Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A LAB majority edges up in the election betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,487
    Broad looks exhausted.
  • Options
    Yet another part of the Horizon scandal:

Post Office bosses told to repay mistaken bonuses
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65963710
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,163
    rcs1000 said:

Very interesting Trump polling

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/20/politics/cnn-poll-trump-indictment-republicans-2024/index.html

Tl:Dr

Indictment has impacted Trump among primary voters, but not enough to change outcome. Currently.

Its not going to change. 25% of the GOP electorate are hardcore Trump nutters. Another 30% or so like someone strong who will stick it to the libs. Anyone that tries to go up against Trump gets eviscerated by him and looks weak.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214
    I reckon this is going to be a tie.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 603
    tlg86 said:

No. Stokes declared too soon.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

tlg86 said:

I think ultimately it's Cummins that has been the difference, regardless of Khawaja's efforts.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,814

ydoethur said:

Bloody I hell, I just went to the loo and it's all gone down the pan!

Good to know your flush loo works....
    We are now all privy to this information.
    Should have stayed in the closet :)
    Oh no, NO! Sunil, please tell us that your keenness in stations wasn't more of a secluded matter!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,989
    tlg86 said:

As we’re in Birmingham, a kipper tie!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited June 2023
    Draw 130.

Sure it's unlikely - but that unlikely?

Only 8 overs to go. And 7pm.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,482
    tlg86 said:

36/1 on BF
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

As we’re in Birmingham, a kipper tie!
    Two sugars please!
  • Options
    People talking about 2005 Edgbaston.

Worth remembering if we'd had DRS for that match Aus would have won.

And Lyon has just put matters beyond doubt.
  • Options
    OK, draw less likely now!
  • Options

Whoever wins, this is a brilliant advert for Bazball and for Test circket. They said they wanted it to be entertaining and this has served that up in spades. Well done to both England and Australia.

Absolutely, a fantastic advert for this form of the sport. Very well played by both teams, no matter what the result.
  • Options
    Last over, I assume.
  • Options
    Now they get close, they get nervous so stop scoring.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Last over, I assume.

The maiden disagrees.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Last over, I assume.

The maiden disagrees.
    If it's not a wicket maiden it's no good.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,517
    Sandpit said:

Whoever wins, this is a brilliant advert for Bazball and for Test circket. They said they wanted it to be entertaining and this has served that up in spades. Well done to both England and Australia.

Absolutely, a fantastic advert for this form of the sport. Very well played by both teams, no matter what the result.
    Yawwwwnnnnn :lol:
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,515
    SandraMc said:

tlg86 said:

Nah, everything about the match would have been different, and plenty of catches have gone down besides.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,515
    ydoethur said:

People talking about 2005 Edgbaston.

Worth remembering if we'd had DRS for that match Aus would have won.

And Lyon has just put matters beyond doubt.

Only if they hadn't used all their reviews like they did at Headingley 2019.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    The draw is still live....

Although the bookies would look askance at that outcome.
  • Options

SandraMc said:

tlg86 said:

Nah, everything about the match would have been different, and plenty of catches have gone down besides.
    Diff'rent Stokes?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    ydoethur said:

Last over, I assume.

This one definitely will be.
  • Options
    Fuxsake, winning off a misfield.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,659
    Ferfuxsake.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Last over, I assume.

This one definitely will be.
    Told ya
  • Options
    Bugger! A good match none the less. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,231
    Ok I called it wrong. Disappointed.

AUS deserve the win by chasing 280.

Getting out the tail remains a problem for us.

We can come back!
  • Options
    So, about that declaration…
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373
    Knocked it over the boundary !!!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    *cries*
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,443
    Surely Cummins for MOTM. But it will probably go to Khawaja. In fairness he kept Australia in the match in the first innings.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    They declared a bit early I thought at the time
  • Options
    kle4 said:

*cries*

You and me both.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    edited June 2023
    *cries*
    tlg86 said:

Hate to harp on it, but it did end up the difference, and it's not as though it put them under pressure on that first day. It was that glorious treading of the line of boldness and recklessness. Still keep the same attitude, just don't feel the need to always trie to 'shock' people.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,624
    edited June 2023
    Australia traded at a high of 19.5 with thousands traded around 11 (or 10/1 in old money).

England reached a low of 1.21.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,787
    This is going well.
    That was unlucky.
    It is a good job that England bat deep.
    We'll get them when we field
    It looks like its going to rain, that will save us.

Well 1-0 is recoverable
    We've lost but we've got two tests to avoid the whitewash
    It'll be a different story in Australia
  • Options
    Australia = Labour
    England = Tories

:lol:
  • Options

Australia = Labour
    England = Tories

Broken, sleazy England on the slide
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,624
    Shaun Bailey peerage could be in doubt as police scrutinise lockdown party at Tory HQ
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/shaun-bailey-london-mayor-peerage-boris-johnson-partygate-video-aides-b1088962.html
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,037
    edited June 2023

Australia = Labour
    England = Tories

Nah.
    England were honest, inventive and halfway competent.
    Australia sure were duller, mind.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    If England had put another 30 on instead of declaring we'd probably have won
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,033
    dixiedean said:

Australia = Labour
    England = Tories

Nah.
    I think Australia stepped up to the mark very well in the entertainment stakes. And everyone - including all the Aussie commentators - are enthused about this sort of Test Cricket. Even the long time critics of England like Langer and Ponting are enthusiastic about it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That if is doing some work.
    Another 30 would have taken 6 overs out the game.
    Which means they'd have shut up shop.
  • Options

kle4 said:

*cries*

tlg86 said:

Hate to harp on it, but it did end up the difference, and it's not as though it put them under pressure on that first day. It was that glorious treading of the line of boldness and recklessness. Still keep the same attitude, just don't feel the need to always trie to 'shock' people.
    The chances are very high that without that declaration the match would have been a boring draw. I would take this match and its result - even though the Aussies won - absolutely any day over the 'normal' test cricket

Well done to both teams (with a special well done to the Aussies for the win) for making it one of the great, memorable test matches.
    Agree entirely.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,614
    edited June 2023
    Great test match. I too think the declaration was an error. But I think the turning point was Root's dismissal in the second innings - stumped following a bizarre rush down the wicket and a swish across the line. Most uncharacteristic for a doughty Yorkshireman. Finally, you can only have one MotM and it had to be Khawaja, despite Cummins's heroics.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Australia = Labour
    England = Tories

Nah.
    I think Australia stepped up to the mark very well in the entertainment stakes. And everyone - including all the Aussie commentators - are enthused about this sort of Test Cricket. Even the long time critics of England like Langer and Ponting are enthusiastic about it.
    Just a tad over three an over both innings?
    Several long periods of turgid batting.
    England's bizarre fields and quirky bowling changes kept it interesting.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We never looked like getting a wicket after the drop. The only difference was the time. England have addressed one of their problems IE slow scoring. We still struggle to get the tail out.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

We never looked like getting a wicket after the drop. The only difference was the time. England have addressed one of their problems IE slow scoring. We still struggle to get the tail out.
    To clarify if they needed another 50 we wouldn't have got it
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,379

Australia traded at a high of 19.5 with thousands traded around 11 (or 10/1 in old money).

Sadly, it's usually a good strategy to bet against the patriotic choice, as people like to bet on what they want to happen...
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    England to win at Lords?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,936

Pulpstar said:

Need someone with a bit more pace. 4 bowlers at 80ish didn't provide enough variety.

Mind you, Jimmy will be retiring immediately if he has to play on pitches like that forever more.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,886

Sadly, it's usually a good strategy to bet against the patriotic choice, as people like to bet on what they want to happen...
    Good advice about 30 years ago but very much out of date. Cricket match odds markets are set nearly entirely by the Indian market. Football match odds by the Asian/Chinese market.
  • Options

I've never enjoyed a defeat more than today

What an outstanding exhibit for Test cricket being among the finest of sporting spectacles

I'm gutted we didn't win, but so excited for the rest of this series

Test Cricket -> The Ring Cycle
    One Day Cricket -> Figaro
    The Hundred -> Cats
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,205
    I think Labour may fall short of a majority in England but it could be gains from the SNP that take them over the line UK wide.

The difference from 1992 is Major still led Kinnock as preferred PM, whereas Starmer now leads Sunak as preferred PM
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

That if is doing some work.
    Another 30 would have taken 6 overs out the game.
    Which means they'd have shut up shop.
    It may well have been a draw. But Root and Robinson could have got England well past 400. The Australians would have been quite happy when England declared. And you should always do what the opposition don’t want you to do.
  • Options

England to win at Lords?

Maybe, still plenty of Tests left
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,350
    Anyway, the real sporting event of the day, Scotland v Georgia.

Absolutely torrential rain, they really should suspend play, what's that you say, 1-0, marvellous decision to soldier on..
  • Options

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

The decline in the Scots Nats, if sustained, will also significantly reduce the chance of a hung Parliament, with all the weakness and instability that entails. Of course, getting rid of the Northern Irish would reduce it much further, as well as saving the English taxpayer a fortune, but sadly there is no hope of that at the moment.

It's one of those things that a lot of people curiously regard as inevitable ('tis an island you know, so it's only right it be unified), but also seems far off given the glacified politics at play there.
    I fully expect Westminster to betray the DUP and Stormont at some point. Labour has never been keen on keeping NI, it was always the Tories to whom Unionism looked for support. Now the Tories are barking mad thanks to Brexit Purity and throwing NI to their more rabid supporters would probably be popular.

They could say "Let's get rid of N.I. and save £millions per week and spend it on mortgage interest relief"

It would look great on the side of a bus...
    Starmer has made clear he will campaign to keep NI in the UK and you can't throw people there who want to stay in the UK under the bus, for starters people in the North and Midlands and South are far more in need of mortgage interest relief in absolute numbers than NI.

Brexit has been done and NI stayed in the UK, we will never betray our Protestant brothers in Ulster!
  • Options

What an outstanding exhibit for Test cricket being among the finest of sporting spectacles

The Hundred -> Cats
    What about T20?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,443
    Scotland 1-0 up against Georgia already but taken off the pitch which is currently unplayable. I hope England can show the same level of consistency in due course.
  • Options

Absolutely torrential rain, they really should suspend play, what's that you say, 1-0, marvellous decision to soldier on..

How are the Scotland fans dealing with playing a side with the cross of St George as their flag?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

The decline in the Scots Nats, if sustained, will also significantly reduce the chance of a hung Parliament, with all the weakness and instability that entails. Of course, getting rid of the Northern Irish would reduce it much further, as well as saving the English taxpayer a fortune, but sadly there is no hope of that at the moment.

It's one of those things that a lot of people curiously regard as inevitable ('tis an island you know, so it's only right it be unified), but also seems far off given the glacified politics at play there.
    I fully expect Westminster to betray the DUP and Stormont at some point. Labour has never been keen on keeping NI, it was always the Tories to whom Unionism looked for support. Now the Tories are barking mad thanks to Brexit Purity and throwing NI to their more rabid supporters would probably be popular.

They could say "Let's get rid of N.I. and save £millions per week and spend it on mortgage interest relief"

Starmer has made clear he will campaign to keep NI in the UK and you can't throw people there who want to stay in the UK under the bus, for starters people in the North and Midlands and South are far more in need of mortgage interest relief in absolute numbers than NI.

Brexit has been done and NI stayed in the UK, we will never betray our Protestant brothers in Ulster!
    Surely any kind of help with mortgages is going to disproportionately benefit the south?

I'd be interested to see figures for mortgage lending by region.

Edit: As in South England. Not Ireland!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,098
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Good job Boris is no longer PM then. If there’d been a deal he really fancied which involved selling the UU’s (whatever colour they were) down the river he’d have done it!
  • Options
    Tasteless tweet from Polly Toynbee

'@pollytoynbee
    Searching rather harder for five millionaires' missing sub than for small boats sinking with hundreds of families and children on board?'
    https://twitter.com/pollytoynbee/status/1671182571793686528?s=20
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,146
    HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee
    Searching rather harder for five millionaires' missing sub than for small boats sinking with hundreds of families and children on board?'

Commenting on a tasteless fact.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,886

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Surely any kind of help with mortgages is going to disproportionately benefit the south?

I'd be interested to see figures for mortgage lending by region.
    Benefit mostly mortgage holders in the South, and prop up house prices for owners without a mortgage too.

However worst hit will be employed renters in the South, who have to pay extra tax to sub their landlords and drive up the price of houses they want to buy, as per usual.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

As repulsive a class war post from you too, there are search and rescue boats involved in both and Canada and the US where the Titanic sub rescue is taking place is not even on the same continent as greece either
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373
    HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

Indeed

https://twitter.com/damiennerice/status/1671196384060489728?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Good job Boris is no longer PM then. If there’d been a deal he really fancied which involved selling the UU’s (whatever colour they were) down the river he’d have done it!
    And Rishi has now removed the Irish Sea border.
  • Options

The Hundred -> Cats
    What about T20?
    Well, it isn't quite as bad as The Hundred. Miss Saigon?
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

Could you identify the small boats Polly is referring to?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

Shaun Bailey peerage could be in doubt as police scrutinise lockdown party at Tory HQ
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/shaun-bailey-london-mayor-peerage-boris-johnson-partygate-video-aides-b1088962.html

Just give it to him. People who have done far worse have got peerages in the past.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

kle4 said:

*cries*

tlg86 said:

The chances are very high that without that declaration the match would have been a boring draw. I would take this match and its result - even though the Aussies won - absolutely any day over the 'normal' test cricket

Well done to both teams (with a special well done to the Aussies for the win) for making it one of the great, memorable test matches.
    Exactly. The whole point of what McCullum and Stokes are doing is to make Test cricket more entertaining by playing for a result, not settling for draws. That means changing the distribution of outcomes, so there will be fewer draws, more losses, but hopefully marginally more wins.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating obviously, but everything we've seen so far since McCullum and Stokes have taken over has been very encouraging. The whole England team looks a hell of a lot happier than they have in many years, and they are playing good and entertaining cricket.

One of the things I hate love about the Aussies is that they always give it a go. When it comes to sport — any sport — Aussies never phone it in. I am loving England playing in a similar fashion.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

Is it a fact?

https://twitter.com/Grandadgreg1/status/1671197115085729793

Are they? Rescue op for the refugees was at least three days and included 6 coastguard vessels, a frigate, a military transport plane, an air force helicopter, several private vessels and a drone from the EU border protection agency, Frontex.

• Options

Just give it to him. People who have done far worse have got peerages in the past.
    House of Lords = House of Unelected Has-Beens!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

More Nationalist than Unionist MPs elected in 2019.
  • Options
    Labour now targeting Mid Beds and not giving the LDs a free run v the Tories
    https://twitter.com/peterkyle/status/1671077159077572608?s=20
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

The Alliance were created as a soft Unionist party
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Now they are more progressive than conservative.
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

Indeed

https://twitter.com/damiennerice/status/1671196384060489728?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
    Polly herself lives in a multi million pound house of course
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

They are not Nationalist
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

As repulsive a class war post from you too, there are search and rescue boats involved in both and Canada and the US where the Titanic sub rescue is taking place is not even on the same continent as greece either
    Blimey, you're taking England's defeat pretty badly
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

Indeed

Polly herself lives in a multi million pound house of course
    Politics of envy
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

It is not a joking matter to joke about human beings trapped at the bottom of the ocean in a tin can with oxygen running out and what their families are going through any more than it would be about migrants at risk of drowning if their boat sank.

You should be ashamed of yourself for that post
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

They are not Nationalist
    When was the last election that Nationalists were elected to half of NI's seats?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,350

How are the Scotland fans dealing with playing a side with the cross of St George as their flag?
    Dragon on a bit now
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

Is it a fact?

https://twitter.com/Grandadgreg1/status/1671197115085729793

Are they? Rescue op for the refugees was at least three days and included 6 coastguard vessels, a frigate, a military transport plane, an air force helicopter, several private vessels and a drone from the EU border protection agency, Frontex.

And we knew where the Greece ship was at all times, and if we didn't specialised kit for finding stuff 4 kilometres down is a bit irrelevant to things on the surface, and the parties supplying SAR for the submarine are on the whole non-UK, commercial operations who are big and grown up enough to decide what to do with their own kit.

This is Spartism at its finest, it's like watching a particularly fine production of Hamlet and saying yebbut what about the life expectancy of the average peasant in contemporary Denmark?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

They are not Nationalist
    They are not Unionist either, they are "Other".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

It is not a joking matter to joke about human beings trapped at the bottom of the ocean in a tin can with oxygen running out and what their families are going through any more than it would be about migrants at risk of drowning if their boat sank.

What post? I've said nothing about ships or searches, I just think it's bizarre you're getting so aggressive.
  • Options
    What it is about the Titanic richness of Schrodinger's submariners that makes it news?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,972

Sandpit said:

Yawwwwnnnnn :lol:
    But someone threw a ball towards some sticks and then someone with a different stick sometimes hit the ball away from the sticks. Sometimes someone else threw the ball back at the original sticks.

Based on that someone got some numbers.

It's gripping.
  • Options
    agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 87
    Great test match. Australia did remarkably well, at times they seemed beatable, they were not.

But, I fear that the Ashes series is gone. England just have too many frailties against a better team. They came close this time, but lost. Not 5-0, but 3-1?

Batsmen: plenty; fast bowlers: plenty; spinners? wicket keeper? you tell me.

A test where the cheap dismissals of two or three great/very good batsmen, and where Root's late superb catch, failed to win the match tells us something.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

'@pollytoynbee

The thing imploded days ago.

There's a debate to be had as to whether carbon fibre is reliable enough to make bicycle frames out of. Submersibles is just silly. We won't be finding this thing any time soon.
This discussion has been closed.