Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer’s successor looks set to be one of these three – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Palace Intrigue getting a lot of PB Airspace tonight; When we all know that Prince Charles will be King Something Else in a few years.

I'm more intrigued by Biden today.

If I was meeting God's representative on earth - I think a kneel more than a simple handshake might be more appropriate??

What about all the other faiths???
    Yes - I wasn't being clear enough. Biden seems to think a simple hand shake is required when he meets who he thinks is God's representative on earth.
    Biden met Blair?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    stodge said:

RobD said:

The last budget was popular on day one.

YouGov is the start. In a few weeks it will be unpopular and Tories will pretend they never agreed with it

In a few weeks no one will be talking about it.
    Are you saying the whole point of the Budget was just to achieve a temporary increase in the Conservative Party's poll rating?

Silly me - I thought it was meant to be a significant speech outlining the economic direction of the country.
    No, just that for the vast majority of people it will not be on their radar in several weeks. Let’s see if it’s still headline news at the start of December.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Palace Intrigue getting a lot of PB Airspace tonight; When we all know that Prince Charles will be King Something Else in a few years.

If I was meeting God's representative on earth - I think a kneel more than a simple handshake might be more appropriate??

Yes - I wasn't being clear enough. Biden seems to think a simple hand shake is required when he meets who he thinks is God's representative on earth.
    Biden met Blair?
    Blair is also a Catholic nowadays for the record.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Biden met Blair?
    Does that count?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

OT tennis. Raducanu a set down in Transylvania.

Emma Raducanu has lost her quarter-final match to Marta Kostyuk.
    That's a bit of a thumping from a player knocked out in R1 of the US Open (albeit by the woman that Raducanu beat in the semis).
    Yes. ER looked knackered. Maybe she needs to go back to the coach shop and buy one.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    IanB2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Biden met Blair?
    Does that count?
    It really doesn't matter which hell he's going to
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Regency.
    Paul Dacre is hossing for a gig.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841
    RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

YouGov is the start. In a few weeks it will be unpopular and Tories will pretend they never agreed with it

Are you saying the whole point of the Budget was just to achieve a temporary increase in the Conservative Party's poll rating?

Silly me - I thought it was meant to be a significant speech outlining the economic direction of the country.
    No, just that for the vast majority of people it will not be on their radar in several weeks. Let’s see if it’s still headline news at the start of December.
    Doesn’t the reduced UC taper come in by 1st December? An awful lot of people will see more cash in their pay packets before Christmas, thanks to Santa Sunak.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Biden met Blair?
    Does that count?
    Are you suggesting that Catholisism is inherited?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,385
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

To be honest, an all woman shortlist might be the only way Labour elects a female leader. And even then I'm not convinced that they wouldn't mess it up!

Would physically-male-candidates-who-self-identify-as-women* be allowed to stand

* genuine question - am so confused by the right words now… there must be a snappier way of describing someone like that?
    Transwomen.

Sorry to hear about the confusion over words. I'm sure it's nothing. Did you get your 8 hours last night?
    I start from the position of not wishing to inadvertently cause offence. As the topic is so fast moving and controversial and I don’t really care enough to follow it in detail I didn’t want to make a mistake
    Yes, sorry, my snark wasn't apt there. Thought you were pushing the old "oh lord, what DO you call these types these days?" general reactionary trope - ho ho and yawn yawn - but I now sense you weren't. I'm a bit 'off' today, not sure why. Probably because I've been staying in the Cotswolds. That can mess with your head a bit.
    On the reactionary trope thing, the lobby itself shifted to LGBTQ+ quite some time ago.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,080
    edited October 2021

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, apologies, I missed your reply before.

I'm not in favour of limiting recruitment by sex. Because of the particular nature of primary school teachers (often providing parental figures for those either lacking one or both parents or as a better version if said parents are rather bad examples) and the heavily slanted sex composition of schoolteachers I would like to see a recruitment drive for male teachers to increase the numbers. I would not advocate either all-male shortlists or some sort of quota, however.

Well that would be positive discrimination - and I think I'd agree with it too. So, ok, you bridle at "quotas" and the like, but you can get behind positive discrimination where you see a real problem. Therefore it's a matter of where you see these real problems. Maybe that's restricted to 'too few men in primary teaching' but I'd be surprised if this were the case. I mean, there's so many high status arenas where women and/or certain minorities and/or working class people are underrepresented. There really is no doubt about that. It's simply a matter of do we wish to address it and if so how. My suspicion is that the answers are (i) not really and (ii) n/a. I think we're oddly attached to privilege in this country. We quite like it, including many of those who don't have it. We find it a comfortable notion.
    We are attached to privilege but not just in this country.

When we gain a coveted position, most of us take the view that "God has given us the Papacy, let us enjoy it."
    It's also human nature to think we deserve it. This, imo, is one of the major handicaps the left in politics faces. That the biggest single determinant in life outcome is birth circumstances, this is true but a hard sell. It's not romantic. It's not nice to think about. And furthermore for most individual successes, the person owes a massive amount to luck and to other things/people, as opposed to their own 'merit'. Eg the bank trader using the firm's settlement and accounting processes, IT, balance sheet etc will nevertheless think HE has made the money. It's total bollox. But it's a necessary mental piece of falsethink for self esteem and justification. You see this all the time. The truth, the cold collectivist deterministic truth, is not palatable, therefore people reject it, protect the status quo, vote Conservative. This is why Labour don't win many elections - and why when they do they need to make it count.
    You also run up against one of the most powerful instincts of all: the need to make sure that your offspring succeed though whatever help you can give them. Any policy that seems to reduce the ability of people to help their children do better is not going to go down well, which is why IHT is so unpopular.
    Yep, very good point, that's key to the whole 'inequality' debate and a big obstacle to doing anything serious about reducing it. Because the hard fact is, you can't remove barriers in the way of the disadvantaged without making the passage through life of the advantaged more onerous. All is relative. The words "disadvantaged" and "advantaged" have no meaning otherwise. They mean "compared to". They have to mean that. I'd also throw something else into the pot - in addition to the "giving my children the best possible start in life" business which you highlight - and that's the tendency of 'ordinary' people, rather than resenting or disliking privilege, to think, "Good on them, perhaps one day that can be me, or my kids." Grrr.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Who does that help though? Conservatives are ahead but falling.

The Budget wasn't an omnishambles, but chunky tax rises and (likely) unchunky real pay rises are still in the pipeline.

Going on the basis that more people notice the number of pounds in their pocket than follow the daily carnival, that doesn't augur well for the government.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

I think he was saying that all budgets go through a news cycle and a few weeks down the line the cycle has passed for most people. Significance or lack thereof in a budget does not get shown by the public reaction I think.
    Yes - I'm well aware and I enjoy yanking @RobD's chain.

Assuming tomorrow night's polls show an increase in the Conservative lead, we will no doubt hear roars of approval from the usual suspects so as I say the Budget will have done its job and given the Conservatives a lift as they head into what might be an awkward winter.

As to whether it has any serious economic impact, debatable at best.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284
    edited October 2021
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Doesn’t the reduced UC taper come in by 1st December? An awful lot of people will see more cash in their pay packets before Christmas, thanks to Santa Sunak.
    Not compared to their September/October incomes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It will be climate change and Christmas and HMQ maybe (but genuinely hope not)

Sounds as if someone is on a lone mission to ramp up his hope of winning a bet with somebody
  • Options
    FWIW I've mentioned that a friend of mine works for a Job Centre Plus (one that trialled the rollout of UC)

She's said 95% of their queries relate to the UC uplift cut as people are suffering from and are about to suffer financial hardship.

So much so that the DWP ministers have added a 'The £20 uplift' option on the journal entry option.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

The cut in UC took effect in October so it will go up compared to their November income.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    edited October 2021

RobD said:

Sounds as if someone is on a lone mission to ramp up his hope of winning a bet with somebody
    The news will doubtless be full of the clown assuring everybody that we can rely upon him to save Christmas?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

I'm not in favour of limiting recruitment by sex. Because of the particular nature of primary school teachers (often providing parental figures for those either lacking one or both parents or as a better version if said parents are rather bad examples) and the heavily slanted sex composition of schoolteachers I would like to see a recruitment drive for male teachers to increase the numbers. I would not advocate either all-male shortlists or some sort of quota, however.

Well that would be positive discrimination - and I think I'd agree with it too. So, ok, you bridle at "quotas" and the like, but you can get behind positive discrimination where you see a real problem. Therefore it's a matter of where you see these real problems. Maybe that's restricted to 'too few men in primary teaching' but I'd be surprised if this were the case. I mean, there's so many high status arenas where women and/or certain minorities and/or working class people are underrepresented. There really is no doubt about that. It's simply a matter of do we wish to address it and if so how. My suspicion is that the answers are (i) not really and (ii) n/a. I think we're oddly attached to privilege in this country. We quite like it, including many of those who don't have it. We find it a comfortable notion.

When we gain a coveted position, most of us take the view that "God has given us the Papacy, let us enjoy it."
    It's also human nature to think we deserve it. This, imo, is one of the major handicaps the left in politics faces. That the biggest single determinant in life outcome is birth circumstances, this is true but a hard sell. It's not romantic. It's not nice to think about. And furthermore for most individual successes, the person owes a massive amount to luck and to other things/people, as opposed to their own 'merit'. Eg the bank trader using the firm's settlement and accounting processes, IT, balance sheet etc will nevertheless think HE has made the money. It's total bollox. But it's a necessary mental piece of falsethink for self esteem and justification. You see this all the time. The truth, the cold collectivist deterministic truth, is not palatable, therefore people reject it, protect the status quo, vote Conservative. This is why Labour don't win many elections - and why when they do they need to make it count.
    You also run up against one of the most powerful instincts of all: the need to make sure that your offspring succeed though whatever help you can give them. Any policy that seems to reduce the ability of people to help their children do better is not going to go down well, which is why IHT is so unpopular.
    Yep, very good point, that's key to the whole 'inequality' debate and a big obstacle to doing anything serious about reducing it. Because the hard fact is, you can't remove barriers in the way of the disadvantaged without making the passage through life of the advantaged more onerous. All is relative. The words "disadvantaged" and "advantaged" have no meaning otherwise. They mean "compared to". They have to mean that. I'd also throw something else into the pot - in addition to the "giving my children the best possible start in life" business which you highlight - and that's the tendency of 'ordinary' people, rather than resenting or disliking privilege, to think, "Good on them, perhaps one day that can be me, or my kids." Grrr.
    Personally - I think a bit more "equality of outcome" as opposed to "equality of opportunity" wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options

FWIW I've mentioned that a friend of mine works for a Job Centre Plus (one that trialled the rollout of UC)

She's said 95% of their queries relate to the UC uplift cut as people are suffering from and are about to suffer financial hardship.

So much so that the DWP ministers have added a 'The £20 uplift' option on the journal entry option.

Yeah well some PBers (me) are actually on UC.

It isn't much fun.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

The news will doubtless be full of the clown assuring everybody that we can rely upon him to save Christmas?
    He really does upset you and yet he is polling near 40% and leads his rival as best PM

Maybe you need to be more constructive and put forward policies people could vote for and see him lose office
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

The cut in UC took effect in October so it will go up compared to their November income.
    But they'll compare it to the income of the previous 18 out 19 months rather than the last one?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

It's what Boris does.

Notice/create a problem.

Dither.

Avoid acting to solve it for so long that there's a painful gap between the problem and the solution.

Great politics- solving a problem makes you a hero, preempt a problem and nobody cares.

But it's rubbish leadership.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Biden took 85 cars to see the Pope. Quite the warm-up for COP 26.
    More important than handshake or kneel.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I await to see the male-only shortlists for primary school teachers.

Would you like to see that?
    What about women-only shortlists for.... custodial sentences?
    Yeah, and what about 'smug affluent middle-class PBtory bloke' shortlists for cleaning the bogs at London Bridge station?
    I wonder who gets Euston bogs? (following the discussion yesterday).
    Oh I missed that. Was there a quality convo about public toilets? Pity, I could have added serious value there, I reckon.
    It was a discussion of trains and rail travel which explored, amongst much else, the way in which Euston has become run down in the anticipation of HS2- one of us remarked that the bogs were abominable by global standards (I forget whom alas). And, remarkably, Leon discovering his current residence is featured in one of the Bourne prints showing the devastation the navvies building the original railway wrought up through Camden and Primrose Hill - the Chesham of their day, evidently.
    Ah, ok. Well I'll chip in now then! Euston is a hellhole. Wind sweeps across the concrete (even if it's not windy), people on their uppers huddle and hustle around, tattoos and shell suits galore, emaciated girls with bruises and no tights, commuters who all look either pissed up or pissed off, absolutely nobody wanting to be there, or if they do it's for lack of an alternative. I love it.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

But they'll compare it to the income of the previous 18 out 19 months rather than the last one?
    Perhaps. But I think it was a good move by Sunak anyway.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

There is a £500 million fund given to LA's to ameliorate the issue until the new scheme comes in on 1 December at the latest.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    edited October 2021

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

It's what Boris does.

Notice/create a problem.

Dither.

Avoid acting to solve it for so long that there's a painful gap between the problem and the solution.

Great politics- solving a problem makes you a hero, preempt a problem and nobody cares.

But it's rubbish leadership.
    I dont know , plenty of CEO's I have come across adopt that very strategy - and think they are wonderful at leadership in their egotistical ways
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Gloomy Christmas if we get the King addressing us at 3 o clock
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Biden took 85 cars to see the Pope. Quite the warm-up for COP 26.
    More important than handshake or kneel.

That's the Secret Service though?

Because of the way things work, the Secret Service doesn't work for Biden, they work for Congress, who set the parameters for protection.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

They might when their deductions start in April.
    More likely their 6.6% pay rise
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,514
    Penelope Jackson case is an interesting one. I wonder if it will become a cause celebre over alleged coercive control and domestic violence. It does sound as if the jury didn't believe it.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

There is a £500 million fund given to LA's to ameliorate the issue until the new scheme comes in on 1 December at the latest.
    But that's bugger all.

The UC uplift cost £6 billion per year, so every £1 cut only 8p is being covered by that fund.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Personally - I think a bit more "equality of outcome" as opposed to "equality of opportunity" wouldn't go amiss.
    :smile: - Totally. You have it there. You have it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,081

Plan B now. In a few weeks I think we will regret not taking action now.

Have a coffee, you seem to be drunk and hysterical.
    No just concerned about a virus that kills people and has put one my friends in hospital.
    If that's true I hope your friend gets better soon.

But that's not an excuse for "Plan B" or restrictions.

People getting sick isn't a reason to lock the country down, its the reason we have hospitals in the first place.
    If that’s true? Are you calling me a liar?
    You called me a liar earlier. A bit late to be precious about it.
  • Options
    The Tory wankfest has returned
  • Options

Foxy said:

RobD said:

What do you think the inflation rate and the NI increase will do to that pay rise?
  • Options
    Our tax boffins tell me that the cost of the alcohol tax changes would have covered 60% of the UC uplift.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Foxy said:

Penelope Jackson case is an interesting one. I wonder if it will become a cause celebre over alleged coercive control and domestic violence. It does sound as if the jury didn't believe it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/29/penelope-jackson-guilty-stabbing-husband-death

But addressing the court, David Jackson’s estranged daughter from a former marriage, Jane Calverley, accused Penelope Jackson of being the abuser in the relationship and suggested she had “taken advantage” of a culture that does not support male victims of domestic abuse.

“My father was a proud man and this consequently cost him his life. He would not seek help from someone bullying, berating and psychologically controlling him because he would have viewed that as a man he should not be experiencing this and felt shame,” she said.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    What will be the effect on the practical lives of Brits if the Queen does die? I knwo there will be official mourning but what does that mean beside a lot of Nicolas Witchell and everyone looking really sad on TV ? Will shops shut ,cinemas close etc?
  • Options

Have a coffee, you seem to be drunk and hysterical.
    No just concerned about a virus that kills people and has put one my friends in hospital.
    If that's true I hope your friend gets better soon.

But that's not an excuse for "Plan B" or restrictions.

People getting sick isn't a reason to lock the country down, its the reason we have hospitals in the first place.
    If that’s true? Are you calling me a liar?
    You called me a liar earlier. A bit late to be precious about it.
    I said if somebody has legitimate reasons for being exempt that's different, otherwise it's laziness or lying about being exempt. I wear a mask, if you don't have a legitimate reason on TfL services at least you're breaking the rules and that's on you
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

But that's bugger all.

The UC uplift cost £6 billion per year, so every £1 cut only 8p is being covered by that fund.
    It helps the worse effected and 2 million will see the UC cut reversed from 1st December
  • Options

What will be the effect on the practical lives of Brits if the Queen does die? I knwo there will be official mourning but what does that mean beside a lot of Nicolas Witchell and everyone looking really sad on TV ? Will shops shut ,cinemas close etc?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited October 2021
    If you can't be bothered to wear a mask then I don't have a lot of sympathy for you tbh, on TfL services it is required and part of the conditions of carriage, so unless you're legitimately exempt, then I stand by calling people either liars or lazy
  • Options

Yeah, it'll be lockdown with all fun things postponed.

This from 2017 gives a good indicator.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge
  • Options

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Far more get the new NI surcharge than get paid the minimum wage. Add in 4% inflation and that payrise is trivial for the workers that get it.

The pensioners won't be bothered of course.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

By my back of the fag paper maths, anyone working full time will be directly better off with the taper cut than they were with the £20 uplift.

Indirectly they'll be much better off due to the easing of the poverty trap.

If anyone isn't working, they can get a job. We have full employment.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

But that's bugger all.

It helps the worse effected and 2 million will see the UC cut reversed from 1st December
    Do you have a citation for that?
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Are you able to spot the flaw in your logic there?
  • Options

If you can't be bothered to wear a mask then I don't have a lot of sympathy for you tbh, on TfL services it is required and part of the conditions of carriage, so unless you're legitimately exempt, then I stand by calling people either liars or lazy

i was on the tube and DLR yesterday and did not wear a mask and neither did about 60% . People really dont like them
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

No.

Full employment is an economics term, it doesn't mean literally every single person is employed.
  • Options

i was on the tube and DLR yesterday and did not wear a mask and neither did about 60% . People really dont like them
    Not liking something is not a good reason to not wear a mask, when it is a requirement of travelling on those surfaces and it protects those around you. You and that lot are selfish and I have no sympathy for you at all.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited October 2021

The plans are known in detail.

But at its most basic, even if you are a royalist, avoid television for two weeks. And on the day probably several things will close early, but most not I suspect. So practical effect looks like not that much.

And I don't think there's an 'If' about it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

Biden meets Macron:

@ABC
    "What happened was, to use an English phrase, what we did was clumsy," Pres. Biden says during meeting with French Pres. Macron about the recent U.S. snub of France for nuclear submarine technology in favor of Australia.

"France is an extremely, extremely valued partner."

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1454135251056447491

Why did Biden need to tell people he was speaking English? Does he normally speak a different language?
  • Options

Not liking something is not a good reason to not wear a mask, when it is a requirement of travelling on those surfaces and it protects those around you. You and that lot are selfish and I have no sympathy for you at all.
    I don't think he's looking for your sympathy though.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/29/penelope-jackson-guilty-stabbing-husband-death

But addressing the court, David Jackson’s estranged daughter from a former marriage, Jane Calverley, accused Penelope Jackson of being the abuser in the relationship and suggested she had “taken advantage” of a culture that does not support male victims of domestic abuse.

“My father was a proud man and this consequently cost him his life. He would not seek help from someone bullying, berating and psychologically controlling him because he would have viewed that as a man he should not be experiencing this and felt shame,” she said.
    Yes, I see that the jury didn't believe her defence (by 10 to 2) but I suspect that we haven't heard the end of it.

What sort of evidence would be required to prove it by either party?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Yes, I see that the jury didn't believe her defence (by 10 to 2) but I suspect that we haven't heard the end of it.

Some from the prosecution made the point that he isn't here to give his side of the story...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

But at its most basic, even if you are a royalist, avoid television for two weeks. And on the day probably several things will close early, but most not I suspect. So practical effect looks like not that much.

The London Bridge plans might have been revised after complaints about DofE RIP overkill.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

No.

Full employment is an economics term, it doesn't mean literally every single person is employed.
    I'm well aware that's it's an economic term meaning 5pc.

However it is not so disconnected from the real world.

My gaps on my CV are massive so it is not so easy for me to get a job "they can get a job" just isn't true.
  • Options

I don't think he's looking for your sympathy though.
    Good because he's not getting it.

If you want to not wear a mask and break the rules then that's up to you - but then I bet you lot will be the first to throw the book when somebody does something wrong
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

She did stab him three times including once when he was on the phone saying he had been wounded!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Thats good then and fair play to not going OTT .
  • Options

kle4 said:

The London Bridge plans might have been revised after complaints about DofE RIP overkill.
    I very much doubt it. It would always be too much for many people, but I cannot see the media underdoing it for Her Majesty because of the DoE.

Cynically, a lot of the material will already have been prepared and why waste it?
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

By my back of the fag paper maths, anyone working full time will be directly better off with the taper cut than they were with the £20 uplift.

Except, I'll state this again, UC isn't just a de facto unemployment benefit, it merged things for people who cannot work/work more hours.

The taper relief makes no impact for them.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Biden met Blair?
    My understanding is that he converted because he had been given assurances by the Bishop of Rome that beatification was on the cards, and that there'd be no need to wait for that whole "death" thing first.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

She did stab him three times including once when he was on the phone saying he had been wounded!
    No one denies she did the stabbing.
  • Options

Our tax boffins tell me that the cost of the alcohol tax changes would have covered 60% of the UC uplift.

Absolutely no reason to keep the uplift.

Even if 100% of the uplift could be kept, that entire 100% should go on reducing the taper instead.

That'd leave those working for a living even better off than they were with the uplift - and the poverty trap addressed so that the unemployed will be better off if they work.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Thats good then and fair play to not going OTT .
    It is only my suspicion, I wouldn't plan for me being right. On anything really.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841

kle4 said:

That was simply the warm-up act. London Bridge is going to be like nothing any of us have seen before, even those few who remember 1952.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Far more get the new NI surcharge than get paid the minimum wage. Add in 4% inflation and that payrise is trivial for the workers that get it.

The pensioners won't be bothered of course.
    Pensioners are at 3.1% but I am grateful for any rise in these times
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

That was simply the warm-up act. London Bridge is going to be like nothing any of us have seen before, even those few who remember 1952.
    It's going to be 1997 on speed.

I'll think I'll take a foreign holiday for a month or so when London Bridge falls.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Except, I'll state this again, UC isn't just a de facto unemployment benefit, it merged things for people who cannot work/work more hours.

Then they should work. 🤷‍♂️

We have full employment and the ability to work from home. If you want more money then work for it.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

No one denies she did the stabbing.
    if anything it shows how lockdown is bad for people . A fact often forgot when people only count covid deaths as if that all that matters or indeed when wanting people trussed up in masks forever in some kind of non social interaction hell
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I very much doubt it. It would always be too much for many people, but I cannot see the media underdoing it for Her Majesty because of the DoE.

Cynically, a lot of the material will already have been prepared and why waste it?
    It will be the Duke plus Diana, squared. It is a known fact that 93% of British people have had dreams about the Queen coming to tea. They don't dream that about Phil or Di.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Joe Biden is a Catholic, but he is also President of the United States.

And if you are expecting a sitting POTUS to kiss ANYONE's ring (except for #45 with his mentor Putin, he certainly kissed his "ring" often enough) you are nuttier than even I think you are.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

We have full employment and the ability to work from home. If you want more money then work for it.
    You keep using this "full employment" term but don't seem understand the laws of supply and demand.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

I suggest you read up on things like the Employment and Support Allowance which is being phased into Universal Credit before making ignorant comments like that.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

And if you are expecting a sitting POTUS to kiss ANYONE's ring (except for #45 with his mentor Putin, he certainly kissed his "ring" often enough) you are nuttier than even I think you are.
    Nope.

If I met who I thought to be was God's representative on earth I would kneel.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

You keep using this "full employment" term but don't seem understand the laws of supply and demand.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. There's great demand right now for labour up and down the country.

If anyone doesn't have a job, now is the time to go and get one - and the government has just rightly cut the tax on getting one.

That's better than a handout. Keep more of your own money you work for instead.
  • Options

Of course they don't like them! Masks are horrible things, and I'll throw a party when I get to burn mine.

But given the way that Covid accumulates in enclosed spaces with lots of people (and remember that probably the most dangerous job on a deaths per hour of work was bus driver), it's common courtesy to wear them on crowded public transport. Just as it's common courtesy to cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
  • Options

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Yeah. That's not a good look.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Nope.

If I met who I thought to be was God's representative on earth I would kneel.
    Catholic leaders have rarely let the Catholic part overrule the second part.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    edited October 2021

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Yes. Those who have suffered the most in the budget are those who cannot, for whatever reason, work, or work few hours and can't increase them. They have been well and truly shafted. They don't benefit from the UC taper, their benefits are far too low, and they are going to really struggle with the rises in the cost of energy, food etc. and inflation generally.

If I were a cynic, I'd suggest that the government knows this full well. They also know that this poorest 10% either don't vote or don't vote Tory if they do.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. There's great demand right now for labour up and down the country.

If anyone doesn't have a job, now is the time to go and get one - and the government has just rightly cut the tax on getting one.

Well the gaps on my CV are too great for potential employers to stomach.

Until that changes I'll be unemployed during a period of "full employment"
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Yes. Those who have suffered the most in the budget are those who cannot, for whatever reason, work, or work few hours and can't increase them. They have been well and truly shafted. They don't benefit from the UC taper, their benefits are far too low, and they are going to really struggle with the rises in the cost of energy, food etc. and inflation generally.

If I were a cynic, I'd suggest that the government knows this full well. They also know that this poorest 10% either don't vote or don't vote Tory if they do.
    That's the view of my friend.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

I suggest you read up on things like the Employment and Support Allowance which is being phased into Universal Credit before making ignorant comments like that.
    Yes and the ESA element if you have a limited capability for work is at a different rate to the generic UC for anyone else.

So if you wish for that to be raise higher then that's an argument to be made, but there's absolutely no reason to do so for everyone else who already get a lower rate than that.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Of course they don't like them! Masks are horrible things, and I'll throw a party when I get to burn mine.

But given the way that Covid accumulates in enclosed spaces with lots of people (and remember that probably the most dangerous job on a deaths per hour of work was bus driver), it's common courtesy to wear them on crowded public transport. Just as it's common courtesy to cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
    Given covid is no more fatal than flu at the moment (1 in 50 has it this week but only about 200 deaths ) then did you wear one pre covid because flu has always been here? time to move on and stop obsessing about it - just doing my bit for that
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Well then keep trying until you find an employer who is willing to stomach it. Many companies are doing so deliberately right now.

If you've given up I see no reason the state should pay you not to be looking though.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

rkrkrk said:

Basically agree, but plan B has a mix of stuff in there, some of which I'm not sure about.

We should definitely do all the low/no-cost stuff: bring back facemasks for public spaces/transit/buildings, encourage WFH. We should also be doing better ventilation in schools, workplaces. We could update the symptom guidelines which are out of date. We could be sorting out sick pay for people isolating.

Basically throw everything cheap and easy at this. Then hope it's enough.
    Your daily reminder that mandating masks in public spaces is not no cost.
    They cost less than a dollar each. Basically free.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited October 2021
    kle4 said:

French PM Jean Castex has sent a letter to Ursula von der Leyen, the Commission’s president, to notify her of Paris’ planned reprisals against the UK in the fish war. Castex asks for support because the EU needs to show ‘leaving the Union is more damaging than remaining in it’.

https://twitter.com/Barnes_Joe/status/1454110348005490693

Jean, that's what you say in the phone call, not the official letter. Do people just not even care about claiming the moral high ground anymore? That's actually a positive development.

So no substance, just the French are butt-hurt.

If it was not already clear it surely is now. France in not an ally of the UK.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Basically agree, but plan B has a mix of stuff in there, some of which I'm not sure about.

We should definitely do all the low/no-cost stuff: bring back facemasks for public spaces/transit/buildings, encourage WFH. We should also be doing better ventilation in schools, workplaces. We could update the symptom guidelines which are out of date. We could be sorting out sick pay for people isolating.

Not to the planet.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

The financial cost is not the only cost. 🙄
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Well then keep trying until you find an employer who is willing to stomach it. Many companies are doing so deliberately right now.

If you've given up I see no reason the state should pay you not to be looking though.
    Cool - thanks for the advice. To be honest suicide is a way out of my predicament but please don't tell anyone about that otherwise I'll have Police Scotland knocking my door.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

The fact that his estranged daughter said that he was the one being abused seems to have played a big part in this. I know of two men who were severely abused by their wives and it is quite a common occurance. One we worked with on the rigs in Norway. He would regularly come back to the rig black and blue and would claim it was because he was always getting into pub brawls. It was only after his wife made such a concerted attack on him that she fractured his skull that we found out she used to beat the shit out of him and he was too embarrassed to tell anyone.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Cool - thanks for the advice. To be honest suicide is a way out of my predicament but please don't tell anyone about that otherwise I'll have Police Scotland knocking my door.
    I’m really sorry to hear of your circs. Genuinely there are places to get help with gaining employment. And have you thought of volunteering in the interim? Apologies if this comes across patronising, but please ask for help.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Given covid is no more fatal than flu at the moment (1 in 50 has it this week but only about 200 deaths ) then did you wear one pre covid because flu has always been here? time to move on and stop obsessing about it - just doing my bit for that
    That's a little misleading, don't you think? The people most likely to have Covid right now are in the 5 to 15 age range, and they're highly unlikely to die of it. (Which, by the way, is great as it means it'll run through this cohort, and then remove a major vector of transmission.)

The people I'm with on the tube are highly likely to be a lot older, and therefore to have a much higher CFR.

I think wearing a mask in settings where there is substantially higher risk that I'll infect other people is common courtesy. It's not something I'd legally require (and if the tube wasn't busy I probably wouldn't worry), but I do try to avoid causing pain and suffering to my fellow man as a general rule, even if it involves some small discomfort for a 20 minute tube ride.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Some people are physically and/or mentally incapable of work. They really are. They're not malingerers. Indeed many may have worked for years or decades before becoming incapable of work. But shit happens. The fact you don't care is not an appealing trait.
    I'm quite OK with there being a higher rate for those who legitimately can't work and have been demonstrated that they can't - and that already happens. There is a higher rate for those with limited capabilities to work in the existing system.

For anyone else, they should be given the support to get back to work.

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to uplift someone who is able to work's rate, if they're not bothering to work. Do you?
This discussion has been closed.