Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What will Rishi’s PM chances look like after today’s budget? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

What we do seem to have seen is a budget that Ed Miliband might have been pretty proud of had things gone differently. A truly massive increase in public spending, some increases in taxes, notably for businesses through CT and ENI, and yet projected deficits which fall very rapidly as a share of GDP.

I suspect that many on the right of the Tory party will be quietly appalled but they will be nowhere near as appalled as the pretty competent Labour shadow Treasury team. Boris and Rishi are running an extremely centrist, almost fractionally left of centre, government and it does not leave Labour with much room for offering a substantive alternative.

Bit like what Blair & Brown did to the Tories.

True I think but eventually, or maybe quite soon, what happened to the dismal Brown and Blair will happen to the only slightly less dismal Sunak and Johnson - they'll run out of other people's money.
    Can I refer my honourable friend to my earlier comment about the quietly appalled.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    Rachel Reeves was basically like John Barnes against Argentina. Came on without any real chance to change the result. But a good performance. People will be buying shares in her.

Blimey. Hodges needs to update his references. Surely Mrs Thatcher was PM back then, and half his readers weren't born.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

The devil in the detail.. the higher rates of booze duty will hit all reds above ELEVEN PER CENT.

So all red wine.

🍷

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1453350019659177990

If it encouraged wine producers to edge down their alcohol content that would be a good thing.
    I'm not persuaded that French wine producers, for example, will have been hanging on to Rishi's every word and, as we speak, trying to work out how to reduce the alcohol content of their vin rouge.
    No, probably not, but British buyers will be very conscious that they can offer wine with an alcohol level of less than 11% at a very competitive but still profitable price and they will look out for it.
    Trouble is, we've got the taste for big peppery reds now. I'd guess (but happy to be proved wrong) that reds at 11% are going to taste a bit insipid?
    You get a prize if you can find one.

An Italian Lambrusco, perhaps.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited October 2021

John Lewis explain their insurance ad

LOL.

Weasel words though. "depiction of a young actor..."

It looks for all the world that it depicts a boy who likes dressing up with all the associated implications.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

The devil in the detail.. the higher rates of booze duty will hit all reds above ELEVEN PER CENT.

So all red wine.

🍷

Nowadays, almost all white wine as well.

Better wine making + global warming -> stronger wines.

He mentioned rose as becoming cheaper in his speech. Does he really think roses typically come in under 11%?
    I can't think of any wine of 11%. Perhaps some sparklers.
    I’ve seen vinho verde at 11.5%. That’s the closest I recall.
  • Options

If only Chancellors were held to the same level of scrutiny in budget speeches!
  • Options

If only Chancellors were held to the same level of scrutiny in budget speeches!
    Give it time.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Oh, and as I forecast this morning when mocking the IMF forecast that we would still be down 3% on 2019 GDP in 2024 it does appear we will be there by the end of this year: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59062392

Starting without a queen would be more interesting than 30 seconds time limit.
    This is either incredibly subtle or a reply to a different post.
    Yes! Not sure what happened but was meant as a reply to the Bill Gates chess post.

Carlsen without a queen vs Gates would have been interesting, and possibly determined by how much time each player had, the more time the better the chance for Gates. Whereas Carlsen with 30 seconds and all the pieces will win over 99% of the time.
    Interesting to about three people, as Channel 4 discovered when it bought the rights to Kasparov versus Short for peak evening viewing. They even curtailed the racing to get there for the start in case they missed the first ever Foolsmate in a world championship match.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

So all red wine.

🍷

If it encouraged wine producers to edge down their alcohol content that would be a good thing.
    I'm not persuaded that French wine producers, for example, will have been hanging on to Rishi's every word and, as we speak, trying to work out how to reduce the alcohol content of their vin rouge.
    No, probably not, but British buyers will be very conscious that they can offer wine with an alcohol level of less than 11% at a very competitive but still profitable price and they will look out for it.
    Trouble is, we've got the taste for big peppery reds now. I'd guess (but happy to be proved wrong) that reds at 11% are going to taste a bit insipid?
    I hesitate to generalise but I am starting to find some reds, notably Australian Shiraz and the like, just a tad on the strong side. Sometimes its a bit like drinking sherry which is not ideal to sip with a meal. I am aware of a female friend who has stopped drinking reds for the same reason.

We shall see.
    My impression is that it's the Aussie reds that pack stupid punches and the European reds are a bit more civilised.

How do these duty changes compare with the effects of the Brilliant Trade Deal?
    Much if not all of Laithwaites' business model is to flog 14-15% wines which you can't really taste beyond the alcohol.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

So all red wine.

🍷

He mentioned rose as becoming cheaper in his speech. Does he really think roses typically come in under 11%?
    I’ve seen vinho verde at 11.5%. That’s the closest I recall.
    Yep that sounds about right I had thought perhaps prosecco also but they are 12%.

Tio Pepe = 18%. :smile:
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,468
    edited October 2021
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

So all red wine.

🍷

Blue Nun. I'll concede that it may not meet both parts of the (i) wine and (ii) under 11% criteria :wink:
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/253209096

Edit: to burnish my metropolitan liberal elite credentials, I should point out that my knowledge of this comes only from an unfortunate flat-share at university with someone who was - how can I put it? - not one of us. Think she went to work for Goldman Sachs. New money.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557
    edited October 2021
    I missed Rachel Reeves, but have now read her speech. If anybody else is interested the full text is here:

https://labourlist.org/2021/10/labour-would-put-working-people-first-rachel-reeves-full-budget-response/

It is, in my view, mightily impressive. Careful reading reveals, I think, the battlegrounds for the next general election. It also, I think, destroys the myth that Sunak delivered a 'New Labour' type budget.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    TOPPING said:

LOL.

It looks for all the world that it depicts a boy who likes dressing up with all the associated implications.
    I still want to know how on earth that advert got past anyone, and how on earth those people are still employed by John Lewis.

It was without doubt the worst advert I've seen in years (and I watch a few bit of TV streamed from the states with adverts included).
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Can anyone explain the Denmark situation to me. They lifted all covid restrictions over a month ago and are doing fine so far as I can see. We, however, seem to be in a more difficult position.

Different vaccines/rates of take up?
    Different behaviour?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,902
    edited October 2021

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Oh, and as I forecast this morning when mocking the IMF forecast that we would still be down 3% on 2019 GDP in 2024 it does appear we will be there by the end of this year: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59062392

Yes! Not sure what happened but was meant as a reply to the Bill Gates chess post.

Carlsen without a queen vs Gates would have been interesting, and possibly determined by how much time each player had, the more time the better the chance for Gates. Whereas Carlsen with 30 seconds and all the pieces will win over 99% of the time.
    Interesting to about three people, as Channel 4 discovered when it bought the rights to Kasparov versus Short for peak evening viewing. They even curtailed the racing to get there for the start in case they missed the first ever Foolsmate in a world championship match.
    I thought that had a decent number of viewers? There were certainly more people turning up to chess clubs for a while after it. Certainly more than do now (or at least did before the pandemic).

Any half reasonable player could easily beat Magnus with a queen head start given more than 5 seconds a move.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,129
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

What we do seem to have seen is a budget that Ed Miliband might have been pretty proud of had things gone differently. A truly massive increase in public spending, some increases in taxes, notably for businesses through CT and ENI, and yet projected deficits which fall very rapidly as a share of GDP.

I suspect that many on the right of the Tory party will be quietly appalled but they will be nowhere near as appalled as the pretty competent Labour shadow Treasury team. Boris and Rishi are running an extremely centrist, almost fractionally left of centre, government and it does not leave Labour with much room for offering a substantive alternative.

Bit like what Blair & Brown did to the Tories.

True I think but eventually, or maybe quite soon, what happened to the dismal Brown and Blair will happen to the only slightly less dismal Sunak and Johnson - they'll run out of other people's money.
    Sunak and Johnson will run out more quickly because they won't tax the rich.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

If pb posts had to be interesting to more than a niche audience, pb would not exist.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053

I missed Rachel Reeves, but have now read her speech. If anybody else is interested the full text is here:

https://labourlist.org/2021/10/labour-would-put-working-people-first-rachel-reeves-full-budget-response/

It is, in my view, mightily impressive. Careful reading reveals, I think, the battlegrounds for the next general election. It also, I think, destroys the myth that Sunak delivered a 'New Labour' type budget.

"The Prime Minister is the frontman, distracting people with his wild promises. All the while, his Chancellor dips his hand in their pocket. It all seems like fun and games until you walk away and realise your purse has been lifted."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    TOPPING said:

LOL.

They don't have any qualms about using male pronouns to describe someone oblivious to the consequences of their actions.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

If pb posts had to be interesting to more than a niche audience, pb would not exist.
    Well quite. This is a site for people of all political persuasions, who are into test cricket, unusual wines, chess strategy, and trains.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.

I still want to know how on earth that advert got past anyone, and how on earth those people are still employed by John Lewis.

It was without doubt the worst advert I've seen in years (and I watch a few bit of TV streamed from the states with adverts included).
    It was an attempt to capture the zeitgeist. But ended up asking more questions than it answered.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.

The intent was to rile people up and get them talking on twitter. It succeeded in doing that but unfortunately all they did was rile up their own customers.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

"The Prime Minister is the frontman, distracting people with his wild promises. All the while, his Chancellor dips his hand in their pocket. It all seems like fun and games until you walk away and realise your purse has been lifted."
    Was RR responsible for that line? If so, she has come up with a better attack line - and put it more eloquently - than anything SKS has managed in the last 20 months. In fact, it's better than anything anyone from Labour has managed for over a decade.
  • Options

Rachel has won universal plaudits on PB – from both sides of the divide. Indeed, the PB Tories have been generous with their praise.

The more interesting question is now perhaps: what does she do next to make her play for the leadership?

• Options
    TOPPING said:

LOL.

A pedant notes: it wasn't 'a depiction of a young actor'. It was a depiction of a child. Who was depicted by a young actor.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Cookie said:

Was RR responsible for that line? If so, she has come up with a better attack line - and put it more eloquently - than anything SKS has managed in the last 20 months. In fact, it's better than anything anyone from Labour has managed for over a decade.
    It's the best one since William Hague used it:
    https://order-order.com/2021/10/27/hague-inspires-reeves-budget-response/
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I suspect she didn't write it, but she delivered it well. But yes, it's a beautifully crafted line that strikes right at the heart of the cost of living theme.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Mr. Cookie, that only stacks up if Labour are promising to cut taxes, though.

Otherwise their only option is to hike borrowing even more to splurge even more money.

It'd be interesting if Labour became fiscally conservative. Not going to happen, though.
  • Options
    Any predictions for 4 o'clock? I'm going for 34,898; 240.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557

Rachel has won universal plaudits on PB – from both sides of the divide. Indeed, the PB Tories have been generous with their praise.

The more interesting question is now perhaps: what does she do next to make her play for the leadership?

Absolutely nothing - at least not until after the next GE. Starmer won't be challenged before then.

And it does Starmer no harm to have a brilliant Shadow Chancellor, and Reeves no harm to shine in that role.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Otherwise their only option is to hike borrowing even more to splurge even more money.

It'd be interesting if Labour became fiscally conservative. Not going to happen, though.

Well they oppose the insane increase in NI for starters, so there's that.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
    edited October 2021
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.

It was an attempt to capture the zeitgeist. But ended up asking more questions than it answered.
    Just watched the John Lewis Let Life Happen advert for the first time and thought it was great. Far better, in fact, than most of their much-vaunted Christmas commercials. Did not mind, or really notice, the woke business. Just a shame it was advertising a completely different product from the one they actually sell. :wink:
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

The Reeves version is far superior. The casting of Boris as the distracting, flamboyant frontman is perfect.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ALERT ALERT, we have 3rd Doses on the dashboard

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,943
    Cookie said:

40,000 ; 200.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.

A pedant notes: it wasn't 'a depiction of a young actor'. It was a depiction of a child. Who was depicted by a young actor.
    Perhaps they are implying that the behaviour depicted is typical for actors.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cases 49.1K -> 43.9K
    Deaths 179 -> 207
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Cases 49.1K -> 43.9K
    Deaths 179 -> 207
    Is that what actually happened, or is it your prediction?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Cases 49.1K -> 43.9K
    Deaths 179 -> 207
    Actual
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Still CAN'T WAKE THE DRAKE.

Where are the Welsh numbers?

Edit: sorry, they are there. I misread the dashboard.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Kate McCann of Sky News admits Rishi baffled us with Science.

You mean he used maths more complex than 2+2?
    If your being snippy with me here's my Budget Reaction:

That 2021 6pc growth is doing a lot of heavy lifting.
    I was referring to the journalist claiming to be baffled by Science - that tends to be code for "the bad person used numbers and things I don't want to know about"
    Fair enough - I assume Rishi's calculator does add 2+2 to equal 4 but he's probably utilised some Civil Service prepared graphs as well.
    What I would really enjoy is a demolition job such as DK Brown did after the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster.

He demolished a journalist and a strangely ignorant maths professor who'd read a book on naval architecture for 1 minute.

I still recall the plaintiff cries from the interviewer that it was a bit "complex"...
    Oh? What was his view vs the maths prof? Presumably about the importance of free water sloshing around the car hold?
    The math prof had read one equation on stability, and claimed that 1mm of water would cause any RoRo ship to capsize. and had gone hot foot to the BBC....

DK Brown gently pointed out that this was bollocks - informed by his having designed such ships and being taught the design principles by Baker* (the chap who was *the* landing ship designer in the RN, in WWII)

EDIT: In addition Brown was a serious authority on ship stability. His books on the Royal Navy have massive chunks on the problems and successes in various classes of this.

*Who designed the landing ships to be stable even when the vehicle deck was flooded. To prove this he trialled deliberately flooding the lead craft of various classes. At sea.... As Brown pointed out - a nice idea for civilian vessels as well...
    Thanks! I've got his books on the RN myself. But had not been aware of the HFE link.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Cases 49.1K -> 43.9K
    Deaths 179 -> 207
    Actual data.
  • Options
    England 41,498->37,502
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Cases 49.1K -> 43.9K
    Deaths 179 -> 207
    If it were my prediction it would be very good as those are the actuals.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Cases 49.1K -> 43.9K
    Deaths 179 -> 207
    Actual
    So, numbers are heading in the right direction, but I'd probably want them to be slightly better given it's half term.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Many great lines have a long history of use.
    From the same paragraph of RR's speech;

"This country deserves better..." As used by BoJo in 2019 and Blair in 1997. Angry about now, hope for the future. It's a goodun.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    rcs1000 said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Cases 49.1K -> 43.9K
    Deaths 179 -> 207
    43941/207/894
  • Options

Can anyone explain the Denmark situation to me. They lifted all covid restrictions over a month ago and are doing fine so far as I can see. We, however, seem to be in a more difficult position.

Different behaviour?

Perhaps they don't have a clown for a prime minister?
  • Options
    The fall increasingly feels as if it's mainly half term test reduction driven rather than particularly real.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

That's a bit desperate from Guido - the theme of the pickpocket chancellor has been around for a long time, as far as I recall. The wording is quite different, Kinnock-Biden it is not. If that's the worst they can come up with then Reeves should be pleased.
  • Options

You mean RR's line? It works as an attack line. It doesn't have to be a coherent policy position from Labour.
    But it will be interesting to see what they propose to do. Do they propose to spend less? Or borrow more?
  • Options

Different behaviour?

I don't think viruses care who the prime minister is.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

From my back of a fag paper calculations it looks like a full time employee on UC will be better off after today's budget than if they'd kept the £20 uplift but not touched the taper. Whereas they'd have been worse off even with the Living Wage boost had it not been touched.

Plus the benefit of a lower taper is the poverty trap is reduced for if they do some overtime or get a pay-rise.

People should be able to rely on work and not welfare.

Devil will be in the detail but I'm a happy bunny today. I'm still worse off personally due the NI changes, but the poorest who work are better off so this is a big first step in the right direction.

Back on board the Boris bus, thank goodness for that!
    Maybe.

This is an issue I care passionately about which I've been campaigning about for years. Its not like I've suddenly just discovered this issue - this is something I did a paper on nearly two decades ago and is something I have long really cared about. There's a reason why when it was named other posters name-checked me on it, this is something I've been advocating for here.

The devil will be in the details. It will be interesting to see if this stands up in the light of day but if it does then Rishi may have won me back with this move.

But I'll want further such steps in the future, this isn't the end of the line as far as I'm concerned.
    It's something I've come around to, and the more it's investigated, the better it looks.

Whilst some people jink at the "Unconditional" bit, it must be borne in mind that the alternative to Unconditional Basic Income is Conditional Basic Income. Because no modern country just sits by and let people starve.

Conditional Basic Income means that the State gets to dictate the conditions, monitor the conditions, assess you against those conditions, and implement the conditions.

And, because this is the case, it smothers citizens in need with complex, lengthy, and often ambiguous forms and documentation and repeated assessments, as well as incurring a delay when in need. This increases tension and stress just when said citizens are most stressed, and this damages the decision-making powers of the brain (this surprised me initially, but there are a lot of studies on it).

So just when people need a clear mind, they're clouded. And then we hold their (impaired) decisions against them, adding punitive elements to the conditions.

Set it up such that it replaces the tax allowance and, yes, you might need specific extra targeted benefits (such as for those who are disabled), but these are specific and far smaller add-ons.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Pulpstar said:

The fall increasingly feels as if it's mainly half term test reduction driven rather than particularly real.

What's the positivity rate?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

That's a bit desperate from Guido - the theme of the pickpocket chancellor has been around for a long time, as far as I recall. The wording is quite different, Kinnock-Biden it is not. If that's the worst they can come up with then Reeves should be pleased.
    Yes.

Weak, weak, weak.

(from Guido)
  • Options
    I put another £200 on Labour poll lead by end of 2021 today
  • Options

Different behaviour?

They do care about population density though.

Denmark population density 137 / km^2
    England population density 445 / km^2
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,207
    LAB need to prepare for the future once Keir has lost the election.

As I have said on here before there are not many credible candidates. Rayner can be discounted. People like Yvette Cooper and Hilary Benn - and Ed - are yesterday's contenders. So Rachel is a good option for LAB.
  • Options
    Can somebody tell me, how was the budget
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Different behaviour?

I'm not sure the personality of prime minister needs to be controlled for in this comparison.
  • Options

Different behaviour?

Clearly unrelated to the Denmark situation you're talking about, but someone in Denmark is paying to advertise Danish "oyster safaris" to me on twitter. I've seen three of them today.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

England 41,498->37,502

Pillar 1 & 2 tests

19th October, 797990
    26th October, 732736

(91.8%)

Cases @ 90.3%.

There might be a true drop - but it's small.

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,302

Can somebody tell me, how was the budget

The main thing to take away is the reappearance of masks on the Conservative front bench.

Haven't looked at anything else.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

Pulpstar said:

The R from cases peaked around the 16th, so it isn't the half term...
  • Options

Are you betting on Smarkets? That market is a lead by 2 November which is next Tuesday, not the end of the year.

The graph isn't showing any matched bets for today yet. If your bet isn't matched and you've just put it on hoping it gets selected at better odds than what's currently available you may want to cancel your bet if you didn't realise the market ends on Tuesday not the end of the year.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Sure, but how can it have been any different? Our knowledge of case numbers is purely coming from tests taken. We need to stop reporting and stressing about the number of new infections and purely concentrate on hospitalisations.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Running the numbers now. The idiots who DDOS the API with too many requests are going on The List.
  • Options

The number of polls you are gambling on is steadily decreasing, however. VI
    polls tend not to be worth doing during the holiday period.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,651

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

So all red wine.

🍷

He doesn't drink, so maybe he hasn't got a clue about the percentages?
    There seem to be plenty of both reds and whites under 11%.

Laithwaites have 79 and 36 respectively afaics.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Different behaviour?

Bulk densities are a fairly pointless metric, what matters is the distribution of crowdedness. You could change Denmark's population density hugely just by decided whether or not to include Greenland in the figures, but it would have no impact whatsoever to the transmission of the virus, because Copenhagen, Aarhus, Odense, and so on would all have exactly the same conditions.
  • Options

Are you betting on Smarkets? That market is a lead by 2 November which is next Tuesday, not the end of the year.

The graph isn't showing any matched bets for today yet. If your bet isn't matched and you've just put it on hoping it gets selected at better odds than what's currently available you may want to cancel your bet if you didn't realise the market ends on Tuesday not the end of the year.
    No I am not.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Hm - it's certainly not as good as I'd like given it's half term.
    I'd maintain that the fall started before half term though.
    It'll be interesting to see how the various age brackets are doing in a few days.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that - I misread where we were 7 days ago. I'd rate the fall so far as 'about the minimum I'd like to see to be confident we're going in the right direction.'
  • Options
    Are people clutching at straws re COVID as the fall has not arrived, wrong again why am I not surprised.

Plan B now.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The R from cases peaked around the 16th, so it isn't the half term...
    Rolling 7-day peak was on 20th with 46.7K cases. This was of course before half-term but could well be people not wanting to test before going away. There does seem to be a gradual decline but too soon to tell how much is caused by half term. I still think there can't be many more school kids who have yet to develop immunity.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

England 41,498->37,502

Pillar 1 & 2 tests

19th October, 797990
    26th October, 732736

(91.8%)

Cases @ 90.3%.

There might be a true drop - but it's small.

It is the lateral flow tests that drop during school holidays isn't it?

They have a lower positivity rate than the PCR tests, so it might not be correct to compare ratios directly.

It does seem to be a very slow fall, though, particularly as the SW retest data will be dropping out.

Tomorrow likely to be slightly higher again (as usual)?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

Sure, but how can it have been any different? Our knowledge of case numbers is purely coming from tests taken. We need to stop reporting and stressing about the number of new infections and purely concentrate on hospitalisations.
    If we've hit "herd immunity" then true case numbers should drop. Anything policy related should be driven of course by hospitalisations as you say; and not by the flu/cold like symptons most healthy vaccinated people get as cases.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

It'll be interesting to see how the various age brackets are doing in a few days.
    The local R data from yesterday's run

https://i.imgur.com/WIZmlk7.png

Overal UK case R from yesterdays run

https://i.imgur.com/87vRIJb.png

R peaked on the 16th
  • Options

Which bookies? - I can't see that market up with Smarkets.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Pulpstar said:

For England

But that only goes up to the 21st.
  • Options

Different behaviour?

Raw population density isn't that important, surely, as number of people living in cities and in close proximity to each other. If the Highlands of Scotland suddenly declared in indepedence, it wouldn't result in case rates shooting up in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Are people clutching at straws re COVID as the fall has not arrived, wrong again why am I not surprised.

Plan B now.

I think there is a (small) fall, and hospitalisations look like they're falling a bit too. Plan B doesn't need to be case based unless it's at least at 100,000 and probably more.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Different behaviour?

Bulk densities are a fairly pointless metric, what matters is the distribution of crowdedness. You could change Denmark's population density hugely just by decided whether or not to include Greenland in the figures, but it would have no impact whatsoever to the transmission of the virus, because Copenhagen, Aarhus, Odense, and so on would all have exactly the same conditions.
    Yes but I'm not doing that. Denmark is not remotely as crowded as England and the towns and cities are both less crowded than English ones and they are more spread out from each other (which acts as a natural firebreak that can be lacking in England).
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Just watched the John Lewis advert - have I been in a cave for a few weeks?

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but the message seems to be - if you're a boy and you want to cause chaos (let's face it lots of boys do), make sure you put a dress and make up on first!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Plan B now.

I think there is a (small) fall, and hospitalisations look like they're falling a bit too.
    Even flat is pretty good, to be fair.
  • Options

Plan B now.

No straws, no need for a Plan B. What hasn't arrived is the collapse of the NHS or any reason to impose restrictions that you keep grasping for.
  • Options

New Thread

• Options
    Quite a performance by Scotland's Michael Leask against Namibia. He scored 44 off 27 balls.

The rest of the team have managed 49 off 71 balls so far.
  • Options
    THIS THREAD HAS HAD ITS UNIVERSAL CREDIT STOPPED
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ALERT ALERT, we have 3rd Doses on the dashboard

12% having had a booster is great - we really want to keep that improving, but that's very encouraging.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Just watched the John Lewis advert - have I been in a cave for a few weeks?

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but the message seems to be - if you're a boy and you want to cause chaos (let's face it lots of boys do), make sure you put a dress and make up on first!

The problem is that none of the damage is accidental - unless the parents completely lie on the claims form.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

R peaked on the 16th
    Yes but nothing will fall unless R is below 1...

Which I think it likely is now. Slightly. Very slightly.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Different behaviour?

Yes but I'm not doing that. Denmark is not remotely as crowded as England and the towns and cities are both less crowded than English ones and they are more spread out from each other (which acts as a natural firebreak that can be lacking in England).
    Awkwardly, it looks like Copenhagen's density is higher than London's.
    Frederiksberg is even higher.

I'll let others dig through the detail of that.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Different behaviour?

A quick google tells me Copenhagen has a higher population density than London.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943

Just heard Wes Streeting on R5 talking about the Budget. He was complaining about Amazon being given a massive tax break, and said the word Amazon about ten times.

Somehow, he doesn't know how it's pronounced.

It should be æməzən with the stress on the first syllable

He was saying æməzɒn (ie rhyming with con) with the stress on the final syllable

How has he never learnt to say it properly?

The way it was pronounced is the standard US pronunciation. Your way is English RP, but I think most people use the US pronunciation these days - I’ve certainly never heard it pronounced the RP way.

Since Amazon the company is a US company, pronouncing their name the way they do seems perfectly reasonable regardless.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

If we've hit "herd immunity" then true case numbers should drop. Anything policy related should be driven of course by hospitalisations as you say; and not by the flu/cold like symptons most healthy vaccinated people get as cases.
    What do you mean by true case numbers though? We can never know that. All we have is the tests and if we test more then more cases will appear (though they were of course there, undetected and harmless, already). We are testing oodles of healthy schoolchildren and I think we need to stop doing this. Test poorly ones only.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Farooq said:

Different behaviour?

beat you to it by a matter of seconds. There's probably so definition that needs to be examined in that, but I can't be arsed. E.g. does Copenhagen include Frederiksberg, Taarnby, etc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Different behaviour?

Raw population density isn't that important, surely, as number of people living in cities and in close proximity to each other. If the Highlands of Scotland suddenly declared in indepedence, it wouldn't result in case rates shooting up in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
    But overall population does generally matter because unless everyone is crowded into a single area then countries with low density tend to have more space between towns and cities, acting as more of a natural firebreak.

Take Edinburgh and Glasgow, if you compare it to the Highlands its densely population, but if you compare it to North West England its very sparsely populated. The land between Glasgow and Edinburgh is mostly farmland and relatively uninhabited compared to the land between Liverpool and Manchester, meaning that there's a firebreak there that doesn't exist here.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    Alistair said:

Farooq said:

Different behaviour?

Quite. And it doesn't matter a bit if the Great Funen Steppe exists in parallel with the Great Central Scottish Desert with its camel-trains from Leadhills to the port at Borrowstounness which the PBTories invented the last but 34 times we had this discussion. The maths are the maths.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

R peaked on the 16th
    Thanks Malmesbury - yes, I misread the figures!
This discussion has been closed.