Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Boris Johnson stand in the Mid Beds by election – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,828
edited June 2023 in General
Could Boris Johnson stand in the Mid Beds by election – politicalbetting.com

Could Boris stand in Mid Beds?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,957
    First
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    If I may quote me, yesterday

"Chiltern hundreds, a year-odd of lecture tours and schmoozing selection committees in proper safe seats."

Now that's what I call political commentary.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924
    Was that the shortest thread in PB history?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,040
    Already? I was just starting to enjoy the last one…pulled before its time.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Keir Starmer celebrating with champers
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,021
    edited June 2023
    Never trust Boris.
    Is he going to stand again in Uxbridge? Or, even, Mid Beds? And, could he win?

I can see him running an explicitly anti-Rishi, pro-populist campaign, and - shudder - winning.

By doing so he neatly avoids censure and comes back stronger than ever.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,302
    Shakespeare would call this "The lie direct"

"Johnson told the Times: “It is very sad to be leaving parliament - at least for now - but above all I am bewildered and appalled that I can be forced out, anti-democratically, by a committee chaired and managed, by Harriet Harman, with such egregious bias” "
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,644
    CatMan said:

» show previous quotes
    If he loses than he's a loser.

If he quits he can say "I would have won if I stood".

Granted. But even with his many backers some will surely be disheartened that he is not even attempting to fight it - his statement studiously ignoring what the actual process entails is implicit admission he was toast (even though I and others would have given him a chance at a win), which itself makes his whails less impactful outside GB news.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,645
    A bit breathless from @TSE

He would have to be selected. Sunak would make sure it didn't happen. And he would lose anyway.

So probably 'no'.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,283
    CatMan said:

All the posters last thread seemed to miss the key qualification in Boris' statement 'it is very sad to be leaving parliament...AT LEAST FOR NOW.' Based on that he could well stand as the Conservative candidate in the by election, Uxbridge Tories have already re selected him as their parliamentary candidate
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 672
    This thread has resigned
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,805
    Boris Johnson is a better person than Jeremy Corbyn.

When BJ gets a report lambasting his behaviour over a party, he resigns. When JC gets a report accusing the party he ran of being anti-Semitic, he stays on as an MP.

Discuss. ;)

(Runs for cover)
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314
    It won't be the last we hear of Boris Johnson, not by a long chalk
  • Options

Never trust Boris.
    Is he going to stand again in Uxbridge? Or, even, Mid Beds?

It is an interesting tactic. Unlike Braverman he cannot return within a weak claiming to have learned his lesson of course.

I repeat that Boris had a chance, though clearly he was not confident, if he had followed the process through to its end - that he is jumping ship and pretending he was pushed, is one additional bit of misleading behaviour.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

If I may quote me, yesterday

"Chiltern hundreds, a year-odd of lecture tours and schmoozing selection committees in proper safe seats."

Now that's what I call political commentary.

Uxbridge still has a Conservative majority controlled council (Hillingdon) now unlike most Tory seats and was more Leave than the UK and English average. If Boris wants a safe seat his best bet may be to stick to the one he currently represents
  • Options
    Boris just wanted to screw TSE's thread so waited for it go up before breaking the news.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    geoffw said:

I agree. Sadly. He's a deeply flawed individual, and a poor politician. Albeit with the common touch, despite his background.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boris just wanted to screw TSE's thread so waited for it go up before breaking the news.

A reminder to PBers, Mike's on holiday until Monday.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Brilliant news!
  • Options
    QTWTAIN
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,120

Never trust Boris.
    Is he going to stand again in Uxbridge? Or, even, Mid Beds? And, could he win?

I can see him running an explicitly anti-Rishi, pro-populist campaign, and - shudder - winning.

I was just thinking to myself of the playbook based around "Ken Livingston standing as an 'independent' then returning, triumphant, to the fold"...
  • Options
    geoffw said:

He's a busted flush.

Lacks the support of MPs. The only way back for him is if the tories are hammered at the next election and they turn to him.

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,478
    Good riddance to Johnson . Clearly the committee findings were damning and now he’s playing the martyr .
  • Options
    I think we can count today as the countdown to the next GE. We've not really yet moved on from Boris, and so his departure marks the closure of this chapter of the story, and the rest is just a slow dragging out as Rishi ekes out as much time as PM as he can manage.

With angry Borisites now free to act out without consequence, dispirited core Tories, 'moderates' without ideas or support, and economical and governmental systems affected by a malaise so deep it makes you understand why people gave Truss a shot, there's no recovery from here.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,646
    Johnson and Dorries 4D Chess?
    What bollocks. Neither have any political strategy skills whatsoever.
    Wanted Brexit. No idea how to go about it.
    Wanted to be PM. No plan for how to achieve any of his advertised goals.
  • Options
    Donald Trump’s lawyers have resigned shortly after he became the first former President ever to be indicted on federal charges.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1667251157339701248
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,648
    If Johnson does stand in Mid Beds it will be vitally important that he loses. Otherwise he would have received explicit backing from the electorate of Mid Beds for setting aside any system of holding politicians to any level of standards. They would have approved of his lying to the House.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    He’s gone full Donald. Dangerous.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

All the posters last thread seemed to miss the key qualification in Boris' statement 'it is very sad to be leaving parliament...AT LEAST FOR NOW.' Based on that he could well stand as the Conservative candidate in the by election, Uxbridge Tories have already re selected him as their parliamentary candidate
    You must be in shock but many of us are delighted he has resigned

He has torn into the privileges committee and Rishi Sunak and I doubt Sunak is going to endorse him standing again
  • Options

Donald Trump’s lawyers have resigned shortly after he became the first former President ever to be indicted on federal charges.

He has so many lawyers (many of whom end up quitting or even turning on him). Gods know why they work for him.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 632
    A very Trumpian response from Boris....it was the other lot!!
    He should be thankful he is not going to jail... is he?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Just as the tactical nukes move in Belarus and now *this*. And I've just poured some fizzy lemon into some ice lolly moulds too. If this all goes a bit 'Threads' before I've had a chance to try them I'll be well miffed.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    kle4 said:

He has so many lawyers (many of whom end up quitting or even turning on him). Gods know why they work for him.
    Huge amounts of IOU's money, assumedly?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

He has torn into the privileges committee and Rishi Sunak and I doubt Sunak is going to endorse him standing again
    Most Tory members will demand Sunak lets him stand again
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Good riddance to Johnson . Clearly the committee findings were damning and now he’s playing the martyr .

Given the level of resistance and bluster he has engaged in to date, it is telling he decided to go out early in theatrical fashion rather than drag it out to a vote and recall petition. It does suggest that at the least he saw no further benefit to

I assume he felt the point he wanted had already been made - his supporters have long referred to the committee as a kangaroo court - and would not strengthened any further, so no point in belabouring it.

Choosing Trump indictment day is an interesting choice.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

What’s he said about Rishi?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,717
    On previous thread, if not this one, is there any polling on what proportion of FLORIDA Republicans don’t care if their president is a convicted felon? Because they do care about denying convicted felons the right to vote, even where the conviction is for the flimsiest misdemeanour imaginable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

You’re ignoring his explicit criticism of Sunak. If you’re right it becomes a test of your leader’s authority. Such division would be terminal for this government.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,197
    Evening all :)

The first point is, sans Johnson, Uxbridge & South Ruislip is going to be a tougher seat to hold - not impossible but given current polling, difficult. The Old Bexley & Sidcup by-election in late 2021 saw a 10% swing to Labour - that would be enough to turn Uxbridge & South Ruislip red.

Let's assume with fanfares, Johnson arrives in Flitwick (not quite Caesar entering Rome).

There are two questions - what happens if he wins and what happens if he loses?

Those claiming to be masters of 4-D chess might want to consider each scenario.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He wants to support the university sector. He's patron of the Trump University "Defence of Donald Trump" faculty, which outputs thousands of lawyers a year for the purposes of defending Donald Trump.

There's a place somewhere that has cages full of 'em, available to go on TV to defend Donald Trump ...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

He has virtually accused him of surrendering brexit
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,293
    edited June 2023
    Boris, unlike Farage, actually could get a new party set up and winning seats in the Commons under the Brexiteer flag if he wanted to.

Of course, he won’t, as that would involve work. He now gets to double down on lectures/articles/books on why he was right all along.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,184
    A minute's silence for BJO's hero.
  • Options
    Will the privileges committee still issue their report or is that the end of it ?
  • Options
    2 down.... Putin out of a window next??
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

Bit of an odd way to go about it though isn't it? Sticking it out through the process would have rallied MPs to explicitly come out and back him, and undermine Rishi massively.

Seems more likely it's a nod to a future comeback - once Rishi loses big in 2024, and Boris can point to the contrast with his own time.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

Just as the tactical nukes move in Belarus and now *this*. And I've just poured some fizzy lemon into some ice lolly moulds too. If this all goes a bit 'Threads' before I've had a chance to try them I'll be well miffed.
    Mike takes back control Monday morning.
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

We're not that lucky.

(and sadly one of them is not yet down either).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

Conservative mps will not support Johnson standing this side of a GE24
  • Options
    What of Moon Rabbit’s predictions now?
  • Options
    Anything new, lads? Been a long day at work.

Oh.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Boris, unlike Farage, actually could get a new party set up and winning seats in the Commons under the Brexiteer flag.

Of course, he won’t, as that would involve work. He now gets to double down on lectures/articles/books on why he was right all along.

Boris/Farage dream ticket. Apart from the ego clash of course. And by 'ego' I obviously mean deeply held philosophical and political beliefs. To be clear.
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

Sigh…. And now the idiots who think Boris is similar to Trump and/or has links to Putin come out and make me want to defend him.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,379
    What happens to the report now?

After all, if Boris isn't an MP, there's nothing to discuss.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,029
    Boris is gone. :+1:

Now for Trump... "Lock him up!"
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Heathener said:

He would have to be selected. Sunak would make sure it didn't happen. And he would lose anyway.

So probably 'no'.

Da grass rootz is livid at their darling liz being turfed out and then not getting a say over Rishi. Selection committees are autonomous, rishi does not have the power to tell them what to do.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,575
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

Given the level of resistance and bluster he has engaged in to date, it is telling he decided to go out early in theatrical fashion rather than drag it out to a vote and recall petition. It does suggest that at the least he saw no further benefit to

I assume he felt the point he wanted had already been made - his supporters have long referred to the committee as a kangaroo court - and would not strengthened any further, so no point in belabouring it.

If that’s his game I don’t think he’ll get far with it. He’s not Trump, and the public mood on Boris has shifted fairly definitively.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

Tory members will quite properly be told to f*** off.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The first point is, sans Johnson, Uxbridge & South Ruislip is going to be a tougher seat to hold - not impossible but given current polling, difficult. The Old Bexley & Sidcup by-election in late 2021 saw a 10% swing to Labour - that would be enough to turn Uxbridge & South Ruislip red.

Let's assume with fanfares, Johnson arrives in Flitwick (not quite Caesar entering Rome).

A more interesting scenario (and perhaps more realistic), is what if he goes down the Ken Livingstone route in Mid-Beds?

(The Independent candidate, not the musings on Hitler, that is)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

Which is why the Conservative Party is not fit for govt.

IMO it is basically corrupt to the core...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

He really is a malign individual.
  • Options
    Most people looking at this are just going to conclude that the tory party are in total disarray.

Expect a further plunge in their polling deficit, close to the Liz Truss days.

Chaos.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,716
    edited June 2023
    Some more news in in the last half hour..

"A new pro-Boris caucus of Tory MP's, thought to be 100-strong and calling itself "Save Democracy and Save Boris", is threatening a challenge to Rishi Sunak's leadership.

Nadine Dorries, considered a key figure in the new SDSB grouping, is threatening to start a new party if Sunak does not publicly defend her former leader and pinup."

NEW THREAD..
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Will the privileges committee still issue their report or is that the end of it ?

Good point but I assume the report is negated by his immediate resignation
  • Options
    Johnson blaming Brexit revenge which is ludicrous given the committee has a majority of Tory MPs .

• Options
    DougSeal said:

What of Moon Rabbit’s predictions now?

MoonRabbit’s predictions have only a glancing overlap with reality, so I suspect they remain unchanged.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Penddu2 said:

We're not that lucky.

(and sadly one of them is not yet down either).
    but is well on his way...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

Yep there's no chance.

He's not popular with his MPs especially after the fiasco of the last leadership coitus interruptus.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

kle4 said:

nico679 said:

If that’s his game I don’t think he’ll get far with it. He’s not Trump, and the public mood on Boris has shifted fairly definitively.
    A big difference as well is for all the support he undoubtedly still has in the party and parliament, our MPs really are tougher (more protected from primary challengers for a start) - they forced him out initially, and however much some might regret that many others do not, even if they know they are heading for defeat.
    Miklosvar said:

Heathener said:

So probably 'no'.

Da grass rootz is livid at their darling liz being turfed out and then not getting a say over Rishi. Selection committees are autonomous, rishi does not have the power to tell them what to do.
    That seems improbable - Corbyn's lot said the same thing but the Labour party rules allow the national body to get involved, I'd be astonished if the Tory rulebook did not permit the same.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,005
    Johnson will be releasing his sob story soon, alongside the usual Boris lovers rallying around him
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,354
    Same old Johnson, always lying.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

He's also calling for large tax cuts.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

Yep there's no chance.

He's not popular with his MPs especially after the fiasco of the last leadership coitus interruptus.
    Not as PM and Conservative Leader maybe, but there would be uproar from the party grassroots and at least a third of Conservative MPs if Sunak and the Tory leadership try and prevent Boris even standing again as an MP
  • Options

nico679 said:

Good point but I assume the report is negated by his immediate resignation
    Doesn’t this mean though that he can effectively stop them releasing what would be a damning conclusion, play the martyr , stand again in the future and come back .
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,929

Listening to that news clip, these charges sound flimsy and unconvincing. It sounds exactly how he describes it, a witch hunt.
    In practical terms this situation will simply assist his re-election bid and it will be likely to do terminal damage to US politics and society.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,061

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

That may well suit Johnson, to avoid being tainted by the bloodbath at the next GE, then to turn up as the saviour.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Penddu2 said:

Sigh…. And now the idiots who think Boris is similar to Trump and/or has links to Putin come out and make me want to defend him.
    Are there some similarities? Sure. But people overplay it. Boris is establishment through and through. He's no outsider moulding the party to his whims, he's a aprt of the factional ebb and flow. He's sound on Ukraine, covid, he's actually fairly liberal in several areas, etc. He's awful in many other ways, but the Trump line, for me, just downplays where he is awful in a different way, and, pains me to say it, forces ignoring where he is sound.

Boris is also demonstrably a winner compared to Trump.
  • Options
    Boris standing again would be a direct challenge to Sunak’s authority. Either way that ends the overall effect on the Conservative Party would be a catastrophe. Divided doesn’t come close.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Listening to that news clip, these charges sound flimsy and unconvincing. It sounds exactly how he describes it, a witch hunt.
    In practical terms this situation will simply assist his re-election bid and it will be likely to do terminal damage to US politics and society.
    Have you read the endictments . The charges are very serious .
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,302
    Tres said:

Same old Johnson, always lying.

And here is an example. Pure Trump translated into Borisese.

“I am now being forced out of parliament by a tiny handful of people, with no evidence to back up their assertions, and without the approval even of Conservative party members let alone the wider electorate.”

• Options
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

Yep there's no chance.

Johnson’s action tonight has ensured those who may have given him a pass will reject his malign and disloyal resignation

I hope that the parliamentary party will now close in behind Sunak though this will have a damaging effect on the party
  • Options
    darkage said:

What????

Oh. You're talking about Trump...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,764
    We are shit at prediction. Nobody predicted an immediate resignation. :(
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303
    The cancer is expunging itself.

Now, let's get back to a proper Conservative party and prepare to beat Labour next year.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Boris standing again would be a direct challenge to Sunak’s authority. Either way that ends the overall effect on the Conservative Party would be a catastrophe. Divided doesn’t come close.

Corbyn will likely stand again in Islington North as an Independent, despite the NEC blocking him standing again as a Labour candidate
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 287
    These Tories, just think it's all about them, couldn't give a fuck about the country, what we need is a General Election, turkeys won't vote for Xmas unfortunately
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

A more interesting scenario (and perhaps more realistic), is what if he goes down the Ken Livingstone route in Mid-Beds?

(The Independent candidate, not the musings on Hitler, that is)
    An interesting thought. He’d win handily of course.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,197
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

What's your position? IF Boris is disallowed as a candidate, would you consider your position as a Conservative Party member?

Earlier, there was some comment on the way Starmer had purged the Corbynites from the Labour Party - perhaps this will be Sunak's opportunity to purge Johnson and his supporters - in any event, what could party members do? Yes, they could challenge their sitting MP but they have no power (short of de-selection) to compel their MP to write in to challenge Sunak.

In any case, what would it look like to a puzzled electorate - yet another Conservative leadership upheaval?
  • Options
    darkage said:

It doesn't sound flimsy to me. It sounds like an unsexy case where he has needlessly held onto documents he was not supposed to and obstructed their return. The public don't care about that sort of thing (except with their opponents, see him and Hilary), but having read the indictment the facts are pretty basic and compelling in that his aide moved stuff to hide it from the FBI and others, and the trickier part may be proving he definitely did that at Trump's direction - though there are quotes.

Yes it will help his re-election bid, he may even win the presidential election, but the indictment is far more convincing than the NY case, which relies on several complex predicates.
  • Options
    Sky saying even those close to Johnson are shocked tonight and asking why has he done it

I expect he will haemorrhage a lot of support within the party
  • Options

The cancer is expunging itself.

Now, let's get back to a proper Conservative party and prepare to beat Labour next year.

For once I agree with you... well partly. In order to get back to a proper Conservative party, they need time in opposition. There is still plenty of cancer needing removal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Penddu2 said:

Are there some similarities? Sure. But people overplay it. Boris is establishment through and through. He's no outsider moulding the party to his whims, he's a aprt of the factional ebb and flow. He's sound on Ukraine, covid, he's actually fairly liberal in several areas, etc. He's awful in many other ways, but the Trump line, for me, just downplays where he is awful in a different way, and, pains me to say it, forces ignoring where he is sound.

In what way is he a winner by comparison?
    Both won one election.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Penddu2 said:

Yup it’s all just lazy analogies. Boris is within the norms of Parliamentary democracy. Trump is not.
  • Options

Sky saying even those close to Johnson are shocked tonight and asking why has he done it

I expect he will haemorrhage a lot of support within the party

Eh, who knows on the latter, but I can believe the first - one thing that did for Boris in the end was he was constantly demanding MPs in general defend his behaviour and actions, then he'd do the same thing again or u-turn on a policy or something, making them look like fools. They finally had enough of being treated that way.

It would be fitting if many of them were really gearing up to back him one last time, truly believed in doing so too, and he pulled the rug from under them.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Brilliant news!

Welcome back
  • Options

Johnson will be releasing his sob story soon, alongside the usual Boris lovers rallying around him

There are precious few Boris-lovers on here tonight. It'd be interesting to go back to 2019 and see how many posters refusing BJ now were firmly BJ-lovers then ... ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    [deleted: double post]
  • Options
    The committee should release their report . Why should Johnson get to play the martyr .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Corbyn will likely stand again in Islington North as an Independent, despite the NEC blocking him standing again as a Labour candidate
    At the next GE. Not now. And not as a Labour candidate. The differences are obvious.
This discussion has been closed.