Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If BoJo got re-elected would the 90 day suspension apply? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited June 2023 in General
imageIf BoJo got re-elected would the 90 day suspension apply? – politicalbetting.com

I am sure that there is a very simple answer to this but in the very unlikely event of Johnson seeking to become an MP again I wonder whether the 90 day suspension he received would still be valid? As we all know he managed to avoid the action last time by resigning straight away.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197
    Boris isn't coming back.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    Would the suspension matter? Being reelected would be a justified sinner type situation.

He could just go and write DM columns and go on hols for three months. The neighbouring MPs would do the work.
  • Options
    Pubman new CPI forecast Dec 2023 = 6%.

Rishi = FAIL
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    That's an interesting question, and as not-a-lawyer, I'd *guess* it may depend on whether the suspension is on *him* or his post as MP.

However, I'd argue that the suspension is known about by the voters. If they vote him in, in spite of the suspension, I'd argue it should not be served.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    I think the answer would be no. It would be the same if an MP got recalled and then won the by election.
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,085
    edited June 2023
    If enough idiots vote for him and he gets another MP gig, then surely the people have spoken/democracy in action, blah, blah, blah.
    But he ain't getting back in. He's done. Dusted. Labour are going to form the next government and Johnson will be irrelevant.

I've asked the following question many times, but never get an answer. Who do PB Tories actually want to lead the party?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480
    The answer is no.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,979
    A better question, from a betting perspective anyway, might be how long after being elected would BoZo find himself in contempt of Parliament again?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343

That's an interesting question, and as not-a-lawyer, I'd *guess* it may depend on whether the suspension is on *him* or his post as MP.

However, I'd argue that the suspension is known about by the voters. If they vote him in, in spite of the suspension, I'd argue it should not be served.

I think that's right, and imposing it, even if legal, would actually be counter-productive. If I voted for someone, they were elected, and his opponents then found a way to keep him from representing me for 3 months, I'd be properly pissed off and would certainly vote for him again.
  • Options

I've asked the following question many times, but never get an answer. Who do PB Tories actually want to lead the party?

Who will still be standing after the next election?
  • Options

If I voted for someone, they were elected, and his opponents then found a way to keep him from representing me for 3 months, I'd be properly pissed off and would certainly vote for him again.

The idea that BoZo actually represents his constituents is amusing.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

If enough idiots vote for him and he gets another MP gig, then surely the people have spoken/democracy in action, blah, blah, blah.
    But he ain't getting back in. He's done. Dusted. Labour are going to form the next government and Johnson will be irrelevant.

Good morning

For now Sunak, and post the election Penny Mordaunt possibly but would need to see how many conservative mps are available

And for the record Sunak should have voted for the privileges committee rather than abstain under the pretext he was meeting Sweden's PM, and in PR terms it was the wrong decision
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Who will still be standing after the next election?
    Hopefully not many!
  • Options

Good morning

For now Sunak, and post the election Penny Mordaunt possibly but would need to see how many conservative mps are available

And for the record Sunak should have voted for the privileges committee rather than abstain under the pretext he was meeting Sweden's PM, and in PR terms it was the wrong decision
    Why Mordaunt?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

It does rather depend on which PBTories are Real Tories, or a bunch of assorted Libertarians, former Labour voters, disenchanted Cameronians, etc., who therefore don't count.

So far as I can see the only self-certified authentic Tory in the PB village is firmly pro-Johnson. Edit: not because Mr J is any good at being PM; that is not even part of the equation in question; but simply because he will supposedly win elections, which is all that counts to keep the Tories in their Divine Right of Rule over the UK.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

I think that's right, and imposing it, even if legal, would actually be counter-productive. If I voted for someone, they were elected, and his opponents then found a way to keep him from representing me for 3 months, I'd be properly pissed off and would certainly vote for him again.
    He remains banned from the Parliamentary Estate, however, for life !

How does voting by proxy work, since for some reason it was impossible for the Prime Minister?
  • Options
    England and Australia fined 40% of their match fees and penalised 2 ICC World Test Championship points for slow over rates in the last test
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,216

Good morning

The Swedish PM would have understood as well as anyone that Rishi might have to excuse himself for half an hour to pop across the road to vote. Sunak could have left Lee Anderson on entertainment duty.

Meeting the Swedish PM is a very poor excuse for not voting.
  • Options

Good morning

Why Mordaunt?
    She has shown leadership and is very good at the dispatch box

I doubt she is the membership choice but as I said the next leader will only become obvious post GE 24
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Good morning

The Swedish PM would have understood as well as anyone that Rishi might have to excuse himself for half an hour to pop across the road to vote. Sunak could have left Lee Anderson on entertainment duty.

Meeting the Swedish PM is a very poor excuse for not voting.
    I totally agree and he was foolish in ducking it

Even Starmer made it after dashing back from Scotland
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Good morning

Why Mordaunt?

I doubt she is the membership choice but as I said the next leader will only become obvious post GE 24
    I agree that she would be a good LOTO. She speaks well and effectively in the House. Her administrative skills, however, have proven more suspect.
  • Options

Why Mordaunt?

She's not scared of BoZo
  • Options

Good morning

Why Mordaunt?

She did fib a bit to members about LGBT issues, didn't she? And in reality is basically unsound on that front as far as the woke warriors are cocnerned. Bit disqualifying.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

The culture warriors are all #kocksout4kemi and the most of the rest are #precum4penny

Also a few shy Johnson diehards on here who are biding their time.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Good morning

Why Mordaunt?

She did fib a bit to members about LGBT issues, didn't she? And in reality is basically unsound on that front as far as the woke warriors are cocnerned. Bit disqualifying.
    She is in the frame but who knows who will be in the Commons post the next GE
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,478

Good morning

Why Mordaunt?
    Best fit to the specification.

A big enough beast to be plausible.

Distant enough from the heart of government to be a step away from the clustershambles.

Brexitty, so tolerable to the party, but not mad with it.

Enough panache to carry the role off, because the panache of the leader might be all the Conservatives have for a while.

Not sure she's up to being PM, but that probably doesn't matter. It wasn't meant to matter for Starmer. (Though in his case, I reckon he'll be a perfectly adequate PM, just poor at competitive elections.) Her real job will be to create a space where a future Conservative PM might emerge.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Good morning

Why Mordaunt?

She is in the frame but who knows who will be in the Commons post the next GE
    Also if it remains the members or the MPs who choose the leader of the party, too. But that would mean a rule change.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543
    An interesting question. But there can't be a simple answer unless there is a parliamentary precedent - which is unlikely.

The HoC is its own court and cannot be challenged. So if Boris got reelected he would be MP once sworn in, until he wasn't. Until swearing in there isn't an HoC to act. Once the HoC sits it is beyond doubt the question will be raised as a point of order. The Speaker would have to suggest and direct the next steps.

Personally I think the answer would be No, but if, say, a Labour dominated HoC in 2024 wanted to say Yes, they could procedurally manage it (using the same committee as now), and it could not be challenged.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Inflation 8.7%. Core inflation is up to 7.1%, above expectations

Beginning to think these figures are meaningless. Everyone's inflation rate is different. It depends what you buy... or don't buy.
    And above whose expectations.....
    Unless you're arguing that official stats are useless and shouldn't be published, they're the best estimate available of the overall position. If you're talking about individual perception, there's a pretty broad consensus - regardless of political persuasion - that prices are going up rapidly. You can argue that it's not the Tories' fault, but arguing that it's all illusory is Bourbon-scale insouciance.
    FPT

On which, have you seen this? 87.5% inflation for Bourbon biscuits, appropriately enough.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12202445/Taking-biscuit-Price-treats-soars-supermarket.html
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I hesitate to take the side of the former PM but I don't think it should were he to be re-elected.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

An interesting question. But there can't be a simple answer unless there is a parliamentary precedent - which is unlikely.

The HoC is its own court and cannot be challenged. So if Boris got reelected he would be MP once sworn in, until he wasn't. Until swearing in there isn't an HoC to act. Once the HoC sits it is beyond doubt the question will be raised as a point of order. The Speaker would have to suggest and direct the next steps.

Personally I think the answer would be No, but if, say, a Labour dominated HoC in 2024 wanted to say Yes, they could procedurally manage it (using the same committee as now), and it could not be challenged.

Why would Labour want to challenge Johnson's election to the HoC? He will be a thorn in the side of the Conservative leadership. A Labour Government would view him as a welcome distraction.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris craves attention. Whilst it’s necessary to call out his BS, beyond that anything that puts the spotlight on him is playing into his agenda. The Tories need a strategy to make Boris boring, passé and irrelevant.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543
    edited June 2023

algarkirk said:

Why would Labour want to challenge Johnson's election to the HoC? He will be a thorn in the side of the Conservative leadership. A Labour Government would view him as a welcome distraction.
    Yes that's possible but others views may succeed. What is implausible is no-one will ask the question in a formal point of order way.

Study of the Bradlaugh case might produce some sort of precedent, but it needs thought.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Jonathan said:

Boris craves attention. Whilst it’s necessary to call out his BS, beyond that anything that puts the spotlight on him is playing into his agenda. The Tories need a strategy to make Boris boring, passé and irrelevant.

My suggestion is to make him ambassador to Ukraine.

Make him live in central Kyiv.

After all Churchill lived in London during the blitz
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,285

Good morning

Why Mordaunt?

Distant enough from the heart of government to be a step away from the clustershambles.

Enough panache to carry the role off, because the panache of the leader might be all the Conservatives have for a while.

Not sure she's up to being PM, but that probably doesn't matter. It wasn't meant to matter for Starmer. (Though in his case, I reckon he'll be a perfectly adequate PM, just poor at competitive elections.) Her real job will be to create a space where a future Conservative PM might emerge.
    A decent opposition leader can do a lot more than that. If they can tap into public opinion then they can force a change in government policy, especially if they're also pushing at a divide within the government. What they need to be effective in such a role is a very clear story to tell, it needs to be simple and consistent.

In terms of opposition leaders who did this well, you might point to Hague and his opposition to Britain's membership of the Euro. Had he been in favour (and able to carry most of his party with him) then it would have left Labour opponents of Euro membership much more isolated.

Compare and contrast with an opposition leader who wasn't effective in this way - Corbyn. He was entirely unable to provide any clear policy on Brexit, and so became completely irrelevant to that major political debate, which came to be fought out in the media entirely as an internal Conservative party psychodrama.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,170
    Absent Johnson the HoC is a charisma vacuum. If you looked up "boring" in the old yellow pages you got "see Civil Engineers". The present HoC could outdo a convention of Civil Engineers
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Jonathan said:

Governorship of Southern Thule no longer an option?
  • Options
    MattW said:

How does voting by proxy work, since for some reason it was impossible for the Prime Minister?
    He's not been banned from the Parliamentary Estate. He's not being given the pass normally given to ex-members allowing general access, but is perfectly entitled to be there as a guest of an MP or member of the public visiting.

On topic, the Privileges Committee report (and Commons vote on it) simply says they WOULD HAVE recommended suspension for 90 days had Johnson still been an MP (and, in voting for it, MPs agreed that). But the Commons has not, in fact, voted for a suspended sentence of some kind that kicks in if he is re-elected at some later date.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Yes that's possible but others views may succeed. What is implausible is no-one will ask the question in a formal point of order way.

I'm sure a LD, SNP or PC MP would be only too happy to do so, to put Labour on the spot, e.g. as "supporting Boris" with a dash of curry- and beer-spiced back history for SKS as well (unfairly or otherwise).
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

Rishi = FAIL

I've got it at 5.6%. That is more than half what it was in Nov 2022 so weak Rishi's pledge looks like a fail to me too.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Inflation is embedded. Grim.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Study of the Bradlaugh case might produce some sort of precedent, but it needs thought.

I think the Wilkes case might be a better precedent than Bradlaugh. An individual who was expelled by the House of Commons was sent back there by his constituents - in the end, they had to accept him.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    Something big happening in Indian aviation. Indigo and Air India have just put in orders for a total of a thousand jets at the Paris Airshow
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    It's a daft question to ask as such talk fuels the delusional martyr complex both for him and his supporters.

Anyone daft enough to re-elect him deserves all they get, and it's not the business of Parliament to interfere with that.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Something big happening in Indian aviation. Indigo and Air India have just put in orders for a total of a thousand jets at the Paris Airshow

It has indeed and enormous boost for North Wales with all 500 aircraft wings built here in Wales

Airbus secures biggest plane order in the history of commercial aviation

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/airbus-secures-biggest-plane-order-27153783#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    FF43 said:

Any comment from Just Stop Oil?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Rishi = FAIL

I've got it at 5.6%. That is more than half what it was in Nov 2022 so weak Rishi's pledge looks like a fail to me too.
    Indeed, and that was supposed to be his gimme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64166469
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

I think the Wilkes case might be a better precedent than Bradlaugh. An individual who was expelled by the House of Commons was sent back there by his constituents - in the end, they had to accept him.

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

IIRC those two cases were on matters of principle. Not the result of no principles!
  • Options

Rishi = FAIL

Looks like Rishi is heading for 0 out of 5

As Meat Loaf didn't say '0 out of 5 ain't good'.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343

Not my business, of course, but (pace ydoethur) Gove would be good - not bad at combative politics but also a genuine old-fashioned politician keen to change things for the good of the country. Some of his changes have been very controversial, but at least he enriches public debate. What do Sunak, Hunt, Mordaunt, etc. actually stand for? When did they last say anything new?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141

Jonathan said:

We could tell him we're opening a new embassy in Mariupol and that the plan is to parachute him in under a Union Jack to publicise his arrival.

He is probably sufficiently lazy not to bother to checking the implications until the jump door is open.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    We're reliving the 1970's.

The police certainly seem stuck there - though a judge criticising the "shocking" way the police treated a female police officer who blew the whistle on a colleague who has been convicted of 6 rapes of a colleague and 2 rapes of a 16 year old girl - is a welcome change: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/metropolitan-police-ignored-officers-complaint-about-rapist-colleague-bz7265nzq.

Then there is the NCA which has been found by a police watchdog to tolerate predatory sexual behaviour by its staff - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sex-predators-tolerated-at-national-crime-agency-z3c25bq7j - problems known to the leadership with nothing done. Apparently being there is like going into "an old fashioned CID office". The usual pointless apology has been offered.

Not to be outdone, the Scouts are currently carrying out an investigation into claims they silenced women who made allegations of sexual abuse. Millions have been paid out to victims but it is said that their safeguarding policies are still inadequate.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    FPT
    DavidL said:

Very poor inflation figures with a 30 year high for core inflation, food inflation still extremely high, if past its peak and the headline rate not falling.

The BoE have made such a mess of this. They assumed that the UK would be in a prolonged recession by now with inflation being squeezed out by a collapse in demand. This is just not happening.

I was in Inverness on Sunday night and the first 4 restaurants I tried did not have a table for 1. I got one in the 5th because someone had failed to appear. The bars were so full they were spilling out onto the streets. All this on a Sunday night. I appreciate it is a tourist location in mid June but a good friend of mine, who owns a fair sized business with several hotels in and around the area, tells me that they are having a record season.

Not sure if a tendency to holiday at home has built up during Covid but demand is much, much stronger than the Bank expected and this is keeping prices on an upward trend. The Bank really should increase interest rates by a half point tomorrow but my guess is that they will wimp out again and stick to a quarter.

@DavidL, we have had some disagreements but I've always found you quite sensible, whether or not this feeling is reciprocated.

I am a fan of the dictum 'Anyone who can't explain something successfully in layman's terms either doesn’t understand it or doesn’t want you to.'. This inflation is not typical; it's caused by radical increases in energy costs, which are reflected in every price rise - food increases due to the power used in production, hospitality due to the increase in heating and lighting, and food etc. etc. Can you explain in layman's terms how the usual approach to attacking inflation can possibly work here? Do you think the global gas price is going to be adjusted down because they realise that British consumers aren't putting their heating on as much? Perhaps you can explain.

• Options

Rishi = FAIL

Looks like Rishi is heading for 0 out of 5

As Meat Loaf didn't say '0 out of 5 ain't good'.
    These pledges can always be made to fit into the frame with a Stanley knife and Sellotape.

Remember the COVID pledges for testing kit delivery. If you recall by the end of the delivery window, so long as the envelope had a stamp on it and was resting in Boris' out-tray it was considered to have been "delivered".
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    mwadams said:

Jonathan said:

We could tell him we're opening a new embassy in Mariupol and that the plan is to parachute him in under a Union Jack to publicise his arrival.

He is probably sufficiently lazy not to bother to checking the implications until the jump door is open.
    Given Sunak's track record I wouldn't trust anything to happen when he pulls the ripcord.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757

FF43 said:

It has indeed and enormous boost for North Wales with all 500 aircraft wings built here in Wales

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/airbus-secures-biggest-plane-order-27153783#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
    I think you'll find that's 1,000 wings, BigG!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,277
    Cyclefree said:

We're reliving the 1970's.

The police certainly seem stuck there - though a judge criticising the "shocking" way the police treated a female police officer who blew the whistle on a colleague who has been convicted of 6 rapes of a colleague and 2 rapes of a 16 year old girl - is a welcome change: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/metropolitan-police-ignored-officers-complaint-about-rapist-colleague-bz7265nzq.

Then there is the NCA which has been found by a police watchdog to tolerate predatory sexual behaviour by its staff - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sex-predators-tolerated-at-national-crime-agency-z3c25bq7j - problems known to the leadership with nothing done. Apparently being there is like going into "an old fashioned CID office". The usual pointless apology has been offered.

Not to be outdone, the Scouts are currently carrying out an investigation into claims they silenced women who made allegations of sexual abuse. Millions have been paid out to victims but it is said that their safeguarding policies are still inadequate.

I don't know what's more depressing - the info in the post or the fact I'm not in any way surprised by it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    FF43 said:

A realisation that the new Chinese and Russian commercial planes aren’t going to cut the mustard?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,951

Not my business, of course, but (pace ydoethur) Gove would be good - not bad at combative politics but also a genuine old-fashioned politician keen to change things for the good of the country. Some of his changes have been very controversial, but at least he enriches public debate. What do Sunak, Hunt, Mordaunt, etc. actually stand for? When did they last say anything new?
    Gove is a politician who makes me think that each department should have two ministers. The minister of problems and the minister of solutions as often someone can work out what is wrong but doesn’t know the best alternate plan.

So, for a random example, the MoD has a minister of problems, say an ex army chap who says “our kit is crap, too expensive and slow to deliver and we have too few troops.” And the minister of solutions who used to run a big business says “this is how we change supply lines and recruitment.”
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

FF43 said:

Any comment from Just Stop Oil?
    They’ll probably start picketing the Airbus factory in Broughton. How dare the British engineers be allowed to make such horrible things, much better to see thousands of skilled workers made redundant instead.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

FF43 said:

• Options
    Miklosvar said:

FF43 said:

Everyone's getting into quite the flap about it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    edited June 2023
    boulay said:

Gove is a politician who makes me think that each department should have two ministers. The minister of problems and the minister of solutions as often someone can work out what is wrong but doesn’t know the best alternate plan.

So, for a random example, the MoD has a minister of problems, say an ex army chap who says “our kit is crap, too expensive and slow to deliver and we have too few troops.” And the minister of solutions who used to run a big business says “this is how we change supply lines and recruitment.”
    Wasn't Philip Green of Top Shop mooted as the "Solutions Minister" for the NHS? Not sure that turned out particularly well but yes, in theory the idea is a good one.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    boulay said:

Wouldn't it be better if we had actual experts in the field considering the problems *and* solutions?

For example, in education it is seven years since a teacher was leading OFSTED* and 11 years since anyone with an educational background was permanent secretary at the DfE (and that was a one-off). Instead, we have a lot of not very bright civil servants with rubbish degrees and boundless arrogance coming up with solutions that won't work to problems they don't really understand.

If the minimum age of entry to the Civil Service was 40 and a requirement was made that you must have at least five years' experience in a related field I think you would see some improvement.

*It is worth noting that one of the major problems with OFSTED is that despite its name it has a very wide remit far beyond education which leads to muddle and inexpert inspections - for me, a low point was when a school I was in was inspected for educational quality by somebody who was an expert in paediatric hospitals. He was nice enough and clearly very knowledgeable in his own field, but he clearly had no clue what he was looking at. That in itself means any head of it will have limits to understanding the role, although Spielman has managed to be spectacularly ignorant of all of them.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    Why is everyone at Westminster, including the Privileges Committee (point 39 of its report), playing along with the idea that an MP can resign at a moment of his own choosing and with immediate effect? It used to be common knowledge that they couldn't, and that they had to apply for the Chiltern Hundreds or Manor of Northstead. That's what both John Profumo and John Stonehouse did, for example.

Has Boris Johnson destroyed parliamentary precedent in one surprise move, doubtless earning admiration from those such as Dominic Cummings and Stephen Bannon?

Setting the electorate against the Commons ("We're sending him to you"..."We don't want him"..."What are you, a private members' club?") would make for nice theatre but isn't going to happen.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

MattW said:

He's not been banned from the Parliamentary Estate. He's not being given the pass normally given to ex-members allowing general access, but is perfectly entitled to be there as a guest of an MP or member of the public visiting.

On topic, the Privileges Committee report (and Commons vote on it) simply says they WOULD HAVE recommended suspension for 90 days had Johnson still been an MP (and, in voting for it, MPs agreed that). But the Commons has not, in fact, voted for a suspended sentence of some kind that kicks in if he is re-elected at some later date.
    Thank-you. That's interesting.

Personally I'd have cancelled his post-Prime Ministerial benefits - on the basis that he has already proved he will not respect the rules by ignoring the Ministerial Code in accepting jobs without being authorised - and his pension as well, on the same basis as policemen being able losing theirs when they bring the service into disrepute.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    boulay said:

say an ex army chap

Ex-forces are the last people you need at the MoD. Too institutionalised, too reactionary, too wedded to their old mob. eg Baldy Ben whose pathological need to be liked and refusal to take tough decisions has let the army's procurement problems get worse instead of improving them.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited June 2023
    boulay said:

Why not "runs a big business" rather than "used to"? Fresh current knowledge and all that. Might as well go full-on corporate state, and if said chap wants to put his company logo outside the MoD main building, why not if it's for the good of the people? And not just any old big business, but a military supplier. Then he'd know what's what.
  • Options
    Westie said:

boulay said:

Why not "runs a big business" rather than "used to"? Fresh current knowledge and all that. Might as well go full-on corporate state, and if said chap wants to put his company logo outside the MoD main building, why not if it's for the good of the people?
    Aha. Great Britain Ltd rides again.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    edited June 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

boulay said:

say an ex army chap

Ex-forces are the last people you need at the MoD. Too institutionalised, too reactionary, too wedded to their old mob. eg Baldy Ben whose pathological need to be liked and refusal to take tough decisions has let the army's procurement problems get worse instead of improving them.
    Your kidding.

Ben
    IDS
    Adam Holloway
    David Tredinnick
    David Davis
    Mark Francois

I can't think of a more qualified group of people to be in charge and making decisions.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

boulay said:

say an ex army chap

That's presumably why he suggested having an expert in supply chains looking at the solutions.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Bring back Truss. At least she was trying to grow the economy
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,227

I think Gove has been around too long, and there are too many hostages to fortune in choosing him. The problem with others like Alex Chalk, for example, is that he is too public school smooth, and is unlikely to hold his seat anyway. Tobias Ellwood has also annoyed too many with his rebellious antics, but there is a portion of the party establishment that would go for him.

The puff piece for Penny Mordaunt in the Times today suggests that if she holds her own seat, she is in with a good shout. However, that is a pretty big "if".

The big deal for the post defeat Tories will be "Character", hence the interesting positioning of Mordaunt and Ellwood.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

boulay said:

say an ex army chap

Your kidding.

Ben
    IDS
    Adam Holloway
    David Tredinnick
    David Davis
    Mark Francois

I can't think of a more qualified group of people to be in charge and making decisions.
    Great Trolling, what a herd of donkeys.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited June 2023
    The next 12 months are going to be a horribly bumpy ride for some people. The mortgage/house price bomb is going to go off and it isn’t going to be pretty.

I do actually expect prices to recover in the medium term but that’s little comfort to anyone who is remortgaging or selling in that period.

We’ll also likely have a GE campaign or be ramping up for one. So make of that what you will. I am starting to feel a bit more confident of a Labour majority.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

boulay said:

say an ex army chap

That's presumably why he suggested having an expert in supply chains looking at the solutions.
    When one of the problems is the minister in charge...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

boulay said:

say an ex army chap

Your kidding.

Ben
    IDS
    Adam Holloway
    David Tredinnick
    David Davis
    Mark Francois

At least one of those is actually mad.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Thank-you. That's interesting.

Personally I'd have cancelled his post-Prime Ministerial benefits - on the basis that he has already proved he will not respect the rules by ignoring the Ministerial Code in accepting jobs without being authorised - and his pension as well, on the same basis as policemen being able losing theirs when they bring the service into disrepute.
    Police pensions can be forfeited in very limited circumstances under the regulations applying to them, and the MPs' scheme would similarly be likely to have scheme rules with very limited forfeiture provisions. This would not, in any event, be a matter that can be overridden by the Privileges Committee - they are accrued rights.

Simply on a point of principle, I'd also say that there is a world of difference between Boris Johnson and Wayne Couzens. I am very far from being a Johnson fan but there's a need to have some sense of proportion.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,682

Good morning

Why Mordaunt?

I would add being socially liberal too, as need to get some appeal to post Boomer generations.

Most of all, she is a confident and capable speaker in Parliament, with a bit of humour that will contrast well with the wooden Starmer.

I don't think a great brain or potential PM, but a real threat as LOTO.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    The covid monetary incontinence started in March 2020. Core inflation didn’t materially exceed target until Aug 2021, which at 17mths is roughly in line with expected lags between monetary action and inflation.

Funny things will have happened to inflation this cycle too due to the particular behavioural effects of covid, with pent up demand and labour shortages but balanced by the omicron bed wetting which dampened behaviours.

In any case, add 17 months to when the BoE first started to really try and address inflation. I don’t personally start the clock until Aug 2022, the first 50bps raise which took rates to only 1.75%.

So prediction time, core inflation will peak +- a couple of months around Jan 2024 and be back in range sometime Q2. The panic raises we are now seeing will only serve to tank the economy by mid 2024 and makes this unnecessarily unpleasant. The BoE have won the election for Starmer.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

Bring back Truss. At least she was trying to grow the economy

In the sense that the guy who got buried alive was at least trying to dig the well?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    It's not just Sunak's inflation target that is in jeopardy. Stop the Boats! isn't looking too good either, with 1,660 "irregular migrants" crossing the Channel just last week. The previous reduction in numbers that Sunak was trumpeting seems to have reversed following a change in, er, wind direction.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats/migrants-detected-crossing-the-english-channel-in-small-boats-last-7-days
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250

The next 12 months are going to be a horribly bumpy ride for some people. The mortgage/house price bomb is going to go off and it isn’t going to be pretty.

I do actually expect prices to recover in the medium term but that’s little comfort to anyone who is remortgaging or selling in that period.

We’ll also likely have a GE campaign or be ramping up for one. So make of that what you will. I am starting to feel a bit more confident of a Labour majority.

I come a fixed rate next February. Hoping things may have calmed down a little by then but prepared for a chunky rise on monthly payments. Sure I will cope, but loads will not.

Let's also note the other consequence of this. Let's assume my mortgage payment goes up by £300 - or a lot more. That is cash I am no longer spending in the wider economy. Products I am not buying. Money needs to circulate to support jobs, so a big cut in disposable income for enough people, and even more businesses will have to make people redundant or fail completely.
  • Options

FF43 said:

It is indeed
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

FF43 said:

It is indeed
    No it is not. 1,000 jets, 2 wings per jet, do the math.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    moonshine said:

The covid monetary incontinence started in March 2020. Core inflation didn’t materially exceed target until Aug 2021, which at 17mths is roughly in line with expected lags between monetary action and inflation.

Funny things will have happened to inflation this cycle too due to the particular behavioural effects of covid, with pent up demand and labour shortages but balanced by the omicron bed wetting which dampened behaviours.

In any case, add 17 months to when the BoE first started to really try and address inflation. I don’t personally start the clock until Aug 2022, the first 50bps raise which took rates to only 1.75%.

So prediction time, core inflation will peak +- a couple of months around Jan 2024 and be back in range sometime Q2. The panic raises we are now seeing will only serve to tank the economy by mid 2024 and makes this unnecessarily unpleasant. The BoE have won the election for Starmer.

It is easy to criticise in hindsight and with the benefit of time, but mistakes were made with the covid economic policies, no doubt.

Furlough payments now look to have been too generous and the stamp duty cut irresponsible.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I am not sure which flip flop this day is for Keir Starmer

Yesterday I will stop resignation honours lists

Today labour will appoint over 100 peers as we do not have the expertise in government on our own benches
  • Options
    Oh this is Rishi buggered some more.

• Options
    edited June 2023

Today labour will appoint over 100 peers as we do not have the expertise in government on our own benches

Those two statements aren't contradictory.

If you look at the reason it is reasonable, Labour only has 174 peers, making up just 22% of the total.

Crossbenchers have 183 peers and the Tories have 263 peers.

This is to stop the Tories denying the will of the people after the next election.

You should spend some time reading up on the People's Budget of 1909/10.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,961
    Westie said:

Why is everyone at Westminster, including the Privileges Committee (point 39 of its report), playing along with the idea that an MP can resign at a moment of his own choosing and with immediate effect? It used to be common knowledge that they couldn't, and that they had to apply for the Chiltern Hundreds or Manor of Northstead. That's what both John Profumo and John Stonehouse did, for example.

Has Boris Johnson destroyed parliamentary precedent in one surprise move, doubtless earning admiration from those such as Dominic Cummings and Stephen Bannon?

Setting the electorate against the Commons ("We're sending him to you"..."We don't want him"..."What are you, a private members' club?") would make for nice theatre but isn't going to happen.

According to the HoC library Johnson was made Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds on 12th June, 3 days after he signalled his intention to resign.

At the moment he was appointed to that position he ceased to be an MP.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited June 2023
    I know it's irrelevant electorally because Gov'ts lose elections. And boy does it look like the Tories are going to lose this one - but just how will Labour sort the inflation mess out ?

Acquiescing to public sector pay demands might help the NHS - it certainly won't help inflation.
    Stopping new north sea oil licenses - in the long run that'll negatively affect our balance of payments and is probably a bit inflationary..
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,648

Oh this is Rishi buggered some more.

Funny thing is many of the 39% who say the BoE are probably those more knowledgeable about how the machinery of monetary policy works and therefore unlikely to be big fans of this current government anyway.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

FF43 said:

It is indeed
    No it is not. 1,000 jets, 2 wings per jet, do the math.
    The order from IndiGo is for 500 A320s therefore 1,000 wings as I was correctly corrected

This order takes the total number of IndiGo aircraft to 1,330 Airbus so the total order is for 2,660 wings which is an enormous boost to North Wales's and Cheshire's economies
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,478
    Foxy said:

Good morning

Why Mordaunt?

Not sure she's up to being PM, but that probably doesn't matter. It wasn't meant to matter for Starmer. (Though in his case, I reckon he'll be a perfectly adequate PM, just poor at competitive elections.) Her real job
    will be to create a space where a future Conservative PM might emerge.
    I would add being socially liberal too, as need to get some appeal to post Boomer generations.

Most of all, she is a confident and capable speaker in Parliament, with a bit of humour that will contrast well with the wooden Starmer.

I don't think a great brain or potential PM, but a real threat as LOTO.
    A bit like the way that Michael Howard kept the show on the road for the Conservatives are their lowest ebb, knocked some chunks out of Labour and created space for Cameron. Cut to the useful bit of the opposition cycle, rather than detouring via Hague/IDS or MdM/Corbyn.

Or, to take another metaphor, a John the Baptist to someone else's Jesus. I don't think she would be likely to win in 2028/9, but she
    definitely opens the door for 2033.

Probably requires an MP stitchup for the leadership election to come, though.
  • Options

If you look at the reason it is reasonable, Labour only has 174 peers, making up just 22% of the total.

This is to stop the Tories denying the will of the people after the next election.

Actually the 500 Liberal peers were granted (but never elevated) to pass the Parliament Act of 1911.

It would have been ironic if 500 Liberal peers had been created, giving them an inbuilt majority in the Lords in the 1920s even as their representation in the Commons dwindled to nothing...
  • Options

I didn't say it was unreasonable it just looks like flip flopping again
  • Options

I didn't say it was unreasonable it just looks like flip flopping again
    It only looks like flip flopping if you’re a partisan.
This discussion has been closed.