Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Invoking God – the craziest political ad you are ever likely to see – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    Martin10Martin10 Posts: 142

Nigelb said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I contribute in @ScienceMagazine to the discussion of whether to leave Twitter: https://science.org/content/article/musk-reshapes-twitter-academics-ponder-taking-flight

Overall, I think the global Twitter community is a major knowledge hub, which showed its worth during the pandemic, and it is difficult to replace with current alternatives.

https://mobile.twitter.com/M_B_Petersen/status/1588793614528040960

This is true, I think.
    If you're following a lot if different science stuff, it's become an outstanding resource.
    That is now at risk from people abandoning the platform.

If there's not a replacement for the good things about Twitter, then it will presumably survive, but battered and disrupted for a time.

Musk never seems to worry about disruption, so I assume feels able to make gambles.
    Twitter is a bog wall.

Twitter is reminiscent of the H Block cell walls when Irish republican prisoners weren't allowed to wear their own clothes, and weren't allowed to leave their cells to go to the toilet if they weren't wearing any clothes at all.

Twitter is one of the clearest indications to any sentient person of just what an excremental epoch we live in.

Twitter is like having graffiti on your clothes and blowing your nose on your sleeve.

Twitter should be burnt and salt poured on its grave.

Is the Musk takeover part of the triumphant return of Trump to the WH?
    If Musk inadvertently destroys Twitter he'll be doing all of us a favour.
    Balls.
    It’s extremely useful to a lot of people, even if you’re not one of them.
    It's ripping society apart and dividing and polarising us. Brings out the worst in people. Nasty platform.

Needs a fundamental redesign, or a format of its hard drive.
    Society is already divided and polarised look at the usa
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    On topic, is DeSantis going to claim God has endorsed him over Trump ?

Trump and DeSantis barrel toward 2024 — but keep their distance in Florida
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/05/trump-desantis-barrel-toward-2024-00065247
    … “He can do what he wants, but Trump’s team made DeSantis,” Sabatini said of the governor. “He would have lost [in 2018] by 10, 20, maybe 30 points without Trump’s endorsement.”

“He definitely owes him. Big time,” he added…
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    edited November 2022
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Why Twitter is worth $44bn

“Maybe Hitler got fucked up because his infancy was spent seeing various people in futuristic gear point a gun at him before going “no I can’t do it” and jumping into a portal”

https://twitter.com/jordbrookes/status/1588193975055310851?s=46&t=fHL7HgqXG7leatvhrzUvAA

I have to say I am wary of accusing the richest man in the world that he doesn't know what he is doing re making money, but he doesn't appear to re twitter.

I was also shocked to find out that twitter only had about 7000 employees (now about 3000).
    Assuming $200k average pay - I suspect it’s higher - the layoffs will save about $800m per year. That’s a big dent in the company’s losses (around $1.3bn).

The unknown is whether the layoffs damage the revenue generating capability of the company
    Well we already know from Musk that ad revenues have taken a sharp hit.

His approach to engineering - develop quick, test and fail, and fail better - isn't going to work with an established social media business.
    If he's going to try to reinvent it from the ground up, he'd have been far better advised spending half of that $44 bn in setting up a completely new business.

I think he's made the mistake of thinking that that the 100m plus who follow him on Twitter also agree with him - as opposed to being interested in following what he does.
    What I realised the other day is that you don't have to like Musk to acknowledge that SpaceX is better at throwing stuff into space on the top of rockets, or that Tesla manufacture some of the better electric vehicles.

Websites like twitter succeed because people choose to use them, and then network effects follow and make it better. If enough people start using a different website or platform, then other people will follow. Then twitter is as dead as something that rhymes with DieFace.

Twitter is primarily a public relations business and not a technology business. Musk has been terrible at PR - say with the Thai cave rescue petulance - but I'd still buy Starlink from him because the PR doesn't affect its utility.

Just waiting to see which platform the people I follow on twitter will jump to. Some of them are on Instagram already (which is annoying), but I don't see the OSINT crowd moving there.
    Insta is truly terrible. You can’t put links in the posts. There isn’t an iPad app. It’s absurdly bad. I presume this is because Zuckerberg deliberately crippled it as a potential rival to FB (then along came tik tok and the rest, anyway - so it was self defeating)
    Yes. If I had to choose one social network to survive out of facebook, twitter and instagram, it wouldn't be instagram.
    The lack of an insta iPad app is mystifying in particular. They claim it’s because “there isn’t enough demand” and “it’s a nice idea but we haven’t got the time and people to do it” which is clearly bullshit

So why? Zuckerberg seems to have an aversion to Apple. Perhaps he once had plans to make his own phones and tablets so this is a lingering legacy of that?
    Because it will make it seriously uncool. I associate ipads with people in their 60s.

I have a theory that social media cannot support multiple generations: when my parents got fb and messenger, we all shifted to insta. I think some of the insta generation started having kids, and therefore tiktok was born.

(Spectator article in 3...2...1...)
    I made the point about social media generations about ten minutes before you

Insta is already uncool compared to TikTok and others. So that explanation doesn’t work. iPads and tablets are not seen as dated or associated with old people that’s absurd. They are used more and more - professionally. Waiters and bar staff use them. Nurses use them. You find them in cool museums - take one and use it as a guide

iPad sales are now up to 60-80m a year. It’s huge business. Apple makes 30 BILLION dollars a year from iPads

Etc

No the answer must be something else. Perhaps a weird rivalry with Apple, in Zuck’s head
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

“Maybe Hitler got fucked up because his infancy was spent seeing various people in futuristic gear point a gun at him before going “no I can’t do it” and jumping into a portal”

https://twitter.com/jordbrookes/status/1588193975055310851?s=46&t=fHL7HgqXG7leatvhrzUvAA

I have to say I am wary of accusing the richest man in the world that he doesn't know what he is doing re making money, but he doesn't appear to re twitter.

I was also shocked to find out that twitter only had about 7000 employees (now about 3000).
    Assuming $200k average pay - I suspect it’s higher - the layoffs will save about $800m per year. That’s a big dent in the company’s losses (around $1.3bn).

The unknown is whether the layoffs damage the revenue generating capability of the company

His approach to engineering - develop quick, test and fail, and fail better - isn't going to work with an established social media business.
    If he's going to try to reinvent it from the ground up, he'd have been far better advised spending half of that $44 bn in setting up a completely new business.

I think he's made the mistake of thinking that that the 100m plus who follow him on Twitter also agree with him - as opposed to being interested in following what he does.
    What I realised the other day is that you don't have to like Musk to acknowledge that SpaceX is better at throwing stuff into space on the top of rockets, or that Tesla manufacture some of the better electric vehicles.

Websites like twitter succeed because people choose to use them, and then network effects follow and make it better. If enough people start using a different website or platform, then other people will follow. Then twitter is as dead as something that rhymes with DieFace.

Twitter is primarily a public relations business and not a technology business. Musk has been terrible at PR - say with the Thai cave rescue petulance - but I'd still buy Starlink from him because the PR doesn't affect its utility.

Just waiting to see which platform the people I follow on twitter will jump to. Some of them are on Instagram already (which is annoying), but I don't see the OSINT crowd moving there.
    Insta is truly terrible. You can’t put links in the posts. There isn’t an iPad app. It’s absurdly bad. I presume this is because Zuckerberg deliberately crippled it as a potential rival to FB (then along came tik tok and the rest, anyway - so it was self defeating)
    Yes. If I had to choose one social network to survive out of facebook, twitter and instagram, it wouldn't be instagram.
    The lack of an insta iPad app is mystifying in particular. They claim it’s because “there isn’t enough demand” and “it’s a nice idea but we haven’t got the time and people to do it” which is clearly bullshit

So why? Zuckerberg seems to have an aversion to Apple. Perhaps he once had plans to make his own phones and tablets so this is a lingering legacy of that?
    Apple wiped out a large proportion of Zuck's fortune by beefing up privacy controls on iphones.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Sean_F said:

Have just caught this thread. So in Florida, if you don't vote for Ron you are voting for Satan?

That's what we need. "How would Jesus vote". So that the Trump hate mobs can start slaying libruls and claim it is God's will.

Jesus would waste the libtards with an AK47 if he was in the US today.
    Well some say he was a communist so an AK47 would make sense.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

It's the default communication tool of teenage girls (in my A-level tutoring experience) so you may wish to reconsider your stance. Lads use it too but with a garnishing of Discord.
    AIUI Insta is seen as a bit UKIP by modern teens. They are on tiktok or that new selfie one from France

In the future every new generation will have its own new social medium. It’s kinda obvious really. Every generation wants to be different - and they don’t want to meet mum and dad online
    OGH's son is on here virtually every day.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/05/trump-desantis-barrel-toward-2024-00065247
    … “He can do what he wants, but Trump’s team made DeSantis,” Sabatini said of the governor. “He would have lost [in 2018] by 10, 20, maybe 30 points without Trump’s endorsement.”

I sense a trump desantis dream ticket coming
  • Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

It's the default communication tool of teenage girls (in my A-level tutoring experience) so you may wish to reconsider your stance. Lads use it too but with a garnishing of Discord.
    AIUI Insta is seen as a bit UKIP by modern teens. They are on tiktok or that new selfie one from France

In the future every new generation will have its own new social medium. It’s kinda obvious really. Every generation wants to be different - and they don’t want to meet mum and dad online
    Hah!
  • Options
    mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I contribute in @ScienceMagazine to the discussion of whether to leave Twitter: https://science.org/content/article/musk-reshapes-twitter-academics-ponder-taking-flight

Overall, I think the global Twitter community is a major knowledge hub, which showed its worth during the pandemic, and it is difficult to replace with current alternatives.

This is true, I think.
    If you're following a lot if different science stuff, it's become an outstanding resource.

If there's not a replacement for the good things about Twitter, then it will presumably survive, but battered and disrupted for a time.

Musk never seems to worry about disruption, so I assume feels able to make gambles.
    Twitter is a bog wall.

Twitter is reminiscent of the H Block cell walls when Irish republican prisoners weren't allowed to wear their own clothes, and weren't allowed to leave their cells to go to the toilet if they weren't wearing any clothes at all.

Twitter is one of the clearest indications to any sentient person of just what an excremental epoch we live in.

Twitter is like having graffiti on your clothes and blowing your nose on your sleeve.

It's interesting how people dwell on the negative aspects of Twitter. It's a bit like looking at people as a whole and saying "oh, they're just terrible, let's annihilate them in a flood and start again."

I have an enjoyable experience on Twitter interacting with far-flung friends, colleagues and casual acquaintances. I use its tools to let me block things I never want to see and quietly ignore people I don't want to offend but who are being a bit tedious. I don't really understand the visceral hatred, unless people are just viewing it as a "bad faith news outlet".
    I've seen it ruin too many people.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Apple wiped out a large proportion of Zuck's fortune by beefing up privacy controls on iphones.
    Good point
  • Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Must admit the range of his knowledge is breathtaking...
  • Options
    I'm really struggling to imagine @Dura_Ace patiently tutoring teenage girls whilst they discuss their Insta with him.
  • Options
    Apple are quite successful aren’t they?

30 billions dollars revenue, in one year - just from iPads

😶
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Leon said:

There is no official insta iPad app

There is only an official Insta app you can download from the app store and run, on your iPad,,,
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Apple keep making changes that mess with FB/Meta's business model (ie, grab as much personal data as you can in any (underhand) way you can). I imagine that's got something to do with it.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    turbotubbs asked: "The what now? Google suggest a part of the immune system."

The Major Histocompatibility Complex: Which may influence who we see (or smell) as attractive: "The major histocompatibility complex in sexual selection concerns how major histocompatibility complex (MHC) molecules allow for immune system surveillance of the population of protein molecules in a host's cells. In 1976, Yamazaki et al. demonstrated a sexual selection mate choice by male mice for females of a different MHC[clarify].

Major histocompatibility complex genes, which control the immune response and effective resistance against pathogens, have been able to maintain an extremely high level of allelic diversity throughout time and throughout different populations. Studies suggest that the MHC is involved in mate choice for many vertebrates through olfactory cues. There are several proposed hypotheses that address how MHC-associated mating preferences could be adaptive and how an unusually large amount of allelic diversity has been maintained in the MHC."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_histocompatibility_complex_and_sexual_selection

Having a variety of them makes us more resistant to disease, and so we are more likely to survive if we get a mix from parents with different sets. Or, to put it another way, opposites attract, because that gives any children they have more resistance to diseases.

(It is rather likely that a Chinese woman would have a very different set than an man from the UK.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Because it will make it seriously uncool. I associate ipads with people in their 60s.

I have a theory that social media cannot support multiple generations: when my parents got fb and messenger, we all shifted to insta. I think some of the insta generation started having kids, and therefore tiktok was born.

Insta is already uncool compared to TikTok and others. So that explanation doesn’t work. iPads and tablets are not seen as dated or associated with old people that’s absurd. They are used more and more - professionally. Waiters and bar staff use them. Nurses use them. You find them in cool museums - take one and use it as a guide

iPad sales are now up to 60-80m a year. It’s huge business. Apple make 30 BILLION dollars a year from iPads

Etc

No the answer must be something else. Perhaps a weird rivalry with Apple, in Zuck’s head
    Apple is worth as much as Google, Amazon and Meta combined, and Meta is the least of those three.
    Meta has lost a massive amount of value in the last year, and some of that is down to Apple’s ability to block Facebook ad tracking, so it’s not just in Zuck’s ugly noggin.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

I don’t.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

There is no official insta iPad app

There is only an official Insta app you can download from the app store and run, on your iPad,,,
    No there isn’t. There are a few crap non-native non-official iPad Instagram apps, which are severely dysfunctional as Instagram deliberately makes it hard for others to create these apps
  • Options

The Major Histocompatibility Complex: Which may influence who we see (or smell) as attractive: "The major histocompatibility complex in sexual selection concerns how major histocompatibility complex (MHC) molecules allow for immune system surveillance of the population of protein molecules in a host's cells. In 1976, Yamazaki et al. demonstrated a sexual selection mate choice by male mice for females of a different MHC[clarify].

Major histocompatibility complex genes, which control the immune response and effective resistance against pathogens, have been able to maintain an extremely high level of allelic diversity throughout time and throughout different populations. Studies suggest that the MHC is involved in mate choice for many vertebrates through olfactory cues. There are several proposed hypotheses that address how MHC-associated mating preferences could be adaptive and how an unusually large amount of allelic diversity has been maintained in the MHC."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_histocompatibility_complex_and_sexual_selection

Having a variety of them makes us more resistant to disease, and so we are more likely to survive if we get a mix from parents with different sets. Or, to put it another way, opposites attract, because that gives any children they have more resistance to diseases.

(It is rather likely that a Chinese woman would have a very different set than an man from the UK.)

I thought that was what you were on about, unlikely as it seemed.
    Has zero to do with Leon’s letch response, though.
  • Options
    On topic, I wish the "John Major: The Movie" party political broadcast in 1992 had had this voiceover.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited November 2022

🐎 A BETTING POST

Last weeks four from me had a torrid time, but still no worse than the winless Cheltenham weekend that I fortunately didn’t share tips publicly. I’m out of form. 😧

But having watched Rogue Heroes this week - it’s only she who dares wins 🫡

1.01 Aintree
    Milan Bridge

1.15 Wincanton
    Hang In There - form and distance

1.50 Wincanton
    Cap Du Nord - longish shot to beat Frodon

2.11 Aintree
    Lifetime Ambition

Whenever I follow racing tips I lose (knowing nothing) so good luck but I won't be following you!
    1 second, 1 5-1 win so far.

2 to go. Delay at moment, sanding Wincanton. Lush grass a bit too slippery.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

iPad sales are now up to 60-80m a year. It’s huge business. Apple make 30 BILLION dollars a year from iPads

Etc

Apple is worth as much as Google, Amazon and Meta combined, and Meta is the least of those three.
    Meta has lost a massive amount of value in the last year, and some of that is down to Apple’s ability to block Facebook ad tracking, so it’s not just in Zuck’s ugly noggin.
    Indeed. I wonder if Facebook will be the first huge tech company to fall out of the sky. Eventually one will, eventually they all will. No company is forever

What do they have or do that is irreplaceable? Facebook is fading, Instagram is still popular but it has deadly rivals, WhatsApp is great but it’s just a messaging service

Hence Meta. They really need that to work
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Meta is spending billions of dollars on VR that doesn't have a market

I saw an interview with a Meta dev who says they spend part of their day coding in the Metaverse. They put on the goggles, and sit at a virtual desk with a virtual laptop writing code.

Totally "meta", but barking mad...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

Apple are quite successful aren’t they?

30 billions dollars revenue, in one year - just from iPads

😶

And Tim Cook is quite woke.

Go woke and you don't go broke.

Take note Elon.
  • Options

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

It's interesting how people dwell on the negative aspects of Twitter. It's a bit like looking at people as a whole and saying "oh, they're just terrible, let's annihilate them in a flood and start again."

I have an enjoyable experience on Twitter interacting with far-flung friends, colleagues and casual acquaintances. I use its tools to let me block things I never want to see and quietly ignore people I don't want to offend but who are being a bit tedious. I don't really understand the visceral hatred, unless people are just viewing it as a "bad faith news outlet".
    You’re confusing the medium with the message.
    Social polarisation is far more likely to result from social media which silos you only with people who agree with you. Facebook has been far more damaging that Twitter.
  • Options
    Leon said:

No there isn’t.

There really is.

It's called Instagram.

Released by a company called Instagram, Inc.

In the app store. From your iPad.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Must admit the range of his knowledge is breathtaking...
    Great musical taste too 🥹
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

Dream? That sounds like a ******' nightmare.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

iPad sales are now up to 60-80m a year. It’s huge business. Apple makes 30 BILLION dollars a year from iPads

Etc

I remember when the iPad was first unveiled, at that big launch event by Jobs, and you were on here telling us all it was just a laptop with less functionality, and would never catch on...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

No there isn’t.

There really is.

It's called Instagram.

Released by a company called Instagram, Inc.

In the app store. From your iPad.
    You mean the mobile app which hasn’t been properly scaled nor adapted to the iPad, but which you can use if you’re desperate and sad. That one?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

Indeed. I wonder if Facebook will be the first huge tech company to fall out of the sky. Eventually one will, eventually they all will. No company is forever

What do they have or do that is irreplaceable? Facebook is fading, Instagram is still popular but it has deadly rivals, WhatsApp is great but it’s just a messaging service

Napster/Myspace/Palm/Blackberry
  • Options
    Leon said:

You mean the mobile app

an official Insta app you can download from the app store and run, on your iPad,,,

As I said
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

I'm really struggling to imagine @Dura_Ace patiently tutoring teenage girls whilst they discuss their Insta with him.

I'm good at it. Teenagers generally like my transgressive nature and rich fund of ripping yarns. I've also never got one pregnant which not many A-level tutors can say.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Note also the bit Jim didn’t quote.
    …However, the role of MHC in human mate choice has been relatively controversial. One study conducted by Ober et al. examined HLA types from 400 couples in the Hutterite community and found dramatically fewer HLA matches between husbands and wives than expected when considering the social structure of their community…

Either way, irrelevant to Leon’s observations in this instance.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Social polarisation is far more likely to result from social media which silos you only with people who agree with you. Facebook has been far more damaging that Twitter.
    Nonsense. Facebook is full of ads, groups, funny videos, books, short clips, boring friends, suggestions, bragging friends, and some anniversary reminders and videos. It's a smorgasbord and a mishmash.

Twitter is a sewer - a vortex.

It almost certainly led to Pluto's early death (ex of this parish) and I could name others it has completely changed too.
  • Options
    Tres said:

I think Excite was one of the first huge Internet failures
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226
    Dura strikes me as possessing slightly more social agility than the average PB poster.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Scott_xP said:

Nigelb said:

Meta is spending billions of dollars on VR that doesn't have a market

I saw an interview with a Meta dev who says they spend part of their day coding in the Metaverse. They put on the goggles, and sit at a virtual desk with a virtual laptop writing code.

Totally "meta", but barking mad...
    Developing tech that doesn't have a market is a tough call.

Look at 3D TV - splat!

Then look at the iPod - jackpot! (And again with the iPhone, and with the iPad.)
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

That's also very true of alcohol, cars, and large employers for me. But I wouldn't consign any of them to the bin.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

I remember when the iPad was first unveiled, at that big launch event by Jobs, and you were on here telling us all it was just a laptop with less functionality, and would never catch on...
    Quite unlikely as I bought the first iPad as soon as it became available, and my breathless enthusiasm for it made my excitement over escooters or What3Words seem tepid

I recall the sense of magic with the early iPads. This tablet that GLOWED in your hand. A miraculous device. People would look at then which shock or lust or envy. A genuine wow moment

They STILL have some of that. Wonderful things

Good luck in hospital, btw
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Nigelb said:

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Nonsense. Facebook is full of ads, groups, funny videos, books, short clips, boring friends, suggestions, bragging friends, and some anniversary reminders and videos. It's a smorgasbord and a mishmash.

It almost certainly led to Pluto's early death (ex of this parish) and I could name others it has completely changed too.
    Both are full of both those things.
    And just because (or precisely because) you don’t see the negative stuff on Facebook, doesn’t mean it’s not there, and actually more dangerous.

OTOH, Facebook has been upping its game on content moderation.
    Musk just canned much of Twitter’s capacity.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

thread dead

• Options
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

I meant one of the Big Five

Meta, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple

Which will fall first? A few years ago I would have guessed Microsoft but they seem to have upped their game. Now I’d guess Meta
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

Quite unlikely as I bought the first iPad as soon as it became available, and my breathless enthusiasm for it made my excitement over escooters or What3Words seem tepid

I recall the sense of magic with the early iPads. This tablet that GLOWED in your hand. A miraculous device. People would look at then which shock or lust or envy. A genuine wow moment

They STILL have some of that. Wonderful things

Good luck in hospital, btw
    Ta. I'm already on the boat back to the island, as I turned down the sedation so it was nice and quick. Just the biopsies to wait for, but they didn't look very worried.

I could actually feel them poking about and snipping away deep inside, which wasn't pleasant, but there we are.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Both are full of both those things.
    And just because (or precisely because) you don’t see the negative stuff on Facebook, doesn’t mean it’s not there, and actually more dangerous.

OTOH, Facebook has been upping its game on content moderation.
    Musk just canned much of Twitter’s capacity.
    The sacking of the entire accessibility is a scandal.

People with disabilities have just been told they aren't worth the effort.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    edited November 2022
    Tres said:

Dura strikes me as possessing slightly more social agility than the average PB poster.

Given his stories about cabin and wardroom mates on RN warships, I should think that [edit] interacting with a polite, deferential young person who's actually had a shower in the last 12 hours is a doddle.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

And Mark speaks so kindly of you :smile:

That sounds like "worth" calculated as stock market capitalisation.

Google is far more important than Apple. And not because Crapple's phone software is garbage. Google is practically a defining part of the transnational state.

Meanwhile "critics" focus on near irrelevancies such as the WEF.

• Options
    Keflavik must have the most wonderfully bleak location of any significant airport on earth. Love it
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

One rational reason for wanting people to use Instagram on their phones is that it encourages content creation rather than just consumption. They want it to be the primary way people share photos.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

One rational reason for wanting people to use Instagram on their phones is that it encourages content creation rather than just consumption. They want it to be the primary way people share photos.
    I never really got into Insta, but the dog loves his channel and is forever making me put stuff up there for him.

I wouldn't mind, but sometimes he can be really critical.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Leon said:

Keflavik must have the most wonderfully bleak location of any significant airport on earth. Love it

FYI in case you don't know the statue at the airport is concorde coming out of an egg. Apparently the aluminum for concorde came from Iceland. And another useless fact, Aluminum is the major industry of Iceland even though it has none. Because of the cheap energy for smelting, it is worth shipping Bauxite to Iceland.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

People who are too stupid to attach files to emails. Or handle a mailing list.

"Content" is an advertising term. Encouraging punters to be "content creators" is a step on from a foot in the door. Utterly schizo stuff. It's like climbing inside a TV set. This epoch is schizo as f***.
  • Options

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

Good point
  • Options
    A few intrepid folk out enjoying a Saturday's sailing in the rain today
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Martin10 said:

Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    Substack 24. Britain has lost control of its borders and the liberal minority has lost touch with what much of the rest of the country are thinking
    And this will soon have a profound impact on our politics

mattgoodwin.substack.com
    9:30 AM · Nov 5, 2022"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1588826008236732416

Dont know whether hes deliberately stirring the pot there....concerns about immigration come and go...apparently the british were hopping mad about immigration in 2004 yet net migration has been over 300000 a year since...
    …always…

Try a better grammar school.
    ... represents a smaller pause than a full stop but you would know that if you were educated better
    were had been.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

That's also very true of alcohol, cars, and large employers for me. But I wouldn't consign any of them to the bin.
    "What about.."
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    Substack 24. Britain has lost control of its borders and the liberal minority has lost touch with what much of the rest of the country are thinking
    And this will soon have a profound impact on our politics

mattgoodwin.substack.com
    9:30 AM · Nov 5, 2022"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1588826008236732416

Dont know whether hes deliberately stirring the pot there....concerns about immigration come and go...apparently the british were hopping mad about immigration in 2004 yet net migration has been over 300000 a year since...
    …always…

Try a better grammar school.
    ... represents a smaller pause than a full stop but you would know that if you were educated better
    were had been.
    Yet it would have worked had the last two words been swapped about
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    IanB2 said:

Martin10 said:

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

You find things out on twitter way before it hits the msm
    For anyone actively involved in politics, it's a must. When I was a principal authority cllr I used it all the time.
    And therein lies the problem - to too many journalists and politicians, it has become their world.
  • Options
    Driver said:

IanB2 said:

Martin10 said:

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

You find things out on twitter way before it hits the msm
    For anyone actively involved in politics, it's a must. When I was a principal authority cllr I used it all the time.
    And therein lies the problem - to too many journalists and politicians, it has become their world.
    Yes, but if you went on there and just followed accounts about cats, you wouldn't see any of that. It's what you follow that makes it
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

…However, the role of MHC in human mate choice has been relatively controversial. One study conducted by Ober et al. examined HLA types from 400 couples in the Hutterite community and found dramatically fewer HLA matches between husbands and wives than expected when considering the social structure of their community…

There is a transgressive attraction evident in many men, where youngsters of other ethnicities are considered sexually attractive, and also have looser morals so fair game.

Evident both amongst some Muslim Asian men in Northern English towns and also to some white males enthusiasm for Thai prostitutes.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I’m a bit baffled about why he thinks it should be taught in school too.
  • Options
    Best thing about Twitter during a long council meeting was in providing a legitimate reason to be scrolling about on an iPad...
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Twitter lost a bit over $200 million last year. Does the deterioration include the new interest cost on Musk’s borrowing for the takeover ?
    I was basing it on a journalists tweet this morning saying it was losing $3.5m per day
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

“Over the past year, one in six UK adults has had a pressing need for medical examination or treatment and been unable to get access, with almost half of these cases due to the length of waiting lists”

https://www.ft.com/content/de8fc348-0025-4821-9ec5-d50b4bbacc8d

This just got personal for me today. I’ve got a very painful, infected wisdom tooth and my mouth has swelled up. Several rounds of antibiotics haven’t worked. My NHS dentist can’t operate because theres too much of a risk of nerve damage.

Referred to the hospital with the shortest waiting list:

18 months.

My dentist thinks there’s a private dentist who may be prepared to operate in six weeks’ time, at a cost of £110 for the initial consultation, £400-700 for the operation + potentially another £250 for scans.

I have no choice but to pay, do I?

I can’t be in pretty bad pain, with my mouth swollen up and an untreated infection for 18 months, can I?!!

The provision of emergency NHS dentistry has all but evaporated.

“You can’t trust the tories with the NHS” is proving true for millions, like me, across the UK. They deserve to be trounced at the next election.

The Tories deserve to be whupped to hell in the next election. They won't be, though. They will probably win it with a majority, perhaps an increased majority.

Immigration trumps health as a political issue BY A LONG WAY. Most voters are bigoted thickos. Large numbers will blame the blacks, Asians, Albanians, Muslims, and what the gutter press encourage them to believe is a culture of "let them all in and give them lots of free stuff", for practically EVERY problem to do with health, education, street crime, falling real wages, cuts in public services, housing, etc., and for their general mostly unarticulated feeling that they feel like sh*t most of the time.

Tories to full on on hassling migrants now until the next election..mail will run the obligatory headlines
    Yes.

And really hard for Labour to fight against. It would be even if the entire leadership had the will to.

I'm trying to work out what bet might be in order, given that I hold this view. Possibly a lay of Keir Starmer as next PM.
    If we are still in recession, provided unemployment hasn't rocketed, most people will have concerns closer to home.
    The clever move is to conflate the two (govt is spendng money on Albanians not me). Crack that and it's Springtime for Hitler.

ETA best wishes for your scan, hope it finds nothing it shouldn't.
    Surely you would -*want* it to find anything that shouldn’t be there…
  • Options
    England 3 trys up after 15 min against PNG. There really are not enough competitive countries for a real World Cup.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    Foxy said:

England 3 trys up after 15 min against PNG. There really are not enough competitive countries for a real World Cup.

England look very impressive, and have since the first game. I can’t work out if they have reached the level of the Aussies yet, or maybe gone past them.
    But yes, it’s a very small pool of winners.
  • Options

Foxy said:

England look very impressive, and have since the first game. I can’t work out if they have reached the level of the Aussies yet, or maybe gone past them.
    But yes, it’s a very small pool of winners.
    England do look good. This PNG side demolished Wales but are completely outclassed.
This discussion has been closed.