Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is this going to be Truss’s last week as PM? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,623
    Cookie said:

One thing is clear

1) Small State Libertarianism is dead
    2) Trickle Down economics is dead
    3) You can't buck the market
    4) The magic money tree doesn't exist

A pedant notes: That's four things.
    Multiple choice challenge and we all have to pick one?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209
    Nigelb said:

The periods that are a long time in politics are getting shorter.
    To be strictly fair this a report on last Thursday's QT in The Herald's email bulletin for today, so they're about as far behind the curve as one could be.

He looks sixpence short of the full shilling, too.
    Generous. Sixpence short of a sixpence?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    Wonder if we might see the Gov't fall with enough MPs crossing the floor ?

Has to be tempting for those in the most marginal red wall seats. Wallis will be the first I reckon.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,234

Telegraph Politics
    @TelePolitics
    ·
    9m
    Replying to
    @TelePolitics
    💬"Last night I was sent a single WhatsApp message from a prominent member of the 2019 intake of Tory MPs. The message said: Rishi PM. Hunt CX. Penny FS. And it’s a done deal'"

Still not convinced Rishi is going to be able to hold the party together as PM. Also Hunt has just indefinitely stalled the income tax cut he was gunning for in 2024…

But hey, if the Tory Party can get behind him let’s go for it.
    Too many opposed to Rishi (and it's an FU to the members) where Hunt was simply not wanted.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,503
    A party in Downing Street - very good https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1581965049278902277
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Liz Truss = Henry VI circa 1470-71
    Jeremy Hunt = The Earl of Warwick

Pretty grim outlook for the rest of the country, then.
    Have we a candidate for Henry Tudor then? Can't think of a candidate in any of the three parties with some Welsh origin, unless it's step forward Stephen Kinnock!
    By sheer unliklihood of getting the top job I'm sure someone could match Henry even if not Welsh.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,197

Pulpstar said:

What's really needed is a grand alignment of corp tax, divi tax (raised), employer NI (Binned), income tax so that the "structure above" doesn't affect take home pay.

George Osborne had the chance to fold NI and IC into one and instead kicked into into the long grass. Massive missed opportunity. Should be one tax payment, with a break down of where it goes on your pay slip.

And yes I know I know, pensioners, don't pay NI, but IC. But there has to be a way to mitigate against that.
    Oh that's easy - a different tax allowance / different income tax rate at 67 onwards.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,741

This was sent to Tory MPs a few moments ago from No10/11

It

- does not signal contrition
    - suggests PM and Chancellor here for "long term reforms"
    - praises the energy price cap policy without noting its been rewritten
    - blames global factors

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1581970922616999939

FFS.

Somebody end this please.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,026
    Nigelb said:

The periods that are a long time in politics are getting shorter.
    To be strictly fair this a report on last Thursday's QT in The Herald's email bulletin for today, so they're about as far behind the curve as one could be.

He looks sixpence short of the full shilling, too.
    Hapless is his new first name.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088

Pulpstar said:

What's really needed is a grand alignment of corp tax, divi tax (raised), employer NI (Binned), income tax so that the "structure above" doesn't affect take home pay.

George Osborne had the chance to fold NI and IC into one and instead kicked into into the long grass. Massive missed opportunity. Should be one tax payment, with a break down of where it goes on your pay slip.

And yes I know I know, pensioners, don't pay NI, but IC. But there has to be a way to mitigate against that.
    Pensioners used to get a higher tax free allowance didn't they? That would be one option.

Also, what about employer NI?
  • Options

One thing is clear

4) it does, but not forever, and dont try to plant another one.
  • Options
    "Half of what we advised has caused everything to be on fire, so it's even more important the rest of what we advised is doubled-down on."

Umm. No. Go away. ~AA

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1581970274437648385

It's here.. the IEA response... 🥁

"The government may have abandoned much of the central tax elements of their growth strategy, but that makes it even more important to get on with regulatory reform.” https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1581970274437648385/photo/1
  • Options
    I see we have reached the Total Lack of Contrition stage of the downfall of a PM.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

The Tory strategy from here is
    very clear: “It’s not our fault, it’s Truss’s, it’ll be tough but you can trust us to put it right.” They’ll be fully aided in creating this narrative by large parts of the media, so from the opposition parties’ perspective it’s vital to get out in front of it. This is a disaster created by the Conservative party, not one woman; and they’ll do it again given half a chance.

This seems to be the Labour line.

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1581956165583269889
    Truss is now an empty husk. Her party encouraged her economically illiterate irresponsibility. Only weeks ago Hunt wanted to go even further than her on tax cuts. Neither of them have a mandate from the British people. #GeneralElectionNow,/i>
    Hmm. Ive always been iffy on the mandate point, but if we're mostly returning to ore Truss plans and standard fiscal corrections then Hunt does have a mandate for that.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,943
    Pop quiz, which is Scotland’s largest trading partner, rUK or EU?

New: The Scottish Government confirms there would be “checks” on goods to and from England and Wales if Scotland was independent

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1581970407141552129

It also fondly imagines that the CTA remains in place…..something not within their gift…..
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,657
    Pulpstar said:

Has to be tempting for those in the most marginal red wall seats. Wallis will be the first I reckon.

Crossing the floor isn't easy. It's not simply a case of carrying on your old job with another rosette.
    High Peak's Robert Largan, for example, would probably not feel too out of place in a Starmer-led Labour Party. But the High Peak Labour Party is infested with Corbynites and would make his life unbearable, and do all they could to have him replaced by his Corbynite predecessor.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    darkage said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Jeremy Hunt has taken a wrecking ball to Liz Truss's tax plans.

*Says he will "reverse almost all the tax measures announced in the growth plan"
    *No longer cut dividend tax
    *Abandon IR35 changes
    *Won't cut basic rate of income tax, it remains at 20% indefinitely

What a moron - the IR35 changes were one of the easy wins in the whole thing which almost certainly would have generated more growth than they cost.
    @MaxPB 's calculation shows that they may have cost way more than was estimated - I would argue that they don't because tax avoidance is now into the oh boy area...

And remember it's not the tax side of IR35 that kills it for people, it's the lack of expenses which make working inside impossible...
    I also don't understand how a bunch of well paid employees working 5 days a week for a company becoming "contractors" working 5 days a week for a client now able to claim expenses and not pay employer's NI will generate growth.
    That was something that was already covered by the IR35 rules and the main issue was that HMRC were rubbish at enforcing it. So rather than get their own house in order and clamp down on that they decided to put all the burden onto end user employers who then took the easiest route of having no more contractors outside IR35 at all.

In 6 years I had two HMRC IR35 investigations (or rather my accountants did) and passed both by a mile. And yet as soon as the rules on who decided changed, my biggest client simply stuck everyone inside IR35. As have most of my other clients.

The upshot of this is one of three routes generally.

The contractors move overseas - so the Government loses tax revenue and the industry loses much needed expertise
    The contractors retire - so the Government loses tax revenue and the industry loses much needed expertise
    The contractors decide to become employees with another company - on much lower wages so again the Government loses revenue.

These are the practical results of blanket decisions which is what is happening because of the 2017/21 changes. As always what the theorists forget is that people will always act in a way that is best for them and their families. They have no interest in what effect that has on Government incomes and will always chose the route best suited to them. That is exactly what has happened in a lot of industries.
    Get your NI paid like other employees
    Your comment is gibberish.
    Yes IR35 is complicated, it isn't just a case of people not wanting to pay National Insurance. In some cases it can work that way, but it is wrong to generalise about it.
    IR35 is a mess because multiple people have fiddled with their bit within HMRC / the treasury without thought to the bigger / long term picture

The rules over expenses are a prime example - back in 2015 I explained that changing the rules for umbrella workers would create big problems when the next set of IR35 changes (which were obvious back then) came into place. And that was exactly what occurred in 2017 as whole teams of developers left HMRC / DWP in Newcastle because they couldn't afford to continue their weekly commute.

Within 6 months HMRC fixed the issue by outsourcing the work to Capgem / Equal Experts who then claimed everyone was outside....
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,117
    edited October 2022
    Any chance of a cabinet resignation ? . That would surely be the end of Truss .
  • Options

This was sent to Tory MPs a few moments ago from No10/11

It

- does not signal contrition
    - suggests PM and Chancellor here for "long term reforms"
    - praises the energy price cap policy without noting its been rewritten
    - blames global factors

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1581970922616999939

What about hard-working people who do the wrong thing? Slackers who do the right thing? Who is on their side?
  • Options

very clear: it’s not our fault, it’s Truss’s, it’ll be tough but you can trust us to put it right. They’ll be fully aided in creating this narrative by large parts of the media, so from thevopposition parties’ perspective it’s vital to get out in front of it. This is a disaster created by the Conservative party, not one woman; and they’ll do it again given half a chance.

True, but they'll be helped by the fact that Labour is in no position to argue that a party which has recently made a catastrophic choice of leader, but now claims to be reformed, can't be trusted.
    They've had years though.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

DougSeal said:

ihunt said:

kle4 said:

Genuine lol.

Seriously, barely seem her lately.
    Honestly think this is the only way forward for thr tories. Let Hunt run the govt and hide Truss away
    Who's going to do PMQs? International summits?
    Aubrey Allegretti
    @breeallegretti
    ·
    17m
    NEW: Liz Truss’s official spokesman says she will not resign as prime minister.

He insists Truss - not chancellor Jeremy Hunt - is running the country.
    Lol - Mandy Rice Davis rises from the grave.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,004

Keeping Truss hidden away in the attic isn't going to work. She needs to face reality and do the decent thing.

If the Tory's can't convince her to do that then we should have an election.

Now we see we can't even afford the energy price guarantee It would be in the Tories own interests to have an election and hand over to Labour asap.

The government in in a hole from which there is no way out.
  • Options
    If Truss does go our politics will be getting as ruthless as Australia. No worries about dumping leaders over there.
  • Options
    New- Just heard the Speaker has granted Labour an Urgent Question- labour is calling the Pm to come to the House
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,581

The Tories will seek to blame Truss for all this. But they as a party and a government are responsible. They all did it, not just her.

The Tory Party is guilty of enabling a lot of this lunacy. The fact Liz Truss was even spoken about as a credible PM shows you just how far they have gone off the deep end.

Listen to Hunt’s statement just now and compare and contrast to Liz’s press conference on Friday.

It is like a spell has been broken. We have been governed by people so patently unsuited to governing for so long.
    Which would be all well and good, No12, if the Conservative Party Membership were on board with all this, but that is anything but the case, as we know from the reports from Hyufd and others here about what the lunatics in the asylum are actually saying.
    I agree and another reason why the party needs time in opposition whatever happens to learn the basics again. It needs to encourage new members to come through and renew it. It’s very difficult to do that in government.

Unfortunately I suspect it has an almighty battle ahead of it because, absent a moment of extreme group clarity, I doubt its members will elect a sane LOTO after the party loses power. It will take time and patience (and decent folk staying the course) to steer it back. I have confidence it can do it - if Labour managed it after Corbyn then anyone can.

Well said, mate.

Good luck.
    Unfortunately they have probably lost me to fight that battle themselves - I could perhaps drift back in time. Right now I don’t think I can really see any alternative to voting Labour next time.
  • Options

From the farm:

The British people rightly want stability, which is why we are addressing the serious challenges we face in worsening economic conditions.

We have taken action to chart a new course for growth that supports and delivers for people across the United Kingdom.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1581966535836725250

Fuck Right Off. She said we had no choice. That Every Measure now scrapped was Essential for growth. That those opposing them were the Anti-Growth Coalition.

This is an utter farce now. Imagine her taking PMQs on Wednesday...
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,284

New: The Scottish Government confirms there would be “checks” on goods to and from England and Wales if Scotland was independent

It also fondly imagines that the CTA remains in place…..something not within their gift…..

I would think the CTA would be the least controversial thing in the negotiations - it guarantees they don't join Schengen, for a start.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If Truss does go our politics will be getting as ruthless as Australia. No worries about dumping leaders over there.

Will she even qualify for a picture on the Downing Street staircase?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,943
    NEW: Keir Starmer granted urgent question in an attempt to force Liz Truss to the despatch box this afternoon. Will she front up or dodge it?

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1581975905164853248
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,740
    Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

What's the point in Truss now, Hunt is PM.

We had Boris as a figurehead PM whilst Sunak did the serious stuff for years.

We still need someone to stroll about in Kyiv don't we ?
    The difference between the two, like Blair and Brown, is that Johnson really had no firm policies on anything, and therefore just let his Chancellor run the domestic stuff.

Truss didn't want to do that (and she doesn't have to) and installed key allies to drive her domestic agenda as well.

Truss then realised neither the markets nor the British public actually liked the things she said she'd do (even though the membership did) and is now a dead duck.
    How you can survive such an obvious undermining of your entire main policy is beyond me. It's even worse than May. She tied her mast to her Brexit deal and kept trying to ram it through. Here Truss has appointed someone to junk her flagship policies in the space of twenty minutes.

She's completely without authority and needs to resign.

However, the country can't manage another eight week Conservative navel gazing contest, which in all reality will take us beyond Christmas. So we would've had no effective government from end of June to 2nd January 2023. What a total joke.
    It might work for Belgium. I'm not sure it'll work for us.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,117

kle4 said:

Perhaps they’ll put a small picture in one of the toilets !
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

New- Just heard the Speaker has granted Labour an Urgent Question- labour is calling the Pm to come to the House

“Sorry Mr Speaker, Jeremy is busy in appointments until 3:30…. Oh you mean Liz? In that case I’ll just need to check with Jeremy, I’m not sure if it’s her nap time or not. Can you hold?”
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927

Has Brady got back to his office yet?

Perhaps he can't open the door due to the pile of letters on the other side.
  • Options

From the farm:

The British people rightly want stability, which is why we are addressing the serious challenges we face in worsening economic conditions.

We have taken action to chart a new course for growth that supports and delivers for people across the United Kingdom.

Fuck Right Off. She said we had no choice. That Every Measure now scrapped was Essential for growth. That those opposing them were the Anti-Growth Coalition.

It's peak popcorn time - a PMQs for the ages.

Heck it will be a PMQ for the ages even if Coffey does it instead.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,562
    edited October 2022
    carnforth said:

I would think the CTA would be the least controversial thing in the negotiations - it guarantees they don't join Schengen, for a start.
    Except Sturgeon has said that she wants an independent Scotland to join Schengen. No I don't know how that could possibly work.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,407
    It's arguable the entire economic problems Liz Truss has, stems back to her energy bill policy. Let me explain, in 5 points

1. During the zombie govt, due to leadership contest, even though it was blindingly obvious energy intervention was needed, no plans were made or promised

2. Yet campaign pledges on tax cuts were made at that point, possibly without factoring in the cost of the coming unavoidable energy intervention.

3. Liz Truss at the time also strongly poo-pooed handouts to differentiate from Rishi Sunak scheme

4. When they hit govt and it became blindingly obvious that intervention was needed. They needed to do it at breakneck speed, with urgent meets with the energy firms.

The only route without it being called 'a handout' was a universal reduction - the most expensive intervention

5. Yet they still went ahead with the other promises too, and the combination of both seems to be what caused the house of cards to tumble.

PS this is one take on it. I'm not in the inner circles of govt so some is supposition.

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/1581958794778591232
  • Options
    ihuntihunt Posts: 146
    Right getting very paranoid now. This is Tim Stanley in the telegraph

As for the Tories, Truss will be gone within days – weeks at the most – perhaps replaced by Hunt himself, who has none of Rishi Sunak’s baggage and does a good impression of a safe pair of hands. I am not saying there is a conspiracy afoot. There’s no need. Our system is ancient, sophisticated and surprisingly transparent. We have a way of doing things, old bean, and we make it gently inconceivable to do it any other way. This is the dictatorship of consensus.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I really think a number of Cabinet resignations is the way this ends.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Has Brady got back to his office yet?

Perhaps he can't open the door due to the pile of letters on the other side.
    The postman must be thinking of FFS not again, my back is only just recovering from the last time....
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,623

From the farm:

Perhaps Wednesday is one for Rayner. "So, Prime Minister... How's it going? Are you ok?"
  • Options

It's arguable the entire economic problems Liz Truss has, stems back to her energy bill policy. Let me explain, in 5 points

1. During the zombie govt, due to leadership contest, even though it was blindingly obvious energy intervention was needed, no plans were made or promised

2. Yet campaign pledges on tax cuts were made at that point, possibly without factoring in the cost of the coming unavoidable energy intervention.

3. Liz Truss at the time also strongly poo-pooed handouts to differentiate from Rishi Sunak scheme

4. When they hit govt and it became blindingly obvious that intervention was needed. They needed to do it at breakneck speed, with urgent meets with the energy firms.

The only route without it being called 'a handout' was a universal reduction - the most expensive intervention

5. Yet they still went ahead with the other promises too, and the combination of both seems to be what caused the house of cards to tumble.

PS this is one take on it. I'm not in the inner circles of govt so some is supposition.

I'd broadly agree with that take. It does show why Truss needs to go, she should have seen this mess coming, and yet she didn't.
  • Options
    Best way now to improve growth in the UK would be to rejoin the EU.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,483
    edited October 2022
    Seems like Liz Truss isn't the only one that doesn't understand international markets...

The financial future of South African cricket has been perilous for years as its cash reserves didn’t so much dwindle away as gush in a torrent of waste and mismanagement, so perhaps it should be no surprise that the silver bullet solution – the SA20 – isn’t finding things easy.

Details, of which there are many, aren’t the issue for the purposes of explaining the problem. The SA20 cannot succeed unless it is broadcast in India. The deadline for submissions of tender for Indian broadcasters was on Wednesday, October 12. None, apparently, submitted a bid.

https://mannersoncricket.substack.com/p/broadcast-bluff?r=7pe49
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,896
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Crossing the floor isn't easy. It's not simply a case of carrying on your old job with another rosette.
    High Peak's Robert Largan, for example, would probably not feel too out of place in a Starmer-led Labour Party. But the High Peak Labour Party is infested with Corbynites and would make his life unbearable, and do all they could to have him replaced by his Corbynite predecessor.
    I get the feeling Largan is very well respected by his neighbouring Labour MPs as well, he tabled a question a couple of months back at, iirc, PMQs with Rayner leading for Labour and she went out of her way to acknowledge and echo his input.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    38bp drop in 10y yields. Well done Jeremy, now let's see how quickly mortgage rates dropped vs how quickly savings rages drop lol.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

very clear: “It’s not our fault, it’s Truss’s, it’ll be tough but you can trust us to put it right.” They’ll be fully aided in creating this narrative by large parts of the media, so from the opposition parties’ perspective it’s vital to get out in front of it. This is a disaster created by the Conservative party, not one woman; and they’ll do it again given half a chance.

This seems to be the Labour line.

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1581956165583269889
    Truss is now an empty husk. Her party encouraged her economically illiterate irresponsibility. Only weeks ago Hunt wanted to go even further than her on tax cuts. Neither of them have a mandate from the British people. #GeneralElectionNow,/i>
    Hmm. Ive always been iffy on the mandate point, but if we're mostly returning to ore Truss plans and standard fiscal corrections then Hunt does have a mandate for that.
    Labour's strategy must be to quietly go through the motions without distracting the Government from digging its hole. It hasn't stopped yet, though the rate has slowed a little of late. Calling for a GE - which it knows ain't gonna happen - is the right thing to do just now. Substantive policy proposals can follow later once the digging has completely stopped.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,979

What a good time for them to release this. Presumably they will be hoping a lot of this is swept under the rug in the current context
  • Options

Think it's very hard to disagree with that.

While I disagree with @MoonRabbit that the energy cap has anything to do with the issue Truss finds herself in, the combination of the energy cap and the unchecked tax cuts was too much for the market..
  • Options
    ihunt said:

As for the Tories, Truss will be gone within days – weeks at the most – perhaps replaced by Hunt himself, who has none of Rishi Sunak’s baggage and does a good impression of a safe pair of hands. I am not saying there is a conspiracy afoot. There’s no need. Our system is ancient, sophisticated and surprisingly transparent. We have a way of doing things, old bean, and we make it gently inconceivable to do it any other way. This is the dictatorship of consensus.

So who will November's chancellor be? Back to Rishi again? Or someone exciting and new?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,813
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

This draws attention to another issue, the Labour party are still 'infested with Corbynites'. It gets forgotten and overlooked. People just focus on Starmer. The labour MP's and the party membership are potentially even more dangerous than the people who bought us Liz Truss.
  • Options

glw said:

One thing is clear

If this becomes political orthodoxy across the main politcal parties that would be a very good thing.
    The problem is that everyone is ignoring the underlying issue which is that the current ponzi scheme model of our taxation and benefits system is unsustainable. So whilst I agree with you on some of these, the small state bit is inevitable either by planned reduction or by inevitable collapse. Truss has caused huge damage by trying to force the issue in the way she did so that people believe they have to stick with the current system. They can't, not in the medium to long term.
    The model is sustainable if it is done properly. In previous threads I seem to recall you arguing for something like a Victorian welfare system. Now that is something that is *unsustainable*.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,668

One thing is clear

"One thing is clear", followed by a numbered list?!?

You could add that the credibility of Brexit is holed below the waterline
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,091
    Scott_xP said:
    What could possibly go wrong 🤔
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. Cookie, incidentally, if Hunt does succeed Truss, he might end up being Chancellor for fewer days than Kwarteng.
  • Options
    Told we will begin to see cabinet resignations with the next 48 hours.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1581978257628753921
  • Options

One thing going unnoticed, Labour response to the omnishambles budget was reverse a lot of the proposed tax cuts, but immediately spend that money on new things. Anybody like to ask them if that is realistic?

I think if anyone tried to critique the Labour party at the moment to deflect away from the serious mess the Tory government has put us all in, they'd be laughed out of the room.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
  • Options

People didn't want to lends us money cheaply to fund tax cuts for the rich. Quite why Truss and Kwarteng thought the people who lend us money, mostly based overseas, would be queuing up to do so was pretty weird but backed up by a load of think tanks full of privileged rich youngsters who have never created anything apart from hot air.

The details beyond that show their incompetence but not the core problem with Trussonomics.
  • Options

Best way now to improve growth in the UK would be to rejoin the EU.

Yeah man, like they will be overjoyed to receive us.

What you smoking?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,210
    OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

What was wrong with the tourist VAT cuts?

The fear was that with the UK out of the EU it would become very expensive. EU residents were not able to apply for it when we were in the EU.
    If the visitor VAT-free shopping is ready by Christmas, I will be - well, my wife will be - keeping the UK retail sector alive!

More seriously, the difference between the Sunak and Kwarteng approaches to this one small issue, tells you all you need to know about why Kwarteng was right and Sunak wrong.
    How would it have gone with people who are really struggling if the government then allows people to travel in from other countries and buy stuff they can't afford for 20% cheaper?

I imagine It's the political optics not the economics that has caused this to be reversed though I am sure someone will be along to correct t me shortly!

It’s completely the political optics. VAT-free shopping is a big part of what makes the UK such an attractive tourist destination.

Economically it should be a no-brainer for the Chancellor, the VAT lost on consumer goods for export (clothes, jewelery, electronics etc) is offset by both the increase in tourism, and by the revenues from flights, hotels, entertainment and other industries that rely on tourism - doubly so, at a time when that tourism industry needs a massive boost after the pandemic.

Instead, Sunak decided that the UK “couldn’t afford” to open up VAT-free shopping to EU visitors, so we stopped all the American, Asian and Middle Eastern tourists from also taking part, thus making the UK a significantly less desirable place to visit.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Following Hunt's statement (which I support) Truss has to resign today

And if she resigned today, who would be her immediate successor - Coffey?
    It is why I am green on Coffey next PM.
    An obese, chain-smoking cretin who treats medication like sweeties and makes even Truss seem a tad charismatic? You certainly are covering all the bases!
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,740

Pulpstar said:

Pensioners used to get a higher tax free allowance didn't they? That would be one option.

Also, what about employer NI?
    As you've already said, an extra tax free allowance for pensioners will sort that out.
    NI scrapped (Ers and Ees)
    Additional allowance of (say) 50% the PA for pensioners (so about £6k more).
    Income tax to 33%.
    A pensioner on £18k income will therefore pay NO tax.
    But a pensioner on £100k will pay quite a bit more. I'm crying, I really am. I'm sure £100k a year with no mortgage isn't enough to live on.......

I suppose if you didn't want to be brave, you could retain Ers NIC, but scrapping it seems the best option in the longer term.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It will be one to explain to future generations, certainly. "May was 2017-2019, Johnson was 2019-2022, Truss was for a few weeks in 2022, then Sunak* was 2022..."
    "Hold on, what happened to Truss?"
    "Well she wasn't very good. Anyway, yes, Sunak*..."

*To pluck a name out of thin air for illustrative processes. I still think he'll manage to peak too soon again.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,012

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m

Jeez. This circus never ends...
  • Options

People didn't want to lends us money cheaply to fund tax cuts for the rich. Quite why Truss and Kwarteng thought the people who lend us money, mostly based overseas, would be queuing up to do so was pretty weird but backed up by a load of think tanks full of privileged rich youngsters who have never created anything apart from hot air.

The details beyond that show their incompetence but not the core problem with Trussonomics.
    This take doesn't stand up if you do the maths.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ihunt said:

So who will November's chancellor be? Back to Rishi again? Or someone exciting and new?
    Fun fact between 1993 and 2016 ie 23 years there were only 4 chancellors of the exchequer....we have had as many in the last 4 months
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1581979173597630464
    As things stand (always subject to change): Liz Truss not keen to come to Commons for Lab UQ. Now battle to get someone in her place. Am told no ministers so far keen but Penny Mordaunt has said she'll do it

ha!!!! shes toast. Off playing farmy farm.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,175
    Cookie said:

ihunt said:

Maybe Kwasi will be back. He was certainly exciting.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,554
    glw said:

I'd broadly agree with that take. It does show why Truss needs to go, she should have seen this mess coming, and yet she didn't.

During the campaign initially her team were offering hope not handouts. They even went on TV, Jake Berry for one, saying as such.

She u turned that before she won the leadership.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,595

nico679 said:

I really think a number of Cabinet resignations is the way this ends.
    Aren't they predominantly loyalists? I am comfortable now we have a centre-right one nation Conservative Government, although I would very much like to see the back of Braverman.

On Radio 4, the vox- pop voters are loving this shiny new Government, suggesting Truss should be given a chance.
  • Options

NEW: Keir Starmer granted urgent question in an attempt to force Liz Truss to the despatch box this afternoon. Will she front up or dodge it?

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1581975905164853248

PARLY
    @PARLYapp
    The PM can’t be summoned to the Commons to answer questions by the Speaker or anyone else. The Speaker has the power to grant a UQ but it is up to the government who responds.

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1581977382889455617

So even if you don't want Truss answering the question, it's a political nightmare to resolve.

Why do I see a VoNC being request for tomorrow by SKS
  • Options

This take doesn't stand up if you do the maths.
    Lending is sentiment based as much as maths based. Most western economies were going to be doing an expensive energy package and the alternative of doing nothing was worse. The UK was unique in wanting to borrow for tax cuts for the rich on top with a bizarre tenuous at best link to growth and promises of far more to come.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It's a two pronged strategy.

The expectation is we get over 150 letters to Sir Graham, and the resignations push it to over the 179 magic figure.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,750
    edited October 2022
    Yo all me dudes. Or something equally street. What a farce!
    I see only two possible outcomes. Truss is gone before PMQs and a coronation takes place with an election to be pre announced for early June giving a few months to stabilise the economy and prepare, i cant see another winter election, but maybe late spring.....
    Or the Tory party splits apart into Hunt/May/Govites versus Spartans, Borisites etc and teams up with Nigel and we stumble into an election in short order
    Labour are home and hosed
  • Options
    Taz said:

During the campaign initially her team were offering hope not handouts. They even went on TV, Jake Berry for one, saying as such.

She u turned that before she won the leadership.

Exactly, and that made me think she would be more sensible than I feared. That lasted about two whole days, until we had the half-a-budget with no spending statement.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,002
    edited October 2022

A reminder, Mike's 9 day holiday starts on Friday.

I'm hoping for a quiet stint.

Thanks for the heads-up TSE.

I have instructed my Financial Adviser to liquidate all my shareholdings Thursday afternoon.
    Not enough.

Dig a nuclear bunker and go long on tins.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

It will be one to explain to future generations, certainly. "May was 2017-2019, Johnson was 2019-2022, Truss was for a few weeks in 2022, then Sunak* was 2022..."

*To pluck a name out of thin air for illustrative processes. I still think he'll manage to peak too soon again.
    If we are looking back from 20 or 30 years time, I do think Truss will be remembered. It was during her months that the Queen died and Britain discovered that its true position in the world was far less significant than everyone thought it was
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,012
    edited October 2022

What a good time for them to release this. Presumably they will be hoping a lot of this is swept under the rug in the current context
    In their defence - they pre-published the release timetable and headings for all these papers/announcements some time ago.
  • Options
    Once again, sooooooo close to figuring it out...

What an absolute shambles. A struggle to take anything any of them say seriously. We have been humiliated on the world stage and pretty much every household is now worse off. This once proud nation deserves better.
    https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1581979473473572865
  • Options

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1581979173597630464
    As things stand (always subject to change): Liz Truss not keen to come to Commons for Lab UQ. Now battle to get someone in her place. Am told no ministers so far keen but Penny Mordaunt has said she'll do it

ha!!!! shes toast. Off playing farmy farm.

Penny might as well do it as an audition for the leadership/great office.
  • Options

I have instructed my Financial Adviser to liquidate all my shareholdings Thursday afternoon.
    If Mike's holidays are market sensitive, shouldn't there be an announcement on Bloomberg?
  • Options

glw said:

One thing is clear

If this becomes political orthodoxy across the main politcal parties that would be a very good thing.
    The problem is that everyone is ignoring the underlying issue which is that the current ponzi scheme model of our taxation and benefits system is unsustainable. So whilst I agree with you on some of these, the small state bit is inevitable either by planned reduction or by inevitable collapse. Truss has caused huge damage by trying to force the issue in the way she did so that people believe they have to stick with the current system. They can't, not in the medium to long term.
    The model is sustainable if it is done properly. In previous threads I seem to recall you arguing for something like a Victorian welfare system. Now that is something that is *unsustainable*.
    No it really isn't. It was designed as a safety net but has ballooned far beyond what it was designed for. I have never advocated a Victorian system. What I advocate is what the Atlee government intended it for and nothing more.

The current system simply cannot cope as the tax burden needed to maintain it is unsustainable.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,002
    eek said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

If we are looking back from 20 or 30 years time, I do think Truss will be remembered. It was during her months that the Queen died and Britain discovered that its true position in the world was far less significant than everyone thought it was
    Given the circumstances, doesn't that go for any nation relying on credit?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The expectation is we get over 150 letters to Sir Graham, and the resignations push it to over the 179 magic figure.
    And yet @Tissue_Price amongst many MPs, is now contaminated by his association with someone way more toxic than Boris could ever be
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,021
    edited October 2022

Not enough.

Dig a nuclear bunker and go long on tins.
    Don't forget the gold, firearms and ammunition.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,750
    edited October 2022
    eek said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

The latter point is incorrect i think. We might not be big enough to buck the spivs, speculators and markets but nobody is. The interference from all and sundry shows how important the stability of the UK is to the world.
    Being shit doesnt equal being irrelevant
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Keeping Truss hidden away in the attic isn't going to work. She needs to face reality and do the decent thing.

If the Tory's can't convince her to do that then we should have an election.

Almost every politician will have gone through tough patches on their way up, and the strategy of keeping your head down until the storm passes very often works - provided you don't get caught out having told any lies. So it becomes hard wired as an instinctive response. But it doesn't work at the top as the stakes are high enough that there are always journos digging and public interest even long after. As the clown eventually discovered.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Once again, sooooooo close to figuring it out...

What an absolute shambles. A struggle to take anything any of them say seriously. We have been humiliated on the world stage and pretty much every household is now worse off. This once proud nation deserves better.
    https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1581979473473572865

Reality is hitting Isabel hard.
  • Options

glw said:

One thing is clear

No it really isn't. It was designed as a safety net but has ballooned far beyond what it was designed for. I have never advocated a Victorian system. What I advocate is what the Atlee government intended it for and nothing more.

The current system simply cannot cope as the tax burden needed to maintain it is unsustainable.
    +1 - working class families where parents are working shouldn't need tax credits to survive. Wages from their work should be enough for them to live on.
  • Options
    @NBCNews
    BREAKING: Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, to acquire conservative social media app Parler, the platform has announced.

The move comes a week after the rapper was locked out of his Twitter account and restricted on Instagram for antisemitic posts.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1581962335500935172
  • Options

@NBCNews
    BREAKING: Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, to acquire conservative social media app Parler, the platform has announced.

The move comes a week after the rapper was locked out of his Twitter account and restricted on Instagram for antisemitic posts.

I didn't even know Parler still existed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    China's apparently stopped LNG sales to foreign buyers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-17/china-halts-lng-sales-to-foreign-buyers-to-ensure-own-supply

That's suboptimal for Europe (And us) this winter.
  • Options
    Is Hunt now in charge?

Chris Mason: Yep. Pretty much... There's a view she's an empty vessel.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,483
    edited October 2022
    eek said:

glw said:

One thing is clear

+1 - working class families where parents are working shouldn't need tax credits to survive. Wages from their work should be enough for them to live on.
    At one point we got to the ridiculous situation where people on nearly top rate of tax were getting tax credits. Farcical system, taking money off people, then giving it some of it back after filling in a load of extra paperwork.
  • Options
    Gov source: "I don't see how she has the authority to govern. Whips are rendered pointless. But can't poss change leader AGAIN without going to the country. If we go to the country, I genuinely believe my as yet not conceived children will be at uni before we're in power again"
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1581982067071496193
  • Options

@NBCNews

So parler becomes a hive of anti semitism now....the world is falling apart
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,210

Scott_xP said:

How do they ever expect to get to 150 letters, when Sir Graham is bound to declare when he has received 57(?) letters, and hold a vote of the PCP at the earliest opportunity?
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

And yet @Tissue_Price amongst many MPs, is now contaminated by his association with someone way more toxic than Boris could ever be
    It would be interesting to hear from TP, who is definitely on the sane wing of the Party. I suspect his Membership was very pro-Truss.
This discussion has been closed.