Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting chart that tells you last night’s debate was a disaster for Biden – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,843
edited June 28 in General
imageThe betting chart that tells you last night’s debate was a disaster for Biden – politicalbetting.com

The chart above shows the movement on Betfair’s US Presidential winner market over the last 24 hours.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,735
    edited June 28
    First.

Listening to parts of the debate, I couldn't find a single thing said by Mr Trump that was actually true.

Except perhaps "My name is Donald Trump".

BBC coverage not making the point at all, beyond a polite "Trump made unsubstantiated statements."

Presentation, presentation, presentation.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    MattW said:

First.

Like the Trumpdozer
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,806
    I've been saying for a long time that the smart play for those who think the Democrats will win the election is to lay Trump.
    It covers all eventualities except one.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,802

Neat summary of all the constituency prediction polls:

https://inglesp.github.io/apogee/

That is absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much for spotting it and linking. Well worth looking at folks.

They have also put an aggregated Tactical Voting recommendation to it: https://inglesp.github.io/apogee/tactical-voting/
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,990
    edited June 28
    A thought.

If you are expecting Biden to have to withdraw, then you are expecting him to withdraw on the grounds that he is unable, due to age/infirmity, to continue.

If you think that’s likely, it is hard to see beyond Kamala Harris becoming the next President, whether she is the nominee or not.

Admitting that means admitting you cannot do the job now either.
  • Options
    MartinVegasMartinVegas Posts: 43
    FPT

Has anyone considered, whilst piling on about how the Democrats shouldn't have nominated Biden, that this debate was actually their exit strategy?

Like, I'm not saying they wanted this to happen. I'm sure they wanted to wake up today and everyone be singing the praises of Comeback Joe. But they chose to have this debate before the convention. And as someone who's always been resentful of Biden running again (he has a 34% chance of dying before the end of the next term, according to SSA stats) I was really glad they did this. Biden needed to prove he's still up to the job, and this was the quickest, easiest way of proving either way or another.

Now, with little effort, they can get him to step aside and move on and destroy Trump.

That's assuming they can get him to step aside.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,481

A thought.

If you are expecting Biden to have to withdraw, then you are expecting him to withdraw on the grounds that he is unable, due to age/infirmity, to continue.

If you think that’s likely, it is hard to see beyond Kamala Harris becoming the next President, whether she is the nominee or not.

Daft thing to say. Dementia is a progressive condition.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,213
    Heathener said:

That is absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much for spotting it and linking. Well worth looking at folks.

They have also put an aggregated Tactical Voting recommendation to it: https://inglesp.github.io/apogee/tactical-voting/
    I think those are all constituency predictions based on MRP and national polls rather than constituency polls.

Nonetheless useful.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,816
    There is a problem brewing with postal votes (possibly only in Scotland). Lots of anecdotal evidence of them not arriving in time before people go on holiday.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,990
    Chris said:

A thought.

How is it daft?

I am fully aware it’s a progressive condition, but “I am a bit senile but I can still hang on to the nuclear codes til January next year” isn’t a particularly convincing line is it?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,116
    Heathener said:

Quite some ranges in the predictions:

Lab: 516-407
    Con: 155-53
    LibD: 71-38
    SNP: 37-9
    Grn: 4-0
    PC: 4-2
  • Options

A thought.

Standing down now also gives Kamala a platform as POTUS rather than just as candidate, it could be a useful boost to her candidacy.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,814

FPT

Has anyone considered, whilst piling on about how the Democrats shouldn't have nominated Biden, that this debate was actually their exit strategy?

Like, I'm not saying they wanted this to happen. I'm sure they wanted to wake up today and everyone be singing the praises of Comeback Joe. But they chose to have this debate before the convention. And as someone who's always been resentful of Biden running again (he has a 34% chance of dying before the end of the next term, according to SSA stats) I was really glad they did this. Biden needed to prove he's still up to the job, and this was the quickest, easiest way of proving either way or another.

Now, with little effort, they can get him to step aside and move on and destroy Trump.

The ‘little effort’ is the thing. I know from bitter experience that a stubborn, strong minded(sic) person with dementia is still a stubborn, strong minded person.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,243

A thought.

I also think if he stands down as president then it implies Kamala is also the nominee, you can't really say "I'm leaving you in the capable hands of Kamala here, but obviously I don't mean for her to be president from January lmao"
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,116
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

I think those are all constituency predictions based on MRP and national polls rather than constituency polls.

Nonetheless useful.
    Yes - my précis was inaccurate
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,128
    edited June 28
    I hope the DNC get the message - Biden is done. It doesn't matter how awful Trump is and how many clips you have of Trump drooling on about sharks.

Your guy is done.

What you need is (God help me) a Sunak-style debater combined with a Clinton-style operator.

Someone who will skewer Trump's madness but isn't also seen as mad.

Boris! is available but unlikely. Michelle Obama Doesn't Want The Job and Isn't A Politician. Harris, Whitmer, Newsome - meh

If they were brave they would go with Buttigeg who will utterly skewer Trump and all he stands for. A chunk of America won't vote for him because of everything he is. Same was true of Obama, and yet Obama won. Twice.

Who else is there? Other than Boris of course.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,714
    Yes. You don't need to watch any of the debate (I haven't), or read any of the commentary (only sheet checking here first), to know that Biden had a shocker.

Will the Democrats manage to replace Biden? Is Newsom the best they can do? They lost in 2016 with a New York Democrat, do they want to lose in 2024 with a Californian?
  • Options
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,431

A thought.

I also think if he stands down as president then it implies Kamala is also the nominee, you can't really say "I'm leaving you in the capable hands of Kamala here, but obviously I don't mean for her to be president from January lmao"
    The tragedy is that Harris may well be very capable, but he now hasn't left her much time to prove this.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 450
    On Leon’s mockery of people who point out that Biden has a stammer I feel I should point out that I have a stammer which is worsened by stress and (unusually) alcohol. At my worst I would be less coherent than Biden was last night. The worst thing is that because you desperately try to substitute any word you can actually get out it makes you sound stupid. I’m youngish so people don’t attribute it to senility but I could see how they could if I were older.

As it happens I also think that Biden has other related issues too but that doesn’t mean his stammer is still not a problem.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,352

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Nonetheless useful.
    Yes - my précis was inaccurate
    Brilliant resource though - thank you Carlotta!
  • Options
    MartinVegasMartinVegas Posts: 43

FPT

The ‘little effort’ is the thing. I know from bitter experience that a stubborn, strong minded(sic) person with dementia is still a stubborn, strong minded person.
    Yep you're right and I don't think I expressed what I meant. I'm hypothesizing that Obama and a few other people have already talked to Biden and this debate was what they gave him as a chance to prove he could still do it. It's entirely possible that Biden knew what the stakes were last night. So what I'm saying is that the deal may already have been done. I hope so!

But if I'm wrong, you are very, very right and we are totally screwed.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,245
    edited June 28
    Eabhal said:

There is a problem brewing with postal votes (possibly only in Scotland). Lots of anecdotal evidence of them not arriving in time before people go on holiday.

My son's postal vote in the Vale of Glamorgan hasn't arrived. He was told they were being posted on Monday, still nothing yesterday.

Of course having applied and not received a postal ballot, the voter simply can't rock up to the polling station and vote.

More voter suppressing Machiavellian genius from Rishi?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,243
    kamski said:

A thought.

The tragedy is that Harris may well be very capable, but he now hasn't left her much time to prove this.
    True, OTOH she could do 3 months of pure campaigning mode. Anywhere she wants to send a message she can make an announcement without being too constrained by previous positions. It's not a terrible setup, she'd have a lot of freedom to define herself in whatever way she needed to be defined to reach swing voters.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,181
    Thoughts and prayers for Moon Rabbit who said the Labour betting scandal would turn the polls.

If they can monetise it and steal it, they will do

The week’s revelations about betting on the election date dominated recent recollections among our participants, all of whom voted Tory in 2019:

“It’s a metaphor for the whole Conservative period in government. If they can monetise it and steal it, they will do, and they did. And this time they got caught;” “They look after each other, give money to their mates, give tips to their mates;”

“Serious lack of judgment. They weren’t even intelligent enough to get someone else to do it for them.”

Most did not think Rishi Sunak was implicated in this particular scandal (“I’d like to think he’s not, but you just don’t know. You can’t trust them;”), but this was beside the point: “They should be there doing a job and we should trust what they’re doing.

But it seems like on every occasion, they’re breaking the law and getting away with it;” “He gave his wife £100,000 in furlough and she didn’t pay taxes and he went along with that;” “It’s like the parties during covid when we were told not to do something, and the politicians didn’t take a blind bit of notice and did things we couldn’t do. It seems to be an ongoing thing from that;”

“You’ve had someone in the Labour party gambling now as well and Starmer got rid of him straight away. So he responded very much quicker than Rishi did.”

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2024/06/its-a-metaphor-for-the-whole-conservative-government-my-focus-groups-in-newquay-plymouth-and-ne-somerset/
  • Options

I hope the DNC get the message - Biden is done. It doesn't matter how awful Trump is and how many clips you have of Trump drooling on about sharks.

Your guy is done.

What you need is (God help me) a Sunak-style debater combined with a Clinton-style operator.

Someone who will skewer Trump's madness but isn't also seen as mad.

Boris! is available but unlikely. Michelle Obama Doesn't Want The Job and Isn't A Politician. Harris, Whitmer, Newsome - meh

If they were brave they would go with Buttigeg who will utterly skewer Trump and all he stands for. A chunk of America won't vote for him because of everything he is. Same was true of Obama, and yet Obama won. Twice.

Who else is there? Other than Boris of course.

Didn't Johnson relinquish his US citizenship over tax matters?

So not that bumbling fat oaf for POTUS and on a technicality. Besides which he's shilling for Trump.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,282

Eabhal said:

My son's postal vote in the Vale of Glamorgan hasn't arrived. He was told they were being posted on Monday, still nothing yesterday.

Of course having applied and not received a postal ballot, the voter simply can't rock up to the polling station and vote.

Almost all Scots schools skail today (IIRC not Aberdeenshire/Aberdeen for some reason, which may have implications for the PB Candidate in ANME).

And that's assuming the parents have put in a postal vote application.

Disproportionately affects the generation with school age children, disproportionately does not affect the oldies who go on hols at cheaper times. A feature not a bug for Mr Sunak.
  • Options

Heathener said:

That's exactly how it feels right now though.
  • Options
    Taz said:
    :smiley:

"But the climate influencer might want to have a look at her own carbon footprint. She has already flown twice to the Caribbean this year, a 9,000-mile round trip. First in January to see relatives in Jamaica, where she was born before moving to the UK as a toddler, and then in March to join 120 activists for a “climate justice camp” on the exotic island of Saint Martin.

This is despite declaring in 2019 she would go “flight-free”.

Addressing the “Elephant in the Room” on Instagram following her recent trips abroad, Loach told her followers she felt she didn’t have “to justify my whole life to everyone”, claiming criticism of her apparent U-Turn was simply a “distraction tactic” used by major corporations."
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Post has been increasingly erratic for the last few years.

Postal votes are not going to be practical soon. Simply too unreliable soon.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,356
    It seems the Democrats have a choice. Go ahead with an elderly man in the first stages of dementia and all that entails, meaning that he has to be protected from the press and the outside world. Or change now.

George the third managed for a while but times have changed. Trump may well be barmy,and anyone with half a brain should be able to beat him. Can I suggest an attractive female without the baggage of Hilary Clinton?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,062

Eabhal said:

Hi MP, I'm in waist deep on a small Tory majority. I have been reading your stuff on here and am a big fan. When it comes in you and I will be in fucking gravy.

My wife's arrived on Tuesday and she was going to post it the same day. I advised she used pen, not pencil, and I drove it round to the council offices myself. But with the sort of thing you point out in Vale of Glamorgan it appears that the Conservatives will win whatever happens.
  • Options
    I was astonished how fast things escalated yesterday after I called for biblical rain after Glastonbury attendees held my train up and I missed my onward bus.

Within an hour someone had called on a tactical nuclear device to be let off thede (which seemed to be going a little bit far) and @rcs1000 rushed to reassure anxious readers that the PB servers are not in the area.

Anyway, the festival organisers have convened and decided in the true spirit of self regulation to ban the England football from being shown on the big screens and they will have to listen to some ghastly band wailing while they poison the local eels with their drug riddled effluent instead.

https://x.com/dailystar/status/1806280970774929534?t=DrxYUCv9XXeQC1hYKszBpw&s=09.

Thoughts and prayers with the eels of Glastonbury.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,807
    I don’t often get fremdschamen listening to the news but this morning whenever they play Biden’s ramblings I have to cover my ears or turn the volume to mute as it’s so sad and embarrassing.

It should never have been allowed to get to a point where the clip of Trump saying “I didn’t understand what he was saying at the end there, and I don’t think he did either” sounded like the comment of a cool, sensible customer.

And the whole “I got my handicap as vice president” golf bollocks was the pits.

Very sad for Biden, sad for the US and the world.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Scottish voters miss out on general election as postal ballots arrive late
    Anger as thousands leave for their holidays before forms turn up after ‘delivery difficulties’

About 25 per cent of the Scottish electorate now vote through the post but voters in several areas, including Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, Perthshire, Fife and the Western Isles, said they were still without their papers.

The Electoral Management Board for Scotland (EMB) has admitted there have been “many difficulties experienced with the delivery of postal votes” across the country.

The EMB, made up of returning officers and electoral registration officers, said there was now a need for a major review of capacity and systems.

Royal Mail said it had investigated concerns over the delivery of postal votes in some areas but had found no issues.

Blair McDougall, a Labour candidate, said: “In a seat in East Renfrewshire which is highly marginal and projections suggest could be won by a handful of votes, it is deeply frustrating to find yourself talking to people who say they will vote for you but cannot because they haven’t received their postal vote. We need the postal service to step up to the plate because this is not people’s fault.”

Some voters said that although they had applied for a postal vote before the cut-off date of June 19, the ballot papers had not arrived before they went on holiday.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/scottish-voters-postal-votes-general-election-3f395n6r3
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,362

Thoughts and prayers for Moon Rabbit who said the Labour betting scandal would turn the polls.

If they can monetise it and steal it, they will do

The week’s revelations about betting on the election date dominated recent recollections among our participants, all of whom voted Tory in 2019:

“It’s a metaphor for the whole Conservative period in government. If they can monetise it and steal it, they will do, and they did. And this time they got caught;” “They look after each other, give money to their mates, give tips to their mates;”

“Serious lack of judgment. They weren’t even intelligent enough to get someone else to do it for them.”

Most did not think Rishi Sunak was implicated in this particular scandal (“I’d like to think he’s not, but you just don’t know. You can’t trust them;”), but this was beside the point: “They should be there doing a job and we should trust what they’re doing.

But it seems like on every occasion, they’re breaking the law and getting away with it;” “He gave his wife £100,000 in furlough and she didn’t pay taxes and he went along with that;” “It’s like the parties during covid when we were told not to do something, and the politicians didn’t take a blind bit of notice and did things we couldn’t do. It seems to be an ongoing thing from that;”

“You’ve had someone in the Labour party gambling now as well and Starmer got rid of him straight away. So he responded very much quicker than Rishi did.”

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2024/06/its-a-metaphor-for-the-whole-conservative-government-my-focus-groups-in-newquay-plymouth-and-ne-somerset/

Thoughts and prayers for anyone still voting for this shower of shite.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

It seems the Democrats have a choice. Go ahead with an elderly man in the first stages of dementia and all that entails, meaning that he has to be protected from the press and the outside world. Or change now.

George the third managed for a while but times have changed. Trump may well be barmy,and anyone with half a brain should be able to beat him. Can I suggest an attractive female without the baggage of Hilary Clinton?

Not Kamala Harris then.

Has Liz Trust got a US passport?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,380
    boulay said:

I don’t often get fremdschamen listening to the news but this morning whenever they play Biden’s ramblings I have to cover my ears or turn the volume to mute as it’s so sad and embarrassing.

It should never have been allowed to get to a point where the clip of Trump saying “I didn’t understand what he was saying at the end there, and I don’t think he did either” sounded like the comment of a cool, sensible customer.

It was even worse live.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Anger as thousands leave for their holidays before forms turn up after ‘delivery difficulties’

About 25 per cent of the Scottish electorate now vote through the post but voters in several areas, including Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, Perthshire, Fife and the Western Isles, said they were still without their papers.

The Electoral Management Board for Scotland (EMB) has admitted there have been “many difficulties experienced with the delivery of postal votes” across the country.

The EMB, made up of returning officers and electoral registration officers, said there was now a need for a major review of capacity and systems.

Royal Mail said it had investigated concerns over the delivery of postal votes in some areas but had found no issues.

Blair McDougall, a Labour candidate, said: “In a seat in East Renfrewshire which is highly marginal and projections suggest could be won by a handful of votes, it is deeply frustrating to find yourself talking to people who say they will vote for you but cannot because they haven’t received their postal vote. We need the postal service to step up to the plate because this is not people’s fault.”

Some voters said that although they had applied for a postal vote before the cut-off date of June 19, the ballot papers had not arrived before they went on holiday.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/scottish-voters-postal-votes-general-election-3f395n6r3
    You know you are getting old when you see that Labour spox have been named after Blair.

What were his parents thinking?
  • Options

FPT

Yep you're right and I don't think I expressed what I meant. I'm hypothesizing that Obama and a few other people have already talked to Biden and this debate was what they gave him as a chance to prove he could still do it. It's entirely possible that Biden knew what the stakes were last night. So what I'm saying is that the deal may already have been done. I hope so!

But if I'm wrong, you are very, very right and we are totally screwed.
    I certainly hope you’re right!
    If Biden can be persuaded to be the bigger man (which he is on all measures to Trump) and do the right thing by his party, his country and the world, that might work. He still has a chance to leave a noble legacy with a final act.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,130
    Got up late and just watched it. Seriously terrible for Biden, how can his family let him carry on like this with a clean conscience? We’ve all had to deal with elderly parents or grandparents who need to be told when to step back and enjoy what’s left of their lives, but it feels as if Biden is being tortured by those closest to him to stay in the race.
  • Options
    boulay said:

I missed it. Was it worse than watching England v Slovenia the other day?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,198

Heathener said:

The issue is no one knows what the Tory party vote will be.
    24-25% and the Tories get 155 even 200 seats
    19% and 50 seats would be lucky
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,030
    Taz said:

Taz said:
    :smiley:

"But the climate influencer might want to have a look at her own carbon footprint. She has already flown twice to the Caribbean this year, a 9,000-mile round trip. First in January to see relatives in Jamaica, where she was born before moving to the UK as a toddler, and then in March to join 120 activists for a “climate justice camp” on the exotic island of Saint Martin.

This is despite declaring in 2019 she would go “flight-free”.

Addressing the “Elephant in the Room” on Instagram following her recent trips abroad, Loach told her followers she felt she didn’t have “to justify my whole life to everyone”, claiming criticism of her apparent U-Turn was simply a “distraction tactic” used by major corporations."
    Another example of why carbon emissions as a moral purity test is so stupid. It’s the same as treating obesity as a moral purity test. It lets the polluters and governments off the hook.

It’s a problem of industrial waste disposal. It should be treated as such.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 503
    Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Good thing we are handing the Royal Mail over to a Czech. That's our democracy safe for the couple of decades while we transition to an electronic system on Fujitsu software.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,838

Heathener said:

Necessary though - with the Tories at or past a tipping point dozens of seats could change hands on very little vote share difference, there could be lots of very small majorities.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,002
    edited June 28
    Stereodog said:

On Leon’s mockery of people who point out that Biden has a stammer I feel I should point out that I have a stammer which is worsened by stress and (unusually) alcohol. At my worst I would be less coherent than Biden was last night. The worst thing is that because you desperately try to substitute any word you can actually get out it makes you sound stupid. I’m youngish so people don’t attribute it to senility but I could see how they could if I were older.

As it happens I also think that Biden has other related issues too but that doesn’t mean his stammer is still not a problem.

I have a very good friend with a very bad stammer and I know how cruel and difficult it can be. I also know what it looks like. You have my sincere sympathies

But anyone with eyes can see that Biden exhibits bizarre, rambling, incoherent and sometimes meaningless speech patterns which go way beyond “a stammer”. Again this has been self evident for a couple of years but people have bluntly refused to believe it. Later on I will spend several weeks relentlessly digging up their remarks and putting them on here for month after month so they can be publicly humiliated but I won’t do any more than that because I’m not the vindictive, triumphalist type. It’s just not me. There’s no way I’ll spend more than three months sadistically laughing at these hapless twats that I am about to name
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,871
    edited June 28

Chris said:

A thought.

How is it daft?

I am fully aware it’s a progressive condition, but “I am a bit senile but I can still hang on to the nuclear codes til January next year” isn’t a particularly convincing line is it?
    But the line doesn’t have to be that, it can be, “I’m fine now, but I may not be in 2027 and 2028, so someone else should be the candidate.”
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 503

Eabhal said:

You know you are getting old when you see that Labour spox have been named after Blair.

Met a girl called Trinity the other day, she explained it was after a character in an old film.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 461
    For 2020, you could make the reasonable argument that ‘only Biden could beat Trump’.

In 2024, what is ironic about Biden’s cognitive deficiencies - is that Trump himself does not appear as formidable as in 2016 or 2020.

Barack Obama vs Trump last night, would have absolutely annihilated him.

But I think many other potential Dem candidates also would. This may not have been the case in 2020.

The complicating factor is that passing over Harris for anyone else might alienate large segments of the black and/or women vote. Even if Harris doesn’t seem the best candidate, it seems like she would have more of a fighting chance than Biden at this point.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,542

Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Good thing we are handing the Royal Mail over to a Czech. That's our democracy safe for the couple of decades while we transition to an electronic system on Fujitsu software.
    We're not handing it over, we're selling it to give the money for a few more foreign holidays.

And a trillion quid of assets has gone the same way over the last few decades.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,213
    Last night’s debate with Trump was like the first morning of a test match for Biden - he could not win the Presidency with a good performance but he could lose it with a bad one. And he has. The free world needs a new Democrat at the top of the ticket.

Whether Biden actually has early stage dementia or not is besides the point (I very much doubt he does, he's just getting old), the perception is everything. He cannot now win. He needs replacing. The plus side for the Democrats - and the rest of us - is that Trump is that Trump has spent the last few years preparing to take on Biden specifically. At his age, he would struggle to adapt to a new opponent.
  • Options
    Clearly main thing here is the disgusting comments. But it also caps off a week of Reform reinforcing their “10-20% problem”. People beyond their core support who like Farage being plain speaking but are hesitant about voting Reform because of Ukraine, racist comments, weirdness

Also notable in our groups another criticism has emerged that Farage led the Brexit charge & then disappeared from the stage. Somewhat unfair given he wasn’t in Government & did come back to lead the Brexit Party- but still a perception he left others to do the work of Brexiting

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1806586415452418494
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Heathener said:

Necessary though - with the Tories at or past a tipping point dozens of seats could change hands on very little vote share difference, there could be lots of very small majorities.
    Another interesting feature of that aggregator is that you can filter on the seats that all the aggregators agree on for each party - the 'nailed-on' seats maybe.

Doing so gives you:
    Lab 335
    LD 21
    Con 11
    SNP 5
    PC 2
    Green 0
    Ref 0
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,567
    Just waking up to this news. It sounds like a friggin' disaster.

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,587
    edited June 28
    eek said:

Heathener said:

The issue is no one knows what the Tory party vote will be.
    24-25% and the Tories get 155 even 200 seats
    19% and 50 seats would be lucky
    Morning all.
    Yeah, the vote share is a key factor. Going in to the election i think they believed they could get away with a 30%/200 seat strategy, but with Reform and endless ineptitude thats really now a 25%/160 seat thing. 25% seems reasonable if Reform underperform and at that level they would certainly be in triple figures and official opposition. Its increasingly perilous every 1% they drop under
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,070
    DougSeal said:

Eabhal said:

Hi MP, I'm in waist deep on a small Tory majority. I have been reading your stuff on here and am a big fan. When it comes in you and I will be in fucking gravy.

My wife's arrived on Tuesday and she was going to post it the same day. I advised she used pen, not pencil, and I drove it round to the council offices myself. But with the sort of thing you point out in Vale of Glamorgan it appears that the Conservatives will win whatever happens.
    I hope you didn't just pop it in the council's letter box, you have to go through some arcane vetting process
  • Options
    It's too late to change from Biden. If they thought they had an option to go for someone else, well, they still might have arrived at this point because taking down an incumbent is very difficult. There's no consensus on who would pick up the baton either, even though Harris is obvious.

I think the USA will really do it, they'll elect Trump again, and he's an unstable, idiotic, vindictive, criminal. Nothing he says or does appears to bother 45% of the country, and the 5-10% swayable voters may not be fans but don't fear him either, as they should.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,213

Eabhal said:

Quite a few people I know - me included - still haven't received their polling cards. It's not s big a deal but it does suggest a very widespread problem.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,380

It was that bad, listening to Radiohead live at Glastonbury was less painful.
  • Options
    edited June 28
    Catching up with the first hour of R4 Today.

The fairly extensive cover of the RefUK bigotgate is interesting. The one point they seem to be missing is that they are not challenging Farage's "few bad apples" excuses.

The people in the 10 minute C4 video are a canvasser who has known Farage for years, and core people from the national campaign - long term associated of Farage - who have been brought in to Clacton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmkMpYbOoO0
  • Options
    JameiJamei Posts: 56
    edited June 28

Eabhal said:

Quite a few people I know - me included - still haven't received their polling cards. It's not s big a deal but it does suggest a very widespread problem.

Surely people affected can apply for a proxy vote instead?
  • Options
    "Democrats who have defended the president for months against his doubters — including members of his own administration — traded frenzied phone calls and text messages within minutes of the start of the debate as it became clear that Mr. Biden was not at his sharpest. Practically in despair, some took to social media to express shock, while others privately discussed among themselves whether it was too late to persuade the president to step aside in favor of a younger candidate."

NY Times
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Eabhal said:

My hunch is entirely reliant on my 1992 disappointment and my reading of some outrageous voter suppression and foreign voter rule changes.

I am aware that the science is entirely contrary to my expectations, but I don't believe the polling and the MRP figures are absurd. Take North Herefordshire as an example.

Both parties are going to be within 50 seats either way of 300. I will be more than relieved if I am wrong and Labour are 350 and Tories 250. But haven't we seen evidence on here of Conservative waverers like BigG coming home just in time for Thursday?
  • Options

For 2020, you could make the reasonable argument that ‘only Biden could beat Trump’.

In 2024, what is ironic about Biden’s cognitive deficiencies - is that Trump himself does not appear as formidable as in 2016 or 2020.

But I think many other potential Dem candidates also would. This may not have been the case in 2020.

The complicating factor is that passing over Harris for anyone else might alienate large segments of the black and/or women vote. Even if Harris doesn’t seem the best candidate, it seems like she would have more of a fighting chance than Biden at this point.

I think it will have to be Harris, unless she can be persuaded to step aside for the greater good.

I think Harris would have a better chance than Biden, who appears to have no chance right now.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Met a girl called Trinity the other day, she explained it was after a character in an old film.
    Not after the first nuclear bomb detonation then?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,376
    Seems like Biden has blown it. Not unpredictable. I must say if Trump now wins thank goodness Starmer and not Sunak will be in charge. Despite his appearance of pusillanimity underneath we know him to be a committed European and if ever we'll have needed to be part of a united Europe this is the time
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's too late to change from Biden. If they thought they had an option to go for someone else, well, they still might have arrived at this point because taking down an incumbent is very difficult. There's no consensus on who would pick up the baton either, even though Harris is obvious.

I think the USA will really do it, they'll elect Trump again, and he's an unstable, idiotic, vindictive, criminal. Nothing he says or does appears to bother 45% of the country, and the 5-10% swayable voters may not be fans but don't fear him either, as they should.

No, it's not too late to change.
    I'd say it's odds on that Biden will (perhaps with some heavy persuasion being necessary) step down before the Democratic convention.

So they've got a month and a half.
  • Options

I think it will have to be Harris, unless she can be persuaded to step aside for the greater good.

I think Harris would have a better chance than Biden, who appears to have no chance right now.
    Yep. All very upsetting if you have been rooting for Biden. Looks that way. Convention will need to move him aside now unless his wife can see this can't go on.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,282

Eabhal said:

Anecdata but I have noticed the post here in this part of Scotland has become very much more erratic over the last month or so. Days without post have increased, and deliveries have become much lumpier.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,624
    Well don't the people who have defended Biden running again look like bloody idiots now? Not that Biden's frailties should come as a surprise to anyone who looked honestly at him over the last few years.

On Radio 5 this morning they spoke to a Professor of American politics, an American, and his first comment said dead straight was "pray for America". He's not wrong. Divine intervention is what is needed now to save America and the World from calamity.

• Options

I'm terrified. The full extent of Trump's criminality, viciousness, and contempt for democracy and rule of law is no joke, yet he looks likely to win - at the most positive interpretation Democrats are still worried and divided. And that's despite Trump also being rambling and incoherent.

I'd vote for a comatose Biden over Trump. But I don't think swing state voters would.

And that's before worrying about the interference state houses reps have essentially promised this time.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,637
    Leon said:

Stereodog said:

I have a very good friend with a very bad stammer and I know how cruel and difficult it can be. I also know what it looks like. You have my sincere sympathies

But anyone with eyes can see that Biden exhibits bizarre, rambling, incoherent and sometimes meaningless speech patterns which go way beyond “a stammer”. Again this has been self evident for a couple of years but people have bluntly refused to believe it. Later on I will spend several weeks relentlessly digging up their remarks and putting them on here for month after month so they can be publicly humiliated but I won’t do any more than that because I’m not the vindictive, triumphalist type. It’s just not me. There’s no way I’ll spend more than three months sadistically laughing at these hapless twats that I am about to name
    Beautiful company, beautiful, guy’s been doing it for 50 years, sells hundreds of boats, they use Mercury engines, they want to take that out, they want to make it all-electric, I asked, “How is it?” He said, ‘It’s a problem, sir, they want us to make all electric boats, the problem is, the boat is so heavy, it can’t float.’ I said, ‘that sounds like a problem.’ He said, ‘also it can’t go fast because of the weight, and they want to now have a 50 mile or 70 mile radius, you have to go out 70 miles before you can really start the boat up, and you go out at two knots, that’s essentially almost like two miles an hour.’ I said, ‘How long does it take you to get out there?’ He said, ‘many hours, and then you’re allowed to go around for ten minutes, and then you have to come back, because the battery only lasts a very short period of time.’ So I said, ‘let me ask you a question,’ and he said, 'nobody has ever asked this question,’ and it must because of MIT, my relationship to MIT. ‘Very smart,’ he goes. I say, ‘What would happen if the boat sank from its weight, and you’re in the boat, and you have this tremendously powerful battery, and the battery’s now under water, and there’s a shark that’s approximately 10 yards over there — by the way, a lot of shark attacks lately, do you notice that? Lotta shark attacks — I watched some guys justifying it today, ‘well they weren’t really that angry, they bit off the young lady’s leg because of the fact that they were, they were … not hungry but they misunderstood who she was.’ These people are crazy.’ He said, ‘there’s no problem with sharks, they just didn’t really understand a young woman swimming,’ No, really got decimated and other people too, a lot of shark attacks, so I said, ‘there’s a shark 10 yards away from the boat, 10 yards, or here. Do I get electrocuted if the boat is sinking, water goes over the battery, the boat is sinking? Do I stay on top of the boat and get electrocuted or do I jump over by the shark and not get electrocuted?’ Because I will tell you, he didn’t know the answer, he said, ‘you know, nobody’s ever asked me that question.’ I said, ‘I think it’s a good question. I think there’s a lot of electric current coming through that water.’ But you know what I’d do if there was a shark or you get electrocuted? I’ll take electrocution every single time. I’m not getting near the shark. So we’re going to end that, we’re going to end it for boats, we’re going to end it for trucks.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

And then they'll all find out how fragile a thing a democracy is.

Brace as Leon would say.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,062
    Roger said:

Seems like Biden has blown it. Not unpredictable. I must say if Trump now wins thank goodness Starmer and not Sunak will be in charge. Despite his appearance of pusillanimity underneath we know him to be a committed European and if ever we'll have needed to be part of a united Europe this is the time

FFS Roger. Let it go. We lost. I was sad too. Move on. If you want the UK to rejoin maybe consider rejoining the UK so you have a better idea of what might move the dial. Bleating like yours lost the Referendum for us in the first place and is not helping yours and ( to some extent even though you and James O'Brien are testing it) my cause.
  • Options
    The Trump campaign already has a brutal ad of Biden’s bad moments. They simply have to play this on tv again and again

Indeed the debate was so bad they could compile three or four entirely different ads making the same cruel but necessary point. Also watch the scenes of Biden being led away from the podium by his wife. He is a very frail and senile old man. It is utterly wrong in a basic way that this is being allowed to happen and all those that facilitate it in the USA should be ashamed

However the Dems now have one last chance to put this right

https://x.com/endwokeness/status/1806557731244986521?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 461

Yes agreed. If it’s not Harris, or Michelle Obama, then how do you convince millions of Black Women voters “Well we’re passing over Harris.”

I’ve seen some people suggest Whitmer-Warnock as a potential compromise balanced ticket. But I still don’t think that assuages the above.

And how do you sell the message “The last 4 years have been a success…and now we are ditching both the President and VP” ? You can do it for age reasons if it was just Biden - but it looks a hard sell where Harris is concerned.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,542

Yep. All very upsetting if you have been rooting for Biden. Looks that way. Convention will need to move him aside now unless his wife can see this can't go on.
    If Biden doesn't step down then the convention is likely to be chaos.

Not a good look.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,624
    MattW said:

First.

Listening to parts of the debate, I couldn't find a single thing said by Mr Trump that was actually true.

BBC coverage not making the point at all, beyond a polite "Trump made unsubstantiated statements."

Trump lies continously. I honestly can't think of any other person who so routinely lies about things, and so many of his lies are easily disproven. Anyone who supports clearly doesn't give a damn about whether Trump is suitable for the job, they just want to stick it to people they don't like such as liberals/gays/blacks/women/immigrants.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

"They call me Trinity" and "Trinity rides again" I think. Wasn't it starring Spaghetti Westerner Terrence Hill.

Not the first thing to spring to mind when naming one's child.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

I'd say it's odds on that Biden will (perhaps with some heavy persuasion being necessary) step down before the Democratic convention.

And that destroys the campaign and immediately hands the election to Trump.

It's not procedurally too late, but it is practically.

What, the Dems are going to admit either they made a mistake, that Biden has had a sudden deterioration, or Trump beat Biden so they realised he could not last 4 years even if he's fine now?

What does that do for the prospects of Harris, Buttering, or whoever?
  • Options
    Michelle Obama vs Donald Trump is down to 2 on BF.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Btw I’ve been going over the history of “Biden is senile, no he’s not” arguments - the best of them are hilarious, I’ll post later - but I’ve noted how lucid and articulate you’ve been on this for many months. You said it a year ago and six months ago. “Biden is losing his mind and this is bad, people are in denial”

So well done you. Seriously

Also @Luckyguy1983 - absolutely clear that Biden is senile and was roundly abused on here for saying it. Deserves an apology
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,568
    https://x.com/DPJHodges/status/1806593033313321243

@DPJHodges
    Key thing about the Biden car-crash. Trump won’t run against him. He’ll run against Harris. And say -correctly - if Biden wins she will become President by default.
  • Options
    glw said:

MattW said:

First.

Trump lies continously. I honestly can't think of any other person who so routinely lies about things, and so many of his lies are easily disproven. Anyone who supports clearly doesn't give a damn about whether Trump is suitable for the job, they just want to stick it to people they don't like such as liberals/gays/blacks/women/immigrants.
    He lies about entirely inconsequential things even, it's really very strange.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3m
    Key thing about the Biden car-crash. Trump won’t run against him. He’ll run against Harris. And say -correctly - if Biden wins she will become President by default.

• Options
    DopermeanDopermean Posts: 63
    kle4 said:

Also unlike last time there is a team behind with a plan to destroy their constitutional checks and balances, it will be far worse than last time and it is generally underestimated how much damage he did last time, the US Judicial system now has decades of right wing bias built in, not just the SCOTUS.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Who fairly uniquely among recent US precedents, didn't start or wade into any wars.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,376

Eabhal said:

Blair Peach Man! Get with it
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Btw I’ve been going over the history of “Biden is senile, no he’s not” arguments - the best of them are hilarious, I’ll post later - but I’ve noted how lucid and articulate you’ve been on this for many months. You said it a year ago and six months ago. “Biden is losing his mind and this is bad, people are in denial”

So well done you. Seriously

Also @Luckyguy1983 - absolutely clear that Biden is senile and was roundly abused on here for saying it. Deserves an apology
    When you are in full flow this site is best avoided. Can't you post a photo of your breakfast instead?
  • Options

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Beautiful company, beautiful, guy’s been doing it for 50 years, sells hundreds of boats, they use Mercury engines, they want to take that out, they want to make it all-electric, I asked, “How is it?” He said, ‘It’s a problem, sir, they want us to make all electric boats, the problem is, the boat is so heavy, it can’t float.’ I said, ‘that sounds like a problem.’ He said, ‘also it can’t go fast because of the weight, and they want to now have a 50 mile or 70 mile radius, you have to go out 70 miles before you can really start the boat up, and you go out at two knots, that’s essentially almost like two miles an hour.’ I said, ‘How long does it take you to get out there?’ He said, ‘many hours, and then you’re allowed to go around for ten minutes, and then you have to come back, because the battery only lasts a very short period of time.’ So I said, ‘let me ask you a question,’ and he said, 'nobody has ever asked this question,’ and it must because of MIT, my relationship to MIT. ‘Very smart,’ he goes. I say, ‘What would happen if the boat sank from its weight, and you’re in the boat, and you have this tremendously powerful battery, and the battery’s now under water, and there’s a shark that’s approximately 10 yards over there — by the way, a lot of shark attacks lately, do you notice that? Lotta shark attacks — I watched some guys justifying it today, ‘well they weren’t really that angry, they bit off the young lady’s leg because of the fact that they were, they were … not hungry but they misunderstood who she was.’ These people are crazy.’ He said, ‘there’s no problem with sharks, they just didn’t really understand a young woman swimming,’ No, really got decimated and other people too, a lot of shark attacks, so I said, ‘there’s a shark 10 yards away from the boat, 10 yards, or here. Do I get electrocuted if the boat is sinking, water goes over the battery, the boat is sinking? Do I stay on top of the boat and get electrocuted or do I jump over by the shark and not get electrocuted?’ Because I will tell you, he didn’t know the answer, he said, ‘you know, nobody’s ever asked me that question.’ I said, ‘I think it’s a good question. I think there’s a lot of electric current coming through that water.’ But you know what I’d do if there was a shark or you get electrocuted? I’ll take electrocution every single time. I’m not getting near the shark. So we’re going to end that, we’re going to end it for boats, we’re going to end it for trucks.
    lol. Fair

Trump is also in mental decline - but crucially

1. It’s nowhere near as bad as Biden
    2. He looks physically a lot better - ten years younger than Biden
    3. He’s still funny - that counts for a lot
    4. He’s always rambled so it disguises the decline
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 140
    I appreciate that the broadcasters are in a difficult position here but why are they not being explicit about what the reform canvasser said. We should stop protecting people by refusing to call out what they say. The BBC might want a trigger warning but they should repeat exactly what was said so people can see how disgusting it is. Calling it a ‘racist slur’ just softens the impact in a very inappropriate way.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

"They call me Trinity" and "Trinity rides again" I think. Wasn't it starring Spaghetti Westerner Terrence Hill.

No, it would be the Oppenheimer movie now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

glw said:

MattW said:

First.

He lies about entirely inconsequential things even, it's really very strange.
    I think that a fair amount is perhaps from his boilerplate stump speech.

But I have not been able to bring myself to listen to the approx. 1 hour of that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Even in my ignorance I’ve assumed there are still options for the Dems. I was slightly taken aback when during a discussion this morning between Justin Webb and Sarah Smith (which is one definition of vapidity) that Smith, the BBC North American editor, admitted not knowing the rules governing any Biden replacement.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Who fairly uniquely among recent US precedents, didn't start or wade into any wars.
    There are other criterion to judge him on.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,198

Eabhal said:

‘Twas The matrix
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

No, it would be the Oppenheimer movie now.
    That makes more sense.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,637
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

lol. Fair

Trump is also in mental decline - but crucially

1. It’s nowhere near as bad as Biden
    2. He looks physically a lot better - ten years younger than Biden
    3. He’s still funny - that counts for a lot
    4. He’s always rambled so it disguises the decline
    You probably believe Trump shoots under par rounds of golf too.