Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Invoking God – the craziest political ad you are ever likely to see – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A group of people at a west London immigration removal centre caused "disturbance" on Saturday morning, the Home Office has claimed.

No one was injured during the incident at Harmondsworth detention centre near Heathrow Airport, but the power was still out just before 9am on Saturday, the department said.

The Home Office initially claimed that a "group of detainees left their rooms" and went into a courtyard area "armed with various weaponry", but later withdrew that claim.

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

These are people who have been ordered by a court to be detained, or who are in the asylum process but deemed to be a flight risk.

Do you believe that we should let them go on the grounds that they are prepared to used violence (and weapons) to achieve their objective? Do you believe that makes them more or less attractive to the UK as an immigrant?
    Why in the name of God would you deduce from my posting the story that I think any of that?
    “So it begins” implies that you think that the government should give way
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

Yesterday’s @thetimes /@YouGov polling found that many Leavers think Sunak is a Remainer, but most Remainers know he’s a Brexiteer.
    That’s a dangerous place to be ahead of any general election, when more people (green line) think in hindsight quitting the EU was a mistake. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1588846276560715777/photo/1

How can they think Sunak is a Remainer ? Further highlights that the Leave vote was made up by a lot of low information voters.
    I'd love to see some exploration of this.
    First guess: post-furlough, Sunak is seen as the boring, spreadsheety "you can't have something for nothing" type. And in 2016, that was the Remain approach.

And part of the story of 2016 and 2019 was voting for optimism over arithmetic. Not all of it, but a part of it-maybe a decisive part.

Unfortunately, arithmetic isn't changed by the will of the people.
  • Options

Let’s ignore the religious overtones here - that’s just US specific. Not crazy, just different.

More interesting is the defensive doom-landed tone. You need a fighter/protector because you are under threat and only I can save you. Proto-fascist rather fascist in my view, but the strong man motif (and the positioning as the Chosen One) certainly has the potential to develop that way

Which is not dissimilar to Braverman’s language of “invasion”.
    Not really 1 much more sophisticated. Braveman’s approach is demonising a specific group - De Santis is much more subtle (!) in that is posits a generic threat with a specific protector

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,577
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

Yesterday’s @thetimes /@YouGov polling found that many Leavers think Sunak is a Remainer, but most Remainers know he’s a Brexiteer.
    That’s a dangerous place to be ahead of any general election, when more people (green line) think in hindsight quitting the EU was a mistake. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1588846276560715777/photo/1

How can they think Sunak is a Remainer ? Further highlights that the Leave vote was made up by a lot of low information voters.
    I can understand it. They associate “remainer” with urbane, technocratic softly spoken types and “leaver” with rabble rousing slightly scruffier and more charismatic politicians.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182

Alistair said:

Floridians voted in a binding referendum...

De Santis has done everything in his power to overturn this result...

And DeSantis boasts about this.

De Santis is a fascist.

Hmm.
    I wouldn't get too afraid of the F word for where the GOP are heading. Eg they're intent on putting election deniers in charge of elections. People who believe the Republicans losing is proof of a fraudulent vote. In charge of the vote. Deeply suboptimal.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Let’s ignore the religious overtones here - that’s just US specific. Not crazy, just different.

More interesting is the defensive doom-landed tone. You need a fighter/protector because you are under threat and only I can save you. Proto-fascist rather fascist in my view, but the strong man motif (and the positioning as the Chosen One) certainly has the potential to develop that way

"Fascist" has become an aspirational state in the GOP.
    I don’t think so, but they are falling for the strong leader BS
  • Options
    Martin10Martin10 Posts: 142
    expensive long haul flights

Anyone else noticed how crazy expensive long haul flights have got. Early Dec flights to Sydney £1800 to £2000, Bangkok £1200. Even Dubai 700 to 800
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Observation. Iceland is full of young Chinese tourists. I’ve seen them across the country. They are obviously wealthy, with expensive winter clothes

I’ve been told they are generally “affluent Chinese students studying in the UK”

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it...

You've got older, so pretty young girls look prettier to you.
    If that was the case I would similarly fancy all the young British or American women here. I don’t

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

De Santis is a fascist.

Hmm.
    I wouldn't get too afraid of the F word for where the GOP are heading. Eg they're intent on putting election deniers in charge of elections. People who believe the Republicans losing is proof of a fraudulent vote. In charge of the vote. Deeply suboptimal.
    Trump is going to declare he will run again after the midterms
  • Options
    TimS said:

I wonder if there is a difference in fash danger level between countries where support for strongman authoritarianism is mainly among the old, and those where it’s the young.

The former generally seems to reflect nostalgic rural oldies who are reasonably financially comfortable but uneasy with the direction of society. Apparent in Russia with support for Putin, MAGA in the US, the Ayatollahs in Iran.

The latter seems the case in France with RN,
    India with Modi and in some of the Scandinavian and E European countries.

Gerontocratic authoritarianism self-cancelling, young authoritarianism naturally growing?

To be fair a lot of young people at Trump rallies too...as the young get poorer they will turn to extremes
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

A group of people at a west London immigration removal centre caused "disturbance" on Saturday morning, the Home Office has claimed.

No one was injured during the incident at Harmondsworth detention centre near Heathrow Airport, but the power was still out just before 9am on Saturday, the department said.

The Home Office initially claimed that a "group of detainees left their rooms" and went into a courtyard area "armed with various weaponry", but later withdrew that claim.

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

These are people who have been ordered by a court to be detained, or who are in the asylum process but deemed to be a flight risk.

Do you believe that we should let them go on the grounds that they are prepared to used violence (and weapons) to achieve their objective? Do you believe that makes them more or less attractive to the UK as an immigrant?

I think we should look at the failings of the Home Office to process people quickly and to deport those who should be deported quickly and to run these detention centres in a sensible way. The people at the top, Braverman, Patel, should take responsibility for their failings.
    The asylum process needs to be streamlined. I’d limit to one appeal, for example, and provide more bandwidth.

Deportation is very difficult unless the individual cooperates - you need to prove where they came from. That’s actually how I’d use Rwanda… if you don’t tell us where you came from we will pay Rwanda to take you…
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

Why in the name of God would you deduce from my posting the story that I think any of that?
    No it does not. It could equally imply I thought we should be napalming them.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    Switched on GB News to find 2 Tory MPs presenting a show. Philip Davies and Esther McVey.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,499
    On those attractive Chinese women: I thought everyone knew about the MHC. If that isn't being taught in British schools, it should be.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Excellent start. All about staying focused, keeping cool and closing it out! 👍

Why can you guys not keep your mouths shut?!!!
    You could all focus on watching the men tapping a ball away with a stick and then running up and down while someone else goes to fetch it, and leave the rest of us untroubled by all the gripping details...
    To be fair that’s pretty much what you do with your dog 😂
    Not today, sadly (although constant rain would have kept the ball away anyhow); he's unhappy in kennels while I am I unhappy in Southampton being minutes away from having a camera pushed down my throat...
    Good luck. But your gastroenterologist should really be using Alicam.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Martin10 said:

Anyone else noticed how crazy expensive long haul flights have got. Early Dec flights to Sydney £1800 to £2000, Bangkok £1200. Even Dubai 700 to 800

I looked at alternative flights for myself from Keflavik-Heathrow, due to an awkward time clash

Insane prices just for one way. I decided to stick with my free flight as it stands

Airline travel is surging in price. Seems to be a mix of demand and supply issues
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Nashville is cheap
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Observation. Iceland is full of young Chinese tourists. I’ve seen them across the country. They are obviously wealthy, with expensive winter clothes

I’ve been told they are generally “affluent Chinese students studying in the UK”

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it...

If that was the case I would similarly fancy all the young British or American women here. I don’t

On topic of young people not wanting to work i wonder if rising levels of female obesity affect young mens motivation to work hard...after all if the prize is on the obese side maybe you say screw that ill play video games
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,137

England shitting the bed here.

Evergreen post.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

No it does not. It could equally imply I thought we should be napalming them.
    Based on your posting history I can imagine you’d like to napalm the government

• Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

@IshmaelZ has been predicting civil unrest on the migration issue. I took “so it begins” to mean that
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

De Santis is a fascist.

Hmm.
    Trump is going to declare he will run again after the midterms
    Yes. I've bet on that at average 1.45 and expect to collect. But I've laid him for the Nom and the WH. Those bets are underwater bigtime atm. He'll probably go 1.75 for the Nom and dip under 4 for the WH after he announces. If so I'll lay a bit more. His road is rocky.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Martin10 said:

I looked at alternative flights for myself from Keflavik-Heathrow, due to an awkward time clash

Insane prices just for one way. I decided to stick with my free flight as it stands

Airline travel is surging in price. Seems to be a mix of demand and supply issues
    It is for long haul yet you can still get flights to the canaries for £50 which is still insanely cheap
  • Options
    Told you we'd win 👍
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    mwadams said:

England shitting the bed here.

Evergreen post.
    The winning hit was only the third boundary after the powerplay.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Martin10 said:

It is for long haul yet you can still get flights to the canaries for £50 which is still insanely cheap

*googles flights to Gran Canaria*
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

Seems pretty niche info to me given he was a 1 year standing backbencher at the time of the vote. I didn't know one way or the other, and now that I do I am inclined to think 60/40 it was a career position not a deeply held conviction.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

@IshmaelZ has been predicting civil unrest on the migration issue. I took “so it begins” to mean that
    No people are still too comfortable....old boomers like to moan but they wont do anything
  • Options
    "Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    Substack 24. Britain has lost control of its borders and the liberal minority has lost touch with what much of the rest of the country are thinking
    And this will soon have a profound impact on our politics

mattgoodwin.substack.com
    9:30 AM · Nov 5, 2022"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1588826008236732416
  • Options
    Goodness. It’s true. London Stansted to the Canaries: £50

That’s tempting
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,923
    Ishmael_Z said:

Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

OT, the weather today is biblically awful. November is God’s punishment for something.

Whereabouts? It's okay in Brentwood which is where I am atm.
    November is a month with no redeeming qualities..dark nights that get darker and miserable weather...the worst month of the year
    No sun — no moon!
    No morn — no noon —
    No dawn — no dusk — no proper time of day.

No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
    No comfortable feel in any member —
    No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
    No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! —
    November!

Thomas Hood

ETA but I will take it over Jan/Feb/Mar/most of Apr
    Made me nostalgic to listen to The Art of Noise 'Opus 4' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_F6oKsHiQ
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    edited November 2022
    Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

On topic of young people not wanting to work i wonder if rising levels of female obesity affect young mens motivation to work hard...after all if the prize is on the obese side maybe you say screw that ill play video games
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Andy_JS said:

Switched on GB News to find 2 Tory MPs presenting a show. Philip Davies and Esther McVey.

Do many Tory MP's do any actual MPing in between their proper jobs?
  • Options
    I see we have a new poster with the St Petersburg Ellipsis style.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Martin10 said:

Haven't been there since the early 90s. It was already overdeveloped.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

No people are still too comfortable....old boomers like to moan but they wont do anything
    Dust up in a Dublin suburb a couple of days ago, threats from a woman on a Norwich housing estate, leaks of hotels being repurposed. If it easn't in bad taste I would bet at evens on a proper fight on GB territory by Xmas.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Carnyx said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

All the comment that needs.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,184
    Interesting history of British Summer Time and its various suspensions and extensions:

https://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2022/10/the-longest-periods-of-british-summer.html?m=1
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What's your average time between Switch On and Switch Off for GB News?

Mine's 3.5 seconds or so - pretty quick - but my record is an incredible 0.23.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

In which case it's fairly likely cosmetic surgery.
    Routine for the children of the affluent in several Asian countries.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmetic_surgery_in_China

If you watch much Asian TV drama, you'll see a very similar effect over the last decade.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

All these Chinese girls are slender as the yarrow stalk, of course

Maybe it’s just a case of them staying normally slim whereas everyone else has gotten fat?

Could be a bit of that, but there is something else at work. When I went to the ICE CAVE OF VATNAJOKULL we met a tour group of these young Chinese tourists coming the other way, delicately stepping across the glacier. The group was 80% female and, of them, 60% were ravishingly pretty

It was like encountering a Parisian cat walk at the North Pole
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    Substack 24. Britain has lost control of its borders and the liberal minority has lost touch with what much of the rest of the country are thinking

mattgoodwin.substack.com

Dont know whether hes deliberately stirring the pot there....concerns about immigration come and go...apparently the british were hopping mad about immigration in 2004 yet net migration has been over 300000 a year since...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

mattgoodwin.substack.com

No it won't soon have an impact - it already has an impact, which is one reason they are not even further behind.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

Leon said:

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it. Maybe Xi has ordered all the plain ones to stay home, to promote China’s image abroad

We were worried that you had visited Iceland for the natural splendour of glaciers and volcanoes.

It is comforting to know that you are actually there for the Hot Teen Girls.
    Hot Co-eds surely?

We have lots of Chinese students in Leicester at both Universities, and I agree they are a good looking bunch. In part it is that they dress well, in designer clothes that suit their figures, though generally the male students dress poorly. This does make them stand out in Britain, where most people dress badly. Similarly we'll groomed and made up.

I think the reason that rich women are considered better looking is in part better diet when young, better physical fitness, better skin from not smoking, etc; but also because society has certain predjuces against some styles as much as it does against some accents.

Being British, we are very class conscious and can generally assess someone's social class by how they dress, how they speak, their hair-style, their manners, and generally higher class is higher rated.
  • Options
    Never in doubt.
  • Options

On those attractive Chinese women: I thought everyone knew about the MHC. If that isn't being taught in British schools, it should be.

??
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_histocompatibility_complex
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: @BloombergUK Saturday read

Tory MPs — including some in the Cabinet — are worried the Sunak/Hunt tax rises and spending cuts will go too far, killing off growth and their electoral prospects

One Cabinet minister says Sunak risks managing UK decline

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-04/tories-fear-sunak-is-just-managing-britain-s-decline-and-they-want-a-vision-for-growth

Good old leaky Sue.
    They're absolutely right.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

If you watch much Asian TV drama, you'll see a very similar effect over the last decade.
    That’s fascinating, thanks

You could well be right. The wiki page even mentions students:

“Students make up the bulk of cosmetic surgery patients under 30 and estimates show that there are 20 million people in China who have had cosmetic surgery.[citation needed] In 2014 alone, over 7 million people, mostly young women, had cosmetic surgery, when the country’s cosmetic surgery industry was valued at RMB400 billion”

Cosmetic surgery would also chime with their obvious wealth

• Options
    IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

'Remainer" no longer means someone who voted against Brexit, but now refers to someone unwilling to deny reality, or who likes facts, or who makes the mistake of listening to an 'expert'. Merely voting for Brexit isn't sufficient to remove the stain of remainery from someone who displays judgement and common sense in other aspects of their life.

Hence the bizarro situation where Truss (who campaigned for Remain and made decent points on the benefits for Britons being able to move freely across Europe) was seen as a better Leaver than Sunak (who campaigned for it before it was trendy).
  • Options
    Leon said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

All these Chinese girls are slender as the yarrow stalk, of course

Maybe it’s just a case of them staying normally slim whereas everyone else has gotten fat?

Could be a bit of that, but there is something else at work. When I went to the ICE CAVE OF VATNAJOKULL we met a tour group of these young Chinese tourists coming the other way, delicately stepping across the glacier. The group was 80% female and, of them, 60% were ravishingly pretty

It was like encountering a Parisian cat walk at the North Pole
    We could launch an anti obesity drive amongst our young women to encourage the men to work
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Mine is better - I do not switch it on in the first place
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,589

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

I think we should look at the failings of the Home Office to process people quickly and to deport those who should be deported quickly and to run these detention centres in a sensible way. The people at the top, Braverman, Patel, should take responsibility for their failings.
    The asylum process needs to be streamlined. I’d limit to one appeal, for example, and provide more bandwidth.

Deportation is very difficult unless the individual cooperates - you need to prove where they came from. That’s actually how I’d use Rwanda… if you don’t tell us where you came from we will pay Rwanda to take you…
    Processing asylum claims and carrying out deportations were working fine some years ago. There had been a precipitous drop in performance. See, for example, the graphs at https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/deportation-and-voluntary-departure-from-the-uk/ These claims that the process needs streamlining or that it’s really hard are a distraction, excuses to deflect from operational problems. The problems began and continued under the Conservatives and their policies.

The problem isn’t the asylum rules or Albanians. The problem is that the Home Office under Patel and Braverman can’t do its job properly.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,589
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

mattgoodwin.substack.com

Another attempt to blame the “liberal minority” for the failings of Conservative government.

• Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Darren Grimes has been sacked so gb news lose woke points now
  • Options
    Bit disappointed to discover that all these exquisite Chinese girls have, in fact, just had a lot of work done
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

As I pointed out last night, we used in 2012to deport 5 times as many as recent years. All that time we have had harsh Tory Home Secretaries. This was true even before covid and Brexit. Laws haven't become more lax.

I put it down to austerity related cuts in the Home Office and immigration service. Want an effective service, then it has to be paid for. If you aren't willing to pay, then shut up and take it.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Emitting a stream of "knowing old cynic" output. That's not the way to win hearts & minds.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

mattgoodwin.substack.com

Another attempt to blame the “liberal minority” for the failings of Conservative government.

How the conservatives can seriously run on immigration beats me...who has been in power the last 12 years
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

No idea who he is and frankly not interested
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    Driver said:

You'd think they could have amended the code to replace '...' with ' - ' by now.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

That's cheating though.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Clearly this was a pitch where the ball was very hard to hit once it got soft. Both teams struggled in the second half.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it. Maybe Xi has ordered all the plain ones to stay home, to promote China’s image abroad

We were worried that you had visited Iceland for the natural splendour of glaciers and volcanoes.

Hot Co-eds surely?

We have lots of Chinese students in Leicester at both Universities, and I agree they are a good looking bunch. In part it is that they dress well, in designer clothes that suit their figures, though generally the male students dress poorly. This does make them stand out in Britain, where most people dress badly. Similarly we'll groomed and made up.

I think the reason that rich women are considered better looking is in part better diet when young, better physical fitness, better skin from not smoking, etc; but also because society has certain predjuces against some styles as much as it does against some accents.

Being British, we are very class conscious and can generally assess someone's social class by how they dress, how they speak, their hair-style, their manners, and generally higher class is higher rated.
    "Being British, we are very class conscious..."

Is that still really a thing?
  • Options

Never in doubt.

Another handful of runs and England might have been struggling.
    They are not playing with the usual swagger.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,499
    Off topic, but important: "Researchers in Britain say they have used genetic sequencing to help cure a man who was infected with the coronavirus for more than 411 days.

The 59-year-old patient, who had a weakened immune system due to a kidney transplant and the use of an immunosuppressant drug, initially tested positive in December 2020."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/11/04/chronic-covid-uk-cure-genomic/

Nice work. (As I understand it, some researchers believe that such patients may be the sources of new variants -- which is no something we need.)
  • Options

Curious stat on the subject;

For Republicans, it's becoming more apparent that they value the *idea* of religion without actually participating.

In 2008, 17% of Republicans who never/seldom attended said religion was very important.

In 2021, that had risen to 27%.

To be Republican is to be religious.

https://twitter.com/ryanburge/status/1588570590809829376

Probably easier to do Republican stuff if you're not being exposed to all that "who is my neighbour?" talk on a regular basis.

Isn’t that pretty much the story of religion in the developed world? In my own bit, in my experience hardcore Protestants have neither interest in or knowledge of the religious element of their identity. Catholics have a more sentimental attachment to the rituals but pretty sure all the ones I know haven’t been to mass for decades. The only part of my world in which folk seem religiously observant is the Outer Hebrides.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,923
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

“Students make up the bulk of cosmetic surgery patients under 30 and estimates show that there are 20 million people in China who have had cosmetic surgery.[citation needed] In 2014 alone, over 7 million people, mostly young women, had cosmetic surgery, when the country’s cosmetic surgery industry was valued at RMB400 billion”

Somewhat related - one of the first things the female Chinese students do when they arrive in my neck of the woods is head off to the chemists to buy skin whitening creams. As I understand it they are either banned or restricted back home. Make yourself seem even more wealthy/elite/upper-class with pale skin.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

As I pointed out last night, we used in 2012to deport 5 times as many as recent years. All that time we have had harsh Tory Home Secretaries. This was true even before covid and Brexit. Laws haven't become more lax.

I put it down to austerity related cuts in the Home Office and immigration service. Want an effective service, then it has to be paid for. If you aren't willing to pay, then shut up and take it.
    Of course legalisation of drugs may help as many of the migrants are looking to work in the drugs trade...of course without legal.immigration the health servicecwould collapse which many old gammons dont seem to understand
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    On topic, for comparison:

https://youtu.be/RcnQ9imDrWk
  • Options

For Republicans, it's becoming more apparent that they value the *idea* of religion without actually participating.

In 2008, 17% of Republicans who never/seldom attended said religion was very important.

Probably easier to do Republican stuff if you're not being exposed to all that "who is my neighbour?" talk on a regular basis.

Isn’t that pretty much the story of religion in the developed world? In my own bit, in my experience hardcore Protestants have neither interest in or knowledge of the religious element of their identity. Catholics have a more sentimental attachment to the rituals but pretty sure all the ones I know haven’t been to mass for decades. The only part of my world in which folk seem religiously observant is the Outer Hebrides.
    People know they believe, but seem generally confused as to what they believe.

Always true to a degree I suppose, normal people not being particularly entranced by arcane theological philosophising, but even the basic tenets or adherence seems slipped without denting fervour in some.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Hot Co-eds surely?

Just look at PB. Some posters bounce up and down with fury worse than the neighbours' weans on their trampoline if you dare to suggest that "public" [sic] schools are a bad thing, should pay their fair share of rates, etc. Ditto the idea of taxing the Tory rentiers on their capital either in life or at death. And at least one poster regularly praises the system of having Old Etonian MPs and wants to go back to the good old days of Tory squirearchies and serfs in the shires.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Somewhat related - one of the first things the female Chinese students do when they arrive in my neck of the woods is head off to the chemists to buy skin whitening creams. As I understand it they are either banned or restricted back home. Make yourself seem even more wealthy/elite/upper-class with pale skin.
    Thats a big thing in se asia too
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Never in doubt.

Another handful of runs and England might have been struggling.
    They are not playing with the usual swagger.
    Not too sure about that, it seemed to be a huge change in mindset caused by getting down to below a run a ball, barely looking for boundaries after that point.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

mattgoodwin.substack.com

Dont know whether hes deliberately stirring the pot there....concerns about immigration come and go...apparently the british were hopping mad about immigration in 2004 yet net migration has been over 300000 a year since...
    I can't be bothered to check, but iirc, he was tweeting about relaxed Brits have become about migration only a few months ago.

• Options
    Leon said:

Bit disappointed to discover that all these exquisite Chinese girls have, in fact, just had a lot of work done

And I was worried you were suffering early symptoms of the Asian Persuasion
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807

Very much so. Under Trump, quite a number of non-religious, right wing, Americans started identifying as Evangelicals, despite never attending church.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Hot Co-eds surely?

Not as much as people think it is.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

'Remainer" no longer means someone who voted against Brexit, but now refers to someone unwilling to deny reality, or who likes facts, or who makes the mistake of listening to an 'expert'. Merely voting for Brexit isn't sufficient to remove the stain of remainery from someone who displays judgement and common sense in other aspects of their life.

Hence the bizarro situation where Truss (who campaigned for Remain and made decent points on the benefits for Britons being able to move freely across Europe) was seen as a better Leaver than Sunak (who campaigned for it before it was trendy).
    As the late Queen fabulously and uncomfortably said to a bunch of bankers, 'the experts' in these cases have tended to get their predictions wrong more than right. In the latest case of 'liking facts' we have portraying Truss and Kwarteng as mad for not aligning their budget with OBR forecasts - but the OBR forecasts have never been correct.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Tory MPs — including some in the Cabinet — are worried the Sunak/Hunt tax rises and spending cuts will go too far, killing off growth and their electoral prospects

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-04/tories-fear-sunak-is-just-managing-britain-s-decline-and-they-want-a-vision-for-growth

Good old leaky Sue.
    I would argue that apart from brief moments of optimism under T Blair and Thatcher, successive UK PMs (incl those 2) have managed decline....... its a reality that British voters need to wake up to.
    Relative decline has been the case since the 1870's.

But, it doesn't mean we've been getting poorer over that period.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Also skincare routines.
    Korean products are outstandingly good, and the consumer spend on them is significantly greater than over here.
  • Options

Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

mattgoodwin.substack.com

I can't be bothered to check, but iirc, he was tweeting about relaxed Brits have become about migration only a few months ago.

Shows the power of the media to stir things up...when boomers say they are hopping mad about immigration dont take them seriously. They were hopping mad in the early 2000s too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Hot Co-eds surely?

Yes it is a thing, and most people know it, and it's even more predominant than most people think it is.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Also skincare routines.
    Korean products are outstandingly good, and the consumer spend on them is significantly greater than over here.
    They’re also beautifully slender. Not one was overweight. A sad contrast with UK/US citizens
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Also skincare routines.
    They’re also beautifully slender. Not one was overweight. A sad contrast with UK/US citizens
    Very true and im pretty sure it is affecting the motivation of our young men to work
  • Options
    Why Twitter is worth $44bn

“Maybe Hitler got fucked up because his infancy was spent seeing various people in futuristic gear point a gun at him before going “no I can’t do it” and jumping into a portal”

https://twitter.com/jordbrookes/status/1588193975055310851?s=46&t=fHL7HgqXG7leatvhrzUvAA
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Good old leaky Sue.
    I would argue that apart from brief moments of optimism under T Blair and Thatcher, successive UK PMs (incl those 2) have managed decline....... its a reality that British voters need to wake up to.
    Relative decline has been the case since the 1870's.

But, it doesn't mean we've been getting poorer over that period.
    Many have been getting poorer since 2008 though
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Hot Co-eds surely?

Yes it is a thing, and most people know it, and it's even more predominant than most people think it is.
    We shall have to disagree to disagree. I think a small number of people are obsessed by class, and so see its tendrils reaching far wider than is now the case, being very self conscious about their own or others' supposed status.

I don't say there is nothing, but it is not the overwhelming thing some still seem to want it to be.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Hot Co-eds surely?

Just look at PB. Some posters bounce up and down with fury worse than the neighbours' weans on their trampoline if you dare to suggest that "public" [sic] schools are a bad thing, should pay their fair share of rates, etc. Ditto the idea of taxing the Tory rentiers on their capital either in life or at death. And at least one poster regularly praises the system of having Old Etonian MPs and wants to go back to the good old days of Tory squirearchies and serfs in the shires.
    Some? I think you have just written the CV of one precisely.
  • Options
    I contribute in @ScienceMagazine to the discussion of whether to leave Twitter: https://science.org/content/article/musk-reshapes-twitter-academics-ponder-taking-flight

Overall, I think the global Twitter community is a major knowledge hub, which showed its worth during the pandemic, and it is difficult to replace with current alternatives.

https://mobile.twitter.com/M_B_Petersen/status/1588793614528040960

This is true, I think.
    If you're following a lot if different science stuff, it's become an outstanding resource.
    That is now at risk from people abandoning the platform.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    Leon said:

Why Twitter is worth $44bn

“Maybe Hitler got fucked up because his infancy was spent seeing various people in futuristic gear point a gun at him before going “no I can’t do it” and jumping into a portal”

https://twitter.com/jordbrookes/status/1588193975055310851?s=46&t=fHL7HgqXG7leatvhrzUvAA

I have to say I am wary of accusing the richest man in the world that he doesn't know what he is doing re making money, but he doesn't appear to re twitter.

I was also shocked to find out that twitter only had about 7000 employees (now about 3000).
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Martin10 said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Thats a big thing in se asia too
    Whitenicious skin cream is consumed a lot in the USA too.

For many it's not so much about appearing rich or elite, but exploitation and encouragement no. 70345 relating to women's lack of confidence about their looks, this time with an underlying racial theme which is very unpleasant because if someone thinks beauty is more prevalent in one ethnic group than another then they are a narrow-minded idiot at best (and at worst an out-and-out racist). The marketing doesn't explicitly say "Look like a white woman". It says things like this will help you deal with your skin blemishes.

On a tangent: the country with highest prevalence of cosmetic surgery is surely Venezuela, where "beauty" competitions are like a national plague, rife all over the place, and from a young age too.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

OT, the weather today is biblically awful. November is God’s punishment for something.

Whereabouts? It's okay in Brentwood which is where I am atm.
    November is a month with no redeeming qualities..dark nights that get darker and miserable weather...the worst month of the year
    The advantage of November is that it gets very dark, but the temperatures have not yet caught up, and so it's not too cold. Therefore ideal for star-watching.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985

Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

A chav in a tie who spouts non-stop alt-right bollocks from Twitter direct to the homes of gammony boomers on GB News and looks like a skinny, middle-aged lesbian despite being cis-male.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    The american right will soon be conococting a conspiracy theory that Musk was a secret agent sent to destroy free speech...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I contribute in @ScienceMagazine to the discussion of whether to leave Twitter: https://science.org/content/article/musk-reshapes-twitter-academics-ponder-taking-flight

Overall, I think the global Twitter community is a major knowledge hub, which showed its worth during the pandemic, and it is difficult to replace with current alternatives.

https://mobile.twitter.com/M_B_Petersen/status/1588793614528040960

This is true, I think.
    If you're following a lot if different science stuff, it's become an outstanding resource.
    That is now at risk from people abandoning the platform.

If there's not a replacement for the good things about Twitter, then it will presumably survive, but battered and disrupted for a time.

Musk never seems to worry about disruption, so I assume feels able to make gambles.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    🐎 A BETTING POST

Last weeks four from me had a torrid time, but still no worse than the winless Cheltenham weekend that I fortunately didn’t share tips publicly. I’m out of form. 😧

But having watched Rogue Heroes this week - it’s only she who dares wins 🫡

1.01 Aintree
    Milan Bridge

1.15 Wincanton
    Hang In There - form and distance

1.50 Wincanton
    Cap Du Nord - longish shot to beat Frodon

2.11 Aintree
    Lifetime Ambition
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

A chav in a tie who spouts non-stop alt-right bollocks from Twitter direct to the homes of gammony boomers on GB News and looks like a skinny, middle-aged lesbian despite being cis-male.
    Neil Olivers saturday sermons are my favourite
  • Options
    kjh said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Hot Co-eds surely?

Some? I think you have just written the CV of one precisely.
    Oh, there's more than that. But yes, come to think of it.
This discussion has been closed.