Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov finds overwhelming support for NHS staff to be vaccinated – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    You can't protest on the M25 if you've just been launched by a trebuchet into the North Sea.

Tough on twits, tough on the causes of twits.

Vote Morris Dancer.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

TimT said:

I doubt it. Paterson is part of the HoC furniture, he's not going anywhere.

This would have been a massive scandal, ten, twenty or thirty years ago. Times have changed. I mentioned earlier Hugh Dalton resigning for blowing the contents of the 1947 Budget before revealing it to Parliament. It seems these days MPs are the last to know.
    Aren't you missing the point of the article, though? Under the rules, if the Commons approves the recommended sanction (which they virtually always do), then Tory-critical voters (>35% at the 2019 election) can force a by-election if 10% of the electorate sign a petition for it. Whether fellow-MPs feel he's part of the furniture doesn't affect it.
    I still doubt Paterson reaches the 10% recall petition threshold. I find him to be an odious politician, but he is not my MP so I don't have a say.

Can't the Tory party install him as the recall by election candidate anyway?
    He did lose his wife to suicide over the issue sadly
    This is going to sound harsh but that shouldn't mitigate his behaviour in any way.

A former colleague of mine (from many years ago) was convicted of a serious sexual abuse of a young relative. On his being charged his wife walked onto the railway track in Yate Infront of an Intercity 125 from Paddington to Swansea. His loss was not taken in mitigation (and rightly so).

A wholly different level of offending granted, but should he get a free pass. I would say no, you are entitled, and with some justification, to disagree.
    No - I do agree with you
    I don't know where I stand on this, but it is probably not with the absolute no mitigation in any circumstances. Should a person suffering a PTSD attack be held fully responsible for his or her actions during that attack with absolutely no mitigation? I would say no, there must be at least some mitigation and even some consideration if a person can be held responsible in that situation.

But that line between be capable of being held responsible or not is not a sharp, black and white one in my mind. It is well known that under extreme stress and fatigue we are much less able to make good decisions. And that is a sliding scale.

If stress, fatigue, or other factors that are known to diminish our capacity to rationalize and make good decisions are present, I think those should somehow be factored in to both responsibility and mitigation considerations accordingly. But I can't see how that can be turned into a simple formula.
    Paterson, not withstanding his bereavement, appears to have a superiority complex and arrogance that will probably see minimal sanctions against him. He is one of those MPs that rules don't really apply to the letter, and a slapped wrist (or short suspension) is the worst he can expect. Paterson is also very much an establishment figure in Johnson's brand of Conservative Party. He has lots of influential allies in the wing of the party of which he is associated.
    So if his opponents force a by-election we reckon he'd run again? Seems like a chance for the opposition to run a Neil Hamilton vs Martin Bell type of operation.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited October 2021

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

“WE DECLARE THE M25 A SITE OF NONVIOLENT CIVIL RESISTANCE”

"... on the morning of Wednesday 27th October the M25 will become a place of nonviolent civil resistance to stop our government committing crimes against humanity."

They are doing their cause enormous harm

Arrest them all under the new law and deal with it accordingly
    To be fair as far as protests go it’s very effective. Everyone is talking about it.
    And losing their case big time
    Not really. I don’t think people have decided we shouldn’t in fact insulate Britain because of these whoppers.
    Their case is not just for insulation, it is for much more rapid insulation.
    And?

Has anyone decided we should insulate more slowly just to spite these people?

Doubt it.

It’s an effective protest at the end of the day, even if its unsavoury.

We’re all talking about it.
    That's a rather narrow definition of effective however.

So long as there is no counter reaction, as seems unlikely, then true, it's not a complete waste. But if it doesn't lead to positive change that they want getting people talking about it doesn't mean squat either, particularly if it takes attention from, or undermines, potentially more effective protests from getting peoples' attention.

A similar issue to when claiming nothing is being done even when it is, which can dispirit rather than inspire further action.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

RobD said:

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

"... on the morning of Wednesday 27th October the M25 will become a place of nonviolent civil resistance to stop our government committing crimes against humanity."

To be fair as far as protests go it’s very effective. Everyone is talking about it.
    Not really. I don’t think people have decided we shouldn’t in fact insulate Britain because of these whoppers.
    And?

Doubt it.

The question you should be asking is if anyone has decided to insulate more quickly.
    The answer to that is a resounding yes. We’re all talking about it and we’re all thinking about it.

Like it or not its an effective protest.
    We may be talking about it, but is anyone doing anything about it?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

The question you should be asking is if anyone has decided to insulate more quickly.
    The answer to that is a resounding yes. We’re all talking about it and we’re all thinking about it.

Its only effective if you think all publicity is good publicity.

If its undermining the cause of environmentalism as people think "these idiots are on another planet" it can undermine the cause.
  • Options
    TimT said:

This would have been a massive scandal, ten, twenty or thirty years ago. Times have changed. I mentioned earlier Hugh Dalton resigning for blowing the contents of the 1947 Budget before revealing it to Parliament. It seems these days MPs are the last to know.
    Aren't you missing the point of the article, though? Under the rules, if the Commons approves the recommended sanction (which they virtually always do), then Tory-critical voters (>35% at the 2019 election) can force a by-election if 10% of the electorate sign a petition for it. Whether fellow-MPs feel he's part of the furniture doesn't affect it.
    I still doubt Paterson reaches the 10% recall petition threshold. I find him to be an odious politician, but he is not my MP so I don't have a say.

This is going to sound harsh but that shouldn't mitigate his behaviour in any way.

A former colleague of mine (from many years ago) was convicted of a serious sexual abuse of a young relative. On his being charged his wife walked onto the railway track in Yate Infront of an Intercity 125 from Paddington to Swansea. His loss was not taken in mitigation (and rightly so).

A wholly different level of offending granted, but should he get a free pass. I would say no, you are entitled, and with some justification, to disagree.
    No - I do agree with you
    I don't know where I stand on this, but it is probably not with the absolute no mitigation in any circumstances. Should a person suffering a PTSD attack be held fully responsible for his or her actions during that attack with absolutely no mitigation? I would say no, there must be at least some mitigation and even some consideration if a person can be held responsible in that situation.

But that line between be capable of being held responsible or not is not a sharp, black and white one in my mind. It is well known that under extreme stress and fatigue we are much less able to make good decisions. And that is a sliding scale.

If stress, fatigue, or other factors that are known to diminish our capacity to rationalize and make good decisions are present, I think those should somehow be factored in to both responsibility and mitigation considerations accordingly. But I can't see how that can be turned into a simple formula.
    The Boris led Tory MPs will come up with a simple formula:

Rule Breaking * Labour MP = Action
    Rule Breaking * Tory MP = No Action

Think this formula covers most scenarios. Corbyn Labour would behave very similarly, previous Tory leaders and the current Labour leader would do it differently.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712

FPT

Selebian said:

From the BBC Climate Change Quiz

3. Let's look at when you leave your home. What's the best transport choice for the climate: buying an electric car or using public transport as much as possible?

Hmm, I'd like to see a full life cycle analysis on that!

Maybe 'using the electric care you already have', but it would take some journeys before you could justify the manufacturing emissions of the EV. Also, if the bus is running anyway then your marginal contribution to its emissions are minimal (your extra weight).

I think I posted here before about the analysis (cited in a PhD thesis I examined) that an efficienct ICE car could be greener than walking, which also didn't stand up to much scrutiny.

Edit: Also, for extra pedantry, what about if 'public transport' is an electric train with only a walk at either end? Quite common in the SE at least - that's my brother's commute, when he goes into the London office.
    Also, the "battery-powered car charged with renewable energy" - how on earth do you ensure that your car is only charged with renewable energy? Obviously you can sometimes do it if you happen have your own solar panels and wind turbine to charge from, but how else?
    My electricity provider claims to supply me with 100% renewable energy. I suppose I could use it to charge a car.
    Does your electricity bill provider give you new green plug sockets in your house that only give you the good electricity?
    No, they just supply 100% green electricity through the old sockets.

"all of our tariffs are 100% renewable electricity – which means we will match every unit of electricity you use with a renewable certificate for the same amount.
    This matching is done through Ofgem’s REGO (Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin) scheme – the system used by suppliers across the U.K. to verify their claims of the amount of renewable energy supplied."
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

So long as there is no counter reaction, as seems unlikely, then true, it's not a complete waste. But if it doesn't lead to positive change that they want getting people talking about it doesn't mean squat either, particularly if it takes attention from, or undermines, potentially more effective protests.
    It will move the zeitgeist further towards where they want. There will be no counter reaction.

The government will arrest them all, we will all go back to normal, but people will remember the message.

Its an effective protest.

The suffragettes caused loads of civil disorder and annoyance.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781

You can't protest on the M25 if you've just been launched by a trebuchet into the North Sea.

Vote Morris Dancer.

But what if you haven't just been launched by a trebuchet into the North Sea?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

TimT said:

No - I do agree with you

Paterson, not withstanding his bereavement, appears to have a superiority complex and arrogance that will probably see minimal sanctions against him. He is one of those MPs that rules don't really apply to the letter, and a slapped wrist (or short suspension) is the worst he can expect. Paterson is also very much an establishment figure in Johnson's brand of Conservative Party. He has lots of influential allies in the wing of the party of which he is associated.
    So if his opponents force a by-election we reckon he'd run again? Seems like a chance for the opposition to run a Neil Hamilton vs Martin Bell type of operation.
    Hamilton got 55% of the vote in Tatton in 1992, Paterson got 62% of the vote in North Shropshire in 2019.

He would likely win again therefore in any by election if he ran again and it would need all other parties to stand down in favour of an Independent to even have a chance to unseat him
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Vote Morris Dancer.

A Trébuchet? Sounds kind of French, what's wrong with a good old English catapult (greek and latin words don't count)?
  • Options
    I noticed yesterday when we were discussing bottled water, that Volvic and Evian claim to be carbon neutral.

I don't know the equivalent figures for Evian, though I'd imagine much higher on both counts, but found out that Volvic bottle just over a billion litres of water every year (pleasingly to me, that's a Wembley Stadium filled to the brim each year), and over 50% of it is sold outside France.

What is it that they actually do to "neutralise" the carbon required to move 500,000 tons of water abroad every year, and that required to make a billion plastic bottles?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,151

RobD said:

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

Is superglue vapour a greenhouse gas?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kle4 said:

Vote Morris Dancer.

A Trébuchet? Sounds kind of French, what's wrong with a good old English catapult (greek and latin words don't count)?
    We can invent our own words.
    I propose "manflinger"
  • Options

FPT

Selebian said:

3. Let's look at when you leave your home. What's the best transport choice for the climate: buying an electric car or using public transport as much as possible?

Maybe 'using the electric care you already have', but it would take some journeys before you could justify the manufacturing emissions of the EV. Also, if the bus is running anyway then your marginal contribution to its emissions are minimal (your extra weight).

I think I posted here before about the analysis (cited in a PhD thesis I examined) that an efficienct ICE car could be greener than walking, which also didn't stand up to much scrutiny.

Edit: Also, for extra pedantry, what about if 'public transport' is an electric train with only a walk at either end? Quite common in the SE at least - that's my brother's commute, when he goes into the London office.
    Also, the "battery-powered car charged with renewable energy" - how on earth do you ensure that your car is only charged with renewable energy? Obviously you can sometimes do it if you happen have your own solar panels and wind turbine to charge from, but how else?
    My electricity provider claims to supply me with 100% renewable energy. I suppose I could use it to charge a car.
    Does your electricity bill provider give you new green plug sockets in your house that only give you the good electricity?

"all of our tariffs are 100% renewable electricity – which means we will match every unit of electricity you use with a renewable certificate for the same amount.
    This matching is done through Ofgem’s REGO (Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin) scheme – the system used by suppliers across the U.K. to verify their claims of the amount of renewable energy supplied."
    I presume your power goes off on still, dull days?
  • Options
    Mr. Unpopular, this is why our cost-effective trebuchet building programme is so urgently needed.

Mr. kle4, we believe in learning lessons from all around the world, whether that's using Roman scorpions, French trebuchets, or the Greek fire of the Eastern Romans.

Mr. Gate, the political class right now is drunk on green juice the same way it used to be unified in loving the EU. It won't last. Not when the bills start rolling in for people on average and low salaries and who don't have seven figure bank accounts or the taxpayer funding their lifestyle. Overegging the cake by having a pissing contest to see who can be 'greenest' will only exacerbate the backlash.

It took a while for anti-EU sentiment to get going. That'll be true for this as well, but the itemised financial punishments meted out to consumers will make it a lot more real a lot more rapidly than more conceptual discussions of sovereignty.
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

So long as there is no counter reaction, as seems unlikely, then true, it's not a complete waste. But if it doesn't lead to positive change that they want getting people talking about it doesn't mean squat either, particularly if it takes attention from, or undermines, potentially more effective protests.
    It will move the zeitgeist further towards where they want. There will be no counter reaction.

The government will arrest them all, we will all go back to normal, but people will remember the message.

I think it is reasonably effective, but I think stating 'it will move the zeitgeist further towards where they want' is an unproven statement and assumption. It's quite possible things go back to normal and people don't remember the message, as some other protest/movement gets their attention instead.

You're assuming it is moving the zeitgeist, but most protests are flash in a pan, in and out, or overwhelmed and absorbed by some much larger and more impactful message. People might just remember the loony protest and not the message.

Perhaps not, but you cannot assume the opposite either.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365

FPT

Selebian said:

Yes, this was one of the interesting side effects of the market in electricity providers - green tariffs like this are possible.
  • Options
    Mr. Farooq, I feel it important to remind PBers that, for serious offenders, the MD StarGun, my personal man cannon, remains an option.

Nobody can hear you bleat about insulation when you're hurtling through the vacuum of space into the heart of the sun.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Vote Morris Dancer.

Making Britain Great Again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwolf

A Trebuchet is a superior siege engine. Two big advantages - scales easily, and hits the same spot repeatedly.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

Who could disagree that insulation is good idea?

• Options

Vote Morris Dancer.

Surely we should investigate using these people *as* house insulation?

Vote Malmesbury - we recycle *everything*
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Tory Mp not wearing masks (rather like Labour ones at Brighton incidentally) are sending the right message not the wrong one that the country needs ot get over its obsession with covid 19 especially given the drop in cases coming through .

There is no majority support for facemasks being made compulsory . you might get a leading survey indicating so but its naturally going to be a bit biased if only because it reminds people of covid to start with. Your stat of only 25% thameslink wearers show the public hate them really

I vaguely (so apologies for innacuracy) remember from my GCSE history, when I did WWI there was pressure on the Government to introduce conscription, with the attitude of men being 'Well, I'll go if I have to but I won't volunteer'. Even if people were happy (possibly the wrong word, but also possibly not!) to go, leaving a livelihood and a family would be a big step and people might have felt they needed this nudge. I wonder if mask wearing is similar. I know very few that like to wear them and human nature being human nature means that, without that pressure, people will wear them less often even if they support wearing them in principle. The public might very well hate masks (I know I do), but I see no contradiction between that hatred and support for continuing to wear them, nor do I see a contradiction between the reported levels of mask usage and public support for continuing to wear them.
    In WW1 the problem was there were too many volunteers and HMG had to work to get people back from France to do their old jobs in the mines and shipyards. There were also top scientists (most famously Henry Moseley who gave us atomic numbers and was killed at Gallipoli) and dozens of MPs (how unlike today) serving.
  • Options
    Mr. Malmesbury, unfortunately, decomposition would prove unhelpful.

Although, a century or two ago, a French fellow did find a way to electroplate corpses. I always rather like that idea. Could function here to mitigate the impact.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    On the anti-Vax school invasions, I think I am inclined to think of them like the Insulate Britain types - fools
    disrupting others' lives because of their own ignorance.

I think various offences should be available including Aggravated Trespass, some around Harrassment, perhaps Obstruction, and others.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199

I noticed yesterday when we were discussing bottled water, that Volvic and Evian claim to be carbon neutral.

I don't know the equivalent figures for Evian, though I'd imagine much higher on both counts, but found out that Volvic bottle just over a billion litres of water every year (pleasingly to me, that's a Wembley Stadium filled to the brim each year), and over 50% of it is sold outside France.

What is it that they actually do to "neutralise" the carbon required to move 500,000 tons of water abroad every year, and that required to make a billion plastic bottles?

As far as these things go their record is not dreadful on the face of it, but it still relies on a lot of offsetting, which is ultimately not sustainable.

Some of it has an air of, "we did these things to save money and fortunately we get greenkudos for them too!" Which is good in the sense of progress being made, but it does still leave the hard/expensive things to do.

https://www.volvic.com/carbon-neutral/
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Mr. Farooq, I feel it important to remind PBers that, for serious offenders, the MD StarGun, my personal man cannon, remains an option.

Nobody can hear you bleat about insulation when you're hurtling through the vacuum of space into the heart of the sun.

I'll pass on your kind offer
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

That's the point. People will think somewhere - oh I should get this place insulated (if they can). And I'm guessing that whether some spanner glues himself to the DLR or not is not going to hasten or slow down that process. It will happen when the economics of it become compelling.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

I think it is reasonably effective, but I think stating 'it will move the zeitgeist further towards where they want' is an unproven statement and assumption. It's quite possible things go back to normal and people don't remember the message, as some other protest/movement gets their attention instead.

You're assuming it is moving the zeitgeist, but most protests are flash in a pan, in and out, or overwhelmed and absorbed by some much larger and more impactful message. People might just remember the loony protest and not the message.

Perhaps not, but you cannot assume the opposite either.
    I'm not really sure it will.

The higher energy prices are doing far more.

And the IB tits are putting out misinformation about subsidied insulation measures not being available; they are.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited October 2021
    HYUFD said:

TimT said:

No - I do agree with you

Hamilton got 55% of the vote in Tatton in 1992, Paterson got 62% of the vote in North Shropshire in 2019.

He would likely win again therefore in any by election if he ran again and it would need all other parties to stand down in favour of an Independent to even have a chance to unseat him
    I agree it's a heavy lift for Lib or Lab, that's why I'm suggesting the Martin Bell maneuver. Just comparing raw numbers like that it looks like it would flip?
    Hamilton: 55%-> -17.5% = 37.5%
    Paterson: 62%-> -17.5% = 44.5%

Now, obviously the cases aren't the same, in that Hamilton's probably sounded worse to the voters, and there was also the underlying collapse of the Con vote from 92 to 97. But this would be a by-election rather than a GE, so if you like the Tories but you don't like corruption you can send a message without risking government by the dreaded Tony Blair with the demon eyes. IDK, I think I'd favour Paterson to hold on but it feels like it might be a race.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Although, a century or two ago, a French fellow did find a way to electroplate corpses. I always rather like that idea. Could function here to mitigate the impact.

Freeze drying?

You can electroplate anything. Dip it in lacquer mixed with lots of carbon. Forms a thin film. Then electroplate away.

I got my wife some platinum plated roses for our 10th anniversary.
  • Options

TimT said:

No - I do agree with you

Think this formula covers most scenarios. Corbyn Labour would behave very similarly, previous Tory leaders and the current Labour leader would do it differently.
    Any evidence on Corbyn's Labour? David Cameron when LotO during the expenses scandal was widely thought to be protecting his mates and slinging out the Tory awkward squad, a policy followed in spades by Boris, except the definition of awkward squad had changed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

TimT said:

No - I do agree with you

I got a very strong impression of 'the rules don't apply to me' after reading the Standards Committee report. FWIW.

Also, FWIW, I'm a very long way from convinced that Randox is offering unique testing solutions, which would be the only way in which his claims might have some justification.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

Anti-insulators?
  • Options

Wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock made himself unavailable for South Africa's T20 World Cup match against West Indies after refusing to take the knee.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) issued a directive before the match that all players should make the gesture.

Captain Temba Bavuma said at the toss in Dubai that De Kock, 28, withdrew "for personal reasons"...

I don't think it can be concern about the state of his cartilage...
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

TimT said:

No - I do agree with you

I agree it's a heavy lift for Lib or Lab, that's why I'm suggesting the Martin Bell maneuver. Just comparing raw numbers like that it looks like it would flip?
    Hamilton: 55%-> -17.5% = 37.5%
    Paterson: 62%-> -17.5% = 44.5%

Now, obviously the cases aren't the same, in that Hamilton's probably sounded worse to the voters, and there was also the underlying collapse of the Con vote from 92 to 97. But this would be a by-election rather than a GE, so if you like the Tories but you don't like corruption you can send a message without risking government by the dreaded Tony Blair with the demon eyes. IDK, I think I'd favour Paterson to hold on but it feels like it might be a race.
    Given current polling compared to 1997 polling and the fact that Hamilton faced far worse allegations and had Christine by his side unlike Paterson who has had to deal with the tragic suicide of his wife over this I would expect Paterson to romp home even if a by election.

However I agree on paper it is possible he could lose if all other parties united behind a well known, whiter than white Independent on a Tatton 1997 style swing
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 776
    edited October 2021

MaxPB said:

Got the Pixel, definitely feels like I'm in the modern era!

I've ordered the non-pro. Hopefully I get it soon!
    Same here - due to arrive on Thursday!
  • Options

Vote Morris Dancer.

A carbon neutral solution, too.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

That is unclear.

For example, the Government may have been thinking about extra help for insulation but now cannot do so because it would be seen as caving in to Insulate Britain. So counter-productive in that scenario.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Singapore is currently providing a case-study in what zero-covid countries will face when they reopen.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

The only disappointing part of this is the commitment to non violence.

The state won't hesitate to use violence against them and we've had repeated violent fantasies about the protestors from the reactionaries on here.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Vote Morris Dancer.

A particular type of catapult, designed to throw heavy objects a long distance:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet

Otherwise you might just wade back to shore.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited October 2021

TimT said:

No - I do agree with you

Any evidence on Corbyn's Labour? David Cameron when LotO during the expenses scandal was widely thought to be protecting his mates and slinging out the Tory awkward squad, a policy followed in spades by Boris, except the definition of awkward squad had changed.
    The whole anti Semitism thing. "They can't be anti semitic because they are Corbyn's mates so are good."

Same as Boris's mates are "good old boys who have not dotted their I's and crossed their T's" when in reality they are breaking ethics rules in spirit and substance with impunity because of weak leadership.
  • Options

As far as these things go their record is not dreadful on the face of it, but it still relies on a lot of offsetting, which is ultimately not sustainable.

Some of it has an air of, "we did these things to save money and fortunately we get greenkudos for them too!" Which is good in the sense of progress being made, but it does still leave the hard/expensive things to do.

https://www.volvic.com/carbon-neutral/
    In their Carbon Footprint calculation -

Included - transportation of bottled water to local distribution sites

Not Included - transportation of bottled water to retailers (far too hard to calculate, apparently)

Given that the transportation that they do count is 30% of carbon footprint, the hole that they're choosing to ignore must be huge.
  • Options

Freeze drying?

You can electroplate anything. Dip it in lacquer mixed with lots of carbon. Forms a thin film. Then electroplate away.

Shouldn't that be tin?
  • Options

I don't know the equivalent figures for Evian, though I'd imagine much higher on both counts, but found out that Volvic bottle just over a billion litres of water every year (pleasingly to me, that's a Wembley Stadium filled to the brim each year)...

Who on earth enjoys the flavour of Wembley Stadium ?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    No doubt to my mind that the Insulate Britain protests are damned effective at doing what they seek to do: getting the issue of insulation into the public consciousness.

Are they annoying? Yes.

Do they push it too far? Certainly.

Is it effective? I'm afraid so.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781

Unpopular said:

Tory Mp not wearing masks (rather like Labour ones at Brighton incidentally) are sending the right message not the wrong one that the country needs ot get over its obsession with covid 19 especially given the drop in cases coming through .

There is no majority support for facemasks being made compulsory . you might get a leading survey indicating so but its naturally going to be a bit biased if only because it reminds people of covid to start with. Your stat of only 25% thameslink wearers show the public hate them really

I vaguely (so apologies for innacuracy) remember from my GCSE history, when I did WWI there was pressure on the Government to introduce conscription, with the attitude of men being 'Well, I'll go if I have to but I won't volunteer'. Even if people were happy (possibly the wrong word, but also possibly not!) to go, leaving a livelihood and a family would be a big step and people might have felt they needed this nudge. I wonder if mask wearing is similar. I know very few that like to wear them and human nature being human nature means that, without that pressure, people will wear them less often even if they support wearing them in principle. The public might very well hate masks (I know I do), but I see no contradiction between that hatred and support for continuing to wear them, nor do I see a contradiction between the reported levels of mask usage and public support for continuing to wear them.
    In WW1 the problem was there were too many volunteers and HMG had to work to get people back from France to do their old jobs in the mines and shipyards. There were also top scientists (most famously Henry Moseley who gave us atomic numbers and was killed at Gallipoli) and dozens of MPs (how unlike today) serving.
    Indeed, Asquith lost his son to the war while Prime Minister. I thought the comparison might not have been fully accurate, and, having read it, much prefer Nick Palmer's comparison between paying tax and wearing masks.
  • Options
    RobD said:

EU Commissioner Thierry Breton says Brexit is an "economic catastrophe" for Britain:

"Look at what's going on with store shelves ... with the restocking of fuel ... with the lack of nurses and doctors ... with the truck driver shortage [and] with everything construction. What's going on these days is a disaster," Breton said.

"Consider that after they said they could regain prosperity, which meant to some extent that every EU national would be kicked out — at least a large part of them — well now they need to come back, because nurses are missing. There's 100,000 truck drivers missing ... It is what it is and we deplore it," he added.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-commissioner-thierry-breton-brexit-an-economic-catastrophe-for-britain/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1635242575

I think this needs to be fact-checked. A large fraction of the EU nationals living in the UK have left?
    Breton seems to me to be one of Marcon's little mini-trolls.

He was one at the heart of the assault on AZ vaccines, and has been blathering on about fishermen, and said quite a bit of crazy (and untrue) stuff wrt submarines such as 'our contract *was* running to time'.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

Yes, they can. There is an obvious political risk in doing so, but with their mega-majority in that seat they might well do it.

History of UK recalls for anyone interested:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn05089/
  • Options

Freeze drying?

Shouldn't that be tin?
    The reason for powdered carbon in lacquer is, apparently, that it forms a very thin, conductive film at *room temperature* on anything.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

That is unclear.

For example, the Government may have been thinking about extra help for insulation but now cannot do so because it would be seen as caving in to Insulate Britain. So counter-productive in that scenario.
    Only in your usual dream world. The government is pro-insulation and will remain so. So the idea that they are suddenly going to er, go cold, on insulation because of IB is another of your bizarre fantasies I'm afraid.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?time=2021-09-08..latest&facet=none&Metric=Confirmed+cases&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=ITA~CAN~DEU~GBR~FRA~BEL~NLD~ESP~AUS~NZL

Not sure if this has been widely picked up on but several European countries are seeing rises in Covid cases. Belgium is currently has a much steeper rise in cases than we have experienced lately. Netherlands isn't far behind.

Germany looks to be on the increase and they do less than 10% of the testing that we do.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

RobD said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

And?

Doubt it.

That is unclear.

Crackdown after CoP26?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994
    MattW said:

RobD said:

EU Commissioner Thierry Breton says Brexit is an "economic catastrophe" for Britain:

"Look at what's going on with store shelves ... with the restocking of fuel ... with the lack of nurses and doctors ... with the truck driver shortage [and] with everything construction. What's going on these days is a disaster," Breton said.

"Consider that after they said they could regain prosperity, which meant to some extent that every EU national would be kicked out — at least a large part of them — well now they need to come back, because nurses are missing. There's 100,000 truck drivers missing ... It is what it is and we deplore it," he added.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-commissioner-thierry-breton-brexit-an-economic-catastrophe-for-britain/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1635242575

I think this needs to be fact-checked. A large fraction of the EU nationals living in the UK have left?

He was one at the heart of the assault on AZ vaccines, and has been blathering on about fishermen, and said quite a bit of crazy (and untrue) stuff wrt submarines such as 'our contract *was* running to time'.
    The Australians did not exercise any of the non performance clauses in their contract with Naval. Instead they elected for the vastly more expensive option of a termination for convenience.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    kle4 said:

Vote Morris Dancer.

Er, catapult is a Greek word ... καταπάλτες.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,147
    Dura_Ace said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

The state won't hesitate to use violence against them and we've had repeated violent fantasies about the protestors from the reactionaries on here.
    Well the state hasn’t used violence so far. The Party of law and order have been made mugs of by these cranks and simply emboldened them.

You talk about violent protest but I suspect that’s all it is. What’s stopping you going down to get stuck in if it comes to it.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

I would call the alleged commitment to non-violence a lie.

They have repeatedly, from the top to the bottom, expressed the view that the heath and lives of vulnerable people are expendable because their demonstrations are more important.

That is not non-violent, except in the most cynical terms.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

`
    I would disagree that £500bn of public money going into insulation is a good idea.

The comparison with the suffragettes is silly. The suffragettes are far from the first and far from the last version of civil disorder. Most such civil disorder burns out and gets forgotten about, the suffragettes are remembered as they are the exception not the rule.

Though its worth remembering that hundreds and possibly over a thousand of the suffragettes were imprisoned. Hundreds were sent to Holloway alone.

If hundreds of the Insulate Britain terrorists start getting imprisoned then that would start to be comparable.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

What crimes against humanity would these be?
  • Options
    edited October 2021

No doubt to my mind that the Insulate Britain protests are damned effective at doing what they seek to do: getting the issue of insulation into the public consciousness.

Are they annoying? Yes.

Effective in turning public opinion against them certainly. 72% now oppose their campaign, up from 59% in mid September
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1452626993355366405?s=20
  • Options
    o/t but unexpected in more than one way: Mr McCluskey on Scottish Labour politics:

"We've been telling Labour in Scotland since 2007 – when a certain Nicola Sturgeon won a seat in Glasgow – to wake up and smell the coffee," he said on the BBC's Good Morning Scotland programme.

"The reality is the SNP have stolen the radical clothes of Scottish Labour and Scottish Labour have lost the trust of ordinary working people."

To win back that trust, the former union leader said: "They're going to have to battle really strongly; in my opinion they should support a second referendum on independence, what they actually do when that referendum comes can still be debated."

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19672548.len-mccluskey-tells-anas-sarwar-back-scottish-independence-vote/
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,979

Vote Morris Dancer.

Look, Mr Dancer. Some of us care for the environment. Pollution is bad. What have the good denizens of the North Sea done to deserve having such a lot of toxic trash deposited amongst them?
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, I did not know that.

I wonder if peltasts (skirmishers who threw javelins/darts, I think) has the same root...

Mr. W, blocking people trying to see dying relatives is pretty damned wretched.
  • Options
  • Options

Vote Morris Dancer.

Look, Mr Dancer. Some of us care for the environment. Pollution is bad. What have the good denizens of the North Sea done to deserve having such a lot of toxic trash deposited amongst them?
    Genetically modified super-haddock have to eat....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Are they annoying? Yes.

Effective in turning public opinion against them certainly. 72% now oppose their campaign, up from 59% in mid September
    Irrelevant. The point is that insulation is now in the public consciousness as a first order environmental issue in the way that it previously was not. So, job done from IB's point of view.
  • Options

I wonder if peltasts (skirmishers who threw javelins/darts, I think) has the same root...

No, they're named after the πέλτη (pelte), the wicker shield they carried.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Vote Morris Dancer.

Make it tuneable and you can run it as a tourist attraction at the weekends and a protestor tosser during the week. It would probably even be self funding.
  • Options

Yes, they can. There is an obvious political risk in doing so, but with their mega-majority in that seat they might well do it.

Thanks for the link.

I just feel Paterson winds up back to where he is now irrespective of the route taken
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Are they annoying? Yes.

Irrelevant. The point is that insulation is now in the public consciousness as a first order environmental issue in the way that it previously was not. So, job done from IB's point of view.
    They already have leftwingers on board, most conservatives will be sceptical of their campaign anyway, now outright opposed.

They needed to win those in the middle, this will have turned them against so as not to reward their methods
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

The Australians did not exercise any of the non performance clauses in their contract with Naval. Instead they elected for the vastly more expensive option of a termination for convenience.
    Not sure what that is supposed to mean. They hadn't gone sunbathing in San Tropez either.

However, at an early stage the contract was a number of years behind schedule, and already 10s of bns over cost. That is well known.

• Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    I hope Nick Clegg is enjoying his millions, while the company he sold out to burns democracy down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/facebook-knew-radicalized-users-rcna3581
  • Options
    edited October 2021

One would think so, but that is an epsilon not an alpha as the second letter so I checked - and it is from πέλτη pelte for the kind of light shield they had. Not what I had expected, either.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, fret not, the swine won't be there long.

Mr. F, some imbeciles have a fetish for pretending they're heroic types like the Rebel Alliance. This necessitates their opposition being the Empire.
  • Options

darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

`
    I would disagree that £500bn of public money going into insulation is a good idea.

The comparison with the suffragettes is silly. The suffragettes are far from the first and far from the last version of civil disorder. Most such civil disorder burns out and gets forgotten about, the suffragettes are remembered as they are the exception not the rule.

Though its worth remembering that hundreds and possibly over a thousand of the suffragettes were imprisoned. Hundreds were sent to Holloway alone.

If hundreds of the Insulate Britain terrorists start getting imprisoned then that would start to be comparable.

But where does this end. They are fanatics. They won’t be appeased and the police and govt are completely toothless in dealing with them. The party of law and order cannot protect our borders and cannot stop various eco extremists disrupting the M25 with the knock on effects that has on peoples lives and jobs down there.

How does this end now without a major climb down on either of the sides as the authorities have allowed it to get to this stage without nipping it in the bud.
  • Options
    A significant move towards enabling an efficient second hand market in EVs:

Global EV group sets standards for pricing used batteries
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Global-EV-group-sets-standards-for-pricing-used-batteries
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Aslan said:

I hope Nick Clegg is enjoying his millions, while the company he sold out to burns democracy down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/facebook-knew-radicalized-users-rcna3581

Does that includes its banning of Far Right parties like the BNP and Britain First and also banning the EDL on Facebook? To be honest I think Zuckerberg tries to keep some sort of balance politically for both left and right without letting too many extremists in.

Twitter in any case is a more political social media than Facebook and Instagram
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/apr/18/facebook-bans-far-right-groups-including-bnp-edl-and-britain-first
  • Options

darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

`

Firstly, it won't cost £500bn for insulation. That's a rhetoric number for PR purposes I suspect.

Secondly, IB are a collection of idiots groomed into criminal actions. Suffragettes were far more serious - with quite a spectrum of activists up to and including SHAC types actions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are they annoying? Yes.

They already have leftwingers on board, most conservatives will be sceptical of their campaign anyway, now outright opposed.

They needed to win those in the middle, this will have turned them against so as not to reward their methods
    Most left wingers seem to support the cause but not the means.

Still, your party, the party of govt, the party of law and order has been inept in dealing with this as has the police.

I hope other groups do the same. Anti vaxxers, pro refugees, any other Fringe groups looking for publicity.

The govt has shown no spine and allowed it to happen. Let’s have a free for all.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Vote Morris Dancer.

Make it tuneable and you can run it as a tourist attraction at the weekends and a protestor tosser during the week. It would probably even be self funding.
    Don't give Morris Dancer ideas.
    Some things should remain in the realms of fantasy.
  • Options
    Taz said:

darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

`

But where does this end. They are fanatics. They won’t be appeased and the police and govt are completely toothless in dealing with them. The party of law and order cannot protect our borders and cannot stop various eco extremists disrupting the M25 with the knock on effects that has on peoples lives and jobs down there.

How does this end now without a major climb down on either of the sides as the authorities have allowed it to get to this stage without nipping it in the bud.
    What the police need to do more of, is deploy (more of) a completely inhumane and terrifying weapon.....

Cups of tea.

Standard procedure when someone fastens themselves to something is to feed them cups of tea. After a while, the attached party becomes interested in being unattached. Rapidly....

I've heard stories that protestors who chained themselves to something, threw the keys away and then abused the police discovered that Constable Savage had lost his bolt cutters at that point.....
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    The public are not demasking because some MPs are. The public are not watching BBC parliament. The public pay little to no heed to what politicians are doing. The public are demasking because they have been vaccinated, and if they not to get back to normal now, when will they get back to normal? Covid is no longer scaring people, and they are behaving accordingly. And some MPs, belatedly, are taking their lead from the public.

Mike, if not now, at what point do you think the public should be allowed to demask? When hospitalisations are at half their current levels? When infections are half their current levels? A quarter? No infections at all? Ever?

I appreciate your particular sensitivities about your health, but for most people, the threat is now of a cold. We didn't mask for that in the past.

• Options

Thanks for the link.

I just feel Paterson winds up back to where he is now irrespective of the route taken
    The climate change-denying tosser has done more to harm humanity than XR or IB ever could.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423

Are they annoying? Yes.

But literally nobody is making the case that we shouldn't be insulating our homes. Most of us our insulating our homes.
    By default, I'm quite enthusiastic about environmental causes. Pillocks like these make me less sympathetic to their cause.
  • Options
    Taz said:

darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

`

Like most criminal activity it seems a teeny minority of people keep breaking the law again and again in a revolving door. The Police arrest them, then they're back on the streets by Friday to be arrested again and again and again.

It only ends when you stop the revolving door. If someone is arrested a second time for criminal activity while on bail then hold them on remand until their trial ends. They can't keep breaking the law if they don't keep getting released to do it again.
  • Options
    Miss Livermore, ah, that stirs a faint memory now you mention it. Should probably re-read Dodge. (That's why the hoplon chaps are called hoplites, after all).

Mr. Carnyx, aye, my memory failed me.
  • Options
    Mr. B, hey! I had these ideas long before mainstreamers thought of them!
  • Options
    Some interesting tables in this article;
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58171814

I hadn't realised the average diesel car carrying four passengers produces less than half the CO2 emissions (per passenger) of the average bus.
  • Options

Vote Morris Dancer.

Has the PB space trebuchet been retired then?
  • Options

Taz said:

darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

`

What the police need to do more of, is deploy (more of) a completely inhumane and terrifying weapon.....

Cups of tea.

Standard procedure when someone fastens themselves to something is to feed them cups of tea. After a while, the attached party becomes interested in being unattached. Rapidly....

I've heard stories that protestors who chained themselves to something, threw the keys away and then abused the police discovered that Constable Savage had lost his bolt cutters at that point.....
    I believe the cups of tea and cakes have been tried several times in London already. The Met May be inept At policing but they are not bad at taking protesters order for elevenses.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,969

Vote Morris Dancer.

The maximum range has been reduced for carbon emission reasons.
  • Options
    Mr. 4u, the space cannon, solar-powered death ray, and multiple trebuchets remain fully operational!
  • Options
    eek said:

Vote Morris Dancer.

The maximum range has been reduced for carbon emission reasons.
    Surely only an issue on re-entry on suborbital misfires...
  • Options
    On sustainable foods, here's Soylent Green without the human element.

https://solarfoods.fi/our-news/solar-foods-takes-concrete-steps-to-enter-the-market-construction-of-factory-01-begins-set-to-produce-the-worlds-most-sustainable-protein-in-2023/
    Solein is a complete protein containing all the essential amino acids. It vanishes into foods and doesn’t change the taste of familiar, everyday food products.
    Solein is produced using a bioprocess where microbes are fed with gases (carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and oxygen) and small amounts of nutrients. The bioprocess resembles winemaking, with carbon dioxide and hydrogen replacing sugar as the source of carbon and energy, respectively.
    Solein complements the nutritional profile of plant-based food products without the consumer noticing a difference in the final dish. It can be used as a structure-forming ingredient for example in alternative dairy and meat, different snacks and beverages, noodles and pasta, or breads and spreads in replacing meat, dairy, and egg. See more at: https://www.solein.com/foods
    The production of Solein is not reliant on agriculture, weather, or climate: it can be produced in harsh conditions such as deserts, Arctic areas, even space. The process does not require agriculture, photosynthetic plants, or animals, making Solein the world’s most sustainable protein.
    Solein will become available for commercial use for the first time. It is aimed at food brands looking for nutritious, neutral, functional, and sustainable protein ingredients of consistent quality that can be reliably delivered for their products...
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited October 2021
    Nigelb said:

Some interesting tables in this article;
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58171814

I hadn't realised the average diesel car carrying four passengers produces less than half the CO2 emissions (per passenger) of the average bus.

Yes, it is only single person cars that are worse. The same goes for diesel trains. I suppose the argument might be that the bus is going anyway, but increasing their frequency to replace shared cars is not a winner.

Buses also seem to be exempt from emissions rules, at least round here. You wouldn't want to follow one on a bicycle.

They seem to be an ideal use case for conversion to battery power.
  • Options

Taz said:

darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

`

Like most criminal activity it seems a teeny minority of people keep breaking the law again and again in a revolving door. The Police arrest them, then they're back on the streets by Friday to be arrested again and again and again.

It only ends when you stop the revolving door. If someone is arrested a second time for criminal activity while on bail then hold them on remand until their trial ends. They can't keep breaking the law if they don't keep getting released to do it again.
    True but the Police/criminal justice system has show no intention of doing so, just lots of empty words from the likes of Grant Shapps, they don’t look likely to deal with it either.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

`

Cups of tea.

I believe the cups of tea and cakes have been tried several times in London already. The Met May be inept At policing but they are not bad at taking protesters order for elevenses.
    I remember a story that some US cops were startled by this approach, when observing the Met at work. Then impressed, when an hour or so later (after the reporters had wandered off).....
  • Options

Thanks for the link.

The climate change-denying tosser has done more to harm humanity than XR or IB ever could.
    Paterson personifies why I have never voted Conservative.

XR and IB?
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

darkage said:

Insulate Britain
    @InsulateLove
    · 2h

`

Cups of tea.

I remember a story that some US cops were startled by this approach, when observing the Met at work. Then impressed, when an hour or so later (after the reporters had wandered off).....
    That's fine if someone's chained themselves to some bollards or fencing and people can just walk around them.

Its a different matter when they've glued themselves to the roads that people are trying to drive through.
This discussion has been closed.