Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Are the SNP too wee, too poor, too stupid to fight an election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,631
    Verstappen is beyond arrogant. 24s ahead, demands they pit him so he can go for fastest lap, team does so and then he's weaving around on the penultimate lap with LeClerc only a few seconds behind. And then of course sets the fastest lap on the final lap.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    Third highest score was 18. Fourth 11.
    One other contribution, or even two little ones and it would have been so different.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    I fear for Aggers safety if he asks more stupid questions of England players in the post match inteview....
    Controversial opinion. Jimmy dropped from the team for the next match.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,910
    dixiedean said:

M6 closed both ways near Preston after a milk tanker crashes through central reservation.
    No point crying over it, mind.

Ice cream van crashed into the wreckage, police are handing out cones.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,426

Just in time for a green seamer at Headingley...
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132
    Digging in for the draw now methinks.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,367

Rotated.

Not dropped.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,834

Not controversial. If we keep getting these style of pitches, he is not the man.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,337
    edited July 2023

Yep. Leon could be watching the final moments of James Anderson's Test career.

Verstappen is beyond arrogant. 24s ahead, demands they pit him so he can go for fastest lap, team does so and then he's weaving around on the penultimate lap with LeClerc only a few seconds behind. And then of course sets the fastest lap on the final lap.

Max Verstappen might be an arrogant prick but he’s still more likeable than this Australian team.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,432

Well.

Suella Braverman’s rhetoric about child sexual abuse and grooming gangs has cost her the support of an influential Conservative backer, Steve Baker, in a sign her hardline approach to culture war issues could hamper her chances of becoming Tory leader.

Baker, a Tory MP on the Brexiter right of the party, who is now a Northern Ireland minister, was Braverman’s de facto campaign manager when she stood to succeed Boris Johnson as Conservative leader and prime minister last summer.

While Braverman, now the home secretary, was eliminated in the second round of MPs’ voting, her candidacy was seen as a marker for a possible future contest, one likely if the Conservatives lose the next general election.

However, it is understood Baker has decided he would not back Braverman again because of serious concerns over the way she has approached the issue of so-called grooming gangs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/02/steve-baker-withdraws-support-for-suella-braverman-over-grooming-gangs-rhetoric-says-ally

It’s good to see his journey to sanity but after the next election he will simply be another unemployed former MP.
    dixiedean said:

M6 closed both ways near Preston after a milk tanker crashes through central reservation.
    No point crying over it, mind.

Udder disgrace.

Max Verstappen might be an arrogant prick but he’s still more likeable than this Australian team.
    So how do they compare to Pineapple on Pizza or Radiohead.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,972
    Nigelb said:

Why light tanks aren’t really a thing.

Ukrainian commander warns French tanks are inadequate for counteroffensive
    https://www.euronews.com/2023/07/02/ukrainian-commander-warns-french-tanks-are-inadequate-for-counteroffensive
    …"They are used for supporting fire, because of their light armour," he said. "Their armament is good, their observation instruments are very good. But unfortunately it's light armour, which makes them unsuitable."

In January, French President Emmanuel Macron promised the delivery of these highly mobile reconnaissance armoured vehicles on wheels, equipped with a formidable 105mm cannon. Four months later, they were already in service on the front line, according to the Ukrainian government.

But in this high-intensity war marked by constant heavy artillery strikes, their thin armour is proving to be a major weakness, according to Major Spartanets.

"There have been cases where a 152mm shell has exploded nearby and the shrapnel has pierced the vehicle," noted the 34-year-old officer, who said this has already resulted in the death of the crew on one occasion.

"A shell exploded next to the vehicle, the fragments pierced the armour and the stock of ammunition (on board) was detonated", says the Ukrainian officer. "The crew of four, unfortunately, remained inside; they were killed in the armoured vehicle."…

Light tanks (see also the new M10 Booker) aren't meant to fight tanks nor artillery. They support infantry against infantry or act as reconnaissance: identify the target and report back (the most dangerous man on the battlefield is a man with binoculars, a radio, and a map). If you're going up against tanks or artillery, you need a MBT
    edited July 2023
    Taz said:

That should be the punishment for the French rioters....being locked in a room with the Australian cricket team with Radiohead pumped through the speakers and only food being pineapple pizza.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,130
    edited July 2023

Australia are the Red Bull of cricket. Undoubtedly talented, but make a point of being total w@nkers even when they win.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    £106 million staked on this match so far with BE.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.215397099
    Taz said:

Radiohead have two good tracks, so this Aussie team is worse than Max Verstappen and pineapple on pizza.
    edited July 2023
    Sandpit said:

Australia are the Red Bull of cricket. Undoubtedly talented, but make a point of being total w@nkers even when they win.
    Maybe they haven't forgotten about Stuart Broad's refusal to walk when he edged to slip a few years ago.
    edited July 2023
    In the Tour de Drugs, seems like a small number of them have much better drugs than the others this year.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    Taz said:

Well.

Suella Braverman’s rhetoric about child sexual abuse and grooming gangs has cost her the support of an influential Conservative backer, Steve Baker, in a sign her hardline approach to culture war issues could hamper her chances of becoming Tory leader.

Baker, a Tory MP on the Brexiter right of the party, who is now a Northern Ireland minister, was Braverman’s de facto campaign manager when she stood to succeed Boris Johnson as Conservative leader and prime minister last summer.

While Braverman, now the home secretary, was eliminated in the second round of MPs’ voting, her candidacy was seen as a marker for a possible future contest, one likely if the Conservatives lose the next general election.

However, it is understood Baker has decided he would not back Braverman again because of serious concerns over the way she has approached the issue of so-called grooming gangs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/02/steve-baker-withdraws-support-for-suella-braverman-over-grooming-gangs-rhetoric-says-ally

It’s good to see his journey to sanity but after the next election he will simply be another unemployed former MP.
    Good afternoon

Time for many more conservative mps to follow Baker's example

It will not save them but it is the only path to sanity in the party

In the Tour de Drugs, seems like a small number of them have much better drugs than the others this year.

What's the potion of choice these days?
    edited July 2023

What's the potion of choice these days?
    From my limited knowledge, my understanding now is the top drugs cheats now have custom compounds made just for them. It obviously makes discovery much harder, but they are also better tuned to the individual / their sport.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,834
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Maybe they haven't forgotten about Stuart Broad's refusal to walk when he edged to slip a few years ago.
    Sorry, that’s bullshit. He didn’t refuse to walk. The Aussies appealed, the umpire said not out. That he had hit the ball is irrelevant. Most cricketers at test level don’t walk.
    edited July 2023

Sandpit said:

Which reminds me.

I've become a member of Just Stop Oil.

I'll be protesting at Silverstone and attacking Max Verstappen as the face of F1.

My membership of Just Stop Oil will end after the British Grand Prix.
    The reaction of the F1 forums, to the suspended sentences given to the soap dodgers from last year, suggests that any protest this year will be “dealt with internally”.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,170
    It's definitely not possible. No way.

That's why I tuned out.

I will return in an hour to prove myself right.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Pro rata they are the most tested demographic in the sporting world

https://lanternerouge.com/2023/03/26/how-clean-is-cycling-analysing-the-anti-doping-fight/

Plus I can't remember where but saw a persuasive piece the other day pointing out that Lance at peak EPO was a fat slob because he didn't need not to be. Vingegaard is not a fat slob, has the benefit of a 1/4 century marginal gains in training technique and bike design, and is doing about the same times. whereas with a decent helping of EPO you'd expect 10% gains.
    Pro_Rata said:

That's why I tuned out.

Not worth the wait
    edited July 2023
    You can't keep losing your last 4 wickets for 20 and be competitive.
    No argument with that one. Two very close Test matches, but all the record books will see is the result.
    Pro_Rata said:

That's why I tuned out.

Return in 2 minutes. It’s over !
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,170

Pro_Rata said:

That's why I tuned out.

Not worth the wait
    I didn't get out of the room.

You can't keep losing your last 4 wickets for 20 and be competitive.

We need to be able to bat deep…
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,749

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Sorry, that’s bullshit. He didn’t refuse to walk. The Aussies appealed, the umpire said not out. That he had hit the ball is irrelevant. Most cricketers at test level don’t walk.
    its not BS - its called playing by the rules - you cannot pick and choose who is "cheating" or "unsportsmanlike" when Broad did that - fine but then dont whinge when you get it back (like today)
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    Andrew Strauss basically saying they let the riff raff in today.
    tlg86 said:

Well we know Leon is, but bit harsh on the rest of the crowd.
    edited July 2023

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

I think that incident was less sportsmanlike than what happened today with Bairstow.
    The dead ball law is pretty dubious. I used to hate trying to work out when the ball was dead. Bairstow was perhaps a bit careless but he clearly wasn’t attempting a run.

Roles reversed, and Sky would laying into England as they did in 2008 for this incident

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R3bOlo6Enlg&pp=ygUiRW5nbGFuZCB2IG5ldyB6ZWFsYW5kIDIwMDggcnVuIG91dA==
    edited July 2023
    tlg86 said:

The dead ball law is pretty dubious. I used to hate trying to work out when the ball was dead. Bairstow was perhaps a bit careless but he clearly wasn’t attempting a run.

Roles reversed, and Sky would laying into England as they did in 2008 for this incident

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R3bOlo6Enlg&pp=ygUiRW5nbGFuZCB2IG5ldyB6ZWFsYW5kIDIwMDggcnVuIG91dA==

You don't need to be attempting a run in order to be stumped. Also you don't need to be attempting a run for a run out either, as long as it isn't a no ball. Sometimes a short leg fielder runs out the batsman even if he isn't trying to run.
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

You don't need to be attempting a run in order to be stumped. He was stumped, not run out.
    Well that’s a ridiculous decision. Stumped with the keeper standing back is a joke.
  • Crowd booing man of the match not cool.

Crowd booing man of the match not cool.

Should have been given to Stokes.
  • tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

You don't need to be attempting a run in order to be stumped. He was stumped, not run out.
    Well that’s a ridiculous decision. Stumped with the keeper standing back is a joke.
    Bairstow was an arse wandering about. It's contentious, but he got himself out.
  • tlg86 said:

Crowd booing man of the match not cool.

Should have been given to Stokes.
    But it wasn't.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

You don't need to be attempting a run in order to be stumped. Also you don't need to be attempting a run for a run out either, as long as it isn't a no ball.
    The ball wasn’t dead. If that hadn’t happened Bairstow would have been able to give Stokes enough support to have made up the missing 40 or so runs.
    Bring back Foakes.
    I’d suggest the Aussie batsman don’t back up at the non-strikers end.
    Did the third umpire check for a no ball with the Bairstow dismissal? Because you can't be stumped off a no ball, and also can't be run out unless you're attempting to run if it is a no ball.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,026
    Yes, cheating Aussies, to be expected, but we just weren't good enough.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Another day of SportBetting.com

*sigh!*

Puts on hat and coat...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    Yes, with the SNP's financial problems and Yousaf's unpopularity it could well be Labour gains in Scotland which gives Starmer a narrow UK majority overall. Even if England alone gives no party a majority
  • tlg86 said:

All teams should put both batsman under pressure when the ball is live. Give them a warning by all means, but you don't have to.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    tlg86 said:

Carey threw the ball back to the stumps when Bairstow was in his ground. It wasn't a reverse mankad.

Kick Australia out of the Commonwealth.

Fucking disgrace we share a monarch with them.

Ban them from putting the Union Jack on their flag.

Utter rubbish, the King is as much King of Australia as King of the UK. Both are Commonwealth realms

Well.

As Baker will almost certainly lose his marginal Wycombe seat to Labour at the general election I doubt Suella cares.

By the time she likely runs for Tory Leader of the Opposition, Baker will be a very ex MP and not even able to vote in the MP rounds
    HYUFD said:

Utter rubbish, the King is as much King of Australia as King of the UK. Both are Commonwealth realms
    Your treasonous words will not be forgotten.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,972
    HYUFD said:

Well.

As Baker will almost certainly lose his marginal Wycombe seat to Labour at the general election I doubt Suella cares.

By the time she likely runs for Tory Leader of the Opposition, Baker will be a very ex MP and not even able to vote in the MP rounds
    Eh? Wycombe is not a marginal seat by any standards, despite a relatively large Muslim community (which historically splits fairly evenly between Tory and Labour), it is a rock solid seat. If you lose Wycombe you lose most of the Home Counties.

*sigh!*

Puts on hat and coat...

Today it is cricket and F1. We are truly blessed. Now excuse me while I tear my own face off. :)
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

Eh? Wycombe is not a marginal seat by any standards, despite a relatively large Muslim community (which historically splits fairly evenly between Tory and Labour), it is a rock solid seat. If you lose Wycombe you lose most of the Home Counties.
    Eh? Wycombe is only 43rd on the Labour target list.

Sunak could still win most seats and lose Wycombe
    https://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/labour
  • HYUFD said:

He the king, not my king🤣😁
    edited July 2023
    tlg86 said:

Into the Long Room?
    edited July 2023
    Fair to say a few of the members at Lords aren’t happy

https://twitter.com/wwos/status/1675489170100482049?s=20

One man in particular appears to be suggesting that perhaps the Australians might have cheated. I think he might have also had one or two large glasses of fizz.
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

More treasonous being rude about any of the realms of his Majesty
    viewcode said:

*sigh!*

Puts on hat and coat...

Today it is cricket and F1. We are truly blessed. Now excuse me while I tear my own face off. :)
    Next weekend has an Ashes test, the British F1 Grand Prix, and Wimbledon.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More treason being rude about any of the realms of his Majesty
    I don't think Chaz is going to arrest us.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,851
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

I think that is what young HY is suggesting, Mr Cicero. When Baker loses High Wycombe, the Conservatives lose most of the Home Counties as well. Greatly deserved, of course. I would not quibble with that. Moreover, young HY is well attuned to the inner workngs of the Conservative Party, so no doubt he has confidential inside information about that as well.

And another thought. If there is indeed a large Muslim vote in High Wycombe, does that more than cancel out the Hindu Conservative vote?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Offences constituting high treason include plotting the murder of the sovereign; committing adultery with the sovereign's consort, with the sovereign's eldest unmarried daughter, or with the wife of the heir to the throne; levying war against the sovereign and adhering to the sovereign's enemies, giving them aid or comfort; and attempting to undermine the lawfully established line of succession. Several other crimes have historically been categorised as high treason, including counterfeiting money and being a Catholic priest."

From Wiki. I'm not at all sure which one HYUFD thinks TSE has been up, or down, to.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    ClippP said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

I think that is what young HY is suggesting, Mr Cicero. When Baker loses High Wycombe, the Conservatives lose most of the Home Counties as well. Greatly deserved, of course. I would not quibble with that. Moreover, young HY is well attuned to the inner workngs of the Conservative Party, so no doubt he has confidential inside information about that as well.

And another thought. If there is indeed a large Muslim vote in High Wycombe, does that more than cancel out the Hindu Conservative vote?
    What I want to know about are the Jedi Knights and Plymouth Brethren votes.
    edited July 2023

viewcode said:

*sigh!*

Puts on hat and coat...

Oh. Good. That makes me feel so much better. :lol:
    edited July 2023
    Its a good job the French don't play cricket, if the same happened at the Paris Oval, the members would now be outside torching the Australian bus.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,413

Unless they prepare a pitch for him, he should be.
  • HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

Wycombe is absolutely a marginal nowadays. Last time out Baker held on by about 8%. In any sort of a Lab victory it would almost certainly fall. So if there is a post-GE vacancy then Baker probably won't be around
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Country before king, for anyone with even half a brain.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,899
    I didn't realise this fact:

"England captain Ben Stokes on Sunday created history by smashing most sixes in a Test innings on English soil. The 32-year-old achieved the feat by slamming nine sixes in England's second innings in the Lord's Ashes Test."

https://inshorts.com/en/news/ben-stokes-creates-history-smashes-most-sixes-in-a-test-innings-in-england-1688311473078
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    Ukraine is forecasting “stormy” weather in Crimea.

https://twitter.com/defenceu/status/1675520563073220610
    edited July 2023

tlg86 said:

All teams should put both batsman under pressure when the ball is live. Give them a warning by all means, but you don't have to.
    In Bairstow’s case, the ball was dead, IMO.

In this case, the Aussies were putting the umpire under pressure; he should have resisted.
    Nonetheless, it was a bullshit thing for them to do.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Leon said:

One of the best days of live sport I've ever personally witnessed. And we lost!

Only cricket - maybe only Test cricket - can do that

The endless, relentless booing of the Aussie team had them absolutely rattled. Especially Smith. He looked like he was close to tears at certain points. He dropped catches for a reason

I've seldom seen a hostile crowd turn a game like that

Am now emotionally drained and I've lost my voice, but I was there at Lord's when Stokes hit three consecutive sixes to make a century, in the Ashes. Heh. Magical

If the booing worked you lot obviously failed to keep it up as they got their act together after lunch!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Can't stand splitters myself

The Orkney Islands could change their status in the UK or even become a self-governing territory of Norway under new proposals.

A motion will go before the council next week to investigate "alternative forms of governance".

Council leader James Stockan said Orkney does not get fair funding with its current relationship within the UK.

He wants to look at Crown Dependencies like the Channel Islands and overseas territories like the Falkland Islands.

He suggested another possible future could be like the Faroe Islands - which is a self-governing territory of Denmark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-66066448

Crimean storms are so unfortunate these days.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,977
    edited July 2023
    ICYMI a potted bio of spin doctor George Birnbaum, "one of the godfathers of modern populism".

The man who helped Orban and Netanyahu rise to power
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66065550
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,582
    Leon said:

"England captain Ben Stokes on Sunday created history by smashing most sixes in a Test innings on English soil. The 32-year-old achieved the feat by slamming nine sixes in England's second innings in the Lord's Ashes Test."

https://inshorts.com/en/news/ben-stokes-creates-history-smashes-most-sixes-in-a-test-innings-in-england-1688311473078

Not bad for someone whose status as an international batsman was being questioned only the day before.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,845
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Offences constituting high treason include plotting the murder of the sovereign; committing adultery with the sovereign's consort, with the sovereign's eldest unmarried daughter, or with the wife of the heir to the throne; levying war against the sovereign and adhering to the sovereign's enemies, giving them aid or comfort; and attempting to undermine the lawfully established line of succession. Several other crimes have historically been categorised as high treason, including counterfeiting money and being a Catholic priest."

From Wiki. I'm not at all sure which one HYUFD thinks TSE has been up, or down, to.
    "committing adultery with the sovereign's consort"

So that means that the king is guilty of high treason.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

One of the best days of live sport I've ever personally witnessed. And we lost!

Only cricket - maybe only Test cricket - can do that

The endless, relentless booing of the Aussie team had them absolutely rattled. Especially Smith. He looked like he was close to tears at certain points. He dropped catches for a reason

I've seldom seen a hostile crowd turn a game like that

Am now emotionally drained and I've lost my voice, but I was there at Lord's when Stokes hit three consecutive sixes to make a century, in the Ashes. Heh. Magical

If the booing worked you lot obviously failed to keep it up as they got their act together after lunch!
    They really didn’t. That’s when they dropped stuff

They were deeply unnerved until Stokes got out and even then they looked unconfident. The barracking was vicious. I’ve been to drunken angry Ashes matches at Headingley and this was more intense. Genuine fury

Superb!
    Sandpit said:

Doesn’t it lie in a Stormshadow ?

Leon said:

Not bad for someone whose status as an international batsman was being questioned only the day before.
    Yes. That insane guardian cricket writer. Twat

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, as Andrew Parker Bowles was never King.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The 2 are interchangeable. We live in the United KINGDOM
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

viewcode said:

*sigh!*

Puts on hat and coat...

And stages 8 and 9 including Le Puy de Dôme on the Sunday
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,507
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Doesn’t it lie in a Stormshadow ?
    Google tells me it's to be calm and warm the next few days.

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Well.

Aren't boundary changes going to turn Wycombe into a Labour seat without any voters changing their mind?
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Crawler.
  • HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, as Andrew Parker Bowles was never King.
    But Chaz committed adultery, so one rule for us, but not for him?

HYUFD said:

He the king, not my king🤣😁
    Certainly not King of Scotland and not going to be either as he is scared, the people are sovereign in Scotland.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

NUTTER and thick with it.
This discussion has been closed.