Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It is still odds-on that BoJo will survive as PM till 2024 or later – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Fucking hell, next he'll admit to not knowing 'Paki' is an offensive term.

Yorkshire head coach Andrew Gale is being investigated by bosses over anti-Semitic social media messages, it has emerged amid the club's deepening racism crisis.

In a now deleted post on Twitter from November 2010, the then club captain told Paul Dews, who was head of media at Leeds United Football Club at the time, to "Button it y--!"

Gale told the Jewish News website, which first reported the tweet, that he was “completely unaware” of the offensive nature of the term at the time he sent the message.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/05/yorkshire-cricket-racism-storm-chairman-quits-hits-ecb-latest/

Good grief.

I am starting to think Yorkshire CCC won't survive this.
    I think they need to appoint me Chief Executive and Executive Chairman of YCCC and I'll fix all the problems.

A strong Yorkshire means a strong England.
    I have always found Yorkshire kind of annoying, for a few reasons:

1. Claiming to be in the North, even though parts of it are closer to London than to the Scottish border
    2. Yorkshire Tea, which self-evidently isn't produced in Yorkshire
    3. Being referred to by its residents as God's own Country, which seems rather boastful and potentially blasphemous, especially if you've ever spent time in some of the ropier bits
    4. Geoffrey Boycott.
    Boycott, I'll concede. You can have YCCC too.

As a southerner naturalised in Yorkshire I answer the others as follows:
    1. Anything north of Watford Gap is north. Plus Yorkshire folk say bath, not barth.
    2. Yorkshire tea is indeed produced in Yorkshire. The raw ingredients come from elsewhere. Next you'll be claiming that BP petrol isn't really British! :open_mouth:
    3. God's Own Country? Well Jacob Rees-Mogg says it isn't.[1] Case closed?

[1] https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-yorkshire-is-not-gods-own-country-somerset-is-3146769
    On the basis that JRM is always wrong I will concede 3. On 1. you are basically denying the existence of the Midlands, where I think most of Yorkshire is located. On 2., I think the petrol refining process is a more substantive procedure than mixing up tea leaves from several countries and putting them in a perforated bag. Yorkshire tea is not from Yorkshire (it is from India, Sri Lanka and Kenya).
    Ah, compromise :smile: I'm happy to negotiate.

On 1. There was a lad at university (in the midlands) from Nottingham who denied he was northern. We didn't believe him, either. I have slightly more sympathy with his position now. Happy to re-set the dividing line to the Humber and disown South Yorkshire (happy, on current events, to lose West Yorkshire, too).
    On 2. Rename the product to 'Yorkshire Teabags'? At least until it turns out the bagging is done in High Wycombe...
    Yorkshire is North of the Humber. Case closed
    So really, it's just southern Northumbria?
    Yes.

Broadly speaking the South is Wessex plus bits of Mercia, East Anglia is East Anglia, the North is Northumbria and the Midlands the rest of Mercia
    Sussex and Essex are definitely not Wessex, nor was Middlesex when it existed, and nor is Kent for that matter. The south is much more than Wessex plus bits of Mercia.
    And where does the NW fall? It wasn't Northumbria nor Mercia.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,117
    maaarsh said:

Leon said:

maaarsh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The American Left is FUCKED, part 683,822

"Should social justice be part of math class?

"Proposed changes to California’s math guidelines would de-emphasize calculus, reject the idea of naturally gifted children and build a connection to social justice. Critics say the framework would inject “woke politics” into the subject...."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/04/us/california-math-curriculum-guidelines.html?campaign_id=190&emc=edit_ufn_20211105&instance_id=44769&nl=updates-from-the-newsroom&regi_id=106571559&segment_id=73706&te=1&user_id=d68bcc26626dde3f2cdef7375bdd3e94

They are determined to double down. The Democrats will be swept aside in 2022, 2024, and onwards. This is political suicide

Can you measure social justice without calculus?
    It's quite incredible. They just lost Virginia because of this bullshit. Education was THE issue. But far from sobering up, the Wokesters are going further

The Republicans will use this again and again. "The Democrats want to destroy education because they are Woke morons".

Who would vote for this crap? The Republicans are being gifted a decade of elections. Scarily, this might even be enough to see Trump back in the White House
    They'll still win for all practical purposes. This country keeps voting for the right wing option and brexit, but we're going to get all this shit forced down our throats regardless.
    No they won't. In the end Americans will vote for Trump, or his equivalent, to get rid of this madness

Likewise Brits
    Farage or equivalent is going to win here? Because the Tories keep winning and keep retreating on this stuff. What is crazy today is unopposable in 2 years, and 2 years after that the Tories try to claim they were at the vanguard of remaking society with it.
    Britain is nowhere near as bad as America for most of this stuff - tho I agree we are heading down the same road. The one area we are even crazier is the Trans-TERF wars but they are just indecipherable, and largely internecine on the Left

If Britain gets as bad as America then yes, I reckon we would see British Trumps arising, and then winning. Boris is not Trump because he doesn't have to be. Yet

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    edited November 2021
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Since when did Americans settle on the Noughties being called "the Aughts"?

Dunno. But they have. I've seen it in numerous places recently. It will migrate here

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epx47m/photographer-alain-levitt-nyc-nostalgia?utm_source=VICE_Twitter&utm_medium=social+

When I was a kid, referring to say 1906 as "aught six" was sort of a jokey way of sounding old-timey. Referencing that back in THAT day lots of Americans (esp. rural then the majority) said it just that way.

So when the '00s of the Third Millennium rolled around, we revived "the Aughts"

Further note that the word "nought" for zero is VERY rare this side of the Atlantic (or Pacific) in US anyway.
    Interesting

I read a lot of American media, tho, and this has only suddenly appeared in the last year or so. Odd
    It was used some between 2001-09. More awkward than say "teens" for '10-'19 (even though 10, 11 & 12 are NOT teen years.)

For US, talking about "Aughts" is pretty much same thing as UKers saying "Naughts" esp. as we don't say the n-word (in this context) hardly at all.

As for starting to pick it up this year, am guessing it takes maybe a decade to pass before we start thinking much about a decade AS a decade?
    The first reference I can find is the Washington Post from 2011, so it has been around a long time. But then it went unused for years, and resurfaced more recently, surely for the reasons you say

It is a weird anomaly of the English language that we can't find shorthand for the first two decades in a century. Aughts and Noughties are both imperfect, one awkward one arch. And "teenies" is just wrong
    For the twentieth century the first decade coincided with the reign of Edward VII, so we used Edwardian. The second decade had WWI in the middle, so 1913 and 1919 were further apart in any way you can think of apart from time than 1893 and 1913.

The pandemic may end up being a similar punctuation mark in history, but it fell at the beginning of a decade.
    Was it actually called Edwardian at the time, though?
    Do we ever refer to current years as the late Elizibethean period?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Step back for a moment and consider that this is really as fast as you could possibly expect a new, targeted small-molecule drug to ever be developed. Pfizer has a history in the antiviral protease world, so they had the expertise (and the screening collection!) to get a strong start. But here we are, less than two years after the emergence of this pathogen, with a bespoke drug against it. That's the speed record, and I think that it will be very, very hard to break - and I hope that we never have to try! It's a remarkable accomplishment.

https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/pfizer-s-good-news-world-s-good-news

Shitty as the last couple of years have been, in very many ways we have had an incredibly lucky escape.

We're about 2 years from the damn thing being identified, and over 7 billion doses of vaccine have been given. Not perfectly, but the scientists have been in the right place at the right time. I hate to think what would have happened had C-19 been C-09, let alone C-89.

There's an awkward echo of the header here. We've been musing on BoJo's destiny and how it links to his character. BoJo's triumphs and disasters both come from the same place- he is willing to push his luck further because he tends to get away with it. A willingness to push his luck further helps him win. And when he doesn't, he somehow fails upwards. That's why BoJo-sceptics can say that this will all end in tears, we just don't know when. (Right now, it could be ten years, it could be ten days.)

C-19 ought to be a huge warning shot for us all. Don't do stuff that favours the creation of new pathogens. If things go wrong don't cover them up. Don't run your nation with zero resilience for disasters. Do stay healthy, so your body can deal with sickness.

(If you haven't been reading Dr Phil Hammond's Private Eye columns on Covid, you're missing a trick. He was at Girton College Cambridge so he's bound to be a good egg.)

Unfortunately, some people are determined to take the lesson that the boffins will always get us out of the soup. And scientists will always do their best, because it's fun and satisfying to save the world. But you can't count on it.
    According to a Parliamentary briefing published this year, 28% of adults in England are obese and a further 36% are overweight. A large and increasing minority of the population is also old, of course. The comparable figures for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will be at least as bad and probably a little worse. This is the fattest nation in Western Europe.

Most of the British population are clapped out wrecks. This, not woeful inefficiency or wastefulness, is the primary reason why the NHS is a clapped out wreck, despite also being a bottomless money pit.

Suggestion: weigh all adults annually (ideally just after Christmas, to maximise revenue) and punish the fat ones with huge NHS taxes. The medical problems caused by obesity, especially in older people who end up having fewer years of healthy life expectancy and more complex needs because they let themselves go, can be paid for by those who cause them.
  • Options

Leon said:

Since when did Americans settle on the Noughties being called "the Aughts"?

Dunno. But they have. I've seen it in numerous places recently. It will migrate here

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epx47m/photographer-alain-levitt-nyc-nostalgia?utm_source=VICE_Twitter&utm_medium=social+

In the early 1800s people used a French Revolution meme and called eg 1804 "the year 4". I quite like that.
    Not really. The revolutionary calendar started in 1792, so 1793 (iirc) was year 1. And year 4 was 1976.
    The 1800s usage was that 1801 was 'the year 1', etc. I suggest read up on your Patrick O'Brian to refresh your memory
    And before anyone else mentions it, yes I mistyped 1796.
    Well yes, I wasn't suggesting people were actually using the year of the revolutionary calendar, just that calling 1804 "the year 4" was a reflection of that usage.
    No, it wasn't: calling 1804 the year 4 was a convenient contraction of the full year, but also a way of denying that 1796 was the year 4. The use of 'the year x' for 180x was particularly pronounced in the Royal Navy, who were decidedly not responsive to the usages of Napoleonic France: my late friend Colin White, for many years curator of the Royal Naval Museum in Portsmouth Dockyard, had a specific talk he used to give about this (not as funny as his Nelson's Last Dinner one, but still)
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    dixiedean said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Yorkshire head coach Andrew Gale is being investigated by bosses over anti-Semitic social media messages, it has emerged amid the club's deepening racism crisis.

In a now deleted post on Twitter from November 2010, the then club captain told Paul Dews, who was head of media at Leeds United Football Club at the time, to "Button it y--!"

Gale told the Jewish News website, which first reported the tweet, that he was “completely unaware” of the offensive nature of the term at the time he sent the message.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/05/yorkshire-cricket-racism-storm-chairman-quits-hits-ecb-latest/

Good grief.

I think they need to appoint me Chief Executive and Executive Chairman of YCCC and I'll fix all the problems.

1. Claiming to be in the North, even though parts of it are closer to London than to the Scottish border
    3. Being referred to by its residents as God's own Country, which seems rather boastful and potentially blasphemous, especially if you've ever spent time in some of the ropier bits
    4. Geoffrey Boycott.

1. Anything north of Watford Gap is north. Plus Yorkshire folk say bath, not barth.
    2. Yorkshire tea is indeed produced in Yorkshire. The raw ingredients come from elsewhere. Next you'll be claiming that BP petrol isn't really British! :open_mouth:

[1] https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-yorkshire-is-not-gods-own-country-somerset-is-3146769
    On the basis that JRM is always wrong I will concede 3. On 1. you are basically denying the existence of the Midlands, where I think most of Yorkshire is located. On 2., I think the petrol refining process is a more substantive procedure than mixing up tea leaves from several countries and putting them in a perforated bag. Yorkshire tea is not from Yorkshire (it is from India, Sri Lanka and Kenya).

On 1. There was a lad at university (in the midlands) from Nottingham who denied he was northern. We didn't believe him, either. I have slightly more sympathy with his position now. Happy to re-set the dividing line to the Humber and disown South Yorkshire (happy, on current events, to lose West Yorkshire, too).
    On 2. Rename the product to 'Yorkshire Teabags'? At least until it turns out the bagging is done in High Wycombe...
    Yes.

Broadly speaking the South is Wessex plus bits of Mercia, East Anglia is East Anglia, the North is Northumbria and the Midlands the rest of Mercia
    Sussex and Essex are definitely not Wessex, nor was Middlesex when it existed, and nor is Kent for that matter. The south is much more than Wessex plus bits of Mercia.
    And where does the NW fall? It wasn't Northumbria nor Mercia.
    Strathclyde, some of it. Northumbria the rest.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_xP said:

Opposition parties seek inquiry into Johnson’s Spanish holiday https://www.ft.com/content/74ab3606-0f70-4989-a4f1-2f4c960104fe

And that’s exactly the problem

There is nothing for an inquiry to consider. He has disclosed the holiday.

There is possibly a question - how do you put a price on a stay in a private house

But if the opposition uses the process to score political points it undermines the process
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Vaccination news: got a message telling me I could book my booster shot today. Managed to get a slot tomorrow, though they were fairly heavily booked up.

Also we had nurses in school today finishing off vaccinating Y7-11: all who want one have now (I think) been vaccinated (one dose only, so far at least).

Just cruise, what proportion of the Y7-11s at your school had the Jab?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,662
    Leon said:

maaarsh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"Proposed changes to California’s math guidelines would de-emphasize calculus, reject the idea of naturally gifted children and build a connection to social justice. Critics say the framework would inject “woke politics” into the subject...."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/04/us/california-math-curriculum-guidelines.html?campaign_id=190&emc=edit_ufn_20211105&instance_id=44769&nl=updates-from-the-newsroom&regi_id=106571559&segment_id=73706&te=1&user_id=d68bcc26626dde3f2cdef7375bdd3e94

They are determined to double down. The Democrats will be swept aside in 2022, 2024, and onwards. This is political suicide

It's quite incredible. They just lost Virginia because of this bullshit. Education was THE issue. But far from sobering up, the Wokesters are going further

The Republicans will use this again and again. "The Democrats want to destroy education because they are Woke morons".

Who would vote for this crap? The Republicans are being gifted a decade of elections. Scarily, this might even be enough to see Trump back in the White House
    They'll still win for all practical purposes. This country keeps voting for the right wing option and brexit, but we're going to get all this shit forced down our throats regardless.
    No they won't. In the end Americans will vote for Trump, or his equivalent, to get rid of this madness

Likewise Brits
    You're like Cnut trying to stop the tide... and the tide of history is against you.

I appreciate it's all gone too far for your personal preference but it's not going away. Things that seemed radical 40 years ago (e.g. gay marriage) are now largely (rightly) accepted as non-issues.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,117

Leon said:

maaarsh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Likewise Brits
    You're like Cnut trying to stop the tide... and the tide of history is against you.

I appreciate it's all gone too far for your personal preference but it's not going away. Things that seemed radical 40 years ago (e.g. gay marriage) are now largely (rightly) accepted as non-issues.
    Jesus Christ, this is so far beyond gay marriage. You don't even begin to understand what is happening. It is well meaning low watt lefties like you that are, in part, allowing this to happen. You dimly perceive it as "good" if a bit "bonkers", and thus it marches on. But not forever. Eventually the voters rebel
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Leon said:

maaarsh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Likewise Brits

The older generation ranting in the wind against the mores of the next, yet time will ensure that however strong they shout, demographics mean they are doomed and so society moves onwards.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,662
    The Writing's On The Wall for this thread.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Step back for a moment and consider that this is really as fast as you could possibly expect a new, targeted small-molecule drug to ever be developed. Pfizer has a history in the antiviral protease world, so they had the expertise (and the screening collection!) to get a strong start. But here we are, less than two years after the emergence of this pathogen, with a bespoke drug against it. That's the speed record, and I think that it will be very, very hard to break - and I hope that we never have to try! It's a remarkable accomplishment.

https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/pfizer-s-good-news-world-s-good-news

Shitty as the last couple of years have been, in very many ways we have had an incredibly lucky escape.

We're about 2 years from the damn thing being identified, and over 7 billion doses of vaccine have been given. Not perfectly, but the scientists have been in the right place at the right time. I hate to think what would have happened had C-19 been C-09, let alone C-89.

There's an awkward echo of the header here. We've been musing on BoJo's destiny and how it links to his character. BoJo's triumphs and disasters both come from the same place- he is willing to push his luck further because he tends to get away with it. A willingness to push his luck further helps him win. And when he doesn't, he somehow fails upwards. That's why BoJo-sceptics can say that this will all end in tears, we just don't know when. (Right now, it could be ten years, it could be ten days.)

C-19 ought to be a huge warning shot for us all. Don't do stuff that favours the creation of new pathogens. If things go wrong don't cover them up. Don't run your nation with zero resilience for disasters. Do stay healthy, so your body can deal with sickness.

(If you haven't been reading Dr Phil Hammond's Private Eye columns on Covid, you're missing a trick. He was at Girton College Cambridge so he's bound to be a good egg.)

Unfortunately, some people are determined to take the lesson that the boffins will always get us out of the soup. And scientists will always do their best, because it's fun and satisfying to save the world. But you can't count on it.
    Indeed; there were people on here confidently predicting millions of British dead and billions of cases worldwide both during 2020
    Had the UK gone through with the "we'll all catch it in a semi-controlled way over Summer 2020 and mourn the 1% who will die" plan (c'mon, it was the plan, at least for a while), that would have been about half a million deaths. Assuming that the NHS hadn't collapsed as a result.

I can imagine a situation where it would have come to something like that, and when this is over there's a good sci-fi dystopia for someone to write.

As a species, we got lucky, and we need to learn the right lessons from this.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

At the Corbynista family home today, unsurprisingly a lot of talk about Boris being awful ("he was drunk at COP26"), and agreement with Greta, but surprisingly no comment on the Paterson business at all, even after watching it reported on the news. Curious what sticks with people.

I'm not sure the Paterson business wasn't done, dusted, and then reverse-ferreted too quickly for the uninterested to follow. Earlier scandals like expenses dragged on for weeks. Maybe people will catch up especially if there is more in the Sundays.
    Oh no. Paterson will be remembered for a long time. He's managed to do more damage to the party he ostensibly represents than the opposition have done in years. If he finishes up in some ghastly mine it'll be too good for him.
    I have sympathy for Paterson's loss and his family's turmoil, but he is so arrogant and seeking an emotional plus over the sad suicide of his wife is wholly unacceptable and his loss to public life will not be missed

I expect there will be a price to pay in the polls, but his swift resignation and the appalling story of Yorkshire CC which has dominated today's media headlines, with worse to come no doubt, does move the news agenda on and may mitigate some of the damage

We will have to see but Boris, Moore, Chief Whip, JRM and Leadsom should all hang their heads in shame at this unedifying miscalculation
    A veteran Labour colleague called this evening to urge us (locally) to lay off Paterson - "whatever he's done, he's clearly very unhappy, and should be allowed to sort out his life in peace". I think that may be a fairly common attitude. The episode has clearly damaged the Government's reputation for both probity and competence, but I think that unless the Sunday papers reveal anything new, the caravan will roll on.

What this does do is set the Government up for real trouble if it turns out that wallpapergate was actually unlawful. I don't think injured innocence will be accepted as a credible defence at this point.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Opposition parties seek inquiry into Johnson’s Spanish holiday https://www.ft.com/content/74ab3606-0f70-4989-a4f1-2f4c960104fe

And that’s exactly the problem

There is nothing for an inquiry to consider. He has disclosed the holiday.

There is possibly a question - how do you put a price on a stay in a private house

But if the opposition uses the process to score political points it undermines the process
    Disingenuous: he has disclosed it on the ministerial register, but not on the MPs register. The latter requires disclosing the cost.
    How do you cost a stay in a private villa? You find the cost of a comparable rentable property. It's not difficult, it's been part of the prices for a long time.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,509
    edited November 2021

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

4. Geoffrey Boycott.

Yes.

This sounds like Schleswig-Holstein debated between a person from Alsace and one from Lorraine.

I'm staying oot.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

4. Geoffrey Boycott.

Yes.

I was thinking Alfred’s kingdom of Wessex

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    stodge said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59179219

I thought this a very fair and reasonable assessment of our current situation with the coronavirus. The case numbers are falling and let's hope it continues but the priority is and remains vaccination and the rising emphasis on getting the booster vaccination to vulnerable older people is to be welcomed.

The question is the extent to which individually and collectively we can and should be adhering to the 6-month between vaccinations guideline. There are clearly some who have had a booster vaccination in advance of the 6 month period - fair enough. I presume the risk in waiting is one's immunity declines with time.

Given the encouraging results of offering Pfizer to those who have had two previous Astrazeneca vaccinations, I wonder if we will be able to go that bit further again before vaccination four.

The second part of this is the undercurrent of criticism of the media coverage and how that feeds people's perceptions (that word, especially for @Anabobazina's benefit). Should the fall in cases be being screamed from the rooftops - the argument is rises in cases are so why shouldn't falls and that's a hard one to gainsay in all honesty.

Like those who complain the media is always critical of the Government and the Prime Minister, the obvious response is would you prefer a media which is unstintingly supportive of the Government and never broadcasts any criticism - there's plenty of countries where that is the case? Perhaps the price of the privilege of office is to suffer the brickbats.

Completely wrong, yet again, as this is not about complaining about the media criticising the government. It’s the wilful omission, or downright contradiction, of the DATA that is feeding the perception you are so obsessed with. It’s misinformation, pure and simple. That you seek to airily downplay it is beyond annoying.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Vaccination news: got a message telling me I could book my booster shot today. Managed to get a slot tomorrow, though they were fairly heavily booked up.

Also we had nurses in school today finishing off vaccinating Y7-11: all who want one have now (I think) been vaccinated (one dose only, so far at least).

Just cruise, what proportion of the Y7-11s at your school had the Jab?
    I”d guess 90%+, but it is just a guess.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Hear the Lib Dems are starting their by election campaign over in North Shropshite this weekend!
This discussion has been closed.