m
    Although two thirds of over 75s are boosted, almost all of them are elgibile. In general, only about 55% of those who got their 2nd dose 6+ mnths ago have been boosted. We need to match the 500K a day we were doing in winter and spring!

====

Action this day.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    Stocky said:

rkrkrk said:

maaarsh said:

rkrkrk said:

As you say, a big fall in new infections today - 22% lower than the same day last week.

We wait for the good figures of the last few days to feed through to lower hospitalisations.
    I'm tracking cases by sample date to the last completed date.

We're fairly consistent at around or below 5% reduction now, cases by sample date for 31/10 (the last day regarded as substantially complete) ÷ cases by sample date for 24/10 = 0.967

That would give an epidemiological Rt of a little above 0.98 (approximate this by splitting the difference between weekly change rate and 1).

No strong indicator of R moving much in the partial figures for the next couple of days.
    edited November 2021

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

It does depend on whom Mr Johnson is most frightened of, and he is usually much more frightened of the Brexiter MPs than anyone else (except perhaps Mrs J?). They are the ones who can depose him instantly. And they may feel that Mr Paterson deserves recompense and reward for his hard work [edited] as a MP. A peerage would do very nicely.
  • eek said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

While Boris (who has polling figures in Scottish subsamples that would make Hitler look liked and electable) is in charge of the UK, Scottish Independence is still a vague possibility.

It doesn't help that "Independence would have solved this" is used whenever anyone in the SNP has a difficult question to answer.
    Tbf having a fat, lying sack of jizz imposed on us as pm by other people would certainly be a problem solved by independence.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

It does depend on whom Mr Johnson is most frightened of, and he is usually much more frightened of the Brexiter MPs than anyone else (except perhaps Mrs J?). They are the ones who can depose him instantly. And they may feel that Mr Paterson deserves recompense and reward for his hard work [edited] as a MP. A peerage would do very nicely.
    It is not going to happen
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

Evelyn Waugh told Nancy Mitford that joke in a wartime letter. Wounded airman in hospital: I had this fokker right on my tail your majesty HMQ: and was he flying a Messerschmitt?

• Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    ·
    1h
    Nice drop in cases. 5 days past school return. Few more days and I'll be starting to believe.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited November 2021
    Just saw Greta on the BBC webpage telling us the world of literally burning. Meanwhile I think I have solved the climate crisis.

All those who think as she does should instantly reduce their carbon footprint to zero or close to it. No more electricity, driving, flying, cooking hot food, you name it.

Given the urgency that will surely be the majority of the world's population. Hence problem solved. The remainder can go about their normal lives knowing that the planet is safe.

Your welcome.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

I do hope so. He could become Lord Patterson, thereby replicating the Peter Carington/Lord Carrington anomaly of four decades ago and bringing comfort to those who can never quite get his name right.
  • Fairly confident that George Square won't be smashed up by these guys.

https://twitter.com/stuart_gibson/status/1456623954135822338?s=20
  • ajbajb Posts: 114
    The thing that is always said about how long he’ll be in Number 10 is that his salary as PM is nowhere what he was earning from journalism before he became leader and PM and it is said that he is under pressure financially. I have always thought that it will be this factor that could be decisive.

This assumes there are two possibilities:
    • Johnson quits to get a better salary
    • Johnson stays on and his salary stays the same
    But really, what's stopping him giving himself a raise? Do we really think he'd be too embarrassed?

Even if you think he wouldn't do it now for political reasons, that's no reason to think he would step down before an election, when he could be counting on the idea of increasing his pay after any win.

I am not much of a bettor, but I definitely wouldn't bet on Johnson lacking chutzspa or deferring to ethics.
  • Selebian said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

I think they need to appoint me Chief Executive and Executive Chairman of YCCC and I'll fix all the problems.

1. Claiming to be in the North, even though parts of it are closer to London than to the Scottish border
    3. Being referred to by its residents as God's own Country, which seems rather boastful and potentially blasphemous, especially if you've ever spent time in some of the ropier bits
    4. Geoffrey Boycott.

1. Anything north of Watford Gap is north. Plus Yorkshire folk say bath, not barth.
    2. Yorkshire tea is indeed produced in Yorkshire. The raw ingredients come from elsewhere. Next you'll be claiming that BP petrol isn't really British! :open_mouth:

[1] https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-yorkshire-is-not-gods-own-country-somerset-is-3146769
    On the basis that JRM is always wrong I will concede 3. On 1. you are basically denying the existence of the Midlands, where I think most of Yorkshire is located. On 2., I think the petrol refining process is a more substantive procedure than mixing up tea leaves from several countries and putting them in a perforated bag. Yorkshire tea is not from Yorkshire (it is from India, Sri Lanka and Kenya).

On 1. There was a lad at university (in the midlands) from Nottingham who denied he was northern. We didn't believe him, either. I have slightly more sympathy with his position now. Happy to re-set the dividing line to the Humber and disown South Yorkshire (happy, on current events, to lose West Yorkshire, too).
    On 2. Rename the product to 'Yorkshire Teabags'? At least until it turns out the bagging is done in High Wycombe...
    Traditionally the barrier between some form of North and South has been the Trent and the Fosse Way.

In the Roman period the Fosse was the boundary between the civilian and military zones.

Then in the Hundred Years War the Trent was used as a boundary for tax revenues. During the reign of Edward III all counties had to provide taxes for paying for the campaigns. Exemptions were made for the south coast counties which were already having to pay for the defence against raids and also any county North of the Trent as that was considered bandit country defending against those evil Scots.

During the Pilgrimage of Grace, the Trent again was considered the boundary between the loyal South and the rebellious North
    edited November 2021

eek said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

Tbf having a fat, lying sack of jizz imposed on us as pm by other people would certainly be a problem solved by independence.
    Suck it up SNP Type

Bozo only has to write one letter - where as you've got another decade to pollute this place with your wittering.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Selebian said:

isam said:

Selebian said:

Family pornography? Is he talking about stepmom porn?

The campaign to make it illegal to photograph breastfeeding without consent met an obstacle in the Lords when Lord Wolfson of Tredegar argued it could spoil family pornography. The minister said it would be rough on a man who photographed his wife on the beach “for his own sexual gratification” and “unintentionally” included a woman he didn’t know with her breast out suckling. Wolfson’s holiday snaps must be fascinating.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-times-diary-dean-chases-his-flock-away-w0kb9jdwj

That's a really bizarre (way of making the) argument. There is a discussion about photos in all kinds of settings that happen to include a breastfeeding woman in the background - e.g. family pic in a cafe or whatever and someone is breastfeeding on the next table and how you would make such a law workable given that - but it seems to me that this is a bit of a niche angle.

I'm going to regret asking this, I think, but is intentionally taking photos of random women breastfeeding a thing? Strikes me there are far easier ways of accessing pictures of a (more exposed) bosom, even buying the Sun, for example (does page 3 still exist?).
    I took dozens exactly a fortnight ago - without asking! #edgy
    Well, 'family porn' exception :wink:

I'd missed the news, if announced - but that means you are a father then? Congratulations if so. Hope all went smoothly.
    Thanks 😊
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

Evelyn Waugh told Nancy Mitford that joke in a wartime letter. Wounded airman in hospital: I had this fokker right on my tail your majesty HMQ: and was he flying a Messerschmitt?
    There are even some credulous people who actually believe that Douglas Bader told this tale to a class room of schoolgirls.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

It was no more imposed on you than it is for any person who voted for a losing party in any election.
    There was a Bernard Manning joke on Parkinson one time. I wouldn't dare repeat it but it is topical given the goings on of YCC. He told it against himself and those who accused him of being racist and to show that comedy is inviolate. A bit like Dave Chappelle now.

And everyone then laughed uproariously. Including some as I remember it non-white critics of his being interviewed at the same time.

Fairly confident that George Square won't be smashed up by these guys.

Note the total acceptance that Divvie will be an #indyref3 type.

How long does PB have to put up with his garbage?
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    glw said:

It was no more imposed on you than it is for any person who voted for a losing party in any election.
    (the majority)
    TOPPING said:

Just saw Greta on the BBC webpage telling us the world of literally burning. I think I have solved the climate crisis.

All those who think as she does should instantly reduce their carbon footprint to zero or close to it. No more electricity, driving, flying, cooking hot food, you name it.

Given the urgency that will surely be the majority of the world's population. Hence problem solved. The remainder can go about their normal lives knowing that the planet is safe.

Your welcome.

I think she's rather good. She's quite careful as to what she says. Her supporters are the problem.

edited November 2021

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

4. Geoffrey Boycott.

Traditionally the barrier between some form of North and South has been the Trent and the Fosse Way.

In the Roman period the Fosse was the boundary between the civilian and military zones.

Then in the Hundred Years War the Trent was used as a boundary for tax revenues. During the reign of Edward III all counties had to provide taxes for paying for the campaigns. Exemptions were made for the south coast counties which were already having to pay for the defence against raids and also any county North of the Trent as that was considered bandit country defending against those evil Scots.

During the Pilgrimage of Grace, the Trent again was considered the boundary between the loyal South and the rebellious North
    If the definition of North is rebellious - remember that North of the Tees Prince Bishops had to be appointed to keep the locals in line.

Which means the Midlands could start/stop as far North as the Tees.

Personally though - I would classify North and West Yorkshire as North and slightly more um and err before putting South Yorkshire in the North.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    MattW said:

Jesus.. didn't realise it was (allegedly) this bad

Adil Ray OBE
    @adilray
    Allegations that a Muslim prayer mat was used by Yorkshire cricket players to clean up the mess from having sex with a woman on her period and players p**sed on an Asian players head are vile. We need answers & action now. I fear a DCMS review won’t cut it. This is much bigger.
    9:56 AM · Nov 5, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
    https://twitter.com/adilray/status/1456561106147758084

If that's true then yes, it is much bigger.
    I wanted to give Michael Vaughan the benefit of the doubt, but the news today that another player head him say the "Too many" quote, and this tweet mentioned in that thread put paid to that.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    TOPPING said:

Just saw Greta on the BBC webpage telling us the world of literally burning. Meanwhile I think I have solved the climate crisis.

Your welcome.

She is a crank, and neatly illustrates the old maxim that perfect is the enemy of good.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

maaarsh said:

Sir Keir last week

“Sir Keir Starmer today called for No10 to reintroduce compulsory face masks and WFH guidance in response to rising Covid cases amid growing calls for ministers to resort to Plan B — despite Government modelling suggesting the measures are unnecessary.”
  • ajb said:

The thing that is always said about how long he’ll be in Number 10 is that his salary as PM is nowhere what he was earning from journalism before he became leader and PM and it is said that he is under pressure financially. I have always thought that it will be this factor that could be decisive.

But really, what's stopping him giving himself a raise? Do we really think he'd be too embarrassed?

Even if you think he wouldn't do it now for political reasons, that's no reason to think he would step down before an election, when he could be counting on the idea of increasing his pay after any win.

I am not much of a bettor, but I definitely wouldn't bet on Johnson lacking chutzspa or deferring to ethics.
    Funnel the grift through the missus? Carrie to be paid £1 million a year as a premium travel writer?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Just saw Greta on the BBC webpage telling us the world of literally burning. I think I have solved the climate crisis.

Your welcome.

I think she's rather good. She's quite careful as to what she says. Her supporters are the problem.

Have you seen the Extinction Rebellion founder's "Advice to Young People as they face Annihilation"?

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1455644914327379978

• Sandpit said:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    8m
    Replying to
    @chrischirp

She's got one thing right:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    15m
    Although two thirds of over 75s are boosted, almost all of them are elgibile. In general, only about 55% of those who got their 2nd dose 6+ mnths ago have been boosted. We need to match the 500K a day we were doing in winter and spring!

====

Action this day.
    We seem to be doing 350k - 400k per day now.

Considering that's with us living without any restrictions, that's pretty decent in my eyes.

Already one in six over 12s are triple-vaccinated.
    JBriskin3 said:

FWIW I don't think theuniondivvie is right. There won't be a third. I think the independence side will win the second one.
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

She is a crank, and neatly illustrates the old maxim that perfect is the enemy of good.
    But thinking it through, on this early Friday evening/late afternoon. If everyone who really, really cared about climate change were to amend their behaviour dramatically then that would be problem solved.

A bit like if people only stopped buying the Daily Mail and/or started buying the Socialist Worker those newspapers would experience a dramatic change of fortune.

ajb said:

Funnel the grift through the missus? Carrie to be paid £1 million a year as a premium travel writer?
    SeanT would love that sort of money. From memory his travel writing pays little to nothing in return for him spending a week in freebie 5 star luxury...
    edited November 2021

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

There's only been one!
    The threat has been there since then, and remember Berwick where I lived in the early fifties has changed hands 13 times
    You've changed your mind then? Last time I posted my opinion that the best way forward was to have the vote rather than frustrate it, you were a big 'yay' to that. I remember distinctly since I thought, "Oh, Big G agrees with me on this, excellent."
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    isam said:

maaarsh said:

Sir Keir last week

“Sir Keir Starmer today called for No10 to reintroduce compulsory face masks and WFH guidance in response to rising Covid cases amid growing calls for ministers to resort to Plan B — despite Government modelling suggesting the measures are unnecessary.”
    The Labour leadership's enthusiasm for stapling cloth gags to people's faces forever yet again reminds us why there is as much toleration for Boris Johnson as still remains. You only have to look at the God-awful alternative.

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

Have you seen the Extinction Rebellion founder's "Advice to Young People as they face Annihilation"?

I hadn't. It's clearly stupid. I've no idea whether Greta is part of that or otherwise. She's clearly become a figurehead for all sorts of daft things. What she says though I'll listen to.
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

FWIW I don't think theuniondivvie is right. There won't be a third. I think the independence side will win the second one.
    If SNP Types could just accept the result of the last referendum - that might allow for a potential #indyref2 at some point in the future.

As it is all PBers will just have to cope with constant SNP Type wittering pretty much 24/7.
    TOPPING said:

There was a Bernard Manning joke on Parkinson one time. I wouldn't dare repeat it but it is topical given the goings on of YCC. He told it against himself and those who accused him of being racist and to show that comedy is inviolate. A bit like Dave Chappelle now.

And everyone then laughed uproariously. Including some as I remember it non-white critics of his being interviewed at the same time.

I agree that the boundaries of what's acceptable have shifted a lot, But it's actually hard to know what to do if someone with you on TV cracks a joke that seems offensive and everyone round you laughs uproariously. You can object, which sounds prissy. You can be stony-faced, which looks robotic. You can smile puzzledly (my usual technique), which looks dim-witted. Or you can laugh heartily and be thought a good sport. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the last reaction is genuine.
  • TOPPING said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

But thinking it through, on this early Friday evening/late afternoon. If everyone who really, really cared about climate change were to amend their behaviour dramatically then that would be problem solved.

A bit like if people only stopped buying the Daily Mail and/or started buying the Socialist Worker those newspapers would experience a dramatic change of fortune.
    The number of people who really, really care about climate change drops as soon as they have to change their lifestyle or pay up.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

Video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor. Ovid (I think)

I just wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames - Jim Morrison
    JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

If SNP Types could just accept the result of the last referendum - that might allow for a potential #indyref2 at some point in the future.

As it is all PBers will just have to cope with constant SNP Type wittering pretty much 24/7.
    PB is open to wittering from SNP Types just as it is to wittering from Conservative Types, Labour Types, Lib Dem Types, Green Types, Brexit Party or whatever the fuck they're called these days Types, and even People Who Don't Belong In A Type Types.

I don't know which Type you are, but please continue to post your Type's witterings too.
    TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

No more apostrophes, even?

TOPPING said:

I agree that the boundaries of what's acceptable have shifted a lot, But it's actually hard to know what to do if someone with you on TV cracks a joke that seems offensive and everyone round you laughs uproariously. You can object, which sounds prissy. You can be stony-faced, which looks robotic. You can smile puzzledly (my usual technique), which looks dim-witted. Or you can laugh heartily and be thought a good sport. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the last reaction is genuine.
    It's very tough being on tv...

(Sorry NP :))

TOPPING said:

As I said the joke is now beyond the pale but it appeared genuinely "funny". Timing was 3/4 of it of course.

TOPPING said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

The number of people who really, really care about climate change drops as soon as they have to change their lifestyle or pay up.
    Say it ain't so.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

SKS is next PM if that happens. Paterson should be chased from the face of the Earth.
    I am sure Owen Paterson will be well looked after, no matter what.

MPs who fall-- whether Tory or not -- always land with their bums in the butter.
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

Video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor. Ovid (I think)

I just wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames - Jim Morrison
    But it's win win. There is evidently a large number of people for whom the situation is so desperate that any measure is worthwhile.

The rest can take a justified and welcome free rider on their actions. Because for the former group of people the priority is to save the world.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

I do hope so. He could become Lord Patterson, thereby replicating the Peter Carington/Lord Carrington anomaly of four decades ago and bringing comfort to those who can never quite get his name right.
    Lord Dingleberry!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Oh I don't know. That gang of guys in the yellow vests look like they are tooled up for trouble.

TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

No more apostrophes, even?
    I have just solved the climate crisis. Of course there will be casualties.

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

MPs who fall-- whether Tory or not -- always land with their bums in the butter.
    It's those of us who have to eat the butter I worry about.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As I said the joke is now beyond the pale but it appeared genuinely "funny". Timing was 3/4 of it of course.
    Timing and confidence are key to telling jokes well.

But also there's an issue that many comedians love to push the boundaries of what is acceptable, and for some issues (see Carlin) what's acceptable moves so that what was borderline in the past can be fairly tame in the future.

But sometimes (see Manning) what's acceptable moves so that what was borderline in the past can be beyond the pale in the future.
    algarkirk said:

JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah.
    Lab SNP.
    CON SNP
    LAB CON.

If the Union side were to win again the next day you'd have indyref3 trending on twitter.
    Boris has a good political reason not to hold Ref2 - if he loses it it is bad for the union and for Boris, but if he wins it it is good for Labour, and therefore bad for the Tories, because the SNP will be for a few years a harmless centre left party that can ally with Labour against the Tories. Which would make voting Labour much easier for unionists who want a stable government. Ref2 is lose/lose for Boris.
    A good point. And I'm pleased to see you agree with me that another No in 23 would force the SNP to backburner the issue. That all this talk of "but if we give in they'll be demanding one every Thursday!" is tosh.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,067

TOPPING said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

Which is why we are not going to stop it. So 3 billion climate refugees by 2070...

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Timing and confidence are key to telling jokes well.

But also there's an issue that many comedians love to push the boundaries of what is acceptable, and for some issues (see Carlin) what's acceptable moves so that what was borderline in the past can be fairly tame in the future.

But sometimes (see Manning) what's acceptable moves so that what was borderline in the past can be beyond the pale in the future.
    Yes absolutely. It begs the question of what is funny. I want to think that if the joke was aimed at me then I would laugh but I can't be at all sure.
    edited November 2021

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

POOPWAS

I don't think he will. Simply because he has managed to be seen to put himself ahead of the interests of the party. The Tory party will lose my financial support if Paterson ever troubles us again.

PS My support is very small beer financially
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

PB is open to wittering from SNP Types just as it is to wittering from Conservative Types, Labour Types, Lib Dem Types, Green Types, Brexit Party or whatever the fuck they're called these days Types, and even People Who Don't Belong In A Type Types.

I don't know which Type you are, but please continue to post your Type's witterings too.
    I'm a Yoon Type and am very much grateful that I'm allowed to witter by Team OGH.

Seems only fair given the abundance of SNP Types here, Balance and all that.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

BBC statement on Michael Vaughan says he "won't appear as a presenter" on 5 Live's Tuffers & Vaughan Show on Monday.

That's Michael's career cancelled - that 2010 tweet was probably justification enough...
    I met Michael Vaughan once when he was dining with Michael Atherton at Groucho's. A good enough reason to ban him from TV I know but he seemed very pleasant.

Irrespective of this I'm not at all comfortable with him being pilloried for his alleged comment to three players of Pakistani origin. Cricket is a game of banter. None more so than between the Australians the West Indians the South Africans the Indians and the Pakistanis. The competition between these cricketing nations is both fierce and friendly as any spectator at a test match will attest.

I have no idea about the behaviour of Yorkshire cricket Club which I can easily believe the worst of. They don't even like women in their pavilion! But the story with Micheal Vaughan is different. If they were playing a match and he jokingly said there are too many Geordies or too many Scousers would that also be worthy of a lifetime of shame?

• Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Your welcome.

Like there will be any cigarettes.
This discussion has been closed.