Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why hypothetical polling is bobbins – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

kjh said:

kjh said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

I’d forgotten Brown did this, but as the times reports “[LizTruss] is entitled to issue a resignation honours list, which means allies could be given peerages and knighthoods. Gordon Brown, who served for two years and 318 days, declined to issue such a list.”

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1584084654092492800

As with the lifetime allowance this should be limited to PMs who have formed a government after a GE.

The current system is not right, but that is too far surely. What if there is a plane crash the we after the GE? PM dead, new leader has nearly 5 years…
    Easier solution:

Get rid of the Lords. Then it isn't important.
    Agree with that. The pay off is wrong too. If a failure like Johnson gets what he is rumoured to be getting for speeches, then outgoing PMs are going to be just fine, thanks.
    Disagree with that. Having a publicly paid “office of the former PM” and some security feel fair for those who were around for a while, and mostly for those that won an election (though I think Brown deserves it).

Making mega-bucks from speaking and writing is open to Boris because he speaks and writes well and was the centre of a lot of controversy with global interest. That isn’t true for them all.
    Pretty sure all ex MPs make lots of money from speaking events, even May etc.
    They do, including May. I used to hire speakers for business conferences I organised. I couldn't afford a tenth of the fees they command and my audiences didn't want them either (I know because I asked). I struggle to see the attraction, certainly for the type of conferences I organised, yet the demand is there. I had some actually great speakers at a fraction of the price.
    PS pretty sure @turbotubbs meant PMs not MPs and I agreed with him on the basis of that assumption.
    Yes slip of the finger - I initially said PMs and meant PMs second time too.
    Yep had me in a panic there. My brain was going 'l agree' and then going 'what have I said, no I don't ' and then 'no he didn't mean that did he?'.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

OT: Heartbreaking - the worst person etc etc

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1584092511013945344

Major issue for the LibDems and other PR supporters if Farage wants to get out in front and be the face of it. Doesn’t make for a happy referendum campaign if you spend half the time disowning one of its supporters.
    Also why we likely never have a PR referendum.

People who most want PR and would win more seats with PR

1 The LDs
    2 Farage and RefUK
    3 The Greens

People who would lose most seats under PR at present

1 Labour
    2 The SNP
    3 The Conservatives (assuming they get back to 30%+ with Boris or Rishi)
    Sadly true, but morally wrong. Anyone could use the same argument as to why a dictator shouldn't allow elections.
    Except we are not discussing whether or not we should have democracy, just what form that democracy should take. And plenty of us believe that PR - at least as far as most of the pro-parties would want it - is generally less democratic than what we have now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Some 13 of the 53 MPS backing Boris Johnson in the Tory leadership contest welcomed his resignation in July. Two even stepped down from government roles in protest at the then-Prime Minister's leadership.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mps-backing-boris-johnson-25329652

Too many politicians are just bandwagon-jumpers and herd-followers.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    murali_s said:

Boris is value at 5 in my opinion. He will scrape over the line to get into the members ballot and then from there it's a bit of a lottery.

You can probably make some money buying when he goes long and then selling when he goes short. I think he is going to fight it out and speculation will move the markets in a disproportionate way. Ideally you want to buy at 6 and sell at 3.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    Andy_JS said:

Johnson supporters seem to be assuming that if it goes to the members he wins. I'm not sure. Sunak got 43% last time so doesn't need much of a swing to be elected.

He could only manage 43% against a total duffer, he will do any deal Boris wants to avoid another gubbing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Former Chancellor and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Zahawi backs Boris, biggest gun so far to back Johnson

https://twitter.com/nadhimzahawi/status/1584099350048694273?s=20&t=ctmbDp2Fkii7m-hkzqvuig

Gis a job, go on gis.
    “Former chancellor” - for about 5 minutes
    He did last longer than Kwarteng mind.
    Yes and he was in office longer than Hunt has been so far too.
    Did Zahawi do any actual Chancelling while in office?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Andy_JS said:

The latest YouGov, which has the Tories on 19%, still sees them with a lead in the 65+ age group.

What has happened to that age group?

you make it sound like they are WRONG - its a bit arrogant - there is no right or wrong way to vote
    The thing is, the Tories are a chaotic mess, a mess of unprecedented proportions in British political history. They've lost the confidence of the markets, and they are nearly 40 points behind with the country as a whole - so why does that age group still think the Tories are best-placed to run the country?

This is not a small difference. It demands an explanation.
    The explanation is that young people have almost always preferred Labour to the Tories and elderly voters have almost always preferred the Tories to Labour, and that hasn't changed. 1987 was an exception when young people preferred the Conservatives.
    Kinnock won under 25s 39% to 37% for Thatcher's Tories even in 1987.

You have to go back to 1983 for the last time under 25s voted Conservative

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/how-britain-voted-october-1974
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    ·
    6m
    I’m backing Boris. He got the big calls right, whether it was ordering more vaccines ahead of more waves of covid, arming 🇺🇦 early against the advice of some, or stepping down for the sake of unity. But now, Britain needs him back. We need to unite to deliver on our manifesto 1/2
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    When I was Chancellor, I saw a preview of what Boris 2.0 would look like. He was contrite & honest about his mistakes. He’d learned from those mistakes how he could run No10 & the country better.
    With a unified team behind him, he is the one to lead us to victory & prosperity 2/2

Conclusion: Zahawi is an idiot.
    More like an unpricipled , no morals, greedy grasping nasty piece of work who would sell his granny for a profit
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    edited October 2022

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    ·
    6m
    I’m backing Boris. He got the big calls right, whether it was ordering more vaccines ahead of more waves of covid, arming 🇺🇦 early against the advice of some, or stepping down for the sake of unity. But now, Britain needs him back. We need to unite to deliver on our manifesto 1/2
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    When I was Chancellor, I saw a preview of what Boris 2.0 would look like. He was contrite & honest about his mistakes. He’d learned from those mistakes how he could run No10 & the country better.
    With a unified team behind him, he is the one to lead us to victory & prosperity 2/2

Zahawi either believes that Johnson will win - and so is the person to butter up for a job in the next Cabinet - or he has been rebuffed by Sunak, who has not promised him a place at Cabinet in return for his support.

I'd like to think it was the latter, but I fear it is the former.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Former Chancellor and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Zahawi backs Boris, biggest gun so far to back Johnson

https://twitter.com/nadhimzahawi/status/1584099350048694273?s=20&t=ctmbDp2Fkii7m-hkzqvuig

Gis a job, go on gis.
    He didn't crash the economy unlike Kwarteng certainly
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

What is becoming patently obvious is that Boris Johnson has NOT carried all of the Right. A significant number of big guns (real ones HYUFD) are opposed to Boris returning.

https://news.sky.com/story/sunak-backer-labels-johnson-a-guaranteed-disaster-as-ally-for-ex-pm-claims-we-have-the-numbers-12728055

Maybe but as the JL Partners poll shows it doesn't matter whether Boris or Rishi succeed Truss, both get a 10%+ poll bounce from Labour.

On balance personally I fractionally now favour Rishi as he has more Tory MPs support than Boris and we need a fresh face I think but I would be happy with either as PM
    HYUFD, I know you treat hypothetical polls like the gospel, and you may even be right that they (at the very least) reflect the default position if they came to pass. But your error has always been in thinking that things can't change.

The decision is only a close one if the polls were suggesting that Johnson would have a much higher starting point. EVERY OTHER consideration of who should become leader is against him. Imposed by the membership against the will of the MPs. His track record of leaving scandal and division in his wake (and the KNOWN scandals built in to disrupt any govt over the next few months). The chaos he creates. The high likelihood he won't even be able to form a viable Cabinet/Government.

You're in la la land.

That's even before you start demonstrating that you have any consideration for the good of the country (as opposed to the Conservative Party) in your thoughts.

The irony is that i think the last leadership election was the exception to this where you took strongly against Truss for some reason, even though she didn't do noticeably worse in the polls.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Who will truss and Kwarteng back? Two votes up for grabs, which will unlikely be public. I doubt May will declare, but who will she back out of sushi or Penny?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2022
    Labour shouldn't fear anyone, they are heading towards government at the next GE the only question is how big the margin of victory.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andy_JS said:

The latest YouGov, which has the Tories on 19%, still sees them with a lead in the 65+ age group.

The same people who voted enthusiastically to join the EEC in 1975.
    Weren't the young in 1975 least likely to vote in favour?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Some 13 of the 53 MPS backing Boris Johnson in the Tory leadership contest welcomed his resignation in July. Two even stepped down from government roles in protest at the then-Prime Minister's leadership.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mps-backing-boris-johnson-25329652

Somebody should educate MPs that email correspondence is not scientific polling. And can of course be easily manipulated as well.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    IanB2 said:

Like political betters?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

If Johnson has 100 backers why do his supporters need to keep telling us?

And why so annoyed about it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

you make it sound like they are WRONG - its a bit arrogant - there is no right or wrong way to vote
    The thing is, the Tories are a chaotic mess, a mess of unprecedented proportions in British political history. They've lost the confidence of the markets, and they are nearly 40 points behind with the country as a whole - so why does that age group still think the Tories are best-placed to run the country?

Over 65s have voted mostly Conservative at every general election in the last 50 years except 1997.

They are now as Conservative as under 30s are Labour
    One recent poll had 6% of the under 50s voting conservative.
    No it didn't, only under 25s.

Boris actually won over 39 year olds in 2019. Cameron won over 25s in 2010
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    It looks as though Boris Johnson intends to go for this. The only hope left for this once great party, and in the short term for the country as well, is that he fails to make it to 100.

If he does cross the threshold then I'm afraid that all hell is about to break loose.
  • Options

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Major issue for the LibDems and other PR supporters if Farage wants to get out in front and be the face of it. Doesn’t make for a happy referendum campaign if you spend half the time disowning one of its supporters.

1 The LDs
    2 Farage and RefUK
    3 The Greens

1 Labour
    2 The SNP
    Sadly true, but morally wrong. Anyone could use the same argument as to why a dictator shouldn't allow elections.
    Except we are not discussing whether or not we should have democracy, just what form that democracy should take. And plenty of us believe that PR - at least as far as most of the pro-parties would want it - is generally less democratic than what we have now.
    Agree with your point. I am just pointing out the logical extrapolation of many. It is no coincidence as to why many who support PR do so because it benefits them and many oppose it for the same reasons. Others however like you and me are pro or anti for logical unbiased reason.

Re the specifics on pro or anti I am strongly opposed to lists even if PR. How do you feel about STV?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    ydoethur said:

Influential right-wing Brexiteer Steve Baker backs Rishi Sunak -and says "I'm not willing to lay down my integrity for Boris Johnson". Warning of the Privileges Committee time bomb he says: "When that vote comes, and it will, his premiership will implode"(Again)

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1584086326692847617

Just correcting what Baker said.
    If we’re being pedantic, it ought to be “would implode”, since he’s not going to be PM again in all likelihood.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    kle4 said:

On 31 hrs till we know.

In topic today's hypothetical poll is very good for Boris.

No wonder Rishi fans want to write them off as bobbins
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Some of those backing Johnson seem to be living in la la land .

Seemingly ignoring the privileges committee and the possibility that the Tories will need to find another leader next year .

Some ?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It looks as though Boris Johnson intends to go for this. The only hope left for this once great party, and in the short term for the country as well, is that he fails to make it to 100.

If he does cross the threshold then I'm afraid that all hell is about to break loose.

Boris takes the Conservatives back to 36% from their current 25% on that JL Partners poll.

So a more than 10% bounce and even fractionally better than the Rishi bounce which gets the Tories to 35%
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Heathener said:

Is this Boris Johnson's ultimate revenge on MPs for kicking him out?

I have an awful sense of dread that it may be. He gets to 100, insists on standing, and then we really are in deep doggy-do.

It's unthinkable that he could command The House whilst a significant majority of his parliamentary party oppose him leading them. I'm guessing he knows this and doesn't care.

Yes, MPs can govern without member support, but PMs cannot without MPs. He knows it and doesbt care, he just wants to prove he can still win. Which he can.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

kle4 said:

Only 31 hrs till we know.

On topic today's R&W hypothetical poll is very good for Boris.

No wonder Rishi fans want to write them off as bobbins
    Corrected
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

kle4 said:

Also, of the names yet to declare there are several big ones - some in Government and some backbenchers:

Suella Braverman, Kwasi Kwarteng, Nadhim Zahawi, Michael Gove, Steve Baker, Geoffrey Cox, Therese Coffey, Jake Berry, Chloe Smith, Ranil Jayawardena, Michelle Donelan, Vicky Ford, Jackie Doyle-Price, Nus Ghani, Kit Malthouse, Julia Lopez, Alister Jack, Mims Davies, Neil O'Brien... Liz Truss.

That's about a sixth of those left. Two things: (1) a quick scan of the names suggests up to 10 of those will go Boris (2) they might never declare, as they argue they are sitting ministers, so would have to back him (anonymously) by 2pm Monday, which could happen at the last minute.

My point: don't assume if Boris hasn't hit 100 by the end of today that he definitely won't.

Yes, I think we have to assume all three candidates will get higher than the announced (named) figure, given how many MPs are left, even if not all nominate someone. That's why him getting near would make for a very nervous wait.
    Extrapolating from Guido's figures up to 357 MPs (rounding brings the total down by 1 or 2):

Using the current named totals:
    Sunak 219
    Johnson 97
    Mordaunt 40

Using the named + anonymous totals:
    Sunak 204
    Johnson 111
    Mordaunt 40
    Surprising that Mordaunt's support seems largely to have evaporated?

Probably that MPs see the need for a coronation and stopping Johnson ahead of supporting Mordaunt again?

Though I understand that some of her supporters from last time are pissed off because she rowed-in behind Truss.
    There is still a route through for Penny Mordaunt, if you squint hard enough. It involves Boris throwing in the towel early enough for his supporters to regroup and nominate Mordaunt as the only remaining not-Rishi candidate. The deadline for nominations is tomorrow afternoon, so some time today should do it.

This reasoning would also compel Rishi to buy Mordaunt off before this can happen.
    But the MPs really don't want a contest, nor to go anywhere near the members. So it'll be sorted tomorrow if humanly possible.
    True but I am nowhere near as convinced as I was that Johnson would now win the membership ballot though it's a risk I would rather not take
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The explanation is that young people have almost always preferred Labour to the Tories and elderly voters have almost always preferred the Tories to Labour, and that hasn't changed. 1987 was an exception when young people preferred the Conservatives.
    People keep saying that - and it is certainly true that there has always been a gradient from younger to old on Tory preference over Labour - but for some reason, glossing over the magnitude of the recent shift and huge steepening of the gradient.

Con lead over Lab per age group, vice Mori, since 1987 (earliest election with consistently comparable age groups):

Should not be forgotten Blair won over 65s in 1997
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I think as we get closer to the deadline more and more Boris supporters will start begging for votes from colleagues and we'll get editorials insisting that members be allowed to have their say and what an outrage it would be if MPs acted in a manner contrary to that by not giving Boris enough votes.

The Times tracker has Boris on 55, he's been stuck around that number since Friday evening. If the needle doesn't move today I fully expect JRM and Nadine to have pieces tomorrow morning calling the 100 threshold a fix for Rishi and lashing out at MPs for not giving Boris enough support.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    edited October 2022
    biggles said:

Andy_JS said:
    Instituto Veritá - B+3.4 (previous poll B+2.3)
    Modalmais/Futura - B+1 (L+0.4)
    Brasmarket[ = B+4.7 (N/A)
    Paraná Pesquisas - L+2.4 (L+3.5)
    Ideia - L+4 (N/A)
    Datafolha - L+4 (L+5)

All to play for. If it were tomorrow, I would say L+2 (!) based on recent polls
    Oh poop! I had assumed based on the long term polling earlier in the year that Bolsonaro was a goner and switched off….

Oh well, that rainforest was pretty while it lasted.
    Lula was a really terrible candidate to put up against him. c.40 percent of Brazilians would never support Lula because of the unprecedented levels of corruption associated with his previous governments. A bit like a Johnson of the left.

There is no great enthusiasm for Bolsonaro, and he would surely have lost to a clean skin from the centre left.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    If a general election was held tomorrow, the SNP would lose seats to Labour across the central belt.

The last thing the SNP wants is a Labour government at Westminster

https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/1584110392673898496
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

What is becoming patently obvious is that Boris Johnson has NOT carried all of the Right. A significant number of big guns (real ones HYUFD) are opposed to Boris returning.

https://news.sky.com/story/sunak-backer-labels-johnson-a-guaranteed-disaster-as-ally-for-ex-pm-claims-we-have-the-numbers-12728055

Maybe but as the JL Partners poll shows it doesn't matter whether Boris or Rishi succeed Truss, both get a 10%+ poll bounce.

On balance personally I fractionally now favour Rishi as he has more Tory MPs support than Boris and we need a fresh face I think but I would be happy with either as PM
    Did you read the thread header?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

Andy_JS said:

Johnson supporters seem to be assuming that if it goes to the members he wins. I'm not sure. Sunak got 43% last time so doesn't need much of a swing to be elected.

And some at least of the membership will be conscious that having got it wrong last time....
    Peter, a significant number of members aren't even "conscious".
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Before 2010-15 this difference was present but it was much, much smaller than it is now.

For example, in 1997, the Ipsos-MORI "How Britain Voted" survey had a Labour lead 44-31 overall (i.e. +13) and a Labour lead 41-36 in the 65+ age group (i.e. +5). So the bias for the oldies to support the Tories was +8 compared to the electorate as a whole.

The latest YouGov has a Labour lead of 56-19 (+37), but a Labour deficit among 65+ of 36-40 (-4). So the bias for the oldies to support the Tories is +41 compared to the electorate as a whole (and the 65+ age group is a larger proportion of the whole now, so all things being equal we'd expect this bias to have reduced).

That's a huge difference. It's way beyond young people have always preferred Labour over the Tories. I don't think the triple lock explains it either. Labour were not reluctant in giving handouts to the 65+ age group when they were in office.
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 234
    Labour have gained 20,000 new members since the party conference, I think you have to hand it to Starmer, just by being Starmer, he is regularly polling ahead of the Tories, and now the Labour membership is on the rise again, also the party are now receiving money from high profile donors, that stopped in Corbyns tenure, labour stood on the brink at their last leadership election, a win for Rebecca Long Bailey would surely have been the end for them, whatever happens here on in, the Labour Party owe a debt of gratitude to starmer
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Gis a job, go on gis.
    Zahawi: Chancellor or Chancer? LOL.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Boris takes the Conservatives back to 36% from their current 25% on that JL Partners poll.

So a more than 10% bounce and even fractionally better than the Rishi bounce which gets the Tories to 35%
    Unproven. And probably incorrect. It's a hypothetical poll not a regular opinion poll question.

You won't listen because you never do.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Maybe but as the JL Partners poll shows it doesn't matter whether Boris or Rishi succeed Truss, both get a 10%+ poll bounce from Labour.

HYUFD, I know you treat hypothetical polls like the gospel, and you may even be right that they (at the very least) reflect the default position if they came to pass. But your error has always been in thinking that things can't change.

The decision is only a close one if the polls were suggesting that Johnson would have a much higher starting point. EVERY OTHER consideration of who should become leader is against him. Imposed by the membership against the will of the MPs. His track record of leaving scandal and division in his wake (and the KNOWN scandals built in to disrupt any govt over the next few months). The chaos he creates. The high likelihood he won't even be able to form a viable Cabinet/Government.

You're in la la land.

That's even before you start demonstrating that you have any consideration for the good of the country (as opposed to the Conservative Party) in your thoughts.

The irony is that i think the last leadership election was the exception to this where you took strongly against Truss for some reason, even though she didn't do noticeably worse in the polls.

My gut now is Boris will increase the Conservative party voteshare slightly more than Rishi as he can win redwall voters and stop leakage to Farage Rishi can't.

However I also think the Labour vote would be higher under Boris than Rishi (as would the LD vote in LD target seats) as there would be more tactical voting to keep Boris out than the less marmite Rishi would get.

You are right, my gut that Liz would be a crap leader was more accurate than the polls, though even the hypothetical polls in the summer pre mini budget were not that great for Liz
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited October 2022
    Interesting to see that in many European countries older voters tend to prefer moderate/mainstream parties and it's young people voting for the more extreme parties on both left and right. The UK is a bit of an outlier.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think as we get closer to the deadline more and more Boris supporters will start begging for votes from colleagues and we'll get editorials insisting that members be allowed to have their say and what an outrage it would be if MPs acted in a manner contrary to that by not giving Boris enough votes.

The Times tracker has Boris on 55, he's been stuck around that number since Friday evening. If the needle doesn't move today I fully expect JRM and Nadine to have pieces tomorrow morning calling the 100 threshold a fix for Rishi and lashing out at MPs for not giving Boris enough support.

Well they gave Truss enough support, and look where that got them.

I wonder what their opinion of Labour putting Corbyn into the members vote is...
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603
    If Johnson wins then I think we’re in a general election within weeks. He may even decide to trigger one himself during his new leader bounce.

Question whether Labour would want that. Probably a comfortable victory, but they then get stuck with the shit to come in 2023. 2 years of non-disastrous governance under Sunak and Tories getting full blame for the coming squeeze on living standards, then an election win in 2025 as things start to improve.
  • Options

i always assumed that Rishi really was 'ambushed by cake' whereas Johnson was the central cause and inspiration of the law-breaking culture at No 10. That along with the corruption, the lying and the shielding of sexual offenders don't incline me to be generous to Johnson.

Talking to local Cons I find -

They want Johnson back
    Many will not vote for a Con Party led by Rishi
    They don't understand that any Johnson come-back would be mired in allegations from Day One and probably wouldn't last too long.
    Several thought Truss was treated very unfairly and was stabbed in the back by Rishi.

Purely anecdotal but the Cons had better get on their knees and pray that Johnson doesn't get to 100. If he does the clock may well be ticking on the whole party

WTF is this continual “stabbed in the back” nonsense ?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Zahawi’s endorsement is a minor coup for Boris. He’s surprisingly popular inside the party, I think.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting to see that in many European countries older voters tend to prefer moderate/mainstream parties and it's young people voting for the more extreme parties on both left and right. The UK is a bit of an outlier.

Yes, in France it was pensioners that re elected Macron in May.

Young voters voted for Melenchon, as young voters voted for Corbyn here and middle aged voters voted for Le Pen.

However in 2017 French pensioners voted for Fillon, so they are still Conservatives really like their British counterparts just they prefer Macron to a far left or far right leader
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

i always assumed that Rishi really was 'ambushed by cake' whereas Johnson was the central cause and inspiration of the law-breaking culture at No 10. That along with the corruption, the lying and the shielding of sexual offenders don't incline me to be generous to Johnson.

They want Johnson back
    They don't understand that any Johnson come-back would be mired in allegations from Day One and probably wouldn't last too long.
    Several thought Truss was treated very unfairly and was stabbed in the back by Rishi.

Purely anecdotal but the Cons had better get on their knees and pray that Johnson doesn't get to 100. If he does the clock may well be ticking on the whole party

Given either Sunak or Johnson increase the Tory voteshare by at least 10%+ in that JL Partners poll last night I doubt that is true but it still looks like only Sunak will get over the 100 MP backing threshold
    I can believe the immediate post-Truss bounce. I do not believe it would last. With Johnson you enter the inevitable succession of scandles, blatant lies and failures. Outside the Con 'bubble' people have had enough and most feel the central cause of the current failure of government is one Alexander Johnson. Just watch that post-Truss bounce leak away. With Sunak the Cons have an outside chance. At best Johnson gets you to a clear defeat - and that's only if he cleans up his act. Which he will not.
  • Options
    I did notice one significant sub-sub-sub-poll.

Amongst over 65's who are white, live in what they still call the Ridings, suffer from mild angina, play golf once a week, and who drive Range Rovers (badly), Boris Johnson polled 100%.

Therefore he will win the next General Election by a landslide.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Johnson dropping towards 3 again.
  • Options

Also why is it necessary for some of his supporters to remain anonymous?
  • Options

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    When I was Chancellor, I saw a preview of what Boris 2.0 would look like. He was contrite & honest about his mistakes…

Zahawi is clearly a fool or a liar, then. Possibly both.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

They want Johnson back

1918 Germany anyone?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Before 2010-15 this difference was present but it was much, much smaller than it is now.

For example, in 1997, the Ipsos-MORI "How Britain Voted" survey had a Labour lead 44-31 overall (i.e. +13) and a Labour lead 41-36 in the 65+ age group (i.e. +5). So the bias for the oldies to support the Tories was +8 compared to the electorate as a whole.

The latest YouGov has a Labour lead of 56-19 (+37), but a Labour deficit among 65+ of 36-40 (-4). So the bias for the oldies to support the Tories is +41 compared to the electorate as a whole (and the 65+ age group is a larger proportion of the whole now, so all things being equal we'd expect this bias to have reduced).

That's a huge difference. It's way beyond young people have always preferred Labour over the Tories. I don't think the triple lock explains it either. Labour were not reluctant in giving handouts to the 65+ age group when they were in office.
    It’s fascinating. Not just a UK thing either. The younger generation is blaming the elderly for the state of the economy and the old think the young are lazy good for nothings and yearn after the good old days. In France the young are more into Le Pen than the oldies, because the old establishment is liberal/left. In Russia the old are far more supportive of Putin. In Ukraine I understand almost all residual pro-Russian sentiment is among the very old.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

You truly are an idiot if you think that was worth typing out.
  • Options
    mickydroy said:

Labour have gained 20,000 new members since the party conference, I think you have to hand it to Starmer, just by being Starmer, he is regularly polling ahead of the Tories, and now the Labour membership is on the rise again, also the party are now receiving money from high profile donors, that stopped in Corbyns tenure, labour stood on the brink at their last leadership election, a win for Rebecca Long Bailey would surely have been the end for them, whatever happens here on in, the Labour Party owe a debt of gratitude to starmer

People like winners and Starmer / Labour is seen as a winner at the moment. There are probably a few in there who may be thinking about their future political careers at whatever level and realise now is the time to join up (not that I would like to accuse them of being March Violets or anything).
  • Options
    TimS said:

If Johnson wins then I think we’re in a general election within weeks. He may even decide to trigger one himself during his new leader bounce.

Question whether Labour would want that. Probably a comfortable victory, but they then get stuck with the shit to come in 2023. 2 years of non-disastrous governance under Sunak and Tories getting full blame for the coming squeeze on living standards, then an election win in 2025 as things start to improve.

Very likely. At least 40 Tory MPs will refuse to support him, starting with Roger Gale who's already said he would resign the whip.
  • Options
    mickydroy said:

He may not be electoral dynamite, but Starmer has consistently improved over time and his achievement in neutralising the far left has been impressive.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971

If a general election was held tomorrow, the SNP would lose seats to Labour across the central belt.

The fear is palpable in the latest posts from Stuart Dickson.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Jonathan said:

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    ·
    6m
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi

He has not exactly made a compelling case to be kept in the next Cabinet, has he?

For a while I thought he was smarter than this.

For a while.
    Are you still backing Penny? Does she still have a chance?
    Her only remote chance is if Boris does not run but endorses her. Still not sure that would be enough to bring her back in the game.

I'll be happy to see her in a big job where (hopefully) she can shine and be a part of the sales pitch for a new "quietly getting on with job" pragmatic government under Rishi.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Maybe but as the JL Partners poll shows it doesn't matter whether Boris or Rishi succeed Truss, both get a 10%+ poll bounce.

Did you read the thread header?
    Yes and my earlier post showed it was rubbish, hypothetical polls are pretty accurate for named leaders, from Major in 1990 to Blair in 1994 to Cameron in 2005 to Boris winning back voters from Farage in 2019
  • Options

They want Johnson back

Talking of cake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0tMvxV-GC4
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Bobbins.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    Heathener said:

Not necessarily. Still a scenario where he gets the 100 but the members back Rishi IMHO.

• Options
    The Scottish Nationalists like to make a lot of the voting intention differences between England and Scotland to argue that Scotland is politically distinct from England, that therefore there isn't a unified political demos, and so Scotland needs to be independent.

The issue with the age-divide in voting intention is that this divide is so large, that those aged 65+ are clearly inhabiting a different political world to the rest of the country. Even after all that has happened over the last year, they would still vote for a Tory government over a Labour one. It suggests that Britain (or England & Wales if you prefer), is deeply divided among itself, arguably we no longer have a unified political demos, and this internal division will make tackling our problems much more difficult. Most likely the country is not even united over what the problems are.

A certain amount of division and dissent is healthy, and too much consensus is a bad thing, but there has to be some common ground to make progress. Until this divide is reduced I think it is going to act as a barrier to reform, whether from the left or the right.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Rishi needs a coronation. His entire behaviour shows that he does not want to get into a contest. Hence why his supporters are calling for BJ's camp to publish the list of his claimed supporters - he needs to know where he stands and how credible is BJ's chance. If Sunak's camp was as confident as many on here that BJ hasn't the numbers, he would have declared already and let the momentum push him to a coronation as fence sitters swing to his side. His behaviour - and of his supporters - is the clearest indication he thinks BJ could do this.

I mentioned on here yesterday that there is a downside for MPs coming out to support Johnson whereas for Sunak and Mordaunt there isn't. It is entirely possible he has a latent support amongst MPs that isn't being picked up by the the official announcements. Many of the more high-profile Red Wallers have not stated who they are backing but, given generally the ones that have (ex-a certain Aaron Bell) have gone with Johnson, it's entirely possible his support amongst the undeclared MPs is a higher percentage than the ones who have declared so far.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Rishi needs a coronation. His entire behaviour shows that he does not want to get into a contest. Hence why his supporters are calling for BJ's camp to publish the list of his claimed supporters - he needs to know where he stands and how credible is BJ's chance. If Sunak's camp was as confident as many on here that BJ hasn't the numbers, he would have declared already and let the momentum push him to a coronation as fence sitters swing to his side. His behaviour - and of his supporters - is the clearest indication he thinks BJ could do this.

I mentioned on here yesterday that there is a downside for MPs coming out to support Johnson whereas for Sunak and Mordaunt there isn't. It is entirely possible he has a latent support amongst MPs that isn't being picked up by the the official announcements. Many of the more high-profile Red Wallers have not stated who they are backing but, given generally the ones that have (ex-a certain Aaron Bell) have gone with Johnson, it's entirely possible his support amongst the undeclared MPs is a higher percentage than the ones who have declared so far.
    Awkward timing!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

1 The LDs
    2 Farage and RefUK
    3 The Greens

1 Labour
    2 The SNP
    Very true. PR for the Commons is highly unlikely. PR is much more likely to come in for local government and the reformed Upper House
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The membership vote isn't a "contest". It's supposed to happen in two days. The 1922 committee has designed the rules in a way that they are hoping it doesn't happen. Because it would be an absolute farce.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810

Sunak declares

The United Kingdom is a great country but we face a profound economic crisis.

That’s why I am standing to be Leader of the Conservative Party and your next Prime Minister.

I want to fix our economy, unite our Party and deliver for our country.

https://twitter.com/rishisunak/status/1584114970723512321

The longer version promising "integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level of government" amongst other things makes it a good initial pitch
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

Looks like we're getting Rishi on Monday. Johnson won't get a job - won't want to be bound by collective cabinet responsibility and wants ££££>

'Eastern European Envoy' and a peerage would do it. He still wants the PM job but this would mean he could romantically set aside his title to rescue the Tory party.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    nico679 said:

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi
    ·
    6m
    Nadhim Zahawi
    @nadhimzahawi

Boris 2.0 what nonsense . Contrite and honest !
    Sounds like someone auditioning for the part of Toad of Toad Hall, not someone who's been sacked from every job he's had for being a lying cheat trying to become prime minister (again!).

As soon as sentence is passed on Johnson he'll say:

"All of you! All the whole lot of you! All fat-faces! I am Toad, the Terror of the Highway, Toad, the traffic-queller, the Lord of the Lone Trail, before whom all must vie way or be smitten into nothingness and everlasting night. I am the Toad, the handsome, the popular, the successful Toad. And what are you? Just fat-faces."
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Rishi standing on his economic record. Oh dear. Truss pressed the button, but Rishi laid most of the charges.
  • Options
    I missed it - did others see it?

Penny Mordaunt having a car crash on @bbclaurak right now. Refusing to answer straightforward questions on what she stands for and won’t even repeat her call from 2 weeks ago that benefits should rise with inflation.

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1584096765548298241
  • Options

Looks like we're getting Rishi on Monday. Johnson won't get a job - won't want to be bound by collective cabinet responsibility and wants ££££>

'Eastern European Envoy' and a peerage would do it. He still wants the PM job but this would mean he could romantically set aside his title to rescue the Tory party.
    Ignoring him completely would also do it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Aaron Bell is supporting Sunak
  • Options

Heathener said:

Not necessarily. Still a scenario where he gets the 100 but the members back Rishi IMHO.

A scenario.

But the members are an ornery bunch who have rejected Rishi for Liz Truss (Liz Truss!!!! Remember her?) and will likely reject him again for Boris.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Rishi standing on his economic record. Oh dear. Truss pressed the button, but Rishi laid most of the charges.

With his stature, he'd be better off standing on something with a bit more heft, like a box.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

MaxPB said:

The betting man is betting on Sunak?

• Options

Heathener said:

A scenario.

But the members are an ornery bunch who have rejected Rishi for Liz Truss (Liz Truss!!!! Remember her?) and will likely reject him again for Boris.
    I am not so sure. He will have overwhelming backing from the MPs and there will be a desire to cause less chaos.

It will be a close run thing IMHO. Rishi’s “toxicity” with the membership is oft overplayed.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

The Scottish Nationalists like to make a lot of the voting intention differences between England and Scotland to argue that Scotland is politically distinct from England, that therefore there isn't a unified political demos, and so Scotland needs to be independent.

The issue with the age-divide in voting intention is that this divide is so large, that those aged 65+ are clearly inhabiting a different political world to the rest of the country. Even after all that has happened over the last year, they would still vote for a Tory government over a Labour one. It suggests that Britain (or England & Wales if you prefer), is deeply divided among itself, arguably we no longer have a unified political demos, and this internal division will make tackling our problems much more difficult. Most likely the country is not even united over what the problems are.

A certain amount of division and dissent is healthy, and too much consensus is a bad thing, but there has to be some common ground to make progress. Until this divide is reduced I think it is going to act as a barrier to reform, whether from the left or the right.

Why? Under 25s even voted Labour in 1987, 2010 and 2019 too.

The fact over 65s almost always vote Conservative, only time they didn't in recent decades was 1997 and under 25s almost always vote Labour, last time they didn't was 1983, just shows they are the Conservative and Labour base respectively.

It does not mean the country is irreparably divided as it is still 30 to 65 year olds who are the swing voters who decide elections, not the oldest or youngest voters.

• Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Sunak declares

The United Kingdom is a great country but we face a profound economic crisis.

That’s why I am standing to be Leader of the Conservative Party and your next Prime Minister.

I want to fix our economy, unite our Party and deliver for our country.

https://twitter.com/rishisunak/status/1584114970723512321

The longer version promising "integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level of government" amongst other things makes it a good initial pitch
    Although I’d have put “deliver for our country” ahead of “unite our party” in his 3 part list.
  • Options

Heathener said:

A scenario.

Rishi’s “toxicity” with the membership is oft overplayed.
    Do you have evidence to back that? Not an antagonistic question, I'm genuinely interested to know on what solid factual grounds you can state it?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited October 2022
    The addition of:

Steve Baker
    Jesse Norman
    Geoffrey Cox
    Theresa Villiers

Since yesterday - two Truss and two Sunak - to Sunak's tally helps him.

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)
  • Options
    Meanwhile on Russia's state-funded RT, director of broadcasting Anton Krasovsky suggests drowning or burning Ukrainian children, makes hideous comments about the rapes by Russian soldiers in Ukraine, says Ukraine should not exist and Ukrainians who resist Russia should be shot.
    https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1584054018145685504
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    edited October 2022

The fear is palpable in the latest posts from Stuart Dickson.
    There is definitely concern in the SNP, see the analysis of their conference speechs.

OTOH, any losses to Labour would be more than offset by gains from the Tories in Moray, Aberdeenshire and the borders. And I don't think the SNP are that bothered by actually losing seats - it's whether they get over that magic 50% in votes mark (SNP + Greens). They can then claim they have a rock solid case for Indyref2
  • Options

MaxPB said:

That's why I said 'ex-a certain Aaron Bell'...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They want Johnson back

1918 Germany anyone?
    Sure, it’s distasteful.
    But in this case it’s utter mince. Sunak warned of the consequences of Truss’s policies before she won. Both he and his supporters were almost entirely excluded from her administration, which then experienced the predicted disaster.
    Whether he owed any loyalty to her is questionable; even if he did, to suggest any kind if ‘betrayal’ plums the depths of absurdity.

These people are just mad.
    That the stabbing was justified, due to Sunak and his supporters being 'excluded from the administration' is debatable. Professing confusion that anyone is alleging stabbing at all is amnesia.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Where do think the Tories would be if they took the risk of making Boris PM again and in a matter of a few weeks he has to resign due to the Committee of Privileges report? 15%? 10%? Less?

Is it worth the risk for a "fractionally better than the Rishi bounce" that can be locked in, risk free?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,218
    edited October 2022
    TimS said:

Agreed that this is the conventional wisdom. However I think the UK is going to have to get used to several completely different circumstances over the coming years, and that "things start to improve" will not come in the scale of cycles we have known up until now. I don´t generally agree with Peter Zeihan´s ideas, which are more eye-catching than accurate, but he does have one critical thing right: the change in demographics will radically alter the global business cycle that we have know and that we are not prepared for what that means.

Globalization in the past thirty years was built on the back of cheap Chinese production and that has now disappeared and the CCP congress is the final nail in the coffin of China as a viable part of the global supply chain. The US can bring production back from Asia, but UK/Europe cannot. A massive increase in investment, especially in automation, is required, just at the point where the price of capital is now going to increase sharply. So for several years, outside of the US, inflation is going to be very high and living standards will fall sharply. The UK is particularly vulnerable with a high current account deficit being used to bolster short term living standards, but not fixing the long term problem, as David McWilliams enjoys telling us in the Irish Times.https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/10/22/david-mcwilliams-it-is-tragic-how-far-the-uk-has-fallen/

The point is that unless there is a radical overhaul of economic policy and indeed of policy formation, the UK is in worse trouble than its EU competitors, who themselves are in serious trouble. So we cannot depend on the business cycle to help restore our financial position.

In short the policies that have managed the long term decline of the UK have now run out of road. The Tories don´t know what to do and Labour don´t really know that there is a problem. Our political system cannot solve the crisis unless some radical changes are made. Although the Tories are responsible for the immediate disaster in the financial markets, and should indeed pay the price, Labour cannot bank on any improvement within the normal electoral cycle.

A leader who can convey critical home truths to the British people is much needed. Its not Sunak, definitely not Johnson and unfortunately I see no vital signs from SKS.

So the crisis could last decades, until we recognize that good days have gone forever and we need to change dramatically to offer the next generation any hope at all.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

A scenario.

Rishi’s “toxicity” with the membership is oft overplayed.
    Do you have evidence to back that? Not an antagonistic question, I'm genuinely interested to know on what solid factual grounds you can state it?
    He outperformed his polling vs Truss.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

You're in la la land.

My gut now is Boris will increase the Conservative party voteshare slightly more than Rishi as he can win redwall voters and stop leakage to Farage Rishi can't.

However I also think the Labour vote would be higher under Boris than Rishi (as would the LD vote in LD target seats) as there would be more tactical voting to keep Boris out than the less marmite Rishi would get.

You are right, my gut that Liz would be a crap leader was more accurate than the polls, though even the hypothetical polls in the summer pre mini budget were not that great for Liz
    I think you are correct about Tory and Labour votes being higher if Johnson leads you into the next GE.

He is marmite - idolised by a third of voters and loathed by two-thirds. Sunak and Starmer don't elicit such strong emotions either way.

What Johnson rappers fail to understand or acknowledge is the other side of the equation.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Meanwhile on Russia's state-funded RT, director of broadcasting Anton Krasovsky suggests drowning or burning Ukrainian children, makes hideous comments about the rapes by Russian soldiers in Ukraine, says Ukraine should not exist and Ukrainians who resist Russia should be shot.
    https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1584054018145685504

Seems like a nice guy then (!)
  • Options
    edited October 2022

My current forecast is:

Sunak 160 (+5)
    Boris 104 (-6)
    Mordaunt 30 (n/c)

Where are the other 60-ish going? Can you make your forecast of the full 370?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Awkward timing!
    Timing is everything :)

However, even his announcement suggests someone who knows he couldn't wait much longer. As I said, Rishi's behaviour so far hasn't suggested that he thinks BJ has little chance of reaching the threshold.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Where do think the Tories would be if they took the risk of making Boris PM again and in a matter of a few weeks he has to resign due to the Committee of Privileges report? 15%? 10%? Less?

Is it worth the risk for a "fractionally better than the Rishi bounce" that can be locked in, risk free?
    It is utterly unforgivable and I hope his backers are thrown out at the next GE
This discussion has been closed.