Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer’s successor looks set to be one of these three – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

rcs1000 said:

Plan B now. In a few weeks I think we will regret not taking action now.

Have a coffee, you seem to be drunk and hysterical.
    No just concerned about a virus that kills people and has put one my friends in hospital.
    If that's true I hope your friend gets better soon.

But that's not an excuse for "Plan B" or restrictions.

People getting sick isn't a reason to lock the country down, its the reason we have hospitals in the first place.
    If that’s true? Are you calling me a liar?
    You called me a liar earlier. A bit late to be precious about it.
    I said if somebody has legitimate reasons for being exempt that's different, otherwise it's laziness or lying about being exempt. I wear a mask, if you don't have a legitimate reason on TfL services at least you're breaking the rules and that's on you
    It's not about being exempt. It's knowing that if it's not safe to be out unless people are wearing masks then it's not safe to be out at all, because the masks don't do much even if worn properly and precious few people are capable of that.

It's about whether we're still in an emergency or it's time to stop hiding.
    the masks don't do much even if worn properly and precious few people are capable of that

This is simply not true. There's the massive randomized study in Bangladesh with something like 300,000 people in it, and they looked at villages, and how many people were unmasked, how many were masked, and what kind of mask was worn.

There was a very significant impact on transmission associated with surgical masks, and a smaller one with cloth ones.
    It’s just wrong headed to think that masks don’t impact on the spread of Covid, they clearly do, there are decent studies to show they do. It is of course facile to point at wales and say they are not working, but to do so ignores the Swiss cheese model. Frankly it’s complicated.
    The arguments should be about the potential downsides of masks. Some people hate them and may go out less if mandated to wear them. The ridiculous theatre in pubs and restaurants of putting them on to go to the toilet. The general sense of something is wrong, scary that may harm mental health.
    It’s complicated. In a pure anti Covid sense it’s a slam dunk in favour of masks while we are still in this phase, I.e. the exit wave. But the other, more nebulous effects must be considered. Just as social distancing rules rendered some pubs etc unprofitable, so masks can have detrimental effects. Plus, some of us believe that we are enduring pain now (high cases) to avoid pain later. Parts of Europe may look at us with envy in January.
    This is spot on.

There's an enormous amount of cognitive dissonance here: people who (for very good reasons) are opposed to masks seek out reasons why they don't work, and seek to discredit studies that show that they do.

A more honest argument is: are the benefits of masks worth the societal costs?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

@Big_G_NorthWales you do realise how identifiable you are making your son, to anyone who can be bothered to find out? Obviously well meant, but you shouldn't be doing it.

Thank you but addressing mental health and potential suicide does sometimes require detail

I do accept your point but hope PB accepts it in the spirit it is given
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

@Big_G_NorthWales you do realise how identifiable you are making your son, to anyone who can be bothered to find out? Obviously well meant, but you shouldn't be doing it.

Thank you but addressing mental health and potential suicide does sometimes require detail

I do accept your point but hope PB accepts it in the spirit it is given
    PB can accept it or not as it likes, but there was no need to provide a precise date of birth for your son.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    edited October 2021

JBriskin3 said:

DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Palace Intrigue getting a lot of PB Airspace tonight; When we all know that Prince Charles will be King Something Else in a few years.

I'm more intrigued by Biden today.

If I was meeting God's representative on earth - I think a kneel more than a simple handshake might be more appropriate??

What about all the other faiths???
    Yes - I wasn't being clear enough. Biden seems to think a simple hand shake is required when he meets who he thinks is God's representative on earth.
    Joe Biden is a Catholic, but he is also President of the United States.

And if you are expecting a sitting POTUS to kiss ANYONE's ring (except for #45 with his mentor Putin, he certainly kissed his "ring" often enough) you are nuttier than even I think you are.
    Nope.

If I met who I thought to be was God's representative on earth I would kneel.
    If I met anyone who genuinely believed he was God’s representative on earth I think I would probably laugh. I mean, being polite, I would try not to, but seriously.
    Catholicism is the most believed religion in the world.
    Most attended.. not necessarily believed.eg. French Churches aiui are usually empty save for weddings and baptisms and funerals.
    Whatever - I just think it's a bit silly of a religion to believe that there is such a thing as God's represenstative on earth - But then I am Church of Scotland
  • Options
    On the subject of Covid, here's XKCD: https://xkcd.com/2535
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

FT Exclusive: @EmmanuelMacron warns Boris Johnson the UK’s international “credibility” is on the line in the Brexit disputes over fishing rights and Northern Ireland.

“Make no mistake, it is not just for the Europeans but all of their partners.”

https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1454161965450924036

Insisting on proof is such a bad thing?
    According to EU regulations, boats operating under the CFP in another member state's waters need to have remote tracking, so it should be easy to provide proof, unless they were previously breaking the rules.
    Indeed… although some of them claim that they had an old boat and now they have a new boat…
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    rcs1000 said:

Blimey xkcd - that's a blast from the past - Who's the guy in the hat??
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Plan B now. In a few weeks I think we will regret not taking action now.

Have a coffee, you seem to be drunk and hysterical.
    No just concerned about a virus that kills people and has put one my friends in hospital.
    If that's true I hope your friend gets better soon.

But that's not an excuse for "Plan B" or restrictions.

People getting sick isn't a reason to lock the country down, its the reason we have hospitals in the first place.
    If that’s true? Are you calling me a liar?
    You called me a liar earlier. A bit late to be precious about it.
    I said if somebody has legitimate reasons for being exempt that's different, otherwise it's laziness or lying about being exempt. I wear a mask, if you don't have a legitimate reason on TfL services at least you're breaking the rules and that's on you
    It's not about being exempt. It's knowing that if it's not safe to be out unless people are wearing masks then it's not safe to be out at all, because the masks don't do much even if worn properly and precious few people are capable of that.

It's about whether we're still in an emergency or it's time to stop hiding.
    the masks don't do much even if worn properly and precious few people are capable of that

This is simply not true. There's the massive randomized study in Bangladesh with something like 300,000 people in it, and they looked at villages, and how many people were unmasked, how many were masked, and what kind of mask was worn.

There was a very significant impact on transmission associated with surgical masks, and a smaller one with cloth ones.
    It’s just wrong headed to think that masks don’t impact on the spread of Covid, they clearly do, there are decent studies to show they do. It is of course facile to point at wales and say they are not working, but to do so ignores the Swiss cheese model. Frankly it’s complicated.
    The arguments should be about the potential downsides of masks. Some people hate them and may go out less if mandated to wear them. The ridiculous theatre in pubs and restaurants of putting them on to go to the toilet. The general sense of something is wrong, scary that may harm mental health.
    It’s complicated. In a pure anti Covid sense it’s a slam dunk in favour of masks while we are still in this phase, I.e. the exit wave. But the other, more nebulous effects must be considered. Just as social distancing rules rendered some pubs etc unprofitable, so masks can have detrimental effects. Plus, some of us believe that we are enduring pain now (high cases) to avoid pain later. Parts of Europe may look at us with envy in January.
    This is spot on.

There's an enormous amount of cognitive dissonance here: people who (for very good reasons) are opposed to masks seek out reasons why they don't work, and seek to discredit studies that show that they do.

A more honest argument is: are the benefits of masks worth the societal costs?
    Fwiw, the government recently published this on the subject of masks:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-and-covid-19-statement-from-an-expert-panel
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I hadn’t realised Facebook was taking “going viral” to the next level… Metapneumovirus
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Isn’t that letter from the French PM noting

“ the bloc must show 'total determination', and show 'there is more damage to leaving the Union than remaining'

Just more revealing on the insecurities of the bloc?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    edited October 2021

“ the bloc must show 'total determination', and show 'there is more damage to leaving the Union than remaining'

Whatever the faults of the current lot in Westminster, I simply cannot imagine them behaving like this towards an independent Scotland should that come to pass.*

Such an attitude is cynical, stupid and damaging.

And therefore utterly typical of Macron.

*Hyufd isn't in Westminster and is fortunately never likely to be.
  • Options

Not really. It seems like an obvious plea from France for the bloc to weigh in behind the French.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    ydoethur said:

Whatever the faults of the current lot in Westminster, I simply cannot imagine them behaving like this towards an independent Scotland should that come to pass.
    I fear that may be wishful thinking. I'd hope it was the case, but that our leaders would take a more professional and mature approach than emotional, but I think the latter is more likely, and there'd be a market for it on both sides.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    Officials fear the dispute could spiral into trade war if checks are stepped up at Calais

One diplomat: “I’m worried that London may not be taking seriously the French threat to choke the flow of freight and let empty shelves put pressure on the British”

https://www.ft.com/content/0409d72b-ed29-4076-ac6a-2080b4b59e72
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377

Well, they have got Poland kicking off. Tempestuous times
  • Options

Not really. It seems like an obvious plea from France for the bloc to weigh in behind the French.
    Even if France may be (and I don’t know) in the wrong here?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Officials fear the dispute could spiral into trade war if checks are stepped up at Calais

One diplomat: “I’m worried that London may not be taking seriously the French threat to choke the flow of freight and let empty shelves put pressure on the British”

Wonderfully noble of our European friends. It raises wonderful memories of the time
    macron suddenly imposed testing checks on truckers as a result of the Kent variant
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Whatever the faults of the current lot in Westminster, I simply cannot imagine them behaving like this towards an independent Scotland should that come to pass.
    I fear that may be wishful thinking. I'd hope it was the case, but that our leaders would take a more professional and mature approach than emotional, but I think the latter is more likely, and there'd be a market for it on both sides.
    I think the key differences are (1) the EU still think we will come crawling back if beaten up enough, which not even the most rabid Unionist would believe of Scotland and (2) they fear other countries might follow our example if we seem to be going OK, which again wouldn't really apply to Wales (the only other part of the UK with any mechanism to secede).

So I don't think we'd see in practice any talk of punishment. We would still have to live together on the same island and ultimately Conservatives are there, in their own conceit anyway, to do whatever works at the time.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Just sends more business to Amazon

I have not had a delay beyond their delivery dates in the years I have used them

In fact talking to family and friends it looks like a lot more Christmas buying is going to Amazon and online and actually starting now to get Christmas done asap
  • Options

Yes, and so far the EU doesn't seem to have been that interested in backing France up.

But this isn't really about French fishing boats. This Wag The Dog shit, where Macron is seeking to make political capital out of an argument with the old enemy. He's hoping that he can bring the EU in, and declare a famous victory (leading to his reelection next year).

It's pretty unedifying behaviour.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    edited October 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Palace Intrigue getting a lot of PB Airspace tonight; When we all know that Prince Charles will be King Something Else in a few years.

I'm more intrigued by Biden today.

If I was meeting God's representative on earth - I think a kneel more than a simple handshake might be more appropriate??

What about all the other faiths???
    Yes - I wasn't being clear enough. Biden seems to think a simple hand shake is required when he meets who he thinks is God's representative on earth.
    Joe Biden is a Catholic, but he is also President of the United States.

And if you are expecting a sitting POTUS to kiss ANYONE's ring (except for #45 with his mentor Putin, he certainly kissed his "ring" often enough) you are nuttier than even I think you are.
    Nope.

If I met who I thought to be was God's representative on earth I would kneel.
    If I met anyone who genuinely believed he was God’s representative on earth I think I would probably laugh. I mean, being polite, I would try not to, but seriously.
    Catholicism is the most believed religion in the world.
    Most attended.. not necessarily believed.eg. French Churches aiui are usually empty save for weddings and baptisms and funerals.
    Whatever - I just think it's a bit silly of a religion to believe that there is such a thing as God's represenstative on earth - But then I am Church of Scotland
    I agree..

My vicar, who happens to be a lady, is a splendid person who represents what a vicar should be/do. She, nor the person at Canterbury is God's representative on earth.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yes, and so far the EU doesn't seem to have been that interested in backing France up.

But this isn't really about French fishing boats. This Wag The Dog shit, where Macron is seeking to make political capital out of an argument with the old enemy. He's hoping that he can bring the EU in, and declare a famous victory (leading to his reelection next year).

Can you name a time when Macron's behaviour has been edifying?

He won because he was less awful than Le Pen.

Given his government's recent rhetoric on Islam, we can't even say that for certain any more.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

I think the key differences are (1) the EU still think we will come crawling back if beaten up enough, which not even the most rabid Unionist would believe of Scotland and (2) they fear other countries might follow our example if we seem to be going OK, which again wouldn't really apply to Wales (the only other part of the UK with any mechanism to secede).

So I don't think we'd see in practice any talk of punishment. We would still have to live together on the same island and ultimately Conservatives are there, in their own conceit anyway, to do whatever works at the time.
    I think (2) is much more at the front of their thoughts than (1).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

They won't be taking it seriously because it would be politically helpful if the French do that! A technical dispute no one but wonks cares about with the French action thus seeming disproportionate.

Additionally, if it causes empty shelves, and people associate that with French punitive actions, it probably means Boris would get away with other Brexit related problems not the fault of the French as people associate such problem with the perfidious Macron.

All in all, useful for both of them - I'd not be surprised if they are good mates.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    Just watched the Ashley Banjo: Britain in Black and White ITV programme - very interesting, worth viewing imo. (ITV Hub)
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

A Guardian analysis points out that Macron had his best result, last time, in Brittany. He needs the fishing vote. And the hard right - MLP, Zemmour, even Barnier Redux - is on his case

This has all the right ingredients to get quite spicy. Of course it assists Boris, as well. He can then blame any Brexit glitches on the dastardly Frogs, for the next year or so
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    rcs1000 said:

It's worked in this country for years. No reason it shouldn't work there,
    In fact Macron would be a fool not to try.
  • Options

Just watched the Ashley Banjo: Britain in Black and White ITV programme - very interesting, worth viewing imo. (ITV Hub)

And showed Jim Davidson up massively. What a tool.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a tactic politicians will always make use of. But recognising it as such it means that more genuine problems with Brexit matters will get lost as Macronian/Borisian types play very obvious games.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

Queen advised to rest for at least the next fortnight by the doctors.

London Bridge is going to fall down soon isn't it?

I hope not.

I wonder whether she's had some sort of minor stroke. Might explain the advice about giving up drinking.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a tactic politicians will always make use of. But recognising it as such it means that more genuine problems with Brexit matters will get lost as Macronian/Borisian types play very obvious games.
    Yes. It's a tactic. The faux outrage from those who used similar manoeuvres and who cheered them on is unedifying.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes. It's a tactic. The faux outrage from those who used similar manoeuvres and who cheered them on is unedifying.
    It works both ways. Those who expressed outrage at similar manoeuvres in the opposite direction in the past should also be expressing outrage at it in the other direction, or else prove the previous outrage as faux.

Either such behaviour is an outrage whoever does it, or it is just unedifying political tactics. I'd not be confident in historic consistency from many quarters.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

I wonder whether she's had some sort of minor stroke. Might explain the advice about giving up drinking.
    Ok reflection that seems an odd snippet to have leaked. Wtf business is it of ours?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    edited October 2021
    But will it necessarily play out well for Macron? It's doubtful he'll be able to turn it into an EU v UK matter unless the UK side has breached some agreement. But then does he back down quickly or escalate to non-fishing areas?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

Ok reflection that seems an odd snippet to have leaked. Wtf business is it of ours?
    Having made it to 95 in the first place seems a bit mean to take away the evening gin now.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

But will it necessarily play out well for Macron? It's doubtful he'll be able to turn it into an EU v UK matter unless the UK side has breached some agreement. But then does he back down quickly or escalate to non-fishing areas?

Whether it plays out well may be immaterial depending on how well he thinks he is doing politically generally, and what options he thinks are open to him to attempt a distraction.

I expect him to be re-elected, but he does seem nervy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

Whether it plays out well may be immaterial depending on how well he thinks he is doing politically generally, and what options he thinks are open to him to attempt a distraction.

I expect him to be re-elected, but he does seem nervy.
    But that is what I mean, of course!

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

If they hope she will make some state banquets in the next years, it might be something worth getting out in the open.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

Having made it to 95 in the first place seems a bit mean to take away the evening gin now.
    My thought entirely, and it's not like anyone can tell whether it's gin or mineral water
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

My thought entirely, and it's not like anyone can tell whether it's gin or mineral water
    There was a certain European politician who thought that and it wasn't true.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

My mother has just reached 93 and is in the last period of her life according to the medics. Alcohol is the last thing on her mind.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Meta translates as sounds like "dead" in Hebrew apparently.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59090067
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Foss said:

kle4 said:

What will be the effect on the practical lives of Brits if the Queen does die? I knwo there will be official mourning but what does that mean beside a lot of Nicolas Witchell and everyone looking really sad on TV ? Will shops shut ,cinemas close etc?

The plans are known in detail.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

But at its most basic, even if you are a royalist, avoid television for two weeks. And on the day probably several things will close early, but most not I suspect. So practical effect looks like not that much.

And I don't think there's an 'If' about it.
    The London Bridge plans might have been revised after complaints about DofE RIP overkill.
    Anything but Nicolas Witchell. Charles is not a fan....
    It's still possible she could outlive him.
    We can all row in behind the notion that HM the Q outlives Nicholas Witchell....
  • Options
    You know what, I've got this tiny feeling IT CAME FROM THE LAB

"3 takeaways from the recently released EcoHealth grant proposals & reports:

1. By March 2018, they had a roadmap for detecting & inserting novel rare (furin) cleavage sites into novel low risk SARS-like viruses.

2. By 2019, chimeric human pathogen MERS-CoV research was ongoing.

3. Several groups of people were aware of either one or both of the points above and decided not to say anything about it for close to 2 years since SARS2 emerged in Wuhan."

https://twitter.com/Ayjchan/status/1454083865556000775?s=20
  • Options
    edited October 2021

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

My mother has just reached 93 and is in the last period of her life according to the medics. Alcohol is the last thing on her mind.
    Sorry to hear that @squareroot2 - best wishes to her and to you.

But regarding HMQ giving up drinking, I agree with @kle4 @IshmaelZ - why on earth was that piece of medical news released?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I wonder how he's planning on dragging this out until the election date without getting embarrassed?
  • Options
    Leon said:

1. By March 2018, they had a roadmap for detecting & inserting novel rare (furin) cleavage sites into novel low risk SARS-like viruses.

3. Several groups of people were aware of either one or both of the points above and decided not to say anything about it for close to 2 years since SARS2 emerged in Wuhan."

Tbh I stopped reading your post after mention of 'rare cleavage sites' in point 1.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

Sorry to hear it, but I don't have enough context to know what message to take from that.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Foss said:

kle4 said:

What will be the effect on the practical lives of Brits if the Queen does die? I knwo there will be official mourning but what does that mean beside a lot of Nicolas Witchell and everyone looking really sad on TV ? Will shops shut ,cinemas close etc?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

But at its most basic, even if you are a royalist, avoid television for two weeks. And on the day probably several things will close early, but most not I suspect. So practical effect looks like not that much.

The London Bridge plans might have been revised after complaints about DofE RIP overkill.
    We can all row in behind the notion that HM the Q outlives Nicholas Witchell....
    Not me. I like Witchell more than I like Brenda.
  • Options

geoffw said:

I wonder how he's planning on dragging this out until the election date without getting embarrassed?
    Doesn't need to drag on continuously, just escalate and deescalate, to keep things bubbling for a nice juicy confrontation to cement the impression closer to it. Until then, a series of diplomatic chevauchée.
  • Options

Leon said:

Tbh I stopped reading your post after mention of 'rare cleavage sites' in point 1.
    Meh. I was right. I've said it came from the lab since about June of last year. I am vindicated, Ignore all you want
  • Options

geoffw said:

It's about winning, it's about creating an external enemy.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

Odd. I can't understand disliking Brenda, but if you do surely someone parasitic on her is even worse?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

Thoughts and kind wishes to all your family

These are difficult days to face
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

But regarding HMQ giving up drinking, I agree with @kle4 @IshmaelZ - why on earth was that piece of medical news released?
    Because what was released was “doctors have recommended and she has agreed”

Ie she is awake and rational
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Meh. I was right. I've said it came from the lab since about June of last year. I am vindicated, Ignore all you want
    Lol - you may well be right, or you may not be.

I can't really get exercised by it. If you're right, what practical difference would it make? I already know China is a nasty, controlling, dangerous regime... and thers f*ck all I (or the rest of the world, it seems) can do about it.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

It's about winning, it's about creating an external enemy.
    Yeah, but if he falls on his face over this, quite likely imo, his internal enemies will make hay.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    I wonder who leaked the letter to Von Der Leyen? The full quote makes it clear that Castex is worried about European public opinion needing to be shown that Brexit is damaging.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1454180320169930753
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    Farooq said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

I find the concept of The Royal Correspondent a bit strange. I mean is Whitchell allowed to report on anything else? Or just royal stuff? And with the heir to thrown widely reported to despise him. Weird.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Blimey xkcd - that's a blast from the past - Who's the guy in the hat??
    It's the police officer who arrested you for "doing nothing" on Union Street
  • Options

Farooq said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

I find the concept of The Royal Correspondent a bit strange. I mean is Whitchell allowed to report on anything else? Or just royal stuff? And with the heir to thrown widely reported to despise him. Weird.
    Yeah, it's weird. HE'S weird. But still..
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-reigning_monarchs

I'm a staunch supporter of the Queen (but not the Monarchy). She's got to get number one and displace the French.

May 27th 2024.

That's 25 days after the next general election if the FTPA isn't repealed or circumvented.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Leon said:

Also: you should care. Because even if the lab leak hypothesis is wrong - chances of that are now sub-5% - the stuff that is being revealed about NIH, EcoHealth, Chinese labs, is absolutely chilling (and no one outside EcoHealth/Beijing disputes it, even the ultra-Zoonati)

EcoHealth proposed experiments so insane even Fauci said No Way (and he is very pro-Gain of Function, which is why he off-shored it to China after the ban in the USA)

Just one of these experiments was on another virus called Nipah.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2109/2109.09112.pdf

https://twitter.com/quay_dr/status/1450005470454824965?s=20

Covid-19 has a Case Fatality Ratio of about 1%.

Nipah has a CFR of maybe 75%

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/next-pandemic/nipah-virus

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I can't really get exercised by it. If you're right, what practical difference would it make? I already know China is a nasty, controlling, dangerous regime... and thers f*ck all I (or the rest of the world, it seems) can do about it.
    I am right, and as to one reason why my rightness is important, see my comment down below. These mad fuckers are doing science which could - literally - destroy humanity
  • Options
    Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

I never thought otherwise. I cannot see the need to put that message out in such a cryptic way; if it needed saying why not just say she is 'awake and rational'? Or even 'doctors have recommended she take a break for a few days and she has agreed'.

Does formally giving up drink carry some kind of significance for aristos that passes we hoi poloi by?
  • Options

I wonder who leaked the letter to Von Der Leyen? The full quote makes it clear that Castex is worried about European public opinion needing to be shown that Brexit is damaging.

Cui Bono?

France gets to show it is standing up for the whole EU by taking on the UK, probably a positive stance, and gets to show at home it is not just meekly doing whatever the EU wants but being proactive in seeking to make it act.

(That said I'm only going on the reported snippets as I cannot read it myself)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I am right, and as to one reason why my rightness is important, see my comment down below. These mad fuckers are doing science which could - literally - destroy humanity
    And, beyond worrying, I can do what exactly?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

I'm a staunch supporter of the Queen (but not the Monarchy). She's got to get number one and displace the French.

May 27th 2024.

That's 25 days after the next general election if the FTPA isn't repealed or circumvented.
    Is that the over/under line?

I would go under.
  • Options

It is enormously helpful to Boris, I'm not at all sure it helps France. My guess is some German or Dutchman (or Pole?) saw a chance to rein in Macron - and make him look a bit mad
  • Options

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

I never thought otherwise. I cannot see the need to put that message out in such a cryptic way; if it needed saying why not just say she is 'awake and rational'? Or even 'doctors have recommended she take a break for a few days and she has agreed'.

Does formally giving up drink carry some kind of significance for aristos that passes we hoi poloi by?
    Yeah when it gets to the stage where they might accidentally pass the port to the right, lines have to be drawn
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

Odd. I can't understand disliking Brenda, but if you do surely someone parasitic on her is even worse?
    It's not like he's parasitic on her... he doesn't take her money or time or precious bodily fluids.
    But since you bring parasitism up..
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We do still live in democracies - I hope. We are not helpless Chinese peons.

Public opinion must see the guilty parties brought to justice, and scientists must be told Fuck This Bubonic Shit
  • Options
    Foxy said:

May 27th 2024.

Is that the over/under line?

I would go under.
    The ONS life expectancy calculator gives 98 for a 95 yo female. Which, considering her somewhat better than average living conditions and medical support, should just about do it.
  • Options
    Best wishes @squareroot2 and mother. Take care of both of you.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    Get well soon, Liz.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Public opinion must see the guilty parties brought to justice, and scientists must be told Fuck This Bubonic Shit
    Bubonic??

I will write to my MP and ask him to request the Secretary of State for Justice to prosecute Xi Jinping.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    kle4 said:

Cui Bono?

France gets to show it is standing up for the whole EU by taking on the UK, probably a positive stance, and gets to show at home it is not just meekly doing whatever the EU wants but being proactive in seeking to make it act.

(That said I'm only going on the reported snippets as I cannot read it myself)
    I don't see this as helpful for Macron or France. A leading EU country calling on the EU to "damage" a former member state, to prove the folly of leaving the EU?

It sounds unhinged, even if it has its own cold logic. It was also a private letter. I reckon it was leaked to hurt French interests and/or specific politicians. It could just be some internal French rivalry: an enemy of Macron/Castex
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    Leon said:

I don't see this as helpful for Macron or France. A leading EU country calling on the EU to "damage" a former member state, to prove the folly of leaving the EU?

It sounds unhinged, even if it has its own cold logic. It was also a private letter. I reckon it was leaked to hurt French interests and/or specific politicians. It could just be some internal French rivalry: an enemy of Macron/Castex

What a weird way to find out that even with a decade + of zero use, my French appears to be better than that of... 99% of the Brexit commmentariat in the UK.

That letter *doesn't* say that the EU should hurt the UK to show that Brexit was a bad idea. It really just doesn't.

https://twitter.com/sylviademars/status/1454191198982316038
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

It's not like he's parasitic on her... he doesn't take her money or time or precious bodily fluids.
    Metaphors are either legitimate or not, you can't have it both ways.

You seem to have moved rather rapidly to the angry left since your very welcome arrival on the site. Just for the record, I shoot grouse, travel regularly to Ireland to h*nt the f*x, and used to thwack red deer on a regular basis. I don't say any of that to be contentious, just to undermine any consensus you think you are building
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Bubonic??

I will write to my MP and ask him to request the Secretary of State for Justice to prosecute Xi Jinping.
    Daszak is a British citizen, I believe. Certainly many of his colleagues are, and there were plenty of Brits amongst the signatories of the appalling, notorious Lancet letter. Large chunks of the British scientific establishment is implicated on what is now a clear cover-up of "lab leak" as a hypothesis in early 2020, preventing crucial scrutiny at the moment it was most needed

This shit matters, and UK Science has some explaining to do
  • Options
    A morbid thought but what happens if HMQ dies on the eve of, or during, the Cop26 conference?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

What a weird way to find out that even with a decade + of zero use, my French appears to be better than that of... 99% of the Brexit commmentariat in the UK.

That letter *doesn't* say that the EU should hurt the UK to show that Brexit was a bad idea. It really just doesn't.

No, it really does

He says, end of page one, that the EU must *show* (montrer) that it is more harmful to leave than to stay (qu'il y a davantage de dommages à quitter l'Union qu'à y demeurer).
  • Options

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

It’s a huge personal sacrifice for the good of her people. Or something
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

All good wishes. squareroot. for her and for you. One of the most difficult moments in life.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Speak for yourself.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

All good wishes. squareroot. for her and for you. One of the most difficult moments in life.
    "London Bridge is going to fall down soon isn't it?"

Nope. Years yet I think. I hope.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

Metaphors are either legitimate or not, you can't have it both ways.

You seem to have moved rather rapidly to the angry left since your very welcome arrival on the site. Just for the record, I shoot grouse, travel regularly to Ireland to h*nt the f*x, and used to thwack red deer on a regular basis. I don't say any of that to be contentious, just to undermine any consensus you think you are building
    To be honest, there's only one person qualified to place me into an ideological pigeon-hole, and it's not you.

It's HYUFD.

And since he works on timescales that predate what you would know to be the left (Marx is a century off in the future, and even Gracchus Babeuf is yet a whippersnapper), you're going to have to wait for his judgement on my politics.
  • Options

A morbid thought but what happens if HMQ dies on the eve of, or during, the Cop26 conference?

To be utterly cynical: Johnson gets out of a total hole as the whole thing is shaping up to be a flop.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It is enormously helpful to Boris, I'm not at all sure it helps France. My guess is some German or Dutchman (or Pole?) saw a chance to rein in Macron - and make him look a bit mad
    I don't think Macron is particularly popular with his other EU leaders.

The sceptical hate him for being in thrall to the EU. The europhile think him self centred and nationalistic.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

I'm the very opposite of being a doctor but to me, on tv, and bearing in mind she's 95, she looks quite good. Frail but with an aura of health. She doesn't look ill. Hopefully this post will not age badly.
  • Options
    French more decent than fellow Anglospherians shock.

• Options

Farooq said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

It's a BBC thing. Probably dates back to 1920s or whatever.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

No, it really does

He says, end of page one, that the EU must *show* (montrer) that it is more harmful to leave than to stay (qu'il y a davantage de dommages à quitter l'Union qu'à y demeurer).
    That says, There are disadvantages to leaving the Union just as there are disadvantages to staying in it.
  • Options

What’s Biden doing with his arm?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope not.

I'm the very opposite of being a doctor but to me, on tv, and bearing in mind she's 95, she looks quite good. Frail but with an aura of health. She doesn't look ill. Hopefully this post will not age badly.
    She has had a tough year though.

I don't think this would be being leaked if it were something minor.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

No, it really does

That says, There are disadvantages to leaving the Union just as there are disadvantages to staying in it.
    "that there is MORE damage to leaving the Union than in staying there"
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

No, it really does

Can you post a link to the letter?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053

The not-that-auld alliance.
  • Options

To be utterly cynical: Johnson gets out of a total hole as the whole thing is shaping up to be a flop.
    In all fairness, what does being the host mean in terms of being able to acheive anything from such an exercise? No more than anyone else present really.

Damn two timer.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

No, it really does

Can you post a link to the letter?
    https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1454180320169930753?s=20
This discussion has been closed.