Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE 2015 – the view of the spread betting trader

Comments

• not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,388
    My GE voting history

2005 - Hammersmith & Fulham
    2010 - Vauxhall
    2015 - Kingston & Surbiton

I missed out on voting in Slough in 2001 by less than 2 weeks
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,052

I detect a late swingback to Labour in Scotland which should see their seats there in double figures and overall make them a cert on the most seats market.

I'm projecting Labour on 9 in Scotland (Airdrie, Coatbridge, Dunbartonshire W, Glasgow NE, Glenrothes, Kirkcaldy, Motherwell, Renfrewshire E, Rutherglen) but that still leaves Labour with a total seat range between 262 and 279. The only thing that'll make Labour a cert for most seats is the strong performance in the Con-Lab marginals that they're supposed to have had.
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

I detect a late swingback to Labour in Scotland which should see their seats there in double figures and overall make them a cert on the most seats market.

Really? In that case why don't you hurry off to Betfair and take their 6.0 on Labour Most Seats?
    If that is true then the LDs could benefit as well.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    The will very quickly move on from who 'wins' this election to who is best placed to fight the next one.

Both labour and tories would be well advised to quickly change their leaders if needed.
  • anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2015
    stodge said:

Mr. Sandpit, I agree Miliband's a damned fool.

I think an announcement we'd just join the eurozone is beyond even him, however.

I'm much less concerned about the prospect of Ed Miliband becoming Prime Minister than some on here and while those of a Conservative disposition might be sizing up the comfy chair of Opposition, the fact is Ed has surpassed many expectations in this campaign.

My view is that Ed M is a better politician than David Cameron - that doesn't make him a better Prime Minister - and his campaigning and that of his Party appears to have been effective.
    I agree with you about Mr Miliband. Not one to confuse with Mr Stalin.

The problem with the parliamentary Labour Party is going to be with the Unite candidates elected today. How large a faction will they be?
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    Busy and well-ordered in Hampstead this morning.

Tories in ample evidence at Hampstead Heath station. No sign of any other parties.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

40/1 on most Scottish seats with PP. It would take a lot of shy No voters to be shy SLAB, and maybe some tactical voting.
    You mean miracle don't you
  • Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397

Miliband: "I’ve just voted in Doncaster. Today isn’t a day to vote simply for Labour but to vote for yourself & for your family http://pic.twitter.com/SyhjnkOcls "

Completely out of touch. He clearly has no idea that for millions of voters up and down the country, there isn't even anyone in the family on the ballot paper.

Very good!
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    In case anyone still doesn't have a copy of this... Declaration Times
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,226

Miliband: "I’ve just voted in Doncaster. Today isn’t a day to vote simply for Labour but to vote for yourself & for your family http://pic.twitter.com/SyhjnkOcls "

Completely out of touch. He clearly has no idea that for millions of voters up and down the country, there isn't even anyone in the family on the ballot paper.

ha ha ha ha ha
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    Financier said:

With the final seats figures being put forward, it could well be that Cons+LDs = or < Lab + SNP. Is there a market on whether or not EdM will keep his promise not join with the SNP? Of course nothing has been mentioned about C & S with the SNP - is there a market for that?

Labour minority
  • woody662woody662 Posts: 255

Here's my list of constituencies voted in!
    1992 - Southampton Itchen
    1997 - Norfolk South
    2001 - Witham
    2005 - Mid Norfolk
    2010 - Mid Norfolk
    2015 - Broadland

Had I been eligible in 1987 it would have been Norwich South and had there been an election before 2013 North Norfolk. That concludes my movements through the country!

This is my first election in which I have retained my seat!

2001 - Oxford West & Abingdon
    2005 - Ealing Acton & Shepherd's Bush
    2010 - Burton
    2015 - Burton
    Where in Burton?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,715
    malcolmg said:

40/1 on most Scottish seats with PP. It would take a lot of shy No voters to be shy SLAB, and maybe some tactical voting.
    You mean miracle don't you
    You mean Zimbabwean-style vote rigging don't you?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,953

Dramatic weakening in Betfair's Labour Most Seats market up from 5.0 last night to 6.0 currently.

MORI and the Good Lord looking bad for Lab?

I was like a kid at Christmas last night and barely got a wink of sleep - after a long day today and the prospect of an all-nighter, I'll be nodding on the sofa all tomorrow.

The will very quickly move on from who 'wins' this election to who is best placed to fight the next one.

Both labour and tories would be well advised to quickly change their leaders if needed.

• anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Financier said:

OT

See that Morrisons sales are down a further 2.9% in the three months to May. Not really surprised as when I went there yesterday about 5.30 pm (to get cakes and pastries for Thursday's coffee and cakes day) , few checkout were open and people were leaving their trolleys full and walking out in disgust. Also, as usual, where brands were very low in stock, none were being restocked, but plenty of own-label left. The new CEO needs to do some surprise store visits.

In defence of Morrisons, their own brand 85% chocolate is very nice, and only £1.29 a bar.

• PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited May 2015

TOPPING said:

Go back to your constituencies and prepare for opposition ?

@patrickwintour: Former LD leader Lord Steel in any Libdem vote after election will oppose any further coalition - party should recharge batteries & values.

Yes because the whole point of a political party is to be out of power.
    For many members or supporters of the Lib Dems (or former ones), that was precisely the purpose of that party: to be a 'nice' opposition and provide an alternative to the nasty and/or incompetent parties of government. Clearly the flaw in that purpose was that were it electorally successful it would inevitably undermine first the conditions necessary to bring it about (being in opposition) and then the rationale itself. But as long as the self-destruct button could be avoided, they ran with it and left the long term to take care of itself.

What the purpose of the Lib Dems is now, goodness only knows.
    David Steel is no doubt influenced by his own experience following the 1976/78 Lib-Lab pact which led to a poor Liberal performance in the 1979 election. I feel he has become rather bitter and negative - a coalition would be better for the country than minority government, I think

• Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    woody662 said:

1997 - Norfolk South
    2001 - Witham
    2005 - Mid Norfolk
    2010 - Mid Norfolk
    2015 - Broadland

Had I been eligible in 1987 it would have been Norwich South and had there been an election before 2013 North Norfolk. That concludes my movements through the country!

2010 - Burton
    2015 - Burton
    Where in Burton?
    Countryside near Uttoxeter
    Two more votes for Dr Sarah Wollaston towards her 10k majority.

Local election only had a Tory and a Green. The collapse of the LibDems in the South Hams is remarkable. Hoping it has spread over the border to Torbay!
    My seat history: 87 Congleton & Edgbaston (voted in the latter) 92 Aldridge-Brownhills 97 Perry Barr 01 abroad 05/10/15 Perry Barr
  • I detect a late swingback to Labour in Scotland which should see their seats there in double figures and overall make them a cert on the most seats market.

Probably wind.
  • FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Alistair said:

Roger said:

Richard Nabavi

Who knows? To be honest I've not given it much thought, since if, God forbid, we do end up with Ed Miliband in No 10, there will be much more important things to worry about than David Cameron.

In any case his place in history as one of the very best post-war PMs is already assured."

Have you ever thought about doing 'stand-up'?

There is a good chance that history will judge Cameron much better than Brown or Blair, at the very least. Holding together a coalition during the economic crisis was not easy. Blair had it easy with a large majority and will be stained by the wars, whilst Brown will be stained by the economic crash and Labour's tribal infighting, much of which he caused.

Major's reputation seems to have been rehabilitated since he left power. Blair and Brown's have both plummeted. Time will tell which way Cameron's will go: Richard might well be correct.
    The economic crisis was over, it was about managing the recovery.
    No the economic crisis was not over, the Eurozone was still a mess.
    In any even the govt managed the recovery very well. In historic terms the recovery from such a deep recession - a depression - have generally been slow. Read econiomist David Smith's regular analyses in the Sunday Times. In his last column he points out nwhat he said in 2010 - he ''warned of a post-election hangover for the economy, whoever won. The eurozone crisis was intensifying, the banking system had not been fixed and deficit reduction was just getting going''.

The point about the banking system I think is well made since the banks had to rebuild their balance sheets which was always going to make borrowing and any recovery difficult.
    These are all easy things for Labour and its cheerleaders, especially the cosy well off ones like Coogan, to forget. And the public have no concept of the Basle Rules and capital reserves.
    And even I had almost forgot about all the rate fixing which went on when Balls and Brown were in charge and to be unearthed under the Tories.
    My voting record:

Weston-super-Mare
    Beaconsfield
    City of London & W
    E Worthing & Shoreham
    Ceredigion
    Which are the prettiest constituency names that don't match the local experience? I'd say Birmingham Ladywood...
    GIN1138 said:

Dramatic weakening in Betfair's Labour Most Seats market up from 5.0 last night to 6.0 currently.

If they don't get a move on they will be overtaken by the exit poll!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    My voting history:

Woking
    Woking
    Woking
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

Out first thing to get shot of Gloria, which has a small possibility of happening if all the Lib Dem garden signs in our area - 20 in 800m of main road - are not just posturing. Polling station very quiet, but I am told there were a *lot* of postal votes in Ashfield.

This is the first election where I've dabbled with some bets - expecting a small profit of a few 10s of £, so thanks for all the comments over the last couple of months.

I'm now looking for a couple of spreadsheets, one to log bets for keeping track, and one for calculations. Any recommendations would be most welcome.

Prediction 1:

Tory - 286
    Lab - 261
    LD - 25
    UKIP - 3
    SNP - 50
    PC - 4
    NI - 18
    Gallowanker - 1
    Green - 1
    Squeaker - 1

Prediction 2:

I predict that my prediction will be way off.

Looking forward to home truths about Nippy Nicky in the HoC when she tries to manipulate it from outside.
    I've lost track = aren't we waiting for the Final Final ICM too?

GIN1138 said:

• BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Plato said:

Which are the prettiest constituency names that don't match the local experience? I'd say Birmingham Ladywood...

Just voted there, in a jewellery museum.

• MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

@patrickwintour: Former LD leader Lord Steel in any Libdem vote after election will oppose any further coalition - party should recharge batteries & values.

For many members or supporters of the Lib Dems (or former ones), that was precisely the purpose of that party: to be a 'nice' opposition and provide an alternative to the nasty and/or incompetent parties of government. Clearly the flaw in that purpose was that were it electorally successful it would inevitably undermine first the conditions necessary to bring it about (being in opposition) and then the rationale itself. But as long as the self-destruct button could be avoided, they ran with it and left the long term to take care of itself.

David Steel is no doubt influenced by his own experience following the 1976/78 Lib-Lab pact which led to a poor Liberal performance in the 1979 election. I feel he has become rather bitter and negative - a coalition would be better for the country than minority government, I think

We Lib Dems put country before party in 2010 . If as is likely we lose a number of seats because of it , then we will put party before country post today and there will be no Lib Dem coalition with either Labour or Conservatives
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited May 2015
    Ok, thoughts in a Grand coalition
    Let's say we end up at 270a piece and no coalition can be agreed or QS guaranteed to pass.
    Let's make it 271-270 then, either way.
    The smaller party might agree if the leader of the larger party resigns and so,some else becomes PM with the leader of the smaller party getting DPM/FS and pick of CoE, larger party getting HS/JS and PM, rest of posts distributed day 7:6 in favour of larger party on a pick portfolio basis, junior ministers split evenly?

Edit - or the unthinkable.... Agree a technocrat PM?!
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I think PBers have got this covered...

@laurenlaverne: Hahaha (via @NadiaShireen) http://t.co/EMVQDGU52H
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    So much for that Lord Ashcroft poll at 6am
  • midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

The last thing the Tories need is for either party to change their leader.
  • madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    Well if we have a Labour Government, the outlook for the increased revenues they need is not great according to this...

"Raising taxes to plug Britain’s deficit will not work, two founder members of the Bank of England’s panel that sets interest rates have warned."
    http://tinyurl.com/knhnrn9
    Plato said:

Try Amber Valley.....
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    Plato said:

In case anyone still doesn't have a copy of this... Declaration Times

Thanks Plato.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Nice to see a blue teller in place for once in sunny Cambridge.

• RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    edited May 2015
    tlg86 said:

My voting history:

Woking
    Woking
    Woking

I've got the wonderful choice of Jonathan Lord, who I don't like, or the lib dem who doesn't even seem to live in Woking. Aren't we lucky?
  • heseltineheseltine Posts: 50

PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

We Lib Dems put country before party in 2010 . If as is likely we lose a number of seats because of it , then we will put party before country post today and there will be no Lib Dem coalition with either Labour or Conservatives
    No you won't...
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited May 2015
    Plato said:

I had an experience with a Birmingham LadyGarden many moons ago....
  • woody662 said:

1997 - Norfolk South
    2001 - Witham
    2005 - Mid Norfolk
    2010 - Mid Norfolk
    2015 - Broadland

2010 - Burton
    2015 - Burton
    Where in Burton?
    I know it well .... JCB country.

Two more votes for Dr Sarah Wollaston towards her 10k majority.

Local election only had a Tory and a Green. The collapse of the LibDems in the South Hams is remarkable. Hoping it has spread over the border to Torbay!

Yes - but my sentiment has it that Labour will not do as badly in Scotland as is speculated. They deserve to be wiped out but will they? That's why if people do flirt with other parties in England than Miliband will be laughing.
    Is that a CJD jokette? I know it was popular at the time to call CJD JCB in France when they were pretending they didn't have it too!

woody662 said:

1997 - Norfolk South
    2001 - Witham
    2005 - Mid Norfolk
    2010 - Mid Norfolk
    2015 - Broadland

2010 - Burton
    2015 - Burton
    Where in Burton?
  • asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Plato said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm pretty sure there's no more polls
  • 1992 - Chingford & Woodford Green
    1997 - Romford
    2001 - Cities of London & Westminster
    2005 - Holborn & St Pancreas
    2010 - SW Herts
    2015 - Greenwich & Woolwich
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,565

Labour Most Seats now 6.2 and rising ...... looks like that particular contest is as good as over.

Looks like the betting markets think so. But then we've seen that sort of thing before. I'd have thought there was a good deal of value in the Labour price.

If we assume the polls are right (which I wouldn't necessarily but let's play the scenario for the moment), and there's a tiny Con lead then Labour should still have a lead in seats even allowing for Scotland. The UKPR advanced calculator reckons on it being about 290-276 to Labour based on current polling (with 17 Lib Dems and 67 others). That is tight but the uncertainties don't make Lab most seats a 5/1 shot to my mind.

Similarly, look at the 2005 figures for comparison. Labour finished ahead by 3%, of which almost half that lead came from Scotland, but won 355 seats. Knock off forty seats for Scotland and apply another 1% Lab-Con swing and you'd still be short of Con most seats.

The only possible conclusions are that the polls are wrong, or that there's a lot of value in the market. Indeed, even if the polls are wrong but only slightly so, there'd still be value. Furthermore, they'd have to be wrong in England (where it'd help the Tories) but not in Scotland (where it'd help Labour). Silly price.
    Daniel said:

Probably still wondering whether to publish a poll that is Tory 38, Labour 29..... Massive outlier - or the only one to pick up the late surge?
  • Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154
    I'm lucky enough to have 12 Malts in my medicine cabinet:

Which one(s) should I be drinking through the night?

Bunnahabhain
    Highland Park
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Inverey
    Speyside
    Royal Lochnagar
    Glenfiddich
    Oban
    The Balvenie
    Ardmore
    Glenlivet
    Glenmorangie

A far bigger challenge than choosing my vote.
  • Didn't opinion polling used to be banned up to 24 hours before the polls opened, or is that something I imagined?
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

"We LibDems put country before party in 2010" Is this the same party whose modus operandi at local level is to invent a problem which will be caused by its opposition and then claim to fight to stop the problem?

GIN1138 said:

In 2010, MORI was released around 10:30am I think.

• Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,128

Plato said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm pretty sure there's no more polls
    IPSOS MORI and Ashcroft.
    Finger on the pulse...

@LadPolitics: Big queue at my polling station today. But that is a very small sample, so cannot help me decide on likely turnout. #breakingnews.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

Have you told Nick Clegg this?

edited May 2015

Daniel said:

Probably still wondering whether to publish a poll that is Tory 38, Labour 29..... Massive outlier - or the only one to pick up the late surge?
    Where have those numbers come from? :open_mouth:

Daniel said:

Might not be allowed to publish it. (what are the electoral rules about publishing polls on voting day? I know its banned in France)
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,138
    I hate those blue spin ads at the side - everytime I slide onto them it seems to knock me off the page. Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!!
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    GIN1138 said:

Daniel said:

Is this true?
  • DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    GIN1138 said:

Daniel said:

Matt's imagination.
  • macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    stodge said:

I think an announcement we'd just join the eurozone is beyond even him, however.

I'm much less concerned about the prospect of Ed Miliband becoming Prime Minister than some on here and while those of a Conservative disposition might be sizing up the comfy chair of Opposition, the fact is Ed has surpassed many expectations in this campaign.

If you believed some of the guff posted on here, the Labour campaign has been a web of gaffes, blunders and ill-timed gimmicks and if that had had the impact some on here claim, Labour would be at 25% or less now.

My view is that Ed M is a better politician than David Cameron - that doesn't make him a better Prime Minister - and his campaigning and that of his Party appears to have been effective. As I said last night, I think the Conservatives hoped to stun the Labour heart and brain by some well-timed policy initiatives and direct assaults on Labour's past record.

However, instead of surgical strikes to the heart and brain, the Conservatives have hacked at limbs and often missed those. The Conservative campaign bet the farm on the reputation of a single individual who they believed is liked more than he really is and who wanted the job more than he really does.

I am more concerned about Miliband becoming Prime Minister, not just because of him, I don't believe there is a huge amount of quality behind him, which is a concern and add to that the vested interests of some very dubious Union Leaders and the SNP and that is a package that does provide me with concern.

We are all in the minority on here following the politics closely, in my view Miliband is a polished and articulate performer in set piece debates, or talking to an audience of supporters, I never thought he would trip up in a highly managed campaign. In those circumstances it was Cameron who is less comfortable and consistent. Under pressure in the Commons hothouse, no doubt for me Cameron is much superior, perhaps that's why so many close political followers under estimated Miliband, from all sides.

I am not against Labour per se, I have voted for them before I could possibly get behind Ed Balls who I rate, Umunna looks promising, Cooper is solid enough beyond that they look weak. Miliband has had over 4 years but has preferred opposition for opposition's sake and opportunism to putting a solid economic plan to put before the electorate. The Coalition overall in my opinion have done a decent job and I don't believe Miliband has done enough to deserve his chance. My hope is he get's to no more than 260 seats and Labour move forward with a better leader, not Burnham though he would be worse.

If Miliband does form a government the inevitable Balls v MaCluskey, Prentice and pals will be a fight well worth keeping a close eye on, could be very entertaining.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Plato said:

Is that a CJD jokette? I know it was popular at the time to call CJD JCB in France when they were pretending they didn't have it too!

No. JCB (big yellow diggers) are in Uttoxter, not far from my sister-in-law's place.

Well, my democratic duty is done and my votes are cast. I have plenty of time to make popcorn for later... :)

• MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    perdix said:

PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

"We LibDems put country before party in 2010" Is this the same party whose modus operandi at local level is to invent a problem which will be caused by its opposition and then claim to fight to stop the problem?

No that is what the Conservatives do here in Worthing
    GIN1138 said:

Daniel said:

Plucked out of MY arse.....
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    I posted last night about my betting late on Lib Dems in Maidstone ...

this was in the speccie article

"the gossip from the ground is that Helen Grant is toast in Maidstone and The Weald."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/05/nervous-tory-candidates-say-race-too-tight-to-call/

I got 7/2 with Hills. Still available.
  • FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

People realised you opposed the Iraq war for cynical electioneering reasons when you subsequently supported Libya and Syria. Getting what you deserve today.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,305
    It seems some of our more excitable Scottish friends are going to be out to make a nuisance of themselves again.
    Scottish police have issued nationwide warnings amid fears of 'threatening behaviour' from firebrand SNP supporters.

According to the Guardian police and election officials have still sent out warnings to all of Scotland's 32 councils urging them to be aware to problems during voting and when the papers are transported.

Nationalists who believe that last year's referendum was rigged in favour of the 'No' campaign have urged people to photograph their votes.

The campaign, called Operation Scallop, has been widely shared across Facebook and Twitter because some SNP members fear their votes will be torn up, changed or not counted.

Organisers also say that supporters should vote in the last hour - between 9pm and 10pm - and then 'hang about outside' and 'take photos of anything suspicious' as the papers are loaded into vans.

They should then use their own transport to trail ballot boxes when they leave polling stations and follow them to the count and watch them being unloaded, it says.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3071622/Fears-voting-Scotland-disrupted-intimidating-SNP-supporters-plan-arrive-late-follow-counting-staff-police-issue-warnings-polling-stations.html

• RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    We have local and parish council elections today as well as the general. I had 2 proxy votes. So I've just been out and have voted Labour. 27 times...

GIN1138 said:

Daniel said:

Plucked out of MY arse.....
    #gamechanger

• ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    edited May 2015
    MarqueeMark asked: Tory 41%, Labour 26% anybody?

Quite possibly.

I'm keeping the faith, especially after reading that article on Shy Tories. A long and technical piece which details (sic) a solid, evidence-based argument to the effect that the ENTIRE polling system is broken so that there is a MASSIVE gap between them (all!) and l'actualité even if hardly anyone recognises it... YET.

It's a stunner if it turns out to be even half-true, but than again, look how Kellner has been hedging his bets. He may be a lefty but he is a businessman with an income stream to protect

Cheer up, SeanT.

Keep your trousers on, Mr Hodges.

I'm lucky enough to have 12 Malts in my medicine cabinet:

Which one(s) should I be drinking through the night?

Bunnahabhain
    Highland Park
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Inverey
    Speyside
    Royal Lochnagar
    Glenfiddich
    Oban
    The Balvenie
    Ardmore
    Glenlivet
    Glenmorangie

A far bigger challenge than choosing my vote.

Personally I would go for the Glenmorangie - bound to send me to sleep quicker than watching the TV.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,305
    edited May 2015
    Plato said:

woody662 said:

1997 - Norfolk South
    2001 - Witham
    2005 - Mid Norfolk
    2010 - Mid Norfolk
    2015 - Broadland

2010 - Burton
    2015 - Burton
    Where in Burton?
    Nope, it's where Mr Bamford has a massive factory that makes farm equipment. ;)
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Scott_P said:

Finger on the pulse...

@LadPolitics: Big queue at my polling station today. But that is a very small sample, so cannot help me decide on likely turnout. #breakingnews.

Mine looked busier than normal and from looking at the register, when my name was crossed off, a lot of other names were crossed off too. I was not able to linger because someone else was waiting for my booth when I was done.

Will it be a bigger turnout than expected?
    Can someone point me in the direction of JackW's final ARSE ? Can search by time if anyone recalls..
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    where is the ICM updated poll that was being muted last night and the IPSOS MORI and Lord Ashcrofts 6am Poll??
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Steady but not busy at my polling station. For a 3 vote ward only the LDs have a full slate of candidates.

My voting history:

1983 Romsey and Waterside SDP
    1987 Wimbledon SDP/Lib Alliance
    1992 Wolverhampton SW Labour
    1997 Leicester South Labour
    2001 Leicester South Labour
    2005 Rutland and Melton LD
    2010 Rutland and Melton Con
    2015 Rutland and Melton LD
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    felix said:

I hate those blue spin ads at the side - everytime I slide onto them it seems to knock me off the page. Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!!

Ditto - Firefox also has a problem with SPIN 'plug-ins' - not sure wtf they are, but they give my poor old laptop the coli-wobbles.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Sandpit said:

Plato said:

woody662 said:

1997 - Norfolk South
    2001 - Witham
    2005 - Mid Norfolk
    2010 - Mid Norfolk
    2015 - Broadland

2010 - Burton
    2015 - Burton
    Where in Burton?
    Nope, it's where Mr Bamford has a massive factory that makes farm equipment. ;)
    It makes Conservative donations too :)
    Worth repeating this masterpiece from Private Eye

https://twitter.com/PlatoSays/status/593821367973326848/photo/1
    kjohnw said:

where is the ICM updated poll that was being muted last night and the IPSOS MORI and Lord Ashcrofts 6am Poll??

Tom told me it will be a few hours until its out (ICM poll); still going through the data.
    edited May 2015
    TGOHF said:

Can someone point me in the direction of JackW's final ARSE ? Can search by time if anyone recalls..

Tories lots. Labour not enough (to govern). LibDems too many. SNP not enough.....
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693

Labour Most Seats now 6.2 and rising ...... looks like that particular contest is as good as over.

Looks like the betting markets think so. But then we've seen that sort of thing before. I'd have thought there was a good deal of value in the Labour price.

If we assume the polls are right (which I wouldn't necessarily but let's play the scenario for the moment), and there's a tiny Con lead then Labour should still have a lead in seats even allowing for Scotland. The UKPR advanced calculator reckons on it being about 290-276 to Labour based on current polling (with 17 Lib Dems and 67 others). That is tight but the uncertainties don't make Lab most seats a 5/1 shot to my mind.

Similarly, look at the 2005 figures for comparison. Labour finished ahead by 3%, of which almost half that lead came from Scotland, but won 355 seats. Knock off forty seats for Scotland and apply another 1% Lab-Con swing and you'd still be short of Con most seats.

The only possible conclusions are that the polls are wrong, or that there's a lot of value in the market. Indeed, even if the polls are wrong but only slightly so, there'd still be value. Furthermore, they'd have to be wrong in England (where it'd help the Tories) but not in Scotland (where it'd help Labour). Silly price.
    It's also discounting the possibility the polls are wrong, but wrong in labours favour.

Not likely (and rather unintuitive) - but it's probably only a little less likely than the reverse.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Voted UKIP in Richmond Park which is heavily favoured to keep Zac Goldsmith (Tory) in power.

Nevertheless, I can impart that voting even this early is way above average for my local polling station in Barnes. I spoke to the tellers and the Tory and L/Dem reps standing outside and counting, and all confirm a very steady but fast stream of voters although no queuing as yet.
  • stodge said:

My view is that Ed M is a better politician than David Cameron - that doesn't make him a better Prime Minister - and his campaigning and that of his Party appears to have been effective.
    The problem with the parliamentary Labour Party is going to be with the Unite candidates elected today. How large a faction will they be?
    A good question for Andrea our Labour expert.
    Shows how little activity down here is local election related - I didn't know there were any in Eastbourne today. I just looked them up and was Really??!

When I lived in Wealden - it was wall to wall placards in Polegate for the local candidates - that one tried to murder another is of course more gaiety for the nation.

sussexexpress.co.uk/news/county-news/breaking-news-former-polegate-councillor-sentenced-to-20-years-in-prison-for-attempted-murder-of-his-wife-1-6702521

Plato said:

No. JCB (big yellow diggers) are in Uttoxter, not far from my sister-in-law's place.

Well, my democratic duty is done and my votes are cast. I have plenty of time to make popcorn for later... :)

Daniel said:

kjohnw said:

Tom told me it will be a few hours until its out (ICM poll); still going through the data.
    Scratching their heads, going "that CAN'T be right, can it?"

TOPPING said:

Correct. There is none.
    Others elsewhere suggest changing leaders if there is a hung parliament. I cannot think of anything more stupid. Changing leaders is fraught with danger for any political party. BTW - in 1983 Mrs T had a nice increased majority - but lost votes and vote share (so much for the Falklands Factor). In 2001 Blair lost nearly 3 million votes and some seats. Did either party sack their leader?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    Former LD leader Lord Steel in any Libdem vote after election will oppose any further coalition - party should recharge batteries & values.

Lib Dems starting to get the knives out on Clegg.
    @MPSTowerHam: Tower Hamlets police are out today making sure #Election2015 runs smoothly. Officers are posted to each polling station #TowerHamlets
  • MikeK said:

Voted UKIP in Richmond Park which is heavily favoured to keep Zac Goldsmith (Tory) in power.

Nevertheless, I can impart that voting even this early is way above average for my local polling station in Barnes. I spoke to the tellers and the Tory and L/Dem reps standing outside and counting, and all confirm a very steady but fast stream of voters although no queuing as yet.

Interesting that the LDs are wasting resources there rather than shoring up Twickenham or Kingston.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,277
    Back from sparrow's fart telling (7.00am -9.00am) in deepest Hersham....turnout is very brisk indeed.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,503
    Re today's polls

ICM - Fieldwork has finished, they are just putting the final touches on it

Ipsos Mori - Fieldwork finished last night around 9pm - Should be out this morning before 12pm

Lord Ashcroft - I'm wilding speculating here, but it's a real effort to get the 3,000 strong sample size he wanted, so it may be he's having to continue to the fieldwork this morning, hence the delay.
    Plato said:

Shows how little activity down here is local election related - I didn't know there were any in Eastbourne today. I just looked them up and was Really??!

When I lived in Wealden - it was wall to wall placards in Polegate for the local candidates - that one tried to murder another is of course more gaiety for the nation.

sussexexpress.co.uk/news/county-news/breaking-news-former-polegate-councillor-sentenced-to-20-years-in-prison-for-attempted-murder-of-his-wife-1-6702521

Plato said:

But let's face it - that hat? She had it coming.....
  • Chris123Chris123 Posts: 174
    edited May 2015
    FalseFlag said:

PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

People realised you opposed the Iraq war for cynical electioneering reasons when you subsequently supported Libya and Syria. Getting what you deserve today.
    Absolutely. And for peddling the myth that the markets would have collapsed if they had not made that decision. Now cloaking their self-serving opportunism "in the national interest."
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Scott_P said:

Finger on the pulse...

Mine looked busier than normal and from looking at the register, when my name was crossed off, a lot of other names were crossed off too. I was not able to linger because someone else was waiting for my booth when I was done.

Will it be a bigger turnout than expected?
    Don't they have the complete electoral roll at polling stations with the postal ballot names crossed off the list. This will make it appear that there is a lot of activity whereas the postal ballots account for a lot of it early on.
    The good thing about tonight is that my betfair pages of matched bets should simplify from 25 to about 1.

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,088
    Good luck to all PBers standing for election, GOTV'ing, or "telling" :)
    Just getting my head round the swings required. I think 2% would deprive the Tories of the possibility of a workable coalition, 3% would make Labour the largest party and able to form a govt with SNP support and 4% would be enough for a Lab-LD arrangement. Is that about right?

Fine margins anyway and it might not be able to jump to any conclusions from the Sunderland results...
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    macisback said:

the vested interests of some very dubious Union Leaders

What vested interests are those? Better pay and conditions for working people and reversing attacks on workers' rights?
This discussion has been closed.