Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Invoking God – the craziest political ad you are ever likely to see – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A group of people at a west London immigration removal centre caused "disturbance" on Saturday morning, the Home Office has claimed.

No one was injured during the incident at Harmondsworth detention centre near Heathrow Airport, but the power was still out just before 9am on Saturday, the department said.

The Home Office initially claimed that a "group of detainees left their rooms" and went into a courtyard area "armed with various weaponry", but later withdrew that claim.

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

These are people who have been ordered by a court to be detained, or who are in the asylum process but deemed to be a flight risk.

Do you believe that we should let them go on the grounds that they are prepared to used violence (and weapons) to achieve their objective? Do you believe that makes them more or less attractive to the UK as an immigrant?
    Why in the name of God would you deduce from my posting the story that I think any of that?
    “So it begins” implies that you think that the government should give way

@IshmaelZ has been predicting civil unrest on the migration issue. I took “so it begins” to mean that
    Nah. He meant the power cuts.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,600

Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

OT, the weather today is biblically awful. November is God’s punishment for something.

Whereabouts? It's okay in Brentwood which is where I am atm.
    November is a month with no redeeming qualities..dark nights that get darker and miserable weather...the worst month of the year
    The advantage of November is that it gets very dark, but the temperatures have not yet caught up, and so it's not too cold. Therefore ideal for star-watching.
    Ideal for star watching except it’s always cloudy.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    TimS said:

Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

OT, the weather today is biblically awful. November is God’s punishment for something.

Whereabouts? It's okay in Brentwood which is where I am atm.
    November is a month with no redeeming qualities..dark nights that get darker and miserable weather...the worst month of the year
    The advantage of November is that it gets very dark, but the temperatures have not yet caught up, and so it's not too cold. Therefore ideal for star-watching.
    Ideal for star watching except it’s always cloudy.
    Mind, there are a lot of shooting stars around the 5th, for some reason.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I contribute in @ScienceMagazine to the discussion of whether to leave Twitter: https://science.org/content/article/musk-reshapes-twitter-academics-ponder-taking-flight

Overall, I think the global Twitter community is a major knowledge hub, which showed its worth during the pandemic, and it is difficult to replace with current alternatives.

https://mobile.twitter.com/M_B_Petersen/status/1588793614528040960

This is true, I think.
    If you're following a lot if different science stuff, it's become an outstanding resource.
    That is now at risk from people abandoning the platform.

If there's not a replacement for the good things about Twitter, then it will presumably survive, but battered and disrupted for a time.

Musk never seems to worry about disruption, so I assume feels able to make gambles.
    Twitter is a bog wall.

Twitter is reminiscent of the H Block cell walls when Irish republican prisoners weren't allowed to wear their own clothes, and weren't allowed to leave their cells to go to the toilet if they weren't wearing any clothes at all.

Twitter is one of the clearest indications to any sentient person of just what an excremental epoch we live in.

Twitter is like having graffiti on your clothes and blowing your nose on your sleeve.

Twitter should be burnt and salt poured on its grave.

Is the Musk takeover part of the triumphant return of Trump to the WH?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Switched on GB News to find 2 Tory MPs presenting a show. Philip Davies and Esther McVey.

Do many Tory MP's do any actual MPing in between their proper jobs?
    Several MPS of all parties do TV jobs as well.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,931
    DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Observation. Iceland is full of young Chinese tourists. I’ve seen them across the country. They are obviously wealthy, with expensive winter clothes

I’ve been told they are generally “affluent Chinese students studying in the UK”

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it...

You've got older, so pretty young girls look prettier to you.
    If that was the case I would similarly fancy all the young British or American women here. I don’t

In which case it's fairly likely cosmetic surgery.
    Routine for the children of the affluent in several Asian countries.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmetic_surgery_in_China

If you watch much Asian TV drama, you'll see a very similar effect over the last decade.
    That’s fascinating, thanks

You could well be right. The wiki page even mentions students:

“Students make up the bulk of cosmetic surgery patients under 30 and estimates show that there are 20 million people in China who have had cosmetic surgery.[citation needed] In 2014 alone, over 7 million people, mostly young women, had cosmetic surgery, when the country’s cosmetic surgery industry was valued at RMB400 billion”

Cosmetic surgery would also chime with their obvious wealth

Somewhat related - one of the first things the female Chinese students do when they arrive in my neck of the woods is head off to the chemists to buy skin whitening creams. As I understand it they are either banned or restricted back home. Make yourself seem even more wealthy/elite/upper-class with pale skin.
    Thats a big thing in se asia too
    Whitenicious skin cream is consumed a lot in the USA too.

For many it's not so much about appearing rich or elite, but exploitation and encouragement no. 70345 relating to women's lack of confidence about their looks, this time with an underlying racial theme which is very unpleasant because if someone thinks beauty is more prevalent in one ethnic group than another then they are a narrow-minded idiot at best (and at worst an out-and-out racist). The marketing doesn't explicitly say "Look like a white woman". It says things like this will help you deal with your skin blemishes.

On a tangent: the country with highest prevalence of cosmetic surgery is surely Venezuela, where "beauty" competitions are like a national plague, rife all over the place, and from a young age too.
    As I understand it from speaking to some Thai women - it's not race, it's that the traditional upper-class stayed in the shade and had pale skin, where-as the poor worked in fields and so had darker/tanned skin.
  • Options
    Martin10Martin10 Posts: 142
    felix said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Switched on GB News to find 2 Tory MPs presenting a show. Philip Davies and Esther McVey.

Do many Tory MP's do any actual MPing in between their proper jobs?
    Several MPS of all parties do TV jobs as well.
    Althogh Hancocks allergies means he cant do bushtucker trials
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Why Twitter is worth $44bn

“Maybe Hitler got fucked up because his infancy was spent seeing various people in futuristic gear point a gun at him before going “no I can’t do it” and jumping into a portal”

https://twitter.com/jordbrookes/status/1588193975055310851?s=46&t=fHL7HgqXG7leatvhrzUvAA

I have to say I am wary of accusing the richest man in the world that he doesn't know what he is doing re making money, but he doesn't appear to re twitter.

I was also shocked to find out that twitter only had about 7000 employees (now about 3000).
    I think he might destroy it financially before he kills what makes the platform work. This approach to advertisers is just insane

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588538640401018880
    Twitter has had a massive drop in revenue, due to activist groups pressuring advertisers, even though nothing has changed with content moderation and we did everything we could to appease the activists.

Extremely messed up! They’re trying to destroy free speech in America.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588676939463946241
    Dear
    @elonmusk
    You have nearly 114,000,000 Twitter followers.

Name and shame the advertisers who are succumbing to the advertiser boycotts.

So we can counter-boycott them.

And get your $8 monthly subscription going asap.

So we can start to makeup for lost revenue now.

Thank you.

A thermonuclear name & shame is exactly what will happen if this continues.

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Observation. Iceland is full of young Chinese tourists. I’ve seen them across the country. They are obviously wealthy, with expensive winter clothes

I’ve been told they are generally “affluent Chinese students studying in the UK”

The young women are the most beautiful I have ever seen, as a group. More than 50% are stunning. There must be some genetic/evolutionary explanation but I’m still working on it...

If that was the case I would similarly fancy all the young British or American women here. I don’t

If you watch much Asian TV drama, you'll see a very similar effect over the last decade.

“Students make up the bulk of cosmetic surgery patients under 30 and estimates show that there are 20 million people in China who have had cosmetic surgery.[citation needed] In 2014 alone, over 7 million people, mostly young women, had cosmetic surgery, when the country’s cosmetic surgery industry was valued at RMB400 billion”

Somewhat related - one of the first things the female Chinese students do when they arrive in my neck of the woods is head off to the chemists to buy skin whitening creams. As I understand it they are either banned or restricted back home. Make yourself seem even more wealthy/elite/upper-class with pale skin.

For many it's not so much about appearing rich or elite, but exploitation and encouragement no. 70345 relating to women's lack of confidence about their looks, this time with an underlying racial theme which is very unpleasant because if someone thinks beauty is more prevalent in one ethnic group than another then they are a narrow-minded idiot at best (and at worst an out-and-out racist). The marketing doesn't explicitly say "Look like a white woman". It says things like this will help you deal with your skin blemishes.

On a tangent: the country with highest prevalence of cosmetic surgery is surely Venezuela, where "beauty" competitions are like a national plague, rife all over the place, and from a young age too.
    As I understand it from speaking to some Thai women - it's not race, it's that the traditional upper-class stayed in the shade and had pale skin, where-as the poor worked in fields and so had darker/tanned skin.
    As was the case in Europe in the Middle ages/Tudor times through to Edwardian times even. Fair skin was the sign of the rich and upper classes.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,203
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

“Maybe Hitler got fucked up because his infancy was spent seeing various people in futuristic gear point a gun at him before going “no I can’t do it” and jumping into a portal”

https://twitter.com/jordbrookes/status/1588193975055310851?s=46&t=fHL7HgqXG7leatvhrzUvAA

I have to say I am wary of accusing the richest man in the world that he doesn't know what he is doing re making money, but he doesn't appear to re twitter.

I was also shocked to find out that twitter only had about 7000 employees (now about 3000).
    I think he might destroy it financially before he kills what makes the platform work. This approach to advertisers is just insane

Twitter has had a massive drop in revenue, due to activist groups pressuring advertisers, even though nothing has changed with content moderation and we did everything we could to appease the activists.

Dear
    @elonmusk

Thank you.

Advertisers tend to come crawling back after controversies like this. Long term it depends on whether Twitter actually gets worse or not.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    ohnotnow said:

DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Same in the UK. Female farmworkers in Lowland Scotland and Northumberland wore bonnets and head dresses to help keep the sun off (and of course rain too). 'Bondagers' they were called, from the contract the male farmworker had (googling gets some distinctly un-sun-screeny dresses as well, so NSFW).
  • Options
    There's more.

https://mobile.twitter.com/karaswisher/status/1588667162654564352
    From ad tweep who knows: The drop off is mostly self inflicted. First: The CRO [@SEP] walked out Friday. She's trusted by the marketing community. So, Elon goes to meet agency heads in NY. The Twitter exec who runs the US walked him in and is a trusted partner at these agencies.

...He is fired at end of day. Those agencies start to pause/shift because everything feels uncertain and they don’t know who they should be coordinating with. Then, Elon gets dozens of advertiser CMOs on a call yesterday. It's amazing oppty.

And basically Elon is asked: What's the plan? And it's clear he hasn't either really prepped for this/doesn’t really want to tell anybody what the plan is/has no plan. No kidding: There were CMOs who literally paused/shifted budgets DURING the call because of the uncertainty.
  • Options
    David Icke has been banned from the EU now. The daily mail is now reporting he claimed the covid pandemic was the fault of the jews

https://twitter.com/garethicke/status/1588829915817734144?s=20&t=iuZWMDB_LGmnT0fNkRQWoA
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Leon said:

Bit disappointed to discover that all these exquisite Chinese girls have, in fact, just had a lot of work done

did you ask one?
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    kle4 said:

DJ41 said:

Yes it is a thing, and most people know it, and it's even more predominant than most people think it is.

We shall have to disagree to disagree. I think a small number of people are obsessed by class, and so see its tendrils reaching far wider than is now the case, being very self conscious about their own or others' supposed status.

I don't say there is nothing, but it is not the overwhelming thing some still seem to want it to be.
    I don't think it's overwhelming, but my guess is that as well as a few people for whom it looms very large, there's also a very large number of people for whom it's a subtle half-conscious thing that can affect initial instinctive reactions (as distinct from eventual considered actions). Humans notice ingroup-outgroup stuff, it's the way we're built, and English cultural groupings tend to have a historically class-based underpinning.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A group of people at a west London immigration removal centre caused "disturbance" on Saturday morning, the Home Office has claimed.

No one was injured during the incident at Harmondsworth detention centre near Heathrow Airport, but the power was still out just before 9am on Saturday, the department said.

The Home Office initially claimed that a "group of detainees left their rooms" and went into a courtyard area "armed with various weaponry", but later withdrew that claim.

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

These are people who have been ordered by a court to be detained, or who are in the asylum process but deemed to be a flight risk.

Do you believe that we should let them go on the grounds that they are prepared to used violence (and weapons) to achieve their objective? Do you believe that makes them more or less attractive to the UK as an immigrant?
    Why in the name of God would you deduce from my posting the story that I think any of that?

@IshmaelZ has been predicting civil unrest on the migration issue. I took “so it begins” to mean that
    No people are still too comfortable....old boomers like to moan but they wont do anything
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/05/dover-firebomb-attack-motivated-by-terrorist-ideology-police-say

66 year old firebombing suicide seems to present a problem for your thesis
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147

Mmkkmmkkk
    ohnotnow said:

DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It’s that, but it is definitely race as well

All the ads for skin whitening cream in Thailand use white European or pale Eurasian models. The racial aspect is blatant

Blonde hair, white skin and blue eyes are seen as exceptionally lovely due to rarity

There is also a racial envy of pale “hi-so” Thai women - ie rich high society Thai women of Chinese origin
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    FPT
    ping said:

“Over the past year, one in six UK adults has had a pressing need for medical examination or treatment and been unable to get access, with almost half of these cases due to the length of waiting lists”

https://www.ft.com/content/de8fc348-0025-4821-9ec5-d50b4bbacc8d

This just got personal for me today. I’ve got a very painful, infected wisdom tooth and my mouth has swelled up. Several rounds of antibiotics haven’t worked. My NHS dentist can’t operate because theres too much of a risk of nerve damage.

Referred to the hospital with the shortest waiting list:

18 months.

My dentist thinks there’s a private dentist who may be prepared to operate in six weeks’ time, at a cost of £110 for the initial consultation, £400-700 for the operation + potentially another £250 for scans.

I have no choice but to pay, do I?

I can’t be in pretty bad pain, with my mouth swollen up and an untreated infection for 18 months, can I?!!

The provision of emergency NHS dentistry has all but evaporated.

“You can’t trust the tories with the NHS” is proving true for millions, like me, across the UK. They deserve to be trounced at the next election.

The Tories deserve to be whupped to hell in the next election. They won't be, though. They will probably win it with a majority, perhaps an increased majority.

Immigration trumps health as a political issue BY A LONG WAY. Most voters are bigoted thickos. Large numbers will blame the blacks, Asians, Albanians, Muslims, and what the gutter press encourage them to believe is a culture of "let them all in and give them lots of free stuff", for practically EVERY problem to do with health, education, street crime, falling real wages, cuts in public services, housing, etc., and for their general mostly unarticulated feeling that they feel like sh*t most of the time.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sky News- breaking

So it begins

No people are still too comfortable....old boomers like to moan but they wont do anything
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/05/dover-firebomb-attack-motivated-by-terrorist-ideology-police-say

66 year old firebombing suicide seems to present a problem for your thesis
    Hardly representative...most boomers like a good moan but wont think about giving up their comforts...the politicians know this so pander a bit about immigration but ultimately the politicians know immigration is good for the uk
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Assuming $200k average pay - I suspect it’s higher - the layoffs will save about $800m per year. That’s a big dent in the company’s losses (around $1.3bn).

The unknown is whether the layoffs damage the revenue generating capability of the company
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,609
    DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

“Over the past year, one in six UK adults has had a pressing need for medical examination or treatment and been unable to get access, with almost half of these cases due to the length of waiting lists”

This just got personal for me today. I’ve got a very painful, infected wisdom tooth and my mouth has swelled up. Several rounds of antibiotics haven’t worked. My NHS dentist can’t operate because theres too much of a risk of nerve damage.

18 months.

My dentist thinks there’s a private dentist who may be prepared to operate in six weeks’ time, at a cost of £110 for the initial consultation, £400-700 for the operation + potentially another £250 for scans.

I can’t be in pretty bad pain, with my mouth swollen up and an untreated infection for 18 months, can I?!!

“You can’t trust the tories with the NHS” is proving true for millions, like me, across the UK. They deserve to be trounced at the next election.

The Tories deserve to be whupped to hell in the next election. They won't be, though. They will probably win it with a majority, perhaps an increased majority.

Immigration trumps health as a political issue BY A LONG WAY. Most voters are bigoted thickos. Large numbers will blame the blacks, Asians, Albanians, Muslims, and what the gutter press encourage them to believe is a culture of "let them all in and give them lots of free stuff", for practically EVERY problem to do with health, education, street crime, falling real wages, cuts in public services, housing, etc., and for their general mostly unarticulated feeling that they feel like sh*t most of the time.

The polling says otherwise.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

Tories to full on on hassling migrants now until the next election..mail will run the obligatory headlines
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    carnforth said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Dear
    @elonmusk

Thank you.

Advertisers tend to come crawling back after controversies like this. Long term it depends on whether Twitter actually gets worse or not.
    I don't know. Threatening to go thermonuclear on them is not normal business-speak.

It's probably a simple equation. Advertisers want to get their ads in front of many people as possible, preferably the 'right' people. They really, really do not want their ads served (or associated with) negative speech, especially hate speech.

If Twitter and Musk can guarantee that their ads will mostly appear in the 'right' places; they'll return. But I doubt whether Twitter will be able to guarantee it, if Musk turns it into a 'free speech' platform and reduces the number of staff manually checking, or altering the automated systems.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

Tories to full on on hassling migrants now until the next election..mail will run the obligatory headlines
    Yes.

And really hard for Labour to fight against. It would be even if the entire leadership had the will to.

I'm trying to work out what bet might be in order, given that I hold this view. Possibly a lay of Keir Starmer as next PM.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

kjh said:

Leon said:

Assuming $200k average pay - I suspect it’s higher - the layoffs will save about $800m per year. That’s a big dent in the company’s losses (around $1.3bn).

The unknown is whether the layoffs damage the revenue generating capability of the company
    Well we already know from Musk that ad revenues have taken a sharp hit.

His approach to engineering - develop quick, test and fail, and fail better - isn't going to work with an established social media business.
    If he's going to try to reinvent it from the ground up, he'd have been far better advised spending half of that $44 bn in setting up a completely new business.

I think he's made the mistake of thinking that that the 100m plus who follow him on Twitter also agree with him - as opposed to being interested in following what he does.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

Yes.

And really hard for Labour to fight against. It would be even if the entire leadership had the will to.

I'm trying to work out what bet might be in order, given that I hold this view. Possibly a lay of Keir Starmer as next PM.
    If we are still in recession, provided unemployment hasn't rocketed, most people will have concerns closer to home.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    edited November 2022
    Extract from guidance from DEFRA on seasoning firewood:

'for at least 12 months or 2 summers'

Now I don't know about anyone else but 2 Summers is always longer than 12 months unless you plan to fly your logs to Australia so that statement is stupid. One or other of the options is redundant and/or possibly wrong

Prats.

And why are they wasting time with this when there are a thousand web sites which tell you what to do and if you aren't going to read them you damn well aren't going to read any DEFRA literature are you.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

Yes.

If we are still in recession, provided unemployment hasn't rocketed, most people will have concerns closer to home.
    Also it will be difficult for an indian origin mp to go full on anti immigration
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I contribute in @ScienceMagazine to the discussion of whether to leave Twitter: https://science.org/content/article/musk-reshapes-twitter-academics-ponder-taking-flight

Overall, I think the global Twitter community is a major knowledge hub, which showed its worth during the pandemic, and it is difficult to replace with current alternatives.

This is true, I think.
    If you're following a lot if different science stuff, it's become an outstanding resource.

If there's not a replacement for the good things about Twitter, then it will presumably survive, but battered and disrupted for a time.

Musk never seems to worry about disruption, so I assume feels able to make gambles.
    Twitter is a bog wall.

Twitter is reminiscent of the H Block cell walls when Irish republican prisoners weren't allowed to wear their own clothes, and weren't allowed to leave their cells to go to the toilet if they weren't wearing any clothes at all.

Twitter is one of the clearest indications to any sentient person of just what an excremental epoch we live in.

Twitter is like having graffiti on your clothes and blowing your nose on your sleeve.

I can't see a Trump WH being very Tesla-friendly.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,609
    Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

Headlines that make the Tories appear impotent and incompetent. They “took back control”, they own this issue. They need to deliver solutions or stop talking about it!
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

IanB2 said:

DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

Yes.

Also it will be difficult for an indian origin mp to go full on anti immigration
    Err, have you met the HS?
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

Twitter lost a bit over $200 million last year. Does the deterioration include the new interest cost on Musk’s borrowing for the takeover ?
  • Options
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Am I the only person who doesn't know how to use Twitter?

Where is the home page?
    Where is the list of accounts that I am following?

I'm totally baffled.
  • Options

🐎 A BETTING POST

Last weeks four from me had a torrid time, but still no worse than the winless Cheltenham weekend that I fortunately didn’t share tips publicly. I’m out of form. 😧

But having watched Rogue Heroes this week - it’s only she who dares wins 🫡

1.01 Aintree
    Milan Bridge

1.15 Wincanton
    Hang In There - form and distance

1.50 Wincanton
    Cap Du Nord - longish shot to beat Frodon

2.11 Aintree
    Lifetime Ambition

Whenever I follow racing tips I lose (knowing nothing) so good luck but I won't be following you!
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    IanB2 said:

DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

Yes.

The clever move is to conflate the two (govt is spendng money on Albanians not me). Crack that and it's Springtime for Hitler.

ETA best wishes for your scan, hope it finds nothing it shouldn't.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

His approach to engineering - develop quick, test and fail, and fail better - isn't going to work with an established social media business.
    If he's going to try to reinvent it from the ground up, he'd have been far better advised spending half of that $44 bn in setting up a completely new business.

I think he's made the mistake of thinking that that the 100m plus who follow him on Twitter also agree with him - as opposed to being interested in following what he does.
    What I realised the other day is that you don't have to like Musk to acknowledge that SpaceX is better at throwing stuff into space on the top of rockets, or that Tesla manufacture some of the better electric vehicles.

Websites like twitter succeed because people choose to use them, and then network effects follow and make it better. If enough people start using a different website or platform, then other people will follow. Then twitter is as dead as something that rhymes with DieFace.

Twitter is primarily a public relations business and not a technology business. Musk has been terrible at PR - say with the Thai cave rescue petulance - but I'd still buy Starlink from him because the PR doesn't affect its utility.

Just waiting to see which platform the people I follow on twitter will jump to. Some of them are on Instagram already (which is annoying), but I don't see the OSINT crowd moving there.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,939
    DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

You don’t realise how bad the NHS is right now unless you actually need treatment. My youngest needed minor surgery this year. Impossible to even get an initial appointment for assessment: we tried going through our GP & there were no assessment appointments to be had within the mandated three months. The letter from the local NHS trust effectively said: “don’t call us, we’ll call you”. So we went to a local private clinic that operated within the week. The specialist there (who does a lot of NHS work) said he’d had patients that he had assessed as needing urgent treatment being told that they would not be seen for more than 12 months.

I think it’s a combination of problems, espeically staff leaving the NHS for a variety of reasons - post covid waiting lists og backup up treatment need, Covid related staff burnout, Brexit eliminating EU staff that have returned to the EU, relatively low pay for nurses compared to what you can earn on the high street. It all adds up.

I’m also seeing reports that private health care is struggling with staffing issues too though: This is not just an NHS problem. Perhaps inevitably the load falls hardest on the NHS itself though.

Replicate these issues across the population & you have a huge number of people who either can’t work right now & aren’t being treated, or who’s condition may get a lot worse & prevent them from working in the future. Failing to fix this is an act of economic self harm.
  • Options

Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

Headlines that make the Tories appear impotent and incompetent. They “took back control”, they own this issue. They need to deliver solutions or stop talking about it!
    Best not mention the various ways in which Brexit has made the situation worse, then?
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

If Musk inadvertently destroys Twitter he'll be doing all of us a favour.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Where is the home page?

I'm totally baffled.

Desktop, or the horrible mobile app?

On the former, Home is prominent in the left bar, and you find the list of people you're following by going to Profile, then clicking on"xxx Following" below the picture.

On the latter, it's anyone's guess.
  • Options

Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

It also gives Farage et al a way back into the game.

Not to win (m)any seats, but to scoop up a decisive number of votes in marginals, handing them to the Otherlot Party.

Therefore: best plan for the Conservatives is a boringly competent technocrat with decent funding. Who knows, they might even do some good.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    kjh said:

Now I don't know about anyone else but 2 Summers is always longer than 12 months unless you plan to fly your logs to Australia so that statement is stupid. One or other of the options is redundant and/or possibly wrong

Prats.

And why are they wasting time with this when there are a thousand web sites which tell you what to do and if you aren't going to read them you damn well aren't going to read any DEFRA literature are you.

Well, you obviously read it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Can we get him interested in the Daily Mail?
  • Options
    One of the more unremarked problems of the takeover is the way in which Musk has managed to use Twitter for essentially free marketing for his car business for years now. That was true genius stuff.
    It could be about to go into reverse.

This is a pretty good essay.

Welcome to Hell, Elon.
    https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28/23428132/elon-musk-twitter-acquisition-problems-speech-moderation
    … State governments are even less subtle: both Texas and Florida have passed speech regulations that overtly tell social media companies how to moderate, in open hostility to the First Amendment. Figuring out how to comply with these laws is not an engineering problem (not least because compliance might be impossible). It is a legal problem because these laws are blatantly unconstitutional, and the only appropriate response to them is to tell the government to shut up and go away. (A big problem here is that the courts are pretty stupid about the internet!) A challenge to these laws, partially funded by Twitter, is headed to the Supreme Court, which is the polar opposite of a predictable system: it is a group of uncool weirdos with lifetime appointments that can radically reshape American life however it wants.

You can’t deploy AI at this problem: you have to go out and defend the actual First Amendment against the bad laws in Texas and Florida, whose taxes you like and whose governors you seem pretty fond of. Are you ready for what that looks like? Are you ready to sit before Congress and politely decline to engage in their content capture sessions for hours on end? Are you ready to do any of this without the incredibly respected policy experts whose leader you first harassed and then fired? This is what you signed up for. It’s way more boring than rockets, cars, and rockets with cars on them.

And it gets worse the second you leave the United States! Germany is a huge market for Tesla. Are you going to flout Germany’s speech laws? I would bet not. The Indian government basically demands social media companies provide potential hostages in order to operate in that country; you can’t engineer your way out of that shit. Are you ready to experience the pressure Twitter faces in the Middle East to block and restrict accounts? Are you ready for the fact that the Iranian government will fucking murder people over their social media posts? (Are you ready for how Twitter is being used by Iranians protesting that government right now?) Are you excited for the Chinese government to find ways to threaten Tesla’s huge business in that country over content that appears on Twitter? Because it’s going to happen
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Dear
    @elonmusk

Thank you.

I'm caught between being quite pleased if Twitter fails and my contempt for the cancel groups (stop funding hate etc) who put pressure on advertisers and their utter spinelessness in standing up to them.
  • Options

Where is the home page?

I'm totally baffled.

Practice makes perfect.
    The home page is your own personal homepage; it is what you make it.
    The icons for homepage and accounts you followed aren’t that hard to find, though the interface is more than a bit rubbish.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

kjh said:

Prats.

Well, you obviously read it.
    I did because I was looking related stuff up which I can find in a thousand and one other sites so I didn't need the Government to produce the thousand and second site to give me the information I needed. And then print gibberish to boot, which none of the other sites did.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Balls.
    It’s extremely useful to a lot of people, even if you’re not one of them.
  • Options
    E-scooters are superb

One feels like a kind of futurist flaneur whizzing silently around Reykjavik

And the app allows you to log on, find the nearest one, get your first 15 mins free: off you go. Then just leave it where you step off

Genius. I appreciate this is not news to most but what a clever invention
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Your Twitter feed consists of the people you choose to follow. (Make sure to switch it to "latest" to keep it like this.)

If your feed is shitty, that's because of your shitty choices.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    Predictions of the demise of Twitter would be more credible if they weren't being made and shared on Twitter.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

It's interesting how people dwell on the negative aspects of Twitter. It's a bit like looking at people as a whole and saying "oh, they're just terrible, let's annihilate them in a flood and start again."

I have an enjoyable experience on Twitter interacting with far-flung friends, colleagues and casual acquaintances. I use its tools to let me block things I never want to see and quietly ignore people I don't want to offend but who are being a bit tedious. I don't really understand the visceral hatred, unless people are just viewing it as a "bad faith news outlet".
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

What I realised the other day is that you don't have to like Musk to acknowledge that SpaceX is better at throwing stuff into space on the top of rockets, or that Tesla manufacture some of the better electric vehicles.

Websites like twitter succeed because people choose to use them, and then network effects follow and make it better. If enough people start using a different website or platform, then other people will follow. Then twitter is as dead as something that rhymes with DieFace.

Twitter is primarily a public relations business and not a technology business. Musk has been terrible at PR - say with the Thai cave rescue petulance - but I'd still buy Starlink from him because the PR doesn't affect its utility.

Just waiting to see which platform the people I follow on twitter will jump to. Some of them are on Instagram already (which is annoying), but I don't see the OSINT crowd moving there.
    Insta is truly terrible. You can’t put links in the posts. There isn’t an iPad app. It’s absurdly bad. I presume this is because Zuckerberg deliberately crippled it as a potential rival to FB (then along came tik tok and the rest, anyway - so it was self defeating)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    edited November 2022
    Apparently the attack in Dover was the result of extreme 'right wing' ideology. Can we not come up with a better term than this?

Tim Jacques, senior national co-ordinator for counter terrorism policing, said: "After considering the evidence collected so far, whilst there are strong indications that mental health was likely a factor, I am satisfied that the suspect's actions were primarily driven by an extremist ideology.

"This meets the threshold for a terrorist incident."

Since when is terrorism defined as being a matter of extremist ideology? I thought it was about using violence or terrorising civilians to achieve political goals. Was a united Ireland an extremist ideology? No but those who used violence to try and bring it about were terrorists. Would we have considered IRA bombers non-terrorists if they had mental health problems? Wouldn't those with mental health problems be a fruitful category of individuals for the IRA to recruit from?

I actually think attacks like this would more sensibly be described as hate crimes. As would some of the lone wolf Islamist attacks that we see. People in a state of rage against any enemy but not planning the downfall of our political system. However the term hate crime now seems to be reserved for people insulting one another with words (whether it be acceptable or not). Since 9/11 it has definitely suited the securocrats to expand the definition of terrorism as it's a scary term that brings to mind an organised and capable group of people that sows fear into the public. The state is able to expand its powers on the basis of a growing threat of terrorism. Although what they mean by terrorism is now quite different to what we once understood it as being.
  • Options

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Essentially true.
    The problem with getting rid of content moderation, which seems to be the way Musk is leaning, is that it will greatly increase the noise to signal ratio.

• Options

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Dear
    @elonmusk

Thank you.

I'm caught between being quite pleased if Twitter fails and my contempt for the cancel groups (stop funding hate etc) who put pressure on advertisers and their utter spinelessness in standing up to them.
    Don’t you believe in the free market ?
  • Options

Martin10 said:

DJ41 said:

FPT

ping said:

18 months.

It also gives Farage et al a way back into the game.

Not to win (m)any seats, but to scoop up a decisive number of votes in marginals, handing them to the Otherlot Party.

Therefore: best plan for the Conservatives is a boringly competent technocrat with decent funding. Who knows, they might even do some good.
    Let’s not get carried away!
  • Options
    mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

It's interesting how people dwell on the negative aspects of Twitter. It's a bit like looking at people as a whole and saying "oh, they're just terrible, let's annihilate them in a flood and start again."

I have an enjoyable experience on Twitter interacting with far-flung friends, colleagues and casual acquaintances. I use its tools to let me block things I never want to see and quietly ignore people I don't want to offend but who are being a bit tedious. I don't really understand the visceral hatred, unless people are just viewing it as a "bad faith news outlet".
    You find things out on twitter way before it hits the msm
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Yesterday’s @thetimes /@YouGov polling found that many Leavers think Sunak is a Remainer, but most Remainers know he’s a Brexiteer.
    That’s a dangerous place to be ahead of any general election, when more people (green line) think in hindsight quitting the EU was a mistake. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1588846276560715777/photo/1

How can they think Sunak is a Remainer ? Further highlights that the Leave vote was made up by a lot of low information voters.
    'Remainer" no longer means someone who voted against Brexit, but now refers to someone unwilling to deny reality, or who likes facts, or who makes the mistake of listening to an 'expert'. Merely voting for Brexit isn't sufficient to remove the stain of remainery from someone who displays judgement and common sense in other aspects of their life.

Hence the bizarro situation where Truss (who campaigned for Remain and made decent points on the benefits for Britons being able to move freely across Europe) was seen as a better Leaver than Sunak (who campaigned for it before it was trendy).
    As the late Queen fabulously and uncomfortably said to a bunch of bankers, 'the experts' in these cases have tended to get their predictions wrong more than right. In the latest case of 'liking facts' we have portraying Truss and Kwarteng as mad for not aligning their budget with OBR forecasts - but the OBR forecasts have never been correct.
    That's just nonsense. Forecasts are never correct because the future is unpredictable by nature. Nobody has a crystal ball. Truss and Kwarteng were mad because they mistook this as allowing them to predict that 2 + 2 = 5.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Martin10 said:

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

And some of it turns out to be true as well.
  • Options
    Tucker Carlson stirringbthings up on fox news

What's happening here is a version of what's happening in Brazil right now. Instead of giving a speech about how his policies have made your life better, or making a pitch for your vote, Biden commanded you to accept the election results.

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1588256830647459840?s=20&t=6rZaLLTtJYVPq_WcDwRkLQ
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Essentially true.
    The problem with getting rid of content moderation, which seems to be the way Musk is leaning, is that it will greatly increase the noise to signal ratio.
    The block/mute function allows you to be your own content moderator.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Balls.
    Twitter is both of these things. It is a curse on society - the way it polarises debates, poisons politics, gets innocent people cancelled - and yet it is also a brilliant source of news, info, science, gossip, and a great way to share gossip, memes, jokes - worldwide

Musk correctly identified its huge value but underestimated its complexity of operation
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Insta is truly terrible. You can’t put links in the posts. There isn’t an iPad app. It’s absurdly bad. I presume this is because Zuckerberg deliberately crippled it as a potential rival to FB (then along came tik tok and the rest, anyway - so it was self defeating)
    It's the default communication tool of teenage girls (in my A-level tutoring experience) so you may wish to reconsider your stance. Lads use it too but with a garnishing of Discord.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Yes. If I had to choose one social network to survive out of facebook, twitter and instagram, it wouldn't be instagram.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

It's very good for dog photos
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

mwadams said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

For anyone actively involved in politics, it's a must. When I was a principal authority cllr I used it all the time.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    DJ41 said:

Martin10 said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Venezuela are world beaters in beauty pageants. As are The Phillipines, India, and the US. I am coming around to the idea that such pageants can be a good thing. The participants are encouraged to demonstrate charity work, career achievements or some other meaningful contribution to society, and also to behave pretty well. For me, that offers a greater societal benefit than the UK's influencer culture where the pinnacle is getting loads of followers and appearing on Love Island - which is just as shallow but without the positives. The UK owns one of the 'big' pageants, Miss World, which is good.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    mwadams said:

Speaking as somebody who basically doesn't use twitter but occasionally follows links to tweets posted here or on other sites -- I think that the twitter algorithm tends to push the negative aspects, for the usual reason that outrage drives engagement, and so that's a big part of most people's experience of it. I totally believe that you can curate your own feed to screen out most of that, but personally what I see of twitter tends to seem to be either the provoke-outrage-tweets being shared outside the twitterverse, or else a good post I'm interested in but whose replies when I scroll down a bit are garbage, or quite commonly what would be a good long form bit of opinion that's been cut into small pieces by the tweet format. Typically when I do follow links from other places into twitter I regret it, even if the original thing linked to was worthwhile.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

It's the default communication tool of teenage girls (in my A-level tutoring experience) so you may wish to reconsider your stance. Lads use it too but with a garnishing of Discord.
    AIUI Insta is seen as a bit UKIP by modern teens. They are on tiktok or that new selfie one from France

In the future every new generation will have its own new social medium. It’s kinda obvious really. Every generation wants to be different - and they don’t want to meet mum and dad online
  • Options

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Yesterday’s @thetimes /@YouGov polling found that many Leavers think Sunak is a Remainer, but most Remainers know he’s a Brexiteer.
    That’s a dangerous place to be ahead of any general election, when more people (green line) think in hindsight quitting the EU was a mistake. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1588846276560715777/photo/1

How can they think Sunak is a Remainer ? Further highlights that the Leave vote was made up by a lot of low information voters.
    'Remainer" no longer means someone who voted against Brexit, but now refers to someone unwilling to deny reality, or who likes facts, or who makes the mistake of listening to an 'expert'. Merely voting for Brexit isn't sufficient to remove the stain of remainery from someone who displays judgement and common sense in other aspects of their life.

Hence the bizarro situation where Truss (who campaigned for Remain and made decent points on the benefits for Britons being able to move freely across Europe) was seen as a better Leaver than Sunak (who campaigned for it before it was trendy).
    As the late Queen fabulously and uncomfortably said to a bunch of bankers, 'the experts' in these cases have tended to get their predictions wrong more than right. In the latest case of 'liking facts' we have portraying Truss and Kwarteng as mad for not aligning their budget with OBR forecasts - but the OBR forecasts have never been correct.
    Ridiculous.

With national debt as a percentage of GDP the highest it has been for 60 years, severe economic headwinds and the government committed to a very generous energy package, a completely new government coming up with a giveaway budget without producing the borrowing forecast figures was idiotic in the extreme.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

On those attractive Chinese women: I thought everyone knew about the MHC. If that isn't being taught in British schools, it should be.

The what now? Google suggest a part of the immune system.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Yes. If I had to choose one social network to survive out of facebook, twitter and instagram, it wouldn't be instagram.
    The lack of an insta iPad app is mystifying in particular. They claim it’s because “there isn’t enough demand” and “it’s a nice idea but we haven’t got the time and people to do it” which is clearly bullshit

So why? Zuckerberg seems to have an aversion to Apple. Perhaps he once had plans to make his own phones and tablets so this is a lingering legacy of that?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous.

With national debt as a percentage of GDP the highest it has been for 60 years, severe economic headwinds and the government committed to a very generous energy package, a completely new government coming up with a giveaway budget without producing the borrowing forecast figures was idiotic in the extreme.
    Afaicr there is no recent history of plugging any fiscal gaps successfully with tax rises. Instead the gaps have been plugged every time by growth exceeding forecasts. Sunak's prescription is the wrong cure, and is based on a faulty diagnosis.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Essentially true.
    The block/mute function allows you to be your own content moderator.
    I’m aware of that, as per my earlier comment.
    The likely problem is more that as the effort required to do so grows, the risk is people will leave the platform, and it starts to lose utility.

It’s not inevitable, but it is a risk. And what Twitter provides is not easy to replicate.
  • Options
    Have just caught this thread. So in Florida, if you don't vote for Ron you are voting for Satan?

That's what we need. "How would Jesus vote". So that the Trump hate mobs can start slaying libruls and claim it is God's will.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    IanB2 said:

Good thing we don't have any of that sort here...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Dear
    @elonmusk

Thank you.

Activist grouos are well funded by certain people....its not the free market
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    Substack 24. Britain has lost control of its borders and the liberal minority has lost touch with what much of the rest of the country are thinking
    And this will soon have a profound impact on our politics

mattgoodwin.substack.com
    9:30 AM · Nov 5, 2022"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1588826008236732416

Dont know whether hes deliberately stirring the pot there....concerns about immigration come and go...apparently the british were hopping mad about immigration in 2004 yet net migration has been over 300000 a year since...
    …always…

Try a better grammar school.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Ridiculous.

Afaicr there is no recent history of plugging any fiscal gaps successfully with tax rises. Instead the gaps have been plugged every time by growth exceeding forecasts. Sunak's prescription is the wrong cure, and is based on a faulty diagnosis.
    The Conservative government raised taxes in the early 90s. Next please.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    Nigelb said:

I think he might destroy it financially before he kills what makes the platform work.

We’d been planning on using the $1.3 million from Jeopardy to buy a house, but now I’m thinking maybe I’ll just hold on to it for a year or two and then use it to buy Twitter

https://twitter.com/Jeopardamy/status/1588700896896389121
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Dear
    @elonmusk

Thank you.

How is that different from advertising ? :smile:
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

The lack of an insta iPad app is mystifying in particular. They claim it’s because “there isn’t enough demand” and “it’s a nice idea but we haven’t got the time and people to do it” which is clearly bullshit

So why? Zuckerberg seems to have an aversion to Apple. Perhaps he once had plans to make his own phones and tablets so this is a lingering legacy of that?
    I have an Insta App on my iPad
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Because it will make it seriously uncool. I associate ipads with people in their 60s.

I have a theory that social media cannot support multiple generations: when my parents got fb and messenger, we all shifted to insta. I think some of the insta generation started having kids, and therefore tiktok was born.

(Spectator article in 3...2...1...)
  • Options

Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    Substack 24. Britain has lost control of its borders and the liberal minority has lost touch with what much of the rest of the country are thinking

mattgoodwin.substack.com

Dont know whether hes deliberately stirring the pot there....concerns about immigration come and go...apparently the british were hopping mad about immigration in 2004 yet net migration has been over 300000 a year since...
    …always…

... represents a smaller pause than a full stop but you would know that if you were educated better
  • Options
    Granted the story is from the Sun, but still…

UK and France were poised to sign historic £50m deal to put British officials on French beaches in bid to curb small boats crisis

But France pulled it after Truss refused to say if Macron was friend or foe...

https://twitter.com/NatashaC/status/1588666060965699584
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Have just caught this thread. So in Florida, if you don't vote for Ron you are voting for Satan?

That's what we need. "How would Jesus vote". So that the Trump hate mobs can start slaying libruls and claim it is God's will.

Jesus would waste the libtards with an AK47 if he was in the US today.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I have an Insta App on my iPad
    There is no official insta iPad app

https://www.makeuseof.com/no-instagram-app-for-ipad-explained/

What’s more, insta have deliberately made it hard for others to develop iPad apps for Instagram
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Dear
    @elonmusk

Thank you.

I'm in an activist group - please let me know where I obtain this funding. I would quite like a new gravel bike.
  • Options
    Interesting to see the police calling out do-gooders like this:

@MPSHomerton
    To the two members of the public who tried to obstruct us whilst we were dealing with a group of youths in Retreat place E9 tonight, shouting at us & accusing us of harassing the youths, if you tried to listen to us we may have been able to show you what we found.

https://twitter.com/MPSHomerton/status/1588679150528700416
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jesus would waste the libtards with an AK47 if he was in the US today.
    I think at heart is the argument what is the usa
    Is it a melting pot of unlimited immigration where anyone can come
    Or is it a mainly white christian country with some immigration but the whites stay in control.

Trump voters want the second america, democrats the first
  • Options
    Bear in mind pre the 1965 immigration act the USA was sedinitely a mainly white christian country with some immigration
    This is what Trump voters hark back to
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

AIUI Insta is seen as a bit UKIP by modern teens. They are on tiktok or that new selfie one from France

In the future every new generation will have its own new social medium. It’s kinda obvious really. Every generation wants to be different - and they don’t want to meet mum and dad online
    Creates a bit of an overhead for corporate bodies as they need to add a new social network to communicate with each new generation. Looks like the Met Office recently dropped supporting Snapchat, so they're down to six social networks now from a high of seven.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Martin10 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

mattgoodwin.substack.com

…always…

... represents a smaller pause than a full stop but you would know that if you were educated better
    It’s a very distinctive style, often seen in new posters, who then disappear very swiftly. If you are not one such, then I congratulate you on appearing as one for so long. What are your views on mRNA vaccines? And did you hear about the BA pilots?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Balls.
    It's ripping society apart and dividing and polarising us. Brings out the worst in people. Nasty platform.

Needs a fundamental redesign, or a format of its hard drive.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Balls.
    It's ripping society apart and dividing and polarising us. Brings out the worst in people. Nasty platform.

Utter nonsense.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

pb is the only social media you really need. When will the young people understand this?
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Bear in mind pre the 1965 immigration act the USA was sedinitely a mainly white christian country with some immigration
    This is what Trump voters hark back to

Especially the Hispanic ones. Can't wait to get back to a White America. That Herschel Walker chap is the same.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

DJ41 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

This is true, I think.

Twitter is a bog wall.

Balls.

Utter nonsense.
    Indeed.

It doesn't need a fundamental redesign, it needs nuking from orbit.

Just to be sure.
This discussion has been closed.