Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Are the SNP too wee, too poor, too stupid to fight an election? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,696
edited July 2023 in General
Are the SNP too wee, too poor, too stupid to fight an election? – politicalbetting.com

Electoral Commission figures show the SNP took £4,000 in donations in the first quarter of 2023. Both Scottish Labour and the Scottish Lib Dems registered more than £200,000. https://t.co/cqrRVK2F2o

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,550
    Kick Australia out of the Commonwealth.

Fucking disgrace we share a monarch with them.

Ban them from putting the Union Jack on their flag.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2023
    2nd ball after lunch....Stokes...6.....
  • Options
    More than one thing can be true at the same time.

Australia were unsporting not to withdraw that appeal.

Bairstow was a muppet for allowing it to happen.
  • Options
    Gets better.

Steve Smith drops a Stokes sitter.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Stokes appears to be trying to do it in 6's.

DROPPPPPED....LOL.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973

Kick Australia out of the Commonwealth.

Fucking disgrace we share a monarch with them.

Ban them from putting the Union Jack on their flag.

Isn’t it more insulting for them that their head of State is British and they have our flag on our flag. Nice reminder to them that they aren’t a real country.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,246
    I thought that counts as a catch, Glenn.
  • Options
    Stokes doesn't need to try and hit every ball for 6.
  • Options
    On topic, I suppose they could always flog the campervan if they wanted to fund a few leaflets.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited July 2023
    F1 on the TV, Cricket on the laptop, the iPad switching between here & a motorsport forum, and the phone for the F1 live timing. Should be a fun next couple of hours!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

F1 on the TV, Cricket on the laptop, the iPad switching between here & a motorsport forum, and the phone for the F1 live timing. Should be a fun next couple of hours!

Now you have jinxed it....
  • Options

Gets better.

Steve Smith drops a Stokes sitter.

He probably needs to find something to make his hands a bit more grippy, maybe something like sandpaper.
  • Options
    I wonder if it would be better to have sent out Robinson and just told him to takes swipes and see if can get a very quick 30-40.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Well.

Suella Braverman’s rhetoric about child sexual abuse and grooming gangs has cost her the support of an influential Conservative backer, Steve Baker, in a sign her hardline approach to culture war issues could hamper her chances of becoming Tory leader.

Baker, a Tory MP on the Brexiter right of the party, who is now a Northern Ireland minister, was Braverman’s de facto campaign manager when she stood to succeed Boris Johnson as Conservative leader and prime minister last summer.

While Braverman, now the home secretary, was eliminated in the second round of MPs’ voting, her candidacy was seen as a marker for a possible future contest, one likely if the Conservatives lose the next general election.

However, it is understood Baker has decided he would not back Braverman again because of serious concerns over the way she has approached the issue of so-called grooming gangs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/02/steve-baker-withdraws-support-for-suella-braverman-over-grooming-gangs-rhetoric-says-ally
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993

I wonder if it would be better to have sent out Robinson and just told him to takes swipes and see if can get a very quick 30-40.

On the other hand.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    One handed six will do.
  • Options
    Superman Stokes.
  • Options
    Remember its the hope that kills you.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,917
    edited July 2023
    No they are not, but the low level of donations does seem remarkable to me - with so many Indy backers even with some being a bit annoyed with the SNP at present it seems strange.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,801

If Australia win by 15 runs or less it'll arguably be because of Lyon's decision to bat with a serious injury.
  • Options
    Trying to knock off 120 in sixes is pretty high risk, but nothing to lose I guess since the rest won't last tucking away for singles.
  • Options

True but before play this morning I thought it would be a damp squib and over before lunch but even if we lose it’s been a blinder and sets it up nicely for the rest of a series more than if we had just failed meekly this morning.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

If Australia win by 15 runs or less it'll arguably be because of Lyon's decision to bat with a serious injury.
    Where as England lost the first test by doing the opposite. I still can't work out the thinking, if they wanted to hurry the game along, why they didn't just say play T20 cricket, just swipe at everything, try and get 30-40-50 in a few overs.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    A more interesting question for me is who the hell has donated £200,000 to the "Scottish" Lib Dems whose number of MSPs (4) does not even constitute an official party in Holyrood. I suppose the truth is that the "Scottish" unionist parties are primarily funded from England.

I remind anyone who might be inclined to object to my use of inverted commas around "Scottish" that none of the 3 unionist parties are recognised as parties by the electoral commission. They are branch offices pretending to be something else (notable that none of the 3 ruling elements of these parties call themselves English Labour Party etc. etc.)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

Andy_JS said:

Where as England lost the first test by doing the opposite. I still can't work out the thinking, if they wanted to hurry the game along, why they didn't just say play T20 cricket, just swipe at everything, try and get 30-40-50 in a few overs.
    They wanted a few overs at them before the close of play. If they had picked up a couple everyone would have said how clever.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    kle4 said:

No they are not, but the low level of donations does seem remarkable to me - with so many Indy backers even with some being a bit annoyed with the SNP at present it seems strange.

Would you hand over cash to that bunch of grifters, £660K missing , accounts a disaster with no idea how much money they received or where it went etc. People have finally understood they are at it, their goose is cooked.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

They wanted a few overs at them before the close of play. If they had picked up a couple everyone would have said how clever.
    I understand that. But I think they got quite a few overs. I don't think another 3 overs of T20 would have made much difference on getting overs during that tricky period.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    JPJ2 said:

A more interesting question for me is who the hell has donated £200,000 to the "Scottish" Lib Dems whose number of MSPs (4) does not even constitute an official party in Holyrood. I suppose the truth is that the "Scottish" unionist parties are primarily funded from England.

I remind anyone who might be inclined to object to my use of inverted commas around "Scottish" that none of the 3 unionist parties are recognised as parties by the electoral commission. They are branch offices pretending to be something else (notable that none of the 3 ruling elements of these parties call themselves English Labour Party etc. etc.)

You can find information about donations online. Looks like the Scottish Parliament, some form of short money?

https://search.electoralcommission.org.uk//?currentPage=1&rows=10&query=Scottish Liberal
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    You certainly can't get a decent Winnebago for £4k....
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    @TSE
    Good article, thank you.
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Yes they are all funded from London and are basically English sockpuppet organisations, with lickspittles who are happy to take cash under false pretences.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Would you hand over cash to that bunch of grifters, £660K missing , accounts a disaster with no idea how much money they received or where it went etc. People have finally understood they are at it, their goose is cooked.
    I wouldn't, but it doesn't take many idiots to get more than £4k - people give more than that to far more direct grifters.

That they had to rely on a 6 figure loan from their own chief executive is very telling. That is not what well run organisations do.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    JPJ2 said:

I suspect Reform has plenty of money and wealthy backers and people still give money to the Conservative Party which is an ever greater lost cause.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    malcolmg said:

JPJ2 said:

Yes they are all funded from London and are basically English sockpuppet organisations, with lickspittles who are happy to take cash under false pretences.
    Don’t let the facts, conveniently posted just before your comment, get in the way of a good rant.
  • Options
    Lewis with a penalty already. He’s going to have a long day if that car won’t stay on the track.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited July 2023

Sorry but after Broad did not walk when clearly he hit it (ashes series a few years ago) then england cannot accuse Australia of being unsporting - Broad rightly or wrongly that day set the dial to play by the strict rules and therefore that works both ways occasionally
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Another positive thing is we're back to all 5 days of a test match being usefully employed. A year or two ago many of them were ending on the 4th day.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,373
    edited July 2023
    FPT

Leon said:

Where is the evidence that Sunak is “very intelligent”?

He married the daughter of a billionaire.

You cannot get more very intelligent than that.
    A nice British girl not good enough for him? :lol:
  • Options

Sorry but after Broad did not walk when clearly he hit it (ashes series a few years ago) then england cannot accuse Australia of being unsporting - Broad rightly or wrongly that day set the dial to play by the strict rules and therefore that works both ways occasionally
    Yes, that was far worse than the Bairstow incident today.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Clearly not as you've omitted the real sport this afternoon from The Curragh.

9 go in the Irish Derby, five are trained by Aidan O'Brien and one each by his sons Joseph and Donnacha so it's a bit like the private sweepstakes of old. AUGUSTE RODIN is 3/10 to follow up from Epsom and probably wins - he has a fair bit in hand on WHITE BIRCH and SPREWELL.

Nine means three places so one at a big price to crawl in the frame - the money has come for SAN ANTONIO from 40s to 22s but I'd have a small amount on PROUD AND REGAL at 40s - he's a full to a couple of decent stayers and I'm sure it all happened too quick in the Irish 2000 Guineas last time.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

Who walks when they hit but were not given out?
  • Options
    Super Stokes.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    You could argue every time a batsman nicks the ball and calls for a review hoping that it doesn't show up on snickometer is against the spirit of cricket, but about 90% of international cricketers do it.
  • Options
    If we win this, Stokes’ performance is up there with Botham Headingly ‘81.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

Who walks when they hit but were not given out?
    exactly - but who does not attempt a run out when they can?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

I wouldn't, but it doesn't take many idiots to get more than £4k - people give more than that to far more direct grifters.

That they had to rely on a 6 figure loan from their own chief executive is very telling. That is not what well run organisations do.
    That one was debatable , the treasurer could not work the computer and it was only registered when someone publicised it. Seemingly his wife had no knowledge of it either and purely a coincidence that it matched the price of a well known campervan model.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    edited July 2023
    JPJ2 said:

It is only because of a specific let-out in the electoral legislation, inserted IIRC by the Blair or Cameron administrations, I forget which, that "Scottish Labour" can call itself that on ballot papers at all without breaching the strict rules on party naming. There is no such separate organization for EC purposes - as seen by central HQ's yanking of the chain when Ms Dugdale seemed well on the way to blow party funds on a court case. SLD and SCUP are slightly more within the spirit of the wider legislation, though.

Edit: not at all clear to me how one can be specific about how much £££ Slab do or don't receive, in that context, as for instance stated in the header.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

I've just watched the Bairstow stumping. As a village wicketkeeper, I've done that a few times. Nowt wrong with it, it's the batman's one job to not chuck his wicket away cheaply.

I still think he ought not to have been out.
    He clearly grounded his foot, having returned to his ground, didn’t he (?) - and looked back at it to confirm before stepping away again.

Technically, he can be said to have started a run, and then returned to his ground ?

30.1.2 However, a batter shall not be considered to be out of his/her ground if, in running or diving towards his/her ground and beyond, and having grounded some part of his/her person or bat beyond the popping crease, there is subsequent loss of contact between the ground and any part of his/her person or bat, or between the bat and person.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I'll have backed an 11/2 winner to clear some of my Ascot losses.

Come along, Mr Stokes, Papa needs a new pair of everything !!
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

JPJ2 said:

Don’t let the facts, conveniently posted just before your comment, get in the way of a good rant.
    via Russia as well in many cases. Tories just gotta grift.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sandpit said:

The downside, is that we’ll never hear the end of it from @Leon
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I've just watched the Bairstow stumping. As a village wicketkeeper, I've done that a few times. Nowt wrong with it, it's the batman's one job to not chuck his wicket away cheaply.

He clearly grounded his foot, having returned to his ground, didn’t he (?) - and looked back at it to confirm before stepping away again.

Technically, he can be said to have started a run, and then returned to his ground ?

30.1.2 However, a batter shall not be considered to be out of his/her ground if, in running or diving towards his/her ground and beyond, and having grounded some part of his/her person or bat beyond the popping crease, there is subsequent loss of contact between the ground and any part of his/her person or bat, or between the bat and person.
    I think it was clever keeping, Bairstow made it easy and the umpires agreed. It'll be argued for years!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

stodge said:

Sandpit said:

A small price to pay, in these particular circumstances.
    It’s not as though we will ever hear the end of anything else from him, either.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114
    Is Rishi Sunak on his way to Lord's yet?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited July 2023
    If being 'intellectually dead from the neck up' disqualified people from winning at next general election, I'm afraid
    virtually our whole political class would face the chop.

We'd end up with almost no MPs at all and tumbleweed blowing through the Chamber in 2025.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

stodge said:

Sandpit said:

He'll claim England only won because of his attendance.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Sandpit said:

stodge said:

Sandpit said:

He'll claim England only won because of his attendance.
    Are we sure Stokes isn't an alien ;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Nigelb said:

I think it was clever keeping, Bairstow made it easy and the umpires agreed. It'll be argued for years!
    It was poor umpiring, IMO, and pretty pathetic from the keeper.
    No doubt it will be argued over, but the facts look quite plain to me - unless you can point out how I’m misinterpreting the laws ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It was poor umpiring, IMO, and pretty pathetic from the keeper.
    No doubt it will be argued over, but the facts look quite plain to me - unless you can point out how I’m misinterpreting the laws ?
    I can't fault your logic or interpretation. It's what makes Test Cricket so good, so human, even with all the cameras and sensors.
  • Options
    First 150+ ever made by a number 6 in the fourth innings of a test.
  • Options
    Why light tanks aren’t really a thing.

Ukrainian commander warns French tanks are inadequate for counteroffensive
    https://www.euronews.com/2023/07/02/ukrainian-commander-warns-french-tanks-are-inadequate-for-counteroffensive
    …"They are used for supporting fire, because of their light armour," he said. "Their armament is good, their observation instruments are very good. But unfortunately it's light armour, which makes them unsuitable."

In January, French President Emmanuel Macron promised the delivery of these highly mobile reconnaissance armoured vehicles on wheels, equipped with a formidable 105mm cannon. Four months later, they were already in service on the front line, according to the Ukrainian government.

But in this high-intensity war marked by constant heavy artillery strikes, their thin armour is proving to be a major weakness, according to Major Spartanets.

"There have been cases where a 152mm shell has exploded nearby and the shrapnel has pierced the vehicle," noted the 34-year-old officer, who said this has already resulted in the death of the crew on one occasion.

"A shell exploded next to the vehicle, the fragments pierced the armour and the stock of ammunition (on board) was detonated", says the Ukrainian officer. "The crew of four, unfortunately, remained inside; they were killed in the armoured vehicle."…
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Will 11 runs, of a 111 partnership, be something of a record?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Spanish_general_election

Three more Spanish polls today, one shows the race quite close with s tightening lead for the right of just 3% but the other two see healthy larger leads. With 3 weeks to the poll it could still go either way.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    Can we stop talking about SNP donations as cash? That's not £4k, its 4% of their next motorhome.
  • Options
    "Statement from the MCC: “After this morning’s play, emotions were running high, and words were unfortunately exchanged with some of the Australian team, by a small number of Members.

"We have unreservedly apologised to the Australian Team and will deal with any Member who has not maintained the standard we expect through our disciplinary processes.

"It was not necessary to eject anyone from the ground and I am pleased to say that there was no repeat of this as the players resumed the field for this afternoon.""

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/65033457
  • Options
    Bollocks.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,476

Well.

Suella Braverman’s rhetoric about child sexual abuse and grooming gangs has cost her the support of an influential Conservative backer, Steve Baker, in a sign her hardline approach to culture war issues could hamper her chances of becoming Tory leader.

Baker, a Tory MP on the Brexiter right of the party, who is now a Northern Ireland minister, was Braverman’s de facto campaign manager when she stood to succeed Boris Johnson as Conservative leader and prime minister last summer.

While Braverman, now the home secretary, was eliminated in the second round of MPs’ voting, her candidacy was seen as a marker for a possible future contest, one likely if the Conservatives lose the next general election.

However, it is understood Baker has decided he would not back Braverman again because of serious concerns over the way she has approached the issue of so-called grooming gangs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/02/steve-baker-withdraws-support-for-suella-braverman-over-grooming-gangs-rhetoric-says-ally

Not that Steve Baker fancies the top job himself?
  • Options
    Its the hope that kills you....
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,908
    Arse
  • Options

Well.

Not that Steve Baker fancies the top job himself?
    He's losing his seat whatever happens.
  • Options
    Damn.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Shit
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Fun while it lasted. Can't say the same about this government of course.

Broad bash to try to unsettle the Aussies?
  • Options
    If he could have got it down to 40, it was on.
  • Options
    There's glory to be had by this tail end.
  • Options
    Feck!
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,908
    edited July 2023

I reckon they'll get 10 more max.
  • Options

Quite possibly, but they're under no pressure. No one expects them to do it.
  • Options

Optimistic.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

It's 3 number 11s! They can't bat in a sensible manner for 70 runs, so they need to swing, be lucky, and hope the Aussies bowl and field very poorly.

Going at 2-3 an over wont' cut it, even though there is technically time.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,037
    That’s it, I fear!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I don't think you can play Broad, Anderson, Robinson, Tongue....that tail-end is far too long. Its 4 rabbits.

If it had been say Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson. Stokes wouldn't have had to hide Ali and Woakes away from the bowling, thus the pressure would have really been Australia.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Robinson really didn't need to do that. He should have left it to Broad who has his eye in (sort of).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's 3 number 11s! They can't bat in a sensible manner for 70 runs, so they need to swing, be lucky, and hope the Aussies bowl and field very poorly.
    I was typing about hope. But Robinson just ripped the words from my mouth!
  • Options
    Two entertaining matches, but still going to be 2-0 - a whitewash not out of the question. Statisticians won't be able to tell it was an entertaining series.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Two entertaining matches, but still going to be 2-0 - a whitewash not out of the question. Statisticians won't be able to tell it was an entertaining series.

Yup, losing is losing.
  • Options
    I am now running the ECB's social media accounts.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Been out today. Have I missed much?
  • Options
    And that ends one of the greatest knocks in Tests, and not even Ben Stokes best.

Like imagine playing that innings and it not being your best in Test cricket.

https://twitter.com/ajarrodkimber/status/1675508640193601541
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,280
    Rats. I nearly cashed out. But held on...
  • Options
    There's a lot of bat wafting going on.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Been out today. Have I missed much?

Same old Arsenal Aussies, always cheating.
  • Options
    Stokes has got more than 50% of England's runs.
  • Options
    Might not even make 2 runs after Stokes went - try not to make it too obvious he was carrying things today lads!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,037
    Broad’s gone now. Tongue and Anderson to get 69 between them.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I fear the first match will be as close as the series gets - needed to win that one to get under the Aussie's skin.

Still, imagine the hilarity if Anderson nurdled his way to a 50 and shocked the world.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,209
    It was gone about 20 to 30 mins before Stokes got out. We had stopped scoring, and when you are not scoring that is when wickets happen.
This discussion has been closed.