Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The pressure could be back on Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,188
    Beth Rigby: Labour believed to have won by just over 1,000 votes.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,753
    DougSeal said:

isam said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

Kicking myself that I didn't cash out on Hall when she was 4/1. Live and learn.

TBF you were backing your instincts. You were one of the more consistent in suggesting (albeit not outright predicting) a Hall victory until quite late this morning. Nothing wrong with backing yourself but clearly wrong call this time.
    Yes Andy had a view and stuck to it. It's the people that about turned on one nonsense Tweet and then hope we have forgotten that annoy me.
    What about people who claim high turnout in Putney on election day meant the Red Wall was safe for Labour in the GE of 2019?
    I remember an excited Tweet doing the rounds early on election night in 2019 that Johnson lost Uxbridge. That people still fall for any old shite after the platform has been around 17 years now amazes me. And I mean “people”. It’s not a partisan thing.
    Rather, it's a human thing. (Which AI crap-bots are faithfully imitating?)
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

KFs so called sources have in the space of 48 hrs told us Hall won , and then don’t even know Labour can’t stop a recount. It’s up to the returning officer . Enough already !

If labour had agreed it would have gone ahead. By them protesting it was pushed to the RO for a decision.
    No it’s up to the RO to make the decision regardless of what Labour said . That’s the law . The Tories got what they deserved with their last minute attempts at mud slinging and false accusations.
    Yes, it is up to the RO.

But if both the 2 leading parties are ok with it the convention is to allow it
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Heathener said:

murali_s said:

Andy Street is pretty woke, look at all the woke stuff brought in when he ran John Lewis.

A bit baffling an anti-woke crowd would celebrate him winning.

To be honest, it's 2024 (not 1924). Most people are woke now shirley? A few dinosaurs remain but in time they will see the light or die off...
    Woke is slowly dying.
    Nope... war on woke will end with the boomers
    Woke is crystallised stupidity. It's up there with tulip fever, trephinning, and carrying a head scratcher because your three foot powdered wig is full of lice. It's a vulgarity of our age. That's how it will be looked upon.

You can choose to go with it because everyone else is, or you can step back from it and realise 'Oh, that's a bit fucking daft'. Go with it, and you hand the right wing the moral and intellectual high ground, as we've seen over trans.
    You’re dying out guys. Sorry. But your day is past.

The country is itching to move on from the older, gammon and boomer, men.

A bright new, pink, open dawn approaches. I am celebrating.
    And therein lies the seeds of your own future destruction.
    I don’t think people will embrace self-hatred.

At the heart of “woke” is the belief that the West is rotten at heart and the past 250 years has been a story of hideous Western oppression. The United States is the Evil Empire.

Whereas, nobody in their right mind would want to live in the world of pre-US hegemony. Nor, embrace the alternative hegemonies.

Put bluntly, if you were to ask a serious historian, “when was the best time to be born”, they’d say “yesterday.”
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,642
    Artist said:

None of the WM mayoral polls picked up the strong Independent showing though.

I did. Having posted here on Thursday evening:
    "My current feeling about the West Midlands mayoral election informed of weeks of doorknocking: ..... Yakoob will pick up about 5% of the total vote…"
    OK, he's going to win more than 5% of the vote, but 5% is still much more than any of the polls predicted.

That said, the bit I have left out from the middle of that quote rather dispels my claim to sophological genius. It was:
    "....... Street will win by a margin of around 5%, thanks to split ticket voting by those voting Lab in the local/PCC elections, plus the impact of the independent candidate Yakoob...."
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    I wonder if Street will take any of tonight’s shenanigans to court. Does anyone want the West Mids mayoralty that badly?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,107

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

KFs so called sources have in the space of 48 hrs told us Hall won , and then don’t even know Labour can’t stop a recount. It’s up to the returning officer . Enough already !

If labour had agreed it would have gone ahead. By them protesting it was pushed to the RO for a decision.
    No it’s up to the RO to make the decision regardless of what Labour said . That’s the law . The Tories got what they deserved with their last minute attempts at mud slinging and false accusations.
    Yes, it is up to the RO.

But if both the 2 leading parties are ok with it the convention is to allow it
    Fair enough . I doubt it would have changed the result anyway .
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,711
    DougSeal said:

I wonder if Street will take any of tonight’s shenanigans to court. Does anyone want the West Mids mayoralty that badly?

Precedent of Winchester '97 says that would be unwise.
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 903

Street should have quit, stood as an independent and opposed scrapping HS2. He'd have walked it.

Some on here were telling us how grateful us northerners would be to have HS2 scrapped and the money spent on pot holes.

Oddly the electorate appear not to have shown much gratitude.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,689

Kate Ferguson must have the worst sources in the entirety of the world. She has been wrong about literally every call for the last two days. Baffling.

Maybe she’s a Leon. Have the two ever been seen in the same room?
    Are you going to hold your hands up for being wrong too?
    I just fed you the vibe straight from Sky news.

They look in shock.
    No you said Street had won. Accept you were wrong.
    No i didn’t. I said,

“ I think it’s safe to call the win for a Street now?
    The win % required in in last boro would be too difficult for Labour even without “there’s always a defence for every offence lawyer for Hamas” siphoning off some of these votes too?”

It was questions about the maths needed. That’s completely different.

What you have completely forgotten - horse - is the amount of PB being read in Conservative households this weekend, getting your “GET IN” clenched fist in their faces as another result comes in every five minutes! People like you and Anabob have no respect for your opponents, you view them as the evil enemy to be chased away and carved up like Oliver Cromwell done to his enemies.

Now you have got London and West Midlands, can you give us North Yorkshire back please.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,032
    isam said:

murali_s said:

Andy Street is pretty woke, look at all the woke stuff brought in when he ran John Lewis.

To be honest, it's 2024 (not 1924). Most people are woke now shirley? A few dinosaurs remain but in time they will see the light or die off...
    Woke is slowly dying.
    No, it will seem awfully passé and a peculiar fad of the late 10s/early 20s in a few years time.

Many people will study in future how it happened that we became so obsessed with identity and intersectionalism.
    Let's hope so. My only real worry about Labour in govt is that they will embrace Tavistock style gender nonsense & Self ID rather than seeing it for the 21st Century eugenics it is. Sir Keir has already played both sides of the argument, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he approves sending kids for surgery once he's in power if a twitter poll says it's popular
    What a bizarre rant. Gender surgery in the UK has never been permitted under age 18 in the UK, and I don't think anyone has proposed that it be permitted.

Criticise Labour for its policies or lack of them, but don't make them up. It degrades the entire debate.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    Just a 1,000 votes in it!
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 1,206

Kate Ferguson must have the worst sources in the entirety of the world. She has been wrong about literally every call for the last two days. Baffling.

They look in shock.
    No i didn’t. I said,

The win % required in in last boro would be too difficult for Labour even without “there’s always a defence for every offence lawyer for Hamas” siphoning off some of these votes too?”

What you have completely forgotten - horse - is the amount of PB being read in Conservative households this weekend, getting your “GET IN” clenched fist in their faces as another result comes in every five minutes! People like you and Anabob have no respect for your opponents, you view them as the evil enemy to be chased away and carved up like Oliver Cromwell done to his enemies.

Now you have got London and West Midlands, can you give us North Yorkshire back please.
    Saying "I think it’s safe to call the win for a Street now?" is saying you think he's won. Laughable nonsense.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,943

Been out for drinks with neighbours - is that 1,000 votes after a recount or are we now going to have a recount?
  • Options

Artist said:

None of the WM mayoral polls picked up the strong Independent showing though.

I did. Having posted here on Thursday evening:
    "My current feeling about the West Midlands mayoral election informed of weeks of doorknocking: ..... Yakoob will pick up about 5% of the total vote…"
    OK, he's going to win more than 5% of the vote, but 5% is still much more than any of the polls predicted.

That said, the bit I have left out from the middle of that quote rather dispels my claim to sophological genius. It was:
    "....... Street will win by a margin of around 5%, thanks to split ticket voting by those voting Lab in the local/PCC elections, plus the impact of the independent candidate Yakoob...."
    That was brilliant from you Phil.

Labour knew the same as one of them put out that vile tweet blaming the loss on Yakoob.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154
    DougSeal said:

Sunak does. For the Conservatives.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087

They look in shock.
    No i didn’t. I said,

That's only around one in six households, though.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459

DougSeal said:

Sunak does. For the Conservatives.
    Streisand effect. He’d just be keeping the fact that they failed to win a seat they’d briefed they’d expected to in the news. It would be stretching the current news cycle out the number of weeks it took to hear the matter.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,244
    edited May 4
    Parker winning has really punctured Sunak’s balloon.

Houchen his only real win in a sea of losses. Nearly 500 councillors down, and thin gruel where they did hold on.

A great cycle for all the others.

Greens made big strides - including Stroud, Bristol and Oxford.
    LibDems had a solid if unspectacular election, but one fought not on their best territory in the main. Dorset is a big prize.
    Labour won where they needed to, real signs that they can get a decent majority. Good performances in Cannock, Tamworth, Aldershot, Shoreham and Nuneaton will provide a big fillip, even before the mayoral successes.
  • Options

Been out for drinks with neighbours - is that 1,000 votes after a recount or are we now going to have a recount?
    "Just 1,000 votes in it," say Labour sources

Nick Eardley
    Political correspondent

"My sources say Labour may have won this race by as little as 1,000 votes.

"But they’re confident they’ve won."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68609732
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,107

nico679 said:

What will Sunak do with his helicopter booking now ?

Sell it to Starmer.
    That’s so funny !
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Foxy said:

isam said:

murali_s said:

Woke is slowly dying.
    No, it will seem awfully passé and a peculiar fad of the late 10s/early 20s in a few years time.

Many people will study in future how it happened that we became so obsessed with identity and intersectionalism.
    Let's hope so. My only real worry about Labour in govt is that they will embrace Tavistock style gender nonsense & Self ID rather than seeing it for the 21st Century eugenics it is. Sir Keir has already played both sides of the argument, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he approves sending kids for surgery once he's in power if a twitter poll says it's popular
    What a bizarre rant. Gender surgery in the UK has never been permitted under age 18 in the UK, and I don't think anyone has proposed that it be permitted.

Criticise Labour for its policies or lack of them, but don't make them up. It degrades the entire debate.
    Ok sorry; telling autistic/gay/troubled kids they’re trapped in the wrong gender, giving them drugs that stop their bodies developing naturally and softening them up for surgery at a later date
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,392
    Got quite a lovely room this evening

Cost me over 100€, but I'm worth it

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    Paul Mason tweets West midlands is'the new Portillo moment'
    What a tool
  • Options

They look in shock.
    No i didn’t. I said,

Saying "I think it’s safe to call the win for a Street now?" is saying you think he's won. Laughable nonsense.
    You need to go back to school and learn English, I put a question mark on the end. I was asking you for guidance, not winding you up.

North Yorkshire doesn’t belong to you. It’s theft.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596
    edited May 4

Andy_JS said:

I probably owe @IanB2 on this because he made me think twice about taking profit.
    You did well to make money, and deserve credit for it. But you did so by rescuing a bad bet because others turned out to have been more foolish still. Which, of course, is exactly what I did having backed Remain and Clinton, back then. A bad bet can be rescued provided you realise your mistake before others do.

Had you said from the outset that backing Hall was a trading bet, anticipating a wobble between polls closing and the count when you could cash out at a profit, then you’d deserve massive credit for calling it exactly right. But claiming the Hall bet was value, when she never had a snowballs of winning, wasn’t a good call.
  • Options
    edited May 4

Nick Eardley
    Political correspondent

If there's only 1,000 votes in it from an electorate of around 3 million, one could argue that there really ought to have been a recount in every area, not just one.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

LibDem win by 2 votes in May '97 became LibDem win by 21,556 at the Nov '97 by-election!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209

murali_s said:

Woke is slowly dying.
    The boomers are currently between 60ish and 80ish. They vote like bastards. They will constitute the dominant voting bloc for at least the next decade, and my headcanon says that they won't be displaced until around 2035-40. Like it or hate it, they will be British politics for many years to come.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 814
    Is it fair to say there's very little redeeming feature in the Tory results?

- Big bye election loss
    - Almost 500 councillor seats lost and in third place for seats won behind the Lib Dems
    - Over 10% loss in London with a swing towards Khan
    - Lost pretty much all mayoral votes contested including the much hyped West Midlands one

If this is a respectable performance I'm not sure what a disaster would look like.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346

Paul Mason tweets West midlands is'the new Portillo moment'
    What a tool

Has he shat in a fountain yet this weekend?
  • Options
    It's certainly a BYE election for Rishi Sunak
  • Options
    One chink of light for the Conservatives.

Few of their supporters back Reform, on polling day.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

- Big bye election loss
    - Almost 500 councillor seats lost and in third place for seats won behind the Lib Dems
    - Lost pretty much all mayoral votes contested including the much hyped West Midlands one

If this is a respectable performance I'm not sure what a disaster would look like.

The disaster is yet to come - the GE!
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,998

nico679 said:

Sell it to Starmer.
    The creatures outside looked from blue rosette helicopter passenger to red rosette helicopter passenger, and from blue to red again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
  • Options
    edited May 4
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

murali_s said:

Woke is slowly dying.

Ok sorry; telling autistic/gay/troubled kids they’re trapped in the wrong gender, giving them drugs that stop their bodies developing naturally and softening them up for surgery at a later date
    Starmer has supported the Cass report, so his policy is essentially the same as the government. Puberty blockers only as a part of scientific studies.

I appreciate you are hurting after a set of results that looks towards a thumping Labour majority, but don't make stuff up.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,011
    Ratters said:

- Big bye election loss

The Lib Dems really need to press home the 2nd place ahead of the tories point. No evidence of it catching on yet, but imagine if the Tories had come third to Reform. Wall to wall coverage for days.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,646
    nico679 said:

legatus said:

I doubt that Galloway will be too pleased!

Good. Anything that wipes the smile off the hate monger is to be welcomed !
    On the upside, he's failed miserably. Got a handful of council seats, but had stood candidates in seats across Rochdale, hoping to take the council. Didn't happen. Two wards closest to me, he got <50 votes and <20 votes respectively.

If I were a Green, I might be a bit concerned about the number of seemingly 'motivated' one issue candidates who had suddenly become converted to their cause. They're not going to be too keen on your stance on gender issues.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    edited May 4
    Ratters said:

- Big bye election loss

It's a very poor performance but one that is not quite the nadir of 95/96. Its a 'prepare for 180 to 200 seats' results not a 'prepare for wipeout' one
  • Options
    edited May 4
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sell it to Starmer.
    That’s so funny !
    With a tax break.

Really, for the country to save money, improve efficiency, both leaders should be sat in the helicopter, and one get out when they lose.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,876
    ohnotnow said:

nico679 said:

Sell it to Starmer.
    The creatures outside looked from blue rosette helicopter passenger to red rosette helicopter passenger, and from blue to red again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
    Like Danny DeVito and Arnie in Twins?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039
    Sean_F said:

Quite possibly because it wasn’t an option for many though. Blackpool demonstrates that they can absolutely poll very well.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,654
    edited May 4
    For some years now, Labour has performed absolutely abysmally in the Midlands - West and East. And there was no route to a GE victory without Midlands seats. These results - mayoral and council elections - suggest those days may be over. Starmer will be delighted.
  • Options
    You can tell the election results are winding down because we're talking about trans again... :)

(ducks)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,841
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

I probably owe @IanB2 on this because he made me think twice about taking profit.
    You did well to make money, and deserve credit for it. But you did so by rescuing a bad bet because others turned out to have been more foolish still. Which, of course, is exactly what I did having backed Remain and Clinton, back then. A bad bet can be rescued provided you realise your mistake before others do.

Had you said from the outset that backing Hall was a trading bet, anticipating a wobble between polls closing and the count when you could cash out at a profit, then you’d deserve massive credit for calling it exactly right. But claiming the Hall bet was value, when she never had a snowballs of winning, wasn’t a good call.
    We've been over this ground before earlier today.

She was value at the price available. At that stage I didn't know if I was going to hold or trade.

The fact she was value was enough for me to buy.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

- Big bye election loss

Well it is widely opined on here that the dislike for the Tories is much more on a national than local level, so very likely these results are better than it will be at the GE.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,392

Does that telephone work?

Can you get Agatha Christie on the other end of it?

“Hello? Murder in the West Midlands was utterly gripping.”
    Just found out that it does work , but I can only call reception

Juan down there was keen to find out how he could help

I'll leave it alone from now on!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,451
    I've had a very nice day out with family in Inverness. Heard that Khaaaaan has smashed it in London and wondered just how miserable the Tories must be after desperately ramping that they would win.

And now we have this. Which is :o

So, the only chink of light for the Tories is Ben Houchen. Who so refused to be a Tory that he wouldn't even wear a rosette at the count or giving his victory speech where he said he looked forward to working with Starmer. A victory where the swing was so large that all NE Tories will be gone at the GE.

And they say Sunak is now safe? Maaaaaarvelous. Though surely the election will now be as late as possible. Listen to Tory shills - the electorate are stupid, they don't understand all the good we are doing them, we "nearly won" (translation: lost), tax cuts and economic good times are ahead.

12th December or 23rd January.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,711
    Ratters said:

- Big bye election loss

Especially when you consider how much (legitimate) pitch-rolling the government did to be popular in early May. The NI cut, the Rwanda legislation. And then there were the less legitimate Home Office videos of the deportation arrests.

And this is how we thank them. Aren't we ungrateful sods?

Header-wise, is the mood in the party 'no change, no chance' or 'no chance, no point'? I suspect the latter, which is almost certainly more realistic.

Unless something really crazy comes up.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

murali_s said:

Woke is slowly dying.
    Woke is crystallised stupidity. It's up there with tulip fever, trephinning, and carrying a head scratcher because your three foot powdered wig is full of lice. It's a vulgarity of our age. That's how it will be looked upon.

You can choose to go with it because everyone else is, or you can step back from it and realise 'Oh, that's a bit fucking daft'. Go with it, and you hand the right wing the moral and intellectual high ground, as we've seen over trans.

At the heart of “woke” is the belief that the West is rotten at heart and the past 250 years has been a story of hideous Western oppression. The United States is the Evil Empire.

Whereas, nobody in their right mind would want to live in the world of pre-US hegemony. Nor, embrace the alternative hegemonies.

Put bluntly, if you were to ask a serious historian, “when was the best time to be born”, they’d say “yesterday.”
    There's also something about wallowing in identity groups that both reinforces them and polarises them, I think. And that's not healthy.

Fundamentally, it stops us looking at and treating it each other as individuals and provides an excuse for prejudgement.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Sean_F said:

Quite possibly because it wasn’t an option for many though. Blackpool demonstrates that they can absolutely poll very well.
    They threw the kitchen sink at one seat and got 3,100 votes.

Across London, Reform put up a full slate, and scraped one seat.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,943
    edited May 4
    Mad Nad has the answer:

INSIDE WESTMINSTER: How 'coiled mamba' Boris could come back to save the Tories from total annihilation - even though Rishi 'hasn't picked up the phone' | Daily Mail Online

https://x.com/NadineDorries/status/1786814555680592148
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

murali_s said:

Woke is slowly dying.

There's also something about wallowing in identity groups that both reinforces them and polarises them, I think. And that's not healthy.

Fundamentally, it stops us looking at and treating it each other as individuals and provides an excuse for prejudgement.
    Well there's certainly plenty of prejudgement of Transfolk on here!
  • Options
    edited May 4

But with the utmost respect, haven't you demonstrated on here quite a few times that you're happy to play "identity" politics as long as it comes from the "anti-woke" side. I've seen you do it countless times with your thoughts on veganism etc., putting one group of people into a bucket when they are - as you rightfully say - all individuals.
  • Options

Ratters said:

- Big bye election loss

It's a very poor performance but one that is not quite the nadir of 95/96. Its a 'prepare for 180 to 200 seats' results not a 'prepare for wipeout' one
    1993-1996, and 2006-09, were worse for the governing party.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,244

It remains to be seen how Starmer governs with all this power, but he has an opportunity to be radical but I doubt he has the courage on present evidence of all his flip flops

I agree. The country is crying out for some radicalism. A new deal if you will, but I suspect we’ll get timidity and tinkering.

What worries me is that will just end up fuelling even more support for the kind of populist simplism espoused by Reform.

• Options

But with the utmost respect, haven't you demonstrated on here quite a few times that you're happy to play "identity" politics as long as it comes from the "anti-woke" side.
    Not to my knowledge.

I probably do it politically a bit, but that's not quite the same thing.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sell it to Starmer.
    That’s so funny !
    With a tax break.

Really, for the country to save money, improve efficiency, both leaders should be sat in the helicopter, and one get out when they lose.
    The strange think is that I believe the use of a helicopter by the Prime Minister of the day is sensible as it provides easier security and certainly makes the position more mobile and flexible
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

murali_s said:

Woke is slowly dying.

I get bored shitless of the Trans stuff on here.
  • Options
    edited May 4
    Cutting HS2 and rowing back on climate is looking like one of the biggest political mistakes of recent times.
  • Options

Mad Nad has the answer:...'coiled mamba' Boris...

Nads, that is one fatty coil... :)

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,061

Mad Nad has the answer:

INSIDE WESTMINSTER: How 'coiled mamba' Boris could come back to save the Tories from total annihilation - even though Rishi 'hasn't picked up the phone' | Daily Mail Online

https://x.com/NadineDorries/status/1786814555680592148

Coiled mamba?
    It's like Freud never died and is spinning in his grave.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,300
    Bye, bye Rishi, bye, bye...

@JamesTapsfield

Some Tory MPs furious at No10 'bullshitting for 48 hours' that Susan Hall would win and Andy Street would be 'fine'. 'Rishi is definitely in play,' says one vowing to send no-confidence letter
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

murali_s said:

Woke is slowly dying.

Starmer has supported the Cass report, so his policy is essentially the same as the government. Puberty blockers only as a part of scientific studies.

I appreciate you are hurting after a set of results that looks towards a thumping Labour majority, but don't make stuff up.
    No need for the condescending remarks, I couldn’t care less about these results. I didn’t vote.

Sir Keir has argued both sides of almost every issue, so I have no confidence that he won’t go full ‘it’s wrong to say only women can have a cervix’ etc after the GE
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

She was value at the price available. At that stage I didn't know if I was going to hold or trade.

I suggest it is worth distinguishing between a bet made because you think the odds of the outcome are too long and a bet made because you think events will transpire to make other punters pile into an essentially losing position. They really are different things, even though, now and again, one can turn into the other.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039
    edited May 4
    Andy_JS said:

Nick Eardley
    Political correspondent

If there's only 1,000 votes in it from an electorate of around 3 million, one could argue that there really ought to have been a recount in every area, not just one.
    Really? I mean, I get that it’s a tight margin but I can’t imagine turnout was much higher than 40% so it’s certainly not 3m, and also the counts being done by constituency are not particularly close in each case.

Edit: turnout was just under 30% I believe.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,654
    While us on the left bask in the glow of electoral victory, no surprise to see our opponents turning futilely to their twin fetishes of woke and trans to attack us.
    We can live with that; it won't be a successful strategy.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,451

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sell it to Starmer.
    That’s so funny !
    With a tax break.

The strange think is that I believe the use of a helicopter by the Prime Minister of the day is sensible as it provides easier security and certainly makes the position more mobile and flexible
    Prime Ministers tend to be busy people. Cutting out dead time travelling has obvious advantages. Except that:
    (a) the optics look horrific, and
    (b) down time on a train meeting actual people would be good for him

I met him on a CalMac ferry and was impressed. It would do him the world of good to ditch the chopper and start shaking hands with randoms on trains and ferries.
  • Options

But with the utmost respect, haven't you demonstrated on here quite a few times that you're happy to play "identity" politics as long as it comes from the "anti-woke" side.
    Not to my knowledge.

I probably do it politically a bit, but that's not quite the same thing.
    I recall you getting quite frustrated about a restaurant only serving vegan food, saying that this was woke taking over society. Or perhaps it was just a few individuals who felt they believed in veganism?

I think you make some very good points on identity politics - and it is something I have tried to remove myself from since Corbyn lost - but sometimes it is worth taking a step back and seeing if we fall into the bracket which we accuse others of.

I certainly don't think all Tories are the same.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,251

I've had a very nice day out with family in Inverness. Heard that Khaaaaan has smashed it in London and wondered just how miserable the Tories must be after desperately ramping that they would win.

So, the only chink of light for the Tories is Ben Houchen. Who so refused to be a Tory that he wouldn't even wear a rosette at the count or giving his victory speech where he said he looked forward to working with Starmer. A victory where the swing was so large that all NE Tories will be gone at the GE.

And they say Sunak is now safe? Maaaaaarvelous. Though surely the election will now be as late as possible. Listen to Tory shills - the electorate are stupid, they don't understand all the good we are doing them, we "nearly won" (translation: lost), tax cuts and economic good times are ahead.

Not 27 June? 👍
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,300
    @montie

#SackSunakNow

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,526

It's certainly a BYE election for Rishi Sunak

Be careful what you wish for.
  • Options

Parker winning has really punctured Sunak’s balloon.

Houchen his only real win in a sea of losses. Nearly 500 councillors down, and thin gruel where they did hold on.

A great cycle for all the others.

Greens made big strides - including Stroud, Bristol and Oxford.
    LibDems had a solid if unspectacular election, but one fought not on their best territory in the main. Dorset is a big prize.
    Labour won where they needed to, real signs that they can get a decent majority. Good performances in Cannock, Tamworth, Aldershot, Shoreham and Nuneaton will provide a big fillip, even before the mayoral successes.

Houchen Remember had such a swing against, it brought every Tory constituencies in his patch into play and a likely loss.

And still Sunak went there, to own the result.

And that moment was Tory highlight of the weekend.
  • Options
    edited May 4
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

I suggest it is worth distinguishing between a bet made because you think the odds of the outcome are too long and a bet made because you think events will transpire to make other punters pile into an essentially losing position. They really are different things, even though, now and again, one can turn into the other.
    I think people were rather foolish at any time to think Hall could actually win. I haven't been by this site of late but I could have told you that from actually living in London.

I think the Tories have really bought into this idea - and I've seen it here too - that Khan is really despised and hated in London. He really isn't.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087

While us on the left bask in the glow of electoral victory, no surprise to see our opponents turning futilely to their twin fetishes of woke and trans to attack us.
    We can live with that; it won't be a successful strategy.

Whither Ulez scepticism?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

murali_s said:

Woke is slowly dying.

I get bored shitless of the Trans stuff on here.
    Transformers - my four-year old nephew has become a big fan over the last couple of years :lol:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,799
    And let's not forget that Labour achieved these results despite the Tories gerrymandering.
  • Options

Not 27 June? 👍
    4th July. 😇
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,076
    It's true that ULEZ stopped some people voting for Khan. That LTNs and 20mph limits piss some drivers off to the extent they will vote Conservative.

But far more people enjoy having cleaner air. Or don't like drivers ratrunning through their neighbourhoods, or want to let their kids walk or cycle to school without fear of them being knocked over.

The Uxbridge strategy is a minority strategy for a minority party.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    DougSeal said:

What's there to take to court ? What are the shenanigans ?
    It's a narrow loss but it is a loss. 1000 votes wouldn't be overturned if every area was recounted.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Ratters said:

- Big bye election loss

I dunno. Really only the politically engaged and old Tories vote in these contests. The average person is more likely to vote in a GE and is probably more likely to vote against the Government. Could be much worse in a GE.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,586
    Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

What's there to take to court ? What are the shenanigans ?
    It's a narrow loss but it is a loss. 1000 votes wouldn't be overturned if every area was recounted.
    Not unless they'd all been down the boozer.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167
    Sean_F said:

Ratters said:

- Big bye election loss

1993-1996, and 2006-09, were worse for the governing party.
    So was the end of the Cretaceous.
  • Options

And let's not forget that Labour achieved these results despite the Tories gerrymandering.

And the Gaza backlash.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

It's true that ULEZ stopped some people voting for Khan. That LTNs and 20mph limits piss some drivers off to the extent they will vote Conservative.

But far more people enjoy having cleaner air. Or don't like drivers ratrunning through their neighbourhoods, or want to let their kids walk or cycle to school without fear of them being knocked over.

His support increased.

Susan Hall said this election was a referendum on ULEZ. Since Khan has won, like Brexit I think we can call that issue completely settled.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,753

Does that telephone work?

Can you get Agatha Christie on the other end of it?

“Hello? Murder in the West Midlands was utterly gripping.”
    Just found out that it does work , but I can only call reception

Juan down there was keen to find out how he could help

I'll leave it alone from now on!
    Perhaps just say, "I'm on holiday from the Post Office, so am not accepting packages."
  • Options
    The Tories can win in London. But not until they actually understand what Londoners actually want.
  • Options
    Scrapping HS2 was a terrible decision, but not sure how it affected Andy Street's popularity since the scheme is still going to B'ham.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

I really do wonder about Mr C-H in Edinburgh.
  • Options

Not 27 June? 👍
    4th July. 😇
    "We will not go quietly into the night!"
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471
    edited May 4

Had many nice days in Inverness including our first night, plus the location for our Loch Ness private hire cabin cruising which created lots of memories for our children and recently our grandchildren

IMHO next election date 14th November or 12th December
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,076

Inverness has a pedestrianised High Street. Khan would feel right at home.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717

DougSeal said:

LibDem win by 2 votes in May '97 became LibDem win by 21,556 at the Nov '97 by-election!
    I was there. It was one hell of a party.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scrapping HS2 was a terrible decision, but not sure how it affected Andy Street's popularity since the scheme is still going to B'ham.

But Brum might actually want to be connected to places other than London, to the standards which London expects as of right.
  • Options
    For me Khan's biggest failure was not pedestrianising Oxford Street.
This discussion has been closed.