Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What will Rishi’s PM chances look like after today’s budget? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Bad news for Big Reds.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

I thought the research on Sure Start was that it wasn't very effective? Have people changed their minds?

I suspect the past 10 years has demonstrated that anything helping children in the very early years results in longer term achievements and so is cheaper in the long run.

Remember that you can change any figure to generate the result you want when you ask a question in a particular way.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2021
    Increased tax on wine, lower tax on beer and alcopops? Curious how that will go down.

EDIT: Cheaper Prosecco. MrsT will be happy.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    Good idea on booze. Will it be complex to administer though?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Duties lowered on low alcohol drinks but increased on higher alcoholic drinks.

Small brewers relief including small cidermakers announced too. Sparkling wines will pay the same duty as still wines of equivalent strength
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Toms said:

Off topic, but a lesson on how to write:

"90 seconds of rage on the Capitol steps"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/10/16/us/capitol-riot.html

Hint: Google the title above.

Indeed, an excellently researched and written piece. We've long known, at least since the Nazis and the Stanford experiments, that ordinary people can be extraordinarily brutal and cruel (and, to be fair, courageous and altruistic). But it is still shocking to be reminded of it in such vivid terms.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,383
    edited October 2021
    For a simplified alkie tax system, this sounds very complicated.

Our in house drunk tank @SeanT will be pleased.

Now, we need a champagne tax, on anything with a 'protected name'.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Champagne for all.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Cheaper bubbly.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841
    Save The Pubs!
  • Options
    Near one hour in and a very imaginative and innovative budget so far
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    MattW said:

For a simplified alkie tax system, this sounds very complicated.

Our in house drunk tank @SeanT will be pleased.

Now, we need a champagne tax.

Since our Sean is normally off his head on some strong red or other, I am not so sure....
  • Options
    Cheaper fruit ciders too as well as cheaper Prosecco. This is a budget for MrsT. 😂

Cheaper draft beer. Good for pubs.
  • Options

Increased tax on wine, lower tax on beer and alcopops? Curious how that will go down.

EDIT: Cheaper Prosecco. MrsT will be happy.

The pint-sized pugilist prioritises prosecco.

God I'm bored. I try to concentrate on Budget Day but the mind wanders.
  • Options
    Still stonking taxes to come I suspect.
  • Options
    Higher duty on port and sherry, no rise in duty on whiskey and spirits and cut in duty on beer
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    MattW said:

Why? As I pointed out yesterday they have all been announced - which is was the entire point....

Tax bands aren't fixed until 2025 (March)
    Corporation tax increase announced (March)
    NI increases (September)
    Dividend tax increase (September)
  • Options
    MattW said:

Must be - I'm betting that the focus here will be on businesses.
  • Options

Cheaper fruit ciders too as well as cheaper Prosecco. This is a budget for MrsT. 😂

Isn’t ‘fruit cider” a tautology? Or do apples not count as fruit anymore and this refers to something else?
  • Options
    Fuel tax frozen
  • Options
    Public sector workers to get a payrise under the independent pay setting process
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    eek said:

I thought the research on Sure Start was that it wasn't very effective? Have people changed their minds?

I suspect the past 10 years has demonstrated that anything helping children in the very early years results in longer term achievements and so is cheaper in the long run.

Remember that you can change any figure to generate the result you want when you ask a question in a particular way.
    Just read David Franklin's book on Dan Levy's legendary statistics classes at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. I read it for the analysis of what makes his teaching so effective, but it's a great read for anyone wanting a recap on the usefulness and potential abuse of statistical methods to prove political points.

For anyone interested: Invisible Learning: The magic behind a legendary Harvard statistics course
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Stocky said:

MattW said:

I'm sticking with my list. One out of five so far.

My three punts are:

1 - Technical measures in the property area, including something to level up treatment of business-owned and personally owned property. Maybe something on foreign owned property, such as making the ATED fully proportional rather than a fixed sum on bands.
    2 - Something on IHT that doesn't look like something.
    3 - Reform of business rates.
    4 - Brucie Bonus - Council Tax changes. Hoping for PPT.
    5 - Brucie Bonus 2 - CGT changes.
  • Options
    Freezing rates makes fuel more affordable, apparently.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Higher duty on port and sherry, no rise in duty on whiskey and spirits and cut in duty on beer

So tax rises on drinks we import, freezes or reductions on drinks we make (and I do realise we import some whiskies and beers).
  • Options
    Stocky said:

MattW said:

True - they have already had the transfer of payments to Minimum Wage from UC.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Freezing rates makes fuel more affordable, apparently.

Well its more affordable than it would be if rates increased by 2p a litre.
  • Options
    National living wage to rise to £9.50 an hour
  • Options

Isn’t ‘fruit cider” a tautology? Or do apples not count as fruit anymore and this refers to something else?
    No, apples were classed as cider, whereas anything else were classed as flavoured/fruit cider.

Under the old system strawberry flavoured cider etc and drinks like Strongbow Dark Fruits etc were taxed massively more than generic ciders.

Buying a 'cider and black' was massively less taxed than a draft version of it.
  • Options
    Sunak says people more important than the market or the state, sounds very New Labour
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    HYUFD said:

Duties lowered on low alcohol drinks but increased on higher alcoholic drinks.

Small brewers relief including small cidermakers announced too. Sparkling wines will pay the same duty as still wines of equivalent strength

The sparkling wine releases CO2 bubbles. It should be subject to a carbon tax!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,217
    TimT said:

Toms said:

Off topic, but a lesson on how to write:

"90 seconds of rage on the Capitol steps"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/10/16/us/capitol-riot.html

Hint: Google the title above.

Indeed, an excellently researched and written piece. We've long known, at least since the Nazis and the Stanford experiments, that ordinary people can be extraordinarily brutal and cruel (and, to be fair, courageous and altruistic). But it is still shocking to be reminded of it in such vivid terms.
    Especially the way in which people spiral into more and more extreme sub-groups. Within the group, many social and other interactions are normal.

A classic of this is the PIRA and associated splinter groups - a bunch of lads down the pub. "Up for torturing a tout on Friday? Yeah, nothing else on.... my round isn't it?"....

This creates the effect brilliantly parodied in Death to 2020 by Cristin Milioti as the soccer mom.
  • Options
    Sunak reaching out to @MaxPB.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,697

Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    ·
    15m
    Confirmed:
    @RachelReevesMP
    will do Labour's Budget response

That is sensible
    No it is not. Traditionally the Shadow Chancellor leads for the Opposition in the budget debate over the next couple of days. Responding off the cuff today, without the benefit of poring over the red book, should be left to another. Yet another example of SKS getting the politics wrong.
    Tradition! Pah....

The Shadow Chancellor should always have responded. It beggers belief that they don't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunak says people more important than the market or the state, sounds very New Labour

Sounds more like the Prime Minister than the Prime Minister does
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    1p off income tax?

Or UC taper?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sounds more like the Prime Minister than the Prime Minister does
    A very low bar
  • Options
    UC taper @Philip_Thompson
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    8% cut in uc taper
  • Options

No, apples were classed as cider, whereas anything else were classed as flavoured/fruit cider.

Under the old system strawberry flavoured cider etc and drinks like Strongbow Dark Fruits etc were taxed massively more than generic ciders.

Buying a “cider and black” should be seen as incontrovertible evidence that the person is too young to drink (irrespective of their actual age) and result in them being kicked out of the pub.
  • Options
    Cut of 8% to Universal Credit taper rate and increase in work allowances
  • Options
    Sandpit said:
    63% down to 55% from no later than 1st December
  • Options

Buying a “cider and black” should be seen as incontrovertible evidence that the person is too young to drink (irrespective of their actual age) and result in them being kicked out of the pub.
    In a pub I used to frequent, one chap was allowed to drink snakebite. He thought this was a badge of honour. We thought... not.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    So UC taper to 55%.

That is good, and something I have been calling for for months :-).

That makes my prediction success .. er .. 2 out of 6.

So Rach will be going for the 10% salami slicing of the amount since 2015, by George the Vineyard.

Wealth taxes to come... ?

Hmmm. Wealth taxes not mentioned. Some things in the docs.

So where is Sir Keith the Absent?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    …and that’s it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:
    Fantastic!

It needs to go much further still, but this is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully future Budgets will take more steps on this too so instead of boosting the UC starting level cutting the taper instead aids those in work and lowers the poverty trap.
  • Options
    Sunak sits down, Budget done
  • Options

Sandpit said:
    Fantastic!

It needs to go much further still, but this is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully future Budgets will take more steps on this too so instead of boosting the UC starting level cutting the taper instead aids those in work and lowers the poverty trap.
    No new taxes than already announced
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited October 2021

In a pub I used to frequent, one chap was allowed to drink snakebite. He thought this was a badge of honour. We thought... not.
    One of the most important lessons I learned at school was never mix beer and cider.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    HYUFD said:

The Sunday papers arrive very late in Essex!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    ping said:

…and that’s it.

Thank fuck
  • Options
    Good first response from Reeves.
  • Options

I'm absolutely delighted the Chancellor has recognised UC Taper is a tax. Ending this is something I've been personally arguing about for twenty one years (since I started my Economics degree and discovered this).

I am delighted today. We need to end the poverty trap.

This is only a step though. It needs to go further. Much further.

There has to be some taper though, or are you arguing for a Universal Income?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    MattW said:

So UC taper to 55%.

That is good, and something I have been calling for for months :-).

That makes my prediction success .. er .. 2 out of 6.

So Rach will be going for the 10% salami slicing of the amount since 2015, by George the Vineyard.

Wealth taxes to come... ?

Hmmm. Wealth taxes not mentioned. Some things in the docs.

So where is Sir Keith the Absent?

Pretending to have Covid.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    So did they decide not to mess with student loans in the end?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Parliamentlive says the Chancellor rose at 12:34:08, and sat down at 13:38:33 - 1h4m25s speech.
  • Options

One of the most important lessons I learned at school was never mix beer and cider.
    The er... interesting bit was that he was mixing a scrumpy (made locally) and an equally local ale.

IIRC "Skull Buggerer" and "Bluto's Revenge", respectively.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Did you miss yesterday's leak?

A good news,pre-election giveaway budget nonethess.
  • Options

A relief.

Nothing on pensions either?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Stocky said:

A relief.

Nothing on pensions, student loans, IHT or CGT
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunak sits down, Budget done

Isn’t there supposed to be a debate, analysis in the media, and some parliamentary votes? Or is that just me being old fashioned.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,572

That's probably next week. It appears actual budget announcements aren't made in the budget
  • Options
    have budgets always been this political ? Personally i would have liked a bit more honest critique than an hour of saying everything and we are great , magic money tree and all that . It seemed a bit lacking in gravitas frankly
  • Options
    More important news: England 90/1 after 10 overs, target of 125 looking very easy.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

A relief.

Neither mentioned in the OBR at least...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    What the taper change actually means is that people with no children on very low incomes who get zero benefits pay their tax so that people with children on incomes even further up the scale will still be able to claim benefits.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    I was watching. Rishi seems to have found the UK credit card. To be fair the interest rate on the UK credit card is about 1pc over ten years so it makes sense.
  • Options

I'm absolutely delighted the Chancellor has recognised UC Taper is a tax. Ending this is something I've been personally arguing about for twenty one years (since I started my Economics degree and discovered this).

I am arguing for what Milton Friedman called a Negative Income Tax, or what others have called a Universal Income.

A single defined benefit amount per person, a single defined tax rate, and that's it. Yes those earning millions get the benefit but so frigging they're paying for it and it will just net off their tax rate like tax allowance does (or did) previously.

Currently we have a "New York Skyline" set of tax rates that shoot up and down. 20%, 40%, 60% or 75% depending upon what you earn. Going up and down, up and down with no discernible reason and creating artificial thresholds that discourage work.
  • Options

I am sometimes tempted by a temporary reverse tapper.

Get a job. Get double benefits (or something) for a year or 2.
  • Options

The er... interesting bit was that he was mixing a scrumpy (made locally) and an equally local ale.

Proper scrumpy is something that needs to be treated with a lot of respect, not mixed with anything.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

More important news: England 90/1 after 10 overs, target of 125 looking very easy.

Almost winter as well. Is there no end to this cricket.
  • Options

have budgets always been this political ? Personally i would have liked a bit more honest critique than an hour of saying everything and we are great , magic money tree and all that . It seemed a bit lacking in gravitas frankly

It was beautifully presented budget. Although Reeves's response is very much better that I (or Starmer) could have done.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    edited October 2021
    I thought Sunak was a bit too harsh on the Labour Tory government that reigned from 2010-2019. It wasn't all bad, was it?

One other thought - I have a strong suspicion that right-wingers on here would be apoplectic with rage about the financial profligacy on show if this had been a Labour Party budget.
  • Options

It was beautifully presented budget. Although Reeves's response is very much better that I (or Starmer) could have done.
    Yes both are better than their leaders.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    Reeves is a lot better than I remember.
  • Options

gabyhinsliff
    @gabyhinsliff
    ·
    4m
    Rachel Reeves sounding amazingly confident, for someone doing the worst job in the world on the hoof after stepping in at the last minute
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

This cricket should be over pretty soon the rate Jason Roy's going..
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Proper scrumpy is something that needs to be treated with a lot of respect, not mixed with anything.
    Indeed. I can remember some interesting afternoons, sitting in the hot sun. Blink and you'd wake up, looking at the stars... the landlord would let the fallen lie in the beer garden until they woke up and found their own way home....
  • Options
    Wes Streeting on WATO. Is he really the future?
  • Options

well maybe if you are a tory spin doctor but budgets are supposed to be a grown up presentation of the state of the finances - you would have thought given the massive debt more intelligent contributions could have been made than x billion spend on this and x billion on that
  • Options
    Excellent stuff from Rachel.

A star is born.
  • Options

There’s so much crud floating about in it already, it’s a wonder it is even possible to mix it with anything else.
  • Options

I am arguing for what Milton Friedman called a Negative Income Tax, or what others have called a Universal Income.

A single defined benefit amount per person, a single defined tax rate, and that's it. Yes those earning millions get the benefit but so frigging they're paying for it and it will just net off their tax rate like tax allowance does (or did) previously.

Currently we have a "New York Skyline" set of tax rates that shoot up and down. 20%, 40%, 60% or 75% depending upon what you earn. Going up and down, up and down with no discernible reason and creating artificial thresholds that discourage work.
    Fair enough. I can think of a few problems, but no system is without those.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Nope. As soon as they’re finished in the Middle East, they’ll be moving to Australia (Where England can expect to get smashed in the Ashes).
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

I'd have thought port and sherry were the signature drinks of the bigoted retired home owner core vote, and not drink in massive quantities by anybody. When did anyone here last have a glass of sherry?
  • Options

He’s a bright guy but is, and probably always will be, a quintessential student politician. It’s hard to see him ever developing the common touch that a top class politician needs.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    edited October 2021
    Open bets midpoint -£95. 55 mentions of billion ?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

There’s so much crud floating about in it already, it’s a wonder it is even possible to mix it with anything else.
    There is a scrumpy-like drink in the Discworld books (scumble I think?) which you can’t mix with water or it will explode...
  • Options
    There goes Roy, 61 from 38 is a match—winning score.
  • Options
    Very impressive from Reeves. I'd be curious to know how she thinks a Labour government would result in more economic growth.
  • Options
    From my back of a fag paper calculations it looks like a full time employee on UC will be better off after today's budget than if they'd kept the £20 uplift but not touched the taper. Whereas they'd have been worse off even with the Living Wage boost had it not been touched.

Plus the benefit of a lower taper is the poverty trap is reduced for if they do some overtime or get a pay-rise.

People should be able to rely on work and not welfare.

Devil will be in the detail but I'm a happy bunny today. I'm still worse off personally due the NI changes, but the poorest who work are better off so this is a big first step in the right direction.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

I'd have thought port and sherry were the signature drinks of the bigoted retired home owner core vote, and not drink in massive quantities by anybody. When did anyone here last have a glass of sherry?
    Friday night, from the cask, in a sherry bar (tabanco) in Jerez de la Frontera
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Nope. As soon as they’re finished in the Middle East, they’ll be moving to Australia (Where England can expect to get smashed in the Ashes).
    I liked the old days when the one consolidation of winter was not having to endure any more cricket.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Last time I visited my octogenarian step-mother: I think that may help your point (apart from the bigoted bit).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

He’s a bright guy but is, and probably always will be, a quintessential student politician. It’s hard to see him ever developing the common touch that a top class politician needs.
    For many of us, the first time we encountered him was as the NUS President massively in favour of tuition fees, because that’s what Uncle Tony said he needed to believe this week.
  • Options

From my back of a fag paper calculations it looks like a full time employee on UC will be better off after today's budget than if they'd kept the £20 uplift but not touched the taper. Whereas they'd have been worse off even with the Living Wage boost had it not been touched.

Plus the benefit of a lower taper is the poverty trap is reduced for if they do some overtime or get a pay-rise.

People should be able to rely on work and not welfare.

Devil will be in the detail but I'm a happy bunny today. I'm still worse off personally due the NI changes, but the poorest who work are better off so this is a big first step in the right direction.

And it comes in by the 1st December
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,360

Excellent stuff from Rachel.

A star is born.

What? When I left for lunch, it was going to be Bridget Phillipson. What happened to her - did she drop out too, or was that fake news (put about, presumably, so that people like me would go googling Bridget Phillipson)?
This discussion has been closed.