Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why hypothetical polling is bobbins – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

"If Boris Johnson appears on the ballot, be afraid, says Michael Portillo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQFqp_WyTw4

That's excellent - spot on - Portillo nails the current situation.
    I think that his confidence that Boris would win the members is slightly misplaced, that is not a given. But be afraid, yes, certainly.
    If Boris wins we likely go to a snap general election before Christmas, enough Tory Rishi backers would make a sustainable Boris premiership impossible and many would vote with the Opposition for an election.

Only Rishi has enough support amongst Tory MPs to sustain a government for a year or 2 until the next general election
    I think Portillo is certainly right about the cabinet. It had fallen apart before he quit and I don't see humpty dumpty managing to put it together again.
    Portillo is about the only decent Tory in the country ( politician's past and present ), apart from Clarke of course.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099
    edited October 2022
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

The Scottish Nationalists like to make a lot of the voting intention differences between England and Scotland to argue that Scotland is politically distinct from England, that therefore there isn't a unified political demos, and so Scotland needs to be independent.

The issue with the age-divide in voting intention is that this divide is so large, that those aged 65+ are clearly inhabiting a different political world to the rest of the country. Even after all that has happened over the last year, they would still vote for a Tory government over a Labour one. It suggests that Britain (or England & Wales if you prefer), is deeply divided among itself, arguably we no longer have a unified political demos, and this internal division will make tackling our problems much more difficult. Most likely the country is not even united over what the problems are.

A certain amount of division and dissent is healthy, and too much consensus is a bad thing, but there has to be some common ground to make progress. Until this divide is reduced I think it is going to act as a barrier to reform, whether from the left or the right.

So the weirdly capitalised 'Scottish Nationalists' are right then?
    I make no judgement in that comment whether the ScotNats are right (the capitalisation seems fairly standard to me), but I'm playing with the idea of it being a framework with which to think about the political divisions in Britain today.

Arguably the age division is the source of the divide in Scotland too, just that it has expressed itself slightly differently to England. The latest YouGov had the SNP lead Labour 45-31 overall, but behind 34-36 among over-65s.

Resolving the age divide across Britain might resolve the question of Scottish independence, one way or another, much more clearly than the current stalemate.
    Nationalist is not a proper noun therefore you are wrong to capitalise it.
    It is part of their party

name, so it is as correct to capitalise it as it is to capitalise Labour or Conservative, or Labourite,

etc.
    Nope, it’s the Scottish National Party and you were talking about people who supported independence for Scotland, not the party - at least that was the clear implication from your post

You wouldn't say "Scottish Nationals" though would you? You say "Scottish Nationalists".

I don't see why this is such a bone of contention.
    Because it has F all to do with the political party and you made a right tit of yourself by not even knowing the party name , getting it totally wrong and then conflating it with Independence supporters.
    I know perfectly well what the name of the SNP is.
    To be fair, I didn't. I thought it was 'Scottish Nationalist' because that's what everyone calls them, even though it's apparently not their official name.

I think it's irrelevant though. People call Plaid Cymru 'Nationalists' and that isn't even remotely part of their name (or for the matter of that their policy offering)!
    It is only their name in the minds of jingoists.
    So they do call themselves that?
    malcolmg said:

The Tories are called arseholes but no-one calls tehm the arsehole Conservative party.

I hope now lockdown has ended you can get out more.

Although admittedly they're frequently called much worse than that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

The Scottish Nationalists like to make a lot of the voting intention differences between England and Scotland to argue that Scotland is politically distinct from England, that therefore there isn't a unified political demos, and so Scotland needs to be independent.

The issue with the age-divide in voting intention is that this divide is so large, that those aged 65+ are clearly inhabiting a different political world to the rest of the country. Even after all that has happened over the last year, they would still vote for a Tory government over a Labour one. It suggests that Britain (or England & Wales if you prefer), is deeply divided among itself, arguably we no longer have a unified political demos, and this internal division will make tackling our problems much more difficult. Most likely the country is not even united over what the problems are.

A certain amount of division and dissent is healthy, and too much consensus is a bad thing, but there has to be some common ground to make progress. Until this divide is reduced I think it is going to act as a barrier to reform, whether from the left or the right.

I make no judgement in that comment whether the ScotNats are right (the capitalisation seems fairly standard to me), but I'm playing with the idea of it being a framework with which to think about the political divisions in Britain today.

Arguably the age division is the source of the divide in Scotland too, just that it has expressed itself slightly differently to England. The latest YouGov had the SNP lead Labour 45-31 overall, but behind 34-36 among over-65s.

Resolving the age divide across Britain might resolve the question of Scottish independence, one way or another, much more clearly than the current stalemate.

name, so it is as correct to capitalise it as it is to capitalise Labour or Conservative, or Labourite,

etc.
    Nope, it’s the Scottish National Party and you were talking about people who supported independence for Scotland, not the party - at least that was the clear implication from your post

You wouldn't say "Scottish Nationals" though would you? You say "Scottish Nationalists".

Because it has F all to do with the political party and you made a right tit of yourself by not even knowing the party name , getting it totally wrong and then conflating it with Independence supporters.
    To be fair, I didn't. I thought it was 'Scottish Nationalist' because that's what everyone calls them, even though it's apparently not their official name.

I think it's irrelevant though. People call Plaid Cymru 'Nationalists' and that isn't even remotely part of their name (or for the matter of that their policy offering)!
    Stop digging Australia beckons
    You'll roo the day you said that.

Edit - incidentally, on a point of punctuation, there should be a comma between 'digging' and 'Australia.'
    Possumly
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,846
    Another cabinet endorsement for Rishi Sunak https://twitter.com/norwichchloe/status/1584138448138829824
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not much movement for Boris, still stuck on under 60 declarations of support. Rishi now over 130. I don't see where Boris picks up the 45 additional votes now that high profile right wingers have backed Rishi. Kemi's piece today was devastating for Boris and once again shows that she is a future PM, clear and consistent.

He has completely stalled out over the last 24 hours, and all the briefings are not what you'd associate with a campaign that is going well and going to reach 100 easily.

Wonder how much work they are having to do to stop people switching away from them.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,212

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

I think that his confidence that Boris would win the members is slightly misplaced, that is not a given. But be afraid, yes, certainly.
    If Boris wins we likely go to a snap general election before Christmas, enough Tory Rishi backers would make a sustainable Boris premiership impossible and many would vote with the Opposition for an election.

Only Rishi has enough support amongst Tory MPs to sustain a government for a year or 2 until the next general election
    Now that is some rare common sense
    On the contrary, if we were sure enough Tories would be willing to sacrifice their jobs in that way, then picking Johnson isn't such a bad option. But they won't.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

etc.

Edit - incidentally, on a point of punctuation, there should be a comma between 'digging' and 'Australia.'
    Possumly
    This punning contest has been croced already.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

If Johnson, Sunak and Mordaunt all reach 100 then there is a vote of Tory MPs to establish the final two AIUI.

How is that vote conducted? Is it secret? Do they just vote for their choice or do they give a second choice?

If Boris just crawls over the 100 line, then as I have said repeatedly, if he has enough to lend to Penny, Rishi should indeed lend enough to put Penny over the line. Easier to manipulate that vote to exclude Boris from the final 2 than to risk a straight Rishi v Boris members vote that Rishi may well lose.

Obs, the deal is then that Penny drops out for a immediate Rishi coronation.
    If Sunak has twice as many as Johnson, I bet this is already being spreadsheeted. Whether they have the intelligence (in both senses) to pull it off is another matter. The counter-strategy is a huge MP endorsement for Sunak giving him the best chance with the members
    Not sure a huge win with the MPs translates into any advantage for Rishi with the members.

Much more likely to think "Rishi's going to win, so I'll stay true to my heart and vote Boris..."
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,036
    Scott_xP said:

Hearing that Jeremy Hunt has reached out to both Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson as he weighs up Tory leadership

However he's heard nothing back from Johnson despite contacting him multiple times

Sounds like animosity from the 2019 Tory leadership campaign still runs very deep

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1584139683298430976

If BoZo wins, presumably Hunt is no longer Chancellor and the markets crash all over again

**** business.

The important feature is Al is happy. If Al is happy, everyone is happy.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,122
    Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Not a given but a strong likelihood IMO. The "Boris has a mandate" point is, for them, a strong one and the indicative vote, which will be designed to steer the membership in the direction the MPs want, will prove to be counter-productive as the membership will not want to be preached to.
    Before the disaster of Truss that might have been true but now, surely, there will be a desperation for something sane and stable. Hunt has an important role here. If he makes it clear that he will not serve under Boris then he doesn't make the 100.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

I think Portillo is certainly right about the cabinet. It had fallen apart before he quit and I don't see humpty dumpty managing to put it together again.
    Portillo is about the only decent Tory in the country ( politician's past and present ), apart from Clarke of course.
    And who would have predicted that, thirty years ago?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    Scott_xP said:

Another cabinet endorsement for Rishi Sunak https://twitter.com/norwichchloe/status/1584138448138829824

She backed Truss of course last time, so another net gain by Sunak
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Resolving the age divide across Britain might resolve the question of Scottish independence, one way or another, much more clearly than the

current stalemate.

'The Scottish Nationalist Party' for which it is short *is* a proper noun though.
    Shocking ignorance on a politics site
    A proper question then. How did Alba respond to Sturgeons big announcement on what Independence actually looks like, and the transition. It was quite a big declaration of things unfortunately lost beneath all these other shenanigans.

Did Alba pretty much agree with it all, or do they actually have a different vision and path to achieving it?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,427
    MaxPB said:

I think if Boris does make the final two then MPs who have voted for Rishi should make it clear to members that they would refuse to serve under Boris and will leave the party as he is completely unsuitable to be PM, as we have already seen. If the members see it as blackmail and don't like it that can leave.

Maybe the members will think that it ought to be MPs who leave the party, not them. (Not my position).
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Hearing that Jeremy Hunt has reached out to both Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson as he weighs up Tory leadership

However he's heard nothing back from Johnson despite contacting him multiple times

Sounds like animosity from the 2019 Tory leadership campaign still runs very deep

If BoZo wins, presumably Hunt is no longer Chancellor and the markets crash all over again

**** business.

Is that 'Alexander' or 'Artificial Intelligence?'

If the latter I think you owe us an apology for triggering Leon.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

We’re heading toward an extinction level conservative event if Boris stands.

I just cannot comprehend how MPs in significant positions of power can re endorse Johnson. We head straight into more scandal from day one - and they actively welcome it?

36% of the vote on that JL Partners poll with Boris is not an 'extinction level event' it is what Cameron got in 2010.

Truss was leading the Tories to less than 20% of the vote and an 'extinction level event' neither Boris nor Rishi would be, both get well over 30% on the JL poll
    It will be all over in weeks as tresignations and the privileges committee take him down and it is just shocking he and his supporters cannot see that they are in the process of destroying the conservative party
    Absolutely this. There’s no stability from this point onwards - and I have no idea why Johnson backers somehow think all is forgiven and people will fail in behind him
    I don't think it's only Johnson backers who are suffering from that delusion. I believe I am suffering from it myself.

Implicitly I am assuming that, if Sunak becomes leader instead of Johnson, and Hunt remains Chancellor, that they will manage to smooth things over for the next year or two until the general election. Yes, the economy will be a bit crap, and public services suffer, but subconsciously I'm essentially expecting nothing that dramatic will happen.

Intellectually I think this is denial. The Tories are deeply split, both politically and personally. Many proposed policies are unpopular with one faction or another. The budgets will contain many unpleasant measures that will provoke opposition. The Tories are already past the event horizon. The rest of their time in government holds out the prospect of only more infighting. Only the pain of electoral defeat and the impotence of opposition can teach them that what they have in common is more important than what they disagree on.
    I agree.
    I am tending to the idea Boris is done. He won't make the 100, though it will be close.
    But I can't see a billionaire with a non-dom wife pushing through tax cuts and spending cuts in the teeth of falling wages and strikes, being a calm couple of years with a newly united, functioning Tory Party marching behind in lock step.
    1% chance of that. Far too many aren't with the programme before the pain has even started.
    Not getting on the ballot is better for the “Boris Myth”
    - stabbed in the back - by his own MPs
    - Denied a second chance to rescue the country, again, by his own MPs
    - Could have saved the Tory party from the electoral bloodbath of 2024

Of course it’s total rubbish - but when has Johnson ever let the truth get in the way of “a good story” (sic).
    For the country better he gets his nonsense myth then the job.

I felt more confident yesterday but not today - still enough for MPs to act like he could save them.
  • Options

There's loads of random capitalisation on the thread this morning. Why so touchy about mine?

The SNP could have called themselves simply the Scotland Pary, or the Scotland Independence Party, or a myriad of other possible names if they didn't want the word "National" to be in their party name and didn't want to be associated with the concept of Nationalism.

a hundred years ago they wanted to be the Scottish party for the nation, hence "National".
    The fact that unionists try to always misname them and imply they are some nasty "Nationalist" organisation with its connotations is a recent thing since the resurgence of the right wing Imperialism in England.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Betting Post

F1: backed no safety car at 2.55.

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2022/10/usa-pre-race-2022.html
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,901
    I guess if Boris declares he has his 100 as he won't countenance rejection, so the longer he is undeclared the better
  • Options

If Rishi gets 200 MPs, Boris gets 100 - and then the membership votes for Boris, then...

... BOOM

Full on party split, i think.

https://twitter.com/Ed_Dorrell/status/1584133965266694145

A general election in other words, with the Tories on 19% in the polls.
  • Options
    Chloe Smith comes out for Sunak. That is quite a blow for Johnson.
  • Options
    Tres said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

etc.

it's just a little bit of disrespectful, but also lots of history you may not be aware of due to the way Scottish Labour have always deliberately used the incorrect name to needle the SNP.
    aka Bozo in the house of commons and the inept current speaker allowed it
  • Options
    It is incredible that Johnson's ego is so big he'd risk the destruction of the Conservative Party.
  • Options

He's being blown by Chloe Smith.

Pass the mind bleach, please.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,036
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

**** business.

I have decided not to refer to Mr Johnson by his stage name anymore.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I just cannot comprehend how MPs in significant positions of power can re endorse Johnson. We head straight into more scandal from day one - and they actively welcome it?

36% of the vote on that JL Partners poll with Boris is not an 'extinction level event' it is what Cameron got in 2010.

Truss was leading the Tories to less than 20% of the vote and an 'extinction level event' neither Boris nor Rishi would be, both get well over 30% on the JL poll
    It will be all over in weeks as tresignations and the privileges committee take him down and it is just shocking he and his supporters cannot see that they are in the process of destroying the conservative party
    Absolutely this. There’s no stability from this point onwards - and I have no idea why Johnson backers somehow think all is forgiven and people will fail in behind him
    I don't think it's only Johnson backers who are suffering from that delusion. I believe I am suffering from it myself.

Implicitly I am assuming that, if Sunak becomes leader instead of Johnson, and Hunt remains Chancellor, that they will manage to smooth things over for the next year or two until the general election. Yes, the economy will be a bit crap, and public services suffer, but
    subconsciously I'm essentially expecting
    nothing that dramatic will happen.

Intellectually I think this is denial. The Tories are deeply split, both politically and personally. Many proposed policies are unpopular with one faction or another. The budgets will contain many unpleasant measures that will provoke opposition. The Tories are already past the event horizon. The rest of their time in government holds out the prospect of only more infighting. Only the pain of electoral defeat and the impotence of opposition can teach them that what they have in common is more important than what they disagree on.
    I agree.
    I am tending to the idea Boris is done. He won't make the 100, though it will be close.
    But I can't see a billionaire with a non-dom wife pushing through tax cuts and spending cuts in the teeth of falling wages and strikes, being a calm couple of years with a newly united, functioning Tory Party marching behind in lock step.

1% chance of that. Far too many aren't with the
    programme before the pain has even started.
    You have hit the nail on the head here re Rishi.

Many on here - as well as the commentariat - are saying how Johnson winning the contest would split the Tory party.

But what many are missing - and I suspect because their dislike of BJ is overwhelming their rational capabilities and / or they are viewing the Tory party through their own well-off, middle class lens - is that the chances of a split are maybe even higher with Rishi as leader.

The attack lines against Rishi are already written as you note - rich, smug, non-tax paying wife, didn't declare his Green Card (how do people think that's not an issue? oh, because it's the sort of thing they might do themselves). Labour would love it. More to the point, Farage et al would point to the "Globalists" now running the Tory party.

In that scenario, it's easy to see the populist wing decide to take their chances with a new Farage-influenced movement with possibly Johnson at its head. Would they keep many seats? Probably not but the damage would be done.

The attacks are there for Rushi and he will lose, but less chance of a split. He wont drive actual MPs out.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

etc.

Possumly
    Too many wallaby punners here....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

etc.

it is the internet punctuation , spelling and all else go out the windae
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

**** business.

So you're going to describe him as A Johnson from now on?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

etc.

it is the internet punctuation , spelling and all else go out the windae
    Given the way this whole discussion kicked off, that's deliciously ironic!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Driver said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Sunak declares

The United Kingdom is a great country but we face a profound economic crisis.

That’s why I am standing to be Leader of the Conservative Party and your next Prime Minister.

I want to fix our economy, unite our Party and deliver for our country.

https://twitter.com/rishisunak/status/1584114970723512321

The longer version promising "integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level of government" amongst other things makes it a good initial pitch
    Not with Tory members and 100 of their MPs.

Brady should have set the level at 180 - only someone with a majority to get nominated!
    Nice idea, but it would have provoked a legal challenge as failing in his duty to provide a choice to the membership.
    Should have set it at one third, where did they get 100 from?
    Best guess, there were three obvious candidates, so the threshold was set at a level where it was possible but difficult for all three to qualify.
    I think the 100 is meant to keep Johnson out. If it doesn't that's a screw up.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It is incredible that Johnson's ego is so big he'd risk the destruction of the Conservative Party.

If he gets 100 MPs to back him then he is entitled to go to a members vote with Sunak under the party rules.

If he doesn't then Sunak is crowned leader and PM by Tuesday night
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

He's being blown by Chloe Smith.

Pass the mind bleach, please.
    She supported him in 2019 and in the June VONC.
  • Options
    AS of now, I understand that @BorisJohnson is struggling to get the numbers. “I think he’s finished” says one backbencher who was asked for support. Still too early to say tho!!

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1584142807526440960
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Resolving the age divide across Britain might resolve the question of Scottish independence, one way or another, much more clearly than the

current stalemate.

'The Scottish Nationalist Party' for which it is short *is* a proper noun though.
    Well, we all know your view that they're not nationalists...
    Trying to hide schoolboy errors , not surprising the knowledge on Scotland is still totally lacking on here despite all the Scotch experts.
    I've always thought of you and one or two other Scottish posters (Stuart Dickson) as more whine experts.
    your spelling is shocking as well as your political nous, you added a stray "h" in wine there.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Sunak declares

The United Kingdom is a great country but we face a profound economic crisis.

That’s why I am standing to be Leader of the Conservative Party and your next Prime Minister.

I want to fix our economy, unite our Party and deliver for our country.

https://twitter.com/rishisunak/status/1584114970723512321

The longer version promising "integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level of government" amongst other things makes it a good initial pitch
    Not with Tory members and 100 of their MPs.

Brady should have set the level at 180 - only someone with a majority to get nominated!
    Nice idea, but it would have provoked a legal challenge as failing in his duty to provide a choice to the membership.
    Should have set it at one third, where did they get 100 from?
    I suspect because it didn't look so much of an attempt to fix the outcome....
    Yes, they wanted to cut members out without formally doing so. But that left a gap big enough for Boris to slither through
    If you can rely on the 22 for anything, it is a schoolboy error.....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,068
    edited October 2022
    malcolmg said:

There's loads of random capitalisation on the thread this morning. Why so touchy about mine?

The SNP could have called themselves simply the Scotland Pary, or the Scotland Independence Party, or a myriad of other possible names if they didn't want the word "National" to be in their party name and didn't want to be associated with the concept of Nationalism.

a hundred years ago they wanted to be the Scottish party for the nation, hence "National".
    The fact that unionists try to always misname them and imply they are some nasty "Nationalist" organisation with its connotations is a recent thing since the resurgence of the right wing Imperialism in England.
    I don't see the distinction.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not much movement for Boris, still stuck on under 60 declarations of support. Rishi now over 130. I don't see where Boris picks up the 45 additional votes now that high profile right wingers have backed Rishi. Kemi's piece today was devastating for Boris and once again shows that she is a future PM, clear and consistent.

He has completely stalled out over the last 24 hours, and all the briefings are not what you'd associate with a campaign that is going well and going to reach 100 easily.

Wonder how much work they are having to do to stop people switching away from them.
    If he's close but short - and still "up for it" - I bet there's no end of horribly sleazy things going on to get there.
  • Options
    RobCLRobCL Posts: 23
    kjh said:

OT I was at the Formula Ford festival yesterday mainly watching from just passed Paddock Hill bend, because I was with a team and spent quite a bit of time in the paddock. The team had 2 cars running. The son of the owners was one of the drivers. He collided with another car just after the bend and went off harmlessly and rejoined. Later in another heat someone else wasn't as lucky. I would have thought it impossible to survive the crash, but the driver walked away. There was nothing left of the car when the recovery truck passed us. How he walked away I have no idea. It was sickening.

I was watching the faces of the parents. Don't let your sons and daughters race cars. It is not worth it.

On a lighter note I know the sponsor of a rally car. They were told that C4 was covering a rally and would be using a helicopter so they put a great big logo on the roof. The car got a huge amount of coverage from the helicopter. However he didn't have the foresight to put a logo on the underside of the car.

Got sent the video of that crash yesterday. Lucky he hit the wall with the underside of his car and not the top. However he did walk away and even if the car was in pieces it did it’s job.

His mum was apparently very upset all the same.

Brands is not a cheap circuit if you make a mistake.

• Options
    This partnership has been entertaining, but I don't see them winning. 14 an over is a big ask.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    Scott_xP said:

That's good for Sunak. Wasn't sure about her.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

current stalemate.

Trying to hide schoolboy errors , not surprising the knowledge on Scotland is still totally lacking on here despite all the Scotch experts.
    I've always thought of you and one or two other Scottish posters (Stuart Dickson) as more whine experts.
    your spelling is shocking as well as your political nous, you added a stray "h" in wine there.
    Are you saying everything is rosé in your world?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I described him as Gozo the Destructor the other day.

I don't regret that choice of words.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

etc.

Possumly
    It has certainly brought out a cockatoo...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

current stalemate.

More of a wisky fan, I'd wager?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,570
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

I like that post. You have made a gut reaction based upon an opinion that is based upon reasonable assumptions, whether others agree with it or not. I think it is sound personally.

You did a nice one earlier (I don't know whether I liked it or not) where you actually said 'my gut reaction' based upon a hypothetical polls mean you thought something or other.

There is nothing wrong with hypothetical polls if you treat them as such, so it is unfair of me to suggest they are complete nonsense, but they should be treated with a great deal of scepticism and we do need to identify in each case why they may be flawed (eg, events we know will happen afterwards that the poll respondent doesn't, polls comparing unknown people with well known people, polls where you see the result is actually wrong and therefore you know must be flawed but don't know why (people taking antidepressants being out by a factor of 10, IQ levels of underdeveloped countries being clearly wrong, etc).

You often treat them as fact. They are statistically correct within the parameters of the question, but there is the old saying garbage in garbage out. In fairness in your last two examples were excellent uses of hypothetical polls.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

etc.

Possumly
    It has certainly brought out a cockatoo...
    I hope you feel duly sheepish after that effort.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

I think if Boris does make the final two then MPs who have voted for Rishi should make it clear to members that they would refuse to serve under Boris and will leave the party as he is completely unsuitable to be PM, as we have already seen. If the members see it as blackmail and don't like it that can leave.

Maybe the members will think that it ought to be MPs who leave the party, not them. (Not my position).
    It would be poetic justice if it got to the members and they then absolutely stuck it to Boris going 70:30 for Sunak. More than Hunt lost by in 2019.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Dura_Ace said:

If Boris 2.0 has learnt from an extensive back catalogue of errors, he still has the potential to be a damn fine PM, to still be PM into the 2030s.

Honestly, what's the point of even writing this?

Johnson is not going to inwardly reflect, acheive moksha and be reborn with self-realisation as a better person. He's going to be exactly the same.

Clive James wrote about how he met Susannah York when she was 23. She was so beautiful that he just burst into tears. That's the exact emotion I'm going to experience if Johnson comes back and destroys the tory party.
    I’m not proposing those thoughts as my own - I’m analysing if Boris wins this will be the reasoning of the membership to deliver his win. As I explained in the post, my time on ConHome this week leads to the complete opposite, little love for Boris 2.0 at all. The caveat is, ConHome commenterie are quite left leaning.

Also I detect much more positive support for Rishi on PB, than on ConHome, who would prefer the contest widened than Boris v Sunak.

“Boris tells porkies. Sunak talks like he is in a board meeting” was posted there this morning. So who do you want to campaign on your behalf? No. This is actually a Serious question.
    Here’s Sunak’s political obituary to explain what I mean.
    Though some people may list green cards, Tax havens, furlough schemes, and mining the dam for Truss to press the button, truth is all went wrong for Sunak because sunak is a terrible campaigner. He literally cannot understand what the voters who decide a contest want and moderate his pitch from "I know what's best for you so I don't need to listen". Truss was able to run rings around him even though she was only promising what she had no intention of delivering. Keir Starmer would do the same as Truss and wipe the floor with tin-eared Sunak.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,377

Boris on good form at the 8am meeting with MPs. Fly was done up, only asked four people for cash, ok he spent the first half of the meeting talking about that treehouse, but the rest was a rousing story about Caligula. Has 2000 MPs backing him now ✅🇬🇧

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1584102217367187456

Morning all.

Treehouse?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,901
    Hows this for nuts..... Boris is on 99 Monday lunchtime and Liz restores the whip to Pincher
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If Rishi gets 200 MPs, Boris gets 100 - and then the membership votes for Boris, then...

... BOOM

Even the Tories are not stupid enough for that. Not least there is no ideology between the two.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

If he's close but short - and still "up for it" - I bet there's no end of horribly sleazy things going on to get there.
    Equally possible that dark arts are keeping him short.

Who is Morton backing, I wonder?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Implicitly I am assuming that, if Sunak becomes leader instead of Johnson, and Hunt remains Chancellor, that they will manage to smooth things over for the next year or two until the general election. Yes, the economy will be a bit crap, and public services suffer, but
    subconsciously I'm essentially expecting
    nothing that dramatic will happen.

I agree.

1% chance of that. Far too many aren't with the
    programme before the pain has even started.
    You have hit the nail on the head here re Rishi.

Many on here - as well as the commentariat - are saying how Johnson winning the contest would split the Tory party.

But what many are missing - and I suspect because their dislike of BJ is overwhelming their rational capabilities and / or they are viewing the Tory party through their own well-off, middle class lens - is that the chances of a split are maybe even higher with Rishi as leader.

The attack lines against Rishi are already written as you note - rich, smug, non-tax paying wife, didn't declare his Green Card (how do people think that's not an issue? oh, because it's the sort of thing they might do themselves). Labour would love it. More to the point, Farage et al would point to the "Globalists" now running the Tory party.

In that scenario, it's easy to see the populist wing decide to take their chances with a new Farage-influenced movement with possibly Johnson at its head. Would they keep many seats? Probably not but the damage would be done.

The attacks are there for Rushi and he will lose, but less chance of a split. He wont drive actual MPs out.
    Not so sure. Sunak's enemies in the party are nasty nasty people, whereas Johnson's enemies aren't. Their "trouble per capita" quotient is much higher therefore the aggregate trouble caused (by them) could be off the scale.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,377
    MattW said:

Boris on good form at the 8am meeting with MPs. Fly was done up, only asked four people for cash, ok he spent the first half of the meeting talking about that treehouse, but the rest was a rousing story about Caligula. Has 2000 MPs backing him now ✅🇬🇧

Morning all.

Treehouse?
    (Checks)

Ah Junior Boris' version of Putin's Dacha.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

Hows this for nuts..... Boris is on 99 Monday lunchtime and Liz restores the whip to Pincher

Or Hunt twists her arm and she removes it from, say, 50 Boris backers.
  • Options
    16 an over for three overs, one bowled by Harris Rauf.

That ain't happening.

If they win, I'll gracefully accept I continue to be the second most impressive inverse cricket tipster on PB.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

etc.

Calling the Scottish Nationalists "Scottish Nationalists" really winds them up for some reason, even though that's exactly what they are...
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It is incredible no surprise at all that Johnson's ego is so big he'd risk the destruction of the Conservative Party.
    I'm hoping a lot of my fellow Conservatives are realising what a deeply unpleasant and morally bankrupt individual he is.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

I like that post. You have made a gut reaction based upon an opinion that is based upon reasonable assumptions, whether others agree with it or not. I think it is sound personally.

You did a nice one earlier (I don't know whether I liked it or not) where you actually said 'my gut reaction' based upon a hypothetical polls mean you thought something or other.

There is nothing wrong with hypothetical polls if you treat them as such, so it is unfair of me to suggest they are complete nonsense, but they should be treated with a great deal of scepticism and we do need to identify in each case why they may be flawed (eg, events we know will happen afterwards that the poll respondent doesn't, polls comparing unknown people with well known people, polls where you see the result is actually wrong and therefore you know must be flawed but don't know why (people taking antidepressants being out by a factor of 10, IQ levels of underdeveloped countries being clearly wrong, etc).

You often treat them as fact. They are statistically correct within the parameters of the question, but there is the old saying garbage in garbage out. In fairness in your last two examples were excellent uses of hypothetical polls.
    Alarming with HY is how high he often manages to push the GO:GI ratio.
  • Options
    Anyway, I think it's too late for Penny now, whatever happens - even if Boris withdraws, so have now laid her down to the max.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited October 2022
    I thought Shapps was reported yesterday as a Johnson supporter?

We need someone who can provide stability and proven economic competence in these challenging times, and @RishiSunak is that person. That's why I'm backing him in the Conservative leadership contest

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1584127509997981696
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That ain't happening.

If they win, I'll gracefully accept I continue to be the second most impressive inverse cricket tipster on PB.

Rauf has been superb. Indeed Pakistan's death bowling has been excellent. 50 up again for Koli but he is going to have to accelerate to an incredible extent here.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,249
    If the rumour is true that Penny Mordaunt is doing a deal with Boris then we really are entering a horrendous situation.

All sensible people need to pray that Boris doesn't make it to 100.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976
    RobCL said:

Brands is not a cheap circuit if you make a mistake.

I think it's my favourite UK circuit for car trackdays but they rarely do them on the full GP circuit. I've seen loads of people bin their shit at Sheene. That unsighted uphill approach just draws you in, upsets brake balance and the tightening radius finishes the job off. It's very different from the modern Tilkedromes.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

**** business.

Better late than never - and welcome. We meet on Wednesdays at mine. 6 pm.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

That ain't happening.

Rauf has been superb. Indeed Pakistan's death bowling has been excellent. 50 up again for Koli but he is going to have to accelerate to an incredible extent here.
    Now you and I have opined, India should be odds-on to win.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

... BOOM

36% with Johnson or 35% with Sunak though on the JL Partners poll
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Andy_JS said:

It is incredible no surprise at all that Johnson's ego is so big he'd risk the destruction of the Conservative Party.
    I'm hoping a lot of my fellow Conservatives are realising what a deeply unpleasant and morally bankrupt individual he is.
    Better late than never.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,719
    Heathener said:

If the rumour is true that Penny Mordaunt is doing a deal with Boris then we really are entering a horrendous situation.

Her supporters aren’t going to move in big numbers to Johnson .
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Where is this rumour coming from?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

... BOOM

36% with Johnson or 35% with Sunak though on the JL Partners poll
    Do you belive those figures if the party is openly split?

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,140
    Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    14m
    AS of now, I understand that
    @BorisJohnson
    is struggling to get the numbers. “I think he’s finished” says one backbencher who was asked for support. Still too early to say tho!!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

That ain't happening.

Now you and I have opined, India should be odds-on to win.
    16 off that over with 3x4 and its only par. It's all on the 19th which will surely be Rauf.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    Lot of polling data floating around. But one interesting one that is being shared amongst Tory MPs is on management of the economy. Most people obviously think that will be the key election battleground issue. Shows Rishi ahead of Boris by 20 points amongst all voters...

.and by 17 points amongst 2019 Tory voters. Clear from Rishi's statement that economic competence is going to be his defining argument, and that he thinks that's how he neutralises the "Boris has the electoral X-factor" line.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1584146368058126337
  • Options

Is this from "Dudders"?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    All rumours need to be taken with a pinch of salt. The only thing that’s certain is that this is no way to run a country.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,846
    Lot of polling data floating around. But one interesting one that is being shared amongst Tory MPs is on management of the economy. Most people obviously think that will be the key election battleground issue. Shows Rishi ahead of Boris by 20 points amongst all voters...

...and by 17 points amongst 2019 Tory voters. Clear from Rishi's statement that economic competence is going to be his defining argument, and that he thinks that's how he neutralises the "Boris has the electoral X-factor" line.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,527
    MaxPB said:

I think as we get closer to the deadline more and more Boris supporters will start begging for votes from colleagues and we'll get editorials insisting that members be allowed to have their say and what an outrage it would be if MPs acted in a manner contrary to that by not giving Boris enough votes.

The Times tracker has Boris on 55, he's been stuck around that number since Friday evening. If the needle doesn't move today I fully expect JRM and Nadine to have pieces tomorrow morning calling the 100 threshold a fix for Rishi and lashing out at MPs for not giving Boris enough support.

The 100 is a fix for Rishi, one I wholeheartedly support!
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Not a rumour I have heard....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Where is this rumour coming from?
    Her (on PB)!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

...and by 17 points amongst 2019 Tory voters. Clear from Rishi's statement that economic competence is going to be his defining argument, and that he thinks that's how he neutralises the "Boris has the electoral X-factor" line.

It's slightly disturbing that there are people who think otherwise, although I suppose Sunak did build that reputation as Johnson's Chancellor.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    edited October 2022
    The killer point, rarely made, is that Boris and Hunt can't work together.
    Quite apart from the resultant political machinations, no Hunt means no statement to the markets.
    Which means even greater economic chaos as we get a fifth (? I've lost count) CofE in as many months.
    And another delay.
    It'd make Liz Truss' start look brilliant.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

If he gets 100 MPs to back him then he is entitled to go to a members vote with Sunak under the party rules.

If he doesn't then Sunak is crowned leader and PM by Tuesday night
    Yes, they cannot complain if he goes by the rules.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,962

Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    14m
    @BorisJohnson
    is struggling to get the numbers. “I think he’s finished” says one backbencher who was asked for support. Still too early to say tho!!

Time to book your flight back to Dominica. One way please.
  • Options
    Did I say that Harris Rauf would be difficult to get away?

I do hope he never finds out...
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    malcolmg said:

If they didn't want to be portrayed as a nasty nationalist organisation they could try not being a nasty nationalist organisation.
  • Options

Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    14m
    @BorisJohnson

That's really harsh. We'd miss @rottenborough if he left.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
    In terms of MPs this is turning into a rout. Where are the 100 Boris backers. When are we going to se them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Did I say that Harris Rauf would be difficult to get away?

I do hope he never finds out...

Brilliance by Kohli but still an ask in the last over.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    14m
    @BorisJohnson

That's really harsh. We'd miss @rottenborough if he left.
    You're too kind, sir.

• Options
    LBC saying Johnson still desperately scrabbling for the hundred
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LBC saying Johnson still desperately scrabbling for the hundred

Knew he was the sort of scumbag who would think it was a good idea. Perhaps he could join the ECB?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050

Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    14m
    @BorisJohnson

Where was he on holiday? I've heard Dominican Republic, Antigua and now Dominica! The latter is an absolutely beautiful country BTW, I would wholeheartedly recommend for a holiday but I doubt that that's where Johnson was.
This discussion has been closed.