Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov finds overwhelming support for NHS staff to be vaccinated – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Scots positivity is now back well above 10% at 11.5%.

Just a testament to how well targeted tests are in Scotland I guess.

Halfterm, too.
    In Scotland as well?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

More joined up thinking from the Tories. You have to go electric. But can only charge when the govt allows it. What a sh*tshow this govt are.

https://insideevs-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/insideevs.com/news/537120/ev-chargers-switched-off-uk/amp/

So electric chargers will be set to by default avoid peak (most expensive) hours but that can be overrode if required?

Seems sensible, what's your issue with that?
    That peaks are peaks for a reason. How would a rule that light bulbs should only be lit during the hours of daylight sound?
    Except there is no similarly good reason to be charging all cars at the same time. And the total demand will be many time greater.
    I imagine it will be fairly routine in the future for people to get home, park up, plug their car in then have it charged overnight at the cheapest possible time. That will share the load through the night.

If everyone got home, plugged their car in and immediately charged up simultaneously in the early evening right when demand peaks then that wouldn't be sensible.

Managing this smartly is entirely joined-up thinking. Spreading demand could be easier than spreading production.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Cookie said:

This may have been mentioned already but Prime video subscribers can watch Emma playing this afternoon. NB 16:00 but probs a bit later as match before wont be on court for a few mins yet.

And just for you all you Punsters out there, she is playing in Romania at the Transylvania Open. Got to be something for you to get your teeth into there. (and apologies if that's been done already too).

[Vic Reeves voice] RADUCANU!
    I just bought a bar of Tony's chocolate to show my support for Emma. Which brings me to:-
    Sainsbury's sitrep: about 70 per cent masked; massive gaps on shelves but perhaps this is due in part to rearranging stock to make room for Christmas, even though we still have halloween and Diwali to come in the next week or so.

Also the council is digging up the zebra crossing by the school near the fish and chip shop. No idea why.
    I was slightly taken aback in Sale earlier at how many people were masked in the fruit and vegetables section - which is the first bit you come to when you come out of the lift*. Around 70-80%. Which is a lot more than previously.
    This was not, however, echoed in the rest of the supermarket - overall levels were about 25%, which is normal.
    Either fruit and vegetable shoppers are much more cautious than others (possible - it's only a small step from buying some broccoli to reading the Guardian) or a lesson in the potential hazards of small subsections.

*The car park of this Tesco is on the roof, with a lift down to the store. For over a year the lifts have been limited to one family at a time. The signs setting this out have recently been removed - creating another potential source of covid related awkwardness. If there is someone in the lift but a space for you, do you enter it too? Or not? As you would expect, the not-masked are also more content to enter a lift you are already in; the masked hang back and wait for the next one.
    You're wrong. I'm a Guardian reader. I hate broccoli with a vengeance; it's Satan's vegetable.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    Taz said:

Taz said:

More joined up thinking from the Tories. You have to go electric. But can only charge when the govt allows it. What a sh*tshow this govt are.

https://insideevs-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/insideevs.com/news/537120/ev-chargers-switched-off-uk/amp/

If everyone in the county switches on their electric oven at the same time, the grid will go down.

Similar thing here.
    The National Grid work out what is necessary to supply electricity for everyone's Christmas Dinner, or post-Eastenders cup of tea. They don't remotely switch off your oven or kettle.

It makes sense to shift charging of cars at home to overnight rather than the evening, but they can find a more friendly and democratic way of achieving the same aim than remotely turning chargers off by force of law.

It's this sort of nonsense that has me still avoid the installation of a smart meter.
    But you get anomalies like night shift workers who would need to charge during the day if they cannot access a charger at work.

I really do not like the idea of smart meters but I suspect in the future we will all have To have them.
    Yes, and the exceptions are why you shouldn't try to enforce a one size fits all solution by force of law.
  • Options

Cookie said:

This may have been mentioned already but Prime video subscribers can watch Emma playing this afternoon. NB 16:00 but probs a bit later as match before wont be on court for a few mins yet.

And just for you all you Punsters out there, she is playing in Romania at the Transylvania Open. Got to be something for you to get your teeth into there. (and apologies if that's been done already too).

I just bought a bar of Tony's chocolate to show my support for Emma. Which brings me to:-
    Sainsbury's sitrep: about 70 per cent masked; massive gaps on shelves but perhaps this is due in part to rearranging stock to make room for Christmas, even though we still have halloween and Diwali to come in the next week or so.

Also the council is digging up the zebra crossing by the school near the fish and chip shop. No idea why.
    I was slightly taken aback in Sale earlier at how many people were masked in the fruit and vegetables section - which is the first bit you come to when you come out of the lift*. Around 70-80%. Which is a lot more than previously.
    This was not, however, echoed in the rest of the supermarket - overall levels were about 25%, which is normal.
    Either fruit and vegetable shoppers are much more cautious than others (possible - it's only a small step from buying some broccoli to reading the Guardian) or a lesson in the potential hazards of small subsections.

*The car park of this Tesco is on the roof, with a lift down to the store. For over a year the lifts have been limited to one family at a time. The signs setting this out have recently been removed - creating another potential source of covid related awkwardness. If there is someone in the lift but a space for you, do you enter it too? Or not? As you would expect, the not-masked are also more content to enter a lift you are already in; the masked hang back and wait for the next one.
    You're wrong. I'm a Guardian reader. I hate broccoli with a vengeance; it's Satan's vegetable.
    And I love broccoli. Its one of the only vegetables I like.

So between us I think we disprove Cookie's hypothesis.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2021

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

So electric chargers will be set to by default avoid peak (most expensive) hours but that can be overrode if required?

That peaks are peaks for a reason. How would a rule that light bulbs should only be lit during the hours of daylight sound?
    Except there is no similarly good reason to be charging all cars at the same time. And the total demand will be many time greater.
    I imagine it will be fairly routine in the future for people to get home, park up, plug their car in then have it charged overnight at the cheapest possible time. That will share the load through the night.

If everyone got home, plugged their car in and immediately charged up simultaneously in the early evening right when demand peaks then that wouldn't be sensible.

Managing this smartly is entirely joined-up thinking. Spreading demand could be easier than spreading production.
    Should be pretty simple, when you plug your car in, you program the car/meter with how much range you want, and when you want it by and let the grid do the rest. A small top up overnight should cost less per kWh/mile than a *full charge ASAP*
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Cookie said:

Sprouts are worse. They are the Devil's Droppings.
  • Options
    ping said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Should be pretty simple, when you plug your car in, you program the car/meter with how much range you want, and when you want it by and let the grid do the rest. A small top up overnight should cost less per kWh than a *full charge ASAP*
    I would imagine it should be possible to set a default, eg as cheap as possible a top-up to a minimum range with a top-up to fully charged if its cheap enough.

For the rare times you want a full charge ASAP then you can do an override.
  • Options

Cookie said:

What, you mean you're not a Guardian reader? Who'd have thought it?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Nail hit on head.

M & S's Mexican Three Bean Salad is the Devil's Diarrhea.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Most people commute, shop and travel in daylight hours and sleep overnight.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

So what's your issue with by-default charging overnight while sleeping?

With the default being able to be overrode if required.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114

Cookie said:

But Cookie's broader point was surely related to buyers and consumers of all fruit and vegetables, not merely broccoli eaters, and you freely admit to disliking most vegetables, even if broccoli is an exception. I would therefore argue that you prove Cookie's wider hypothesis.
    (I should add, I am a Guardian reader and like vegetables, although I don't buy many from the supermarket as we have an organic box delivered weekly by Abel and Cole, natch).
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I agree Philip. The default should be easily overideable anyway. As far as I am aware it doesn't apply to public chargers anyway, only home chargers.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Cookie said:

What, you mean you're not a Guardian reader? Who'd have thought it?
    Based on links posted here, I've always thought most of the lefties spend their time reading the Mail and Express in search of outrage/something to mock and the righties the Guardian, for the same reason. Was I wrong all along?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited October 2021
    deleted because I didn't read properly
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2021
    Blockchain without proof of work is just a Merkel Tree.

Merkel Trees are great but not new or revolutionary.

Blockchain with proof of work is an absolute disaster area of total economic insanity.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

A US investor is claiming that technologies like blockchain will 'bend the curve' on inflation. Any ideas on how blockchain can influence an economy to the extent that it changes inflationary pressures? What productivity gains does it bring to what types of economic activities?

To be frank, I don't know enough about how blockchain works to assess this assertion.

If it's in relation to crypto-currencies then, in theory, the currency will increase in value as the supply decreases owing to people forgetting their passwords, dying etc. and leaving the currencies languishing in virtual vaults never to be used again. Is that what he meant?
    The investor made her claim with reference to the technology, not to cryptocurrencies, and so I was wonder whether blockchains had other economic usefulness which might have a macroeconomic impact.
    There are lots of uses for blockchains, and I have no doubt they will be economically helpful in areas like insurance.

However, I cannot think of any macroeconomic impacts that would be sufficient to affect the inflation rate.
    It could potentially reduce inflationary pressure by providing a way for people to use their capital non-productively.
    How would providing a way for people to use their capital non-productively reduce inflationary pressure?
  • Options

Cookie said:

But Cookie's broader point was surely related to buyers and consumers of all fruit and vegetables, not merely broccoli eaters, and you freely admit to disliking most vegetables, even if broccoli is an exception. I would therefore argue that you prove Cookie's wider hypothesis.
    (I should add, I am a Guardian reader and like vegetables, although I don't buy many from the supermarket as we have an organic box delivered weekly by Abel and Cole, natch).
    Would it be mean to suggest, from their choice of recent Labour leaders, that most lefties like lemons and turnips?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Hmm Just realised that what I thought a smartmeter was for years is actually an In Home Display. And looking at what smartmeters actually look like I'm now wondering if I actually have a ~ 2015 Smartmeter in my house (I have no IHD) which functions precisely the same as a non smartmeter would.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Are we perhaps at cross purposes? How is overnight going to stay off peak if 97% of car owners want to/are constrained to charge their cars then? I assume without having a clue that a days worth of car charger is more then ones other electric consumption put together
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Blockchain without proof of work is just a Merkel Tree.

Merkel Trees are great but not new or revolutionary.

Blockchain with proof of work is an absolute disaster area of total economic insanity.

I thought Merkel Trees were an attempt to compensate for the emissions given off by burning lignite to make electricity...
  • Options
    Data freaks, try and contain your excitement...

Hugo Gye
    @HugoGye
    Word on the street is covid dashboard may be a bit late today because a new feature is being added... Eyes
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Would it be mean to suggest, from their choice of recent Labour leaders, that most lefties like lemons and turnips?
    Not quite right. We chose Corbyn because he had a wide range of fruit and veg on his allotment. Though it did turn out that the turnip was dominant, sadly.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Are we perhaps at cross purposes? How is overnight going to stay off peak if 97% of car owners want to/are constrained to charge their cars then? I assume without having a clue that a days worth of car charger is more then ones other electric consumption put together
    In a smart grid environment, you would have the cars staggered through the night, so everyone would wake up with a full tank of electrons, but not every car was charging between 8pm and 11pm.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

Hugo Gye
    @HugoGye
    Word on the street is covid dashboard may be a bit late today because a new feature is being added... Eyes

Must be third doses, hopefully they make the switch to ONS population data as well. It's tiring having to explain that the dashboard data is undercounts by between 10-15% per age group under 70.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Overnight is a long time though. And the chargers targetted here are (I assume) the fast ones that won't take all of overnight to charge a car. Overnight demand will indeed go up greatly - and may no longer be at a big discount to daytime use - but there are still many things that are needed more when people are awake: heating (at a higher level than at night, particularly relevant if that switches electric), lighting, TVs, computers, cookers, kettles. So it will make sense to charge the cars outside of peak times, whenever they are. The article states 0800-1100 and 1600-2200. There will also be a charging window in the middle of the day with peak solar, for example (most useful for those working at home or with charging at work). Having 'smart' chargers charging cars up when demand is non-peak, in the middle of the day and during sleeping hours makes sense.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

If everyone in the county switches on their electric oven at the same time, the grid will go down.

Similar thing here.
    The National Grid work out what is necessary to supply electricity for everyone's Christmas Dinner, or post-Eastenders cup of tea. They don't remotely switch off your oven or kettle.

It makes sense to shift charging of cars at home to overnight rather than the evening, but they can find a more friendly and democratic way of achieving the same aim than remotely turning chargers off by force of law.

It's this sort of nonsense that has me still avoid the installation of a smart meter.
    But you get anomalies like night shift workers who would need to charge during the day if they cannot access a charger at work.

I really do not like the idea of smart meters but I suspect in the future we will all have To have them.
    Yes, and the exceptions are why you shouldn't try to enforce a one size fits all solution by force of law.
    How about we have 'on peak' and 'off peak' pricing for electricity? Electric cars (and chargers) could then be setup to prefer off peak, unless specifcally over-ridden. As everything is connected these days, the grid could broadcast when it was in an off peak or on peak state. This could also be done at a local level so as to minimise transmission losses, and to prevent every car in the whole country starting to charge similtaneously.

We could call it something like... Electricity Seven...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hugo Gye
    @HugoGye

I feel bad as the numbers all reflect real people but 4pm provides a level of excitement when the new data appear.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

In a smart grid environment, you would have the cars staggered through the night, so everyone would wake up with a full tank of electrons, but not every car was charging between 8pm and 11pm.
    Also in a smart grid environment I imagine it would be adaptable so if the winds or waves were generating more energy today at 2am, with a lull in generation at 4am, then more vehicles could be charged at 2am.

If a fortnight later its the other way around, then vice-versa.
  • Options
    I got my Covid booster shot yesterday. It was a half dose of Moderna.

Sore arm, and don't feel 100%, but generally in good shape.

Given I'm coming to the UK in a few weeks, I thought it better to be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Given I'm coming to the UK in a few weeks, I thought it better to be safe than sorry.

The only thing I'm looking forwards to about visiting my mother in law on Switzerland is getting my booster shot there as I'm eligible for a first dose.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Are you flying with Delta?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Cookie said:

No meaner than suggesting that most righties like fat sacks of jizz (TM Dura_Ace).
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Hugo Gye
    @HugoGye

Must be third doses, hopefully they make the switch to ONS population data as well. It's tiring having to explain that the dashboard data is undercounts by between 10-15% per age group under 70.
    Is the case count total covid infections, or the total number of people that have ever had Covid ?

As we're up to 8 million cases, presumably there are some reinfections now ?

I don't mind which is displayed, but the dashboard isn't 100% clear.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Also in a smart grid environment I imagine it would be adaptable so if the winds or waves were generating more energy today at 2am, with a lull in generation at 4am, then more vehicles could be charged at 2am.

Exactly. The grid would broadcast when it had excess generating capacity.

If you want to do it properly, you might have three different levels: super peak (i.e. we're approaching capacity), regular and peak, and off peak.

People could be paid by the grid to automatically turn down air conditioners, lights, etc., when the grid was in a super peak state.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

All sounds lovely, but also a putting a quart in a pint pot scenario.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Similar thing here.

How about we have 'on peak' and 'off peak' pricing for electricity? Electric cars (and chargers) could then be setup to prefer off peak, unless specifcally over-ridden. As everything is connected these days, the grid could broadcast when it was in an off peak or on peak state. This could also be done at a local level so as to minimise transmission losses, and to prevent every car in the whole country starting to charge similtaneously.

We could call it something like... Electricity Seven...
    I remember economy 7, my gran had it for her storage heaters. The only downside was the day rate was higher than an ordinary tariff.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The only thing I'm looking forwards to about visiting my mother in law on Switzerland is getting my booster shot there as I'm eligible for a first dose.
    Were you AZ first?

There's a really interesting piece of research I saw showing which booster you want, depending on which first doses you got. I'll dig it out, but the 'maximum antibody response' is either AZ followed by Moderna, or Moderna followed by Pfizer.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I would have thought it would be better to reduce the charging current rather than staggering. That or charge stepwise (a few % at a time).

There's always a chance a car owner might have to make an emergency dash instead of following their normal pattern of usage, so leaving any car empty until much later might be a problem.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    40k UK cases today, so England 32k when it updates - falling again - expect front page cases to be green, and the media to go in to frenzy about a meaningless reported deaths figure after welsh and weekend catch up all converged.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I've forwarded this exchange to your mother in law.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I would have thought that overnight demad would still be low as cooking, heating and factories are usually not consuming then.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    edited October 2021
    The specimen date rolling rate for England has gone ever so slightly down.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    40,954, including a double helping from Wales.

Still looking good...

Edit: (Relatively!)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Were you AZ first?

There's a really interesting piece of research I saw showing which booster you want, depending on which first doses you got. I'll dig it out, but the 'maximum antibody response' is either AZ followed by Moderna, or Moderna followed by Pfizer.
    Pfizer, Switzerland is mostly doing Moderna aiui. My wife is Moderna.
  • Options

Still looking good...

Apparently a triple-helping from Wales. Good solid 4.5K case drop in England from last week.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Sean_F said:

AlistairM said:

Cookie said:

Nail hit on head.

M & S's Mexican Three Bean Salad is the Devil's Diarrhea.
    that's enough to make a sinner lower their expectations.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Foss said:

The specimen date rolling rate for England has gone ever so slightly down.

Looks like the SW has definitely peaked. Cheltenham, owner of highest cases per 100k figure in England, is clearly on a sharp downward trend.

• Options
    AlistairM said:

Still looking good...

Apparently a triple-helping from Wales. Good solid 4.5K case drop in England from last week.
    It's not really triple, though, because of a flagging issue. They explain that the true number of new cases is ~8,000 of which only 5,288 appear in the table.

So double is actually closer.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I would have thought it would be better to reduce the charging current rather than staggering. That or charge stepwise (a few % at a time).

There's always a chance a car owner might have to make an emergency dash instead of following their normal pattern of usage, so leaving any car empty until much later might be a problem.
    Could also be easily implemented with connected chargers. Probably need to have a few settings in the cars and sensible defaults. Cars with under X range, for example, get some priority. You can get priority charging by paying a bit more or allow yourself to be de-prioritised and pay a bit less, all within pre-defined limits.

All this, of course, applies to other stuff like home appliances and is supposed to be the smart-metering dream. We'll need to realise that dream to make more efficient use of energy, particularly with fluctuating supplies if we want to minimise on demand gas power station use etc.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    edited October 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

The point is to have as few peaks as possible.
    Only a tiny percentage of drivers will discharge more than 20% of their battery capacity on a given day, so it won't take anywhere near all night to recharge for the vast majority of drivers - but if everyone plugs in when they get home, there would be a fairly short, but huge peak in demand, if the grid were not able dynamically to stagger demand.

All this is some ways off, but the regulatory environment is required first.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Halfterm, too.
    In Scotland as well?
    No schools all back up here
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Still looking good...

Cases aren't high enough for a triple helping unless the case rate has collapsed in Wales.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AlistairM said:

Still looking good...

Cases aren't high enough for a triple helping unless the case rate has collapsed in Wales.
    "Because of technical issues at Public Health Wales yesterday, the cases and deaths reported today cover a 72-hour period. However, due to further technical issues, not all cases in the 72-hour period have been flagged as new. The true number of new cases since the previous update is likely to be just over 8,000. The cumulative total is unaffected by this reporting issue."
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/26/uk-shares-property-capital-gains-tax

Interesting piece on the ability of the super-rich to reduce their tax burden by realising income through capital gains. Apparently those with incomes over £9mn a year are paying an effective tax rate of just 21%. That's about half of mine. Not amused!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Only a tiny percentage of drivers will discharge more than 20% of their battery capacity on a given day, so it won't take anywhere near all night to recharge for the vast majority of drivers - but if everyone plugs in when they get home, there would be a fairly short, but huge peak in demand, if the grid were not able dynamically to stagger demand.

"Only a tiny percentage of drivers will discharge more than 20% of their battery capacity on a given day"

Is that true? I would be quite interested in the data.
  • Options

Alistair said:

AlistairM said:

Still looking good...

"Because of technical issues at Public Health Wales yesterday, the cases and deaths reported today cover a 72-hour period. However, due to further technical issues, not all cases in the 72-hour period have been flagged as new. The true number of new cases since the previous update is likely to be just over 8,000. The cumulative total is unaffected by this reporting issue."
    Wales still using old Excel files?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Halfterm, too.
    In Scotland as well?
    Not everywhere, Aberdeenshire still off til November I think.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

So, I have had an electric car since the original Tesla Roadster in 2010 (wow).

Most days when you get home, the car is at 70% or so, and so you plug it in. It then charges to 85% (which is the limit you set to maximise battery life).

The only times you let an electric car go to zero is if you have been on a roadtrip.

My current electric car is setup to work with smart grids (albeit my part of California doesn't have one).

In the car, you have various settings (all of which can be changed or overridden on a one-off basis):

- a 'charge to this level no matter what the price of electricity is' setting
    - a 'this is the time by which I need my car charged' setting
    - a 'charge to this level for everyday use' setting

So, you might have it set to charge to 40% as quickly as possible and irrespective of the price of electricity, a 8am time to be charged by, and a 85% target charge rate.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/26/uk-shares-property-capital-gains-tax

Interesting piece on the ability of the super-rich to reduce their tax burden by realising income through capital gains. Apparently those with incomes over £9mn a year are paying an effective tax rate of just 21%. That's about half of mine. Not amused!

I dare say you're not surprised either.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Halfterm, too.
    In Scotland as well?
    Not everywhere, Aberdeenshire still off til November I think.
    Blimey they get 2 full weeks. We just had a week and a day in Edinburgh.
  • Options

I dare say you're not surprised either.
    Not entirely, although the extent of the difference between their tax rate and my own is bigger than I would have expected. Perhaps that is a mark of naivety on my part.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    edited October 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How has the government so comprehensively fucked this up. They should have introduced vaxports ten weeks ago. And now we’d be free. Fucking cretins

No. No. No.

Whether you like it or not, I’m right. We need 85% of the country vaxxed. That hasn’t happened because we’ve let refuseniks like Dura Ace live normally.

Now we approach another lockdown, a much greater imposition on our liberty - and economy - and mental health - than a bloody online certificate of vaccination
    We’re really not approaching another lockdown. Chill.
    The news - everywhere - suggests otherwise. This looks very much like another belated panicky handbrake turn by Boris

I hope half term slows the growth and I’m proven wrong.

They should bring in vaxports anyway. Everywhere else is doing it, so it will be the only way of ever travelling
    You're forgetting that @Cookie was on here yesterday 'proving' that we passed the peak earlier this week.
    I don't always notice the notifications on vanilla that I've been @'d. But I've just noticed the above from a couple of nights ago, and *cough*toldyouso*cough* thought it relevant in the context of today's figures.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

"Only a tiny percentage of drivers will discharge more than 20% of their battery capacity on a given day"

UK average is twenty something miles per day:
    https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/cheap-car-insurance/average-car-mileage-uk

Which is going to be less than 10% of the battery capacity of the vast majority of EVs.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

If your vehicle has a range of 250 miles, then 20% of that is 50 miles a day.

The average number of miles per year is about 7,400 in the UK. But the median is under that - so probably around 5,500.

That means that most cars are driven 30 miles a day or less.

Of course there is a subset of users who drive a lot: sales reps, taxi drivers, etc. But they aren't most. And for some of the people (particularly the sales reps), electric cars are clearly not the right option.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Halfterm, too.
    In Scotland as well?
    Yep. Some of it anyway.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 780
    It seems clear we're gone past the peak of this mini-wave, but it's not yet obious whether we'll see a sustained fall or further peaks and troughs within the 25k-50k range.

My guess is the latter, which is still manageable. Even if we have to endure clamouring for Plan B / lockdown every time we're on an upwards trend.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Were you AZ first?

Pfizer, Switzerland is mostly doing Moderna aiui. My wife is Moderna.
    Pfizer followed by Moderna will be great.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

40k UK cases today, so England 32k when it updates - falling again - expect front page cases to be green, and the media to go in to frenzy about a meaningless reported deaths figure after welsh and weekend catch up all converged.

Tony Idiot Livesy on R5 still cannot understand the weekly covid cycle - 'cases up today on yesterday' FFS. How, 18 months in, do we still have this shit?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Which is going to be less than 10% of the battery capacity of the vast majority of EVs.
    Based on my current vehicle usage it would be nil during the week, then a random 50% or more at the weekend.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

Spaghetti is my favourite vegetable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVo_wkxH9dU

The spaghetti-tree hoax was a three-minute hoax report broadcast on April Fools' Day 1957 by the BBC current-affairs programme Panorama, purportedly showing a family in southern Switzerland harvesting spaghetti from the family "spaghetti tree". At the time spaghetti was relatively unknown in the UK, so many British people were unaware that it is made from wheat flour and water; a number of viewers afterwards contacted the BBC for advice on growing their own spaghetti trees. Decades later, CNN called this broadcast "the biggest hoax that any reputable news establishment ever pulled" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti-tree_hoax
    I tried growing vegetable spaghetti on the allotment once.

https://www.suttons.co.uk/vegetable-seeds/popular-seeds/squash-seeds-vegetable-spaghetti_MH-28900
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    dixiedean said:

PM to oppose raw sewage amendment.
    It has served him well thus far after all.

I thought this had been voted down already?
  • Options
    Chancellor's pre budget footwear getting such much warranted attention on the twitters

Palm Angels sliders.

I wonder how many focus groups they needed to pick those out
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The spaghetti-tree hoax was a three-minute hoax report broadcast on April Fools' Day 1957 by the BBC current-affairs programme Panorama, purportedly showing a family in southern Switzerland harvesting spaghetti from the family "spaghetti tree". At the time spaghetti was relatively unknown in the UK, so many British people were unaware that it is made from wheat flour and water; a number of viewers afterwards contacted the BBC for advice on growing their own spaghetti trees. Decades later, CNN called this broadcast "the biggest hoax that any reputable news establishment ever pulled" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti-tree_hoax

https://www.suttons.co.uk/vegetable-seeds/popular-seeds/squash-seeds-vegetable-spaghetti_MH-28900
    They look quite nice!

That you tried growing it once suggests it wasn't a roaring success?
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Tony Idiot Livesy on R5 still cannot understand...
    Of course he can't.
    His whole thing is being an amiable idiot.
  • Options

Chancellor's pre budget footwear getting such much warranted attention on the twitters

Palm Angels sliders.

I doubt those are going to induce any @TheScreamingEagles envy.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Palm Angels sliders.

Ugh!
    Men (and indeed women): do not wear socks with sliders. Indeed, if you're male, any footwear item which would fly off in the event of an air-kick is a no-no.

For a giddy moment, I thought they were 'Paris Angels' sliders and the chancellor was choosing an odd way to celebrate mid 90s indie/rave crossover.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    From 1978-2000 barely a quarter of Hollywood cinema films were sequels or remakes or instalments.

By 2019 well over 50% were suggesting a serious decline in creativity amongst filmmakers, certainly on the big screen at least
    https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1451936568025960455?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

maaarsh said:

Of course he can't.
    I just find it so incredibly frustrating.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

They look quite nice!

They are.

You can fry it with butter.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

maaarsh said:

Of course he can't.
    I just find it so incredibly frustrating.
    That's my experience of his program, too.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Based on my current vehicle usage it would be nil during the week, then a random 50% or more at the weekend.
    I don't think you're going to break the grid.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

They look quite nice!

They are.

You can fry it with butter.
    That's rarely a bad way to cook vegetables!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

From 1978-2000 barely a quarter of Hollywood cinema films were sequels or remakes or instalments.

By 2019 well over 50% were suggesting a serious decline in creativity amongst filmmakers, certainly on the big screen at least

But the number of releases doubled in the last two decades.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/187122/movie-releases-in-north-america-since-2001/

So creativity remained constant, while output rose ?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I don't think you're going to break the grid.
    Probably not!

It is shocking how short most car journeys are, though. I wonder if this will get even worse when they can be justified as 'green'? Even less incentive to get the bike out (or just walk).
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Tony Idiot Livesy on R5 still cannot understand the weekly covid cycle - 'cases up today on yesterday' FFS. How, 18 months in, do we still have this shit?
    To bw fair during the June to July rise quite a lot of people on PB didn't understand it either.
  • Options
    Quinton de Kock looks to be the new Kaepernick, excluded for refusing to take part in a mandatory political statement
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

If it's being used equally throughout the day, then we won't need off-peak any more.

That will be a more efficient way to use electricity, which we will see coming.

On the other point, there is nothing to stop anyone charging their car at any time with a granny cable, or from their own solar panels / Tesla battery etc.
  • Options

It needs to be addressed
  • Options
    Alistair said:

maaarsh said:

To bw fair during the June to July rise quite a lot of people on PB didn't understand it either.
    People on PB don't get paid to whip up panic buying comment sensibly on the news...
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Quinton de Kock looks to be the new Kaepernick, excluded for refusing to take part in a mandatory political statement

Will sport in 2022 be about players getting their Kocks out before kick off in support?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nah, it is a testament to the franchise era.

3 Marvel films including the highest grossing film of all time, the DCEU, Star Wars, Frozen, and Jumanji films were released in 2019.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Palm Angels sliders.

I doubt those are going to induce any @TheScreamingEagles envy.
    Oh Lordy.

Does Rishi know that Palm Angel is a euphemism for onanists?
  • Options
    Ratters said:

It seems clear we're gone past the peak of this mini-wave, but it's not yet obious whether we'll see a sustained fall or further peaks and troughs within the 25k-50k range.

My guess is the latter, which is still manageable. Even if we have to endure clamouring for Plan B / lockdown every time we're on an upwards trend.

My guess (and I will admit to being a bit of an optimist) is that so long as the government actually encourages everyone to get boosters, then we should see incidence drop to the sub 5k level, with occasional hotspots flaring up.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Will sport in 2022 be about players getting their Kocks out before kick off in support?
    Rather undermines the whole process - now it's explicit that compliance is mandatory it's impossible to know if any other player believes in it at all or is just safeguarding their career by keeping their head (and knee) down.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

Nah, it is a testament to the franchise era.

3 Marvel films including the highest grossing film of all time, the DCEU, Star Wars, Frozen, and Jumanji films were released in 2019.
    I am not saying they are not popular and financially successful, however original they are not.

If you want originality go to TV or Netflix or Amazon Prime
This discussion has been closed.