Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why hypothetical polling is bobbins – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RobCLRobCL Posts: 23
    Dura_Ace said:

RobCL said:

Brands is not a cheap circuit if you make a mistake.

I think it's my favourite UK circuit for car trackdays but they rarely do them on the full GP circuit. I've seen loads of people bin their shit at Sheene. That unsighted uphill approach just draws you in, upsets brake balance and the tightening radius finishes the job off. It's very different from the modern Tilkedromes.
    Have you tried Knockhill? Hilariously good fun including full air but the barriers are a bit further away.

• Options
    Wow. If Boris is struggling with the Red Wall...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    Jonathan said:

All rumours need to be taken with a pinch of salt. The only thing that’s certain is that this is no way to run a country.

Chill, it's only a weekend they are dicking around with.

We'll be back with grown-ups in control by Tuesday.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

The Scottish Nationalists like to make a lot of the voting intention differences between England and Scotland to argue that Scotland is politically distinct from England, that therefore there isn't a unified political demos, and so Scotland needs to be independent.

The issue with the age-divide in voting intention is that this divide is so large, that those aged 65+ are clearly inhabiting a different political world to the rest of the country. Even after all that has happened over the last year, they would still vote for a Tory government over a Labour one. It suggests that Britain (or England & Wales if you prefer), is deeply divided among itself, arguably we no longer have a unified political demos, and this internal division will make tackling our problems much more difficult. Most likely the country is not even united over what the problems are.

A certain amount of division and dissent is healthy, and too much consensus is a bad thing, but there has to be some common ground to make progress. Until this divide is reduced I think it is going to act as a barrier to reform, whether from the left or the right.

So the weirdly capitalised 'Scottish Nationalists' are right then?
    I make no judgement in that comment whether the ScotNats are right (the capitalisation seems fairly standard to me), but I'm playing with the idea of it being a framework with which to think about the political divisions in Britain today.

Arguably the age division is the source of the divide in Scotland too, just that it has expressed itself slightly differently to England. The latest YouGov had the SNP lead Labour 45-31 overall, but behind 34-36 among over-65s.

Resolving the age divide across Britain might resolve the question of Scottish independence, one way or another, much more clearly than the current stalemate.
    Nationalist is not a proper noun therefore you are wrong to capitalise it.
    It is part of their party

name, so it is as correct to capitalise it as it is to capitalise Labour or Conservative, or Labourite,

etc.
    Nope, it’s the Scottish National Party and you were talking about people who supported independence for Scotland, not the party - at least that was the clear implication from your post

You wouldn't say "Scottish Nationals" though would you? You say "Scottish Nationalists".

I don't see why this is such a bone of contention.
    Because it has F all to do with the political party and you made a right tit of yourself by not even knowing the party name , getting it totally wrong and then conflating it with Independence supporters.
    I know perfectly well what the name of the SNP is.
    To be fair, I didn't. I thought it was 'Scottish Nationalist' because that's what everyone calls them, even though it's apparently not their official name.

I think it's irrelevant though. People call Plaid Cymru 'Nationalists' and that isn't even remotely part of their name (or for the matter of that their policy offering)!
    Stop digging Australia beckons
    You'll roo the day you said that.

Edit - incidentally, on a point of punctuation, there should be a comma between 'digging' and 'Australia.'
    Possumly
    Too many wallaby punners here....
    Wordplay is often used by spies to hide their messages.

So if you're good enough at puns and treacherous enough, there are opportunities in the Russian Secret Service.

That's right. You can GRU.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,945
    "Why isn't Jacob telling Laura that my shirt is tucked in? Tell her about the shirt, Jacob!" https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1584105505680949249/photo/1

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited October 2022
    Could this be a tie?

Now I've said that it won't be, of course!

That was a filthy ball. Fully deserved a no ball. What pressure can do!

And Babar is about to get himself a one match ban if he goes on like this.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Six. And a no ball!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,668
    edited October 2022
    Nad mad, or just desperate?

If Rishi Sunak were to win, the focus of the privileges committee I am absolutely certain would move straight onto Rishi Sunak and what he knew - in order to embolden Labours call for a general election. With Rishi we will be in general election territory within weeks.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1584096059621797888

Erm…The Privileges Committee is limited by the resolution of the Commons passed on 21st April. It doesn’t mention Rishi Sunak once. It refers to 4 statements from Johnson, and will consider whether those quotes were misleading, and whether he failed to correct the record when.

https://twitter.com/craigprescott/status/1584116870508339200
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It is incredible that Johnson's ego is so big he'd risk the destruction of the Conservative Party.

It is incredible no surprise at all that Johnson's ego is so big he'd risk the destruction of the Conservative Party.
    I'm hoping a lot of my fellow Conservatives are realising what a deeply unpleasant and morally bankrupt individual he is.
    Everyone does in the end.

Quite a few people clearly have reached their conversion point in the last few days. I hope it's enough.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Where is the artist formerly known as Boris anyway?
    Has he publicly said anything at all?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    edited October 2022
    RobCL said:

kjh said:

OT I was at the Formula Ford festival yesterday mainly watching from just passed Paddock Hill bend, because I was with a team and spent quite a bit of time in the paddock. The team had 2 cars running. The son of the owners was one of the drivers. He collided with another car just after the bend and went off harmlessly and rejoined. Later in another heat someone else wasn't as lucky. I would have thought it impossible to survive the crash, but the driver walked away. There was nothing left of the car when the recovery truck passed us. How he walked away I have no idea. It was sickening.

I was watching the faces of the parents. Don't let your sons and daughters race cars. It is not worth it.

On a lighter note I know the sponsor of a rally car. They were told that C4 was covering a rally and would be using a helicopter so they put a great big logo on the roof. The car got a huge amount of coverage from the helicopter. However he didn't have the foresight to put a logo on the underside of the car.

Got sent the video of that crash yesterday. Lucky he hit the wall with the underside of his car and not the top. However he did walk away and even if the car was in pieces it did it’s job.

His mum was apparently very upset all the same.

I saw it from the side (as opposed from behind in the video) as I was at the catch fencing about 50 metres further down. It looked far worse than the video in real time.

What my brain tells me I saw (which may be completely wrong) was that he hit the wall with the top of the car (that looks like I am wrong, but it is hard to be sure). I was with someone else and we both thought he must be dead. There was nothing to extract him from. If you look on the internet at the remains on the truck you can see what is left of the car. It is not recognisable as a car at all. All wheels came off as did the front and rear axles. There is no front to the car at all There doesn't even seem to be cockpit in front of the roll bar to extract him from so I don't understand how he didn't have broken legs at least. The biggest bit of car is an engine attached to a roll bar and some small bits of carbon fibre.

PS I have just read a report of the crash. He did hit the barrier top first then went up into the catch fencing.
  • Options
    Three off being bowled.
    Never seen that before.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Oh my goodness. Wheels coming off here.

You've got to feel a bit sorry for the bowler.

And even when he bowls them he gets taken for runs - well, byes!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    It is curious how Sunak got away with being fined.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Useless from Pakistan.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Useless from Pakistan.

@DavidL and I clearly put the 'fluence on them.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,611

Andy_JS said:

It is incredible that Johnson's ego is so big he'd risk the destruction of the Conservative Party.

It is incredible no surprise at all that Johnson's ego is so big he'd risk the destruction of the Conservative Party.
    I'm hoping a lot of my fellow Conservatives are realising what a deeply unpleasant and morally bankrupt individual he is.
    They’ve had at least 27 years to come to this realisation.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Jonathan, didn't pay much attention to the story at the time but the version I heard was essentially that he walked into a room and there was a cake being served.

In short, entirely accidental, and quite different to what Boris Johnson allegedly got up to.
  • Options
    Oh Lord! What drama!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

He probably shouldn't have got away with it, but I think there was a feeling that with him (a) it was a one-off (b) it wasn't altogether his fault (c) he hadn't hypocritically been spending the previous year telling us all to stay away from others (d) he didn't weasel, evade, lie and joke about it.

Johnson, however...
  • Options
    Stumped. 2 needed off one ball.
  • Options
    Mordaunt > Sunak > Truss > Herpes > Johnson
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

I thought Shapps was reported yesterday as a Johnson supporter?

We need someone who can provide stability and proven economic competence in these challenging times, and @RishiSunak is that person. That's why I'm backing him in the Conservative leadership contest

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1584127509997981696

I thought that too.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,810
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

I think because it looked a minor offense and most people don’t think of him as the partying type . He also doesn’t have a history of being a pathological liar .
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,189

If Rishi Sunak were to win, the focus of the privileges committee I am absolutely certain would move straight onto Rishi Sunak and what he knew - in order to embolden Labours call for a general election. With Rishi we will be in general election territory within weeks.

Erm…The Privileges Committee is limited by the resolution of the Commons passed on 21st April. It doesn’t mention Rishi Sunak once. It refers to 4 statements from Johnson, and will consider whether those quotes were misleading, and whether he failed to correct the record when.

Dreadful, isn't it. Just a totally toxic mendacious ignoramus contribution. Can nobody stop her saying things like this in public? Ok, "free speech" bla bla, all very fine and dandy, but there comes a point and it's surely getting close to it with some people.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Useless from Pakistan.

@DavidL and I clearly put the 'fluence on them.
    And now I've done it to India.

The ICC should pay me to commentate!

Edit - please let this be a tie! For lols!
  • Options
    So much for Dan Hodges telling us last night that Johnson was about to back Rishi.!
  • Options

If Mad Nads is getting bent all out of shape about the Committee of Privileges, then I read that as being what is killing off Boris.

And quite rightly. It may all be based on gossip and innuendo - or it may be informed leaks from members of the Committee. But either ways round, I suspect there is plenty of chatter that Boris is at high risk of not being PM for long. So MPs will vote accordingly.
  • Options
    RobCLRobCL Posts: 23
    kjh said:

RobCL said:

kjh said:

OT I was at the Formula Ford festival yesterday mainly watching from just passed Paddock Hill bend, because I was with a team and spent quite a bit of time in the paddock. The team had 2 cars running. The son of the owners was one of the drivers. He collided with another car just after the bend and went off harmlessly and rejoined. Later in another heat someone else wasn't as lucky. I would have thought it impossible to survive the crash, but the driver walked away. There was nothing left of the car when the recovery truck passed us. How he walked away I have no idea. It was sickening.

I was watching the faces of the parents. Don't let your sons and daughters race cars. It is not worth it.

On a lighter note I know the sponsor of a rally car. They were told that C4 was covering a rally and would be using a helicopter so they put a great big logo on the roof. The car got a huge amount of coverage from the helicopter. However he didn't have the foresight to put a logo on the underside of the car.

Got sent the video of that crash yesterday. Lucky he hit the wall with the underside of his car and not the top. However he did walk away and even if the car was in pieces it did it’s job.

I saw it from the side (as opposed from behind in the video) as I was at the catch fencing about 50 metres further down. It looked far worse than the video in real time.

What my brain tells me I saw (which may be completely wrong) was that he hit the wall with the top of the car (that looks like I am wrong, but it is hard to be sure). I was with someone else and we both thought he must be dead. There was nothing to extract him from. If you look on the internet at the remains on the truck you can see what is left of the car. It is not recognisable as a car at all. All wheels came off as did the front and rear axles. There is no front to the car at all There doesn't even seem to be cockpit in front of the roll bar to extract him from so I don't understand how he didn't have broken legs at least. The biggest bit of car is an engine attached to a roll bar and some small bits of carbon fibre.
    Was definitely the underside of the car.

Suspect that they will need to rethink that fence and corner as that is where the marshal got hit and died last year.

Still reckon motorsport is safer for your kids than horse riding but I’m sure someone will have some stats at hand to prove me wrong.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    ydoethur said:

Could this be a tie?

This is one of the most incredible overs in the history of cricket.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Incredible last over collapse by Pakistan. 11 off the 4th ball was decisive.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dreadful, isn't it. Just a totally toxic mendacious ignoramus contribution. Can nobody stop her saying things like this in public? Ok, "free speech" bla bla, all very fine and dandy, but there comes a point and it's surely getting close to it with some people.
    Perhaps Sunak doesn’t have a majority.
  • Options
    Well, that was not dull.

And @DavidL and I have still got it!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

"Why isn't Jacob telling Laura that my shirt is tucked in? Tell her about the shirt, Jacob!" https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1584105505680949249/photo/1

What is with all these photos that make him look drunk, ill or half asleep - or a mix of all three?

I mean do you look at that and think “that’s my great hope, right there”?

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Heathener said:

If the rumour is true that Penny Mordaunt is doing a deal with Boris then we really are entering a horrendous situation.

All sensible people need to pray that Boris doesn't make it to 100.

Not a rumour I have heard....
    She categorically denied it to Laura K this morning. one of the few things she was unequivocal about.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2022
    Being able to run when bowled on a free hit delivery seems wrong. Surely the ball should be dead when that happens.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

MaxPB said:

I think as we get closer to the deadline more and more Boris supporters will start begging for votes from colleagues and we'll get editorials insisting that members be allowed to have their say and what an outrage it would be if MPs acted in a manner contrary to that by not giving Boris enough votes.

The Times tracker has Boris on 55, he's been stuck around that number since Friday evening. If the needle doesn't move today I fully expect JRM and Nadine to have pieces tomorrow morning calling the 100 threshold a fix for Rishi and lashing out at MPs for not giving Boris enough support.

The 100 is a fix for Rishi, one I wholeheartedly support!
    Hardly an unreasonable bar to put before someone wanting to lead the party and country, tho

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Well, that was not dull.

9 runs off illegal deliveries in the last over. I am not feeling too sore about this one. One of Kohli's greatest innings.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Herpes will be sad to come that low in the ranking.

• Options

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

The Scottish Nationalists like to make a lot of the voting intention differences between England and Scotland to argue that Scotland is politically distinct from England, that therefore there isn't a unified political demos, and so Scotland needs to be independent.

The issue with the age-divide in voting intention is that this divide is so large, that those aged 65+ are clearly inhabiting a different political world to the rest of the country. Even after all that has happened over the last year, they would still vote for a Tory government over a Labour one. It suggests that Britain (or England & Wales if you prefer), is deeply divided among itself, arguably we no longer have a unified political demos, and this internal division will make tackling our problems much more difficult. Most likely the country is not even united over what the problems are.

A certain amount of division and dissent is healthy, and too much consensus is a bad thing, but there has to be some common ground to make progress. Until this divide is reduced I think it is going to act as a barrier to reform, whether from the left or the right.

I make no judgement in that comment whether the ScotNats are right (the capitalisation seems fairly standard to me), but I'm playing with the idea of it being a framework with which to think about the political divisions in Britain today.

Arguably the age division is the source of the divide in Scotland too, just that it has expressed itself slightly differently to England. The latest YouGov had the SNP lead Labour 45-31 overall, but behind 34-36 among over-65s.

Resolving the age divide across Britain might resolve the question of Scottish independence, one way or another, much more clearly than the current stalemate.

name, so it is as correct to capitalise it as it is to capitalise Labour or Conservative, or Labourite,

etc.
    Nope, it’s the Scottish National Party and you were talking about people who supported independence for Scotland, not the party - at least that was the clear implication from your post

You wouldn't say "Scottish Nationals" though would you? You say "Scottish Nationalists".

Because it has F all to do with the political party and you made a right tit of yourself by not even knowing the party name , getting it totally wrong and then conflating it with Independence supporters.
    To be fair, I didn't. I thought it was 'Scottish Nationalist' because that's what everyone calls them, even though it's apparently not their official name.

I think it's irrelevant though. People call Plaid Cymru 'Nationalists' and that isn't even remotely part of their name (or for the matter of that their policy offering)!
    Stop digging Australia beckons
    You'll roo the day you said that.

Edit - incidentally, on a point of punctuation, there should be a comma between 'digging' and 'Australia.'
    Possumly
    Too many wallaby punners here....
    Wordplay is often used by spies to hide their messages.

So if you're good enough at puns and treacherous enough, there are opportunities in the Russian Secret Service.

That's right. You can GRU.
    My finest effort was at the start of the MPs expenses scandal, specifically the Tory chap who tried to claim for a lakeside residence for his waterfowl.

I reckoned doing that was not going to be a duck-billed party plus.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
    In terms of MPs this is turning into a rout. Where are the 100 Boris backers. When are we going to se them.

Several people have been insistent the names are already there. Will look very dumb if not.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,999
    'China's leader Xi Jinping has moved into a historic third term in power, as he revealed a new leadership team stacked with loyalists.

On Sunday the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) unveiled its Politburo Standing Committee, with Mr Xi re-elected as general secretary.

Observers say the line-up, handpicked by Mr Xi, shows he prizes loyalty over expertise and experience.'

Sounds like he did not take much notice of how Liz picking her Cabinet on the same basis turned out for her
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

Who's going to be the first to crassly suggest he's a bit short?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Jonathan said:

Herpes sticks around, at least Truss was gone in 40 days.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Could this be a tie?

This is one of the most incredible overs in the history of cricket.
    They'll be celebrating on the streets of Leicester.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Being able to run when bowled on a free hit delivery seems wrong. Surely the ball should be dead when that happens.

Consider this.
    If you are run out by a direct hit on a free hit, can you then run overthrows?
  • Options
    It could be that the privileges committee hanging over the clown is what saves the country .

• Options
    HYUFD said:

'China's leader Xi Jinping has moved into a historic third term in power, as he revealed a new leadership team stacked with loyalists.

On Sunday the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) unveiled its Politburo Standing Committee, with Mr Xi re-elected as general secretary.

Observers say the line-up, handpicked by Mr Xi, shows he prizes loyalty over expertise and experience.'

Sounds like he did not take much notice of how Liz picking her Cabinet on the same basis turned out for her
    If he's out in 6 weeks in favour of somebody sane that would not be the worst result.
  • Options
    RobCL said:

kjh said:

RobCL said:

kjh said:

Suspect that they will need to rethink that fence and corner as that is where the marshal got hit and died last year.

Still reckon motorsport is safer for your kids than horse riding but I’m sure someone will have some stats at hand to prove me wrong.

See link re picture of car afterwards and report. They seem to agree with me that it was the top of the car and that was what I thought I saw looking from the side which is the best view (but of course just a split second). I agree looking at the video it looks otherwise, but it isn't 100% clear and the report agrees with me.

Re horse riding - I have only done it once. Never again and I agree.

https://formulascout.com/two-drivers-escape-horror-crash-at-formula-ford-festival/100149
  • Options
    Quite the put down

The election of a political leader is rarely best of choices but the least worse alternative. Facing reality in the Conservative Party at this time and where the election is on the rules of the 1922 Committee my first choice is @RishiSunak and second choice a general election…

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/1584151300669050881

I agree. If they put Johnson back in they shouldn’t be in government
  • Options
    kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
    In terms of MPs this is turning into a rout. Where are the 100 Boris backers. When are we going to se them.

Several people have been insistent the names are already there. Will look very dumb if not.
    Given who they are they look very dumb anyway, because they are very dumb.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    Michelle Donelan backs Rishi. Another cabinet minister
  • Options

Fuck off Boris.

Just fuck off.

And please take the rest of the stinking edifice with you.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Forecasts for the half of my mortgage that is up for renewal in December? 😬
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Well, that was not dull.

9 runs off illegal deliveries in the last over. I am not feeling too sore about this one. One of Kohli's greatest innings.
    I'm delighted. Look at the drama we conjured.

The ICC should pay us to do commentary on all the big matches. Not only would it lead to extraordinary twists and turns but think how many would tune in to laugh at us as one prediction after another went wrong.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

Who's going to be the first to crassly suggest he's a bit short?
    That’s beneath you. I expect a higher bar. Hopefully someone will standup and we can escape this limbo.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

What is with all these photos that make him look drunk, ill or half asleep - or a mix of all three?

I'm sure he's tired, but they could pick a different photo!
  • Options

Wow Johnson originally put her in the cabinet .
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Of 50 days standing. And 2 different posts.

Of his generation though. 2015 generation coming in.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kjh said:

RobCL said:

kjh said:

RobCL said:

kjh said:

See link re picture of car afterwards and report. They seem to agree with me that it was the top of the car and that was what I thought I saw looking from the side which is the best view (but of course just a split second). I agree looking at the video it looks otherwise, but it isn't 100% clear and the report agrees with me.

https://formulascout.com/two-drivers-escape-horror-crash-at-formula-ford-festival/100149
    Actually, riding horses is approx 20x as dangerous as wussish scaredy cat activities like motorbiking. Hurrah!

If you got scared shitless first time out, something wasn't right though.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Wow Johnson originally put her in the cabinet .
    For one day. When he was starved for choice as everybody and their dog was quitting.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    edited October 2022
    kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m

f they're there, it's very odd that the MPs are unwilling to confirm it, even under conditions of anonymity. What's the advantage to Boris of making it look as though he has much less support, and even as though he won't get nominated?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm sure he's tired, but they could pick a different photo!
    Probably that was by far the best one. 😱
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m

f they're there, it's very odd that the MPs are unwilling to confirm it, even under conditions of anonymity. What's the advantage to Boris of making it look as though he has much less support, and even as though he won't get nominated?
    To prevent a Penny/Rishi deal I guess...
    Occam's Razor suggests they are lying.
    No change there then.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    Backing up Francis here: the ‘rule’ that you can run despite being bowled on a free hit is completely stupid. Should be a dot. I watch tons of cricket and never realised that was the case. Feel sorry for Pakistan - but they will surely bounce back from this.
  • Options

The nation has the chance this week to rejoice at being rid of two disastrous appointments.

1. The Prime Minister

2. Dr. Who

I blame Chris Chibnall more than Jodie Whittaker, but he’s going too.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Lunchtime endorsements update

Rishi Sunak: 144 (+18 today)
    Boris Johnson: 61 (+3)
    Penny Mordaunt: 26 (+1)

231 / 357 MPs (65%) have endorsed a candidate.

Tracker: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTPHIxWEtUUU23wUrqKemUBfGKxZMWZwHKeyUAATiyd4ohSmtnr0eZ4fdqF_ivzk3kfe7aFsEvuBXVW/pubhtml

https://twitter.com/patrickjfl/status/1584147229345869824

Based on the demographics of the remaining MPs, Rishi Sunak is now on course for over *200* nominations.
  • Options

The nation has the chance this week to rejoice at being rid of two disastrous appointments.

1. The Prime Minister

2. Dr. Who

She wasn’t so bad, it was the scriptwriter that sucked. I hear going back to a previous lead is part of the strategy to turn it around.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m

No change there then.
    Why would a Penny/Rishi deal make any difference if Johnson reaches 100 nominations?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    edited October 2022

Jonathan said:

In order to get herpes, you usually have to have enjoyed the experience. Is that true of any of the others?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Scott_xP said:

Its why you shouldn't have kids and travel via cattle class :-)
  • Options

Tracker: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTPHIxWEtUUU23wUrqKemUBfGKxZMWZwHKeyUAATiyd4ohSmtnr0eZ4fdqF_ivzk3kfe7aFsEvuBXVW/pubhtml

Mordaunt is rather wasting everyone's time here. Surely there is no way she is going to make 100 now.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m

No change there then.
    Why would a Penny/Rishi deal make any difference if Johnson reaches 100 nominations?
    I guess because they need to be kept guessing till the latest moment possible?
    As I said. I don't believe it.
  • Options

Backing up Francis here: the ‘rule’ that you can run despite being bowled on a free hit is completely stupid. Should be a dot. I watch tons of cricket and never realised that was the case. Feel sorry for Pakistan - but they will surely bounce back from this.

Well, its not done their net run rate much damage.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

kjh said:

RobCL said:

kjh said:

RobCL said:

kjh said:

Actually, riding horses is approx 20x as dangerous as wussish scaredy cat activities like motorbiking. Hurrah!

If you got scared shitless first time out, something wasn't right though.
    Not scared shitless. In fact not scared at all, but didn't like the fact that my fate was to some extent in the hands (or hooves) of something else with a brain with whom I had limited communication.

Glad I did it as I have several funny stories re my incompetence as a result.

I have done many dangerous activities. Most are entirely within my control or otherwise. Some do rely on the skill of others I trust. None rely on anything that can't speak.

PS Just realised that last sentence is nonsense.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Mordaunt is rather wasting everyone's time here. Surely there is no way she is going to make 100 now.
    She isn't though. How many of her 26 would go to Bozo if she quit?
    We can't know that. But it could be the difference.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    Jonathan said:

1. The Prime Minister

2. Dr. Who

She wasn’t so bad, it was the scriptwriter that sucked. I hear going back to a previous lead is part of the strategy to turn it around.
    They both sucked. Miscast actress and appalling showrunner.
  • Options
    Former government whip @JamesMorris tells me current events are beyond a Thick of It script. He’s supporting @RishiSunak for leader.👇🏻 https://twitter.com/bbcmtd/status/1584138639923347456
  • Options
    Have been ringing cllrs and activists this weekend and I'm endorsing @RishiSunak for PM. We need to stabilise the economy & unite the party and country.

I'm sad @KemiBadenoch not standing, and have lots of respect for Boris too - I just think on balance now is not the time.

https://twitter.com/NeilDotObrien/status/1584157262033358849
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Jonathan said:

1. The Prime Minister

2. Dr. Who

They both sucked. Miscast actress and appalling showrunner.
    Are we talking about Dr Who or Liz Truss and the ERG / Tory membership?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Mr Hunt could seek to reform generous capital gains rules and bring them more into line with general taxation, bringing in around £3.5 billion a year.

The Chancellor could also revisit the plan to increase stamp duty thresholds, the only other measure to survive from the mini-Budget - finding £2 billion.

One move, as called for by Labour, would be to abolish non-dom status. That would bring in an extra £3 billion a year to the Exchequer.

There are also a raft of wealth taxes Mr Hunt may look at, such as a council tax surcharge on properties worth over £2 million that would raise £1.4 billion.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/22/jeremy-hunts-halloween-budget-could-hit-high-earners-20bn-tax/

We might as well have a Labour government, as we getting Labour policies.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    DavidL said:

Not necessarily if she is stopping Bozo from being on 77 or so?
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Not necessarily if she is stopping Bozo from being on 77 or so?
    She could also benefit if Boris dropped out - and then told his people to vote for her to get over 100, then asked the members to vote for her.

Depends how caustic the meeting between Boris and Rishi was last night.

I wouldn't be laying the hell out of her just yet.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997
    RobCL said:

Dura_Ace said:

RobCL said:

I think it's my favourite UK circuit for car trackdays but they rarely do them on the full GP circuit. I've seen loads of people bin their shit at Sheene. That unsighted uphill approach just draws you in, upsets brake balance and the tightening radius finishes the job off. It's very different from the modern Tilkedromes.
    Have you tried Knockhill? Hilariously good fun including full air but the barriers are a bit further away.

Done it on a bike and loved it but it seemed very low grip and it's a long way...
  • Options
    Nightmare options being looked at to fill £40bn black hole in public finances:

1. Freeze defence spending for 5 years, jacking up to 3% towards end of decade

2. Extend freeze on income tax thresholds - a stealth tax - to 2027-28

3. Drop pensions triple lock from 2025

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1584103710040690691
  • Options

One move, as called for by Labour, would be to abolish non-dom status. That would bring in an extra £3 billion a year to the Exchequer.

Does that rather assume that non-Doms say “fair enough, I’ll stay and pay” rather than “Foxtrot Oscar, I’m off”?

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,379

We could go further than saying 'Hypothetical polling is bobbins' and remove the word hypothetical.

Polling outside of the six weeks before a General Election (or other major voting event) is bobbins.

The Conservatives won't get 15% in the next General Election.
    They wouldn't have got that even if Truss has fought on.

Everyone in Bootle hates the Labour party and will never vote for them again.... except on General Election day.

The problem with that argument is the instances of wipe outs of major parties at elections. See Canada.

Starmer could do better than Blair, because, even though the extreme left had control of Labour more recently, they have been so utterly routed. In addition. New Labour accustomed people to consider a Labour Government as a Social Democrat government.

As Blair (and Cameron) saw, such a government is, without party prejudices, probably supported by 60%+ of the voting population.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997
    DavidL said:

This is her last chance. The next leadership contest will be in opposition and there is no way she is going to figure in it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Nightmare options being looked at to fill £40bn black hole in public finances:

1. Freeze defence spending for 5 years, jacking up to 3% towards end of decade

2. Extend freeze on income tax thresholds - a stealth tax - to 2027-28

3. Drop pensions triple lock from 2025

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1584103710040690691

While uncomfortable I don’t think any of those are a “nightmare” per se.
  • Options
    "A Russian military plane crashed into a residential building in the Siberian city of Irkutsk on Sunday, the region's governor said, the second such crash in less than a week."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/10/23/ukraine-news-russia-war-kherson-latest-dnipro-kyiv/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

etc.

It is only their name in the minds of jingoists. The Tories are called arseholes but no-one calls tehm the arsehole Conservative party.
    I think you'll find...
  • Options
    Hearing James Cleverly, the foreign secretary, is likely to endorse Boris Johnson - announcement expected this afternoon

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1584159535446441984

Pity, reports were he got off to a good start..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

But if she pulls out some if her supporters may go to Johnson, and perhaps she doesn't want that to happen.
This discussion has been closed.