Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi now odds on for the PM job – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4 said:

Made a joke yesterday that some will claim all this was orchestrated by Sunak.

That is genuinely the take of by (I swear real) Boris fan relative (whose first vote, ever, at 59, was the Brexit vote). Other highlights that the whole world is in crisis, they cannot stand Starmer (surprisingly strong on that one I felt), and Truss did what people wanted and the MPs stabbed her in the back (I'd say it was the front), and the Tories will be out of power for 20 years.

I should contact my Corbynite relatives, they're probably equally annoyed, for different reasons.

I think the 20 years thing might be about right. Add another 10 to that if the Clown makes a come back
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"5:32pm
    'Campaign is go!'
    One supporter of Boris Johnson says his campaign to return to run the Tory party is now up and running, writes Christopher Hope."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/20/liz-truss-news-resign-pm-conservative-party-general-election/#update-20221020-1732

Not being a lefty and being underwhelmed by both of them, I wonder which one Labour fear more. My instinct is they have so much ammunition to use against Sunak that they would prefer him. But is that right?
    Labour surely has more ammunition against Boris, but with polls as they are, I doubt they'll be sweating either way.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

What happened to Finland btw?

(The rumour not the country - calm down!)

Am I the only one who has no idea what this refers to?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Shadsy: "I think very good chance Sunak could get 50% of members"
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119

So last time, the final MP round ended up:

Rishi 137
    Liz 113
    Penny 105

Presumably Rishi and Penny get the nomimations, how do Liz's backers split? A lot of them were BoRIsWOzRobbED, but enough?

The Tories were just Rishi 125 Liz 113 Penny 117 away from being spared the last -15% drop in ratings.

You FUCKWIT MPs!!!
  • Options

Grant Shapps will support Boris, so add a dozen to his total.

No, he will back Sunak in return for keeping his post
    Surely he'll back each of the candidates, in accordance with standard operating procedure.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,728
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

The online vote of the venerables will not take place imo.

Trade Unions are expressly forbidden from using such a system.
    Because of fraud.
    Interesting. "Who runs this country?", as Mrs T used to say of the unions, is equally applicable to the Party membership. Neither was elected.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Nom threshold will be 100 - so three candidates max

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday
    MPs narrow down to two candidates - all MP stages on the Monday (?)
    Then member stages - quick binding online vote if there are two candidates

If the threshold is 100 there will not be any 'MP stages', just one vote by MPs - or no MP votes if only two candidates reach 100.
    Indeed. Brady said "all the MP stages", for some reason
    I think he said that they would have an MPs vote between the final two candidates. Not sure.
    Yes, Guardian live blog have confirmed that there will be an indicative MPs ballot between the final two candidates, before it goes to the members.
    Bozo 101 MP votes
    Sunak 250 MP votes

Members will still vote for the clown
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Rishi 137
    Liz 113
    Penny 105

Presumably Rishi and Penny get the nomimations, how do Liz's backers split? A lot of them were BoRIsWOzRobbED, but enough?

The Tories were just Rishi 125 Liz 113 Penny 117 away from being spared the last -15% drop in ratings.

You FUCKWIT MPs!!!
    Did Rishi “lend” any votes?
    To whom?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314
    edited October 2022
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

So does Johnson have 100 MPs to support him?

I think it could be close. How many wanted him all along (given that was most of Truss's pitch, call it 30-50), and how many regret his going, and how many think since they are losing anyway might as well let him own it?
    The “fuck it let’s roll the dice, he does have something” factor.
    Quite.

I thought my wife was joking when she told me Boris was under consideration. Starmer will be praying it's him.

If it's Mordaunt or Sunak, the Tories won't win the next GE but they won't become extinct either. The former would still be true under Boris, but extinction becomes a definite possibilty.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited October 2022
    biggles said:

The part of me that loves to watch the world burn would enjoy the (probably 5-20% probability) scenario of Boris coming back, seeming to trail through the election campaign, but then it being his face at 10pm on the night when the exit poll comes out.

Almost worth it to watch Twitter explode. It would be like 2015 x 100.

The BBC exit poll predicts....... an increased majority for Boris Johnson. Wtaf?! Is this right? Jesus.
  • Options

@Cicero reported a rumour doing the rounds in Finland that could bring down the British government. It was so incendiary that no details could be given.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

If the threshold is 100 there will not be any 'MP stages', just one vote by MPs - or no MP votes if only two candidates reach 100.
    I think he said that they would have an MPs vote between the final two candidates. Not sure.
    Yes, Guardian live blog have confirmed that there will be an indicative MPs ballot between the final two candidates, before it goes to the members.
    Someone in the 1922 has been reading PB.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4181508#Comment_4181508
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    MikeL said:

Shadsy: "I think very good chance Sunak could get 50% of members"

Too late to do any good, but if he's done a deal, it is possible.
  • Options

Something to do with sex. But disappointingly the PBers who claim to know are about as titillating as a 1950s film about a striptease artist with an U rating.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,810
    Best outcome for Labour is Johnson . Then Sunak who even if he does a decent job does have baggage .

Mordaunt I think would cause most problems for Labour and she has great hair !
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    biggles said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

Ah. So there won’t be an online vote. The runner up of that will almost certainly be persuaded to pull out.
    Seriously scuppers Johnson's chances if true.

Say he scrapes enough to come second in round 1. In round 2 he gets 120 or so and Sunak gets double that -Johnson's going to have to pull out.
  • Options
    It is clear that Mrs Brady doesn't want the members to have a say. It is "if". So we get nominations by 2pm Monday and straight into reductive voting until it is the final 2.

If it is Sunak and Mordaunt I hope that a deal can be done where she stands aside and he takes over that night.

But will MPs accept this? The ERG / mouth-foaming right will be incandescent at the "remainer stitch up" requiring 100 nominations. Will they pledge fealty to a Sunak government of Hunt, Shapps, Mordaunt etc etc?

But will members accept this? They voted for Truss, not Sunak. And not these remoaners. So Sunak faces a right old mess.
  • Options
    If the results are 250 Rishi, 101 Johnson, then members will go with Rishi.

But if it’s something like 200 Rishi 151 Johnson, they will go with Johnson.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

Rishi 137
    Liz 113
    Penny 105

You FUCKWIT MPs!!!
    To whom?
    The oddest vote was round 4 after Tugendhat went out. Truss gained 15 and Sunak only 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July–September_2022_Conservative_Party_leadership_election_(UK)#Results
  • Options
    The party will be taking a hell of a risk if it goes for Penny Mordaunt. She's still very inexperienced, and she didn't exactly cover herself in glory in the previous campaign. Admittedly she comes across well, but this is a time when what is needed is a grip on the complex nitty-gritty of government.
  • Options

Rishi 137
    Liz 113
    Penny 105

You FUCKWIT MPs!!!
    To whom?
    The oddest vote was round 4 after Tugendhat went out. Truss gained 15 and Sunak only 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July–September_2022_Conservative_Party_leadership_election_(UK)#Results
    Yes, which can only be explained by Sunak sending tactical votes to Penny at that stage.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

Ah. So there won’t be an online vote. The runner up of that will almost certainly be persuaded to pull out.

Say he scrapes enough to come second in round 1. In round 2 he gets 120 or so and Sunak gets double that -Johnson's going to have to pull out.
    No one's successfully talked Boris into pulling out before.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

I haven’t been keeping track..

Are there only 351 Tory MPs with the whip (or who can vote?)
  • Options

Beg to differ. Members will go with Mr J either way.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,627
    nico679 said:

Best outcome for Labour is Johnson . Then Sunak who even if he does a decent job does have baggage .

Mordaunt I think would cause most problems for Labour and she has great hair !

Particularly with something like Hunt as CoE, Sunak as FS etc. A return of cabinet government.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

No one's successfully talked Boris into pulling out before.
    Carrie didn't
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,996

It is clear that Mrs Brady doesn't want the members to have a say. It is "if". So we get nominations by 2pm Monday and straight into reductive voting until it is the final 2.

If it is Sunak and Mordaunt I hope that a deal can be done where she stands aside and he takes over that night.

But will MPs accept this? The ERG / mouth-foaming right will be incandescent at the "remainer stitch up" requiring 100 nominations. Will they pledge fealty to a Sunak government of Hunt, Shapps, Mordaunt etc etc?

But will members accept this? They voted for Truss, not Sunak. And not these remoaners. So Sunak faces a right old mess.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1582665358489669636?s=20&t=g1is5R42-IiZqyedJhlAEA
  • Options
    edited October 2022

I strongly suspect that Sunak/Mordaunt would quite like to provoke the ERG into splitting off so they can lead a united party into a GE and opposition
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

@Cicero reported a rumour doing the rounds in Finland that could bring down the British government. It was so incendiary that no details could be given.
    There was a wealth management fund in Finland that realised that the Uk defined benefits pension sector was sitting on a bed of nitroglycerin called LDI. And that as global yields climbed it was going to destruct the pensions sector and take the uk govt with it.

Presumably.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

That's why Johnson would pull out imo.

He cannot hope to lead the PCP through the coming economic turmoil if he doesn't have the support of at least a majority of them.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

More guff from Leon.. "she'll surprise on the upside"..damus, I fear
  • Options

The party will be taking a hell of a risk if it goes for Penny Mordaunt. She's still very inexperienced, and she didn't exactly cover herself in glory in the previous campaign. Admittedly she comes across well, but this is a time when what is needed is a grip on the complex nitty-gritty of government.

I am not sure that Rishi Sunak is exactly in a strong position there. Whoever becomes PM will need to lean in heavily on the expertise of Hunt. Unless The Clown wins, in which case Hunt will resign.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,591
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Because of fraud.
    Interesting. "Who runs this country?", as Mrs T used to say of the unions, is equally applicable to the Party membership. Neither was elected.
    Though that was Ted Heath.
    And the electorate then told him, not you, mate.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

I think you’re right. They need someone with heft and gravitas and even then, that person needs a senior team behind them to back them up. Mourdaunt is a bit weak on both fronts. Who is her Willie?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Carnyx said:

Something to do with sex. But disappointingly the PBers who claim to know are about as titillating as a 1950s film about a striptease artist with an U rating.
    I don't believe it, given the stuff about Truss which is common currency.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Rob Ford @robfordmancs

So in theory could be three candidates come Monday. Who can get to 100 that quickly?
    Rishi (definitely)
    Penny (maybe)

Party's right wing will have to decide if they want to Bring Back Boris or back someone else (Badenoch? Braverman?) They can't do both.

That is a good point re Boris. The nutjob vote may be split, and I imagine the sane vote will go overwhelmingly to Rishi this time.

Fingers crossed...

Perhaps people who want to spike Boris should encourage Kemi Badenoch to stand.
    Yes, that might do it.
    Anyone proposing anyone outside the big 3 is very transparently game playing.
    So expect Gove to go for her again
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    Both Rishi and Penny need to run now, because both need to conspire to keep Boris out of the final 2….

If either of them drops out and backs the other, pile on Boris, I’m afraid…
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Following that logic, I laid her at 4/1, the other day. She comes across, to me, as a complete lightweight.

I think it’s either Boris or Sunak. They’re known quantities.

Then again, maybe being the projection candidate helps her?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Deleted
  • Options
    So, once her successor is elected, will Truss stay on in the Commons? A by-election to come in South West Norfolk?
  • Options

In the interests of parliamentary governance, the rules of all the main parties should limit the leadership electorate to MPs when the party is in power.

In the interests of getting my vote again they should limit it thus all the time.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    Carnyx said:

It would be funny if it wasn't a vote to decide who was going to run the country - for at least several weeks.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Rishi 137
    Liz 113
    Penny 105

You FUCKWIT MPs!!!
    To whom?

Yes, which can only be explained by Sunak sending tactical votes to Penny at that stage.
    Or to Truss if it was Badenoch he feared at the time. That was the vote when Badenoch's momentum stalled and she was knocked out.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

In the interests of parliamentary governance, the rules of all the main parties should limit the leadership electorate to MPs when the party is in power.

Fair and reasonable.

And no one ask what the point of being a member is then and force me to put the party membership chart back up.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think you’re right. They need someone with heft and gravitas and even then, that person needs a senior team behind them to back them up. Mourdaunt is a bit weak on both fronts. Who is her Willie?
    Hunt could actually run the government, I suppose, but I have a feeling that Penny Mordaunt would want to actually be a proper PM and take some decisions herself, which wouldn't end well.
  • Options
    Will the members do the Tories' reputation what the trade unions did to Labour in the 70s?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Because of fraud.
    Though that was Ted Heath.
    And the electorate then told him, not you, mate.
    So it was - many thanks.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,591

Will the members do the Tories' reputation what the trade unions did to Labour in the 70s?

They already have.
    The question is rather what recovery, if any, is possible.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

In the interests of getting my vote again they should limit it thus all the time.
    Tbf, if a party's members elect a leader while they are in opposition then at least the electorate get a chance to reject said leader (and party). Compare and contrast J Corbyn and L Truss.
  • Options
    Mordaunt’s not up to it.
    I’m not even sure she’s up to a Great Office.
    Let’s get serious.

I don’t much like Rishi.
    In fact, I don’t like him at all.
    But I think he can do the job.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Because of fraud.
    More Heath, surely? He held the first 1974 election on a Who Governs? slogan. And got told Not you.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

He cannot hope to lead the PCP through the coming economic turmoil if he doesn't have the support of at least a majority of them.
    Hmm, iswn't that a mere detail? But you might be right.
  • Options
    Mr Peter Bone declares for Boris.
  • Options

So, once her successor is elected, will Truss stay on in the Commons? A by-election to come in South West Norfolk?

3 former PMs in the Commons? Fun stuff.

Her career is finished, her legacy that of a punchline, she might as well stick out the parliamentary term and pick up the paycheck - she won't be getting the big bucks May and Boris get on the speaking circuit.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332

I'm not sure Johnson can get to 100 MPs to nominate him.

He might have a high floor but a low ceiling. I'd say about 80 MPs.
  • Options
    Tbf to the 1922 Committee, they have clearly put quite a lot of thought into how to stitch this election up ensure a swift outcome.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    MattW said:

I don't think I have seen a 5 thread day on PB before.

Some of us "Old Contemptibles" remember ..
  • Options
    Been out for a couple of hours - have I missed much? :lol:
  • Options

Mordaunt’s not up to it.
    Let’s get serious.

I don’t much like Rishi.

Is that one of those non-rhyming, non-scanning poems?
  • Options
    Rees Mogg is worth watching (figuratively). Given his comments on a Boris comeback i can only see him declaring for Boz if he thinks its possible/probable
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

MattW said:

I don't think I have seen a 5 thread day on PB before.

Some of us "Old Contemptibles" remember ..
    Indeed, it got quite exciting when Mr Peel did in the Corn Laws. Two editions of The Times in one day, my goodness.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,996
    edited October 2022

Ishmael_Z said:

Tbf, if a party's members elect a leader while they are in opposition then at least the electorate get a chance to reject said leader (and party). Compare and contrast J Corbyn and L Truss.
    Labour in theory could elect a Corbyn in power too. Once candidates are nominated by Labour MPs then Labour members, registered supporters and affiliated supporters get the final say. Labour MPs don't even get to pick the last 2.

If the idea is the membership only chooses the leader in opposition and MPs alone choose the leader in power it needs to apply to both parties.

In 2007 John McDonnell in theory could have become PM. He wanted to stand and it was only Brownites bullying Labour MPs not to nominate him and crown their man that stopped that
  • Options

No; Liz Truss is still Prime Minister.
  • Options
    If Guido's spreadsheet is anything to go by, it's turning into a two horse race between Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak.
  • Options

No. Very boring. Not a train all day.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Labour in theory could elect a Corbyn in power too. Once candidates are nominated by Labour MPs then Labour members, registered supporters and affiliated supporters get the final say. Labour MPs don't even get to pick the last 2.

If the idea is the membership only chooses the leader in opposition and MPs alone choose the leader in power it needs to apply to both parties.

In 2007 John McConnell in theory could have become PM. He wanted to stand and it was only Brownites bullying Labour MPs not to nominate him and crown their man that stopped that
    It was how Ken Livingstone got power in the GLC....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,236

If Guido's spreadsheet is anything to go by, it's turning into a two horse race between Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak.

Sunak couldn't beat Truss in the membership, he isn't going to beat Johnson.
  • Options

Mordaunt’s not up to it.
    Let’s get serious.

I don’t much like Rishi.

I think she can do the job.

Keep Hunt as CoE.

If Rishi can be persuaded to chip in, even better.

Then she’s there to steady the ship and make collective decisions with the other two until the inevitable 2023 election when she gets a chance to run a campaign (which she like any Tory leader will lose).

She won’t have any flexibility to make significant policy changes.

That said I think if it gets down to Rishi vs Penny it’s likely he wins - the “I told you so” vote will be strong.

But I want Penny to do well because we need a candidate to keep The Clown out of the final 2.
  • Options

Just stay home for the next week, OK?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

Boris has never been one to pull out in the past.

Sorry I couldn’t leave the feeder line hanging.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944
    🚨🇪🇺🇬🇧🚨After Truss faceplant, what now for Brexit?

My latest Britain After #Brexit newsletter, in which I argue that — for all the lumps and bumps to come — it’s the beginning of the end for the flat-earther Brexit brigade.

https://on.ft.com/3CNI58k https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1583144861330350081/photo/1
  • Options

… which means PM Johnson
  • Options

Sunak couldn't beat Truss in the membership, he isn't going to beat Johnson.
    Dunno if that's correct - this is a very different political environment to the last campaign back in, err, the summer.
  • Options

Mr Peter Bone declares for Boris.

Very short memory
  • Options

Tbf to the 1922 Committee, they have clearly put quite a lot of thought into how to stitch this election up ensure a swift outcome.

8 days - not too shabby at all.
  • Options

Mordaunt’s not up to it.
    Let’s get serious.

I don’t much like Rishi.

My biggest concern about Sunak is whether he is serious about national security or whether he only thinks in terms of finance.
  • Options

I'm not sure Johnson can get to 100 MPs to nominate him.

He might have a high floor but a low ceiling. I'd say about 80 MPs.
    Enough of a stitch up to anger some MPs to quit in disgust?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

8 days - not too shabby at all.
    So why couldn't they have done this in the summer?

Twerps.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Concludes Fri 28 Nov
    Noms close 2pm Monday

Boris has never been one to pull out in the past.

Sorry I couldn’t leave the feeder line hanging.
    Fortunately he does have form for pulling out in politics at least, as in 2016. So perhaps we will be lucky.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340

Yes. In any normal week this would be headlining all the news bulletins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63327999
  • Options
    One thing we can guarantee - the return of the clown would ensure this story runs and runs, and isn't going to put a lid on anything!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Presumably in the (unlikely) event Boris became PM, Hunt would resign immediately.

That wouldn't really soothe the markets.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

One thing we can guarantee - the return of the clown would ensure this story runs and runs, and isn't going to put a lid on anything!

Which story?
  • Options
    Also if this can all be done by a nice quick online vote it begs the question why we had to have the interminable leadership contest over the summer.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    IanB2 said:

Send in the clowns. Where are the clowns? They're already here...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Be cautious trusting Guido’s spreadsheet. He’s clearly batting for team Boris.

The SS currently gives Boris 23 vs Sunak 18 & Penny 6

Boris includes 2x “A whip” and 1x “1992 member” (?!)
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,810
    The BBC seems to be desperate to big up Johnson’s return.

So we lose a useless PM to replace that with a pathological liar !
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    I think Sunak gets about 140+ nominations so the question is what happens with the other 215 or so. Three basic scenarios:

(1) They split three or more ways and can't reconcile over the weekend and so he's coronated.

(2) They split evenly between Penny and Boris then there are three contenders. Say, Rishi 142, Penny 113 and Boris 104. Then I think Rishi lends Penny votes to knock Boris out. But he struggles with her in the members vote. Probably narrowly loses to her.

(3) Boris gets 122 nominations and knocks Penny out (who only gets 95) and its just Rishi v. Boris - then i think Boris comes second with the MPs in the final round and then wins with the members.

Safest course for Rishi in all scenarios is to ensure no second candidate gets the nominations. So his strategy will presumably be to try and "bag" 170-180 MPs and then farm 30-40 of them out.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited October 2022
    Has this been posted yet?

Brady said: MPs WILL VOTE ON THE FINAL 2 - so the members will know who the MPs prefer.

That is surely key.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited October 2022
    From a Labour point of view. I don't think we really care whether it's Sunak, Mordaunt or Johnson - much of a muchness, even though they're all quite different characters. Each of the three have strengths and weaknesses, and all are beatable. If you could be so good as to go for Braverman or JRM, though, I'd be even more confident.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Presumably in the (unlikely) event Boris became PM, Hunt would resign immediately.

That wouldn't really soothe the markets.
    That would be quite petulant from Hunt and negate any goodwill he gained by steadying the ship after Kwarteng.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Mordaunt’s not up to it.
    Let’s get serious.

I don’t much like Rishi.

Is that one of those non-rhyming, non-scanning poems?
    Haiku

Leaves fall on pavements.
    Next weekend we change the clocks
    And the government.
    Tory disarray
    Yet another crisis
    Entertains the world
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2022
    They've just run a clip of Matthew Parris talking about what Truss would be like as PM before she was chosen. He got her absolutely spot on. He said she was tin eared and wouldn't listen to any advice.
This discussion has been closed.