Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Invoking God – the craziest political ad you are ever likely to see – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2022 in General
Invoking God – the craziest political ad you are ever likely to see – politicalbetting.com

I love you, Ron.On behalf of millions of people, never stop fighting for freedom. pic.twitter.com/5wcopo041U

Read the full story here

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,747
    edited November 2022
    Bizarre.

So glad we don't get that kind of cr@p in this country.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,724
    DavidL said:

Bizarre

Your reminder that Leon thinks this guy isn't a wannabe Fascist.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    NEW: @BloombergUK Saturday read

Tory MPs — including some in the Cabinet — are worried the Sunak/Hunt tax rises and spending cuts will go too far, killing off growth and their electoral prospects

One Cabinet minister says Sunak risks managing UK decline

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-04/tories-fear-sunak-is-just-managing-britain-s-decline-and-they-want-a-vision-for-growth
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Bizarre

It's a wonder anyone as delusional as that can have a coherent philosophy at all.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Bizarre

This advert is cheesy, silly, cringeworthy and peculiarly American, but I can’t discern a hint of Fascism. Where is it? The mere fact he invokes God?

I can also see this ad working with less educated, religious Americans. Hispanic Catholic blue collar etc.
    @ydoethur's prediction that Hales would not get going is doing the job for England so far.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    holy shit
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    SID & DORIS

.....meanwhile away from the celestial world but just as bonkers James O'Brien talks Brexit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXv5Ta7qccU
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited November 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Tory MPs — including some in the Cabinet — are worried the Sunak/Hunt tax rises and spending cuts will go too far, killing off growth and their electoral prospects

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-04/tories-fear-sunak-is-just-managing-britain-s-decline-and-they-want-a-vision-for-growth

Good old leaky Sue.
    DavidL said:

@ydoethur's prediction that Hales would not get going is doing the job for England so far.

If he had been given out there, I would have blamed you.

For a ghastly moment I thought he would be.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    A group of people at a west London immigration removal centre caused "disturbance" on Saturday morning, the Home Office has claimed.

No one was injured during the incident at Harmondsworth detention centre near Heathrow Airport, but the power was still out just before 9am on Saturday, the department said.

The Home Office initially claimed that a "group of detainees left their rooms" and went into a courtyard area "armed with various weaponry", but later withdrew that claim.

Sky News- breaking

So it begins
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Nah, it was clear he hit the ground with his bat. And the damage is already done because the power play is when Sri Lanka were flying and England are ahead.
    Observation. Iceland is full of young Chinese tourists. I’ve seen them across the country. They are obviously wealthy, with expensive winter clothes

I’ve been told they are generally “affluent Chinese students studying in the UK”

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it. Maybe Xi has ordered all the plain ones to stay home, to promote China’s image abroad
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Nah, it was clear he hit the ground with his bat. And the damage is already done because the power play is when Sri Lanka were flying and England are ahead.
    Boy, you really are determined to screw this up for us, aren't you?!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    DavidL said:

Bizarre.

So glad we don't get that kind of cr@p in this country.

Definitely seen weirder ads, particularly in smaller races, but is it more worrying that someone is so conceited they think and are willing to say God is essentially annointing them, or that it presumably works on some people?

We don't do more than humour monarchs who try that sort of lin enow.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Good old leaky Sue.
    I would argue that apart from brief moments of optimism under T Blair and Thatcher, successive UK PMs (incl those 2) have managed decline....... its a reality that British voters need to wake up to.
  • Excellent start. All about staying focused, keeping cool and closing it out! 👍
  • Curious stat on the subject;

For Republicans, it's becoming more apparent that they value the *idea* of religion without actually participating.

In 2008, 17% of Republicans who never/seldom attended said religion was very important.

In 2021, that had risen to 27%.

To be Republican is to be religious.

https://twitter.com/ryanburge/status/1588570590809829376

Probably easier to do Republican stuff if you're not being exposed to all that "who is my neighbour?" talk on a regular basis.

Excellent start. All about staying focused, keeping cool and closing it out! 👍

Why can you guys not keep your mouths shut?!!!
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Roger said:

SID & DORIS

.....meanwhile away from the celestial world but just as bonkers James O'Brien talks Brexit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXv5Ta7qccU

"bonkers James O'Brien" is unusually accurate...
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Boy, you really are determined to screw this up for us, aren't you?!
    Ha, superb catch in fairness.
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    In reply to OGH's lead article today.

Dear God!
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Leon said:

Observation. Iceland is full of young Chinese tourists. I’ve seen them across the country. They are obviously wealthy, with expensive winter clothes

I’ve been told they are generally “affluent Chinese students studying in the UK”

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it. Maybe Xi has ordered all the plain ones to stay home, to promote China’s image abroad

FYI. Knappers Hill runs today in the 3.00 Wincanton.
    stjohn said:

Dear God!

I am not sure that God is worthy of such a titan.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Scott_xP said:

Six years and they've only just noticed?
    Now Stokes in at 3, rather than the more aggressive Moeen.

This could go wrong.
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Bizarre

It's a wonder anyone as delusional as that can have a coherent philosophy at all.
    DeSantis isn't much better, either
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2022
    Floridians voted in a binding referendum to overturn the ban of former convicts from voting.

De Santis has done everything in his power to overturn this result. Making it close to impossible for former convicts to know if they have paid off any outstanding fines (the GOP decided that if you had any fines outstanding you were still not eligible to vote) as there is no centralised source of what fines a person owes (smells like an illegal poll tax to me).

He's then launched a high profile campaign of arresting people for voter fraud for voting having failed to pay off fines. In every case the people arrested had been sent voter registration papers by the state and in many cases they can confirmed with the state that they were eligible to vote. Only to be arrested later under the byzantium system of secret fines.

And DeSantis boasts about this.

The policy is discouraging eligible voters from voting in Florida as they are scared about being arrested for Election fraud. The voter suppression effect is enormous - he's probably disenfranchised more Black voters than any living politician in America.

He passes laws to punish corporations who don't align with his political views.

De Santis is a fascist.
    Scott_xP said:

I'm sure they have a better plan.
    I’m still waiting to hear why this naff and embarrassing advert is also “Fascist”

I have to go in a minute. But would @DavidL and @londonpubman kindly refrain from further predictions now they've cost us two set batsmen?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Scott_xP said:

Some of said exactly that, on the day the PM was elected appointed!
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Ishmael_Z said:

A group of people at a west London immigration removal centre caused "disturbance" on Saturday morning, the Home Office has claimed.

No one was injured during the incident at Harmondsworth detention centre near Heathrow Airport, but the power was still out just before 9am on Saturday, the department said.

The Home Office initially claimed that a "group of detainees left their rooms" and went into a courtyard area "armed with various weaponry", but later withdrew that claim.

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

"Camp of the Saints" back to the bestseller list?
  • ydoethur said:

I have to go in a minute. But would @DavidL and @londonpubman kindly refrain from further predictions now they've cost us two set batsmen?

Sri Lanka on top now? 😈
    Leon said:

I’m still waiting to hear why this naff and embarrassing advert is also “Fascist”

Alistair lists reasons why de Santis is, but not the ad itself. The ad is ridiculous and worrying, but I'd be hard pressed to pinpoint specific ideology.
    Leon said:

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it.

When I was but a callow youth, I asked my boss at the time why (in my experience) the girls that attended the expensive private school we did some work at were universally more attractive than the girls at the local comp.

His reply was "money"

So you have in fact answered your own question

Generally affluent women are more attractive than less affluent ones.
    Leon said:

Religion is bad and unprogressive
    Fascism is bad and unprogressive
    Therefore religion is fascism

Just as

Socrates is mortal
    Oak trees are mortal
    Therefore Socrates is an oak tree.
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it.

When I was but a callow youth, I asked my boss at the time why (in my experience) the girls that attended the expensive private school we did some work at were universally more attractive than the girls at the local comp.

His reply was "money"

Genetically, or clothes and make up?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Leon said:

Members of the 0.1% probably.
  • Martin10Martin10 Posts: 142
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

His reply was "money"

Its because rich men attract more attractive women...darwinism in action
    kyf_100 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

Think the media might be stirring things up to be honest
  • TresTres Posts: 2,159
    edited November 2022
    Hopefully in a week it can be consigned to history alongside Fizzy Lizzy's Instagram page.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    Martin10 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

His reply was "money"

Welcome Martin. Looking forward to more posts.
    ydoethur said:

You could all focus on watching the men tapping a ball away with a stick and then running up and down while someone else goes to fetch it, and leave the rest of us untroubled by all the gripping details...
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    OT, the weather today is biblically awful. November is God’s punishment for something.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Leon said:

Religion is bad and unprogressive
    Fascism is bad and unprogressive
    Therefore religion is fascism

Just as

Socrates is mortal
    Oak trees are mortal
    Therefore Socrates is an oak tree.
    Is he. I didn't know that.

I like that one. Will have to remember it for future discussions with hyufd.
    Interesting views on twitter from joe biden

U.S. President Joe Biden has said that the social media platform, Twitter, purchased by Elon Musk, spews lies across the world.

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1588722230653247488?s=20&t=iuZWMDB_LGmnT0fNkRQWoA
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    TimS said:

OT, the weather today is biblically awful. November is God’s punishment for something.

Whereabouts? It's okay in Brentwood which is where I am atm.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    On topic. To be honest, I actually thought it was very good for about 30secs - then, just like all pastiche made by the enemy to take the piss out of someone, it incrementally got sillier and sillier in a bid to destroy Big Ron’s chances.

His campaign should rightly sue whoever put that out there.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Members of the 0.1% probably.
    0.1% of 1.4bn people, is an awful lot of them!

On topic. To be honest, I actually thought it was very good for about 30secs - then, just like all pastiche made by the enemy to take the piss out of someone, it incrementally got sillier and sillier in a bid to destroy Big Ron’s chances.

His campaign should rightly sue whoever put that out there.

YANTIA
    Clearly the media seems to have an agenda now to stir up this asylum issue. Fact is ilkegal immigration is dwarfed by about 300000 per year legal immigration anyway
    Welp, Late surge of Dem Nevada ballots has raised their status from "Compeltely doomed" to "probably doomed". The 'firewall' is still way to low to give Dems the win but it is very interesting that they managed to increase it by a significant percentage yesterday. They need to add another 20k votes to be at a level to have any confidence.

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1588748515085164544
    Martin10 said:

kyf_100 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

Tis a Home Office press release. So stirring yes, press no.

Here's some stirring

https://mattgoodwin.substack.com/p/britain-has-lost-control-of-its-borders
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,529

Curious stat on the subject;

For Republicans, it's becoming more apparent that they value the *idea* of religion without actually participating.

In 2008, 17% of Republicans who never/seldom attended said religion was very important.

In 2021, that had risen to 27%.

To be Republican is to be religious.

https://twitter.com/ryanburge/status/1588570590809829376

Probably easier to do Republican stuff if you're not being exposed to all that "who is my neighbour?" talk on a regular basis.

Their alleged religion is a big scam . The evangelicals have become a campaigning group just peddling hate and bigotry with zero humanity . They’re also hypocrites . Just see what’s happening in Georgia with Herschel Walker .

• stjohn said:

Dear God!

God should sue.
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Some of said exactly that, on the day the PM was elected appointed!
    It sounds like something Leaky Sue would say, if she wasn’t so shy in coming forward.
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

November is a month with no redeeming qualities..dark nights that get darker and miserable weather...the worst month of the year
    Martin10 said:

Interesting views on twitter from joe biden

U.S. President Joe Biden has said that the social media platform, Twitter, purchased by Elon Musk, spews lies across the world.

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1588722230653247488?s=20&t=iuZWMDB_LGmnT0fNkRQWoA

Indeed so. The While House had to delete a Tweet last week claiming that petrol prices had come down during Biden’s tenure, after Twitter fact-checked it as false.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    I was listening last night to some crazy ranting on Radio 4 from some lunatic Republicans.

Saying that 'America was built on the Bible and is a Christian country and must go back to being that again'. Strange. For a people that so loved the 2nd Amendment, they forget the first lines of their own Constitution that explicitly say that America ISN'T a Christian country.

Some other lunatic was saying that the Democrats are the devil and should be killed, but when asked said that he wasn't advocating hate speech.

I wonder if these lunatics ever truly won, who they'd then blame when their country collapsed back into the dark ages.......
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

You could all focus on watching the men tapping a ball away with a stick and then running up and down while someone else goes to fetch it, and leave the rest of us untroubled by all the gripping details...
    Ian you are obviously in a feisty mood this morning and up for a fight. I love seeing the pictures of your dog on PB, being the owner of a mad mutt myself, but I think you have just opened up yourself from the cricket lovers with the argument of hypocrisy. Good luck.
    Martin10 said:

Clearly the media seems to have an agenda now to stir up this asylum issue. Fact is ilkegal immigration is dwarfed by about 300000 per year legal immigration anyway

Again, HO press release, not something an intrepid reporter ferreted out for himself.
    `'This is the most inaccurate political ad ever made......EVERY offer proved false'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNvA5PtUzk

Ishmael_Z said:

Martin10 said:

kyf_100 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

Here's some stirring

Its the tory strategy now...lets be beastly to migrants to shore up the core vote as they have failed everywhere else
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

His reply was "money"

Yes of course. It’s why Trump has beautiful daughters: as a rich man he could acquire beautiful partners

However, I am specifically wondering why the rich CHINESE are so spectacularly beautiful. The assortative mating in the Chinese elite must be quite something
    kjh said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Ian you are obviously in a feisty mood this morning and up for a fight. I love seeing the pictures of your dog on PB, being the owner of a mad mutt myself, but I think you have just opened up yourself from the cricket lovers with the argument of hypocrisy. Good luck.
    Dog is overstating it, I think someone missold him a deformed sheep.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Alistair said:

Floridians voted in a binding referendum...

De Santis has done everything in his power to overturn this result...

And DeSantis boasts about this.

De Santis is a fascist.

Hmm.
    Mark Carney this week said Brexit was a contributory factor to the UK’s current economic woes.
    He’s not alone. Polling (via John Curtice) shows % who think Brexit has had a negative impact on economy has risen markedly.
    It has jumped from an already bad -29 in Feb to -46 in Oct. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1588845845793079301/photo/1
    edited November 2022
    Alistair said:

Welp, Late surge of Dem Nevada ballots has raised their status from "Compeltely doomed" to "probably doomed". The 'firewall' is still way to low to give Dems the win but it is very interesting that they managed to increase it by a significant percentage yesterday. They need to add another 20k votes to be at a level to have any confidence.

The big uncertainty is how many younger people turn out to vote on Election Day .

An interesting finding from a CBS generic ballot poll last week showed a huge difference in house seats if younger people actually turn out. The house was then 218 to 217 to the Dems.

I’m very doubtful about younger turnout but would love to be proved wrong .
    edited November 2022
    Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

November is a month with no redeeming qualities..dark nights that get darker and miserable weather...the worst month of the year
    No sun — no moon!
    No morn — no noon —
    No dawn — no dusk — no proper time of day.

No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
    No comfortable feel in any member —
    No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
    No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! —
    November!

Thomas Hood

ETA but I will take it over Jan/Feb/Mar/most of Apr
  • England shitting the bed here.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,760
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

These are people who have been ordered by a court to be detained, or who are in the asylum process but deemed to be a flight risk.

Do you believe that we should let them go on the grounds that they are prepared to used violence (and weapons) to achieve their objective? Do you believe that makes them more or less attractive to the UK as an immigrant?

Ishmael_Z said:

kjh said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Dog is overstating it, I think someone missold him a deformed sheep.
    I think it is rather charming.
    Yesterday’s @thetimes /@YouGov polling found that many Leavers think Sunak is a Remainer, but most Remainers know he’s a Brexiteer.
    That’s a dangerous place to be ahead of any general election, when more people (green line) think in hindsight quitting the EU was a mistake. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1588846276560715777/photo/1
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Brockley, not that far away. The rainfall radar sums it up: a mess of light rain across the whole of England and Wales. Cold blobby drops from trees, oozy semi composted leaf piles with hidden dogshit surprises, so little light you can see the glow of people’s mobiles as they trudge along the street.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

"armed with various weaponry", but later withdrew that claim.

What was mistaken for various weaponry? Umbrella’s could be, to be fair to the Home Office u turn on weaponry.

How did the detainees deliberately cause the power out - or was it a power out that made them congregate outside where there was some light?
    Martin10 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Martin10 said:

kyf_100 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

Here's some stirring

Its the tory strategy now...lets be beastly to migrants to shore up the core vote as they have failed everywhere else
    Read stuff instead of just bloviating about it. 60% and 75% anti immigrant answers. Tory VI is lucky to hit 30% at the moment. Do the math.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

No sun — no moon!
    No morn — no noon —
    No dawn — no dusk — no proper time of day.

No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
    No comfortable feel in any member —
    No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
    No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! —
    November!

Thomas Hood

ETA but I will take it over Jan/Feb/Mar/most of Apr
    LONDON. Michaelmas Term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln’s Inn Hall. Implacable November weather. As much mud in the streets as if the waters had but newly retired from the face of the earth, and it would not be wonderful to meet a Megalosaurus, forty feet long or so, waddling like an elephantine lizard up Holborn Hill. Smoke lowering down from chimney-pots, making a soft black drizzle, with flakes of soot in it as big as full-grown snow-flakes, gone into mourning, one might imagine, for the death of the sun. Dogs, undistinguishable in mire. Horses, scarcely better; splashed to their very blinkers. Foot passengers, jostling one another’s umbrellas in a general infection of ill-temper, and losing their foot-hold at street-corners, where tens of thousands of other foot passengers have been slipping and sliding since the day broke (if the day ever broke), adding new deposits to the crust upon crust of mud, sticking at those points tenaciously to the pavement, and accumulating at compound interest.

• Lot to do from here! I think we're behind now 😡
    Let’s ignore the religious overtones here - that’s just US specific. Not crazy, just different.

More interesting is the defensive doom-landed tone. You need a fighter/protector because you are under threat and only I can save you. Proto-fascist rather fascist in my view, but the strong man motif (and the positioning as the Chosen One) certainly has the potential to develop that way
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836
    Martin10 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

His reply was "money"

Also being rich means you can access deluxe grooming products.

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

These are people who have been ordered by a court to be detained, or who are in the asylum process but deemed to be a flight risk.

Do you believe that we should let them go on the grounds that they are prepared to used violence (and weapons) to achieve their objective? Do you believe that makes them more or less attractive to the UK as an immigrant?
    Why in the name of God would you deduce from my posting the story that I think any of that?
    edited November 2022
    nico679 said:

Alistair said:

The big uncertainty is how many younger people turn out to vote on Election Day .

An interesting finding from a CBS generic ballot poll last week showed a huge difference in house seats if younger people actually turn out. The house was then 218 to 217 to the Dems.

I’m very doubtful about younger turnout but would love to be proved wrong .
    Relying on the youth vote to turnout is an absolute fool's errand. If I had to gamble (which I don't) I'd assume no youth surge and GOP comfortable winners of the House.

What has been interesting in Pennsylvania polls I've seen is that Fetterman is doing better with over 65s than Oz. It is the 45-65 age bracket that is going strong fro Oz.

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Good old leaky Sue.
    I would argue that apart from brief moments of optimism under T Blair and Thatcher, successive UK PMs (incl those 2) have managed decline....... its a reality that British voters need to wake up to.
    We started at an incredible high point in 1913. Of course we are in relative decline
    kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

His reply was "money"

It's a terrible thing to say but I always thought Iconic Beauty Princess Di was pretty average looking before the world class make up and couture and haircuts.
    Braverman is a perfect example of how to lose 2 voter groups at once.
    Red Wall sees her admission that illegal immigration is ‘out of control’.
    Blue Wall sees lack of compassion. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1588847767660945410/photo/1
    Scott_xP said:

Yesterday’s @thetimes /@YouGov polling found that many Leavers think Sunak is a Remainer, but most Remainers know he’s a Brexiteer.
    That’s a dangerous place to be ahead of any general election, when more people (green line) think in hindsight quitting the EU was a mistake. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1588846276560715777/photo/1

How can they think Sunak is a Remainer ? Further highlights that the Leave vote was made up by a lot of low information voters.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,140

Let’s ignore the religious overtones here - that’s just US specific. Not crazy, just different.

More interesting is the defensive doom-landed tone. You need a fighter/protector because you are under threat and only I can save you. Proto-fascist rather fascist in my view, but the strong man motif (and the positioning as the Chosen One) certainly has the potential to develop that way

Which is not dissimilar to Braverman’s language of “invasion”.

"Fascist" has become an aspirational state in the GOP.
    ‘Brexit was always going to be a slow puncture to the economy, rather than a blowout. But as any car driver knows, there suddenly comes a point when a tyre gets so flat the juddering noise is impossible to ignore – and the risk of damage to the rest of the car becomes acute.’

Anyway, read the full piece here:
    https://inews.co.uk/opinion/brexiteer-sunak-should-watch-out-2024-could-be-the-remainers-revenge-election-1954359
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

To be fair that’s pretty much what you do with your dog 😂
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Leon said:

We were worried that you had visited Iceland for the natural splendour of glaciers and volcanoes.

It is comforting to know that you are actually there for the Hot Teen Girls.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,543
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Bizarre

This advert is cheesy, silly, cringeworthy and peculiarly American, but I can’t discern a hint of Fascism. Where is it? The mere fact he invokes God?

I can also see this ad working with less educated, religious Americans. Hispanic Catholic blue collar etc.
    'Invokes God' ... as opposed to claiming to be uniquely created by god to go into politics on his behalf ?
    Not wildly different from Medvedev's remarks the other day.
    Ishmael_Z said:

kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

His reply was "money"

It's a terrible thing to say but I always thought Iconic Beauty Princess Di was pretty average looking before the world class make up and couture and haircuts.
    Indeed. Makeovers are well named. They really can. Time and money are equally required - but of course money creates time.

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Very droll

👏

• bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,140

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

I think we should look at the failings of the Home Office to process people quickly and to deport those who should be deported quickly and to run these detention centres in a sensible way. The people at the top, Braverman, Patel, should take responsibility for their failings.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,543
    Leon said:

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it...

You've got older, so pretty young girls look prettier to you.
    I wonder if there is a difference in fash danger level between countries where support for strongman authoritarianism is mainly among the old, and those where it’s the young.

The former generally seems to reflect nostalgic rural oldies who are reasonably financially comfortable but uneasy with the direction of society. Apparent in Russia with support for Putin, MAGA in the US, the Ayatollahs in Iran.

The latter seems the case in France with RN,
    India with Modi and in some of the Scandinavian and E European countries.

Gerontocratic authoritarianism self-cancelling, young authoritarianism naturally growing?
    Scott_xP said:

Braverman is a perfect example of how to lose 2 voter groups at once.
    Red Wall sees her admission that illegal immigration is ‘out of control’.
    Blue Wall sees lack of compassion. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1588847767660945410/photo/1

She's even managed to lose the Jewish vote gifted to the Tories by Corbyn. Offending Holocaust survivors was never going to go down well....

https://www.channel4.com/news/holocaust-survivors-pen-letter-to-suella-braverman-over-migrant-remarks

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Not today, sadly (although constant rain would have kept the ball away anyhow); he's unhappy in kennels while I am I unhappy in Southampton being minutes away from having a camera pushed down my throat...
This discussion has been closed.