Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer’s successor looks set to be one of these three – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

I await to see the male-only shortlists for primary school teachers.

Would you like to see that?
    Personally, no (you can’t say one form of positive discrimination is wrong and another is right) but something needs to be done in that area.
    Why can't one discriminate between different types of discrimination? I gave an example earlier.

Top uni has 100 places and 20,000 applicants all expecting to get the AAA criteria and with school reports saying they'd do great on the courses offered. The applicants are split 50/50 state v private school but the uni wants to favour state applicants and so splits its offers 75/25.

That's a world away from (eg) a merchant bank going, "We need a new CFO, let's get a black woman with a gammy leg, tick 3 boxes in one go, what?"

Exaggerating to make the point there obviously. But the point is surely right. You CAN be in favour of one form of positive discrimination but not another. Course you can.
    If there's 20,000 applicants all getting AAA and only 100 places, that's a failure of the letter system that we use. Not all A's will be the same, but they're all treated the same.

In Victoria, Australia when I lived there the locals did a system called the VCE which ranked people based upon percentile. The top people in the state would get 99.95, the next would get 99.9, then 99.85 etc down in 0.05 increments down to a bottom percentile of 30 (since 30% wouldn't sit the VCE or wouldn't pass).

That way there'd only be about 4 or 5 people statewide getting the same grade, instead of letters and everyone getting an A. Plus grade inflation is impossible in a percentile ranking.

Universities then could set the cut-off for applications at an exact percentile to fill the spots rather than sifting through tens of thousands on the "same" grade.
    Sounds good. Very very discriminating, as it were. But the issue doesn't go away.

I get 99.95 from a top school. You get 99.9 from one in Special Measures.

You've beaten me, really, haven't you? (just for once)

If there's one place going at BEST UNI that we both want, they should go with you, right? Or at least to go with you wouldn't be utterly outrageous and a violation of all that's good and true in this world, would it?
    If you wanted to do a 'handicap' based on schools then that would be analytics not positive discrimination.

Though it would make sense to do that based on schools etc not race.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    edited October 2021
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I await to see the male-only shortlists for primary school teachers.

Would you like to see that?
    What about women-only shortlists for.... custodial sentences?
    Yeah, and what about 'smug affluent middle-class PBtory bloke' shortlists for cleaning the bogs at London Bridge station?
    I wonder who gets Euston bogs? (following the discussion yesterday).
    Oh I missed that. Was there a quality convo about public toilets? Pity, I could have added serious value there, I reckon.
    It was a discussion of trains and rail travel which explored, amongst much else, the way in which Euston has become run down in the anticipation of HS2- one of us remarked that the bogs were abominable by global standards (I forget whom alas). And, remarkably, Leon discovering his current residence is featured in one of the Bourne prints showing the devastation the navvies building the original railway wrought up through Camden and Primrose Hill - the Chesham of their day, evidently.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

rkrkrk said:

Plan B now. In a few weeks I think we will regret not taking action now.

Basically agree, but plan B has a mix of stuff in there, some of which I'm not sure about.

We should definitely do all the low/no-cost stuff: bring back facemasks for public spaces/transit/buildings, encourage WFH. We should also be doing better ventilation in schools, workplaces. We could update the symptom guidelines which are out of date. We could be sorting out sick pay for people isolating.

Basically throw everything cheap and easy at this. Then hope it's enough.
    Your daily reminder that mandating masks in public spaces is not no cost.
    + it doesn't even work cf Scotland and England Covid rates during the Summer/Autumn.
    I'm going to copy and paste this as often as is needed:

I've been thinking about how to best explain why the "Wales / England, masks / maskless" comparisons don't work. It's a car analogy.

Person A: "Using winter tyres in the summer uses more petrol, so it's better to shift to summer tyres when it's warm."
    Person B: "Ah-ha, but I'm using winter tyres here in Norfolk and you're using summer tyres there in Braemar, and my fuel efficiency is the same as yours! Therefore it makes no difference!"
    Person A: "Yes, because I'm forever driving up steep hills, and you're not. It would be worse again for me if I was using winter tyres"

Obviously, this vignette also proves nothing, but try to keep it in mind when you think about bulk comparisons between two different places implementing different policies.

The claim is that masks lower infection rates compared to not using them.
    The claim is NOT that masks make your infection rates lower than unmasked places.

It's a subtlety that can easily be lost in a debate, but it's a vital one for any system where multiple independent variables control a dependent variable (which is say basically everything in the real world).
    I'm too drunk too understand the nuances in your argument. But I wear my mask in the local shop when most people don't seem to.
    Then I'll simplify it:
    you might well be saving their lives, so well done.
    I understood your point on re-reading. I don't really agree but I do wear my mask so a happy compromise.
    You don't really need to agree for me to be right. I won't tread on your opinion but on a point of scientific fact, masks work.
    If masks work then why the disparity in the Scotland and England Covid rates over the summer/autumn?

I've been thinking about how to best explain why the "Wales / England, masks / maskless" comparisons don't work. It's a car analogy.

Person A: "Using winter tyres in the summer uses more petrol, so it's better to shift to summer tyres when it's warm."
    Person B: "Ah-ha, but I'm using winter tyres here in Norfolk and you're using summer tyres there in Braemar, and my fuel efficiency is the same as yours! Therefore it makes no difference!"
    Person A: "Yes, because I'm forever driving up steep hills, and you're not. It would be worse again for me if I was using winter tyres"

Obviously, this vignette also proves nothing, but try to keep it in mind when you think about bulk comparisons between two different places implementing different policies.

The claim is NOT that masks make your infection rates lower than unmasked places.

It's a subtlety that can easily be lost in a debate, but it's a vital one for any system where multiple independent variables control a dependent variable (which is say basically everything in the real world).
    Also - the timing differences in peaks show prima facie that it is not a simple matter of masks causing covid.

Scotland is now (pace COP26) much lower in covid than England generally, but I haven't seen folk on here ascribing that entirely to the continuation of mask wearing.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited October 2021
    Queen advised to rest for at least the next fortnight by the doctors.

London Bridge is going to fall down soon isn't it?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

rcs1000 said:

Just to add to my bits of positive discrimination, I think academic admissions should concentrate on potential, not just on grades to date.

My daughter goes to a very pushy private school here in Los Angeles. I have absolutely no doubt that she will ace her SATs for college. But then so she should - she'll have been very intensively coached for them in a highly competitive environment. She will be achieving 99% of her best possible result.

For someone from a cash starved school (all the public money is going on historic pensions), and where parents didn't go to college, and just getting kids to graduate is the major goal of the teachers, then kids aren't going to be performing at 99% of their potential. Academic admissions should reflect that.

Yes. If you were a Cambridge admissions tutor for history, who has the most potential? The candidate with an A* from Eton, or the w/c candidate with an A* from Bootle comprehensive? Hard to tell, but I know which is the greater achievement.
    This gets more tricky if the same two candidates had, respectively, say A*A*A*,and A*AA. Would it be legitimate to positively discriminate in favour of the latter? On the grounds of potential, I'd suggest yes.
    If you've interviewed both the candidates and formed a view based on that, then you would be simply discriminating in the positive sense of the word.
    Plus you wouldn't just be substituting a lazy assumption about the equality of grades with a lazy assumption about the effect of schooling and the backgrounds of people who went to them.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    ·
    1h
    BREAKING: The European Commission has told member states that the role of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in the Northern Ireland Protocol is not up for discussion.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1454098540301541377?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, apologies, I missed your reply before.

I'm not in favour of limiting recruitment by sex. Because of the particular nature of primary school teachers (often providing parental figures for those either lacking one or both parents or as a better version if said parents are rather bad examples) and the heavily slanted sex composition of schoolteachers I would like to see a recruitment drive for male teachers to increase the numbers. I would not advocate either all-male shortlists or some sort of quota, however.

Well that would be positive discrimination - and I think I'd agree with it too. So, ok, you bridle at "quotas" and the like, but you can get behind positive discrimination where you see a real problem. Therefore it's a matter of where you see these real problems. Maybe that's restricted to 'too few men in primary teaching' but I'd be surprised if this were the case. I mean, there's so many high status arenas where women and/or certain minorities and/or working class people are underrepresented. There really is no doubt about that. It's simply a matter of do we wish to address it and if so how. My suspicion is that the answers are (i) not really and (ii) n/a. I think we're oddly attached to privilege in this country. We quite like it, including many of those who don't have it. We find it a comfortable notion.
    If by positive discrimination all you mean is adverts targeted at a group that don’t normally apply for a particular job persuading them to give it a try, then I don’t think anyone would have a problem with it.
    Drat! Because I do mean more than that. Show me a determination to tackle inequality in a way that nobody has a problem with and I'll show you a determination not to tackle inequality.
  • Options

During COP26 perhaps?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

How soon after do you expect to be told IRL?
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    ·
    1h
    BREAKING: The European Commission has told member states that the role of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in the Northern Ireland Protocol is not up for discussion.

Article 16 FTW then.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    ·
    1h

Looks like the end of the protocol unless common sense is applied by both sides and urgently
  • Options

During COP26 perhaps?
    I'm in London between the 25th of November and the 28th of November, I would greatly appreciate if Brenda can delay things until after that. I have non refundable tickets and hotel rooms and don't want to see them become unusable.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Quite possibly not, although if this turns into a permanent physical decline that limits her ability to discharge her role then the time will have come for retirement.

If the Queen point blank refuses to abdicate then that's no barrier: the mechanism exists to declare a Regency.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Quite possibly not, although if this turns into a permanent physical decline that limits her ability to discharge her role then the time will have come for retirement.

If the Queen point blank refuses to abdicate then that's no barrier: the mechanism exists to declare a Regency.
    I'm going to ask Shadsy to put up a market on who the Regent shall be.

My money will be going on Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

pigeon said:

Perhaps a well-known resident of Regent's Park, Peter Mandelson.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Less than a third of people view it as having a negative effect on them or the country is "falling apart"?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996

During COP26 perhaps?
    I'm in London between the 25th of November and the 28th of November, I would greatly appreciate if Brenda can delay things until after that. I have non refundable tickets and hotel rooms and don't want to see them become unusable.
    Why would they become unusable?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

JBriskin3 said:

Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    ·
    1h

Looks like the end of the protocol unless common sense is applied by both sides and urgently
    hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Yes. Doctors haven't seriously prescribed "rest" since they started working out how to actually cure stuff, two centuries back
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    IanB2 said:

Well, as Mike can confirm, I was told about an hour before the world (and indeed before the Queen was) that David Cameron (pbuh) was going to resign as Prime Minister.

So I'm hopeful I'll be told before Charles will be.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

rkrkrk said:

Basically agree, but plan B has a mix of stuff in there, some of which I'm not sure about.

We should definitely do all the low/no-cost stuff: bring back facemasks for public spaces/transit/buildings, encourage WFH. We should also be doing better ventilation in schools, workplaces. We could update the symptom guidelines which are out of date. We could be sorting out sick pay for people isolating.

Basically throw everything cheap and easy at this. Then hope it's enough.
    Your daily reminder that mandating masks in public spaces is not no cost.
    + it doesn't even work cf Scotland and England Covid rates during the Summer/Autumn.

I'm too drunk too understand the nuances in your argument. But I wear my mask in the local shop when most people don't seem to.
    Then I'll simplify it:
    you might well be saving their lives, so well done.
    I understood your point on re-reading. I don't really agree but I do wear my mask so a happy compromise.
    You don't really need to agree for me to be right. I won't tread on your opinion but on a point of scientific fact, masks work.
    If masks work then why the disparity in the Scotland and England Covid rates over the summer/autumn?

Also - the timing differences in peaks show prima facie that it is not a simple matter of masks causing covid.

Scotland is now (pace COP26) much lower in covid than England generally, but I haven't seen folk on here ascribing that entirely to the continuation of mask wearing.
    Everyone has pet theories about the *why* of each peak. I seem only to find reasons why each idea is not correct.

For example the recent decline in cases in England isn't caused by half term (peaked around the 16th) and isn't due to everyone being on holiday (positivity)
  • Options

pigeon said:

"Regent"? I think you mis-spelt Lord Protector, in that case.....
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    pigeon said:

I seem to recall reading that HMQ would, basically, retire to Balmoral when Prince Philip passed. That certainly hasn't happened and up until very recently she has seemed very prominent. Maybe HM has just overdone it a bit. Hope it's just that.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263

Based on the record of hospital stories for previous elderly royals, and for old people generally, I'd say she still has a few years at least.

Unless there's a whole bunch of other hospital visits that we've not been told about.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Well, as Mike can confirm, I was told about an hour before the world (and indeed before the Queen was) that David Cameron (pbuh) was going to resign as Prime Minister.

If you buy shares in Interflora in that hour, is it insider trading?
  • Options

pigeon said:

Nah, he'll solemnly announce that the Queen's final act was to appoint him Duke of Windsor.
  • Options

During COP26 perhaps?
    I think the thing we all need to know is has Mike got any holidays booked?
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

To be honest, an all woman shortlist might be the only way Labour elects a female leader. And even then I'm not convinced that they wouldn't mess it up!

Would physically-male-candidates-who-self-identify-as-women* be allowed to stand

* genuine question - am so confused by the right words now… there must be a snappier way of describing someone like that?
    Transwomen.

Sorry to hear about the confusion over words. I'm sure it's nothing. Did you get your 8 hours last night?
    I start from the position of not wishing to inadvertently cause offence. As the topic is so fast moving and controversial and I don’t really care enough to follow it in detail I didn’t want to make a mistake
    Yes, sorry, my snark wasn't apt there. Thought you were pushing the old "oh lord, what DO you call these types these days?" general reactionary trope - ho ho and yawn yawn - but I now sense you weren't. I'm a bit 'off' today, not sure why. Probably because I've been staying in the Cotswolds. That can mess with your head a bit.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Yes. Doctors haven't seriously prescribed "rest" since they started working out how to actually cure stuff, two centuries back
    I was told to rest after a bout of pneumonia: should I have been more worried?
  • Options
    French PM Jean Castex has sent a letter to Ursula von der Leyen, the Commission’s president, to notify her of Paris’ planned reprisals against the UK in the fish war. Castex asks for support because the EU needs to show ‘leaving the Union is more damaging than remaining in it’.

https://twitter.com/Barnes_Joe/status/1454110348005490693
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Why should one expect every profession to reflect the make up of society at large?

When they are making laws for society at large, frankly or even serving them coffee, then I think they absolutely should do.
    You were an army officer. Should the army operate on the basis that 51% of its officer class must be be female, 15% from ethnic minorities, 93% from State schools etc.?
    I struggle to see how the army would be worse if so. The entry requirements are the entry requirements.

And I've got to believe that we are close to that for those last two (ethnic minorities and state schools, although it probably repays some googling).

Edit: 12.9% ethnic minorities in the army it seems from Google.
    And had you been turned down, because your particular social group had reached its quota for that year, would you consider that fair?

Edit: I do note that in 2019 49% of officer cadets came from private schools, compared to 7% of the population.
    Where did you get that figure from? It is misleading at best: 7% of the school age population are at private schools, but as many mix and match the proportion that spend some time at a private school is over double: 18% of sixth-formers are at an independent school according to wiki.
    Fair point. Btu, certainly, the army officer class is disproportionately drawn from the privately educated.
    How many state schools have CCF contingents (and I know some do from direct experience: in most schools seeing some of your pupils with weapons would lead to a panicked call to the Head or even the police, in that one you just thought “must be Thursday” and moved on).
    Mine does.

Not that some of them need an excuse to carry weapons, tbf.
    I once confiscated a sword...
    Never been that far. A kukri is the best one I've had to deal with.
    When I was about 13, I bough a hunking great Kukri from a stall at the Ideal Home Exhibition at the NEC.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Nah, he'll solemnly announce that the Queen's final act was to appoint him Duke of Windsor.
    Solemnly? Boris? No.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Less than a third of people view it as having a negative effect on them or the country is "falling apart"?
    This budget is popular according to Opinium

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1453787187661713414?t=i_P3HcwzYN0UJkn-qADTBw&s=19
  • Options
    OT tennis. Raducanu a set down in Transylvania.
  • Options

During COP26 perhaps?
    He hasn't informed me and normally he tells me a couple of months in advance.
  • Options

French PM Jean Castex has sent a letter to Ursula von der Leyen, the Commission’s president, to notify her of Paris’ planned reprisals against the UK in the fish war. Castex asks for support because the EU needs to show ‘leaving the Union is more damaging than remaining in it’.

Bitterness unrestrained
  • Options
    Prince Andrew is going to be part of the Regency Council isn't he?
  • Options
    Since we're hot on the Sci-fi metaphors at the moment-

Has Herdson Sublimed?

David Herdson
    @DavidHerdson
    ·
    3m
    I don't think I'm going all conspiracy theory here to suggest that we're not being given the whole picture.

You don't *extend* an advised period of rest by this much unless the problem it's designed to deal with has worsened
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

I'm like Caesar's wife.
  • Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It seems that Facebook could have done a bit more research before picking the name Meta:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59090067

I always forget how close to Arabic Hebrew is. Maut is death in Arabic.

Meta is a trendy new word/concept that will date quickly.
    Metaverse

In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

The Metaverse was a communal VR environment started by by hackers, but largely owned by corporate interests

Zuckerberg is probably L. Bob Rife.

I doubt he will listen to Reason.
    Zuckerberg wishes he was L Bob Rife.
    If he tries to buy an old aircraft carrier, I am going to buy some rebar. And a Rat Thing. And a motorcycle with a sidecar......
    It's what's in the sidecar and how it's triggered that counts.
    If he's after a supercarrier, he'd better be quick and get one of the current two being decommissioned.

Next one due in the USN is the Nimitz I think, and all the ones from here are nucleonic.

Which is a bit tough to remove 50 years of radioactivity from.
  • Options

During COP26 perhaps?
    He hasn't informed me and normally he tells me a couple of months in advance.
    Then relax, HM should be safe until you get that notification.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Has Herdson Sublimed?

David Herdson
    @DavidHerdson
    ·
    3m
    I don't think I'm going all conspiracy theory here to suggest that we're not being given the whole picture.

You don't *extend* an advised period of rest by this much unless the problem it's designed to deal with has worsened

David makes the point I was going to raise.

Going by this schedule, HM is due to return to her normal duties with the Remembrance Day service.

That's an unmovable commitment unless she really is very unwell.

If she misses that...
  • Options

Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

I'm like Caesar's wife.
    You self-harm?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

JBriskin3 said:

Has Herdson Sublimed?

David Herdson
    @DavidHerdson
    ·
    3m

Going by this schedule, HM is due to return to her normal duties with the Remembrance Day service.

If she misses that...
    Doesn't she watch from a third floor window these days?

I think it's pretty obvious what the issue is. Not sure why they won't just say it.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

You lucky bastard.

Unless this was only a day or 2 ago, in which case nice knowing you.

• Options

Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

I'm like Caesar's wife.
    You self-harm?
    Well I've spent a lot of time with men in drag.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

You lucky bastard.

Unless this was only a day or 2 ago, in which case nice knowing you.

Two years ago: I was off school for about a month.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Will the Labour membership vote for a woman? Every single woman who has stood for a membership vote for leader, has been beaten by every man in the contest.

Finally an admission from the right that status quo/traditional selection processes dont automatically pick the best person for the job. Hope that will be remembered for the next positive discrimination discussions, the Labour Party is a great example to use.
    If the prior processes are not picking the right person for the job then the solution is to tackle the discrimination so that going forwards the best person is chosen.

"Positive discrimination" is still discrimination, it doesn't do that.
    Yes of course, if you could magically get rid of all the discriminatory biases and processes in the real world that would be fantastic. Also magical, it ain't gonna happen. Human brains are built on using bias and pattern recognition very heavily, more than we use rationality.
    No need for magic, just tackling the real issues.

"Positive discrimination" is no better at finding the right person for the job, if you're still discriminating against the people you were discriminating against then the 'right person' still suffers because they're being discriminated against. Promoting someone else from the same group because "they all look the same" to you isn't a fix.
    What a random non sequitur. All woman and all men do not look the same time to me.
    Shh. You’re interrupting my lunch setting me worrying about what a non-random non sequitur would look like.
    On reflection, ISTM that this who be somebody who, whatever you had said, started talking about carrots. Definitely not random. But you wouldn’t know that, the first time.
  • Options

Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

I'm like Caesar's wife.
    You self-harm?
    I didn’t think you did much trial work.
  • Options

I don't understand how a Regency would arise. Do you know something we don't about Carrie's health?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    The Afghans are looking as if they can win this match. Pakistan need 38 from the last four overs.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    ·
    1h

Triggering Article 16 does not mean the end of the Protocol at all. It means that either side can take action they deem necessary to prevent societal, economic or environmental difficulties. Indeed even if it is triggered nothing changes for a month and during that time both sides are supposed to meet to resolve the issues. Only if they fail is any action actually taken. And that cannot reasonably be the suspension of the whole Protocol. UK or EU actions are strictly limited under the treaty to what is necessary to prevent the disruption.

So given that the involvement of the ECJ is extremely unlikely to cause immediate disruption on any of those 3 grounds I think it would be difficult to justify triggering the article on that basis. It would require the UK to do something which the ECJ rules to be in breech and then for that to cause disruption. A theoretical oversight does not seem to meet the necessary criteria.
  • Options

Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

I'm like Caesar's wife.
    You self-harm?
    I didn’t think you did much trial work.
    Only as a witness.

However in my student days I spent a lot of time in gay bars and a lot of long lasting friendships were begat in those bars and clubs.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

I'm not in favour of limiting recruitment by sex. Because of the particular nature of primary school teachers (often providing parental figures for those either lacking one or both parents or as a better version if said parents are rather bad examples) and the heavily slanted sex composition of schoolteachers I would like to see a recruitment drive for male teachers to increase the numbers. I would not advocate either all-male shortlists or some sort of quota, however.

Well that would be positive discrimination - and I think I'd agree with it too. So, ok, you bridle at "quotas" and the like, but you can get behind positive discrimination where you see a real problem. Therefore it's a matter of where you see these real problems. Maybe that's restricted to 'too few men in primary teaching' but I'd be surprised if this were the case. I mean, there's so many high status arenas where women and/or certain minorities and/or working class people are underrepresented. There really is no doubt about that. It's simply a matter of do we wish to address it and if so how. My suspicion is that the answers are (i) not really and (ii) n/a. I think we're oddly attached to privilege in this country. We quite like it, including many of those who don't have it. We find it a comfortable notion.
    We are attached to privilege but not just in this country.

When we gain a coveted position, most of us take the view that "God has given us the Papacy, let us enjoy it."
    It's also human nature to think we deserve it. This, imo, is one of the major handicaps the left in politics faces. That the biggest single determinant in life outcome is birth circumstances, this is true but a hard sell. It's not romantic. It's not nice to think about. And furthermore for most individual successes, the person owes a massive amount to luck and to other things/people, as opposed to their own 'merit'. Eg the bank trader using the firm's settlement and accounting processes, IT, balance sheet etc will nevertheless think HE has made the money. It's total bollox. But it's a necessary mental piece of falsethink for self esteem and justification. You see this all the time. The truth, the cold collectivist deterministic truth, is not palatable, therefore people reject it, protect the status quo, vote Conservative. This is why Labour don't win many elections - and why when they do they need to make it count.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    ·
    1h

Triggering Article 16 does not mean the end of the Protocol at all. It means that either side can take action they deem necessary to prevent societal, economic or environmental difficulties. Indeed even if it is triggered nothing changes for a month and during that time both sides are supposed to meet to resolve the issues. Only if they fail is any action actually taken. And that cannot reasonably be the suspension of the whole Protocol. UK or EU actions are strictly limited under the treaty to what is necessary to prevent the disruption.

So given that the involvement of the ECJ is extremely unlikely to cause immediate disruption on any of those 3 grounds I think it would be difficult to justify triggering the article on that basis. It would require the UK to do something which the ECJ rules to be in breech and then for that to cause disruption. A theoretical oversight does not seem to meet the necessary criteria.
    I tend to think that the debate about the ECJ is a bit of a red herring.

Unless I missed something the role is quite limited.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Prince Andrew is one of the counsellors of state (as is Prince Harry) but I don't think that's likely to become relevant. AIUI they aren't involved in the process of declaring the incapacity of the monarch in any case. That's up to a separate list of figures currently including Dominic Raab and Lindsay Hoyle.

I am working on the assumption here that the most likely grounds for a regency is actually the Queen declaring her own wish to retire from public life on the grounds of infirmity, clearing the way for Prince Charles to be appointed in accordance with the relevant legislation.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I don't understand how a Regency would arise. Do you know something we don't about Carrie's health?
    More to the point, can we think of any such that have turned out well?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

We are attached to privilege but not just in this country.

When we gain a coveted position, most of us take the view that "God has given us the Papacy, let us enjoy it."
    It's also human nature to think we deserve it. This, imo, is one of the major handicaps the left in politics faces. That the biggest single determinant in life outcome is birth circumstances, this is true but a hard sell. It's not romantic. It's not nice to think about. And furthermore for most individual successes, the person owes a massive amount to luck and to other things/people, as opposed to their own 'merit'. Eg the bank trader using the firm's settlement and accounting processes, IT, balance sheet etc will nevertheless think HE has made the money. It's total bollox. But it's a necessary mental piece of falsethink for self esteem and justification. You see this all the time. The truth, the cold collectivist deterministic truth, is not palatable, therefore people reject it, protect the status quo, vote Conservative. This is why Labour don't win many elections - and why when they do they need to make it count.
    You also run up against one of the most powerful instincts of all: the need to make sure that your offspring succeed though whatever help you can give them. Any policy that seems to reduce the ability of people to help their children do better is not going to go down well, which is why IHT is so unpopular.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Does that include architectural styles?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    tlg86 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Has Herdson Sublimed?

David Herdson
    @DavidHerdson
    ·
    3m

If she misses that...

I think it's pretty obvious what the issue is. Not sure why they won't just say it.
    What is the issue?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Has Herdson Sublimed?

David Herdson
    @DavidHerdson
    ·
    3m

If she misses that...

What is the issue?
    COVID.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Surely one of the Scottish Regencies turned out well?

I remember they had like a gazillion Regents.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    IshmaelZ said:

I would recommend a stiff brandy stat, and PRN.

Prescribe a drug and London Bridge falls, you get the blame, but everyone knows brandy never killed anyone...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Has Herdson Sublimed?

David Herdson
    @DavidHerdson
    ·
    3m

If she misses that...

Not to me it isn't. Explain?

Bear in mind how medicine minimises to the patient: not necessarily a tumour, not necessarily malign, not necessarily moved to the lymph glands, not necessarily moved beyond the lymph glands ... etc. That's what HM herself is being told at the moment; it won't be the case that the palace has been given worse news than it is passing on.
  • Options

Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

I'm like Caesar's wife.
    "You can read minds??"
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,676
    Jersey Fisheries Association chap on R4 - pointing out that some of the boats claiming to have been fishing in Jersey waters in the past would have been doing so illegally as they didn’t hold licences then. So Jersey is asking the French “do you WANT us to prosecute them for historic illegal fishing?”.

Answer came there none…
  • Options

Emma Raducanu has lost her quarter-final match to Marta Kostyuk.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Will the Labour membership vote for a woman? Every single woman who has stood for a membership vote for leader, has been beaten by every man in the contest.

Finally an admission from the right that status quo/traditional selection processes dont automatically pick the best person for the job. Hope that will be remembered for the next positive discrimination discussions, the Labour Party is a great example to use.
    If the prior processes are not picking the right person for the job then the solution is to tackle the discrimination so that going forwards the best person is chosen.

"Positive discrimination" is still discrimination, it doesn't do that.
    Yes of course, if you could magically get rid of all the discriminatory biases and processes in the real world that would be fantastic. Also magical, it ain't gonna happen. Human brains are built on using bias and pattern recognition very heavily, more than we use rationality.
    No need for magic, just tackling the real issues.

"Positive discrimination" is no better at finding the right person for the job, if you're still discriminating against the people you were discriminating against then the 'right person' still suffers because they're being discriminated against. Promoting someone else from the same group because "they all look the same" to you isn't a fix.
    What a random non sequitur. All woman and all men do not look the same time to me.
    Shh. You’re interrupting my lunch setting me worrying about what a non-random non sequitur would look like.
    On reflection, ISTM that this who be somebody who, whatever you had said, started talking about carrots. Definitely not random. But you wouldn’t know that, the first time.
    So a random non-sequitur really only exists in the plural.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Has Herdson Sublimed?

David Herdson
    @DavidHerdson
    ·
    3m

If she misses that...

What is the issue?
    COVID.
    Given the likely testing regime around HMQ, a non-COVID winter grot seems more likely.
  • Options
    Palace Intrigue getting a lot of PB Airspace tonight; When we all know that Prince Charles will be King Something Else in a few years.

I'm more intrigued by Biden today.

If I was meeting God's representative on earth - I think a kneel more than a simple handshake might be more appropriate??
  • Options

UVAVU!
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Palace Intrigue getting a lot of PB Airspace tonight; When we all know that Prince Charles will be King Something Else in a few years.

If I was meeting God's representative on earth - I think a kneel more than a simple handshake might be more appropriate??

What about all the other faiths???
  • Options
    It’s like, we might live in a random universe, but if it’s the only one, how will we ever know?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    JBriskin3 said:

Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    ·
    1h

Probably true for them, but that's the problem with saying earlier things were red lines and then it turned out they were not, it makes the other side believe they are not red lines.
  • Options
    Biden meets Macron:

@ABC
    "What happened was, to use an English phrase, what we did was clumsy," Pres. Biden says during meeting with French Pres. Macron about the recent U.S. snub of France for nuclear submarine technology in favor of Australia.

"France is an extremely, extremely valued partner."

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1454135251056447491
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Yes, I wouldn't recognise the Pope as God's representative, but Sleepy Joe is a Catholic not a Nonconformist.
  • Options

Time to dust this one off

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/04/21/the-palace-is-laying-the-groundwork-for-a-regency/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It’s like, we might live in a random universe, but if it’s the only one, how will we ever know?

You're going to have terrible munchies in an hour or two.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Yes - I wasn't being clear enough. Biden seems to think a simple hand shake is required when he meets who he thinks is God's representative on earth.
  • Options

That's a bit of a thumping from a player knocked out in R1 of the US Open (albeit by the woman that Raducanu beat in the semis).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Unbelievable batting by Asif Ali they have a finisher par excellence
  • Options

Have a coffee, you seem to be drunk and hysterical.
    No just concerned about a virus that kills people and has put one my friends in hospital.
    If that's true I hope your friend gets better soon.

But that's not an excuse for "Plan B" or restrictions.

People getting sick isn't a reason to lock the country down, its the reason we have hospitals in the first place.
    If that’s true? Are you calling me a liar?
  • Options
    Pakistan needed 24 from 12 balls.

Did it in six balls.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

6-0-6-0-6-6 - that’s how you finish off a close match!
  • Options
    The last budget was popular on day one.

YouGov is the start. In a few weeks it will be unpopular and Tories will pretend they never agreed with it
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

He's been a damn sight nicer than how many have historically treated the Pope even whilst Catholic.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Did it in six balls.

Pakistan are looking the team to beat.

Classic T20. Asif Ali MOTM for 7 balls!!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Afghanistan made a good fight of it, it's nice to see how the sport has come on for that country. But will they be seen again at future tournaments?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

6-0-6-0-6-6 - that’s how you finish off a close match!
    Because I've repressed the 2016 T20 final it kinda reminded me of the 1990 England v India test at Lord's.

India were 430/9 needing 24 to avoid the follow on.

Kapil Dev then hit Eddie Hemmings for four consecutives sixes.

Narenda Hirawani was out next ball.
  • Options

A punishment beating?
  • Options

YouGov is the start. In a few weeks it will be unpopular and Tories will pretend they never agreed with it

In a few weeks no one will be talking about it.
  • Options
    I genuinely thought the Afghans were going to win that, just shows how much a match can flip on a single over. Was anyone watching Betfair as that unfolded?
  • Options

Jean, that's what you say in the phone call, not the official letter. Do people just not even care about claiming the moral high ground anymore? That's actually a positive development.

• Options
    RobD said:

They will, at the end of April 2022.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Ah, you mean superstitions.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    RobD said:

Are you saying the whole point of the Budget was just to achieve a temporary increase in the Conservative Party's poll rating?

Silly me - I thought it was meant to be a significant speech outlining the economic direction of the country.
  • Options
    RobD said:

They might when their deductions start in April.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Did it in six balls.

Pakistan are looking the team to beat.

Classic T20. Asif Ali MOTM for 7 balls!!
    My Indian heritage friend is convinced Pakistan are going to win.

The ruthless enforcement of the Tebbit test in India has guaranteed it.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    stodge said:

RobD said:

Are you saying the whole point of the Budget was just to achieve a temporary increase in the Conservative Party's poll rating?

Silly me - I thought it was meant to be a significant speech outlining the economic direction of the country.
    I think he was saying that all budgets go through a news cycle and a few weeks down the line the cycle has passed for most people. Significance or lack thereof in a budget does not get shown by the public reaction I think.
  • Options
    stodge said:

RobD said:

Go on mate! Score!
This discussion has been closed.