Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Boris Johnson stand in the Mid Beds by election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,571
    Why the Tory crisis spells disaster for Starmer | Owen Jones

https://twitter.com/StephenCVGraham/status/1667271935053508608
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    Well, how big are the ultra-Boris loyalists as a group ?

I suppose if over ten or 15 resigned that start to make an impact, but even there the main one would be to leave a slightly weakened, but clearly still intact Sunak, on to lead an even worse result for all the Tories next year ; as the public would now see not only Tories=incompetence + corruption, but also , in the manner of the late 1990's, Tories = incompetence, corruption and division, too.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    I thought kle4 was a Labour voter tbh
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,351

Why the Tory crisis spells disaster for Starmer | Owen Jones

https://twitter.com/StephenCVGraham/status/1667271935053508608

Have OJ and BJO ever been seen together?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,571
    Phew.

The MP tipped to resign tonight by other Tory MPs has now confirmed they are NOT going anywhere.

Everyone relax - a bit.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1667257501581037575
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321
    geoffw said:

I'm going to bed, if the Tory Party could stop setting itself on fire until 7am tomorrow morning I'd appreciate it.

Pop quiz: How many Tory MPs will have taken the Chiltern Hundreds / Manor of Northsted by 7am tomorrow?

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
    D) (Hopefully)
    At most two I think:
    Under a Resolution of the House of 2 March 1624, Members of Parliament cannot directly resign their seat.

Death, disqualification and expulsion are the only means by which a Member's seat may be vacated during the lifetime of a Parliament. There are two such offices that are used for disqualification: Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds and of the Manor of Northstead.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/guides/factsheets/procedure/p11/
    Incorrect. The Chancellor can appoint people to either office one after another.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,003

Apols for the possibly dumb question but I am playing catch-up: Mad Nad's resigning with immediate effect but has not been given a peerage, is that right?

Correct. I do wonder if TSE is correct and there are some interesting power plays going on here.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,004
    edited June 2023
    ydoethur said:

Oh

Boris Johnson

I wanna knoooooooooooow

Why you’re such a ….

As Hacker said of Basil Corbett:

'He lies not because it's in his interests, but because it's in his nature.'

Jim Hacker: He's a smooth-tongued, hardnosed, cold-eyed, two-faced creep.

Annie Hacker : Why is he so successful?

Jim Hacker : Because he's a smooth-tongued, hardnosed, cold-eyed, two-faced creep

... I'm not seeing the connection.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Oh

Boris Johnson

I wanna knoooooooooooow

Why you’re such a ….

Jim Hacker : Because he's a smooth-tongued, hardnosed, cold-eyed, two-faced creep

You're right.

Johnson wasn't smooth tongued, well - not in that way.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,575
    edited June 2023
    Nigelb said:

I feel sorry for Trump's lawyers.

Special Counsel alleges the Iran attack plan is indeed a classified document that Trump shared.👇

Extraordinary risks to U.S. national security. Foreign adversaries would pay tens of millions for that info.

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1667230245026406428
    Deleted. (Rather like Boris and Dorries, which I hope rhymes).
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

I suppose if over ten or 15 resigned that start to make an impact, but even there the main one would be too leave a slightly weakened, but clearly still intact Sunak, on to lead an even worse result for the Tories next year ; as the public would now see not only Tories=incompetence, but also , in the manner of the late 1990's, Tories =incompetence and division, too ( added to corruption at the end of the recipe).

Less than ten. Probably less than three. I could imagine his leaving party consisting of Mad Nads getting him a 2 for 1 Wetherspoons pie and chips and a drunken handjob in the cab home.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,936
    Something big always happens when I don't look at the news for a few hours, lol.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    Cyclefree said:

Not surprised at all by the ungracious manner of Boris's resignation statement - he doesn't do dignity.

I think it's particularly poor, however, for him to have a personal dig at Harriet Harman, who I'm quite sure carried out her role dispassionately under the gaze of the Tory MPs on the Privileges Committee.

To use Boris's own language, he really is a cad and a bounder.

He also libelled the KC advising the Committee.

Boris is - and always has been - a shit. The Tory party is well rid of him.

If it had any sense - a big "if" I grant you these days - it would see this is the start of the very long road back to becoming a decent conservative party, one with a moral compass, some sense of integrity, duty, public service and care for the institutions and people of this country.

My guess is that it won't - not yet anyway - and so its death spiral will continue until the voters put it out of its misery
    It needs to shed a lot of its UKIP members and recruit decent conservative members. Johnson's resignation might help that process. Sunak needs to be braver and face down the membership as well as the ERGs.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    Forgive me for wild wishcasting. Rishi ditches Suella in the next six months saying he gave her a target and she failed. Suella failed, busted flush.

Boris and Nadine gone. jRM happy with being Lord Hatstand. Again Nadine gone.

Rishi starts pivoting to an 18 month plan for election, improvement in economy. Tories were hamstrung by Covid and Ukraine messaging, we are fixing things under sunny Sunak for a glorious tech future.

Don’t let those lefty loons back.

Rishi - a tech bro for a tech age, I have the energy of tigger, I’m not Sir Keir boring boring and my shirt collars fit.

My deputy has a bit too high pitched voice but he doesn’t sound like an extra from last of the summer wine like Angela does.

We’ve got rid of the assholes.

Positive positive positive.

Wishcasting but possible.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    Nigelb said:

Trump ‘had illegally kept hold of documents concerning “United States nuclear programs; potential vulnerabilities of the United States and its allies to military attack; and plans for possible retaliation in response to a foreign attack.”..’
    https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1667234274884431872

How any Republican who seriously aspires to the Presidency can defend this shit is utterly beyond me.

It's the very definition of being a traitor to his country, but his supporters no longer believe in their country as a whole. Their fear of the enemy within is greater than their fear of the enemy without.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

I thought kle4 was a Labour voter tbh

I generally vote LD, but as I am in the deep blue Shires there is not much opportunity to vote Labour even when they have been the better option nationally - which since I was first able to vote in 2005 has not really been the case until recently. Being a teenager in the aftermath of Iraq, in the shires, made the LDs much bigger at Uni.

I would consider myself an centrist by way of overly cautious nature, socially liberal but more receptive to Conservative economic arguments and, to an extent, on cultural ones.

Keir Starmer makes the right noises for my sort, notwithstanding his backing of the execreble Corbyn (Ed M was fine, but I was a coalitionista).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Trump ‘had illegally kept hold of documents concerning “United States nuclear programs; potential vulnerabilities of the United States and its allies to military attack; and plans for possible retaliation in response to a foreign attack.”..’
    https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1667234274884431872

How any Republican who seriously aspires to the Presidency can defend this shit is utterly beyond me.

Because their members are even madder than the Massive Johnsonites. And unlike the MJs, the Republicans have guns.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,988

EXCLUSIVE

The privileges committee will press on with publishing report into Boris Johnson after concluding he misled Parliament over partygate

Given that he is not responding, publication of the report is now likely to be expedited unless Govt tables a 'rescinding motion'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1667266534136225797

Surely Sunak wants the final nail hammered into Johnson’s coffin and the report needs to come out .
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    boulay said:

Forgive me for wild wishcasting. Rishi ditches Suella in the next six months saying he gave her a target and she failed. Suella failed, busted flush.

Rishi starts pivoting to an 18 month plan for election, improvement in economy. Tories were hamstrung by Covid and Ukraine messaging, we are fixing things under sunny Sunak for a glorious tech future.

Rishi - a tech bro for a tech age, I have the energy of tigger, I’m not Sir Keir boring boring and my shirt collars fit.

My deputy has a bit too high pitched voice but he doesn’t sound like an extra from last of the summer wine like Angela does.

I think the best result for the Tories at the next election is to lose office, but narrowly, so they can see a realistic path to a comeback in a reasonable timeframe. Say, 290 seats and 34% of the vote.

If they win, they'll be more screwed than a child trying to navigate our broken exam system in 2029/30.

If they lose bigly, they'll implode.

I can just about see Sunak pulling it off, particularly now the dead weight of Johnson is removed. But it won't be easy. It will be more difficult as politicians never play to lose.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Oh

Boris Johnson

I wanna knoooooooooooow

Why you’re such a ….

You're right.

Johnson wasn't smooth tongued, well - not in that way.
    That episode, like many, really is a minefield of appropriate quotes - too many of our politicians lack both of these.

Jim Hacker : Elbows: the most important weapon in a politician's armoury.

Annie Hacker : Other than integrity!

Jim Hacker : Integrity?

[bursts out laughing]
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Important to know whether the Privileges Committee was unanimous in its finding. Clearly, at least one Conservative member voted for the sanctions to give a majority, but did they all?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Important to know whether the Privileges Committee was unanimous in its finding. Clearly, at least one Conservative member voted for the sanctions to give a majority, but did they all?

Indeed.

If there are any who voted not to censure, we need to know who they are so we can point and laugh at them for being patsies now left high and dry.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,132
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Boris Johnson

We wanna knooooooooooooooooooow

Why you’re such a …,
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,148
    @LadPolitics

Labour open 1/8 favourites to win the Uxbridge & South Ruislip by-election
  • Options
    Smart51Smart51 Posts: 52
    ClippP said:

kjh said:

In case anyone is in any doubt the LDs are going for the Mid Beds seat I got my email asking for help at 5.33 pm. Didn't hang around.

Good for them! I hope you sent them a large donation, Mr KJH!

Is there a Lib Dem candidate in place yet?
    By-elections mean a reselection. No doubt someone is staying up late to do the paperwork.

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

darkage said:

Donald Trump’s lawyers have resigned shortly after he became the first former President ever to be indicted on federal charges.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1667251157339701248

Listening to that news clip, these charges sound flimsy and unconvincing. It sounds exactly how he describes it, a witch hunt.
    In practical terms this situation will simply assist his re-election bid and it will be likely to do terminal damage to US politics and society.
    Have you read the endictments . The charges are very serious .
    Yes - he allegedly kept classified information, and then obstructed an investigation in to it. It just sounds like the authorities were desperate to arrest him and this was the best they could come up with.
    Yeah, right.

He smuggled out huge quantities of classified material, including some at the highest and most sensitive levels, information in which, if leaked, would seriously imperil the United States in general, specific sources in particular, and betray intelligence gathering systems and methods.

He then continually and repeatedly blocked every attempt to make him give the damn stuff back.

Nothing to see here. All just desperation. Doesn't matter that if anyone else did this, they'd be looking at a 20 year stretch, minimum.

Fucking hell, if they need to redact certain caveats, given what else was in the titles...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,961
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I voted Tory at the 2019 European elections, which makes me more of a Tory than most Tory party members and many of their MPs I'd bet.

Same, I voted Tory in the European elections.
    So did I and thanks to our combined votes May's Tories won a magnificent 9% of the vote and 3 MEPs at the 2019 UK European Parliament elections, the first ever national election the Conservatives got less than 10% of the vote
    I've never felt so impactful.
    Senna pods are good for that :)
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,348

Now we just need Man City to lose tomorrow night for a full weekend of top bantz

And India to turn the tables on the Aussies of course.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,561
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

I think the best result for the Tories at the next election is to lose office, but narrowly, so they can see a realistic path to a comeback in a reasonable timeframe. Say, 290 seats and 34% of the vote.

If they win, they'll be more screwed than a child trying to navigate our broken exam system in 2029/30.

I can just about see Sunak pulling it off, particularly now the dead weight of Johnson is removed. But it won't be easy. It will be more difficult as politicians never play to lose.
    Trouble is that Boris is the only leader since Thatcher with enough X Factor to win a workable majority at a General Election. And as the last year has shown, some of that is pure hucksterism.

Sunak has talents, but he doesn't have that X Factor.

Who does?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321

Now we just need Man City to lose tomorrow night for a full weekend of top bantz

Harland own goal
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,699
    Smart51 said:

ClippP said:

kjh said:

In case anyone is in any doubt the LDs are going for the Mid Beds seat I got my email asking for help at 5.33 pm. Didn't hang around.

Good for them! I hope you sent them a large donation, Mr KJH!

Is there a Lib Dem candidate in place yet?
    By-elections mean a reselection. No doubt someone is staying up late to do the paperwork.
    Though in North Shropshire the Lib Dems ratifiedthe already selected candidate, I believe. And then won the seat.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited June 2023
    Perhaps the headline is meant in jest, but surely no mover or shaker in the Tory party would support Johnson standing in the Mid-Bedfordshire by-election any more than they'd back Dorries standing in Uxbridge and South Ruislip. And if Johnson were to run on another ticket, he might even lose his deposit.

Speculation: the king or the people around him may have vetoed Dorries's ennoblement, for fear of being embarrassed - and we can't have that. And the king and Johnson don't get on. See Rwanda.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,847
    I'm now imagining the bog at Sunak's Richmondshire pile to be filled with boxes full of Boris compromat in case of any return attempt.

Q: Did Trump file the details on the weaknesses of the UKs nuclear submarine fleet in the u-bend?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,146
    '@Nigel_Farage
    Whatever the failures of Boris Johnson’s time as PM, I will always be thankful for him joining the Brexit campaign'
    https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1667259792254029858?s=20
  • Options

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Trouble is that Boris is the only leader since Thatcher with enough X Factor to win a workable majority at a General Election. And as the last year has shown, some of that is pure hucksterism.

Who does?
    Tony Blair just called and is mortally offended.
  • Options

Harland own goal
    Haariet Haarman. Deadly striker. 😂
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    HYUFD said:

'@Nigel_Farage
    Whatever the failures of Boris Johnson’s time as PM, I will always be thankful for him joining the Brexit campaign'

Similarly damning.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,414

Harland own goal
    Boris: "Harman own goal!"
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

darkage said:

Donald Trump’s lawyers have resigned shortly after he became the first former President ever to be indicted on federal charges.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1667251157339701248

Listening to that news clip, these charges sound flimsy and unconvincing. It sounds exactly how he describes it, a witch hunt.
    In practical terms this situation will simply assist his re-election bid and it will be likely to do terminal damage to US politics and society.
    Have you read the endictments . The charges are very serious .
    Yes - he allegedly kept classified information, and then obstructed an investigation in to it. It just sounds like the authorities were desperate to arrest him and this was the best they could come up with.
    What are you on about?

If that was the plan, all he had to do was not obstruct it. Most of us manage not to obstruct matters every day, why is him doing so no big deal if they, gasp, looked to see if he obstructed?

I'm sorry, but whilst the potential sentences are high yet many will not see what he is alleged to have done as a big deal, the idea this is a stitch up is just plain certifiable. It's incredibly easy to avoid this 'trap' - you say 'oops, didn't realise I was not permitted to keep those'.

Pence and Biden both probably did that in response to when their papers were looked at.

It's easy to call the NY case a bit of a stretch - it relies on a limited time only extension to statute of limitations rules, it requires a corresponding criminal offence and it is not certain apparently that what is alleged would meet the standard etc - but this is not a complex case, and the issue is whether they can prove he obstructed, beyond a reasonable doubt (they may well not), not that those nasty feds were just looking for any old thing to get him.

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,561
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Who does?
    I may be tipsy enough to not properly check things. Too much proof to check the proofs, one might say. But seems fair enough tonight.

"Conservative Leader" natch. Though some would say that doesn't exclude Tone.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,146
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Who does?
    I think he means only Conservative leader since Thatcher to win a workable majority.

I suspect he is right, Sunak has a tiny chance of repeating a Major 1992 win against the odds but otherwise like post Thatcher, post Boris the Tories will likely be in opposition for a generation unless Starmer unlike Blair screws the economy up
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Some of the classified material Trump took out is about Macron.
    Trump has bragged about having information about Macron's sex life that Macron would rather not be released.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    HYUFD said:

'@Nigel_Farage

When you are damned with faint praise by farage you really are sub Lord North.

Whatever the failures of Dr Shipman’s time as a GP, I will always be thankful for him saving Mrs Smith.
  • Options
    My supervisor in the FAA yelled at me once for leaving a secret document on top of my desk…with the cover sheet on it…in the control room where only people with security clearances were allowed to enter.

Trump hid boxes and boxes of documents in his shitter at his club

https://twitter.com/SiempreSeattle/status/1667268764063399936
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Excellent news. The man was a cancer in the Conservative Party, and British politics, generally.

Bitter? The people who absolutely loathe him are those who will never forgive him for his role in the EU Referendum.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Boris is pretty astute about avoiding fights he can’t win. Look at the withdrawal from the leadership election after Cameron resigned. He must have calculated that without the active support of Sunak he had no chance of overturning the committee’s recommendations. He was probably right.

Will he be back? Not while Sunak is there but that is only 15 months or so.

Why would he want to come back?

I've been saying for a long time he'd take the Chiltern Hundreds and coin it in from the lecture tour.

He'd have more dignity if he'd done so when he resigned as PM, like Blair and Cameron, instead of doing so now though.

His attitude today is just pathetic.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,783
    edited June 2023
    How long can the two by-elections be postponed for?

Asking for a friend Sishi Runak
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

If Keir cannot carry it home now he deserves to be pilloried by BJO come 2024.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Boris is pretty astute about avoiding fights he can’t win. Look at the withdrawal from the leadership election after Cameron resigned. He must have calculated that without the active support of Sunak he had no chance of overturning the committee’s recommendations. He was probably right.

I've been saying for a long time he'd take the Chiltern Hundreds and coin it in from the lecture tour.

He'd have more dignity if he'd done so when he resigned as PM, like Blair and Cameron, instead of doing so now though.

He is pathetic. Today is just more evidence.

'Them's the breaks...'
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

He'd be pilloried by @bjo if he won every seat in parliament, including in Northern Ireland where Labour don't even stand.
  • Options
    NB a privileges report can be into conduct of a former or non member. So the idea he’d stand in another seat is for the birds. He’d just be suspended again.
    https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1667265561900863492
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

He'd be pilloried by @bjo if he won every seat in parliament, including in Northern Ireland where Labour don't even stand.
    If that happened, then someone somewhere would deserve some pillorying.
  • Options

DavidL said:

He wasn't in a hurry to do that until he was about to be kicked out.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

The key word was 'deserves'. He's starting from further back, but Corbynites are rightly mocked for pretending Corbyn won because he gained seats, when he still lost. Starmerites won't get a pass if they try the same.
  • Options
    Jack Smith can see your defences coming, Fox

Fox News contributor Jason Chaffetz defended Donald Trump’s putting classified documents in unsecured locations such as ballroom stage and a bathroom:
    "Mar-a-Lago is...protected by the United States Secret Service.”

There's a little problem with that. The Indictment says the exact opposite: "The Secret Service provided protection to TRUMP and his family after he left office, including at The Mar-a-Lago club, but it was not responsible for the protection of TRUMP’s boxes or their contents."
  • Options
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

'@Nigel_Farage

When you are damned with faint praise by farage you really are sub Lord North.

Whatever the failures of Dr Shipman’s time as a GP, I will always be thankful for him saving Mrs Smith.
    And yet. I can attest that such things are still occasionally said sotto voce in corners of Hyde, so.....
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,825
    Farooq said:

I suppose if over ten or 15 resigned that start to make an impact, but even there the main one would be too leave a slightly weakened, but clearly still intact Sunak, on to lead an even worse result for the Tories next year ; as the public would now see not only Tories=incompetence, but also , in the manner of the late 1990's, Tories =incompetence and division, too ( added to corruption at the end of the recipe).

Less than ten. Probably less than three. I could imagine his leaving party consisting of Mad Nads getting him a 2 for 1 Wetherspoons pie and chips and a drunken handjob in the cab home.
    I mean, I wouldn't say no to that...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Fox News contributor Jason Chaffetz defended Donald Trump’s putting classified documents in unsecured locations such as ballroom stage and a bathroom:

There's a little problem with that. The Indictment says the exact opposite: "The Secret Service provided protection to TRUMP and his family after he left office, including at The Mar-a-Lago club, but it was not responsible for the protection of TRUMP’s boxes or their contents."

I once worked in the White House and saw how people, from the president on down, handled classified documents.

It was not like this.

https://twitter.com/JamesFallows/status/1667263069477535744
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,414
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Nearest thing are the "Cross-Community Labour Alternative".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-Community_Labour_Alternative

There's also People Before Profit who are officially "Other", but they are secret Nationalists given that they hanker after a "32-County Socialist Ireland".
  • Options
    Getting an air con unit is an absolute game changer, it makes these warm days somehow bearable indoors
  • Options
    Is Christopher Hope the most unreliable journalist in the world?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Who does?
    Um... Cameron won a workable majority at a general election, in 2015
  • Options

Farooq said:

Would... would you be Boris in this scenario... or Nads?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,219

Best for CON just to get them out of the way
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,575
    edited June 2023
    I've just read Johnson's full statement. He's become paranoid, and is encouraging conspiracy stuff. I was struck by this extract:

I am not alone in thinking that there is a witch hunt under way, to take revenge for Brexit and ultimately to reverse the 2016 referendum result. My removal is the necessary first step, and I believe there has been a concerted attempt to bring it about. I am afraid I no longer believe that it is any coincidence that Sue Gray - who investigated gatherings in Number 10 - is now the chief of staff designate of the Labour leader.

Doesn't say much for his judgement that the woman he appointed duped him so easily.
    What a tosser. GB News awaits.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Eeuch!!

Weatherspoons pie and chips, how awful.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    HYUFD said:

'@Nigel_Farage

I wouldn't put it past him to denounce Brexit.

The man's a loose cannon. What a time we're going to have.

BJO and the red wallers are going to going to have to find a new hero
  • Options

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Who does?
    He won a majority, but 10 seat majority normally isn't classed as workable.

Major had a bigger majority in 1992 and nobody classes that as a workable majority.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

I once worked in the White House and saw how people, from the president on down, handled classified documents.

It was not like this.

Whilst Trump is, characteristically, throwing out every defence under the sun (even the contradictory ones), including protesting his total innocence, it is curious the general GOP position (Chaffetz slightly away from this one) is not to talk about innocence or lack of it being big deal, but simply to claim it is unfair to charge an ex-president at all, or at least that it is unfair to do so if not also charging a Democrat at the same time presumably, equal justice and all that.

It's smarter, as they can mostly read, so will see this is potentially a serious case and better to object to it on principle with a clear villain for it happening at all, than stick up for what might be provable misconduct.
  • Options

All the way until the next general election.
  • Options

Getting an air con unit is an absolute game changer, it makes these warm days somehow bearable indoors

Assuming you are in the UK it's hardly warm and certainly not humid. Just open the window ffs!

You are doing your bit to add to global warming needlessly running an A/C in the UK in this weather.
  • Options

Assuming you are in the UK it's hardly warm and certainly not humid. Just open the window ffs!

You are doing your bit to add to global warming needlessly running an A/C in the UK in this weather.
    In the 40 degree heat last year opening the window made it worse, not better. I wish I had air con last year.
  • Options

I thought it was only in the final six months of a Parliament they can be delayed until the next election?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    MikeL said:

Justine Greening on Times Radio:

Boris resigned because he thought he would lose the by-election. And if he did lose the by-election, he would be finished.

So he's resigned to avoid humiliation and in the hope that something will come up later.

Simple as that.

+1 as I said yesterday the risk for Bozo was a significant ban that could not be reduced to less than the 10 days that triggers a recall petition. I wonder if we will see the actual report at some point.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    MikeL said:

Justine Greening on Times Radio:

Boris resigned because he thought he would lose the by-election. And if he did lose the by-election, he would be finished.

So he's resigned to avoid humiliation and in the hope that something will come up later.

Simple as that.

This little quote sums up Boris Johnson so well.

It reminds me of an opportunistic and more grownup Just William, now grown older, but still undeveloped and much more of a risk, hanging around, and kicking his heels, on a street corner, until something turns up.
  • Options

I've just read Johnson's full statement. He's become paranoid, and is encouraging conspiracy stuff. I was struck by this extract:

I am not alone in thinking that there is a witch hunt under way, to take revenge for Brexit and ultimately to reverse the 2016 referendum result. My removal is the necessary first step, and I believe there has been a concerted attempt to bring it about. I am afraid I no longer believe that it is any coincidence that Sue Gray - who investigated gatherings in Number 10 - is now the chief of staff designate of the Labour leader.

Doesn't say much for his judgement that the woman he appointed duped him so easily.

ROFL he appointed Gray because she was known to be a soft touch
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313
    I have only just heard the news. Boris Trump has resigned. Blimey!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

It was not like this.

Whilst Trump is, characteristically, throwing out every defence under the sun (even the contradictory ones), including protesting his total innocence, it is curious the general GOP position (Chaffetz slightly away from this one) is not to talk about innocence or lack of it being big deal, but simply to claim it is unfair to charge an ex-president at all, or at least that it is unfair to do so if not also charging a Democrat at the same time presumably, equal justice and all that.

It's smarter, as they can mostly read, so will see this is potentially a serious case and better to object to it on principle with a clear villain for it happening at all, than stick up for what might be provable misconduct.
    In short, Trump is saying ex-presidents should be above the law. Well they're not above the law. One day that guy's big mouth will get him into trouble.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,260
    Is everyone agreed that manufactured outrage at the the description Britain Trump is a thing of the past? The one thing that can be said about the Donald is that he recognises a kindred spirit.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Who does?
    He won a majority, but 10 seat majority normally isn't classed as workable.

Major had a bigger majority in 1992 and nobody classes that as a workable majority.
    I mean, it worked, for him. There wasn't really a problem with it until after the Brexit referendum result.
  • Options

Is everyone agreed that manufactured outrage at the the description Britain Trump is a thing of the past? The one thing that can be said about the Donald is that he recognises a kindred spirit.

Agreed. He truly is Britain Trump.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,702

Yep. Move over McVey and Davies, Nad and Bozo are in the house.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895

DavidL said:

Don't you feel cheated? Someone you praised to the hilt just two years ago turns out to be the creep many suspected he was
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,799
    edited June 2023

Yes, although it's very unusual for it to be longer than six months

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06576/

"There is nothing in statute law or in Standing Orders obliging the House to move a writ for a by-election. It could choose to leave the seat without representation until the next General Election (General Elections must be held every five years). One of the by-elections listed, North-West Leicestershire, was left vacant until the 2010 General Election some five months later."

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/by-elections/

"A new Writ is usually issued within three months of the vacancy. There have been a few times when seats remained vacant longer than six months. Seats will be left vacant towards the end of a Parliament. They are then filled at the general election."
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 786

I lived in southern Germany for a bit and it could get pretty warm there, mid 30s in summer, occasionally rising into the high 30s. No domestic Aircon but just about everyone had metal shutters. The trick was to keep them closed during the day and then, at night, open the shutters and the windows inwards. It worked surprisingly well.

UK equivalent is keep your curtains closed during the day and open the windows in the evening. I live more northerly these days, so windows open at night tend to do the trick. Maybe a fan, if you feel you need it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,897
    edited June 2023
    Check out Nige's Tweet

Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage
    ·
    1h
    Whatever the failures of Boris Johnson’s time as PM, I will always be thankful for him joining the Brexit campaign.

Nigel saying something nice about Boris? Nah!

Boris is going to stand at Mid-Beds for REFORM... If he fizzles out that's the end of him and REFORM.

If he wins he will become REFORM leader and might just split the Conservatives for the next 30 years at the next election.

Things have just got very serious for Con. We could be at an 1846 moment.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,016
    I guess we know why that Ashcroft constituency polling was splashed now. Gives him cover against the ‘he knew he was going to lose’ snipes.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Check out Nige's Tweet

Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage
    ·
    1h
    Whatever the failures of Boris Johnson’s time as PM, I will always be thankful for him joining the Brexit campaign.

Nigel saying something nice about Boris? Nah!

Boris is going to stand at Mid-Beds for REFORM... If he fizzles out that's the end. If he wins he will become REFORM leader and might just split the Conservatives for the next 30 years.

Things have just got very serious for Con. We could be at an 1846 moment.

18:46? The last time a Tory MP resigned?
  • Options

I thought it was only in the final six months of a Parliament they can be delayed until the next election?
    So far as I remember, there's no actual requirement for when a writ is called. It's up to Parliament. It can theoretically be put off until a general election occurs.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    A Borisovian loyalist, Campbell-Bannerman, on Newsnight now, bewailing the terrible miscarriage of injustice.

End of democracy, witchhunt, Harriet Harman to blame, establishment stitch-up, punishment for Brexit, etc.
This discussion has been closed.