Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Rishi now odds on for the PM job – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2022 in General
imageRishi now odds on for the PM job – politicalbetting.com

What a day and, as seemed likely overnight, Truss decided to call it a day and now we have another CON leadership contest with it all being sorted this month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    edited October 2022
    Third time lucky?

ETA: For me not being pipped to first. Could also be for Rishi though, if he loses out this time

And, more obviously, third time lucky for the Tory Party perhaps, if they pick someone sensible this time.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    "Liz truss I admire her for taking what must have been a very difficult decision to pull out and resign as prime minister"

:lol:
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    edited October 2022
    First. Like Sunak

Edit: oops - bad omen for Rishi!
    FPT:

Johnson shouldn't be allowed to stand:

From the Conservative Party Constitution Schedule 2 page 18.
    https://public.conservatives.com/organisation-department/202101/Conservative Party Constitution as amended January 2021.pdf

"RULES FOR THE ELECTION OF THE LEADER
    1 The Leader shall be elected by the Party Members and Scottish Party Members.
    2 A Leader resigning from the Leadership of the Party is not eligible for re-nomination in the consequent Leadership election."

Definition of 'consequent':
    adjective
    1. following as a result or effect.

This leadership election follows as a clear effect of Johnson's resignation.

You're welcome.

Much as i would like to agree with you I think this interpretation is wrong. If the idea was they could not stand in future elections I would have thought they would have used the word 'subsequent'. Consequent seems to me to refer only to the immediate election after resignation.

But fpor the sake of the country I hope you are right in your interpretation.
    I have no idea how many Johnson supporters there are on the 1922 committee but if a majority want to block him they are free to interpret the word 'consequently' that way.

Schedule 2 para 3.
    "Upon the initiation of an election for the Leader, it shall be the duty of the 1922 Committee to present to the Party, as soon as reasonably practicable, a choice of candidates for election as Leader. The rules for deciding the procedure by which the 1922 Committee selects candidates for submission for election shall be determined by the Executive Committee of the 1922 Committee after consultation of the Board."

• Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    Do we know if Graeme Brady is out of committee meeting yet?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    FPT

Boris? Leader again? Okay.

Well, if Micky Fab thinks it's a good idea, maybe it is.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    Pro_Rata said:

Do we know if Graeme Brady is out of committee meeting yet?

About to announce that nominations closed at 4pm today and he has received only one nomination, for himself (from himself) and is now leader?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    I fear that it will be Johnson - the second time as an even greater farce than the first.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    I fear it is Boris 2: This Time it's Personal.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited October 2022
    Nom threshold will be 100 - so three candidates max

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday
    MPs narrow down to two candidates - all MP stages on the Monday (?)
    Then member stages - quick binding online vote if there are two candidates
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

I fear that it will be Johnson - the second time as an even greater farce than the first.

The entertainment would be the damning report on Boris being published immediately - and his lasting less time than Liz Truss....
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,813
    edited October 2022
    Brady was the very first resignation from Cameron's shadow cabinet. Maybe everything goes back to that moment?! #strangedays
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    With a threshold of 100 I don't think Boris gets there. Rishi and Penny in the final 2, then Penny for the win.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "5:32pm
    'Campaign is go!'
    One supporter of Boris Johnson says his campaign to return to run the Tory party is now up and running, writes Christopher Hope."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/20/liz-truss-news-resign-pm-conservative-party-general-election/#update-20221020-1732
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

If the threshold is 100 there will not be any 'MP stages', just one vote by MPs - or no MP votes if only two candidates reach 100.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,224
    edited October 2022
    On-line voting??!!!

What could possibly go wrong......?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    dixiedean said:

I fear it is Boris 2: This Time it's Personal.

Boris 2, the revenge. Starring Nadine as Home Secretary. Mogg as Chancellor. And Andrea Jenkins as FSec.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    100 nomination threshold
    If you get three candidates, rather than the lowest simply going out, you vote again
    Unless the gap is less than 5 MPs, the second candidate is required to drop out.

What? They believe in FPTP, and have used the supplementary vote as well.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    - Brady confirms that candidates need support of at least 100 MPs to stand for Tory leader

- Berry confirms there will be online vote of the Conservative membership that wraps up end of next week https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1583134482793893889/photo/1
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Boris first PM since Churchill under 2 monarchs.

On-line voting??!!!

Waht could possibly go wrong......?

It's a terrible bloody idea.

Fingers crossed this is a lark, and the idea is they are confident it will be a coronation, but can claim that, had MPs not been unified, there would have been a member vote.
    Farooq said:

"Liz truss I admire her for taking what must have been a very difficult decision to pull out and resign as prime minister"

:lol:

Admires her for doing it before OGH goes on holiday more like.
    IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

So Mourdaunt or Sunak need to conspire to ensure one of them gets nearly 300 nominations. Doable.
    So does Johnson have 100 MPs to support him?
    If only one candidate gets over 100 MP votes then they automatically become PM on Monday.
  • On-line voting??!!!

ничего такого
    Ishmael_Z said:

Big miss there Ish
    TimS said:

With a threshold of 100 I don't think Boris gets there. Rishi and Penny in the final 2, then Penny for the win.

Boris Johnson received 114 MP votes in the first round of the 2019 leadership election and there are more MPs this time around. I think it's possible.
    edited October 2022

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

If the threshold is 100 there will not be any 'MP stages', just one vote by MPs - or no MP votes if only two candidates reach 100.
    Indeed. Brady said "all the MP stages", for some reason
    Apparently Thatcher, Churchill and Disraeli are standing.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    IanB2 said:

I fear Chrishti isn't going to make it in, again

That nomination threshold is a disgraceful scheme to nobble his candidacy.
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

Deleted.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited October 2022
    One big change that could influence things:

Once down to Final 2, there won't be time for an opinion poll of members to be done before most members vote.
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

I think he said that they would have an MPs vote between the final two candidates. Not sure.
  • So does Johnson have 100 MPs to support him?

You can probably double count a number of them for their multiple personalities

On-line voting??!!!

Liz will lose her password?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    I don't think I have seen a 5 thread day on PB before.
    Scott_xP said:

If only one candidate gets over 100 MP votes then they automatically become PM on Monday.

If two do and the runner up drops out the same applies
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited October 2022
    American Twitter is full of takes that Liz’s sudden ouster proves that UK democracy works, unlike America’s.

I think they should wait and see what happens with Boris first.

I think it could be close. How many wanted him all along (given that was most of Truss's pitch, call it 30-50), and how many regret his going, and how many think since they are losing anyway might as well let him own it?
    edited October 2022
    dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Deleted.
    No, you needn't; we're all pointing it out, feel free to join in. @IshmaelZ is working on his riposte.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    I was going to say why couldn't they have had an online vote last time. But at least the Queen was spared this at the end of her reign.
  • So last time, the final MP round ended up:

Rishi 137
    Liz 113
    Penny 105

Presumably Rishi and Penny get the nomimations, how do Liz's backers split? A lot of them were BoRIsWOzRobbED, but enough?
    Vote Kwasi.

American Twitter is full of takes that Liz’s sudden ouster proves that UK democracy works, unlike America’s.

I think they should wait and see what happens with Boris first.

Not a take I would have expected. It does show our MPs retain some power.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Anyhoo, Johnson’s drifted a bit on that
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No. Truss, incredibly, was PM under QE2 and KC3
    Another quiz question there. Which PM worked with 2 monarchs, 2 CotEs, 2 home secretaries in 2 months?
    Hilarious if no one gets 100, like those Brexit votes where no option passed.
    🚨SNAP POLL🚨

Five in six say Liz Truss was right to resign today

Right 84%
    Wrong 10%
    Don't know 6% https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1583136890404102144/photo/1

TimS said:

Boris Johnson received 114 MP votes in the first round of the 2019 leadership election and there are more MPs this time around. I think it's possible.
    Has anything much happened between times?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840

Doubt it. Looks good for Sunak to me. Otherwise Mordaunt. No other realistic outcomes imo.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    https://twitter.com/elenicourea/status/1583134715095420929

Eleni Courea
    @elenicourea
    ·
    8m
    Graham Brady + Jake Berry joint statement

— Nominations to be Tory leader close 2pm Monday — need 100 nominations

— Tory members get online vote

— Contest concludes next Friday 28th

— There will be one broadcast event so the public can hear from the final two

With members getting a vote - it's going to be Bozo unless less than 100 MPs nominate him.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    kle4 said:

I think it could be close. How many wanted him all along (given that was most of Truss's pitch, call it 30-50), and how many regret his going, and how many think since they are losing anyway might as well let him own it?
    The “fuck it let’s roll the dice, he does have something” factor.
    kle4 said:

Liz has to stay on?
    Suella Braverman, Wednesday:

“I have breached the ministerial code, and I believe in taking responsibility for my mistakes. Therefore I have no option but to resign.”

Suella Braverman, Thursday:

“You should definitely make me Prime Minister.”

Ishmael_Z said:

Big miss there Ish
    Ah

What I meant to post was, first since Churchill to have weekly audiences with 2 different monarchs, then I obviously overruled my subconscious which knew why the shortened version didn't work.

• Rob Ford @robfordmancs

So in theory could be three candidates come Monday. Who can get to 100 that quickly?
    Rishi (definitely)
    Penny (maybe)

Party's right wing will have to decide if they want to Bring Back Boris or back someone else (Badenoch? Braverman?) They can't do both.

That is a good point re Boris. The nutjob vote may be split, and I imagine the sane vote will go overwhelmingly to Rishi this time.

Fingers crossed...
  • The thought of Johnson coming back again, it is truly horrifying. It is like the scene at the end of Fatal Attraction
    Scott_xP said:

“I have breached the ministerial code, and I believe in taking responsibility for my mistakes. Therefore I have no option but to resign.”

I hate everything about her, but non-point.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    The online vote of the venerables will not take place imo.

TimS said:

Has anything much happened between times?
    As I'm sure @HYUFD would tell you if he was around, Johnson won the largest election victory for the Tories since 1987. Given they are 30pp behind right now I could see why that might sway a few people. I imagine loads of party members will be bending their MPs ears over the weekend on why they should bring Boris back too.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    kle4 said:

The Tories could ask the whole House of Commons to cast meaningful votes to advise them.

The thought of Johnson coming back again, it is truly horrifying. It is like the scene at the end of Fatal Attraction

more like Alien

The only safe option is to nuke it from space...
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Scott_xP said:

If Suella Braverman is the answer, what is the question?

Presumably it's "do you want to live in a quasi-fascist, police state?"
  • Scott_xP said:

She didn't seem to have a problem with The Clown breaking the code either
    Morduant and Sunak get to 270 between them and agree the one behind drops out at 1.55pm Monday in return for FO
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Big miss there Ish
    Ah

What I meant to post was, first since Churchill to have weekly audiences with 2 different monarchs, then I obviously overruled my subconscious which knew why the shortened version didn't work.
    Sympathies. Difficult for me to fully comprehend what you're feeling as I of course never make mistakes. ;-)
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

So Mourdaunt or Sunak need to conspire to ensure one of them gets nearly 300 nominations. Doable.
    Sunak, then, since that is Brownian.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Rob Ford @robfordmancs

So in theory could be three candidates come Monday. Who can get to 100 that quickly?
    Rishi (definitely)
    Penny (maybe)

Party's right wing will have to decide if they want to Bring Back Boris or back someone else (Badenoch? Braverman?) They can't do both.

That is a good point re Boris. The nutjob vote may be split, and I imagine the sane vote will go overwhelmingly to Rishi this time.

Fingers crossed...

Perhaps people who want to spike Boris should encourage Kemi Badenoch to stand.
  • Scott_xP said:

The thought of Johnson coming back again, it is truly horrifying. It is like the scene at the end of Fatal Attraction

more like Alien

The only safe option is to nuke it from space...
    Don't say that. Too many things all at once for @Leon to soil himself over.
  • Andy_JS said:

"5:32pm
    'Campaign is go!'
    One supporter of Boris Johnson says his campaign to return to run the Tory party is now up and running, writes Christopher Hope."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/20/liz-truss-news-resign-pm-conservative-party-general-election/#update-20221020-1732

Not being a lefty and being underwhelmed by both of them, I wonder which one Labour fear more. My instinct is they have so much ammunition to use against Sunak that they would prefer him. But is that right?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729

Grant Shapps will support Boris, so add a dozen to his total.

All Green?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008

So last time, the final MP round ended up:

Rishi 137
    Liz 113
    Penny 105

Presumably Rishi and Penny get the nomimations, how do Liz's backers split? A lot of them were BoRIsWOzRobbED, but enough?

It seems to boil down to whether more than 100 of Truss's 113 backers are certifiably insane. Who knows? But if forced to decide I would guess not.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    kle4 said:

I was just thinking that

• Rob Ford @robfordmancs

Rishi (definitely)
    Penny (maybe)

Fingers crossed...

Perhaps people who want to spike Boris should encourage Kemi Badenoch to stand.
    Yes, that might do it.
    Driver said:

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

Sunak, then, since that is Brownian.
    That racism detector bloke will be along about the slur against Brown chaps.
    Monday afternoon - MPs' hustings and then the MP vote in the evening
    The part of me that loves to watch the world burn would enjoy the (probably 5-20% probability) scenario of Boris coming back, seeming to trail through the election campaign, but then it being his face at 10pm on the night when the exit poll comes out.

Almost worth it to watch Twitter explode. It would be like 2015 x 100.
  • Jonathan said:

Vote Kwasi.

I think it is a certainty that he has the credentials to be Boris Johnson's CoE
    edited October 2022
    TOPPING said:

Great stat on BBC's PM. The last Cons leadership contest lasted longer than Truss was PM.

A tough challenge for the next one to match, for sure!
    Made a joke yesterday that some will claim all this was orchestrated by Sunak.

That is genuinely the take of by (I swear real) Boris fan relative (whose first vote, ever, at 59, was the Brexit vote). Other highlights that the whole world is in crisis, they cannot stand Starmer (surprisingly strong on that one I felt), and Truss did what people wanted and the MPs stabbed her in the back (I'd say it was the front), and the Tories will be out of power for 20 years.

I should contact my Corbynite relatives, they're probably equally annoyed, for different reasons.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    kinabalu said:

I tend to agree except in one case. The nightmare/total chaos scenario is Boris scrapes past 100 nominations and gets into second place with Rishi getting 215+ in the final indicative ballot and Boris only just getting over 130. I think Boris would have no problem taking it to the members and beating Rishi.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

...and so will end his glorious Cabinet career.

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

I think he said that they would have an MPs vote between the final two candidates. Not sure.
    Yes, Guardian live blog have confirmed that there will be an indicative MPs ballot between the final two candidates, before it goes to the members.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    The members need to realise that MPs are not there to do their bidding. Selecting a Prime minister who will not command a majority in Parliament isn't going to work. How many Tory MPs have no confidenced Johnson or called for him to resign?
    IanB2 said:

Monday afternoon - MPs' hustings and then the MP vote in the evening

So much of this is going to be down to what hypothetical candidate v Starmer polls the Sunday papers can get in the field.
    moonshine said:

kle4 said:

I was just thinking that
    I know, I was monitoring your thoughts and stealing the best lines.

Yes, I can do that.
    kinabalu said:

Trade Unions are expressly forbidden from using such a system.
    Because of fraud.
    What happened to Finland btw?

(The rumour not the country - calm down!)
    Scott_xP said:

Well we knew it was not really about the breach. And hasn't she already suffered enough?

No, he will back Sunak in return for keeping his post

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

Yes, Guardian live blog have confirmed that there will be an indicative MPs ballot between the final two candidates, before it goes to the members.
    Ah. So there won’t be an online vote. The runner up of that will almost certainly be persuaded to pull out.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,113

Jonathan said:

Vote Kwasi.

I think it is a certainty that he has the credentials to be Boris Johnson's CoE
    Aw f***. I do hope not. At least the Japanese only tried the Kamikaze once.

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Trade Unions are expressly forbidden from using such a system.
    Because of fraud.
    GCHQ to CCHQ: "No. Just no!"
This discussion has been closed.