Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why hypothetical polling is bobbins – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    HYUFD said:

The Scottish Nationalists like to make a lot of the voting intention differences between England and Scotland to argue that Scotland is politically distinct from England, that therefore there isn't a unified political demos, and so Scotland needs to be independent.

The issue with the age-divide in voting intention is that this divide is so large, that those aged 65+ are clearly inhabiting a different political world to the rest of the country. Even after all that has happened over the last year, they would still vote for a Tory government over a Labour one. It suggests that Britain (or England & Wales if you prefer), is deeply divided among itself, arguably we no longer have a unified political demos, and this internal division will make tackling our problems much more difficult. Most likely the country is not even united over what the problems are.

A certain amount of division and dissent is healthy, and too much consensus is a bad thing, but there has to be some common ground to make progress. Until this divide is reduced I think it is going to act as a barrier to reform, whether from the left or the right.

Why? Under 25s even voted Labour in 1987, 2010 and 2019 too.

The fact over 65s almost always vote Conservative, only time they didn't in recent decades was 1997 and under 25s almost always vote Labour, last time they didn't was 1983, just shows they are the Conservative and Labour base respectively.

It does not mean the country is irreparably divided as it is still 30 to 65 year olds who are the swing voters who decide elections, not the oldest or youngest voters.
    You are looking at the divide in categorical terms only, not at the magnitude of the difference.

The situation of the young supporting Labour by 40-35 and the old supporting the Tories by 40-35, is very different to the young supporting Labour by 70-5 and the old supporting the Tories by 70-5, even though the two situations as the same by the way you look at them. The magnitude of the difference is more significant than the direction.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    20m
    Given the decisions that have to be taken on spending, there is simply no way the Government continues to function if the Tory party elects a Prime Minister who does not enjoy overwhelming support from Tory MPs. I suspect it would mean an election in weeks, if not days.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    Bell/Price joined the Truss government so my sense he is a wiser tipster than politician
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

i always assumed that Rishi really was 'ambushed by cake' whereas Johnson was the central cause and inspiration of the law-breaking culture at No 10. That along with the corruption, the lying and the shielding of sexual offenders don't incline me to be generous to Johnson.

Talking to local Cons I find -

They want Johnson back
    Many will not vote for a Con Party led by Rishi
    They don't understand that any Johnson come-back would be mired in allegations from Day One and probably wouldn't last too long.
    Several thought Truss was treated very unfairly and was stabbed in the back by Rishi.

Purely anecdotal but the Cons had better get on their knees and pray that Johnson doesn't get to 100. If he does the clock may well be ticking on the whole party

WTF is this continual “stabbed in the back” nonsense ?
    1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.
    But in this case it’s utter mince. Sunak warned of the consequences of Truss’s policies before she won. Both he and his supporters were almost entirely excluded from her administration, which then experienced the predicted disaster.
    Whether he owed any loyalty to her is questionable; even if he did, to suggest any kind if ‘betrayal’ plums the depths of absurdity.

These people are just mad.
    That the stabbing was justified, due to Sunak and his supporters being 'excluded from the administration' is debatable. Professing confusion that anyone is alleging stabbing at all is amnesia.
    I see you’re one of the mad ones on this.
  • Options
    Labour apparently have no HQ at moment.

Not ideal for a GE within weeks thanks to Johnson.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited October 2022
    Heathener said:

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

Since yesterday - two Truss and two Sunak - to Sunak's tally helps him.

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

Where are the other 60-ish going? Can you make your forecast of the full 370?
    The forecast uses votes from the last 2 last time (Sunak/Truss).

59 MPs did not express a public view last time, so the model assumes similar this time.

The extrapolation would be@

Sunak 194
    Boris 126
    Mordaunt 36

But that would be rather unsound, for various reasons. For one, that is 357, which I assume excludes Brady and some MPs without the Whip. But it appears to be Guido's total figure, which I assume is accurate.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    edited October 2022

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

It looks as though Boris Johnson intends to go for this. The only hope left for this once great party, and in the short term for the country as well, is that he fails to make it to 100.

If he does cross the threshold then I'm afraid that all hell is about to break loose.

Not necessarily. Still a scenario where he gets the 100 but the members back Rishi IMHO.

A scenario.

But the members are an ornery bunch who have rejected Rishi for Liz Truss (Liz Truss!!!! Remember her?) and will likely reject him again for Boris.
    Rishi’s “toxicity” with the membership is oft overplayed.
    Do you have evidence to back that? Not an antagonistic question, I'm genuinely interested to know on what solid factual grounds you can state it?
    He outperformed his polling vs Truss.
    Might not that have more to do with at least some members realising that Truss was going to be awful?

If it does come down to Sunak vs Johnson then even in the short time available I suspect Rishi's alleged toxicity will be well and truly stoked by Boris' supporters. They are convinced that it is he who stabbed their king.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

i always assumed that Rishi really was 'ambushed by cake' whereas Johnson was the central cause and inspiration of the law-breaking culture at No 10. That along with the corruption, the lying and the shielding of sexual offenders don't incline me to be generous to Johnson.

They want Johnson back
    They don't understand that any Johnson come-back would be mired in allegations from Day One and probably wouldn't last too long.
    Several thought Truss was treated very unfairly and was stabbed in the back by Rishi.

Purely anecdotal but the Cons had better get on their knees and pray that Johnson doesn't get to 100. If he does the clock may well be ticking on the whole party

1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.
    But in this case it’s utter mince. Sunak warned of the consequences of Truss’s policies before she won. Both he and his supporters were almost entirely excluded from her administration, which then experienced the predicted disaster.
    Whether he owed any loyalty to her is questionable; even if he did, to suggest any kind if ‘betrayal’ plums the depths of absurdity.

That the stabbing was justified, due to Sunak and his supporters being 'excluded from the administration' is debatable. Professing confusion that anyone is alleging stabbing at all is amnesia.
    Great riposte.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Heathener said:

It looks as though Boris Johnson intends to go for this. The only hope left for this once great party, and in the short term for the country as well, is that he fails to make it to 100.

If he does cross the threshold then I'm afraid that all hell is about to break loose.

Not necessarily. Still a scenario where he gets the 100 but the members back Rishi IMHO.

A scenario.

But the members are an ornery bunch who have rejected Rishi for Liz Truss (Liz Truss!!!! Remember her?) and will likely reject him again for Boris.
    I am not so sure. He will have overwhelming backing from the MPs and there will be a desire to cause less chaos.

It will be a close run thing IMHO. Rishi’s “toxicity” with the membership is oft overplayed.
    Many MPs think if it goes to the members, Boris is back as PM.

As the "stop the membership having a say candidate", Rishi is mopping up plenty of those who might otherwise have gone to Penny Mordaunt. But if it goes to the members, they will know why all those MPs rallied round him.

And reject him. Again.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    We’re heading toward an extinction level conservative event if Boris stands.

I just cannot comprehend how MPs in significant positions of power can re endorse Johnson. We head straight into more scandal from day one - and they actively welcome it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited October 2022
    Eabhal said:

If a general election was held tomorrow, the SNP would lose seats to Labour across the central belt.

The last thing the SNP wants is a Labour government at Westminster

https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/1584110392673898496

The fear is palpable in the latest posts from Stuart Dickson.
    There is definitely concern in the SNP, see the analysis of their conference speechs.

OTOH, any losses to Labour would be more than offset by gains from the Tories in Moray, Aberdeenshire and the borders. And I don't think the SNP are that bothered by actually losing seats - it's whether they get over that magic 50% in votes mark (SNP + Greens). They can then claim they have a rock solid case for Indyref2
    On latest Scotland only Westminster polls SNP and Green combined are only on 45%.

Scottish Labour, Scottish Conservatives and Scottish LDs are on 51% combined

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1582053921916301320?s=20&t=CqM2vLNHnrASQhTLqThYEg
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Jonathan said:

Rishi standing on his economic record. Oh dear. Truss pressed the button, but Rishi laid most of the charges.

Egged on by Labour.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    edited October 2022
    I would walk 20 miles to vote against Bozo at the next GE . What his supporters seem to ignore is that the ceiling for Sunak is higher because he’s not loathed like Johnson .

Johnson had the perfect set up in 2019, Corbyn and Brexit . Without that he’s not winning a GE .
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    According to Guido
    Sunak 140 (135named)
    Johnson 76 (60 named)
    Mordaunt 28 (25 named)

Target is 101 (includes the candidate so with only 113 (though 21 on the spreadsheet are anonymous) left looking that Mordaunt will not get to 100 if Boris actually stands.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They want Johnson back

1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.

Great riposte.
    Let me explain again for you, then.
    Helping boot out a disastrous PM who had run the government into the ground, in exactly the way you predicted beforehand, might be described metaphorically as wielding the knife.
    Calling it a “stab in the back” is both inaccurate and grotesque.

You should be ashamed to defend such nonsense.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Pro_Rata said:

Sunak declares

The United Kingdom is a great country but we face a profound economic crisis.

That’s why I am standing to be Leader of the Conservative Party and your next Prime Minister.

I want to fix our economy, unite our Party and deliver for our country.

https://twitter.com/rishisunak/status/1584114970723512321

The longer version promising "integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level of government" amongst other things makes it a good initial pitch
    Although I’d have put “deliver for our country” ahead of “unite our party” in his 3 part list.
    The country an afterthought to the Tory Party?
    Whatever next?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited October 2022

I just cannot comprehend how MPs in significant positions of power can re endorse Johnson. We head straight into more scandal from day one - and they actively welcome it?

36% of the vote on that JL Partners poll with Boris is not an 'extinction level event' it is what Cameron got in 2010.

Truss was leading the Tories to less than 20% of the vote and an 'extinction level event' neither Boris nor Rishi would be, both get well over 30% on the JL poll
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Heathener said:

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

59 MPs did not express a public view last time, so the model assumes similar this time.

Sunak 194
    Boris 126
    Mordaunt 36

But that would be rather unsound, for various reasons. For one, that is 357, which I assume excludes Brady and some MPs without the Whip. But it appears to be Guido's total figure, which I assume is accurate.
    There's no necessity for an MP to nominate anyone. The first vote is separate from the noms process.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

There are 357 I think.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I think there is another factor in Sunak's favour re: membership "vote". If Johnson makes the threshold and insists on a vote then the markets might react extremely unfavourably, immediately. Something to make members pause for thought before sending in their emails...
  • Options

Heathener said:

A scenario.

I am not so sure. He will have overwhelming backing from the MPs and there will be a desire to cause less chaos.

It will be a close run thing IMHO. Rishi’s “toxicity” with the membership is oft overplayed.
    Many MPs think if it goes to the members, Boris is back as PM.

As the "stop the membership having a say candidate", Rishi is mopping up plenty of those who might otherwise have gone to Penny Mordaunt. But if it goes to the members, they will know why all those MPs rallied round him.

And reject him. Again.
    If Johnson wins this the conservative party will cease as a viable political construct leaving very many of us politically homeless
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Go listen to that Charles Walker interview again?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    Not too bad at the last knockings for Pakistan; Indian need 160 to win. Should be able to do it but it's still more than they might have expected to face.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

A scenario.

Rishi’s “toxicity” with the membership is oft overplayed.
    Do you have evidence to back that? Not an antagonistic question, I'm genuinely interested to know on what solid factual grounds you can state it?
    He outperformed his polling vs Truss.
    Might not that have more to do with at least some members realising that Truss was going to be awful?

If it does come down to Sunak vs Johnson then even in the short time available I suspect Rishi's alleged toxicity will be well and truly stoked by Boris' supporters. They are convinced that it is he who stabbed their king.
    In which case they are voting for a split in the Tory Party and likely an immediate GE. And the chaos of the investigations into Boris.

I am quite prepared to say they may do it. I don’t have a lot of faith in Tory members. But if they do they are essentially voting to destroy their party as a serious party of government. So it’s up to them. But I have a little bit more faith than the view that a Boris victory is inevitable.
  • Options
    Norman, Cox and Villiers come out for Rishi (so says Guido)
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

Sunak 194
    Boris 126
    Mordaunt 36

There's no necessity for an MP to nominate anyone. The first vote is separate from the noms process.
    Sorry Ian, that's the point. I'm not forecasting the vote, I'm forecasting nominations. Heathener asked for what would effectively be a first vote projection (since turnout is ~100%). This is obviously fine, but it's really not what the model is doing.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329
    I don't see any need to panic.

Like I said, the market is hypersensitive to anything vaguely positive for Johnson.
  • Options

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    ·
    6m
    I’m backing Boris. He got the big calls right, whether it was ordering more vaccines ahead of more waves of covid, arming 🇺🇦 early against the advice of some, or stepping down for the sake of unity. But now, Britain needs him back. We need to unite to deliver on our manifesto 1/2
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    When I was Chancellor, I saw a preview of what Boris 2.0 would look like. He was contrite & honest about his mistakes. He’d learned from those mistakes how he could run No10 & the country better.
    With a unified team behind him, he is the one to lead us to victory & prosperity 2/2

Conclusion: Zahawi is an idiot.
    He has not exactly made a compelling case to be kept in the next Cabinet, has he?

For a while I thought he was smarter than this.

For a while.
    Zahawi is a bit of a puzzle. Sometimes he seems very sensible, and he was excellent in the vaccine job, but sometimes he seems to be a Grade A twerp.

Today is one of the latter cases.
    "This is not sustainable and it will only get worse: for you, for the Conservative Party and most importantly of all the country. You must do the right thing and go now" - Nadhim Zahawi, July 2022.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    edited October 2022

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

I keep asking this but I haven't seen a reply.

Guido is giving Boris a total of 75, but only 59 are nameable, because - he says - the others have positions that means they must remain "publicly neutral", though they have a vote.

Obviously in relation to the nominations the question is - if they have to remain "publicly neutral", can they nominate a candidate?

Because if they can't, then a naive extrapolation of current support to nominations will leave him well short of 100, whether on Guido's numbers or the BBC's.

Does anyone know the answer to this? Because without an answer, all the speculation is no more than hot air.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Zahawi is a parasitic organism that feeds off BoZo

He has been a major suckup supporter since the referendum
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898

I missed it - did others see it?

Penny Mordaunt having a car crash on @bbclaurak right now. Refusing to answer straightforward questions on what she stands for and won’t even repeat her call from 2 weeks ago that benefits should rise with inflation.

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1584096765548298241

Hunt will be the actual 1st Lord of the Treasury whoever is PM - if they keep him in post as they will have to.
  • Options

Like I said, the market is hypersensitive to anything vaguely positive for Johnson.

Boris has only had 4 more stick their head above the parapet for him in the past 24 hours.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They want Johnson back

1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.

Great riposte.
    Helping boot out a disastrous PM who had run the government into the ground, in exactly the way you predicted beforehand, might be described metaphorically as wielding the knife.

I'm sorry you seem to be so upset about this. Stabbing in the back is a perfectly apt metaphor for what happened to Truss, given that the briefing against her was relentless and anonymous. If you prefer to call it 'helping to boot someone out', that's fine by me; the two mean very much the same.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    alex_ said:

I think there is another factor in Sunak's favour re: membership "vote". If Johnson makes the threshold and insists on a vote then the markets might react extremely unfavourably, immediately. Something to make members pause for thought before sending in their emails...

I doubt it, the old fools are impervious to this. They'll blame it on some international conspiracy and put their votes on for Boris as an act of rebellion against these unnamed conspirators. A steady diet of the Mail and Telegraph telling them they are right and the world is wrong had addled their brains.
  • Options
    Chris said:

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

Guido is giving Boris a total of 75, but only 59 are nameable, because - he says - the others have positions that means they must remain "publicly neutral", though they have a vote.

Obviously in relation to the nominations the question is - if they have to remain "publicly neutral", can they nominate a candidate?

Because if they can't, then a naive extrapolation of current support to nominations will leave him well short of 100, whether on Guido's numbers or the BBC's.

Does anyone know the answer to this? Because without an answer, all the speculation is no more than hot air.
    They could privately nominate.
    AIUI all nominations except proposer and seconder are secret.
  • Options
    Chris said:

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

I think only the first two nominees are publicly named. The unnamed can form the balance of 98.

Is my understanding.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

The bond market? Or the betting market?
  • Options

Boris has only had 4 more stick their head above the parapet for him in the past 24 hours.

Geoffrey Cox, Theresa Villiers, Lord Frost, Kemi Badenoch and Steve Baker are all going for Sunak.

The ERG are very split on this. The most sensible ones have smelt the coffee.

He'd be getting all their support 3 years ago.
  • Options

The bond market? Or the betting market?
    Latter.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    dixiedean said:

Chris said:

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

They could privately nominate.
    AIUI all nominations except proposer and seconder are secret.
    Makes sense.

Kemi Badenoch, Nadhim Zahawi, Jeremy Hunt and Suella Braverman all made it last time on the basis of unknown backers.
    Incidentally my forecast ignores the anons, because it needs a name to match against the previous vote list.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

Chris said:

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

I think only the first two nominees are publicly named. The unnamed can form the balance of 98.

Is my understanding.
    Understanding based on what, though? Anything you can quote? Or just a vague impression?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Zahawi is a parasitic organism that feeds off BoZo

He has been a major suckup supporter since the referendum

My reading of Zahawi is that he's a sensible enough business administrator but a terrible judge of politics.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Presented without comment

Richard is not too bright it seems
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

36% of the vote on that JL Partners poll with Boris is not an 'extinction level event' it is what Cameron got in 2010.

Truss was leading the Tories to less than 20% of the vote and an 'extinction level event' neither Boris nor Rishi would be, both get well over 30% on the JL poll
    If you think 36% holds when a large majority of MPs won’t be supporting him, then you are placing too much faith in polls.

There is not a chance that a party that chooses Johnson - against many of the warnings and the looming investigation against him - retains 36%
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Andy_JS said:

Johnson supporters seem to be assuming that if it goes to the members he wins. I'm not sure. Sunak got 43% last time so doesn't need much of a swing to be elected.

That was against not Boris.
  • Options
    An example of what having an industrial policy looks like in a country and economy of similar (slightly smaller) size to the UK.
    Chances of similar developments here are slim to none.

Samsung SDI seeks to lead battery biz with new cathode plant
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2022/10/129_338408.html
    Samsung SDI boosted its capability in the electric vehicle (EV) battery business by completing the construction of a joint-venture cathode factory in Pohang, North Gyeongsang Province, the company said Friday.

Samsung SDI said EcoPro EM, a joint venture between the company and battery material maker EcoPro BM, held a ceremony marking the completion of their CAM7 plant in the southeastern port city.

The CAM7 plant is able to produce 54,000 tons of cathodes a year, which ranks it at No. 1 globally. Cathode is a key material for EV batteries and accounts for about 40 percent of battery production costs.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

If a general election was held tomorrow, the SNP would lose seats to Labour across the central belt.

The last thing the SNP wants is a Labour government at Westminster

https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/1584110392673898496

The fear is palpable in the latest posts from Stuart Dickson.
    There is definitely concern in the SNP, see the analysis of their conference speechs.

OTOH, any losses to Labour would be more than offset by gains from the Tories in Moray, Aberdeenshire and the borders. And I don't think the SNP are that bothered by actually losing seats - it's whether they get over that magic 50% in votes mark (SNP + Greens). They can then claim they have a rock solid case for Indyref2
    What chance people holding their noses and voting for the backstabbing Labour losers.
  • Options

Geoffrey Cox, Theresa Villiers, Lord Frost, Kemi Badenoch and Steve Baker are all going for Sunak.

I wouldn't have had Lord Frost on the sensible side of such a divide within the ERG. So I find it notable that he's come out in support of Sunak, instead of Johnson.
  • Options
    Source very close to Boris Johnson texts to say that even if Sunak wins with MPs by a real margin, he will “trust the members” to make the right decision
    https://twitter.com/lukemcgee/status/1584116413756715008

If he can't be World King he is determined to take the Tory Party down with him.
  • Options
    Brexiteers who've backed Rishi in last 24hrs

Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers
    Steve Baker
    Kemi Badenoch
    Steve Baker
    Lord Frost
    David Davis
    Steve Barclay
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

alex_ said:

I doubt it, the old fools are impervious to this. They'll blame it on some international conspiracy and put their votes on for Boris as an act of rebellion against these unnamed conspirators. A steady diet of the Mail and Telegraph telling them they are right and the world is wrong had addled their brains.
    You don't need a conspiracy of your own. Look at Bank of England polling - a large proportion of the population believe rising rates are good for them personally. If you're a Conservative member it's disproportionately likely you have no mortgage, cash savings, and children/grandchildren you will be helping with a large deposit.

5% savings rates and a house price crash? Yes please!
  • Options
    Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    17m
    This is Bennism, Tony Bennism, from the Tory party chairman of all people. Extraordinary to see. More evidence they are destined to split. The populist, crazy Johnson wing now needs its own party.
  • Options

The Scottish Nationalists like to make a lot of the voting intention differences between England and Scotland to argue that Scotland is politically distinct from England, that therefore there isn't a unified political demos, and so Scotland needs to be independent.

The issue with the age-divide in voting intention is that this divide is so large, that those aged 65+ are clearly inhabiting a different political world to the rest of the country. Even after all that has happened over the last year, they would still vote for a Tory government over a Labour one. It suggests that Britain (or England & Wales if you prefer), is deeply divided among itself, arguably we no longer have a unified political demos, and this internal division will make tackling our problems much more difficult. Most likely the country is not even united over what the problems are.

A certain amount of division and dissent is healthy, and too much consensus is a bad thing, but there has to be some common ground to make progress. Until this divide is reduced I think it is going to act as a barrier to reform, whether from the left or the right.

Well we have few Scottish parties to vote for , the majority are corrupt sub regional London party sockpuppets. Leaves you the weird mental cases the Greens, the SNP who are run by a mafia or a few very samall independence parties. Horrible choices all round.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They want Johnson back

1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.

Great riposte.

I'm sorry you seem to be so upset about this. Stabbing in the back is a perfectly apt metaphor for what happened to Truss, given that the briefing against her was relentless and anonymous. If you prefer to call it 'helping to boot someone out', that's fine by me; the two mean very much the same.
    Truss booted herself out with that moronic budget. You can deny it all you like but you simply lack the understanding of how gilt markets operate to realise how terrible it was and just how close the UK was to economic ruin.
    I was not a fan of the mini budget, or of Kwarteng, and I am on the record as questioning his apointment long before any mini budget was mooted. That said, as we've discussed before, the biggest part of the 'moronic' budget's cost comprised the energy price freeze, which no other stakeholders in the debate before or since have proposed to do anything about. The opposition to it focused almost solely on the tax cut for high earners - it was dishonest and political in nature; it had bugger all to do with avoiding economic ruin.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Pro_Rata said:

Sunak declares

The United Kingdom is a great country but we face a profound economic crisis.

That’s why I am standing to be Leader of the Conservative Party and your next Prime Minister.

I want to fix our economy, unite our Party and deliver for our country.

https://twitter.com/rishisunak/status/1584114970723512321

The longer version promising "integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level of government" amongst other things makes it a good initial pitch
    Not with Tory members and 100 of their MPs.

Brady should have set the level at 180 - only someone with a majority to get nominated!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Only to get Brexit over the line. The low taxation/small state ERGers are not natural Johnson bedfellows otherwise. I think this is misunderstood.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Source very close to Boris Johnson texts to say that even if Sunak wins with MPs by a real margin, he will “trust the members” to make the right decision

If he can't be World King he is determined to take the Tory Party down with him.

These briefings mean nothing today, he's running no matter what until... he's not running.
  • Options
    The Conservative Party can claim to be Europe’s leaders in defenestration.

Now they’re considering a new manoeuvre: refenestration. Finding the old guy, pulling him back in through the window and putting him back on the throne. It won't work

My take:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/22/no-cheerleader-rishi-will-new-boris-different-old-one/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It will be all over in weeks as tresignations and the privileges committee take him down and it is just shocking he and his supporters cannot see that they are in the process of destroying the conservative party
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    Scott_xP said:

That’s really patronizing and arrogant . The right decision !
  • Options

Jonathan said:

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    ·
    6m
    I’m backing Boris. He got the big calls right, whether it was ordering more vaccines ahead of more waves of covid, arming 🇺🇦 early against the advice of some, or stepping down for the sake of unity. But now, Britain needs him back. We need to unite to deliver on our manifesto 1/2
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    When I was Chancellor, I saw a preview of what Boris 2.0 would look like. He was contrite & honest about his mistakes. He’d learned from those mistakes how he could run No10 & the country better.
    With a unified team behind him, he is the one to lead us to victory & prosperity 2/2

Conclusion: Zahawi is an idiot.
    He has not exactly made a compelling case to be kept in the next Cabinet, has he?

For a while I thought he was smarter than this.

For a while.
    Are you still backing Penny? Does she still have a chance?
    Her only remote chance is if Boris does not run but endorses her. Still not sure that would be enough to bring her back in the game.

I'll be happy to see her in a big job where (hopefully) she can shine and be a part of the sales pitch for a new "quietly getting on with job" pragmatic government under Rishi.
    in a big jobbie more like, a fake talentless grifter.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The latest YouGov, which has the Tories on 19%, still sees them with a lead in the 65+ age group.

What has happened to that age group?

you make it sound like they are WRONG - its a bit arrogant - there is no right or wrong way to vote
    The thing is, the Tories are a chaotic mess, a mess of unprecedented proportions in British political history. They've lost the confidence of the markets, and they are nearly 40 points behind with the country as a whole - so why does that age group still think the Tories are best-placed to run the country?

This is not a small difference. It demands an explanation.
    The explanation is that young people have almost always preferred Labour to the Tories and elderly voters have almost always preferred the Tories to Labour, and that hasn't changed. 1987 was an exception when young people preferred the Conservatives.
    People keep saying that - and it is certainly true that there has always been a gradient from younger to old on Tory preference over Labour - but for some reason, glossing over the magnitude of the recent shift and huge steepening of the gradient.

Con lead over Lab per age group, vice Mori, since 1987 (earliest election with consistently comparable age groups):

Should not be forgotten Blair won over 65s in 1997
    Yes, he did.
    But he did it by lifting the entire line upwards. Not by altering the steepness of the slope.
    Every election up until the last three had a similar such pattern. Sometimes a little steeper; sometimes a little less, sometimes with a kink in it - but each of these were by a handful of points.

This was overlain on the overall vote share - moving up or down as the country voted lefter or righter (so as to speak), but with the slope the same shape.

That's changed. The Tories need to get the younger to head right far faster as they age in order to stay in the same place. Maybe it's possible; maybe it's not. My feeling is that anyone who pronounces authoritatively on whether or not to expect it is talking their own book.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They want Johnson back

1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.

Great riposte.

Truss booted herself out with that moronic budget. You can deny it all you like but you simply lack the understanding of how gilt markets operate to realise how terrible it was and just how close the UK was to economic ruin.
    I was not a fan of the mini budget, or of Kwarteng, and I am on the record as questioning his apointment long before any mini budget was mooted. That said, as we've discussed before, the biggest part of the 'moronic' budget's cost comprised the energy price freeze, which no other stakeholders in the debate before or since have proposed to do anything about. The opposition to it focused almost solely on the tax cut for high earners - it was dishonest and political in nature; it had bugger all to do with avoiding economic ruin.
    The energy price freeze was already known about before the minibudget, and was delimited to two years. In itself it would not have been enough to trigger market panic.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

Patronising? Arrogant? Boris Johnson? I will refuse to hear you say such things !
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It will be all over in weeks as tresignations and the privileges committee take him down and it is just shocking he and his supporters cannot see that they are in the process of destroying the conservative party
    Absolutely this. There’s no stability from this point onwards - and I have no idea why Johnson backers somehow think all is forgiven and people will fail in behind him
  • Options
    Chris said:

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

Suspect they want guarantee he has 100 names guaranteed and will stand, be slimy cabinet and payroll members who don't want to be turfed off the gravy train in event he does not go ahead.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Scott_xP said:

If this is the line they push and if he does follow through on insisting to take it to the members then we really are ALL in trouble.

Anyone else starting to get a bad feeling about this?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The latest YouGov, which has the Tories on 19%, still sees them with a lead in the 65+ age group.

you make it sound like they are WRONG - its a bit arrogant - there is no right or wrong way to vote
    The thing is, the Tories are a chaotic mess, a mess of unprecedented proportions in British political history. They've lost the confidence of the markets, and they are nearly 40 points behind with the country as a whole - so why does that age group still think the Tories are best-placed to run the country?

The explanation is that young people have almost always preferred Labour to the Tories and elderly voters have almost always preferred the Tories to Labour, and that hasn't changed. 1987 was an exception when young people preferred the Conservatives.
    People keep saying that - and it is certainly true that there has always been a gradient from younger to old on Tory preference over Labour - but for some reason, glossing over the magnitude of the recent shift and huge steepening of the gradient.

Con lead over Lab per age group, vice Mori, since 1987 (earliest election with consistently comparable age groups):

Yes, he did.
    But he did it by lifting the entire line upwards. Not by altering the steepness of the slope.
    Every election up until the last three had a similar such pattern. Sometimes a little steeper; sometimes a little less, sometimes with a kink in it - but each of these were by a handful of points.

This was overlain on the overall vote share - moving up or down as the country voted lefter or righter (so as to speak), but with the slope the same shape.

That's changed. The Tories need to get the younger to head right far faster as they age in order to stay in the same place. Maybe it's possible; maybe it's not. My feeling is that anyone who pronounces authoritatively on whether or not to expect it is talking their own book.
    I don't think you can predict whether this is a temporary or a permanent change until you understand why it has changed. For those who deny that there has been a change at all, then they have particularly little chance of making a meaningful prediction.
  • Options

Hope you are right. My gut is telling me otherwise. I think he has 100 and would likely win the membership vote - the key argument being that he has a mandate. I'm dearly hoping that he won't stand. If he does and if I can get anything like the current odds I'll be on him.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

If this is the line they push and if he does follow through on insisting to take it to the members then we really are ALL in trouble.

It should have been obvious. Johnson is a man who is known to be fastidious in his grudges. He will do anything he can to ensure Rishi is not PM.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Brexiteers who've backed Rishi in last 24hrs

Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers
    Steve Baker
    Kemi Badenoch
    Steve Baker
    Lord Frost
    David Davis
    Steve Barclay

What a bunch of absolute rogues there, pass a few sick buckets please.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    edited October 2022

mickydroy said:

Labour have gained 20,000 new members since the party conference, I think you have to hand it to Starmer, just by being Starmer, he is regularly polling ahead of the Tories, and now the Labour membership is on the rise again, also the party are now receiving money from high profile donors, that stopped in Corbyns tenure, labour stood on the brink at their last leadership election, a win for Rebecca Long Bailey would surely have been the end for them, whatever happens here on in, the Labour Party owe a debt of gratitude to starmer

People like winners and Starmer / Labour is seen as a winner at the moment. There are probably a few in there who may be thinking about their future political careers at whatever level and realise now is the time to join up (not that I would like to accuse them of being March Violets or anything).
    Counterintuitively, if you are politically flexible, you want to be in Government, and you aren’t already a name in the Labour Party, now is actually the time to join the Tories (thinking of the next but one government).
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Only to get Brexit over the line. The low taxation/small state ERGers are not natural Johnson bedfellows otherwise. I think this is misunderstood.
    Spot on. Brexit is yesterday's game - now it's Big State vs Little State, a GOP-style realignment vs swing back to the traditional Conservative line.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They want Johnson back

1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.

Great riposte.

It was the general policy of borrowing to pay for tax cuts that spooked the markets as I understand it.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, he did.

I don't think you can predict whether this is a temporary or a permanent change until you understand why it has changed. For those who deny that there has been a change at all, then they have particularly little chance of making a meaningful prediction.
    Another important fact is that there were just far fewer over-65s when Blair became leader, compared to today.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    pancakes said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They want Johnson back

1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.

Great riposte.

The energy price freeze was already known about before the minibudget, and was delimited to two years. In itself it would not have been enough to trigger market panic.
    It was the tax cuts with no plan to manage them which spooked the markets. The gilts went up subsequently and with them the fixed rate deals. We all know interest rates will rise, but the slower the better surely. The cliff face will crucify people.
    (Mixing my metaphors)
  • Options

Stocky said:

Spot on. Brexit is yesterday's game - now it's Big State vs Little State, a GOP-style realignment vs swing back to the traditional Conservative line.
    Yes - the Conservatives who are more liberal that conservative vs the Conservatives who are more conservative than liberal.
  • Options

So the weirdly capitalised 'Scottish Nationalists' are right then?
  • Options
    Shapps backs Sunak
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

Hopefully, the members will drive a stake through his heart.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    Oh - another point about today's over-65s is that, thanks to Thatcher, they own more property than over-65s when Blair became leader.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Rishi isn't ultra small state either.

They are supporting Rishi and not Johnson because they get it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Absolutely this. There’s no stability from this point onwards - and I have no idea why Johnson backers somehow think all is forgiven and people will fail in behind him
    I don't think it's only Johnson backers who are suffering from that delusion. I believe I am suffering from it myself.

Implicitly I am assuming that, if Sunak becomes leader instead of Johnson, and Hunt remains Chancellor, that they will manage to smooth things over for the next year or two until the general election. Yes, the economy will be a bit crap, and public services suffer, but subconsciously I'm essentially expecting nothing that dramatic will happen.

Intellectually I think this is denial. The Tories are deeply split, both politically and personally. Many proposed policies are unpopular with one faction or another. The budgets will contain many unpleasant measures that will provoke opposition. The Tories are already past the event horizon. The rest of their time in government holds out the prospect of only more infighting. Only the pain of electoral defeat and the impotence of opposition can teach them that what they have in common is more important than what they disagree on.
  • Options
    The rules on nominations aren't public.

Therefore although previously the names of nominators have not been made public, it could be different this time (for all we know). In addition, it may well be that the nomination lists are available to Tory MPs, even if they are not public.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Rishi isn't ultra small state either.

They are supporting Rishi and not Johnson because they get it.
    Based on reports, he's pretty dry though.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Shapps backs Sunak

Hes been promised a few extra weeks of seat warming for the Saj
  • Options
    NEW: Analysis shows Rishi Sunak has picked up **five times** more nominations than Boris in the last 24 hours. 22 Tory MPs for Sunak; just 4 for Johnson. By @DominicPenna.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/23/boris-johnson-rishi-sunak-tory-leadership-latest-penny-mordaunt/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Chris said:

The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

Suspect they want guarantee he has 100 names guaranteed and will stand, be slimy cabinet and payroll members who don't want to be turfed off the gravy train in event he does not go ahead.
    What do the seven Boris backers from the cabinet have in common? They know their only chance of holding cabinet position is with Johnson as leader.
  • Options
    It perhaps goes without saying that the underlying cause of this insanity is Brexit, a utopian vision that was never adequately defined during the referendum campaign and thus became all things to all people. To Suella Braverman, it was a chance to cut immigration; to Liz Truss, a chance to increase it. For some, it was about state aid; for others, Singapore Upon Thames. So, despite various attempts to enact the idea, each of which has conspicuously failed, everyone feels their particular version has been betrayed. Brexit is thus a zombie policy, both alive and dead, tested to destruction and never tested at all; an apparition hovering over the party, perhaps indefinitely.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/there-is-one-cure-for-the-tories-ills-but-theyll-die-before-they-choose-it-qq26jm7np
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

I feel like I might turn a blind eye to democracy and openness just this once if Old Lady decided to lie about nominations or votes.......
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226

Scott_xP said:

I think it proves that Johnson only ever does what is in his own narrow interests - rather than the country’s

The party just won’t hold together if he returns
    It's an astonishing message and it's actually made me quite angry.
    Some of us had reached this conclusion a long long time ago.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

pancakes said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They want Johnson back

1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.

Great riposte.

It was the tax cuts with no plan to manage them which spooked the markets. The gilts went up subsequently and with them the fixed rate deals. We all know interest rates will rise, but the slower the better surely. The cliff face will crucify people.
    (Mixing my metaphors)
    The Guardian makes the point this morning that when, in 1979, the Thatcher government cut income tax, and indeed other direct taxes, it also almost doubled the rate of VAT!
    That option isn't available now.

This discussion has been closed.