Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Boris Johnson stand in the Mid Beds by election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,990

Henry Hill of ConHome saying Johnson is done and in the longer term good for Sunak

Sunak doesn't have a longer term. He has until the election. He is a dead man walking and such people have little power and patronage.

Personally, I think he deserved better but that's the way it is.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,560

I'll go for Priti Patel and Conor Burns.

BREAKING I am hearing rumours of a THIRD Tory MP loyal to Boris Johnson who might resign tonight.

BREAKING Now a fourth Tory MP allied to Boris Johnson is said by Conservative MPs to be considering quitting Parliament tonight.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1667259420030521354

It doesn't help Johnson to have all his supporters resign as MPs - what's going on?

A new Boris Johnson Party?
    “I could have saved the day, but I was forced out of Parliament. Without me, he Party went down to this terrible defeat, which I had nothing to do with….”
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,468
    I feel sorry for Trump's lawyers.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010
    "This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Johnson, it shall soon see the end of Trump!"
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,008

This is like the finale of a show that debuted in 2016

https://twitter.com/harriet1marsden/status/1667258619740540939/photo/1

Not quite.
    The finale is 24 when Biden beats Trump one last time and the Tories go down in a landslide.

We still have one final redux from both Boris and Trump to go.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,595
    kle4 said:

I voted Tory at the 2019 European elections, which makes me more of a Tory than most Tory party members and many of their MPs I'd bet.

Despite what I've just said about Boris I do not regret voting Tory in 2019. Not one iota. Corbyn would have been a catastrophically bad PM, just think of how the UK would have reacted to what's happened in Ukraine with Corbyn in charge. 2019 was a "the devil or the deep blue sea" election, but I think the country made the right choice.

Now if the UK's political parties would just refrain from electing terrible leaders that would really help.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1667213691069054997?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

Wouldn’t it be funny if there were someone on the list of Johnson’s resignation honours who did cocaine in the chamber of the House of Commons after hours? Well, I know there’s one on there for sure but I suspect there’s more than one.
  • Options
    glw said:

kle4 said:

I voted Tory at the 2019 European elections, which makes me more of a Tory than most Tory party members and many of their MPs I'd bet.

Despite what I've just said about Boris I do not regret voting Tory in 2019. Not one iota. Corbyn would have been a catastrophically bad PM, just think of how the UK would have reacted to what's happened in Ukraine with Corbyn in charge. 2019 was a "the devil or the deep blue sea" election, but I think the country made the right choice.

Now if the UK's political parties would just refrain from electing terrible leaders that would really help.
    Plus those undemocratic, lying pissants in the previous Parliament really needed a sound kicking if our democracy was to be secure.
  • Options
    glw said:

kle4 said:

I voted neither Tory nor Labour in 19.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,969
    DavidL said:

Henry Hill of ConHome saying Johnson is done and in the longer term good for Sunak

Sunak doesn't have a longer term. He has until the election. He is a dead man walking and such people have little power and patronage.

A like for 'that's the way it is' but did he deserve better? Er, no.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,354
    edited June 2023

I don't think he's read his own indictment given that photo was taken by his co-indicted co-conspirator long before the FBI was involved. But I guess that is just the sign of a flimsy witchhunt.

Of course, it only matters to him what all his rivals and media acolytes say, and mostly that's to kiss his button.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    glw said:

kle4 said:

Well, the deep blue sea's been unselected and the devil's done a runner.
  • Options
    EXCL: Prince Andrew will not be part of the Order of the Garter procession again this year.

Sources say that last year set a precedent and he will continue to be denied a public-facing role.

Andrew had been hoping the King would take a softer stance

https://twitter.com/emsferg/status/1667266330351874049
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887

glw said:

kle4 said:

Yep, there were further options.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,057

Longer term? Lol!

We’re still on course for zero Tory seats in Wales. The Welsh love the Drake and despise the sleazy slimy corrupt Tories!
  • Options
    glw said:

kle4 said:

Ed Davey is...fine?
  • Options

DavidL said:

He's a highly capable guy who has chosen public service over making serious money for himself. That sort of person is a lot thinner on the ground than they used to be.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Nigelb said:

He couldn’t handle the truth, or face the music.
    So has done a runner.

Pitiful.

And entirely in character.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332
    murali_s said:

Longer term? Lol!

We’re still on course for zero Tory seats in Wales. The Welsh love the Drake and despise the sleazy slimy corrupt Tories!
    Which is ironic as Drakeford's rule in Wales makes Johnson look saintly and competent.
  • Options
    A devastatingly successful Ukrainian operation right now would be a nice dessert after this filling meal of stories.
  • Options
    EXCLUSIVE

The privileges committee will press on with publishing report into Boris Johnson after concluding he misled Parliament over partygate

Given that he is not responding, publication of the report is now likely to be expedited unless Govt tables a 'rescinding motion'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1667266534136225797
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He's a highly capable guy who has chosen public service over making serious money for himself. That sort of person is a lot thinner on the ground than they used to be.
    Also, he has horrendous judgement but I don't think he's actively malign, unlike say Johnson, Cummings or Mogg.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,059
    An indelible stain on the Conservative Party that they ever allowed such a man to become Prime Minister.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,129

If Johnson does stand in Mid Beds it will be vitally important that he loses. Otherwise he would have received explicit backing from the electorate of Mid Beds for setting aside any system of holding politicians to any level of standards. They would have approved of his lying to the House.

Arguably the principle is the other way round. The electorate have the right to vote for whomever they like.
    Of course they do, but who they vote for matters, and if they vote for an MP who lied to the Commons that will have disastrous consequences.

Imagine if Neil Hamilton and won election in 1997? The effect on politics would have been incredibly corrosive.

All people with an interest in the health of our democracy must hope that if Johnson stands for election he is defeated.
    Yes. You cannot dissolve the people and elect another. As the USA is currently discovering. Democracy places itself in the hands of the demos. It is a fragile thing, as fragile as human rationality.

• Options
    I'm going to bed, if the Tory Party could stop setting itself on fire until 7am tomorrow morning I'd appreciate it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Plus those undemocratic, lying pissants in the previous Parliament really needed a sound kicking if our democracy was to be secure.
    I think they accurately represented a very divided country.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,997

EXCLUSIVE

The privileges committee will press on with publishing report into Boris Johnson after concluding he misled Parliament over partygate

Given that he is not responding, publication of the report is now likely to be expedited unless Govt tables a 'rescinding motion'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1667266534136225797

Let's hope it is published and quickly
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,301

An indelible stain on the Conservative Party that they ever allowed such a man to become Prime Minister.

No, it's the voters who put him in power. The bastards.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,951
    Does this shift people’s view on an early GE?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Incorrect, the Tory MPs and then members voted him in first.
  • Options
    Apols for the possibly dumb question but I am playing catch-up: Mad Nad's resigning with immediate effect but has not been given a peerage, is that right?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,842

glw said:

kle4 said:

I voted spending the day at Twickenham for the Varsity Rugby drinking to forget the horror shows on offer that Thursday.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,993
    edited June 2023

I'm going to bed, if the Tory Party could stop setting itself on fire until 7am tomorrow morning I'd appreciate it.

Pop quiz: How many Tory MPs will have taken the Chiltern Hundreds / Manor of Northsted by 7am tomorrow?

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,249
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Also, he has horrendous judgement but I don't think he's actively malign, unlike say Johnson, Cummings or Mogg.
    Sunak didn't do much to aid the rise of Johnson and Cummings, but he did what he could and more than was necessary.

No reason to pity Rishi that much.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,388
    I find it difficult to know which victim of injustice I feel sorrier for - Donald Trump or Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

He was put into power by the Tory party. They could have elected Rory Stewart instead. Unforgivable.
  • Options

Spoilsport!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Incorrect, the Tory MPs and then members voted him in first.
    But the voters gave him power, as I said

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,997

Apols for the possibly dumb question but I am playing catch-up: Mad Nad's resigning with immediate effect but has not been given a peerage, is that right?

Yes

Not in the HOC or HOL and made my day
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    148grss said:

Does this shift people’s view on an early GE?

Unless it's the start of a coordinated exit by the losers, no.

Or unless Johnson stands in a by election and wins, but I think the quickest way for the Tories to lose Mid Beds to the Lib Dems would be if he stood there, either for the party or as an Indy,
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,203
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Why do people insist on saying “with immediate effect” instead of just “immediately”.

Elect me as PM and I will put a stop to it, with immediate effect.
    One PM you will do it 'at pace'. 'With immediate effect' would actually require a result. Which can only be promised before becoming PM.

At pace seems to be the favourite phrase in Whitehall these days. Usually applied to projects that are running a year behind schedule.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,859

You are causing me anxiety, TSE.

Will you please confirm that Mike isn;t going away while the Ashes are on.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He was right about Liz Truss's madness (not a high bar admittedly but one the majority of his party's membership stumbled over); he was very probably right about the unacceptable consequences of lockdowns; he was a fairly decent Chancellor without doing a lot about the underlying problems and he was right to resign and bring down Johnson for lying.

OTOH he appointed Cruella. So you are probably right.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,886
    Ladbrokes Uxbridge + South Ruislip

Labour 1/6
    Tories 4/1
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Muesli said:

Let’s face it: if Johnson does go for Dorries’s seat, it wouldn’t be the first time he’s tried to sneak into Beds where he doesn’t belong.

Gee thanks. I've now got a mental image of him in Beds with Nad.
  • Options

You are causing me anxiety, TSE.

Will you please confirm that Mike isn;t going away while the Ashes are on.
    No, but I am.
  • Options
    Off topic, I took a couple of my colleagues up the viaduct at lunchtime.

While that may sound like a euphemism it isn't:

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/lifestyle/homes-and-gardens/monk-bridge-viaduct-inside-the-secret-garden-on-top-of-a-railway-viaduct-in-leeds-city-centre-4041884
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,226
    Boris

LOL
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,878
    Muesli said:

Let’s face it: if Johnson does go for Dorries’s seat, it wouldn’t be the first time he’s tried to sneak into Beds where he doesn’t belong.

Nobody's topping that today, you win.
  • Options
    Chris said:

I find it difficult to know which victim of injustice I feel sorrier for - Donald Trump or Boris Johnson.

Is it time for the nano violin? 🎻
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    DougSeal said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

I voted spending the day at Twickenham for the Varsity Rugby drinking to forget the horror shows on offer that Thursday.
    I voted LD. It was a very easy decision given who was leading Labour and the Tories.
  • Options

Pop quiz: How many Tory MPs will have taken the Chiltern Hundreds / Manor of Northsted by 7am tomorrow?

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
    D) (Hopefully)
  • Options
    A good day to sell champagne in Maidenhead.

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1667248106533003264
  • Options
    Really feel Boris missed an opportunity in his bitterness at being ousted (not that bitterness is unexpected at such a time). He should have put my suggestion to Liz and Rishi that he be made a special envoy to Ukraine and Eastern Europe, make him the face of government bullishness around supporting the Ukrainians. He's box office and rock solid on the issue, it would have worked.

Oh well, the NATO gig is free of course.
  • Options

• Options

DougSeal said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

I voted LD. It was a very easy decision given who was leading Labour and the Tories.
    No LibDems in Cannock Chase. I had Socialist nutters, Johnsonite nutters or Ecofascist nutters.

So I tore up my ballot paper.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,705
    edited June 2023

BREAKING I am hearing rumours of a THIRD Tory MP loyal to Boris Johnson who might resign tonight.

BREAKING Now a fourth Tory MP allied to Boris Johnson is said by Conservative MPs to be considering quitting Parliament tonight.

I'm not quite sure what the point of this is, other than the end of the line for the Borisites.

They will know it certainly isn't going going to unseat Sunak on those numbers, or, or in a different direction, help develop a breakaway parliamentary party from within ; it seems more just like the end of the road.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,402
    kle4 said:

A devastatingly successful Ukrainian operation right now would be a nice dessert after this filling meal of stories.

Well, a few people have noted that the Russians have spent the last few days sharing different video of the same engagement from earlier in the week, suggesting that the Russians haven't done so well in subsequent days (or at least they don't have the video to show for it). So I'm cautiously optimistic.
  • Options
    Bozzatron would have been destroyed in a byelection as I said on here earlier.

Obviously he’s going to run scared.

What a laughable twat he is.

L

O

L
  • Options

I'm not quite sure what the point of this is, other than the end of the line for the Borisites.

It certainly isn't going to unseat Sunak, or help a breakaway ; seems more like the end of the road.
    Say Sunak loses six by elections in one night then I reckon he's toast, seeing Rishi ousted would cheer up Boris and his fan club.
  • Options

It certainly isn't going to unseat Sunak, or help a breakaway ; seems more like the end of the road.
    Lack of infrastructure investment strikes again.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,670
    Johnson says he's been forced out by the Privileges Committee investigation. But the Committee's recommendations have to be approved by the Commons and then there has to be a recall petition before Johnson would have been forced out, and he could still stand and win the subsequent by-election.

So, what he's saying is he doesn't trust his Parliamentary colleagues or his constituents.

Oh, why am I surprised that he's still lying...
  • Options

If enough of them go it would erode his majority. That might bring an election into play I suppose.

But I think most of them are sufficiently greedy and pompous to want to stay.

It would take at least 30 and I can't see 30 MPs from this venal lot going all at once. Ten, maybe.
  • Options
    SteveSSteveS Posts: 92
    I’m surprised by todays events.

I’m green on a 2024 election and ever so slightly red on 2023. Thinking about laying 2023 a bit as I suspect there has been an overreaction
  • Options
    L

O

L
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Say Sunak loses six by elections in one night then I reckon he's toast, seeing Rishi ousted would cheer up Boris and his fan club.
    Yes, this is presumably now the hope, if not plan.
    Although I’m not sure, apart from pure revenge, how that really helps Boris.

I’m struggling to see the turn of events that brings him back into power.
  • Options

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
    D) (Hopefully)
    At most two I think:
    Under a Resolution of the House of 2 March 1624, Members of Parliament cannot directly resign their seat.

Death, disqualification and expulsion are the only means by which a Member's seat may be vacated during the lifetime of a Parliament. There are two such offices that are used for disqualification: Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds and of the Manor of Northstead.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/guides/factsheets/procedure/p11/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Lack of infrastructure investment strikes again.
    Serves them right for cutting HS2 in a bid to scrap it on the quiet.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If enough of them go it would erode his majority. That might bring an election into play I suppose.

But I think most of them are sufficiently greedy and pompous to want to stay.

It would take at least 30 and I can't see 30 MPs from this venal lot going all at once. Ten, maybe.
    Exactly. I'm sure they know there's not enough of them.

A heroic withdrawal, they feel.
  • Options
    Oh

Boris Johnson

I wanna knoooooooooooow

Why you’re such a ….
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,864
    In case anyone is in any doubt the LDs are going for the Mid Beds seat I got my email asking for help at 5.33 pm. Didn't hang around.
  • Options
    LOL
  • Options

Oh

Boris Johnson

I wanna knoooooooooooow

Why you’re such a ….

As Hacker said of Basil Corbett:

'He lies not because it's in his interests, but because it's in his nature.'
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,842

They will know it certainly isn't going going to unseat Sunak on those numbers, or, or in a different direction, help develop a breakaway parliamentary party from within ; it seems more just like the end of the road.
    I’d be surprised if anyone else resigns tonight over this. What reason would they give?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    geoffw said:

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
    D) (Hopefully)
    At most two I think:
    Under a Resolution of the House of 2 March 1624, Members of Parliament cannot directly resign their seat.

Death, disqualification and expulsion are the only means by which a Member's seat may be vacated during the lifetime of a Parliament. There are two such offices that are used for disqualification: Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds and of the Manor of Northstead.

What happens if you get multiples is I think they get appointed in swift succession, so people only 'hold' the positions very briefly.

These offices are today purely nominal and are ordinarily given by the Chancellor of the Exchequer to any Member5 who applies for them6 or who otherwise indicates to the Chancellor an intention to retire.7 Each office is retained only until the Chancellor appoints another Member who wishes to retire, or until the holder applies for release from it.
    https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/section/5412/chiltern-hundreds-and-manor-of-northstead?highlight=chiltern hundreds

7 is key as it means you don't have to ask for one of them to be appointed, (sorry, Sinn Fein), and the last bit would seem on its face suggests the Chancellor can swiftly appoint someone else.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,249
    edited June 2023

But since BoJo wouldn't be available to return, Churchill-like, and his key fan club wouldn't be there either, that would be a stupid petulant act of nihilist self-harm. If we're not in absolute charge, we don't want to play...

... Oh, like everything else the Brexversitive Party has done. Put like that, makes perfect sense.
  • Options

Oh

Boris Johnson

I wanna knoooooooooooow

Why you’re such a ….

It’s really screwed The Kunts bid for a Christmas Number One.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228

Disagree. MPs will blame Johnson and the others who followed him for the defeats. Sunak's Clause IV moment in standing up unequivocally to these wreckers?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
    D) (Hopefully)
    At most two I think:

So if Nadine gets Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds then it would be the Manor of Northstead for Boris.
    I suppose

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,206

Special Counsel alleges the Iran attack plan is indeed a classified document that Trump shared.👇

Extraordinary risks to U.S. national security. Foreign adversaries would pay tens of millions for that info.

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1667230245026406428
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,052
    Foxy said:

Johnson will be releasing his sob story soon, alongside the usual Boris lovers rallying around him

There are precious few Boris-lovers on here tonight. It'd be interesting to go back to 2019 and see how many posters refusing BJ now were firmly BJ-lovers then ... ;)
    I voted remain and was a member at the time of the leadership election between Johnson and Hunt and I abstained as I was not happy about either

However as a conservative I voted for the party and to be fair felt Johnson did OK with covid and Ukraine but his actions from patersongate to partygate turned me against him and I turned to Sunak before Truss won and support him since
    Far easier on the conscience tonight to note that I have never voted Conservative, and I wouldn't vote for a party led by Johnson if it was the only party on the list.
    I have voted Conservative in the past, but the last time I did so was 2010. After that, when they started becoming populists and nationalists, I stopped voting for them.

There is no Conservative Party at present - just a bunch of centre-right nutters and opportunists.
    Me too. I could vote for a socially liberal pro-european Conservative party. That seems to be extinct now.
    Ed Davey's LDs are that already in all but name
  • Options
    To paraphrase Mandy:

I am a quitter, not a fighter!
    I overestimated Hartlepool, and I overestimated me.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    deleted … quatch
  • Options
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
    D) (Hopefully)
    At most two I think:

What happens if you get multiples is I think they get appointed in swift succession, so people only 'hold' the positions very briefly.
    That's what happened with the Ulster Unionists in 1985 over Sunningdale. 16 consecutive appointments to I think Bailiff of Northstead in 24 hours.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
    D) (Hopefully)
    At most two I think:

Yup, that's what happened in 1985 when all 15 UUP/DUP MPs resigned at once.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,052
    edited June 2023

kle4 said:

Same, I voted Tory in the European elections.
    So did I and thanks to our combined votes May's Tories won a magnificent 9% of the vote and 4 MEPs at the 2019 UK European Parliament elections, the first ever national election the Conservatives got less than 10% of the vote
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,670
    geoffw said:

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
    D) (Hopefully)
    At most two I think:

Yes, but you can be appointed to the office, thus being disqualified, and then someone else can be appointed to the office half an hour later, or less. They are just magic tokens.
  • Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Boris Johnson

I wann knooooooooooooooooow

Why you’re such a …
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Same, I voted Tory in the European elections.
    So did I and thanks to our combined votes May's Tories won a magnificent 9% of the vote and 3 MEPs at the 2019 UK European Parliament elections, the first ever national election the Conservatives got less than 10% of the vote
    I've never felt so impactful.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,386
    Betfair market has opened for Uxbridge.

But not yet for Mid Beds.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,550
    There are not that many draws in test matches involving England these days so a drawn series is ironically good value at 6/1 with ladbrokes for the Ashes - one draw out of the five leaves a strong possibility of 2-2
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,402
    geoffw said:

A ) Two
    B ) Three
    C ) Four
    D ) More
    D) (Hopefully)
    At most two I think:

"Tuesday 17 December 1985
    All 15 Unionist Members of Parliament (MPs) resigned their seats in protest at the Anglo-Irish Agreement (AIA). Their intention was to highlight opposition to the Agreement in Northern Ireland during the by-elections that would be caused."

https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/events/aia/chron.htm
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,848
    Artist said:

Ladbrokes Uxbridge + South Ruislip

Labour 1/6
    Tories 4/1

So much for getting in an early bet on CON in Mid Beds.

Bigger political question - will the Monster Raving Loony Party be able to campaign in two (at the present count) by-elections?

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Not surprised at all by the ungracious manner of Boris's resignation statement - he doesn't do dignity.

I think it's particularly poor, however, for him to have a personal dig at Harriet Harman, who I'm quite sure carried out her role dispassionately under the gaze of the Tory MPs on the Privileges Committee.

To use Boris's own language, he really is a cad and a bounder.

He also libelled the KC advising the Committee.

Boris is - and always has been - a shit. The Tory party is well rid of him.

If it had any sense - a big "if" I grant you these days - it would see this is the start of the very long road back to becoming a decent conservative party, one with a moral compass, some sense of integrity, duty, public service and care for the institutions and people of this country.

My guess is that it won't - not yet anyway - and so its death spiral will continue until the voters put it out of its misery
  • Options
    Back in August 2022

Meanwhile in Russia: Putin's mouthpieces on state TV are taunting America about "Top Secret" documents sought during the raid of Trump's estate, which they claim had to do with the newest nuclear weapons developed by the US and gleefully imply that Moscow already got to see them.
    https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1558289365004128264

With any luck they were just lying - it has been known to happen on Russian state TV.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,784
    kjh said:

In case anyone is in any doubt the LDs are going for the Mid Beds seat I got my email asking for help at 5.33 pm. Didn't hang around.

Good for them! I hope you sent them a large donation, Mr KJH!

Is there a Lib Dem candidate in place yet?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Not surprised at all by the ungracious manner of Boris's resignation statement - he doesn't do dignity.

I think it's particularly poor, however, for him to have a personal dig at Harriet Harman, who I'm quite sure carried out her role dispassionately under the gaze of the Tory MPs on the Privileges Committee.

To use Boris's own language, he really is a cad and a bounder.

He also libelled the KC advising the Committee.

Boris is - and always has been - a shit. The Tory party is well rid of him.

If it had any sense - a big "if" I grant you these days - it would see this is the start of the very long road back to becoming a decent conservative party, one with a moral compass, some sense of integrity, duty, public service and care for the institutions and people of this country.

My guess is that it won't - not yet anyway - and so its death spiral will continue until the voters put it out of its misery
    One thing about the Borises of the world is that its never enough that people argue against them, or criticise them, it's always a dark conspiracy or baseless smear on top of being wrong. It's just frustrating as it goes just that bit too far in seeing devils everywhere.
This discussion has been closed.