Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Boris Johnson stand in the Mid Beds by election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

Penddu2 said:

2 down.... Putin out of a window next??

Sigh…. And now the idiots who think Boris is similar to Trump and/or has links to Putin come out and make me want to defend him.
    Are there some similarities? Sure. But people overplay it. Boris is establishment through and through. He's no outsider moulding the party to his whims, he's a aprt of the factional ebb and flow. He's sound on Ukraine, covid, he's actually fairly liberal in several areas, etc. He's awful in many other ways, but the Trump line, for me, just downplays where he is awful in a different way, and, pains me to say it, forces ignoring where he is sound.

Boris is also demonstrably a winner compared to Trump.
    In what way is he a winner by comparison?
    Both won one election.
    Boris won big at a GE and has won at lower levels when it was no easy task, and his win left his party in a better place. Such a good place that even now it isn't impossible they cling on (just hard).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,735
    DougSeal said:

What of Moon Rabbit’s predictions now?

FPT

I am going to be unbearably smug for the next few days.

Alastair and myself were right.

***Legendary modesty klaxon***
  • Options

DougSeal said:

What of Moon Rabbit’s predictions now?

FPT

I am going to be unbearably smug for the next few days.

Alastair and myself were right.

***Legendary modesty klaxon***
    I'm going to pretend I said nothing about it whatsoever, and that nonetheless I know perfectly what will happen next.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    viewcode said:

We are shit at prediction. Nobody predicted an immediate resignation. :(

I did, yesterday.

"Chiltern hundreds, a year-odd of lecture tours and schmoozing selection committees in proper safe seats."
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039
    viewcode said:

Almost as bad as Dominic Cummings.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,007
    viewcode said:

Perhaps coordinated with Dorries, so they can ride off into the sunset together.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,875
    Not as a Tory?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

Penddu2 said:

2 down.... Putin out of a window next??

Sigh…. And now the idiots who think Boris is similar to Trump and/or has links to Putin come out and make me want to defend him.
    Are there some similarities? Sure. But people overplay it. Boris is establishment through and through. He's no outsider moulding the party to his whims, he's a aprt of the factional ebb and flow. He's sound on Ukraine, covid, he's actually fairly liberal in several areas, etc. He's awful in many other ways, but the Trump line, for me, just downplays where he is awful in a different way, and, pains me to say it, forces ignoring where he is sound.

Boris is also demonstrably a winner compared to Trump.
    In what way is he a winner by comparison?
    Both won one election.
    London twice though.
  • Options
    Big news - rise in Hedgehog injuries

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,446
    Why do people insist on saying “with immediate effect” instead of just “immediately”.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890

Johnson will be releasing his sob story soon, alongside the usual Boris lovers rallying around him

There are precious few Boris-lovers on here tonight. It'd be interesting to go back to 2019 and see how many posters refusing BJ now were firmly BJ-lovers then ... ;)
    Yes I wish someone would do this analysis.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,711
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Perhaps coordinated with Dorries, so they can ride off into the sunset together.
    That is the odd part. What sort of conspiracy is afoot so that Boris and Dorries resign within hours of each other and Donald Trump's lawyers?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,641
    Wow. Some sort of record in the making. 4 Conservative MPs declare in one day that they are standing down. 3 in marginal seats where Labour is challenging. 2 with immediate effect and the other 2 at the general election.

Colchester, Southampton Itchen, Mid-Beds, Uxbridge.
  • Options

The cancer is expunging itself.

Now, let's get back to a proper Conservative party and prepare to beat Labour next year.

No, you don’t get a pass.
    The corruption, stupidity and moral squalor runs much deeper than Boris.

You need about 25 years in the wilderness.
    You may even get that!
    The idea that Johnson and Truss can be written off like Bobby Ewing in the shower just ain't going to work.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    edited June 2023
    nico679 said:

darkage said:

Donald Trump’s lawyers have resigned shortly after he became the first former President ever to be indicted on federal charges.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1667251157339701248

Listening to that news clip, these charges sound flimsy and unconvincing. It sounds exactly how he describes it, a witch hunt.
    In practical terms this situation will simply assist his re-election bid and it will be likely to do terminal damage to US politics and society.
    Have you read the endictments . The charges are very serious .
    Yes - he allegedly kept classified information, and then obstructed an investigation in to it. It just sounds like the authorities were desperate to arrest him and this was the best they could come up with.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,994
    nico679 said:

The committee should release their report . Why should Johnson get to play the martyr .

Because then he come back innocent. Whiter than white - the Gandalf of Brexit. Our saviour.
  • Options
    My Boris supporting contact reports

"Always got my vote does Boris"
    "People just make stuff up to keep it in the press, to make sure you can't stand in the next election"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929

Now, let's get back to a proper Conservative party and prepare to beat Labour next year.

Nothing has stopped Sunak leading a "proper Conservative Party" since he took over last November. I don't know why the departure of Johnson and Dorries will suddenly change anything.

The whole thing has the stench of death about it - all your brave words doesn't change that. You might not want a Labour Government - I get that - but it might be the best thing for the Conservatives to take some time to re-discover what they're about. It happens when a party has been in power for too long.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    Perhaps Boris sees himself and Trump as kin.

Pursued by the metropolitan-liberal-elite on trumped-up charges, when all they wanted to do was be corrupt and anti-democratic grifters....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,462

Johnson will be releasing his sob story soon, alongside the usual Boris lovers rallying around him

There are precious few Boris-lovers on here tonight. It'd be interesting to go back to 2019 and see how many posters refusing BJ now were firmly BJ-lovers then ... ;)
    I voted remain and was a member at the time of the leadership election between Johnson and Hunt and I abstained as I was not happy about either

However as a conservative I voted for the party and to be fair felt Johnson did OK with covid and Ukraine but his actions from patersongate to partygate turned me against him and I turned to Sunak before Truss won and support him since
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,720
    kle4 said:

Big news - rise in Hedgehog injuries

The mower stalled, twice; kneeling, I found
    A hedgehog jammed up against the blades,
    Killed. It had been in the long grass.

I had seen it before, and even fed it, once.
    Now I had mauled its unobtrusive world
    Unmendably. Burial was no help:

Next morning I got up and it did not.
    The first day after a death, the new absence
    Is always the same; we should be careful

Of each other, we should be kind
    While there is still time.

Larkin (of course)
  • Options

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

That is the odd part. What sort of conspiracy is afoot so that Boris and Dorries resign within hours of each other and Donald Trump's lawyers?
    Kiss’s Gene Simmons call for the restoration of Stormont caused a rupture in the space-time continuum.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

Wow. Some sort of record in the making. 4 Conservative MPs declare in one day that they are standing down. 3 in marginal seats where Labour is challenging. 2 with immediate effect and the other 2 at the general election.

Perhaps worth keeping an eye on the odds for a 2023 general election.
  • Options
    The funny thing about Boris talking about being 'bewildered' he can be forced out is whilst he is particularly incensed by the Chair and the specifics, in essence he is really just complaining about the ability for their to be recalls at all.

Which privately might find sympathy with a lot of MPs, for all very few have been recalled to date.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,191
    Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

I did, yesterday.

"Chiltern hundreds, a year-odd of lecture tours and schmoozing selection committees in proper safe seats."
    You did. 6:21pm Thursday Jun 8. Well done.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4427942/#Comment_4427942
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,549
    Boris is pretty astute about avoiding fights he can’t win. Look at the withdrawal from the leadership election after Cameron resigned. He must have calculated that without the active support of Sunak he had no chance of overturning the committee’s recommendations. He was probably right.

Will he be back? Not while Sunak is there but that is only 15 months or so.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited June 2023

I can help start the process. For years I have been saying that Boris was a waste of space.

I said the same about Truss and Raaaaab. And Brexit.

And just for the record, Sunak is cr*p as well.

TMay was my blind spot. At one point I thought she would do the job well.
  • Options
    What would hurt Mr Sunak more - stopping Johnson standing or having him stand and win?

The whole thing doesn't seem likely to me. Johnson looks like a busted flush but maybe he hasn't worked that out yet?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    The Tories are nuts.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Boris is pretty astute about avoiding fights he can’t win. Look at the withdrawal from the leadership election after Cameron resigned. He must have calculated that without the active support of Sunak he had no chance of overturning the committee’s recommendations. He was probably right.

Will he be back? Not while Sunak is there but that is only 15 months or so.

Dude, just kick back and relax - you've got 3 young kids, speaking engagements and book tours, and a lifetime of sub-Corbyn sof adulation from those who know you would have won if you had a chance.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,953
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

darkage said:

Donald Trump’s lawyers have resigned shortly after he became the first former President ever to be indicted on federal charges.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1667251157339701248

Listening to that news clip, these charges sound flimsy and unconvincing. It sounds exactly how he describes it, a witch hunt.
    In practical terms this situation will simply assist his re-election bid and it will be likely to do terminal damage to US politics and society.
    Have you read the endictments . The charges are very serious .
    Yes - he allegedly kept classified information, and then obstructed an investigation in to it. It just sounds like the authorities were desperate to arrest him and this was the best they could come up with.
    The authorities bent over backwards to give Trump every opportunity to quietly return the documents they knew he had & escape any censure whatsoever. They were incredibly reluctant to charge an ex-president for obvious reasons. Trump then insisted on doubling down, denying the documents existed & obstructing attempts by the authorities to recover them. What did you expect them to do? At some point you have to bring in the big guns, because national security is at stake: Trump was leaving boxes of documents around Mar-a-lago where anyone with access to the building could peruse them at leisure & the place was probably salted with non-US spies from top to bottom already. Once you’ve sent in the FBI, everyone knows a crime has been committed & the system almost has to kick into gear because it cannot do otherwise.

All of this was always in Trumps power to prevent. All he had to do was return the documents. He refused & now he gets to find out what the consequences of that choice are.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,260

Pursued by the metropolitan-liberal-elite on trumped-up charges, when all they wanted to do was be corrupt and anti-democratic populists..

Say what you like about Boris and Trump but they won the most seats for the Conservatives in 2019 and the highest Electoral College vote for the Republicans in 2016 since the 1980s.

Upper middle class and city dwelling voters may despise them but they had a big connection to the white working class and rural areas and small towns
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,720
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Why do people insist on saying “with immediate effect” instead of just “immediately”.

Elect me as PM and I will put a stop to it, with immediate effect.
    One PM you will do it 'at pace'. 'With immediate effect' would actually require a result. Which can only be promised before becoming PM.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,568
    stodge said:

Nothing has stopped Sunak leading a "proper Conservative Party" since he took over last November. I don't know why the departure of Johnson and Dorries will suddenly change anything.

The whole thing has the stench of death about it - all your brave words doesn't change that. You might not want a Labour Government - I get that - but it might be the best thing for the Conservatives to take some time to re-discover what they're about. It happens when a party has been in power for too long.
    This is a common trope. But I don't think it ever does a party good to lose an election.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

People think it makes them sound posh. See also "at this moment in time". Related to "not fit for purpose".
  • Options

I can help start the process. For years I have been saying that Boris was a waste of space.

Me too, pretty much.
    And I called all four of Rishi’s “shitpicks” the day he announced Cabinet and now three are gone and the one left is Suella Braverman…
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pursued by the metropolitan-liberal-elite on trumped-up charges, when all they wanted to do was be corrupt and anti-democratic populists..

Say what you like about Boris and Trump but they won the most seats for the Conservatives in 2019 and the highest Electoral College vote for the Republicans in 2016 since the 1980s.

Upper middle class and city dwelling voters may despise them but they had a big connection to the white working class and rural areas and small towns
    Re your last paragraph he has lost the lot of them
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

I voted remain and was a member at the time of the leadership election between Johnson and Hunt and I abstained as I was not happy about either

However as a conservative I voted for the party and to be fair felt Johnson did OK with covid and Ukraine but his actions from patersongate to partygate turned me against him and I turned to Sunak before Truss won and support him since
    Far easier on the conscience tonight to note that I have never voted Conservative, and I wouldn't vote for a party led by Johnson if it was the only party on the list.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Tories are nuts.

Have you only just noticed?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

stodge said:

This is a common trope. But I don't think it ever does a party good to lose an election.
    I actually agree. There is always a chance to renew, to rediscover, and that is easier when you have the levers of power to work with. That they are too tired or riven to manage that a third time means the next option to renew is out of officee, but it wasn't actually a necessity.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

People think it makes them sound posh. See also "at this moment in time". Related to "not fit for purpose".
    Pre-planned.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,313

If Johnson does stand in Mid Beds it will be vitally important that he loses. Otherwise he would have received explicit backing from the electorate of Mid Beds for setting aside any system of holding politicians to any level of standards. They would have approved of his lying to the House.

Arguably the principle is the other way round. The electorate have the right to vote for whomever they like.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,201
    He couldn’t handle the truth, or face the music.
    So has done a runner.

Pitiful.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

The Tories are nuts.

Have you only just noticed?
    They’ve achieved a new level.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

Pre-planned.
    :)
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,817
    JACK_W said:

This thread has resigned

Now you can tell us who you are :wink:
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

.. Although they actually despised them.

This kind of underlying issue of entitled plutocrats that would make itself more obvious eventually..
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    DougSeal said:

Because he could immediately announce he is resigning with effect from some future date. Whenever I have resigned, I have given notice, so it was not with immediate effect.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

I actually agree. There is always a chance to renew, to rediscover, and that is easier when you have the levers of power to work with. That they are too tired or riven to manage that a third time means the next option to renew is out of officee, but it wasn't actually a necessity.
    I disagree. If your thesis had any basis in fact then Parties would get better the longer they governed and, historically, they actually get worse every year they are in power.

As the old saying has it "Nappies and politicians both need regular changing and for much the same reason..."
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,272
    Nigelb said:

So has done a runner.

Pitiful.

Yes, Johnson is a coward, running away from the electorate.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,641
    DougSeal said:

Guilty as charged, yer 'onour.

Exhibit A below.

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,251
    Total meltdown.

Possibly Rishi calls a snap election early Sept for voting early Oct? Jul/Aug election will not be popular.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,817
    DougSeal said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleft_sentence
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,690
    As that school report put it,

"Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility."

The child is the father to the man...
  • Options

Far easier on the conscience tonight to note that I have never voted Conservative, and I wouldn't vote for a party led by Johnson if it was the only party on the list.
    I have voted Conservative in the past, but the last time I did so was 2010. After that, when they started becoming populists and nationalists, I stopped voting for them.

There is no Conservative Party at present - just a bunch of centre-right nutters and opportunists.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

The first point is, sans Johnson, Uxbridge & South Ruislip is going to be a tougher seat to hold - not impossible but given current polling, difficult. The Old Bexley & Sidcup by-election in late 2021 saw a 10% swing to Labour - that would be enough to turn Uxbridge & South Ruislip red.

Let's assume with fanfares, Johnson arrives in Flitwick (not quite Caesar entering Rome).

There are two questions - what happens if he wins and what happens if he loses?

Those claiming to be masters of 4-D chess might want to consider each scenario.

This does rather solve the tactical voting problem that I referred to earlier. Labour will concentrate on Uxbridge, LibDems on Mid-Beds - just like before when we had two by-elections.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,109
    Rishi Soprano cleaning house.
  • Options

I have informed OGH that I am resigning as Deputy Editor unless he gives me a solemn undertaking to never take another holiday.

Nah, tell him to take a few more: a) he deserves them, no doubt, and b) it's more fun.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

I disagree. If your thesis had any basis in fact then Parties would get better the longer they governed and, historically, they actually get worse every year they are in power.

As the old saying has it "Nappies and politicians both need regular changing and for much the same reason..."
    You've misunderstood my premise - it's that it is not a requirement to lose to change. It is one approach, and the most common one at that. But if they were better at managing themselves they would not need to do it.

It's time for change because they clearly have become unable to use the rungs of power to refresh themselves. But it would have been better for the party had they been more successful at doing so.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,193

As that school report put it,

"Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility."

The child is the father to the man...

Too many definite articles

• Options
    Boris Johnson resigns as an MP and thousands of work events reported all over the UK.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

This thread has resigned

Not another one!
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,994

I have voted Conservative in the past, but the last time I did so was 2010. After that, when they started becoming populists and nationalists, I stopped voting for them.

There is no Conservative Party at present - just a bunch of centre-right nutters and opportunists.
    I once gave my 3rd preference vote to a Tory candidate because he had a tragically amusing surname and I thought he must have been bullied at school. And had zero chance of winning.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,446

DougSeal said:

Guilty as charged, yer 'onour.

Exhibit A below.

I’ll let you off with a warning 😉
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,630

If Johnson does stand in Mid Beds it will be vitally important that he loses. Otherwise he would have received explicit backing from the electorate of Mid Beds for setting aside any system of holding politicians to any level of standards. They would have approved of his lying to the House.

Arguably the principle is the other way round. The electorate have the right to vote for whomever they like.
    Of course they do, but who they vote for matters, and if they vote for an MP who lied to the Commons that will have disastrous consequences.

Imagine if Neil Hamilton and won election in 1997? The effect on politics would have been incredibly corrosive.

All people with an interest in the health of our democracy must hope that if Johnson stands for election he is defeated.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    Shagger has resigned in disgrace. A few hours ago his resignation honours was published. Which was in itself a disgrace.

Can we now rescind the list?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,690
    edited June 2023

Lest we forget, here are three of them;

• Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    edited June 2023

No, you don’t get a pass.
    The corruption, stupidity and moral squalor runs much deeper than Boris.

You need about 25 years in the wilderness.
    You may even get that!
    If Labour had done half of what Johnson and co have Casino would be calling for them all to be put in jail and the party disbanded
  • Options
    I'll go for Priti Patel and Conor Burns.

BREAKING I am hearing rumours of a THIRD Tory MP loyal to Boris Johnson who might resign tonight.

BREAKING Now a fourth Tory MP allied to Boris Johnson is said by Conservative MPs to be considering quitting Parliament tonight.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1667259420030521354
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,853
    Johnson clearly thinks he will come back.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,853

Not me. Never liked the man.
  • Options

BREAKING I am hearing rumours of a THIRD Tory MP loyal to Boris Johnson who might resign tonight.

BREAKING Now a fourth Tory MP allied to Boris Johnson is said by Conservative MPs to be considering quitting Parliament tonight.

I would like the whole d*mn party to resign...
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 92

This may be damning with the faintest of praise but, compared to what followed, she did.
  • Options

2023 GE anyone?
  • Options
    This special counsel Jack Smith seems like an authoritative, intelligent chap. He should run for President.

Wait...

He did say in his brief statement he looks forward to a speedy trial - I presume that's unlikely as lawyers are very very creative at delaying things, and it's part of indicating he's ready to go and make a case, why are they not confident of defeating it.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Good riddance to them all
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Me too. I could vote for a socially Liberal pro-european Conservative party. That seems to be extinct now.
    Likewise.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,630

It doesn't help Johnson to have all his supporters resign as MPs - what's going on?

A new Boris Johnson Party?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,290

2023 GE anyone?
    @LadPolitics
    Anyone for a 2023 General Election?

Now 10/1 (from 14/1)
  • Options

Interesting moves if coordinated like that - the multiple losses that would probably follow would presumably really damage Rishi's power in the party, but without the most key opponents, and so just have the effect of hobbling him yet further whilst guaranteeing a late GE.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Nigelb said:

So has done a runner.

Pitiful.

For all the bombast he emits Boris always has been fundamentally a dishonest, unprincipled, lazy berk. Good riddance.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,052
    edited June 2023
    Would be very interesting indeed if this was a nascent "Brexit Purity Party" coalescing.
    Was it OGH who said "Get Brexit Done!" was such a good slogan it was bound to be used again...?

Edit. I see @LostPassword has had the same thought.
    Fascinating that tax cuts and growth were in his statement.
    An attempt to woo in the Trussites?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I voted Tory at the 2019 European elections, which makes me more of a Tory than most Tory party members and many of their MPs I'd bet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I voted Tory at the 2019 European elections, which makes me more of a Tory than most Tory party members and many of their MPs I'd bet.

Same, I voted Tory in the European elections.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Would be very interesting indeed if this was a nascent "Brexit Purity Party" coalescing.
    Was it OGH who said "Get Brexit Done!" was such a good slogan it was bound to be used again...?

That would be the best thing that could happen.

They would split the remaining Tory vote and guarantee Labour a bigger majority.

if any of them got elected they would be the opposition, so Starmer could rightly oppose everything they said.

Awesome !!!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Tres said:

Nigelb said:

So has done a runner.

Pitiful.

Yes, Johnson is a coward, running away from the electorate.
    It is a fatal flaw in his blasting rhetoric - he can whine about being forced out, and a casual observer and a fan will eat that up, but he had a recourse, to trust in his electorate, and he's chosen not to use it.

We can presume why.

The funny thing is some comments saying he is not going down without a fight, when in fact that's precisely what he has done - he's going out with a whimper, not a bang.
  • Options
    @AngelaRayner

As Boris Johnson exits in disgrace, the British public are sick to the back teeth of this never ending Tory soap opera played out at their expense.

After thirteen years of Conservative chaos, enough is enough. It’s time for a fresh start for Britain with a Labour Government.
  • Options
    Henry Hill of ConHome saying Johnson is done and in the longer term good for Sunak
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,400
    Hope the people of Mid Beds will give him a political enema.
  • Options

Henry Hill of ConHome saying Johnson is done and in the longer term good for Sunak

Sunak won't get a long term in which to benefit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Say what you like about Boris and Trump but I say they are both utter arses who should never be let near the reins of power again.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,856
    kle4 said:

This special counsel Jack Smith seems like an authoritative, intelligent chap. He should run for President.

Wait...

He did say in his brief statement he looks forward to a speedy trial - I presume that's unlikely as lawyers are very very creative at delaying things, and it's part of indicating he's ready to go and make a case, why are they not confident of defeating it.

Given the way the US system “works”, I can’t see anything happening before the election, other than an arrest followed by a release on bail with a trial date to be set before the end of the decade.
  • Options
    This is like the finale of a show that debuted in 2016

https://twitter.com/harriet1marsden/status/1667258619740540939/photo/1
This discussion has been closed.