Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov finds overwhelming support for NHS staff to be vaccinated – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114
    Nigelb said:

Some interesting tables in this article;
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58171814

I hadn't realised the average diesel car carrying four passengers produces less than half the CO2 emissions (per passenger) of the average bus.

That's comparing a full car with an average (ie not full) bus. And the bus makes short journeys with frequent stops and starts, which you are comparing to all car journeys including long distance journeys at a constant speed. It is notable that a coach emits less carbon per passenger km than a full car.

Might be interesting to see what changes people on PB are making to do their bit. Our contributions as follows:

Cutting down on local car journeys - taking bus and cycling where possible
    Double glazing our house
    Reducing flights (we already take our summer holidays in the UK, and for obvious reasons haven't flown since 2019)
    Cycling to work
    Buying second hand clothes

We already have 100% renewable electricity; I am vegetarian and as a family we only eat beef once a fortnight plus chicken and fish once a fortnight too.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

You can't protest on the M25 if you've just been launched by a trebuchet into the North Sea.

Tough on twits, tough on the causes of twits.

Vote Morris Dancer.

A Trébuchet? Sounds kind of French, what's wrong with a good old English catapult (greek and latin words don't count)?
    A particular type of catapult, designed to throw heavy objects a long distance:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet

Otherwise you might just wade back to shore.
    And for an explanation of the various types of siege catapults and their underlying physics (and hence Mr Dancer's predilection for the trebuchet), see: https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/catapult-physics.html
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548

eek said:

You can't protest on the M25 if you've just been launched by a trebuchet into the North Sea.

Vote Morris Dancer.

Has the PB space trebuchet been retired then?
    The maximum range has been reduced for carbon emission reasons.
    Surely only an issue on re-entry on suborbital misfires...
    I thought trebuchets worked on twisted cow-intestines, or similar?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Nigelb said:

I hadn't realised the average diesel car carrying four passengers produces less than half the CO2 emissions (per passenger) of the average bus.

Yep, be interesting - as usual - to see the detail of the calcs (may well be in the cited source). Is that a bus with an average number of passengers? Or a full bus? Likely very different numbers. The fact that buses do so badly compared to coaches is perhaps due to stopping often/different routes? Similar vehicles otherwise. Was the car compared to a similar journey by bus or using a combined MPG (urban and non urban) for the car?

Still, interesting....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Vote Morris Dancer.

A Trébuchet? Sounds kind of French, what's wrong with a good old English catapult (greek and latin words don't count)?
    A particular type of catapult, designed to throw heavy objects a long distance:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet

Otherwise you might just wade back to shore.
    And for an explanation of the various types of siege catapults and their underlying physics (and hence Mr Dancer's predilection for the trebuchet), see: https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/catapult-physics.html
    That's why I build Trebuchets as a hobby.

MURLIN is the ultimate design... so far.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Yep, be interesting - as usual - to see the detail of the calcs (may well be in the cited source). Is that a bus with an average number of passengers? Or a full bus? Likely very different numbers. The fact that buses do so badly compared to coaches is perhaps due to stopping often/different routes? Similar vehicles otherwise. Was the car compared to a similar journey by bus or using a combined MPG (urban and non urban) for the car?

Still, interesting....
    And do the figures for diesel car efficiency come from VW?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

That's comparing a full car with an average (ie not full) bus. And the bus makes short journeys with frequent stops and starts, which you are comparing to all car journeys including long distance journeys at a constant speed. It is notable that a coach emits less carbon per passenger km than a full car.

Might be interesting to see what changes people on PB are making to do their bit. Our contributions as follows:

Double glazing our house
    Reducing flights (we already take our summer holidays in the UK, and for obvious reasons haven't flown since 2019)
    Cycling to work

We already have 100% renewable electricity; I am vegetarian and as a family we only eat beef once a fortnight plus chicken and fish once a fortnight too.
    You pay for 100% renewable electricity.

You use the same supply as everybody else.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Double glazing our house
    Cycling to work

Looks good.

On the double glazing, what quality are you going for (u-value?). The best 2G is now nearly as good as average 3G. Make sure they don't leave air gaps around the outside or leave it open to the cavity. Detail is (nearly) everything.

Are you doing all the other stuff, as well?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Still, interesting....
    Buses are often built like bridges - so they drag round vast amounts of weight for what they do.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

Nigelb said:

Yes, it is only single person cars that are worse. The same goes for diesel trains. I suppose the argument might be that the bus is going anyway, but increasing their frequency to replace shared cars is not a winner.

Buses also seem to be exempt from emissions rules, at least round here. You wouldn't want to follow one on a bicycle.

They seem to be an ideal use case for conversion to battery power.
    They absolutely are.
    The upfront capital cost is large, though (ditto the charging facilities), so it will take a while.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Double glazing our house
    Cycling to work

You pay for 100% renewable electricity.

You use the same supply as everybody else.
    Oh wow thanks that never occurred to me, I thought we had our own special cables direct from the nearest wind turbine...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196

Taz said:

Taz said:

darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

“WE DECLARE THE M25 A SITE OF NONVIOLENT CIVIL RESISTANCE”

"... on the morning of Wednesday 27th October the M25 will become a place of nonviolent civil resistance to stop our government committing crimes against humanity."

They are doing their cause enormous harm

Arrest them all under the new law and deal with it accordingly
    To be fair as far as protests go it’s very effective. Everyone is talking about it.
    Who could disagree that insulation is good idea?

`
    I would disagree that £500bn of public money going into insulation is a good idea.

The comparison with the suffragettes is silly. The suffragettes are far from the first and far from the last version of civil disorder. Most such civil disorder burns out and gets forgotten about, the suffragettes are remembered as they are the exception not the rule.

Though its worth remembering that hundreds and possibly over a thousand of the suffragettes were imprisoned. Hundreds were sent to Holloway alone.

If hundreds of the Insulate Britain terrorists start getting imprisoned then that would start to be comparable.

But where does this end. They are fanatics. They won’t be appeased and the police and govt are completely toothless in dealing with them. The party of law and order cannot protect our borders and cannot stop various eco extremists disrupting the M25 with the knock on effects that has on peoples lives and jobs down there.

How does this end now without a major climb down on either of the sides as the authorities have allowed it to get to this stage without nipping it in the bud.
    What the police need to do more of, is deploy (more of) a completely inhumane and terrifying weapon.....

Cups of tea.

Standard procedure when someone fastens themselves to something is to feed them cups of tea. After a while, the attached party becomes interested in being unattached. Rapidly....

I've heard stories that protestors who chained themselves to something, threw the keys away and then abused the police discovered that Constable Savage had lost his bolt cutters at that point.....
    I believe the cups of tea and cakes have been tried several times in London already. The Met May be inept At policing but they are not bad at taking protesters order for elevenses.
    I remember a story that some US cops were startled by this approach, when observing the Met at work. Then impressed, when an hour or so later (after the reporters had wandered off).....
    That's fine if someone's chained themselves to some bollards or fencing and people can just walk around them.

Its a different matter when they've glued themselves to the roads that people are trying to drive through.
    Bollards to you 'n all!

Impeding people going about their lawful business is unacceptable on almost all levels.

There is something to be said for US tactics in this instance. Skin grafts after having one's suoerglued face left on the tarmac as one is removed to the police van would focus the mind too.

A bit reactionary I know. At this rate l'll be voting Tory at GE 2024.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Double glazing our house
    Cycling to work

Looks good.

On the double glazing, what quality are you going for (u-value?). The best 2G is now nearly as good as average 3G. Make sure they don't leave air gaps around the outside or leave it open to the cavity. Detail is (nearly) everything.

Are you doing all the other stuff, as well?
    Just starting the double glazing process, getting some quotes. It will all be new wooden sashes as we live in a conservation area. Any useful tips gratefully received. Not sure we will ever get the house insulated well enough for a heat pump, will have to see how that technology and its alternatives evolve.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, it is only single person cars that are worse. The same goes for diesel trains. I suppose the argument might be that the bus is going anyway, but increasing their frequency to replace shared cars is not a winner.

Buses also seem to be exempt from emissions rules, at least round here. You wouldn't want to follow one on a bicycle.

They absolutely are.
    The upfront capital cost is large, though (ditto the charging facilities), so it will take a while.
    Electric buses starting to be used round where we are.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

I hope Nick Clegg is enjoying his millions, while the company he sold out to burns democracy down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/facebook-knew-radicalized-users-rcna3581

Does that includes its banning of Far Right parties like the BNP and Britain First and also banning the EDL on Facebook? To be honest I think Zuckerberg tries to keep some sort of balance politically for both left and right without letting too many extremists in.

Twitter in any case is a more political social media than Facebook and Instagram
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/apr/18/facebook-bans-far-right-groups-including-bnp-edl-and-britain-first
    I was addressing my post to decent human beings. Not those that want to overturn presidential elections and support the restarting of military violence in Northern Ireland when their side loses. I don't care what terrible human beings like yourself think.
  • Options

Owen Paterson is paid £8,333 for 16 hours a month's work by Randox, and has been for several years. That's £100k on top of his MPs salary. That's £520 per hour; it would take somebody on the new minimum wage 54 hours to earn what he earns in one hour from Randox. (He also gets an extra £12k per annum from the other company involved).

That's very generous of Randox, and I wouldn't for one moment suggest that they would expect any lobbying in return. I'm sure he'd be worth every penny even if he weren't an MP.

Entirely coincidentally, Randox has won several lucrative contracts for Covid testing.

No further comment from me. I shall now read the Standards Commitee Report.

What a grafter. A bit like the care worker who does an hour's cleaning before work and pulls pints in a bar in the evening to supplement the derisory income.

Keep it up Owen.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Don't you have hybrid buses where you are?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,006
    edited October 2021
    Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

I hope Nick Clegg is enjoying his millions, while the company he sold out to burns democracy down.

Does that includes its banning of Far Right parties like the BNP and Britain First and also banning the EDL on Facebook? To be honest I think Zuckerberg tries to keep some sort of balance politically for both left and right without letting too many extremists in.

Twitter in any case is a more political social media than Facebook and Instagram
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/apr/18/facebook-bans-far-right-groups-including-bnp-edl-and-britain-first
    I was addressing my post to decent human beings. Not those that want to overturn presidential elections and support the restarting of military violence in Northern Ireland when their side loses. I don't care what terrible human beings like yourself think.
    Which still does not defeat my point.

I did not advocate overturning Presidential elections, merely pointed out Congress has to confirm EC vote results under the Constitution and Electoral Count Act 1887.

I did not advocate terrorism in Northern Ireland. I merely pointed out the IRA led a terrorist campaign in NI and GB for decades when Nationalist areas of NI faced direct rule from London, until the GFA. Loyalist areas' must also be respected. The GFA only worked because both sides agreed to share power, not with London or Dublin imposing direct rule over the province.

Remember the DUP originally opposed the GFA in 1998 and most DUP voters voted against it in that year's referendum even if NI as a whole voted for it. It was only when Paisley agreed to share power with SF and ex IRA McGuiness that peace really came to Northern Ireland
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Still, interesting....
    The emissions on the car are rather higher than my 2018 2 litre TD diesel estate, which is 119g/km. When the car weighs about 1.7 tonnes, the number of people is not that importanr.

It looks better than the normal BBC fare stats-wise. They are given to taking a global average and pretending it applies to the UK. Here, at least we have ranges.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    This may have been mentioned already but Prime video subscribers can watch Emma playing this afternoon. NB 16:00 but probs a bit later as match before wont be on court for a few mins yet.

And just for you all you Punsters out there, she is playing in Romania at the Transylvania Open. Got to be something for you to get your teeth into there. (and apologies if that's been done already too).
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Aslan said:

Some of these Facebook files are jaw dropping. An internal investigation to examine the impact of extremism created a fake profile of a Christian suburban mother in North Carolina. Within two days Facebook was recommending she join QAnon groups. Another test created a fake profile of a politically neutral Indian man. Within two weeks it was sending him content supporting violent attacks on Muslims. In Myanmar, it actively spread content coordinating the Rohingya genocide.

What's also astonishing is that 90% of Facebook users are outside the US but its moderation teams only spend 13% of their hours on non-US users. Nick Clegg's beloved employer does not give a damn about its effect outside the US.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Nigelb said:

80% of new buses in the Netherlands last year were fully electric; the UK about 8%:
    https://think.ing.com/articles/all-aboard-europes-electric-bus-revolution-290921
    In the UK, the city of London announced plans to completely decarbonise its fleet of over 9,000 buses by 2034, which was earlier targeted for 2037. By the spring of 2021, only 487 were classified as zero emission, meaning that 8,500 buses will have to be replaced by zero emission ones in 13 years. The Confederation of Passenger Transport has set a target for all new buses to be ultralow or zero-emission by 2025. The aim is that all sales of new buses are zero-emission by 2035. ...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

I did not advocate overturning Presidential elections, merely pointed out Congress has to confirm EC vote results under the Constitution and Electoral Count Act 1887.

I did not advocate terrorism in Northern Ireland. I merely pointed out the IRA led a terrorist campaign in NI and GB for decades when Nationalist areas of NI faced direct rule from London, until the GFA. Loyalist areas' must also be respected. The GFA only worked because both sides agreed to share power not with London or Dublin imposing direct rule over the province.

Remember the DUP originally opposed the GFA in 1998 and most DUP voters voted against it in that year's referendum even if NI as a whole voted for it. It was only when Paisley agreed to share power with SF and ex IRA McGuiness that peace really came to Northern Ireland
    A lesson in how to deny two serious accusations whilst simultaneously confirming them.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Mr. 4u, the space cannon, solar-powered death ray, and multiple trebuchets remain fully operational!

Isn't the solar powered death ray - just a good prism / repurposed magnify glass.
  • Options

This may have been mentioned already but Prime video subscribers can watch Emma playing this afternoon. NB 16:00 but probs a bit later as match before wont be on court for a few mins yet.

And just for you all you Punsters out there, she is playing in Romania at the Transylvania Open. Got to be something for you to get your teeth into there. (and apologies if that's been done already too).

[Vic Reeves voice] RADUCANU!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

I did not advocate terrorism in Northern Ireland. I merely pointed out the IRA led a terrorist campaign in NI and GB for decades when Nationalist areas of NI faced direct rule from London, until the GFA. Loyalist areas' must also be respected. The GFA only worked because both sides agreed to share power not with London or Dublin imposing direct rule over the province.

A lesson in how to deny two serious accusations whilst simultaneously confirming them.
    If the left and liberals dislike facts, tough
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. eek, for obvious reasons I can't explain precisely how the solar death ray works but I can confirm it is not comparable to a magnifying glass.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

The fact you would support terrorism by "your" team?
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

No I did not.

However plenty on the left supported terrorism by the IRA against direct rule by London when Nationalists and Catholics were a minority in Northern Ireland. Imposing direct rule by Dublin on heavy loyalist and DUP areas of Northern Ireland will never end well. That is just reality. Peace in Northern Ireland only works through powersharing at Stormont ultimately between the DUP and SF and no hard borders. That includes no hard border in the Irish Sea as well as in Ireland and I hope Lord Frost can remove the former given the protests in loyalist areas already over it
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

80% of new buses in the Netherlands last year were fully electric; the UK about 8%:
    https://think.ing.com/articles/all-aboard-europes-electric-bus-revolution-290921
    In the UK, the city of London announced plans to completely decarbonise its fleet of over 9,000 buses by 2034, which was earlier targeted for 2037. By the spring of 2021, only 487 were classified as zero emission, meaning that 8,500 buses will have to be replaced by zero emission ones in 13 years. The Confederation of Passenger Transport has set a target for all new buses to be ultralow or zero-emission by 2025. The aim is that all sales of new buses are zero-emission by 2035. ...
    There are 3,884 hybrid buses, 485 electric buses, and two hydrogen buses operating in London, as of March 2021, out of a total bus fleet of 9,068.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_emission_buses_in_London
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They absolutely are.
    Electric buses starting to be used round where we are.
    One Mayor of London paid for a new design of hybrid bus, which was designed to be converted to fully electric when batteries became cheaper.

I wonder what happened to him?
  • Options
    eek said:

Mr. 4u, the space cannon, solar-powered death ray, and multiple trebuchets remain fully operational!

Isn't the solar powered death ray - just a good prism / repurposed magnify glass.
    See this documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w6FV8P7HXg
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    After all the criticism about Anthony Fauci, it’s going to be hilarious if the thing that brings him down is dead beagles *

* although it’s not hilarious what they did to the dogs, it’s downright despicable
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Nigelb said:

Double glazing our house
    Cycling to work

These were not, in most cases, motivated purely by being green - cost savings with all, too:
    - Cycling to work (30m round trip) and consequently selling one car
    - Finally replaced the loft hatch for a larger, but far better insulated version (old one was plywood with gaps around it) which also means we can store more things in the loft that wouldn't previously go through the hatch.
    - Bought a heat pump tumble dryer*
    - Have a Pi hooked up to the solar generation meter and main meter so we can see live power generation and use and try and put appliances (washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher) on when they can use only the solar power**
    - Also contemplating extensions that will completely cover one solid external wall with a well insulated extension and half cover another, which will also involve removing poorly ancient double glazing and (presumably) poorly isulated flat roofs. Not finalised yet, but likely electric heated, rather than extending the gas boiler-powered central heating run (again, this is partly cost too)

*This is actually great all over, very low power draw. Very rare we run this and it's not all covered by the solar. Takes maybe double the time of a conventional heating element jobby (lower heat) but means you can tumble dry everything, including the low temp stuff together. Also doesn't melt any plastic etc left in by mistake (a child's bib liner melted in a previous one and made a right mess)

**Would be great to have this built into the appliances themselves of course (with some kind of do it when there's enough solar or do it within X hours anyway setting). It's rare that we need to do any of these things are some exact time of day, putting them on and having them run when the solar power is sufficient saves money. Whether it's actually green is debatable - power we use is not exported to the grid, so we're not actually increasing green energy production - but it saves us money (we're paid for generation and an assumed % export, so we don't lose any money by using more ourselves).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

Darling: So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshal Haig is most anxious to eliminate all these German spies.

Melchett: Filthy Hun weasels fighting their dirty underhand war!

Darling: And, fortunately, one of *our* spies–

Melchett: Splendid fellows, brave heroes, risking life and limb for Blighty!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    More joined up thinking from the Tories. You have to go electric. But can only charge when the govt allows it. What a sh*tshow this govt are.

https://insideevs-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/insideevs.com/news/537120/ev-chargers-switched-off-uk/amp/
  • Options

That's in Cluj Napoca I think.

I went to a nightclub there once called the Boiler Room.

It was a massive boiler room, with all the boilers taken out. They'd left all the pipes sticking out of the walls, which were tricky to negotiate after several beers..
  • Options
    Taz said:

More joined up thinking from the Tories. You have to go electric. But can only charge when the govt allows it. What a sh*tshow this govt are.

https://insideevs-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/insideevs.com/news/537120/ev-chargers-switched-off-uk/amp/

If everyone in the county switches on their electric oven at the same time, the grid will go down.

Similar thing here.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scots positivity is now back well above 10% at 11.5%.

Just a testament to how well targeted tests are in Scotland I guess.
  • Options

Taz said:

If everyone in the county switches on their electric oven at the same time, the grid will go down.

Similar thing here.
    If these jokers are going to increase demand for something they need to increase supply to offset it.
  • Options
    Mr. Ed, I've only heard the basics of that. But it reminded me of something I read about medieval brutality.
  • Options
    Taz said:

So electric chargers will be set to by default avoid peak (most expensive) hours but that can be overrode if required?

Seems sensible, what's your issue with that?
  • Options
    eek said:

For some of us with lighter complexions, it's simply known as 'sunlight' :wink:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

We also dislike the storming of the Capitol Building and a potential return to the troubles.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

It was a massive boiler room, with all the boilers taken out. They'd left all the pipes sticking out of the walls, which were tricky to negotiate after several beers..
    yep that's the place. and looks like that nightclub might still be going.

https://www.facebook.com/events/form-space/boiler-room-open-dancefloor-x-cluj-at-form-space/608933290243881/
  • Options

I remember that (hard to forget!). Went to a friend's wedding in the town.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

We also dislike the storming of the Capitol Building and a potential return to the troubles.
    I never supported storming the Capitol Building which was illegal. Majorities of both chambers of the elected Congress objecting to the EC results however would be both legal and not unconstitutional. I did not support that either, merely stated it would be legal.

You will get a return to the troubles if you replace powersharing in NI with direct rule from either London again or Dublin which is why I oppose any return of direct rule in NI unless the DUP and SF cannot agree to share power (which of course removing the Irish sea border would also help avoid)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718

Taz said:

So electric chargers will be set to by default avoid peak (most expensive) hours but that can be overrode if required?

"electric car chargers installed at home or at the workplace may not function for up to nine hours a day"
    So I drive to work, plug in and then try to drive home and find the charger has been switched off all the time?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Similar thing here.
    If these jokers are going to increase demand for something they need to increase supply to offset it.
    It's not about supply as such.

If everyone tries to fill their petrol tank at the same time....

It's about demand spreading. if everyone plugs in and tries to start charging between 6 and 7pm, then that would create a spike faster than the grid can react. If you bring load on over a period of time....

This is one reason why the next generation super chargers are looking at having storage attached - so they pull electricity from the grid at convenient times. Which then leads to the possibility of selling power back into the grid...
  • Options
    What everyone needs is a second car battery at home charging whenever the wind is blowing, and they can just be charged with @OnlyLivingBoy's more virtuous electricity.
  • Options

What everyone needs is a second car battery at home charging whenever the wind is blowing, and they can just be charged with @OnlyLivingBoy's more virtuous electricity.

{Tesla PowerWall has entered the chat}
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Taz said:

"electric car chargers installed at home or at the workplace may not function for up to nine hours a day"
    So I drive to work, plug in and then try to drive home and find the charger has been switched off all the time?
    Highly unlikely if you read the details.
    ...the proposed law stipulates that electric car chargers installed at home or at the workplace may not function for up to nine hours a day to avoid overloading the national electricity grid.

As of May 30, 2022, new home and workplace chargers being installed must be “smart” chargers connected to the internet and able to employ pre-sets limiting their ability to function from 8 am to 11 am and 4 pm to 10 pm. However, users of home chargers will be able to override the pre-sets should they need to, although it’s not clear how often they will be able to do that.

In addition to the nine hours a day of downtime, authorities will be able to impose a “randomized delay” of 30 minutes on individual chargers in certain areas to prevent grid spikes at other times. ...

If they don't impose such restrictions, the grid might need another 50% capacity on top of what will be required to meet the growth in the number of EVs.
  • Options
    As someone who has long derided the madness of making everything electrical I'd like to take a moment to cackle.
  • Options

A Powerwall or equivalent within the home is going to be where all batteries end up eventually. weight and space won't matter so even if they are running at 50% efficiency they will work well enough within a home to serve the purposes required.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

As someone who has long derided the madness of making everything electrical I'd like to take a moment to cackle.

Can't you hook your enormo-haddock up to a generator?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2021
    The only thing left for Rishi to announce tomorrow, are the tax rises.

I don’t think his PR strategy has been particularly good.
  • Options
    eek said:

A Powerwall or equivalent within the home is going to be where all batteries end up eventually. weight and space won't matter so even if they are running at 50% efficiency they will work well enough within a home to serve the purposes required.
    Yup - but the interesting bit will be using mass storage at pretty much every super charger. Which means a massive, de-centralised power storage system.

Apparently it's already being looked for time shifting electricity generation .
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    Alistair said:

Scots positivity is now back well above 10% at 11.5%.

Just a testament to how well targeted tests are in Scotland I guess.

Halfterm, too.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

I never supported storming the Capitol Building which was illegal. Majorities of both chambers of the elected Congress objecting to the EC results however would be both legal and not unconstitutional. I did not support that either, merely stated it would be legal.

You will get a return to the troubles if you replace powersharing in NI with direct rule from either London again or Dublin which is why I oppose any return of direct rule in NI unless the DUP and SF cannot agree to share power (which of course removing the Irish sea border would also help avoid)
    Where are you putting your border?
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, indeed not. The enormo-haddock are sentient beings.

Mr. Ping, maybe we'll have a fourth type of income tax to look forward to.
  • Options
    A US investor is claiming that technologies like blockchain will 'bend the curve' on inflation. Any ideas on how blockchain can influence an economy to the extent that it changes inflationary pressures? What productivity gains does it bring to what types of economic activities?

To be frank, I don't know enough about how blockchain works to assess this assertion.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

No need for one, use technology to avoid a hard border as David Davis suggested. That was a fair offer from the UK government given the GFA only requires no security checkpoints at the Irish border, not no customs checks.

It was the EU who demanded a border in the Irish sea for a trade deal with GB.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

Highly unlikely if you read the details.
    ...the proposed law stipulates that electric car chargers installed at home or at the workplace may not function for up to nine hours a day to avoid overloading the national electricity grid.

As of May 30, 2022, new home and workplace chargers being installed must be “smart” chargers connected to the internet and able to employ pre-sets limiting their ability to function from 8 am to 11 am and 4 pm to 10 pm. However, users of home chargers will be able to override the pre-sets should they need to, although it’s not clear how often they will be able to do that.

In addition to the nine hours a day of downtime, authorities will be able to impose a “randomized delay” of 30 minutes on individual chargers in certain areas to prevent grid spikes at other times. ...

If they don't impose such restrictions, the grid might need another 50% capacity on top of what will be required to meet the growth in the number of EVs.
    Sensible to allow optimisation. Will help meet any limitations imposed by the grid. Time shifting demand is the other side of the coin of time shifting generation.

Have they dealt with the current issue with smart meters where people cannot get mobile phone signals?
  • Options

Boiler Room is a company that stream(ed) live DJ sets, with the crowd right up to the DJ.

Which leads, in turns, to the spoofs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCcUsGJo_U
  • Options
    ping said:

What tax rises are left?

NI increases have been announced.

Tax bands remaining the same have been announced.

Corporation tax rates changes were announced in March.

All that is left duty and odds and sods.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263

Taz said:

Similar thing here.
    The National Grid work out what is necessary to supply electricity for everyone's Christmas Dinner, or post-Eastenders cup of tea. They don't remotely switch off your oven or kettle.

It makes sense to shift charging of cars at home to overnight rather than the evening, but they can find a more friendly and democratic way of achieving the same aim than remotely turning chargers off by force of law.

It's this sort of nonsense that has me still avoid the installation of a smart meter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

No need for one, use technology to avoid a hard border as David Davis suggested. That was a fair offer from the UK government given the GFA only requires no security checkpoints at the Irish border, not no customs checks.

I thought this was a pipe dream rather than reality.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    TimT said:

A US investor is claiming that technologies like blockchain will 'bend the curve' on inflation. Any ideas on how blockchain can influence an economy to the extent that it changes inflationary pressures? What productivity gains does it bring to what types of economic activities?

To be frank, I don't know enough about how blockchain works to assess this assertion.

Blockchain - solves all problems that never existed yet none that actually do.

I have never seen a solution that wasn't better served by a decent database.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Politely, it sounds a load of sh***.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Nigelb said:

TimT said:

Politely, it sounds a load of sh***.
    Fixed-quantity crypto vs capitalism. You can't have both. I choose capitalism.
  • Options

Taz said:

Similar thing here.
    The National Grid work out what is necessary to supply electricity for everyone's Christmas Dinner, or post-Eastenders cup of tea. They don't remotely switch off your oven or kettle.

It makes sense to shift charging of cars at home to overnight rather than the evening, but they can find a more friendly and democratic way of achieving the same aim than remotely turning chargers off by force of law.

It's this sort of nonsense that has me still avoid the installation of a smart meter.
    But you get anomalies like night shift workers who would need to charge during the day if they cannot access a charger at work.

I really do not like the idea of smart meters but I suspect in the future we will all have To have them.
  • Options

Taz said:

Similar thing here.

No doubt you will, for a significant premium, be able to have an interruptible supply.
    Though probably more economic just to get a powerwall.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Nigelb said:

I think two people in a car is also worse, per person kilometre, than a bus.
    The average bus in Greater Manchester carries about ten people. Which is not that many. Of course, if we can improve the attractiveness of bus, then that average will go up and emissions per person-kilometre will go down without doing anything with the engine.
    I would expect buses to get significantly cleaner in the next decade. We are at the very start of a replacement process, and most buses are still living out their lifespans. But in five years the mix will be very different.
    Increasing their frequency will drive up the attractiveness of bus, which will result in more buses - there's a virtuous circle involved here - but I don't think we'd want to drive up frequency if it resulted in much lower average occupancy.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2021
    eek said:

ping said:

What tax rises are left?

Possibly CGT rates/thresholds/reliefs and there’s an outside chance of a dividend tax rise & IHT.

It depends on whether Rishi takes onboard the OTS view that wealth taxes should be aligned with income taxes.

I don’t think he’s laid the groundwork for major changes, although I wouldn’t be surprised to be surprised, if you get what I mean. Most of the CGT fear stories are sourced only to accountants (who use budgets to drum up business and get free PR) and we haven’t heard a peep from the treasury. Who knows?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    eek said:

ping said:

What tax rises are left?

Wealth taxes and property taxes, and abolition of CGT main residence exemption :smile: .

Lots of places where these can be adjusted Brown style to generate a few billion.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

It was the UK government that agreed to the EU demand by signing a treaty giving consent to it.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

I remember that (hard to forget!). Went to a friend's wedding in the town.
    I learned on the way to Sibiu, while changing planes in Munich, that the German name for Transylvania is Siebenbürgen meaning Seven Cities. I believe that much of it was colonised by Saxons from the 12C on, and the seven cities were the ones they'd established.

Before that it was called Überwald, which was a translation of the earlier Latin name Ultrasilvania ( from terra ultra sylvum land beyond the forest)
  • Options

Taz said:

Similar thing here.

I can also see that there will be a "higher rate" option that allows you to jump the queue.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    ping said:

eek said:

ping said:

What tax rises are left?

Possibly CGT rates/thresholds/reliefs and there’s an outside chance of a dividend tax rise & IHT.

It depends on whether Rishi takes onboard the OTS view that wealth taxes should be aligned with income taxes.

I don’t think he’s laid the groundwork for major changes, although I wouldn’t be surprised to be surprised, if you get what I mean. Most of the CGT fear stories are sourced only to accountants (who use budgets to drum up business and get free PR) and we haven’t heard a peep from the treasury. Who knows?
    dividend tax rise has already been done - it's now 8.75% - it was announced alongside the NI changes.

Which leaves little left to touch...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited October 2021
    TimT said:

If it's in relation to crypto-currencies then, in theory, the currency will increase in value as the supply decreases owing to people forgetting their passwords, dying etc. and leaving the currencies languishing in virtual vaults never to be used again. Is that what he meant?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

I thought this was a pipe dream rather than reality.
    Thought to be doable in several years, but iirc Varadkar stopped his Irish Government talking about it and got teh EU on board, which whichever Brit was talking at the time agreed to.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993

TimT said:

If it's in relation to crypto-currencies then, in theory, the currency will increase in value as the supply decreases owing to people forgetting their passwords, dying etc. and leaving the currencies languishing in virtual vaults never to be used again. Is that what he meant?
    Is the investor Cathy Wood?
  • Options

I just bought a bar of Tony's chocolate to show my support for Emma. Which brings me to:-
    Sainsbury's sitrep: about 70 per cent masked; massive gaps on shelves but perhaps this is due in part to rearranging stock to make room for Christmas, even though we still have halloween and Diwali to come in the next week or so.

Also the council is digging up the zebra crossing by the school near the fish and chip shop. No idea why.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

It was the UK government that agreed to the EU demand by signing a treaty giving consent to it.
    But with the proviso that the consent would only exist if the Protocol doesn't cause any trade diversion, nor if it leads to serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties that are liable to persist.

If causes issues then the consent can be withdrawn entirely legally within the provisions of the Treaty.

Seems a reasonable compromise. So has any trade diversion happened? Are there any serious difficulties liable to persist?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Is the investor Cathy Wood?
    One of the great contrary indicators.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

No doubt to my mind that the Insulate Britain protests are damned effective at doing what they seek to do: getting the issue of insulation into the public consciousness.

Are they annoying? Yes.

Do they push it too far? Certainly.

Is it effective? I'm afraid so.

But literally nobody is making the case that we shouldn't be insulating our homes. Most of us our insulating our homes.
    By default, I'm quite enthusiastic about environmental causes. Pillocks like these make me less sympathetic to their cause.
    I think the BBC should be showing balance when they cover the Insulate Britain protests by focusing on those groups seeking to criminalise the act of insulating homes.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Taz said:

That peaks are peaks for a reason. How would a rule that light bulbs should only be lit during the hours of daylight sound?
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

Had the UK government not agreed to it and gone to No Deal not only would the economy have been much more badly hit than with the post Brexit trade deal we now have with the EU but there would also have been a hard border in Ireland. So there would still be tensions in NI, just on the nationalist not loyalist side.

A technological solution would have been possible with the basic checks of a FTA, less possible with no trade deal with the EU at all
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Four passengers - of course - means five people in total.

Which is actually rather more people than are likely to be on a bus outside of rush hour.
  • Options

TimT said:

The investor made her claim with reference to the technology, not to cryptocurrencies, and so I was wonder whether blockchains had other economic usefulness which might have a macroeconomic impact.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

That peaks are peaks for a reason. How would a rule that light bulbs should only be lit during the hours of daylight sound?
    That's not what's being proposed here. What's being proposed is that the default should be that the charger would wait until off-peak before charging, but if charging now is necessary then that default can be overrode.

That's entirely logical.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    PM to oppose raw sewage amendment.
    It has served him well thus far after all.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

The investor made her claim with reference to the technology, not to cryptocurrencies, and so I was wonder whether blockchains had other economic usefulness which might have a macroeconomic impact.
    There are lots of uses for blockchains, and I have no doubt they will be economically helpful in areas like insurance.

However, I cannot think of any macroeconomic impacts that would be sufficient to affect the inflation rate.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Yes it is very useful for some.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Lance Corporal Francois lambasting real soldiers at the select committee.

What a plonker...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    edited October 2021

I just bought a bar of Tony's chocolate to show my support for Emma. Which brings me to:-
    Sainsbury's sitrep: about 70 per cent masked; massive gaps on shelves but perhaps this is due in part to rearranging stock to make room for Christmas, even though we still have halloween and Diwali to come in the next week or so.

Also the council is digging up the zebra crossing by the school near the fish and chip shop. No idea why.
    I was slightly taken aback in Tesco in Sale earlier at how many people were masked in the fruit and vegetables section - which is the first bit you come to when you come out of the lift*. Around 70-80%. Which is a lot more than previously.
    This was not, however, echoed in the rest of the supermarket - overall levels were about 25%, which is normal.
    Either fruit and vegetable shoppers are much more cautious than others (possible - it's only a small step from buying some broccoli to reading the Guardian) or a lesson in the potential hazards of small subsections.

*The car park of this Tesco is on the roof, with a lift down to the store. For over a year the lifts have been limited to one family at a time. The signs setting this out have recently been removed - creating another potential source of covid related awkwardness. If there is someone in the lift but a space for you, do you enter it too? Or not? As you would expect, the not-masked are also more content to enter a lift you are already in; the masked hang back and wait for the next one.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Except there is no similarly good reason to be charging all cars at the same time. And the total demand will be many time greater.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

There are lots of uses for blockchains, and I have no doubt they will be economically helpful in areas like insurance.

However, I cannot think of any macroeconomic impacts that would be sufficient to affect the inflation rate.
    It could potentially reduce inflationary pressure by providing a way for people to use their capital non-productively.
This discussion has been closed.