Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

YouGov finds overwhelming support for NHS staff to be vaccinated – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited October 2021

The BBC should be looking at itself with that low percentage .The cost is low compared to Sky etc but not so compared now to streaming services like Netflix and Amazon. I used to be a big fan of the BBC but my support is waning given the lowering quality of its output not least its website (which comes across like a cross between Hello magazine (with obsession about celebrity and voxpops and individual (not very ) sob stories ), a Listen with Mother episode (in its dumbing down) and a Student Union publication (in its wokeness )

Also two really really annoying things about the BBC

Thought for the Day - God knows why Radio 4 persist with this tripe which is always a seniro religious figure getting on the latest woke bandwagon and not only contorting it so that it excuses religion but also making it sound like their religion supported the wokeness all its existence. A sickly 5 minutes of OTT patronising hypocritical drivel.

"fact checking " usually done with anyone on the right of politics who has said something that is slightly off message . Smacks of compete arrogance and bias - as if the BBC is the absolute authority on truth and integrity?

I've been wondering if you could get some traction in the UK with a single-issue End The License Fee Party, along the lines of the Japanese Party To Protect The People From NHK.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,463
    edited October 2021
    Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

The government needs to go postal on these morons.

Headteachers have described the “sinister” intimidation tactics being used by protesters against the vaccination against Covid of teenagers in schools.

“It started with a few emails from a group calling itself Lawyers for Freedom,” the Guardian was told by the headteacher of one of a number of Liverpool schools that have come under pressure from anti-vaccine activists. “An email is relatively easy to ignore.”

The protests soon escalated, however, with “aggressive” leafleting of pupils by five or six protesters as they left school. The head dialled 999, but the police did not come.

“It felt disproportionate,” said the head. “We know there was at least one student who came back into school and was quite upset by what was going on.”

That was followed by a visit from a small group of protesters who gained access to the school, demanded to meet the head, then served quasi-legal documents warning that they would be held legally responsible if any child suffered death or harm from these “experimental vaccines”.

The same has happened at a number of Liverpool secondary schools. The encounters were typically filmed on a mobile phone then posted on the social media app Telegram by a group calling itself Liverpool’s People’s Resistance UK, naming schools and in some cases teachers, declaring, “Notice served.”

“It was pretty aggressive,” the head said. “They came up to reception asking to speak to the headteacher about a legal matter. They insist on reading from a script and they film the whole process on a mobile.

“Once they’ve handed the papers over, they tend to disappear. They’ve got the footage they want. It almost feels like it’s a trophy. There are Trumpian undertones to what these groups are doing. If they started describing themselves as patriots, I wouldn’t be surprised.”

The numbers of protesters involved is hard to pin down. An investigation by the Liverpool Post found that parents appeared to be contacting a group administrator called George to arrange for a visit and for papers to be served on their school. Having visited the school, they then boast about frightening teachers and at one point say about a headteacher: “She can’t run, she can’t hide.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/26/liverpool-headteachers-describe-sinister-tactics-of-anti-vaxx-protesters

Presumably they have no right to enter the school. Once it becomes apparent what they intend they shouldn't be pandered to by allowing them to serve their nonsense papers. They should be forcibly removed from the school and then surrounded when the pupils leave the school if it is 5 or 6 protestors.
    Who will forcibly remove them?
    I did think of that issue when I posted what I said. Now I know it isn't the job of teachers and other staff, but if low in numbers and not aggressive or drunk I would have thought they could be bundled out and the doors locked. I appreciate if it escalates that might not be possible. They shouldn't be allowed to serve these so called papers.
    Even touching one of the protesters would put the school staff and school managemernt at the risk of prosecution for assault. Big no-no. Get the polis in.
    Well it shouldn't unless they really do assault them. They are trespassing. You should be able to use reasonable force to remove them and you should be able to protect students from them. I would remove someone who entered my house whom I didn't invite in.

Am I going all HYUFD?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

dixiedean said:

Ole's at the wheel, OLE'S AT THE WHEEL NANANANANANA.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is expected to remain in charge for Saturday’s trip to Tottenham after Manchester United’s hierarchy held crisis talks over the manager’s future and the team’s collapse amid serious concerns about how their season is unravelling.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/10/26/players-lose-faith-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-manchester-united/

Apparently Salah handed in a transfer request this morning.
    He wants to play for Spurs on Saturday.
    When United were at their zenith under Sir Alex I went into a meeting at the club with Bobby Charlton and we were chatting about the fantastic successes we were having and Bobby said never forget good times come and go and enjoy them while you can

Wise words from the great man

And on a relevant point

Premier league titles

Manchester United 13

Liverpool 1
    Oh, football began in 1992?
    Premier league did
    Dodgy sub-sample
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is expected to remain in charge for Saturday’s trip to Tottenham after Manchester United’s hierarchy held crisis talks over the manager’s future and the team’s collapse amid serious concerns about how their season is unravelling.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/10/26/players-lose-faith-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-manchester-united/

When United were at their zenith under Sir Alex I went into a meeting at the club with Bobby Charlton and we were chatting about the fantastic successes we were having and Bobby said never forget good times come and go and enjoy them while you can

And on a relevant point

Premier league titles

Manchester United 13

Liverpool 1
    At least you didn't concede 5 at home to Watford. There is that.
    I remember in the eighties coming home from matches with my daughter (both season ticket holders at the time) devastated at the way the team was playing then along came Alex and the success he bought and over many years endured

I can say with some certainty that none of the present mangers of Liverpool, City or Chelsea will be in their jobs as long as Alex
    Though if longevity at the same club was the sole metric for success then you could say the same about the present managers versus Arsene Wenger. But I'd rate Klopp and Pep above Wenger.

I've always felt that Arsenal being managed by Arsene Wenger was a bit of nominative determinism though.
    Wolfgang Wolf used to manage Wolfsburg.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

It is a very sad story to be fair involving his wife's suicide
    Makes no difference to the fact that he should clearly be thrown out.
    Compassion your strong point ?
    Don't be so sanctimonious. The man has broken the rules and the process needs to be followed. This isn't about punishing him, it's about having a better standard of representatives.

If we were only thinking about punishing the guilty then he's suffered enough, but we aren't. This is about our democracy.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

And on a relevant point

Premier league titles

Manchester United 13

Liverpool 1
    I remember in the eighties coming home from matches with my daughter (both season ticket holders at the time) devastated at the way the team was playing then along came Alex and the success he bought and over many years endured

I can say with some certainty that none of the present mangers of Liverpool, City or Chelsea will be in their jobs as long as Alex
    Though if longevity at the same club was the sole metric for success then you could say the same about the present managers versus Arsene Wenger. But I'd rate Klopp and Pep above Wenger.

I've always felt that Arsenal being managed by Arsene Wenger was a bit of nominative determinism though.
    Little known* fact that his middle name is 'Al' :wink:

Shame he wasn't German - Arsenal could have been known as the Vengaboys

*Ok, completely unknown, even by Arsene and his parents, but still.
  • kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Headteachers have described the “sinister” intimidation tactics being used by protesters against the vaccination against Covid of teenagers in schools.

“It started with a few emails from a group calling itself Lawyers for Freedom,” the Guardian was told by the headteacher of one of a number of Liverpool schools that have come under pressure from anti-vaccine activists. “An email is relatively easy to ignore.”

The protests soon escalated, however, with “aggressive” leafleting of pupils by five or six protesters as they left school. The head dialled 999, but the police did not come.

“It felt disproportionate,” said the head. “We know there was at least one student who came back into school and was quite upset by what was going on.”

That was followed by a visit from a small group of protesters who gained access to the school, demanded to meet the head, then served quasi-legal documents warning that they would be held legally responsible if any child suffered death or harm from these “experimental vaccines”.

The same has happened at a number of Liverpool secondary schools. The encounters were typically filmed on a mobile phone then posted on the social media app Telegram by a group calling itself Liverpool’s People’s Resistance UK, naming schools and in some cases teachers, declaring, “Notice served.”

“It was pretty aggressive,” the head said. “They came up to reception asking to speak to the headteacher about a legal matter. They insist on reading from a script and they film the whole process on a mobile.

“Once they’ve handed the papers over, they tend to disappear. They’ve got the footage they want. It almost feels like it’s a trophy. There are Trumpian undertones to what these groups are doing. If they started describing themselves as patriots, I wouldn’t be surprised.”

The numbers of protesters involved is hard to pin down. An investigation by the Liverpool Post found that parents appeared to be contacting a group administrator called George to arrange for a visit and for papers to be served on their school. Having visited the school, they then boast about frightening teachers and at one point say about a headteacher: “She can’t run, she can’t hide.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/26/liverpool-headteachers-describe-sinister-tactics-of-anti-vaxx-protesters

Presumably they have no right to enter the school. Once it becomes apparent what they intend they shouldn't be pandered to by allowing them to serve their nonsense papers. They should be forcibly removed from the school and then surrounded when the pupils leave the school if it is 5 or 6 protestors.
    I did think of that issue when I posted what I said. Now I know it isn't the job of teachers and other staff, but if low in numbers and not aggressive or drunk I would have thought they could be bundled out and the doors locked. I appreciate if it escalates that might not be possible. They shouldn't be allowed to serve these so called papers.
    Even touching one of the protesters would put the school staff and school managemernt at the risk of prosecution for assault. Big no-no. Get the polis in.
    Well it shouldn't unless they really do assault them. They are trespassing. You should be able to use reasonable force to remove them and you should be able to protect students from them. I would remove someone who entered my house whom I didn't invite in.

Am I going all HYUFD?
    No - you haven't included tanks !!!!
  • Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Don't be so sanctimonious. The man has broken the rules and the process needs to be followed. This isn't about punishing him, it's about having a better standard of representatives.

If we were only thinking about punishing the guilty then he's suffered enough, but we aren't. This is about our democracy.
    I am not arguing about the process which should be followed but he has lost his wife over this
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

I am not arguing about the process which should be followed but he has lost his wife over this
    So we can offer him the compassion he deserves whilst also throwing him out
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,584

Farooq said:

It is a sad story - but according to the committee's account, he is seeking unfairly to blame them:
    ...the standards committee said there was no evidence Stone had shown any evidence of bias and called it “completely unacceptable” for Paterson to have made “unsubstantiated, serious, and personal allegations” against the work of his scrutineers...
    What seems reasonably clear is that he was gratuitously in breach of the lobbying rules for a long period of time.
  • Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

So we can offer him the compassion he deserves whilst also throwing him out
    And that depends on the process and his electors
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Selebian said:

From the BBC Climate Change Quiz

3. Let's look at when you leave your home. What's the best transport choice for the climate: buying an electric car or using public transport as much as possible?

Hmm, I'd like to see a full life cycle analysis on that!

Maybe 'using the electric care you already have', but it would take some journeys before you could justify the manufacturing emissions of the EV. Also, if the bus is running anyway then your marginal contribution to its emissions are minimal (your extra weight).

I think I posted here before about the analysis (cited in a PhD thesis I examined) that an efficienct ICE car could be greener than walking, which also didn't stand up to much scrutiny.

Edit: Also, for extra pedantry, what about if 'public transport' is an electric train with only a walk at either end? Quite common in the SE at least - that's my brother's commute, when he goes into the London office.
    Also, the "battery-powered car charged with renewable energy" - how on earth do you ensure that your car is only charged with renewable energy? Obviously you can sometimes do it if you happen have your own solar panels and wind turbine to charge from, but how else?
    My electricity provider claims to supply me with 100% renewable energy. I suppose I could use it to charge a car.
    Does your electricity bill provider give you new green plug sockets in your house that only give you the good electricity?
    You can specify renewab le only with Scottish Power. Butr presumably the other customers get the bad karma.
    Had this debate with my mum recently (who, many moons ago, worked in billing for the Eastern Electricity Board). The 'green only' electricity companies commit to buying only electricity from renewable sources, so signing up guarantees that the amount of electricity you use is also bought from a green source. Two interesting consquences:
    1. Doesn't necessarily increase green generation in the UK - if the needs of people on these tariffs can be met enitrely through existing green generation then - indeed - other peole just get notionally more of the 'dirty' stuff :wink:
    2. If everyone signed up for such a tariff then we'd be royally screwed at present. We'd reach that point at present (perhaps? depends how many on such tariffs) if green customers consumption had to be matched with green generation on e.g. an hourly or daily basis...
    But such price signals add up, and make a difference.
    One of the UK's larger generators (SSE) has already started to move its business completely to renewables.
    Yep, not a bad thing by any means. But it would be strengthened by a degree more matching - I assume it's just done on an annual basis? Smart meters would make quite fine matching possible and would, if a reasonable number of people were signed up, push renewable capacity to cover their demand even in the troughs of renewable generation.
  • dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

And on a relevant point

Premier league titles

Manchester United 13

Liverpool 1

A fair comparison vs Wenger would be if Klopp stays at Liverpool twenty years and has to come up against the next generation of coaches and tactics. Wengers first 5-10 years were very strong, and innovative, but he was out of date by the end. It is likely, but not inevitable, that the same will apply to Klopp by 2030.
  • Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

It is a sad story - but according to the committee's account, he is seeking unfairly to blame them:
    ...the standards committee said there was no evidence Stone had shown any evidence of bias and called it “completely unacceptable” for Paterson to have made “unsubstantiated, serious, and personal allegations” against the work of his scrutineers...
    What seems reasonably clear is that he was gratuitously in breach of the lobbying rules for a long period of time.
    I am not suggesting he should not be subject to due process but I do acknowledge his wife committed suicide over it
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,463

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?
    Maybe each school should be issues with one?
  • Selebian said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

And on a relevant point

Premier league titles

Manchester United 13

Liverpool 1

Didn't his father fight in the German army on the Eastern Front in WW2?

I think they lived in Alsace and he was conscripted after the German annexation.

The BBC should be looking at itself with that low percentage .The cost is low compared to Sky etc but not so compared now to streaming services like Netflix and Amazon. I used to be a big fan of the BBC but my support is waning given the lowering quality of its output not least its website (which comes across like a cross between Hello magazine (with obsession about celebrity and voxpops and individual (not very ) sob stories ), a Listen with Mother episode (in its dumbing down) and a Student Union publication (in its wokeness )

Also two really really annoying things about the BBC

Thought for the Day - God knows why Radio 4 persist with this tripe which is always a seniro religious figure getting on the latest woke bandwagon...

It's less than 5 minutes a day. Don't the woke/religious deserve at least that much representation ?

Can't you just change stations to get the sports news (I do) ?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Got the Pixel, definitely feels like I'm in the modern era!
  • kjh said:

kjh said:

4 or 5 protestors usually means 12-20 police, so you can see the problem.

Unfortunately I have to deal with this stuff for my job, for hospitals.
    I got the impression it was rather different from the sort of stuff you get in hospitals with drunks, addicts and mental health issues which often turn very nasty. You also can't lock the doors to a hospital.

I appreciate if it gets out of hand that it might not be possible.
    I meant this sort of thing:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/anti-vaxx-nhs-hospital-nuremberg-code-b1942573.html
    edited October 2021

Selebian said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

And on a relevant point

Premier league titles

Manchester United 13

Liverpool 1

Didn't his father fight in the German army on the Eastern Front in WW2?

I think they lived in Alsace and he was conscripted after the German annexation.
    I didnt know that, but complete brain fail from me - his name is of course pronouced with a V sound, isn't it? D'oh! The heritage would make sense, given the name

(And I used to call myself an Arsenal fan, back when I paid any attention, which included the first half or so of Wenger's reign...)
  • Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

I am not suggesting he should not be subject to due process but I do acknowledge his wife committed suicide over it
    Reading his reply to the Standards Committee he's really come out swinging saying that due process has not been followed.

He alleges that he wasn't spoken to until the Commissioner had already made up her mind (which is unacceptable in any investigation) and that none of his seventeen witnesses have even been spoken to. He also alleges that the Commission says he didn't speak to people he should have done, which he says is untrue as he did and those actions are minuted.

All incredibly strange.
  • MaxPB said:

I've ordered the non-pro. Hopefully I get it soon!
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Selebian said:

3. Let's look at when you leave your home. What's the best transport choice for the climate: buying an electric car or using public transport as much as possible?

Maybe 'using the electric care you already have', but it would take some journeys before you could justify the manufacturing emissions of the EV. Also, if the bus is running anyway then your marginal contribution to its emissions are minimal (your extra weight).

I think I posted here before about the analysis (cited in a PhD thesis I examined) that an efficienct ICE car could be greener than walking, which also didn't stand up to much scrutiny.

Edit: Also, for extra pedantry, what about if 'public transport' is an electric train with only a walk at either end? Quite common in the SE at least - that's my brother's commute, when he goes into the London office.
    Also, the "battery-powered car charged with renewable energy" - how on earth do you ensure that your car is only charged with renewable energy? Obviously you can sometimes do it if you happen have your own solar panels and wind turbine to charge from, but how else?
    My electricity provider claims to supply me with 100% renewable energy. I suppose I could use it to charge a car.
    Does your electricity bill provider give you new green plug sockets in your house that only give you the good electricity?
    You can specify renewab le only with Scottish Power. Butr presumably the other customers get the bad karma.
    Had this debate with my mum recently (who, many moons ago, worked in billing for the Eastern Electricity Board). The 'green only' electricity companies commit to buying only electricity from renewable sources, so signing up guarantees that the amount of electricity you use is also bought from a green source. Two interesting consquences:
    1. Doesn't necessarily increase green generation in the UK - if the needs of people on these tariffs can be met enitrely through existing green generation then - indeed - other peole just get notionally more of the 'dirty' stuff :wink:
    2. If everyone signed up for such a tariff then we'd be royally screwed at present. We'd reach that point at present (perhaps? depends how many on such tariffs) if green customers consumption had to be matched with green generation on e.g. an hourly or daily basis...
    But such price signals add up, and make a difference.
    One of the UK's larger generators (SSE) has already started to move its business completely to renewables.
    Yep, not a bad thing by any means. But it would be strengthened by a degree more matching - I assume it's just done on an annual basis? Smart meters would make quite fine matching possible and would, if a reasonable number of people were signed up, push renewable capacity to cover their demand even in the troughs of renewable generation.
    It's largely a consequence of the existing structure of the energy market (which is pretty daft, as far as I can understand it, but put in place by statute).
    A thinking government would already have started work on a better system to go with a smarter grid.

As it is, the market is at times paying spot market prices based on massively overpriced gas for fixed price renewable generation. Though I suppose that in itself is something of an incentive.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

MaxPB said:

I've ordered the non-pro. Hopefully I get it soon!
    Yeah I was surprised when I got the dispatch notice yesterday, I didn't think it was even out yet!
  • Novara Media's Youtube channel has been deleted. Novara don't know why.
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?
    Physics and chemistrycombined science teachers should be able to knock something up, surely? Maybe with some help from the woodwork, metalwork and electronics Design and Technology* teachers?

*That was the term when I was at school - still correct?
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Novara Media's Youtube channel has been deleted. Novara don't know why.

Oh no....anyway...
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

Novara Media's Youtube channel has been deleted. Novara don't know why.

A conspiracy no doubt.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

I've been a big supporter of Solskjaer, but you can't lead if people won't follow you, and it's pretty clear that the players have lost their faith in him. So it's over.
  • Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?
    Physics and chemistrycombined science teachers should be able to knock something up, surely? Maybe with some help from the woodwork, metalwork and electronics Design and Technology* teachers?

There are schools out there with armouries, where they keep the rifles used by the CCF in the rifle range...
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    COVID cases continue to fall sharply across the US, albeit from a high level.

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20211026&instance_id=43778&nl=the-morning&productCode=NN&regi_id=88229809&segment_id=72649&te=1&uri=nyt://newsletter/7a9563af-a274-5b82-8f76-2ad8d568b82d&user_id=6ab16a21d4246b147c811d1eb9117d78

This map of global vaccination rates helps keep in mind the broader progress (and where there's a lack of it) being made

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html?te=1&nl=the-morning&emc=edit_nn_20211026

This clearly shows that, in the temperate world, Russia, Eastern Europe, the Balkans, the Caucuses and Southern Africa are the areas still needing to do the most. I am impressed by, and pleased at, how much of the world now has UK-like numbers or better.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?
    You can pick one of these up for a few thousand. Cheap to insure as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Saracen

- Lots of kids would go to school just for a ride in "the tank"
    - Spare classroom.
    - Spare safe space for the teachers - an inch of face hardened steel should do the job in all but the most extreme secondaries.
    - Sell it to the Daily Mail readers as "inspiring pride in Great Britain's History"
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    EU Commissioner Thierry Breton says Brexit is an "economic catastrophe" for Britain:

"Look at what's going on with store shelves ... with the restocking of fuel ... with the lack of nurses and doctors ... with the truck driver shortage [and] with everything construction. What's going on these days is a disaster," Breton said.

"Consider that after they said they could regain prosperity, which meant to some extent that every EU national would be kicked out — at least a large part of them — well now they need to come back, because nurses are missing. There's 100,000 truck drivers missing ... It is what it is and we deplore it," he added.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-commissioner-thierry-breton-brexit-an-economic-catastrophe-for-britain/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1635242575
  • kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

- Spare classroom.
    - Spare safe space for the teachers - an inch of face hardened steel should do the job in all but the most extreme secondaries.
    - Sell it to the Daily Mail readers as "inspiring pride in Great Britain's History"
    Can you drive one with a mini-bus license?
  • Novara Media's Youtube channel has been deleted. Novara don't know why.

Oh no....anyway...
    I hope everyone had the opportunity to watch some of their 2019 election night coverage.

I'm not sure which was the best moment, the exit poll and watching their hearts break, the results coming in early on confirming the exit poll, or the defeat of Laura Pillock.
    Unpopular said:

Tory Mp not wearing masks (rather like Labour ones at Brighton incidentally) are sending the right message not the wrong one that the country needs ot get over its obsession with covid 19 especially given the drop in cases coming through .

There is no majority support for facemasks being made compulsory . you might get a leading survey indicating so but its naturally going to be a bit biased if only because it reminds people of covid to start with. Your stat of only 25% thameslink wearers show the public hate them really

I vaguely (so apologies for innacuracy) remember from my GCSE history, when I did WWI there was pressure on the Government to introduce conscription, with the attitude of men being 'Well, I'll go if I have to but I won't volunteer'. Even if people were happy (possibly the wrong word, but also possibly not!) to go, leaving a livelihood and a family would be a big step and people might have felt they needed this nudge. I wonder if mask wearing is similar. I know very few that like to wear them and human nature being human nature means that, without that pressure, people will wear them less often even if they support wearing them in principle. The public might very well hate masks (I know I do), but I see no contradiction between that hatred and support for continuing to wear them, nor do I see a contradiction between the reported levels of mask usage and public support for continuing to wear them.
    I think that's a fair interpretation. It's a bit like a prisoner's dilemma situation where the best chance of masks working is if everyone wears them, but there's really little point in being one of a minority wearing them.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

Good morning

I have no doubt that it should be implemented.

Furthermore, and as I mentioned last night, where does the duty of care come into this and the legal liability where an unvaccinated health care person is identified as having passed covid to a patient who subsequently dies

I know there are plenty of lawyers on this forum and I would be interested in their view on this point

How is it possible to identify who passed the virus to the patient?

This culture of seeking out and blaming is very regrettable and has been a feature of this pandemic - at least in the UK - from the start.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

We had similar outside our offices. Had to barge by the anti vaxx abuse but really not on
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

HYUFD said:

How fair are the following types of taxation?

BBC licence fee: 21% fair / 57% unfair
    Council tax: 27% / 45%
    Inheritance tax: 23% / 45%
    Fuel duty: 32% / 38%
    Stamp duty: 24% / 32%
    Income tax: 40% / 29%
    National Insurance: 40% / 27%
    Air passenger duty 40% / 21%
    Tobacco: 71% / 12%
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1452932157501022209?s=20

The Times article gives interesting perspective over time:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/4c547c38-35af-11ec-8ef4-8e6db1a4b82a?shareToken=51c743d0d209fd673db2cc19b5bc5a32

Summary - people are much more willing to pay climate-friendly taxes than they used to be (especially air passenger duty, for which views have totally reversed), and are less hostile to IHT and stamp duty than in the past, perhaps reflecting the increasing proportion of people who can't get onto the property ladder, but they are more hostile to National Insurance and the licence fee.
    Notable however that National Insurance, air passenger duty and especially tobacco taxes still remain the least unpopular taxes.

So if the government is going to raise any more taxes it will focus on those areas and smokers in particular should expect to be hammered

Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

The BBC have published an article based on a poll with sample of 80!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57853385

Fortunately it is about Trans rights, so nobody will get wound up over it.

@OwenJones84
    ·
    44m
    It's beyond belief that the BBC published such unbelievably appalling journalism, based on no reliable data and the testimonies of anti-trans activists.

You'd expect to find this sort of conspiratorial hate on the darkest recesses of the internet, not on the BBC.
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1452922838235688961
    So lesbians who say they are being coerced into sex are dismissed as anti trans activists.

The cotton ceiling is nothing new and what is in the article is nothing new. I’m surprised the BBC bravely posted it given the expected replies.
    Two separate issues here:-

1. Should women - whether straight or lesbian - be coerced into sex and/or accused of being phobic because they do not fancy someone? No. Of course not. You do not need a poll to say this. It is a straightforward matter of principle. Does this happen? There is some evidence - largely anecdotal - that it does.
    2. Is a poll based on 80 people very reliable? Not really. There has been some well-deserved criticism of a claim that 1 in 4 trans children are suicidal. This was based on a poll of 27 people and did not even prove what some claimed. If it is fair to criticise trans activists for using dodgy statistics based on dodgy polls then one should not in turn rely on polls based on a tiny sample.

Sauce for the goose etc ....
    Re.2, a 'social media' poll is utterly unreliable, one to which only 80 people responded..
    The issue here isn’t the poll as such, but this is the experience of some lesbians in their lives. They feel coerced into having sex with male bodied trans women. It is not new. The cotton ceiling has been around along time.

EU Commissioner Thierry Breton says Brexit is an "economic catastrophe" for Britain:

"Look at what's going on with store shelves ... with the restocking of fuel ... with the lack of nurses and doctors ... with the truck driver shortage [and] with everything construction. What's going on these days is a disaster," Breton said.

"Consider that after they said they could regain prosperity, which meant to some extent that every EU national would be kicked out — at least a large part of them — well now they need to come back, because nurses are missing. There's 100,000 truck drivers missing ... It is what it is and we deplore it," he added.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-commissioner-thierry-breton-brexit-an-economic-catastrophe-for-britain/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1635242575

Clearly for domestic european consumption.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,095
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

According to the account I heard this morning on the (?)radio, the Committee did not even interview him.

Due process?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,588

I doubt it. Paterson is part of the HoC furniture, he's not going anywhere.

This would have been a massive scandal, ten, twenty or thirty years ago. Times have changed. I mentioned earlier Hugh Dalton resigning for blowing the contents of the 1947 Budget before revealing it to Parliament. It seems these days MPs are the last to know.
    Aren't you missing the point of the article, though? Under the rules, if the Commons approves the recommended sanction (which they virtually always do), then Tory-critical voters (>35% at the 2019 election) can force a by-election if 10% of the electorate sign a petition for it. Whether fellow-MPs feel he's part of the furniture doesn't affect it.
    I still doubt Paterson reaches the 10% recall petition threshold. I find him to be an odious politician, but he is not my MP so I don't have a say.

Can't the Tory party install him as the recall by election candidate anyway?
    He did lose his wife to suicide over the issue sadly
    This is going to sound harsh but that shouldn't mitigate his behaviour in any way.

A former colleague of mine (from many years ago) was convicted of a serious sexual abuse of a young relative. On his being charged his wife walked onto the railway track in Yate Infront of an Intercity 125 from Paddington to Swansea. His loss was not taken in mitigation (and rightly so).

A wholly different level of offending granted, but should he get a free pass. I would say no, you are entitled, and with some justification, to disagree.

kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

- Spare classroom.
    I *believe* that you can drive one on C1/D1 - it's basically largish white van sized.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

@OwenJones84
    ·
    44m
    It's beyond belief that the BBC published such unbelievably appalling journalism, based on no reliable data and the testimonies of anti-trans activists.

You'd expect to find this sort of conspiratorial hate on the darkest recesses of the internet, not on the BBC.
    So lesbians who say they are being coerced into sex are dismissed as anti trans activists.

The cotton ceiling is nothing new and what is in the article is nothing new. I’m surprised the BBC bravely posted it given the expected replies.

1. Should women - whether straight or lesbian - be coerced into sex and/or accused of being phobic because they do not fancy someone? No. Of course not. You do not need a poll to say this. It is a straightforward matter of principle. Does this happen? There is some evidence - largely anecdotal - that it does.
    2. Is a poll based on 80 people very reliable? Not really. There has been some well-deserved criticism of a claim that 1 in 4 trans children are suicidal. This was based on a poll of 27 people and did not even prove what some claimed. If it is fair to criticise trans activists for using dodgy statistics based on dodgy polls then one should not in turn rely on polls based on a tiny sample.

Re.2, a 'social media' poll is utterly unreliable, one to which only 80 people responded..
    The issue here isn’t the poll as such, but this is the experience of some lesbians in their lives. They feel coerced into having sex with male bodied trans women. It is not new. The cotton ceiling has been around along time.
    What is making them feel coerced? Actual threats of violence which would surely be an offence, or something else?
  • Ole's at the wheel, OLE'S AT THE WHEEL NANANANANANA.

I've been a big supporter of Solskjaer, but you can't lead if people won't follow you, and it's pretty clear that the players have lost their faith in him. So it's over.
    They dont want the new manager to start with Spurs, Atalanta and Man City. Pretty sure there will be a new manager for the Watford game.

Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

There are schools out there with armouries, where they keep the rifles used by the CCF in the rifle range...
    {remembers the Boyes .55 in the armoury}

Yes.......
    @bishopSarahM
    Ghana's proposed anti- LGBT legislation is unacceptable and must be resisted. It would promote fear and intolerance, putting the freedom of so many people under threat. We are all love equally by God. My prayers are with the LGBT community in Ghana at this time.
    https://twitter.com/bishopSarahM/status/1452926281985761280?s=20
  • I doubt it. Paterson is part of the HoC furniture, he's not going anywhere.

This would have been a massive scandal, ten, twenty or thirty years ago. Times have changed. I mentioned earlier Hugh Dalton resigning for blowing the contents of the 1947 Budget before revealing it to Parliament. It seems these days MPs are the last to know.
    Aren't you missing the point of the article, though? Under the rules, if the Commons approves the recommended sanction (which they virtually always do), then Tory-critical voters (>35% at the 2019 election) can force a by-election if 10% of the electorate sign a petition for it. Whether fellow-MPs feel he's part of the furniture doesn't affect it.
    I still doubt Paterson reaches the 10% recall petition threshold. I find him to be an odious politician, but he is not my MP so I don't have a say.

This is going to sound harsh but that shouldn't mitigate his behaviour in any way.

A former colleague of mine (from many years ago) was convicted of a serious sexual abuse of a young relative. On his being charged his wife walked onto the railway track in Yate Infront of an Intercity 125 from Paddington to Swansea. His loss was not taken in mitigation (and rightly so).

A wholly different level of offending granted, but should he get a free pass. I would say no, you are entitled, and with some justification, to disagree.
    No - I do agree with you
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,753
    edited October 2021
    Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

@OwenJones84
    ·
    44m

That's as may be but I'd be embarrassed to hold up anonymous anecdotes and rubbish polls to make any case I supported.
  • Stocky said:

Good morning

Furthermore, and as I mentioned last night, where does the duty of care come into this and the legal liability where an unvaccinated health care person is identified as having passed covid to a patient who subsequently dies

I know there are plenty of lawyers on this forum and I would be interested in their view on this point

This culture of seeking out and blaming is very regrettable and has been a feature of this pandemic - at least in the UK - from the start.
    The wider point is the NHS duty of care to its patients

I would suggest failure to be properly vaccinated in a health care setting may not be consistent with the duty of care
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136

kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

- Spare classroom.
    I knew someone who had one many years ago and he said it was insured as a minibus. (This was the insurance company's decision not his, they figured that was the correct box to tick when they heard the words "personnel carrier".)

Stocky said:

Good morning

I would suggest failure to be properly vaccinated in a health care setting may not be consistent with the duty of care
    Isn't that the justification for the insistence on various vaccinations in healthcare, previously? That being vaccinated is required for duty of care?
  • Stocky said:

Good morning

Isn't that the justification for the insistence on various vaccinations in healthcare, previously? That being vaccinated is required for duty of care?
    I believe it is but then I am not a lawyer
  • kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

- Spare classroom.
    I knew someone who had one many years ago and he said it was insured as a minibus. (This was the insurance company's decision not his, they figured that was the correct box to tick when they heard the words "personnel carrier".)
    Now all I need to do is show that it can be adapted to take a wheelchair and I might be on to something.
    edited October 2021
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

According to the account I heard this morning on the (?)radio, the Committee did not even interview him.

Due process?
    He lobbied for a few companies on issues including potential contamination of milk and ham.

It was not a major issue, he will do his 30 day suspension and then come back. I can't see any by election being called over this. In fact in his mostly rural constituency I expect the majority of his constituents, including plenty of farmers, will agree with some of the concerns he raised
    edited October 2021

No - I do agree with you
    I don't know where I stand on this, but it is probably not with the absolute no mitigation in any circumstances. Should a person suffering a PTSD attack be held fully responsible for his or her actions during that attack with absolutely no mitigation? I would say no, there must be at least some mitigation and even some consideration if a person can be held responsible in that situation.

But that line between be capable of being held responsible or not is not a sharp, black and white one in my mind. It is well known that under extreme stress and fatigue we are much less able to make good decisions. And that is a sliding scale.

If stress, fatigue, or other factors that are known to diminish our capacity to rationalize and make good decisions are present, I think those should somehow be factored in to both responsibility and mitigation considerations accordingly. But I can't see how that can be turned into a simple formula.
    Joanna Lumley says wartime-style rationing could help solve climate crisis
    https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1452773886295265281?s=20
    Selebian said:

The first lady quoted has apparently been branded a "genital fetishist". Aren't we all* genital fetishists? Does it even count as a fetish if it's very widespread?

*well, most of us, I guess?
    I'm horrified that men have found a new way to be violent towards women. It's not the sort of thing I would have predicted ten years ago.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

I think this needs to be fact-checked. A large fraction of the EU nationals living in the UK have left?
  • RobD said:

I think this needs to be fact-checked. A large fraction of the EU nationals living in the UK have left?
    If they had you'd expect to see a massive over supply of housing and a housing crash.

Hmm maybe that would be a good idea afterall. But no, not happened.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336

Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

{remembers the Boyes .55 in the armoury}

Yes.......
    The headteacher could ask the first XV to "gently" "persuade" them off the premises.
    edited October 2021
    RobD said:

And no EU country has shortages of energy or truck drivers?
  • RobD said:

To be honest just ignore them
  • Ole's at the wheel, OLE'S AT THE WHEEL NANANANANANA.

They dont want the new manager to start with Spurs, Atalanta and Man City. Pretty sure there will be a new manager for the Watford game.
    Watford, Villareal, Chelsea then Arsenal.

Not as bad as Liverpool and City, but not really a spate of easy fixture is it?

New manager for Crystal Palace would be my guess.
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

Due process?
    No, that is wrong.
    https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/7644/documents/79907/default/
    ...We are painfully conscious that Mr Paterson lost his wife in tragic circumstances in June 2020; and we wish to express our deepest sympathy to him for his loss. This last year must have been very distressing for him and we have taken these circumstances fully into account in considering Mr Paterson’s conduct during the period of the investigation. We have striven to ensure that Mr Paterson has had every opportunity to represent himself as fully as possible before the Committee, in person and in writing. We have extended deadlines at his request and we have accepted his request to be accompanied by his legal advisers and to make a formal opening statement to us.2 The allegations against him, which are the subject of the Commissioner’s memorandum, relate to his conduct between October 2016 and February 2020, before Mrs Paterson’s death. It is these allegations on which we are required to adjudicate, impartially, without fear or favour, and with a sole eye to the rules of the House and the requirements of natural justice....
  • Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

Due process?
    No, that is wrong.
    https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/7644/documents/79907/default/
    ...We are painfully conscious that Mr Paterson lost his wife in tragic circumstances in June 2020; and we wish to express our deepest sympathy to him for his loss. This last year must have been very distressing for him and we have taken these circumstances fully into account in considering Mr Paterson’s conduct during the period of the investigation. We have striven to ensure that Mr Paterson has had every opportunity to represent himself as fully as possible before the Committee, in person and in writing. We have extended deadlines at his request and we have accepted his request to be accompanied by his legal advisers and to make a formal opening statement to us.2 The allegations against him, which are the subject of the Commissioner’s memorandum, relate to his conduct between October 2016 and February 2020, before Mrs Paterson’s death. It is these allegations on which we are required to adjudicate, impartially, without fear or favour, and with a sole eye to the rules of the House and the requirements of natural justice....
    Fair comment

RobD said:

Or read and shrug. Absolutely no point in reacting.

RobD said:

I thought it was only Brexiteers that had a myopic obsession with what was going on on the other side? ;)
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,153

kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

- Spare classroom.
    Amazing - we end up talking about Saracens two days in a row, and each time coming up quite naturally in a PB discussion.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

“WE DECLARE THE M25 A SITE OF NONVIOLENT CIVIL RESISTANCE”

"... on the morning of Wednesday 27th October the M25 will become a place of nonviolent civil resistance to stop our government committing crimes against humanity."

edited October 2021

kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

- Spare classroom.
    Now all I need to do is show that it can be adapted to take a wheelchair and I might be on to something.

Those two door open. On the inside you have fold up seats on each side, with space to move a wheelchair forward between them.

The drivers seat in on the same level as the rest of the floor - unbolt that in 5 min.

There is the commanders seat behind that - a swivel - another 5 min.

So if you have a ramp at the back (or a lift) you could roll forward to the drivers position... Can you use an (adapter) wheelchair as a drivers seat? If so, you would just lock in position.

The gearbox is semi-auto already, so no manual clutch....

EDIT: The reason I know a bit about them is that some friends an I had a business plan involving one. The sticking point was Hire and Reward insurance for the driver - regular insurance was trivial. We had to look at disabled access, due to regulations on hire and reward vehicles in some places.
  • Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

"... on the morning of Wednesday 27th October the M25 will become a place of nonviolent civil resistance to stop our government committing crimes against humanity."

They are doing their cause enormous harm

Arrest them all under the new law and deal with it accordingly
    TimT said:

No - I do agree with you
    I don't know where I stand on this, but it is probably not with the absolute no mitigation in any circumstances. Should a person suffering a PTSD attack be held fully responsible for his or her actions during that attack with absolutely no mitigation? I would say no, there must be at least some mitigation and even some consideration if a person can be held responsible in that situation.

But that line between be capable of being held responsible or not is not a sharp, black and white one in my mind. It is well known that under extreme stress and fatigue we are much less able to make good decisions. And that is a sliding scale.

If stress, fatigue, or other factors that are known to diminish our capacity to rationalize and make good decisions are present, I think those should somehow be factored in to both responsibility and mitigation considerations accordingly. But I can't see how that can be turned into a simple formula.
    Aah. Too late to edit. I see that the events being adjudicated pre-date the trauma and stress-inducing events. In that case, no, I would not see there being mitigating circumstances in the ruling of those behaviours and decisions, but I would see compassion in how to deal with a currently broken human as being something to aspire to.
    edited October 2021

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

'Nonviolent civil resistance', I assume they are expecting no road rage from commuters on the M25 in rush hour delayed on getting to work, getting their goods delivered, getting home to families, getting their kids to school etc. In which case may be a bit over optimistic
    HYUFD said:

Joanna Lumley says wartime-style rationing could help solve climate crisis
    https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1452773886295265281?s=20

And perhaps the obesity one too!!
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

I thought it was only Brexiteers that had a myopic obsession with what was going on on the other side? ;)
    Perpetually trawling German & French media for references to the UK certainly suggests so.
  • kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

- Spare classroom.
    'You can sit in the actual seat that Soldier F sat in!'
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

To be fair as far as protests go it’s very effective. Everyone is talking about it.

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

Crimes against humanity? lol

kjh said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Am I going all HYUFD?

- Spare classroom.
    'You can sit in the actual seat that Soldier F sat in!'
    I like the cut of your jib, sir.
  • Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

To be fair as far as protests go it’s very effective. Everyone is talking about it.
    And losing their case big time
  • Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

They need to be treated as terrorists and incarcerated without parole.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,095
    Interesting to note that tax changes are proposed to encourage shipping companies to be based in the UK.

Has anyone seen details?

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Selebian said:

The point is that a BEV uses more renewable energy as the grid decarbonises. An ICE car, in the general case excepting Porsche's e-fuel, will never use renewable energy.
    It's compared to buses and trains, which will presumably be running whether I've bought myself an EV or not.
    Yes but if you have a petrol car, but use public transport 25% of the time, then that's going to be more emissions than having an electric car.

Read the question properly, the question was not exclusively using public transport.
    It's a fricking stupid question.

"using public transport as much as possible" could mean anything from never using it to always using it.
    Indeed but for the overwhelming majority of people in the country "as much as possible" is still going to be a minority of your journeys.

The London-based obsessives who think that public transport is the bees knees are a tiny majority in this country.
    There are good reasons to use public transport, particularly in densely populated urban areas, but it's completely irrelevant to the issue of climate change.

Ultimately all public and private transport will need to be electrified, and all electricity decarbonised, at which point you are choosing between two zero carbon options for other reasons.
  • RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

Crimes against humanity? lol
    It's a step down from their usual offensive guff - that not doing what they say is GENOCIDE

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

Not really. I don’t think people have decided we shouldn’t in fact insulate Britain because of these whoppers.
    Can't they just get Nick Clegg to record another 'Sorry' video ?
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/25/facebook-pr-war-517128
  • This is the first thing that's put me on Insulate Britain's side, but only because I can't be on the same side as Mike Graham here

@talkRADIO
    Mike's interview with Insulate Britain spokesman Cameron lasts less than a minute.

@Iromg
    |
    @InsulateLove

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1452892180301889538

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

Not really. I don’t think people have decided we shouldn’t in fact insulate Britain because of these whoppers.
    Their case is not just for insulation, it is for much more rapid insulation.
    RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Has anyone decided we should insulate more slowly just to spite these people?

Doubt it.

It’s an effective protest at the end of the day, even if its unsavoury.

We’re all talking about it.
    edited October 2021
    HYUFD said:

@bishopSarahM
    Ghana's proposed anti- LGBT legislation is unacceptable and must be resisted. It would promote fear and intolerance, putting the freedom of so many people under threat. We are all love equally by God. My prayers are with the LGBT community in Ghana at this time.
    https://twitter.com/bishopSarahM/status/1452926281985761280?s=20

'I am gravely concerned by the draft anti-LGBTQ+ Bill due to be debated by the Ghanaian parliament. I will be speaking with the Archbishop of Ghana in the coming days to discuss the Anglican Church of Ghana’s response to the Bill.'

My full statement: https://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/news/news-and-statements/archbishop-canterburys-statement-ghanas-anti-lgbtq-bill
    https://twitter.com/JustinWelby/status/1452959105837113354?s=20
  • RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

They're not even just demanding billions for insulation, they want £500bn for insulation in the next few years.

That's potentially more than the state is going to spend on all Net Zero measures combined. 🤦‍♂️
  • Wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock made himself unavailable for South Africa's T20 World Cup match against West Indies after refusing to take the knee.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) issued a directive before the match that all players should make the gesture.

Captain Temba Bavuma said at the toss in Dubai that De Kock, 28, withdrew "for personal reasons".

CSA said later on Tuesday that they "noted the personal decision" of De Kock to not take the knee.

In a statement released during the game, CSA said it would "await a further report from team management before deciding on next steps".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59051327

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Selebian said:

The point is that a BEV uses more renewable energy as the grid decarbonises. An ICE car, in the general case excepting Porsche's e-fuel, will never use renewable energy.
    It's compared to buses and trains, which will presumably be running whether I've bought myself an EV or not.
    Yes but if you have a petrol car, but use public transport 25% of the time, then that's going to be more emissions than having an electric car.

Read the question properly, the question was not exclusively using public transport.

"using public transport as much as possible" could mean anything from never using it to always using it.
    Indeed but for the overwhelming majority of people in the country "as much as possible" is still going to be a minority of your journeys.

The London-based obsessives who think that public transport is the bees knees are a tiny majority in this country.
    There are good reasons to use public transport, particularly in densely populated urban areas, but it's completely irrelevant to the issue of climate change.

Ultimately all public and private transport will need to be electrified, and all electricity decarbonised, at which point you are choosing between two zero carbon options for other reasons.
    Ironically, a certain bus designed and delivered years ago was designed, ultimately, for conversion from hybrid to full electric... UK made as well....

Dura_Ace said:

FPT

Selebian said:

Ironically, a certain bus designed and delivered years ago was designed, ultimately, for conversion from hybrid to full electric... UK made as well....

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

The question you should be asking is if anyone has decided to insulate more quickly.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,588
    TimT said:

No - I do agree with you

Paterson, not withstanding his bereavement, appears to have a superiority complex and arrogance that will probably see minimal sanctions against him. He is one of those MPs that rules don't really apply to the letter, and a slapped wrist (or short suspension) is the worst he can expect. Paterson is also very much an establishment figure in Johnson's brand of Conservative Party. He has lots of influential allies in the wing of the party of which he is associated.

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

They're not even just demanding billions for insulation, they want £500bn for insulation in the next few years.

That's potentially more than the state is going to spend on all Net Zero measures combined. 🤦‍♂️
    I thought your favoured negotiation strategy is to “ask for something ridiculous and then compromise where you want”.

Ask for £500b and then suddenly £10b sounds reasonable and moderate!
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

The question you should be asking is if anyone has decided to insulate more quickly.
    The answer to that is a resounding yes. We’re all talking about it and we’re all thinking about it.

Like it or not its an effective protest.
This discussion has been closed.