Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer’s successor looks set to be one of these three – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

The last budget was popular on day one.

YouGov is the start. In a few weeks it will be unpopular and Tories will pretend they never agreed with it

In a few weeks no one will be talking about it.
    Are you saying the whole point of the Budget was just to achieve a temporary increase in the Conservative Party's poll rating?

Silly me - I thought it was meant to be a significant speech outlining the economic direction of the country.
    No, just that for the vast majority of people it will not be on their radar in several weeks. Let’s see if it’s still headline news at the start of December.
    Doesn’t the reduced UC taper come in by 1st December? An awful lot of people will see more cash in their pay packets before Christmas, thanks to Santa Sunak.
    Not compared to their September/October incomes.
    The cut in UC took effect in October so it will go up compared to their November income.
    But they'll compare it to the income of the previous 18 out 19 months rather than the last one?
    By my back of the fag paper maths, anyone working full time will be directly better off with the taper cut than they were with the £20 uplift.

Indirectly they'll be much better off due to the easing of the poverty trap.

If anyone isn't working, they can get a job. We have full employment.
    Except, I'll state this again, UC isn't just a de facto unemployment benefit, it merged things for people who cannot work/work more hours.

The taper relief makes no impact for them.
    Then they should work. 🤷‍♂️

We have full employment and the ability to work from home. If you want more money then work for it.
    You keep using this "full employment" term but don't seem understand the laws of supply and demand.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. There's great demand right now for labour up and down the country.

If anyone doesn't have a job, now is the time to go and get one - and the government has just rightly cut the tax on getting one.

That's better than a handout. Keep more of your own money you work for instead.
    Well the gaps on my CV are too great for potential employers to stomach.

Until that changes I'll be unemployed during a period of "full employment"
    Well then keep trying until you find an employer who is willing to stomach it. Many companies are doing so deliberately right now.

If you've given up I see no reason the state should pay you not to be looking though.
    Cool - thanks for the advice. To be honest suicide is a way out of my predicament but please don't tell anyone about that otherwise I'll have Police Scotland knocking my door.
    I’m really sorry to hear of your circs. Genuinely there are places to get help with gaining employment. And have you thought of volunteering in the interim? Apologies if this comes across patronising, but please ask for help.
    My Psychiatrist is organising Occupational Therapy for me.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    edited October 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Palace Intrigue getting a lot of PB Airspace tonight; When we all know that Prince Charles will be King Something Else in a few years.

I'm more intrigued by Biden today.

If I was meeting God's representative on earth - I think a kneel more than a simple handshake might be more appropriate??

What about all the other faiths???
    Yes - I wasn't being clear enough. Biden seems to think a simple hand shake is required when he meets who he thinks is God's representative on earth.
    Joe Biden is a Catholic, but he is also President of the United States.

And if you are expecting a sitting POTUS to kiss ANYONE's ring (except for #45 with his mentor Putin, he certainly kissed his "ring" often enough) you are nuttier than even I think you are.
    Nope.

If I met who I thought to be was God's representative on earth I would kneel.
    If I met anyone who genuinely believed he was God’s representative on earth I think I would probably laugh. I mean, being polite, I would try not to, but seriously.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

YouGov is the start. In a few weeks it will be unpopular and Tories will pretend they never agreed with it

Are you saying the whole point of the Budget was just to achieve a temporary increase in the Conservative Party's poll rating?

Silly me - I thought it was meant to be a significant speech outlining the economic direction of the country.
    No, just that for the vast majority of people it will not be on their radar in several weeks. Let’s see if it’s still headline news at the start of December.
    Doesn’t the reduced UC taper come in by 1st December? An awful lot of people will see more cash in their pay packets before Christmas, thanks to Santa Sunak.
    The cut in UC took effect in October so it will go up compared to their November income.
    But they'll compare it to the income of the previous 18 out 19 months rather than the last one?
    By my back of the fag paper maths, anyone working full time will be directly better off with the taper cut than they were with the £20 uplift.

Except, I'll state this again, UC isn't just a de facto unemployment benefit, it merged things for people who cannot work/work more hours.

We have full employment and the ability to work from home. If you want more money then work for it.
    You keep using this "full employment" term but don't seem understand the laws of supply and demand.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. There's great demand right now for labour up and down the country.

If anyone doesn't have a job, now is the time to go and get one - and the government has just rightly cut the tax on getting one.

Well then keep trying until you find an employer who is willing to stomach it. Many companies are doing so deliberately right now.

If you've given up I see no reason the state should pay you not to be looking though.
    Cool - thanks for the advice. To be honest suicide is a way out of my predicament but please don't tell anyone about that otherwise I'll have Police Scotland knocking my door.
    Help and support is available for you if you need that.

Perhaps try the Samaritans or any other organisations near you and see what help you can get if you need it?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557
    edited October 2021

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Some people are physically and/or mentally incapable of work. They really are. They're not malingerers. Indeed many may have worked for years or decades before becoming incapable of work. But shit happens. The fact you don't care is not an appealing trait.
    I'm quite OK with there being a higher rate for those who legitimately can't work and have been demonstrated that they can't - and that already happens. There is a higher rate for those with limited capabilities to work in the existing system.

For anyone else, they should be given the support to get back to work.

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to uplift someone who is able to work's rate, if they're not bothering to work. Do you?
    Well, at least you've backed down from your previous statements: If anyone doesn't have a job, now is the time to go and get one, and: If anyone isn't working, they can get a job.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Palace Intrigue getting a lot of PB Airspace tonight; When we all know that Prince Charles will be King Something Else in a few years.

If I was meeting God's representative on earth - I think a kneel more than a simple handshake might be more appropriate??

Yes - I wasn't being clear enough. Biden seems to think a simple hand shake is required when he meets who he thinks is God's representative on earth.

And if you are expecting a sitting POTUS to kiss ANYONE's ring (except for #45 with his mentor Putin, he certainly kissed his "ring" often enough) you are nuttier than even I think you are.
    Nope.

If I met anyone who genuinely believed he was God’s representative on earth I think I would probably laugh. I mean, being polite, I would try not to, but seriously.
    Catholicism is the most believed religion in the world.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Nope.

Same mistake though that Pontious Pilate (no idea how you spell it ) made t
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

As always, throwing phrases like "full employment" round is misleading and often belies a simplistic approach to complex issues.

The question isn't that there are plenty of jobs but what kind of jobs, where and how much they are paying. There are acute shortages in some professions in key areas - we know that. It's the epitome of the square peg and the round hole - those available for work and the jobs available for them to do.

It is also a problem at the lowest end of the labour market where the jobs are often unpleasant and repetitive and still not well paid. It's also a problem in some professions where the lack of suitably-qualified people means a buyers' market where individuals can quickly move up the salary ladder leaving those companies and organisations which can't or won't pay the new "going rate" in trouble.

It is these shortages in key professional and skilled areas which drive up wage and price inflation not the old chestnut of why we can't find anyone to clean the toilets (for example).

The "answer" which is straight out of the Tony Blair handbook is to raise the skill level of the native population - that works up to a point but this is why the immigration of the skilled and the professional is always welcomed and supported.

The trouble is, the jobs at the lowest end are still going begging or at least until AI so we are told.

Finally, commiserations to those who backed the Conservatives in Carlisle last evening. If you've another tenner to spend on a long-range lost cause, I'll offer DELTA WORK in the Champion Chase at Down Royal tomorrow afternoon.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited October 2021
    I see Ms Dick of the Yard is wanting to add to doom and gloom (as if covid is not enough ) by saying Londoners shoudl be "alert " to a terrorist threat this Christmas . I mean is this really necessary ? You know, make people thing they could be blown up /shot or stabbed as they go Christmas Shopping - for no reason- because lets face it how alert do you have to be to avoid a terrorist attack? - you just need to be lucky or not unlucky . The police and intelligence service should be alert , shoppers not so unless we really want to live in a society where everything causes anxiety due to needing to be "alert"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

kle4 said:

What will be the effect on the practical lives of Brits if the Queen does die? I knwo there will be official mourning but what does that mean beside a lot of Nicolas Witchell and everyone looking really sad on TV ? Will shops shut ,cinemas close etc?

The plans are known in detail.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

But at its most basic, even if you are a royalist, avoid television for two weeks. And on the day probably several things will close early, but most not I suspect. So practical effect looks like not that much.

And I don't think there's an 'If' about it.
    The London Bridge plans might have been revised after complaints about DofE RIP overkill.
    The lesson ought to have been, wall to wall on one channel, something else to watch on the others.

Whether they are bright enough to have worked that out is another matter
  • Options

DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Nope.

DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Nope.

That’s what you get for listening to Mick Jagger.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

As always, throwing phrases like "full employment" round is misleading and often belies a simplistic approach to complex issues.

The question isn't that there are plenty of jobs but what kind of jobs, where and how much they are paying. There are acute shortages in some professions in key areas - we know that. It's the epitome of the square peg and the round hole - those available for work and the jobs available for them to do.

It is also a problem at the lowest end of the labour market where the jobs are often unpleasant and repetitive and still not well paid. It's also a problem in some professions where the lack of suitably-qualified people means a buyers' market where individuals can quickly move up the salary ladder leaving those companies and organisations which can't or won't pay the new "going rate" in trouble.

It is these shortages in key professional and skilled areas which drive up wage and price inflation not the old chestnut of why we can't find anyone to clean the toilets (for example).

The "answer" which is straight out of the Tony Blair handbook is to raise the skill level of the native population - that works up to a point but this is why the immigration of the skilled and the professional is always welcomed and supported.

The trouble is, the jobs at the lowest end are still going begging or at least until AI so we are told.

Finally, commiserations to those who backed the Conservatives in Carlisle last evening. If you've another tenner to spend on a long-range lost cause, I'll offer DELTA WORK in the Champion Chase at Down Royal tomorrow afternoon.

If DELTA WORK runs at anything like the speed that Delta spreads, it looks like a good bet.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377
    Nice of the French to confirm what Remainers once tried to deny

“French PM Jean Castex has sent a letter to Ursula von der Leyen, the Commission’s president, to notify her of Paris’ planned reprisals against the UK in the fish war. Castex asks for support because the EU needs to show ‘leaving the Union is more damaging than remaining in it’.”

https://twitter.com/barnes_joe/status/1454110348005490693?s=21
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

You should see the gaps on *my* CV :lol:
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

What will be the effect on the practical lives of Brits if the Queen does die? I knwo there will be official mourning but what does that mean beside a lot of Nicolas Witchell and everyone looking really sad on TV ? Will shops shut ,cinemas close etc?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

But at its most basic, even if you are a royalist, avoid television for two weeks. And on the day probably several things will close early, but most not I suspect. So practical effect looks like not that much.

The London Bridge plans might have been revised after complaints about DofE RIP overkill.
    The lesson ought to have been, wall to wall on one channel, something else to watch on the others.

Probably a bit of FOMO though if the Channel head of the one that is excused from having to mourn gets jealous of his or her more mournful colleagues.
  • Options

I see Ms Dick of the Yard is wanting to add to doom and gloom (as if covid is not enough ) by saying Londoners shoudl be "alert " to a terrorist threat this Christmas . I mean is this really necessary ? You know, make people thing they could be blown up /shot or stabbed as they go Christmas Shopping - for no reason- because lets face it how alert do you have to be to avoid a terrorist attack? - you just need to be lucky or not unlucky . The police and intelligence service should be alert , shoppers not so unless we really want to live in a society where everything causes anxiety due to needing to be "alert"

To call her a dick is a deep insult to millions of well meaning prats and fools who might otherwise suffer that epithet.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

“French PM Jean Castex has sent a letter to Ursula von der Leyen, the Commission’s president, to notify her of Paris’ planned reprisals against the UK in the fish war. Castex asks for support because the EU needs to show ‘leaving the Union is more damaging than remaining in it’.”

Not sure this tete a tete is a vindication of LEAVE given these arguments naturally occur between rival organisations/countries or people- Its the act of leaving and pitting ourselves against France that causes it not the fact that the French are wrong or evil or petty .Since the year dot rivals have arguments and seek revenge .
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Two possibilities here. One is that this is an appalling comment you should be ashamed of. The other is FFS speak to someone, anyone, and get the help and support you need.

If it’s the latter you have my very best wishes and prayers, seriously.
    I would add that a very good friend of mine went through a horrendous time - ended up sectioned semi-voluntarily. Despite the resulting employment history, he now has a good job and has rebuilt his life. It took time and a lot of effort, but it can be done.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Some people are physically and/or mentally incapable of work. They really are. They're not malingerers. Indeed many may have worked for years or decades before becoming incapable of work. But shit happens. The fact you don't care is not an appealing trait.
    For anyone else, they should be given the support to get back to work.

Everyone should be given support to get back to work.
    However, this sector has been butchered over 11 years. Replaced with hectoring, threats and sanctions. And professional specialists employed by the DWP replaced by grant farming unqualified chancers.
    A labour shortage is what you sow for a decade of total disregard of, and contempt for basic employment skills training.

I, Daniel Blake. Essential viewing for anybody with a heart and an ounce of compassion. Yes, it's fiction, but it resonates powerfully with people who've been through the DWP hoops if you talk to them.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Exactly. Completely overdoing the forced mourning would be the most effective way of furthering the cause of Republicanism.

A day off for the funeral would probably go down reasonably well.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If you can't be bothered to wear a mask then I don't have a lot of sympathy for you tbh, on TfL services it is required and part of the conditions of carriage, so unless you're legitimately exempt, then I stand by calling people either liars or lazy

i was on the tube and DLR yesterday and did not wear a mask and neither did about 60% . People really dont like them
    Of course they don't like them! Masks are horrible things, and I'll throw a party when I get to burn mine.

But given the way that Covid accumulates in enclosed spaces with lots of people (and remember that probably the most dangerous job on a deaths per hour of work was bus driver), it's common courtesy to wear them on crowded public transport. Just as it's common courtesy to cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
    Given covid is no more fatal than flu at the moment (1 in 50 has it this week but only about 200 deaths ) then did you wear one pre covid because flu has always been here? time to move on and stop obsessing about it - just doing my bit for that
    That's a little misleading, don't you think? The people most likely to have Covid right now are in the 5 to 15 age range, and they're highly unlikely to die of it. (Which, by the way, is great as it means it'll run through this cohort, and then remove a major vector of transmission.)

The people I'm with on the tube are highly likely to be a lot older, and therefore to have a much higher CFR.

I think wearing a mask in settings where there is substantially higher risk that I'll infect other people is common courtesy. It's not something I'd legally require (and if the tube wasn't busy I probably wouldn't worry), but I do try to avoid causing pain and suffering to my fellow man as a general rule, even if it involves some small discomfort for a 20 minute tube ride.
    Quite a good Times article by Parris on Saturday. He's a mask skeptic but was bemoaning the fact that unless something is law people tend to not do it. We lack the necessary social will to do the right thing if it's only advised, hence making the legal route more probable when it really shouldn't be necessary. Me, I just wear a mask if most others are. Bit lazy, and not quite what Parris was getting at, but that's my MO on this one.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Two possibilities here. One is that this is an appalling comment you should be ashamed of. The other is FFS speak to someone, anyone, and get the help and support you need.

To be honest it's probably somewhere in the middle of your binary options.

I'm simply not brave enough to take my own life so I shouldn't have posted that comment.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

I'm simply not brave enough to take my own life so I shouldn't have posted that comment.
    Really, seek help. Speaking to someone disinterested really helps. I have a friend who works for the Samaritans. It works. Don’t be alone with this.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    edited October 2021

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

I suggest you read up on things like the Employment and Support Allowance which is being phased into Universal Credit before making ignorant comments like that.
    Yes and the ESA element if you have a limited capability for work is at a different rate to the generic UC for anyone else.

So if you wish for that to be raise higher then that's an argument to be made, but there's absolutely no reason to do so for everyone else who already get a lower rate than that.
    If you have limited capability for work (LCW) since April 2017 you get the standard rate of UC.

You need to meet much tighter criteria to qualify for the confusingly named 'limited capability for work related activity' (LCWRA) to get the additional UC allowance.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    FT Exclusive: @EmmanuelMacron warns Boris Johnson the UK’s international “credibility” is on the line in the Brexit disputes over fishing rights and Northern Ireland.

“Make no mistake, it is not just for the Europeans but all of their partners.”

https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1454161965450924036
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Farooq said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

To be honest, an all woman shortlist might be the only way Labour elects a female leader. And even then I'm not convinced that they wouldn't mess it up!

Would physically-male-candidates-who-self-identify-as-women* be allowed to stand

* genuine question - am so confused by the right words now… there must be a snappier way of describing someone like that?
    Transwomen.

Sorry to hear about the confusion over words. I'm sure it's nothing. Did you get your 8 hours last night?
    I start from the position of not wishing to inadvertently cause offence. As the topic is so fast moving and controversial and I don’t really care enough to follow it in detail I didn’t want to make a mistake
    Me too. I do it deliberately.
    On occasion, and judiciously, yes. But you need to be careful it doesn’t become a habit
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If you can't be bothered to wear a mask then I don't have a lot of sympathy for you tbh, on TfL services it is required and part of the conditions of carriage, so unless you're legitimately exempt, then I stand by calling people either liars or lazy

i was on the tube and DLR yesterday and did not wear a mask and neither did about 60% . People really dont like them
    Of course they don't like them! Masks are horrible things, and I'll throw a party when I get to burn mine.

But given the way that Covid accumulates in enclosed spaces with lots of people (and remember that probably the most dangerous job on a deaths per hour of work was bus driver), it's common courtesy to wear them on crowded public transport. Just as it's common courtesy to cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
    Given covid is no more fatal than flu at the moment (1 in 50 has it this week but only about 200 deaths ) then did you wear one pre covid because flu has always been here? time to move on and stop obsessing about it - just doing my bit for that
    That's a little misleading, don't you think? The people most likely to have Covid right now are in the 5 to 15 age range, and they're highly unlikely to die of it. (Which, by the way, is great as it means it'll run through this cohort, and then remove a major vector of transmission.)

The people I'm with on the tube are highly likely to be a lot older, and therefore to have a much higher CFR.

I think wearing a mask in settings where there is substantially higher risk that I'll infect other people is common courtesy. It's not something I'd legally require (and if the tube wasn't busy I probably wouldn't worry), but I do try to avoid causing pain and suffering to my fellow man as a general rule, even if it involves some small discomfort for a 20 minute tube ride.
    Quite a good Times article by Parris on Saturday. He's a mask skeptic but was bemoaning the fact that unless something is law people tend to not do it. We lack the necessary social will to do the right thing if it's only advised, hence making the legal route more probable when it really shouldn't be necessary. Me, I just wear a mask if most others are. Bit lazy, and not quite what Parris was getting at, but that's my MO on this one.
    I get people who genuinely think wearing a mask helps with covid (or it is worth the miserable existence it promotes) even if i have the opposite view but really dont get when people dont wear masks but actually want the government to tell them they have to ! That makes me actually depressed with society
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The GOp have done an amzing job in North Virginia.

They found their message (It is vital that we ban books in school libraries) and have hammered it over the closing month.

https://twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/1454088492909096963
  • Options

DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

I would add that a very good friend of mine went through a horrendous time - ended up sectioned semi-voluntarily. Despite the resulting employment history, he now has a good job and has rebuilt his life. It took time and a lot of effort, but it can be done.
    Well of course it can. But some don’t make it. Too many. It is not something to take lightly.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

I’m really sorry to hear of your circs. Genuinely there are places to get help with gaining employment. And have you thought of volunteering in the interim? Apologies if this comes across patronising, but please ask for help.
    That's good. I have a close relative who went through a long period of anxiety and depression, and I know how horrible it is - but she came out of it and now has a decent life.

I don't think all employers would rule out taking someone with long gaps in their employment - I've known of people with periods of mental illness who found work as well as ex-prisoners. Basically the employer needs to feel it's in the past.

But also, there's more to life than work. An indirect route back to a more contented situation can be simply an interest.

In any case good luck, and come here and chat about anything.
  • Options
    You may have noticed that we have spent a shit load in the last 18 months? Taxes were going to have to rise. It appears to be reasonably broad based and some good other measures
  • Options

Leon said:

Not sure this tete a tete is a vindication of LEAVE given these arguments naturally occur between rival organisations/countries or people- Its the act of leaving and pitting ourselves against France that causes it not the fact that the French are wrong or evil or petty .Since the year dot rivals have arguments and seek revenge .
    Sure. And I agree. And actually the French have a logical point, tho they are possibly foolish to make it explicit

My argument is different. I’m talking about the notorious Barnier quite in Le Figaro when he said “my job is to make Brexit so painful the British will regret voting Leave”

It was picked up by leavers as proof of the EU’s
    Mafia mentality. Then Remainers spent a long time arguing that he’d never said it, or his words had been twisted, blah blah, the usual bollocks

Well here’s the French PM saying it all over again. In an official letter (if the quote is accurate and it hasn’t been denied)

We really are better off out. What if you are an EU-sceptic in an EU country NOW? You are now fully aware the EU is a gang which seeks to hurt those who want to leave. Nasty
  • Options
    Mr Briskin please seek help. Pills can tide a soul over the worst
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

That's good. I have a close relative who went through a long period of anxiety and depression, and I know how horrible it is - but she came out of it and now has a decent life.

I don't think all employers would rule out taking someone with long gaps in their employment - I've known of people with periods of mental illness who found work as well as ex-prisoners. Basically the employer needs to feel it's in the past.

But also, there's more to life than work. An indirect route back to a more contented situation can be simply an interest.

In any case good luck, and come here and chat about anything.
    Thanks Nick
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Leon said:

Macron has discovered that a manufactured spat with the Brits makes it look like he's standing up for the French ahead of next year's election. He's a little bit like Tony Blair, only without any of the redeeming characteristics.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Those Brazilian electricians need keeping in line
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

Calm down people.

My grandma was generous on my birthday so I'll have enough beer money till xmas which will keep me happy enough for now. And I'll be here posting on most days till then.

You'll have to post every day, not most days. Even if it's just to say hello. As soon as you miss a day, there'll be collective anxiety given your soul-baring this evening.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Queen advised to rest for at least the next fortnight by the doctors.

London Bridge is going to fall down soon isn't it?

Quite possibly not, although if this turns into a permanent physical decline that limits her ability to discharge her role then the time will have come for retirement.

If the Queen point blank refuses to abdicate then that's no barrier: the mechanism exists to declare a Regency.
    I'm going to ask Shadsy to put up a market on who the Regent shall be.

My money will be going on Boris Johnson.
    When my mentor was still alive he was chairman of the Regency Council, of which ++Runcie and the Prince of Wales were the other members
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I get people who genuinely think wearing a mask helps with covid (or it is worth the miserable existence it promotes) even if i have the opposite view but really dont get when people dont wear masks but actually want the government to tell them they have to ! That makes me actually depressed with society
    You do know that there's quite a lot of academic research that's been published during the last 18 months on masks and Covid, right?

It's perfectly sensible (and probably correct) to say that the negative effects of masks in many circumstances outweigh the benefits. But it's incorrect to say that masks don't (a) reduce the spread of Covid in general, and (b) result in people who do catch it getting smaller viral loads.

• Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

I suggest you read up on things like the Employment and Support Allowance which is being phased into Universal Credit before making ignorant comments like that.
    Yes and the ESA element if you have a limited capability for work is at a different rate to the generic UC for anyone else.

So if you wish for that to be raise higher then that's an argument to be made, but there's absolutely no reason to do so for everyone else who already get a lower rate than that.
    If you have limited capability for work (LCW) since April 2017 you get the standard rate of UC.

You need to meet much tighter criteria to qualify for the confusingly named 'limited capability for work related activity' (LCWRA) to get the additional UC allowance.
    Then anyone not meeting the LCWRA criteria should be looking for work.

Its good for your mental health as well as your finances to be working.
  • Options

FT Exclusive: @EmmanuelMacron warns Boris Johnson the UK’s international “credibility” is on the line in the Brexit disputes over fishing rights and Northern Ireland.

Trying to bring both issues together

They must be hurting that we left
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Macron has discovered that a manufactured spat with the Brits makes it look like he's standing up for the French ahead of next year's election. He's a little bit like Tony Blair, only without any of the redeeming characteristics.
    Wow. Harsh.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

Yeah, I don't think countries give two shits about fishing disputes. Though they might well pretend to.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Calm down people.

My grandma was generous on my birthday so I'll have enough beer money till xmas which will keep me happy enough for now. And I'll be here posting on most days till then.

You'll have to post every day, not most days. Even if it's just to say hello. As soon as you miss a day, there'll be collective anxiety given your soul-baring this evening.
    I certainly try my best with that one.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You do know that there's quite a lot of academic research that's been published during the last 18 months on masks and Covid, right?

It's perfectly sensible (and probably correct) to say that the negative effects of masks in many circumstances outweigh the benefits. But it's incorrect to say that masks don't (a) reduce the spread of Covid in general, and (b) result in people who do catch it getting smaller viral loads.

The neutral, academic research I've seen into mask mandates (as opposed to masks) show a negligible impact on Covid.

Funnily enough having a load of people walking around with masks around their necks doesn't do much to stop the spread.
  • Options
    Charles said:

You may have noticed that we have spent a shit load in the last 18 months? Taxes were going to have to rise. It appears to be reasonably broad based and some good other measures
    Though the Chancellor did mention billions (as in spending more of them on just about everything ) about 55 times in the speech - hardly cutting down the debt is it?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yeah, I don't think countries give two shits about fishing disputes. Though they might well pretend to.
    Perhaps what he means is that if we give in to them, no-one else will take us seriously.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Well of course it can. But some don’t make it. Too many. It is not something to take lightly.
    Indeed. But everyone who does, that's a plus. He who saves a single life etc.....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Even the rest of the EU aren't bothered and backing the French over this.

The notion the Japanese, Australians etc will be is completely laughable.
  • Options
    Charles said:

pigeon said:

Quite possibly not, although if this turns into a permanent physical decline that limits her ability to discharge her role then the time will have come for retirement.

If the Queen point blank refuses to abdicate then that's no barrier: the mechanism exists to declare a Regency.

When my mentor was still alive he was chairman of the Regency Council, of which ++Runcie and the Prince of Wales were the other members
    You are a parody account, aren't you?

And what sort of mentor can't chair a Regency council posthumously? Lightweight.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

To be fair, sounding and acting "tough" against the Europeans, with the odd flounce thrown in, didn't do David Cameron any harm either.

Perhaps they remembered all his rhetoric when he tried to get a new membership deal after the 2015 GE.
  • Options
    Charles said:

The Tories could announce that they were killing babies and you’d tell us what a good policy it was.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Well, and it is also waving the big stick over the NIP. Tear up agreements at your peril.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The neutral, academic research I've seen into mask mandates (as opposed to masks) show a negligible impact on Covid.

Funnily enough having a load of people walking around with masks around their necks doesn't do much to stop the spread.
    I haven't seen anything on mask mandates, but I have read a lot of pieces on the effectiveness of masks. And all the evidence is that perform exactly the same role as covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze - that is they limit the amount of viral material that goes flying into the air around you.

But more importantly, I'm not arguing for mask mandates. I think we're past that now. And I think they result in people being required to use masks at times which are utterly ridiculous. If you're the only person in a tube carriage, why on earth should you be legally required to mask up?

All I'm saying is that (a) masks work, and (b) it's common courtesy to wear them in high risk environments.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    Anyway, just got my NHS notification for my booster telling me that I was a priority because of serious risks to me if I caught it (don't recall this message previously) and am getting it next Wednesday in Ulverston.

Followed by a lovely breakfast there and maybe even a trip to Booths, which makes Waitrose seem like Lidl.

The bridges seem to be open again too. And there was the most magnificent rainbow over the estuary once the rain stopped.

Heard Bridget Philippson on QT last night. She seemed good. What else has she done?
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date - finally got through the DDOS of the API...

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited October 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

My eldest son who is 55 today and has severe PTSD from attending ground zero in 2011 at the Christchurch earthquake disaster and now lives in BC, Canada is constantly undergoing counselling on this issue and it has helped him greatly

As a young professional snowboarder performing in the mid 1980's in Europe, the US and Canada he witnessed several horrific accidental deaths and no less than 5 of his friends committed suicide

In each one had sought help they would have had a chance of life

Please seek advice, your life is precious

All the very best
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Is this research done in a lab though or in some kind of controlled environment because in the real world with people of all shapes and sizes the fact that Wales and Scotland have higher rates (with mask mandates ) somehow doesnt tie in with masks doing any good with covid (not that it is any more fatal than flu ) .Vaccines I get and even the nudges to get people jabbed but masks is just covid theatre satisfying the need of governments the world over to show they can solve things when King Cnut showed centuries ago some things just happen
  • Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway, just got my NHS notification for my booster telling me that I was a priority because of serious risks to me if I caught it (don't recall this message previously) and am getting it next Wednesday in Ulverston.

Followed by a lovely breakfast there and maybe even a trip to Booths, which makes Waitrose seem like Lidl.

The bridges seem to be open again too. And there was the most magnificent rainbow over the estuary once the rain stopped.

Heard Bridget Philippson on QT last night. She seemed good. What else has she done?

The rain stopped?? Weird.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    kle4 said:

Good ole Macron
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    Age related data scaled to 100k

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I haven't seen anything on mask mandates, but I have read a lot of pieces on the effectiveness of masks. And all the evidence is that perform exactly the same role as covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze - that is they limit the amount of viral material that goes flying into the air around you.

But more importantly, I'm not arguing for mask mandates. I think we're past that now. And I think they result in people being required to use masks at times which are utterly ridiculous. If you're the only person in a tube carriage, why on earth should you be legally required to mask up?

All I'm saying is that (a) masks work, and (b) it's common courtesy to wear them in high risk environments.

So we're back to that old conundrum of personal responsibility vs individual choice.

I may not want to wear a mask but if wearing one makes some difference in spreading a virus which I may or may not have, so be it. Whether it's effective stopping the spread of colds or ordinary flu, I don't know but it must be better than doing nothing.

Combined with the sanitising of transport carriages, it may yet help - from a broadly economic viewpoint, reducing the days lost through illness and improving productivity of those who struggle to work even though they aren't fit because they can't afford to miss a day's pay - all to the good.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

Charles said:

The Tories could announce that they were killing babies and you’d tell us what a good policy it was.
    Definitely not, there's a shortage of slaughterers I seem to recall. Though Boris did talk about feeding humans to animals recently...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Definitely not, there's a shortage of slaughterers I seem to recall. Though Boris did talk about feeding humans to animals recently...
    Payback time.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-reigning_monarchs

I'm a staunch supporter of the Queen (but not the Monarchy). She's got to get number one and displace the French.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Biden meets Macron:

@ABC
    "What happened was, to use an English phrase, what we did was clumsy," Pres. Biden says during meeting with French Pres. Macron about the recent U.S. snub of France for nuclear submarine technology in favor of Australia.

"France is an extremely, extremely valued partner."

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1454135251056447491

Why did Biden need to tell people he was speaking English? Does he normally speak a different language?
    At least he didn't say, "To use an English phrase, it was a faux pas."
    May be he should use the lingua Franca do everyone understands?
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

That’s not a long term solution*

I’d recommend getting something to start building a track record again. Even if it is below your qualifications - or even if it’s volunteering. Proof of reliability is what I suspect you need

* I know.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

@JBriskin

Sorry I messed up the blockquote but this is my message to you

My eldest son who is 55 today and has severe PTSD from attending ground zero in 2011 at the Christchurch earthquake disaster and now lives in BC, Canada is constantly undergoing counselling on this issue and it has helped him greatly

As a young professional snowboarder performing in the mid 1980's in Europe, the US and Canada he witnessed several horrific accidental deaths and no less than 5 of his friends committed suicide

All the very best
  • Options
    On the subject of fishing, I had an interesting chat with a caulkhead crab and lobster fisherman, who was at my MiLs funeral. Apparently the catch is 10% of what it was a decade ago.

The reason? A million cubic metres of silt dredged from Portsmouth Harbour to make space for the new carriers and dumped at Nab Point. The "Beast from the East" washed it right through the Crab and lobsterbeds as far as Dorset, flooding all the crevasses that the lobsters lived in. The beds won't recover in his lifetime.
  • Options

Insisting on proof is such a bad thing?
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Then anyone not meeting the LCWRA criteria should be looking for work.

Its good for your mental health as well as your finances to be working.
    The system ensures they have to be taking reasonable (as judged by their DWP Work Coach) steps to find work or else their UC is stopped. But it seems to me that some people really are unemployable - in the sense that no employer I know would take them on.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited October 2021

https://twitter.com/MirrorBreaking_/status/1454044688432910338

We have lost control, when is the Government going to get a grip

For someone employing their own PR company an in-house photographer a retriever from Urban Paws and a home visit from Nicky Clark the least you'd expect from our chancellor are decent headlines
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

pigeon said:

You are a parody account, aren't you?

And what sort of mentor can't chair a Regency council posthumously? Lightweight.
    He wanted to spend his second retirement getting pissed with the Queen Mum instead
  • Options
    edited October 2021

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

@JBriskin

All the very best

cc @Charles

Thanks for all the cool kind comments fellow PBers.

As I've already stated my psychiatrist is getting me occupational therapy so I think I'll take it from there.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014

pigeon said:

I seem to recall reading that HMQ would, basically, retire to Balmoral when Prince Philip passed. That certainly hasn't happened and up until very recently she has seemed very prominent. Maybe HM has just overdone it a bit. Hope it's just that.
    She couldn’t retire there because she couldn’t get Andrew to vacate the place.
  • Options

I'm a staunch supporter of the Queen (but not the Monarchy). She's got to get number one and displace the French.

Interesting list - hadn't appreciated before that France went 131 years with just two monarchs between 1643 and 1774.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

Plan B now. In a few weeks I think we will regret not taking action now.

Have a coffee, you seem to be drunk and hysterical.
    No just concerned about a virus that kills people and has put one my friends in hospital.
    If that's true I hope your friend gets better soon.

But that's not an excuse for "Plan B" or restrictions.

People getting sick isn't a reason to lock the country down, its the reason we have hospitals in the first place.
    If that’s true? Are you calling me a liar?
    You called me a liar earlier. A bit late to be precious about it.
    I said if somebody has legitimate reasons for being exempt that's different, otherwise it's laziness or lying about being exempt. I wear a mask, if you don't have a legitimate reason on TfL services at least you're breaking the rules and that's on you
    It's not about being exempt. It's knowing that if it's not safe to be out unless people are wearing masks then it's not safe to be out at all, because the masks don't do much even if worn properly and precious few people are capable of that.

It's about whether we're still in an emergency or it's time to stop hiding.
  • Options

Sadly, not where the clever money is. I think this will all unravel quite quickly from here.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited October 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

@JBriskin

All the very best

cc @Charles

Thanks for all the cool kind comments fellow PBers.

As I've already stated my psychiatrist is getting me occupational therapy so I think I'll take it from there.

Try to keep as positive as you can and do not bottle it up

There is always someone you can talk to, even those of us on here

• Options

Interesting list - hadn't appreciated before that France went 131 years with just two monarchs between 1643 and 1774.
    In fairness they made sure this didn’t happen again in 1793.
  • Options

No just concerned about a virus that kills people and has put one my friends in hospital.

People getting sick isn't a reason to lock the country down, its the reason we have hospitals in the first place.
    I said if somebody has legitimate reasons for being exempt that's different, otherwise it's laziness or lying about being exempt. I wear a mask, if you don't have a legitimate reason on TfL services at least you're breaking the rules and that's on you
    It's not about being exempt. It's knowing that if it's not safe to be out unless people are wearing masks then it's not safe to be out at all, because the masks don't do much even if worn properly and precious few people are capable of that.

the masks don't do much even if worn properly and precious few people are capable of that

This is simply not true. There's the massive randomized study in Bangladesh with something like 300,000 people in it, and they looked at villages, and how many people were unmasked, how many were masked, and what kind of mask was worn.

There was a very significant impact on transmission associated with surgical masks, and a smaller one with cloth ones.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

In fairness they made sure this didn’t happen again in 1793.
    There were a fair few French monarchs AFTER 1793.
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales you do realise how identifiable you are making your son, to anyone who can be bothered to find out? Obviously well meant, but you shouldn't be doing it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

According to EU regulations, boats operating under the CFP in another member state's waters need to have remote tracking, so it should be easy to provide proof, unless they were previously breaking the rules.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363

kle4 said:

Anything but Nicolas Witchell. Charles is not a fan....
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    rcs1000 said:

the masks don't do much even if worn properly and precious few people are capable of that

This is simply not true. There's the massive randomized study in Bangladesh with something like 300,000 people in it, and they looked at villages, and how many people were unmasked, how many were masked, and what kind of mask was worn.

There was a very significant impact on transmission associated with surgical masks, and a smaller one with cloth ones.
    It’s just wrong headed to think that masks don’t impact on the spread of Covid, they clearly do, there are decent studies to show they do. It is of course facile to point at wales and say they are not working, but to do so ignores the Swiss cheese model. Frankly it’s complicated.
    The arguments should be about the potential downsides of masks. Some people hate them and may go out less if mandated to wear them. The ridiculous theatre in pubs and restaurants of putting them on to go to the toilet. The general sense of something is wrong, scary that may harm mental health.
    It’s complicated. In a pure anti Covid sense it’s a slam dunk in favour of masks while we are still in this phase, I.e. the exit wave. But the other, more nebulous effects must be considered. Just as social distancing rules rendered some pubs etc unprofitable, so masks can have detrimental effects. Plus, some of us believe that we are enduring pain now (high cases) to avoid pain later. Parts of Europe may look at us with envy in January.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

kle4 said:

Anything but Nicolas Witchell. Charles is not a fan....
    It's still possible she could outlive him.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    JBriskin3 said:

DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Nope.

Catholicism is the most believed religion in the world.
    Most attended.. not necessarily believed.eg. French Churches aiui are usually empty save for weddings and baptisms and funerals.
  • Options

Charles said:

According to EU regulations, boats operating under the CFP in another member state's waters need to have remote tracking, so it should be easy to provide proof, unless they were previously breaking the rules.
    I assume the tracking is Gallileo and not GPS :smile:
This discussion has been closed.