Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE 2015 – the view of the spread betting trader

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    surbiton said:

FINAL FORECAST
    based on the Yougov 10000.
    England, Scotland and Wales separately calculated by UNS.

LAB 283
    CON 271
    SNP 52
    LD 17
    UKIP 3*
    PC 3
    GRN 1
    RES 1*
    SPK 1
    NI 18
    Total 650

* Only 4 seats were not calculated by UNS. Three have been manually adjusted for UKIP. Clacton, Thanet S from Con and Thurrock from Labour. One for Respect from Labour.

No other statistical adjustments have been done.

and, a very Good Morning to all !

Just to be clear this is SURBY's forecast not the official YouGov (which I think basically flips Con & Lab numbers above)?

Off to Istanbul for dinner, so play nicely while I'm away. Will be back tomorrow morning to pick up the pieces :)
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Opinium just polled me on a post-voting survey - who did you vote for and why, and what's a legitimate government.

Did you answer enigmatically and say 'I am"' that's what I'd have done!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    That's a rather good idea. I'm expecting Twitter to be unreadable tonight - I follow about 200 political types and they'll be on overdrive - the kitten pix will have to take a back seat :wink:
    Freggles said:

Plato said:

Is there any news on a back-up PB in case Vanilla falls over under the F5s? We had another one that worked really well last time.

We could always use a twitter hashtag

#PBliveson
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    philiph said:

Plato said:

I'm telling for the first time today - any advice?

Wear a smile
    and nothing else...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,917
    Can anyone with Times access summarise their front page story
    "Queen to Take Control of Election Aftermath"?

I though she was staying as far away from the mess as possible, until the politicians had decided to behave like adults and tell her the outcome?
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Patrick said:

Roger said:

Richard Nabavi

Who knows? To be honest I've not given it much thought, since if, God forbid, we do end up with Ed Miliband in No 10, there will be much more important things to worry about than David Cameron.

In any case his place in history as one of the very best post-war PMs is already assured."

Have you ever thought about doing 'stand-up'?

There is a good chance that history will judge Cameron much better than Brown or Blair, at the very least. Holding together a coalition during the economic crisis was not easy. Blair had it easy with a large majority and will be stained by the wars, whilst Brown will be stained by the economic crash and Labour's tribal infighting, much of which he caused.

Major's reputation seems to have been rehabilitated since he left power. Blair and Brown's have both plummeted. Time will tell which way Cameron's will go: Richard might well be correct.
    hmmm

I think Cameron will be judged by his own benchmark that he'd make a pretty good PM, whereas he's been pretty average.

Cameron always strikes me as someone who has underachieved his potential.
    It's the politics he's not very good at. The 2010 election campaign, the 2015 campaign, the management of his own party, his own MPs, the positioning within the EU, selling his mission statement to the general public and triangulating his policy positions to try and demonstrate modernisation, and curry the most votes.

That's why he'll lose. In pure administrative terms, the competence of this government has been quite good - and much better than Labour - particularly on jobs, tax, economy, infrastructure, science, pensions, welfare and education reform.
    Success in politics covers two dimensions:
    1. The retail side. Getting elected, managing people, aligning factions, driving belief - basically the whole art of shaping opinion and putting yourself in a position to be able to deliver on your beliefs (assuming you have any in the first place); and
    2. The managerial side. Delivering well and competently when in power. This means making the country a better place. It does not necessarily mean being able to force through a ruinous agenda.

Blair (and the Labour party generally) excel at 1. But suck harder than the vacuum of deep space at 2.

Dave (and the Tory party generally) are really very good at 2. But suck way more than is acceptable at 1.

Thus Blair and Dave are examples of potentially great but in fact deeply flawed politicians. The true political greats have strength in both dimensions.
    Depends what you mean by "making the country a better place" among other things.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

I though she was staying as far away from the mess as possible, until the politicians had decided to behave like adults and tell her the outcome?

She's learned from 2010 when we were suggesting it might be required to #activatethequeen
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,625
    Well, as the army of voters march to the voting booths, the pollsters tell us a quarter of them are making their mind up - right now....

Tory 41%, Labour 26% anybody?
  • Options
    Nominations for the 2010 political volte face or volte farce awards can start.

2010 Newport East.
    http://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20100513080200/http://www.dawnparry.com/

2015 Bristol West.

http://dawnparry.com/
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I presume MORI, The Good Lord and ICM are late because they are trying to work out how the results can be that bad for the blues
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    To paraphrase - QE2 would deliver Queen's Speech, even if it could be overturned the following week if the Tories failed to get enough backing from smaller parties.

It's a change to how they normally do this stuff apparently.
    Sandpit said:

• Options
    Plato said:

To paraphrase - QE2 would deliver Queen's Speech, even if it could be overturned the following week if the Tories failed to get enough backing from smaller parties.

Sandpit said:

Quite the opposite. She will NOT deliver a QS unless it's passage is secure via coalition, s and c or agreement to abstain
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    Voted in the first batch. Queues and a small fracas. All before 7:10am.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

You in Soweto?!
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    DavidL said:

I have been saying since January at least that the markets are out of line with the polling and severely over estimating the Tory chances. If Sporting Index are carrying a substantial book based on their mid points I expect them to once again make a lot of money.

The final set of polls last night seemed to me to make the Conservatives being the largest party almost impossible and one simply has to apply the regional swings from Yougov to see how seats are going to fall.

I expect Cameron to have resigned by this time tomorrow.

But, but... How difficult is it to imagine 2010 in reverse? Then it was Labour incumbents who held on - this time it could be Tory incumbents who hold on. In 2010 the forecast was that 30% would give Labour less than 230 seats - they got 258. This time 34/35% might give the Tories 300 seats.

Take a look at these 17 seats. They're the difference between Labour getting 262 seats (losing) and getting 279 seats (winning). How confident are you that they will all fall? Brighton Kemptown, Pudsey, Northampton N, Halesowen, Bury N, Wirral W, Chester, Croydon C, Keighley, Cannock, Harrow E, Ealing C, Rossendale, Peterborough, Milton Keynes S, S Ribble, Finchley.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited May 2015
    So the polls released today will actually have been done after the bank holiday?
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606
    Off out later knocking up.I think the Tories have got it down here in Pembs, but still working hard to get the Labour vote out.
    Over last 48 hours felt people actually made up their minds.Better late than never I guess.
    Good luck to fellow canvassers.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

You in Soweto?!
    Sussex. A retired gent was very angry, ranting at the staff for no discernible reason whatsoever. Going to be a looooong day for the staff.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Quite the opposite. She will NOT deliver a QS unless it's passage is secure via coalition, s and c or agreement to abstain

The Times can reveal that Buckingham Palace has had a change of heart in recent days and decided that Her Majesty will deliver the Queen’s Speech — which sets the agenda for her government — whatever the outcome of the election.

The palace had voiced fears that her reputation would be tarnished should Mr Cameron try to put forward a Queen’s Speech before he could guarantee the backing of enough MPs to govern. It had suggested that the Queen might stay away from the event, planned for May 27 in the House of Lords, in case the speech was voted down in the Commons.

Royal sources confirmed that she would lead proceedings, even if there was a risk that the speech would be overthrown the following week because the Tories had failed to muster enough backing from smaller parties.
  • Options
    I am now leaving this place to go to a place of electioning to cast my ballot. I shall pick up some tabs and return to report on turnout in Broadland at this unholy hour.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Good morning ARSE lovers worldwide .... :smiley:
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,751
    FalseFlag said:

FalseFlag said:

Roger said:

Richard Nabavi

Who knows? To be honest I've not given it much thought, since if, God forbid, we do end up with Ed Miliband in No 10, there will be much more important things to worry about than David Cameron.

In any case his place in history as one of the very best post-war PMs is already assured."

There is a good chance that history will judge Cameron much better than Brown or Blair, at the very least. Holding together a coalition during the economic crisis was not easy. Blair had it easy with a large majority and will be stained by the wars, whilst Brown will be stained by the economic crash and Labour's tribal infighting, much of which he caused.

Major's reputation seems to have been rehabilitated since he left power. Blair and Brown's have both plummeted. Time will tell which way Cameron's will go: Richard might well be correct.
    I can't imagine his foreign policy as being regarded as anything but a complete disaster. Let's hope he resigns sooner rather than later but I doubt he has the integrity.
    Yes, he did not follow Putin's every whim.

I can see why you might be upset about that.
    Blair mkII, we all know whose orders he follows and it isn't the British interest. Don't like his obvious failings being highlighted, the destruction in the Middle East and North Africa are consequences my generation will have to live with for decades.
    Here endeth the lecture from Russia.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Times can reveal that Buckingham Palace has had a change of heart in recent days and decided that Her Majesty will deliver the Queen’s Speech — which sets the agenda for her government — whatever the outcome of the election.

The palace had voiced fears that her reputation would be tarnished should Mr Cameron try to put forward a Queen’s Speech before he could guarantee the backing of enough MPs to govern. It had suggested that the Queen might stay away from the event, planned for May 27 in the House of Lords, in case the speech was voted down in the Commons.

Royal sources confirmed that she would lead proceedings, even if there was a risk that the speech would be overthrown the following week because the Tories had failed to muster enough backing from smaller parties.
    Has she gone mad?! Russian roulette with the constitutional make up of the nation.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,066
    Dadge said:

DavidL said:

I have been saying since January at least that the markets are out of line with the polling and severely over estimating the Tory chances. If Sporting Index are carrying a substantial book based on their mid points I expect them to once again make a lot of money.

The final set of polls last night seemed to me to make the Conservatives being the largest party almost impossible and one simply has to apply the regional swings from Yougov to see how seats are going to fall.

But, but... How difficult is it to imagine 2010 in reverse? Then it was Labour incumbents who held on - this time it could be Tory incumbents who hold on. In 2010 the forecast was that 30% would give Labour less than 230 seats - they got 258. This time 34/35% might give the Tories 300 seats.

Take a look at these 17 seats. They're the difference between Labour getting 262 seats (losing) and getting 279 seats (winning). How confident are you that they will all fall? Brighton Kemptown, Pudsey, Northampton N, Halesowen, Bury N, Wirral W, Chester, Croydon C, Keighley, Cannock, Harrow E, Ealing C, Rossendale, Peterborough, Milton Keynes S, S Ribble, Finchley.
    The swings are too large. The tories needed to be at least 5% ahead in the polls to keep the swing down to something they could cope with. But the polls are basically showing support level. I still expect the tories to get the most votes but it is going to be far too close.
  • Options

Has she gone mad?! Russian roulette with the constitutional make up of the nation.

Whitehall officials feared that the decision to stay away would in itself be a political act, since the Queen would effectively be prejudging the outcome of the vote by MPs. It would also break with precedent. In January 1924, George?V gave a King’s Speech shortly before the government was defeated.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,452
    Plato said:

Is there any news on a back-up PB in case Vanilla falls over under the F5s? We had another one that worked really well last time.

It seemed to be struggling a bit last night....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,242

Well, as the army of voters march to the voting booths, the pollsters tell us a quarter of them are making their mind up - right now....

Doubt that in Torbay :D
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Morning PB.

Beautiful sunny morning here in London. The kind to make even the most apathetic mythical Labour dependent tear themselves away their 55" taxpayer funded 3D OLED TV and bother voting.

[I wish I believed it]
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,190

Scott_P said:

I don't see the problem, if they don't like it parliament can do what they've done before amend the subsequent motion to say, "Lovely delivery, Your Majesty, and we totally appreciate you dropping by, but we respectfully submit that we think your government is a pile of pants".
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Morning, wet and windy here. Was first in to my polling station who were still getting ready! Also had the Opinium poll on how and why voted.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,277
    Good luck Nick!!
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Scott_P said:

Whitehall officials feared that the decision to stay away would in itself be a political act, since the Queen would effectively be prejudging the outcome of the vote by MPs. It would also break with precedent. In January 1924, George?V gave a King’s Speech shortly before the government was defeated.
    I dare say this is correct in theory, but in 2015 there's no way Cameron and Miliband will do this to HMQ.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I have frankly not understood Tory party strategy at all. They have spent their time chasing a couple of dozen Lib Dem seats and not done nearly enough to fight the 50-60 seats they are going to lose to Labour today. It seems bizarre to me, particularly when their only chance of maintaining power was to go into a second coalition with the same Lib Dem party diminished by the loss of the seats they are chasing.

Only the disaster in Scotland is going to stop Ed having an overall majority today. I think Labour most seats is inevitable despite this. It frankly depresses me that firstly in the referendum and now in the GE such a large percentage of our population put so little weight on fiscal sanity, sound government, sound money and a recognition that the State has to be paid for. But that's the way it is and today the Tories are going to suffer the consequences. In Scotland of course the people in their wisdom have determined that Labour is not lunatic enough and have found something even more unrealistic.

For Dave, a day in Cornwall will always be an easier sell than tramping the pavements of suburbia just off The M1
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Why is Crosby stating Ipsos +5 for Tories, Ashcroft +2, old polls?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I believe that I was the first person to note publicly that the upcoming election could cause difficulties for the Queen:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/03/10/antifrank-guest-slot-how-the-monarchy-might-suffer-in-the-post-election-scramble/

I'm quite proud of that.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,063
    tradition breaker...

where's hugh ferbie-withastall on his bike?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,060

Why is Crosby stating Ipsos +5 for Tories, Ashcroft +2, old polls?

No idea...

Is Crosby a PB Tory?

Anyway, lovely morning here is SW London and I can feel the winds of change blowing through...
  • Options
    Financier said:

Morning, wet and windy here. Was first in to my polling station who were still getting ready! Also had the Opinium poll on how and why voted.

So are our polls being skewed by an over representation of up with the lark PBers?

As my voting pattern is inevitably go at about 2000 and have a pint afterwards it's no wonder I never get exit polled
  • Options
    Roger said:

Good luck Nick!!

Absolutely. Best of luck!
  • Options
    Has the Mail told readers where Mrs Miliband bought her lovely pink twin set from?

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/596204238939783168
  • Options
    @patrickwintour: Found on Crisp Street just metres or in my case yards from a polling station in East London. http://t.co/caLxUvdPNW
  • Options
    Plato said:

Sandpit said:

Wow, that's something of a change to what was expected. So basically, if Cons are largest party and there's no obvious coalition of the Left, expect Dave to dare everyone to vote down the Queen's Speech!

Exciting times ahead :D
  • Options

Financier said:

So are our polls being skewed by an over representation of up with the lark PBers?

As my voting pattern is inevitably go at about 2000 and have a pint afterwards it's no wonder I never get exit polled
    There were no tellers present or even a police presence. Rush will come about 10am after milking and wives having tidied up their farmer husbands.
  • Options
    You know where they live :naughty:
    Pulpstar said:

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

Has the Mail told readers where Mrs Miliband bought her lovely pink twin set from?

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/596204238939783168

Is that Ed's first visit to Doncaster since 2010?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd settle for that tho!
  • Options
    JackW said:

Any ominous rumblings to cause concern that your ARSE may be in trouble, JackW?
  • Options
    A crisp sunny morning in leafy north Hertfordshire.

I'm promised some calls later in the day and anything tasty, non actionable or barely interesting I will endeavour to pass along.

Good luck to all PB candidates and party workers today on what will I'm sure prove to a long and eventful 24 hours.
  • Options
    We had two polling stations down here with no one telling until yesterday. I took the more marginal of them. The weather is nice - mostly sunshine and odd showers so hoping not to get too wet or bored.
    Financier said:

Financier said:

There were no tellers present or even a police presence. Rush will come about 10am after milking and wives having tidied up their farmer husbands.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Good morning all.

Best wishes to Nick Palmer and all others involved in today's events. I hope the day brings you whatever you desire and, if it doesn't, that you are not too downhearted.

I have no more idea than anyone else what the outcome will be but as a wild guess will go for

Labour: 300,
    UKIP: 2,
    Lib Dems: 25,
    Northern Ireland: 18,
    Others:3,
    Speaker: 1,
    SNP: 40 and
    Cons: 259

When Labour won in 1997 within 48 hours they announced - much to everyone's surprise - the independence of the Bank of England.

Might Labour do something similar?

If so - very very wild off the wall guess here - might they announce that the UK will join the Euro??

It would keep the Lib Dems and SNP on side, would drive the Tories completely batshit crazy and would make Milliband the darling of the Eurocrats.

And on that note, off to vote and work.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I am defining the Jockalypse as SNP >=50 seats

If you believe the jockalypse cannot happen then Labour most seats is screaming value. Monstrous.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,043

JackW said:

My ARSE has been I'm trouble since yesterday lunchtime. Hoping its now behaving itself so I can pound the streets of Stockton South as planned

• Options
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Good morning all.

Best wishes to Nick Palmer and all others involved in today's events. I hope the day brings you whatever you desire and, if it doesn't, that you are not too downhearted.

I have no more idea than anyone else what the outcome will be but as a wild guess will go for

When Labour won in 1997 within 48 hours they announced - much to everyone's surprise - the independence of the Bank of England.

If so - very very wild off the wall guess here - might they announce that the UK will join the Euro??

It would keep the Lib Dems and SNP on side, would drive the Tories completely batshit crazy and would make Milliband the darling of the Eurocrats.

The police would have to be busy, taking the shotguns off every Kipper with a licence.....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

That would be a brave move - in the Sir Humphrey sense!
  • Options
    Vote cast in Broadland. Turnout steady, fun playing guess the allegiance with cute girl and crusty old duffers. Green to win, or at least chalk one up :-)
    Local election disappointing - pick 2 from 2 Tory, 2 lib and one kipper. great choice, thanks
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If you believe the jockalypse cannot happen then Labour most seats is screaming value. Monstrous.

I agree in respect of the SNP. It won't stop Labour getting most seats though, just a majority.
  • Options

JackW said:

Absolutely not.

My ARSE is looking especially resplendent this fine morning but also looking forward to a well earned sabbatical in warmer climes where the following phrase need not require any internal rationalization :

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Cyclefree said:

Good morning all.

No chance.

More likely they will toughen up the OBR to give them more credibility for their financial planning
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Done, voted for Damian Hinds here in Hampshire... nice weather early this morning but a bit cloudy now.
  • Options
    Are you feeling better - you mentioned being very under the weather last night?

How is Stockton South looking? I've no idea about the seat bar your posts.

JackW said:

My ARSE has been I'm trouble since yesterday lunchtime. Hoping its now behaving itself so I can pound the streets of Stockton South as planned

• Options
    Plato said:
    Did these people work for Romney by any chance? Or Salmond?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Roger said:

Richard Nabavi

The economic crisis was over, it was about managing the recovery.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,150
    Good morning, fellow voters.

Cheers for the article, Mr. Nutbrown. Although I do expect the SNP to top 50 seats, I don't think the index price is that much out of whack. Only a total clean sweep or sub-40 would be a surprise result at this stage.

Miss Cyclefree, you poker of hornet nests'!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,169
    antifrank said:

I believe that I was the first person to note publicly that the upcoming election could cause difficulties for the Queen:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/03/10/antifrank-guest-slot-how-the-monarchy-might-suffer-in-the-post-election-scramble/

I'm quite proud of that.

This will go down in history as the Antifrank election. Beware of sounding too smug :-)

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Bright sunshine here, though more "Baltic" than tropical.
    My best wishes to all the foot soldiers out there.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

He wouldn't dare do that, he would be eaten alive by all sides, including most of those who voted for him!

He would also have to repeal the law that the current government passed, that such matters should be referred directly to the electorate.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,252
    Jonathan said:

My polling station was busy at 7.25am this morning too, I had to queue and wait to get my ballot.

High turnout?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,169
    Plato said:
    I'd take that.

In reality, though, the gap will be a little wider.

• Options
    What happens to the votes for the Kipper chappy who has been suspended by UKIP? Do they still count with him as an Indy instead or are they void?

Jonathan said:

My polling station was busy at 7.25am this morning too, I had to queue and wait to get my ballot.

High turnout?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The SNP today looks like Labour in 1997. We Tories KNEW it was going to be bad. We just had a vain hope that it wouldn't be as horrendous as it turned out.

SLAB is as trashed today as the Tories were in 97. SNP to poll 50%+ and take at least 55 seats...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    This seems a reasonable forecast if you assume some shy Tories. I'll go with this.

https://twitter.com/fpp2015/status/596207897794641921
  • Options

Jonathan said:

High turnout?
    I think it was an extreme example but during the referendum the percentage that had voted did not change at all in Dundee between 12 and 8 and barely after that. I think people might be getting into the habit of voting early or using a postal vote.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,252

Scott_P said:

I don't see the problem, if they don't like it parliament can do what they've done before amend the subsequent motion to say, "Lovely delivery, Your Majesty, and we totally appreciate you dropping by, but we respectfully submit that we think your government is a pile of pants".
    That would be a bit rude on Ed's first Queen's Speech.
  • Options
    indianhavenindianhaven Posts: 22

I presume MORI, The Good Lord and ICM are late because they are trying to work out how the results can be that bad for the blues

I dont think there is any requirement to publish before 7.00. But after that Broadcasters cannot report the results. MORI have usually reported mid morning on election day for first edition of Evening Standard.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

That would be a bit rude on Ed's first Queen's Speech.
    Could be the first and last....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,277
    Cyclefree

"If so - very very wild off the wall guess here - might they announce that the UK will join the Euro??"

So you're going for the '45 minutes to save the pound' vote?
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Freggles said:

This seems a reasonable forecast if you assume some shy Tories. I'll go with this.

Why is it reasonable to use the same colour for both Labour and UKIP?

• Options
    @guyadams: Just 24 hours to go until the authorities in Tower Hamlets begin their first disputed recount
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    First time for everything. No Labour candidates , not even paper ones in my ward for the local elections.. as of 8am 7 people had voted!
  • Options
    I'll be bored then...
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

High turnout?
    I think it was an extreme example but during the referendum the percentage that had voted did not change at all in Dundee between 12 and 8 and barely after that. I think people might be getting into the habit of voting early or using a postal vote.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Absolutely not.

My ARSE is looking especially resplendent this fine morning but also looking forward to a well earned sabbatical in warmer climes where the following phrase need not require any internal rationalization :

I am clinging to it ....
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    edited May 2015
    Nobody can say a bookie doesn't know how to make money, but the media comment has certainly assumed probability distributions that are ridiculously leptokurtic. Bettors have followed suit by staking so that bookies and betting exchanges are offering odds that imply the probability of a hung parliament is around 93%, which is far too high given the unknowns and their probable weight.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    It just struck me what was odd about going to vote today.
    The lamp posts were devoid of boards, and there seemed to be no posters in the windows.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Absolutely not.

I am clinging to it ....
    Jack's ARSE has given refuge to many.....
  • Options

Freggles said:

Why is it reasonable to use the same colour for both Labour and UKIP?

UKIP looks more pink.. which is amusing given their track record
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,150
    Mr. N, you think there's a realistic prospect (greater than 7%) of one party achieving a minority?

I agree it's possible, but I do think it's unlikely.
  • Options
    Golly, where are you?

First time for everything. No Labour candidates , not even paper ones in my ward for the local elections.. as of 8am 7 people had voted!

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Horsham
  • Options
    JackW

I must have missed your final ARSE. What was it?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

"If so - very very wild off the wall guess here - might they announce that the UK will join the Euro??"

So you're going for the '45 minutes to save the pound' vote?

No - you will see that I have predicted that Labour will win handsomely, one of the few on here to do so. You will also know that I have indicated that I won't be voting Tory.

I was just speculating on what might be Labour's first major decision. The last Labour government introduced a bold measure, Ed Milliband has done something similar e.g. the energy policy announcement and I was wondering last night whether they might be doing so again and, if so, what that might be.

Whatever the economic consequences it might have some good political outcomes for him - or so he might think.

• Options
    Well that's @Jonathan's backyard!

Horsham

• Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Absolutely not.

I am clinging to it ....
    Too many perhaps ....

I may have to introduce an Australian points system for entry to my ARSE (copyright N Farage Esq)

• Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Absolutely not.

I am clinging to it ....
    Too many perhaps ....

I may have to introduce an Australian points system for entry to my ARSE (copyright N Farage Esq)

Higher likelihood of entry for those with special and rare skills or experience?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

One of the loaded spring guns left by the Coalition is the European Union Act 2011. Section 6(5)(e) provides that a decision to make the euro the currency of the United Kingdom must be approved by an Act of Parliament and a referendum. It should be noted however that the requirement for a referendum could be negated by a subsequent Act of Parliament. Furthermore, some academics have argued that this provision is inconsistent with EU law and is unenforceable in any event.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Smarmeron said:

It just struck me what was odd about going to vote today.
    The lamp posts were devoid of boards, and there seemed to be no posters in the windows.

What is it I wonder thats so shameful about this election...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

He wouldn't dare do that, he would be eaten alive by all sides, including most of those who voted for him!

He would also have to repeal the law that the current government passed, that such matters should be referred directly to the electorate.
    Well, since he's against having a Euro referendum I don't suppose that last bit would worry him t hat much.

He's likely - if he has the votes - to be more radical where he can then some may assume. He has said that he wants to reshape society rather than simply tinker with it. Joining the euro would do that, would put his main opponents off guard and would, in his view, solve the European question definitively.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

One of the loaded spring guns left by the Coalition is the European Union Act 2011. Section 6(5)(e) provides that a decision to make the euro the currency of the United Kingdom must be approved by an Act of Parliament and a referendum. It should be noted however that the requirement for a referendum could be negated by a subsequent Act of Parliament. Furthermore, some academics have argued that this provision is inconsistent with EU law and is unenforceable in any event.
    Any overturning of that legislation and entry into the Euro when not a manifesto pledge would be catastrophic electorally. To do it as Grexit looms would compound the issue. Labour sub 100 seats in 2020 if he did that.
  • Options
    Blimey - bad al is a machine gun of bile on twitter this morning. he is a lovely fella.
This discussion has been closed.