Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bojo moving up in the next CON leader betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    I think there must be a reasonable chance already of an early ouster of Truss and a coronation of Rishi.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is just bizarre given the US commitment to freedom of speech.

Public-University Curricula Are ‘Government Speech,’ Florida Says
    https://www.chronicle.com/article/public-university-curricula-are-government-speech-florida-says
    The state of Florida asserted on Friday that faculty members’ curriculum and in-class instruction at public universities is “government speech” and “not the speech of the educators themselves.” Therefore, such expression is fair game to be regulated by state lawmakers.

“A public university’s curriculum is set by the university in accordance with the strictures and guidance of the State’s elected officials,” lawyers for the state wrote in a court filing. “It is government speech.”…

This is Orbanism.

Trump and the religious right caused the US to go mad. This is just another twitch of the Trumpist corpse.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2022

I think there must be a reasonable chance already of an early ouster of Truss and a coronation of Rishi.

IMO, the selectorate will not put an Indian in No.10
  • Options

They nearly did already.

One of the astonishing things about this fiasco is Truss’s utterly tenuous victory. Barely any Tory MPs supported her to begin with, and she won the membership with the narrowest margin since fuck knows when.
  • Options
    I am astonished, and angry, and amused, and horrified.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219
    This isn’t wildly different from Al Qaeda.
    Just lacking the virgins.

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1574058496324157440
    What is the Russian Orthodox Church making of Putin's mobilisation?

Patriarch Kirill said in his sermon today that soldiers dying in Ukraine would have all their sins washed away
  • Options

This feels worse than Black Wednesday back in 1992 (showin' my age)... it seems entirely self inflicted - who will go first Governor of Bank of England o KK?

Truss. I recall many on here telling me she’d surprise on the upside? In truth, I had thought she wouldn’t go through with most of the stuff she spouted.
    I have not been surprised. It was always clear to me that she/they were interested in power & patronage, not governance.
    I don't think that's quite right. Rather, I think Britannia Unchained is similar to Brexit in that a bunch of half-digested ideas from years gone by have been sitting on the shelf waiting for their authors to achieve power.

Liz Truss did show during the leadership campaign some willingness to ditch proposals that seemed unpopular and/or impracticable. Let us hope this continues. It is not to her credit that they got as far as needing to be dropped.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,189

No chance at all IMO. The next election will be Truss vs Starmer in 2024.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

This is just bizarre given the US commitment to freedom of speech.

Public-University Curricula Are ‘Government Speech,’ Florida Says
    https://www.chronicle.com/article/public-university-curricula-are-government-speech-florida-says
    The state of Florida asserted on Friday that faculty members’ curriculum and in-class instruction at public universities is “government speech” and “not the speech of the educators themselves.” Therefore, such expression is fair game to be regulated by state lawmakers.

“A public university’s curriculum is set by the university in accordance with the strictures and guidance of the State’s elected officials,” lawyers for the state wrote in a court filing. “It is government speech.”…

This is Orbanism.

Trump and the religious right caused the US to go mad. This is just another twitch of the Trumpist corpse.
    If only.
    It’s a corpse which could win the next election, and controls at least part of the Supreme Court.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I would have agreed with you until a few hours ago.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Conservative Party conference runs 2-5 October, less than a week away. Conservatives from around the country will meet in Birmingham and will inevitably spend their four days comparing notes on how well or badly the new regime is doing.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,734
    At least we won’t have another ERM fiasco because, erm, apparently we don’t have enough foreign reserves to even attempt supporting the currency the good old fashioned way.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Conservative Party conference runs 2-5 October, less than a week away. Conservatives from around the country will meet in Birmingham and will inevitably spend their four days comparing notes on how well or badly the new regime is doing.
    I’m tempted to go along and hand out free abacuses.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    The pound is now worth less, in dollar terms, than at any time in history.

Let that sink in.

£1=$1.0498
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,718
    edited September 2022

They nearly did already.

One of the astonishing things about this fiasco is Truss’s utterly tenuous victory. Barely any Tory MPs supported her to begin with, and she won the membership with the narrowest margin since fuck knows when.
    In July, MPs voted:-
    Rishi Sunak 137
    Liz Truss 113
    (Penny Mordaunt 105; eliminated)

If LizT is replaced before the next general election, it is unlikely the men in grey suits will want to repeat last summer's members' vote (and six weeks of blue on blue attacks). Either there will be a coronation of an unopposed candidate or the selectorate will be MPs only.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2022
    Nigelb said:

This isn’t wildly different from Al Qaeda.
    Just lacking the virgins.

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1574058496324157440
    What is the Russian Orthodox Church making of Putin's mobilisation?

Patriarch Kirill said in his sermon today that soldiers dying in Ukraine would have all their sins washed away

This sort of thing is one of the reasons I despise organised religion. Too often it is nothing more than a form of control.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    General Staff: Russia sends newly mobilized conscripts directly to frontline.

Conscripts do not undergo any military training before being sent to the war against Ukraine, Ukraine's General Staff said.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1574170287406567428
  • Options

This feels worse than Black Wednesday back in 1992 (showin' my age)... it seems entirely self inflicted - who will go first Governor of Bank of England o KK?

Truss. I recall many on here telling me she’d surprise on the upside? In truth, I had thought she wouldn’t go through with most of the stuff she spouted.
    I have not been surprised. It was always clear to me that she/they were interested in power & patronage, not governance.
    I don't think that's quite right. Rather, I think Britannia Unchained is similar to Brexit in that a bunch of half-digested ideas from years gone by have been sitting on the shelf waiting for their authors to achieve power.

Liz Truss did show during the leadership campaign some willingness to ditch proposals that seemed unpopular and/or impracticable. Let us hope this continues. It is not to her credit that they got as far as needing to be dropped.
    As far as I can tell, Ms Truss has no actual political principles. She just jumps on whatever bandwagon that will move her upwards to where she can shine in glory for all to admire.

The only difference between her and Boris seems to be that he wants to rake in money and she wants to rake in adoration. Neither of them are any use to the rest of us.
  • Options
    ping said:

Let that sink in.

£1=$1.0498

Daily Express:
    “Truss Pledges to Build World Beating Economy”
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Can we all hope and pray this finally puts a nail in the coffin of both the daily Mail and express? And the scores of rabid right wingers like Redwood and co who seem to cheer this lunacy on
  • Options

Can we all hope and pray this finally puts a nail in the coffin of both the daily Mail and express? And the scores of rabid right wingers like Redwood and co who seem to cheer this lunacy on

Not a chance. The Mail and the Express will blame it on either saboteurs or the fact that the govt did not swing far enough to the right. They will never blame themselves or the politicians they promote
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ping said:

Let that sink in.

£1=$1.0498

Daily Express:
    “Truss Pledges to Build World Beating Economy”
    Well, it should make exports cheaper....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I concur.
  • Options
    ping said:

Let that sink in.

£1=$1.0498

The Thirteen colonies were too wee, too daft and too poor too.
  • Options
    Latest results from Italy:

The right-wing coalition is on 44.4% with about 80% counted.

https://elezioni.interno.gov.it/camera/scrutini/20220925/scrutiniCI
  • Options

What lunacy are you talking about — getting rid of the 45% income tax bracket?
  • Options
    Tumbling gas prices on track to slash £60bn cost of energy bailout
    Successful efforts to fill gas storage could halve prices by early next year

Britain's energy bills freeze could prove much less costly than feared by early next year, as City forecasters predict that gas prices will plunge this winter following a successful scramble across Europe to fill reserves.

A halving in gas prices in the coming months would push average household bills below the £2,500 limit set by the Government’s Energy Price Guarantee, slashing the cost of the intervention, according to estimates by Deutsche Bank.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/09/25/tumbling-gas-prices-track-slash-60bn-cost-energy-bailout/ (£££)
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    BBC 5 live wake up to money. If I heard it right…

UK 10 year gilt 5.8% - up from 3.8% on Friday night.

The Tories have fucked our country.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited September 2022
    The budget was bad enough, but the total absence of the publication of independent forecasts to go with it is what has made it ten times worse. In their absence the markets are just drawing their own conclusions about what they must say...
  • Options
    That 5.8% 10 year gilt rate… can’t be right, surely?

I can’t find any live quotes for this. Anyone have a Bloomberg terminal?
  • Options
    ping said:

“It’s just a little bit of extra Govt borrowing. Just like Covid”.

JHC.
  • Options
    Tom Scholar the Permanent Sec at Treasury who was sacked by KK just weeks ago must be feeling vindicated.....I wonder if he can be tempted back?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    alex_ said:

ping said:

“It’s just a little bit of extra Govt borrowing. Just like Covid”.

JHC.
    The strangers have become a little less kind, of late.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The budget was bad enough, but the total absence of the publication of independent forecasts to go with it is what has made it ten times worse. In their absence the markets are just drawing their own conclusions about what they must say...

Also Kwarteng’s comments (in effect) that the Govt has no role to play in reducing inflation and that’s all on the BoE (with the limited tools it has available), even if Govt policy is actively working against them.

(although (with hindsight?) it is clear that the BoE was behind the curve and should have been more aggressive a long time ago...)
  • Options
    I'm not sure Truss has the votes to get her budget through unless she changes tack.

A small minority of MPs went for her, and she's appointed nothing but her friends to Government.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    "the Govt has no role to play in reducing inflation"

I assume Bailey, and I'm no fan, guessed the government might follow a sane fiscal plan ?
  • Options

I'm not sure Truss has the votes to get her budget through unless she changes tack.

A small minority of MPs went for her, and she's appointed nothing but her friends to Government.

How much of it requires primary legislation? The short-time frame for things like the National insurance change (which is presumably a bit more complicated as an in-year change) means that payroll systems etc will be being provisionally updated much in advance of any legislation being passed).
  • Options

It is an interesting exercise in seeing how far party loyalty can go.
    If we ignore the collateral damage.
  • Options
    Must be two schools of thought amongst Tory MPs
    Those who actively want this nonsense
    Those who assumed Truss would be a touch looser fiscally than Sunak but might have half an eye on keeping Britain solvent.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"the Govt has no role to play in reducing inflation"

I assume Bailey, and I'm no fan, guessed the government might follow a sane fiscal plan ?

Even, still, inflation was running hot even before the latest blowup. Problem I guess is that the BoE remit these days (from memory) has arguably contradictory objectives these days and they have spent too long concentrating on the bits that don’t involve control of inflation. Bits that the Govt should have been taking greater responsibility for.

One little thing that I (inexpert that I am) always thought would come back to bite was the Osborne “trick” of banking the interest that BoE earned on Govt bonds (under QE) back to the Treasury. Now BoE is seeking to unwind the size of its balance sheet isn’t that now an extra cost that the Govt is facing? (or was that always a backward looking thing not accounted for in future forecasts - the banking of the interest?).
  • Options
    I'd have lost 2 grand if Sunak had won in the end, and won 900 when Truss won.
    Would probably have been better off overall losing the 2 grand tbh
  • Options
    Two more years of these lunatics running things. We may never recover from the damage they’ll do.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Those who assumed Truss would be a touch looser fiscally than Sunak but might have half an eye on keeping Britain solvent.

Most likely thing is Truss sets out a plan to keep Britain solvent in the next few days and submits to the OBR, and others, for scrutiny.

But, she's also very obstinate and probably thinks the markets are wrong so I wouldn't bet on that.
  • Options
    There will be an awful lot of bankruptcies if the business energy price support does not go through.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Nigelb said:

How does this compare with the early Thatcher experiment with monetarism? Didn’t she change tack pretty quickly then?

It’s a shame that so many conclusions were drawn from Johnson’s ouster than the right one. That, politically, the problem was fundamentally Johnson himself, and by extension his style of Govt. Not actually his policies. Nothing in Johnson’s collapse in the polls and subsequent removal necessitated a complete 180 in Govt political philosophy and policy. The quote above about Truss abandoning a platform that brought a majority of 80 to pursue the seven libertarian voters in the country is telling.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,876
    Pro_Rata said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

So it looks like Italy has elected a female Farage as its new PM and will rely on Berlusconi, the Italian Boris, to be the moderate influence in the rightwing coalition government between Brothers of Italy, Lega Nord and Forza Italia. Except on Ukraine of course where Meloni is the most anti Putin leader of the 3 right of centre parties

Although Sky Italy was just pointing out that Brothers of Italy and the Lega might have an overall majority between them without Berlusconi's party.
    The projection is all 3 parties are needed, LN/ FdI is about 178, 22 short.

Looking at Greater Naples, aka Campania 01. M5S were predicted not to get a single constituency seat by most prior models, but they've nationally gone from 11% to the 16% where they were just on the cusp of sneaking the odd one, to the point where they look like winning 5 or possibly 6 of the 7 Greater Naples constituencies on 45% of the vote.

Mostly taken from the centre right.

From the Sky predicted 29 M5S/27 Left/25 Right in Fuorigrotta, the actual count. around halfway, sits at 40 / 24/ 21 to M5S - Di Maio is being trounced.

Will be a small but potentially useful bite out of the arse of Meloni's majority.
    Selected regional constituency picture has ended up:

M5S to win all 7 Greater Naples seats (the electoral commission has confirmed 4 with all boxes counted. but most other seats are at 99% + of boxes counted)
    Emilia: Right 7 seats. Left 3 seats, Carpi still tctc going into last boxes (left lead)
    Tuscany: Right 7 seats. Left 2 seats

• Options
    The sinking currency is making the govt energy plan more expensive by the minute
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Pulpstar said:

The sinking currency is making the govt energy plan more expensive by the minute

And they’re going to have to pay through the nose to borrow the money to pay for it.

Lets hope the gas price futures crash in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I'm not seeing how this Budget is sold in Tory held Red wall seats - which arent known for their high rate tax payers, whilst the sting is taken out of gas, a collapsing pound will drive up fuel costs and the optics of frozen NHS /[public sector pay whilst millionaires do very nicely wont go down well at all
  • Options
    ping said:

Pulpstar said:

And they’re going to have to pay through the nose to borrow the money to pay for it.

Presume that was the point of the comment!

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

They nearly did already.

One thing is, I think the parliamentary party can probably ignore the rights of the members with impunity. On the one hand it's a clear breach of contract to deprive them of their rights under the rules to elect new leaders, on the other, the courts are pretty much bound to say It's above our pay grade to say who is Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The biggest school of thought- getting on for seventy percent of MPs- was that someone else would be better.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

They nearly did already.

One thing is, I think the parliamentary party can probably ignore the rights of the members with impunity. On the one hand it's a clear breach of contract to deprive them of their rights under the rules to elect new leaders, on the other, the courts are pretty much bound to say It's above our pay grade to say who is Prime Minister.
    VoNC. Out by Friday. Nothing to do with the courts whatsoever. And even if under some far fetched theory the members had rights over who is Tory leader, they have no say in who is Prime Minister.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    £ seems to have recovered/stabilised a little bit (profit taking?). I wonder how much the current value is pricing in a near immediate Govt or BoE response though... If there are no statements forthcoming today, they may go in again...

One question is whether any other countries/central banks have interests in helping out the £ if BoE is unable. (Global financial stability? Impact on the city?). Or can they afford to just let the £ swing?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

They nearly did already.

VoNC. Out by Friday. Nothing to do with the courts whatsoever. And even if under some far fetched theory the members had rights over who is Tory leader, they have no say in who is Prime Minister.
    It's not a far fetched theory, it is basic contract law. And a vonc gets her out, it says nothing about who replaces her.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,032
    alex_ said:

£ seems to have recovered/stabilised a little bit (profit taking?). I wonder how much the current value is pricing in a near immediate Govt or BoE response though... If there are no statements forthcoming today, they may go in again...

One question is whether any other countries/central banks have interests in helping out the £ if BoE is unable. (Global financial stability? Impact on the city?). Or can they afford to just let the £ swing?

As someone once said "you can't buck the market"

• Options
    alex_ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

No. It would still be true if they were paying out of a cash surplus with no borrowing required.
  • Options
    Thank God we ditched the Treasury orthodoxy.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

They nearly did already.

It's not a far fetched theory, it is basic contract law. And a vonc gets her out, it says nothing about who replaces her.

The rules are set by the 1922 committee. My point was that they might have elected her leader now. They have no legal/contractual right to prevent her removal.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 814

The sacked permanent secretary to the Treasury must feel pretty vindicated.

It's taken politicians less than a week (excluding national mourning) to create a financial crisis after he was fired.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

The sacked permanent secretary to the Treasury must feel pretty vindicated.

It's taken politicians less than a week (excluding national mourning) to create a financial crisis after he was fired.
    Interesting background news for Reeves speech today.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

No. It would still be true if they were paying out of a cash surplus with no borrowing required.
    Can you expand. I know $ denominated oil becomes more expensive. But how much is gas/ electricity cost linked to imports, as opposed to internally produced? I presume your implication is a chunk of the former?
  • Options
    We’ve substituted government by second year university students for government by right-wing think tanks with dodgy funding. Neither has any connection to the real world.
  • Options

I can’t see the votes either. If you’re a Tory MP and you vote in favour, then your basically voting for economic disaster.

Will be fascinating to see European markets today and Tory MP reaction. I do not think there will be much loyalty for Truss
  • Options
    alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

They nearly did already.

The rules are set by the 1922 committee. My point was that they might have elected her leader now. They have no legal/contractual right to prevent her removal.
    No they are not, they are contained in the party rules. The 1922 Committee is responsible for the procedures by which those rules are put into effect, it has no power to - for instance - say This time we will make it MPs only.

I didn't say they had a right to prevent her removal.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The one funded by borrowing? Alongside the tax cuts funded by borrowing.. etc

Just sounds bizarre for a conservative government
  • Options

Is there a vote, though?

• Options
    The pound has not just fallen against the dollar. It’s down against almost all major currencies.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,178
    Nigelb said:

Conscripts do not undergo any military training before being sent to the war against Ukraine, Ukraine's General Staff said.

They are disproportionately recruiting ethnic minorities, including Avars from Dagestan, Tatars from Crimea, Ukrainians from the occupied territories. The point is to deliberately channel them into the mean grinder. This is ethnic cleansing on a massive scale.

Putin must die.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,178

Is there a vote, though?

The budget goes through an is enacted immediately by custom. After that, there is a Finance Bill. If that doesn't pass, it collapses the government.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Coming to this a bit late, but re the BBC and the funeral.

This was a state funeral paid for by the state ie by us. Ditto the accession councils and all the rest of it. The BBC is funded by those who pay the license fee. This was not a private matter and the BBC was not hired by the RF like some wedding photographer. So the entire film of the occasion is a historic archive not the private property of the monarchy.

I very much hope the BBC (and, if necessary, the government) tell the monarchy to get stuffed if they try to limit access or use. This sort of arrogance is what will do for the monarchy.

Yes and the BBC filmed the funeral and accession council and lying in state live and in full.

However the archive is an entirely different matter, as it was also a funeral of a member of the royal family they get a say on how much of it broadcasters can store and use
    Nonsense. If I filmed part of the funeral, that film belongs to me and the RF has no right to determine what I store and how I use it. No different for the BBC.

The RF cannot have their cake and eat it. This was a public historic and state event. The private family part of it was not filmed for the public. The RF have no right to determine what happens to films made of them in the public domain.
    I suspect they want to have an “official” DVD made in partnership with the BBC… all proceeds to restoring the palaces (so effectively tax payers). But they can’t say that as it seems so grubby
  • Options
    alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

Can you expand. I know $ denominated oil becomes more expensive. But how much is gas/ electricity cost linked to imports, as opposed to internally produced? I presume your implication is a chunk of the former?
    LNG priced in $ (as with oil, even if produced here). Electricity national pricing I do not understand, but is dependent on global lng price

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/electricity-explained/how-electricity-priced
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    I didn't know until the weekend that Odey used to actually employ Kwarteng himself, or how many Truss backers made shorting fortunes on Friday. The employment of Kwarteng was also actually before he was one of the key financial figures in setting up Vote Leave, too, it seems.

According to various sources Odey has pocketed a tidy 145 million in the last couple of days,..
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    There are no good options for the Tories from here. The only question now is, can Labour win an overall majority? I think they can, even without a big recovery in Scotland.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,586

Pulpstar said:

The one funded by borrowing? Alongside the tax cuts funded by borrowing.. etc

Just sounds bizarre for a conservative government
    In a way, it’s worse than Corbyn. At least he would have intended to spend the money on useful things even if in practice most of it probably would have ended up in his supporters’ pockets.

This is just more or less naked theft.

While pretending to give us money.
  • Options
    The market reaction this week was always going to be much more important than the immediate reaction on Friday because the weekend has been a time to look in more detail at the government’s plans and strategy. Whatever our politics, we all have to hope there’s a sustained rebound. If there’s not, it could get very messy very, very quickly.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,152
    I see the papers are already talking about our having to go to the IMF.

Pretty quick work.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Truss from 41 to 34 on Ladbrokes to leave this year. Narrow timing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Starmer is a dull and dutiful technocrat.

His skill is not in policy-making or in vision-dreaming, but rather in a kind of stolid mediation or arbitration.

We can already see that the Starmer years will be reasonably dull, and the far left will be disappointed, but the country will be fairer and more content.

He and Labour need to make sure he is surrounded by a top-notch team, but I find the current Labour front bench the most impressive they’ve had since the Blair years.

I think his campaign will be dull, vacuous and worthy, but he would have the skills to manage a coalition well. Something that Corbyn never could have done when he was way short of a majority in 2017. That gives Starmer quite the edge.

On topic, I cannot see the Tories dumping Truss before a GE. For better or worse they are stuck with her. No comeback for Johnson, indeed likely to ignominiously lose his own seat at that GE.

On topic of your on topic, all of a sudden I am not so sure - the herd have got a taste for moving, if Truss was hollowed out by awful polls, elections, scandals - for example as a betting site how many weeks do we think Fulbrook rides this situation before resigning - one more scandal on top and the herd will move, only this time no phase 2 members element. The bookies would make Wallace favourite once Truss is ousted, I agree with HY, if Truss goes Wallace with lead the Conservatives into the election - except for one doubt, he’s not that many weeks ago ruled himself out, why does that change?

I would have it 50/50 Wallace or Truss leading Tories into next election. Just 2 weeks in and she would already lose a vonc. Six months of awful polling and she’s out.
    1. It is far too early to say Truss is a failure.
    2. Boris is not coming back.
    “ It is far too early to say Truss is a failure. ‘

Too early to know the final score, but like a football team four down at half time and playing confused disjointed stuff, you can reasonably accurately predict how it ends up.

Six months of dire polling, slipping into 20s, then to mid 20s, and Truss is voncked. Gone. Yeah. I think we can reasonably predict that already.

Your second point. Fact is, If Boris had blagged himself into the contest like Corbyn had done when voncked, Boris would still be there is the truth of both the MPs picking top 2 and the membership vote that just happened. Instead of resigning he should have cut a deal as vonc winner to be allowed in contest. As Mike and the evidence in the header should educate you, Boris hasn’t gone away you know. Given a straight choice between Boris economics and Trump economics, the Tory Party would chose the former today let alone after six months of chaos and horrid polls.
    She has already chosen the arena she wants to fight in, 'growth', and unceremoniously hauled Starmer into it. I see she has also managed to get him to swallow most of Kwasi's mini-budget. This is within a week of politics proper. Let's delay the post mortem shall we?
    Starmer and Labour have been banging on about growth as the financial answer, as indeed have the last few Tory governments. It is the magic money tree that everyone wants to harvest but no one can find.

No budget is instantly met with a policy to reverse it, not least because there needs to be time to understand its effects, and no one writes a budget 2 years into the future.

So what you are saying is that (a) the tax policies of the last few years have failed to deliver growth; (b) therefore we should continue them
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

There are no good options for the Tories from here. The only question now is, can Labour win an overall majority? I think they can, even without a big recovery in Scotland.

Yeah, it's certainly feasible.

It's early days, but future historians may have to look at which party self-defeated the most: Labour under Corbyn, or the Conservatives under Truss and the latter days of Johnson (who was riding high in the polls until two years ago).

I'd argue the Conservatives have it worst, as they're doing this sh*t whilst they are in power. Labour at least had their lunacy in opposition.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    Nigelb said:

Tumbling gas prices on track to slash £60bn cost of energy bailout
    Successful efforts to fill gas storage could halve prices by early next year

Britain's energy bills freeze could prove much less costly than feared by early next year, as City forecasters predict that gas prices will plunge this winter following a successful scramble across Europe to fill reserves.

A halving in gas prices in the coming months would push average household bills below the £2,500 limit set by the Government’s Energy Price Guarantee, slashing the cost of the intervention, according to estimates by Deutsche Bank.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/09/25/tumbling-gas-prices-track-slash-60bn-
    cost-energy-bailout/ (£££)

If only this site has someone who has been pointing at the gas futures price and querying the alleged costs.

• Options

The market reaction this week was always going to be much more important than the immediate reaction on Friday because the weekend has been a time to look in more detail at the government’s plans and strategy. Whatever our politics, we all have to hope there’s a sustained rebound. If there’s not, it could get very messy very, very quickly.

I can’t see any sign of a rebound. In fact, I expect the pound to go still lower. $0.90 wouldn’t shock me at some point this winter.

Bottom line is, we are importing most of our energy while running an energy intensive economy at a time when energy costs even if they’re going down are at enormous levels. At the same time we’ve disrupted all our traditional trading links. Our balance of payments is a fiasco.

It isn’t just currency speculators. We’re having significant capital outflows. And at the same time, the government has just exploded all rational fiscal policy in favour of some ideologically driven lunacy where even their own claims don’t stand up to a minute’s scrutiny.

Who would put money in the pound under those circumstances? Nobody sensible.

At least Russia has large reserves of gas, even if it is led by a small-cocked Nazi failure.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

This was a state funeral paid for by the state ie by us. Ditto the accession councils and all the rest of it. The BBC is funded by those who pay the license fee. This was not a private matter and the BBC was not hired by the RF like some wedding photographer. So the entire film of the occasion is a historic archive not the private property of the monarchy.

I very much hope the BBC (and, if necessary, the government) tell the monarchy to get stuffed if they try to limit access or use. This sort of arrogance is what will do for the monarchy.

Yes and the BBC filmed the funeral and accession council and lying in state live and in full.

However the archive is an entirely different matter, as it was also a funeral of a member of the royal family they get a say on how much of it broadcasters can store and use
    Nonsense. If I filmed part of the funeral, that film belongs to me and the RF has no right to determine what I store and how I use it. No different for the BBC.

The RF cannot have their cake and eat it. This was a public historic and state event. The private family part of it was not filmed for the public. The RF have no right to determine what happens to films made of them in the public domain.
    HYUFD is convinced, for some reason, that there’s s written contract. Which seems a bit daft to me.
    The RF will be doing what they always do, which is a mixture of trading on the habitual over-deference of the major broadcasters, and threatening to withhold future access. They should be politely but firmly resisted.
    It would be extraordinary if there were not a detailed written contract between someone and someone dealing with basic access, installation of cameras etc (who put the camera in the roof? Who was responsible if damage occurred during the operation? Etc). The Abbey is a royal peculiar meaning under direct control of the Crown not the diocese, so the crown was presumably a party to that contract and can really stipulate what it likes and say if you don't like it, no access.

In the incredibly unlikely event there is no written contract there would almost certainly still be an oral one.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

nico679 said:

Von Der Leyen will be even sourer than usual this evening .
    Just rejoice at that news.

There will be no big drama between Italy and the EU , this is just being inflated by UK media .
    Let's see what the unofficial voice of the Commission says:

@DaveKeating
    Today's #ItalianElection has put Europe into waters uncharted for many years.

This will be the first far-right leader in Western Europe since the fall of Franco in Spain 5 decades ago.

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1574150783737778176
    Must be a subtle distinction. Hungary's in Eastern Europe and the UK is no longer counted as being in Western Europe as it's not in the EU.
    I have not followed in any detail but seems she is so far right she does not actually want to leave the euro.

Nor I imagine does she want to send asylum seekers to Rwanda.
    Just back to Libya.
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

Macron's party came from nowhere and is very much a "president's party", whereas Meloni, although she fits into the mould of female, non-elite background, far right wing, racist demagogue (cf. Pauline Hanson), is in effect the leader of an established party that goes back to Benito Mussolini and has had a few changes of policy and name through the decades. The flaming tricolour logo is MSI all the way, right down to the red twiddle at the top.

I'm told the way she uses the term "gender" is very "Opus".

Jesuit Pope Francis is not going to like this development one bit.

The Pope will welcome Meloni's emphasis on getting Italians to have more children however

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/pope-urges-italians-children-migrants-90468084
    How is she planning to do that? My understanding of the low fertility rate there is that it is due to female education, and limited economic opportunities for the young.
    As well as giving more financial support to mothers with children with paid state maternity leave, lower taxes on married couples with children and free kindergartens open for longer, Meloni is a supporter of keeping abortion restricted beyond 90 days and takes a traditional view on the family and sexuality
    So greatly increased social security spend on mothers and children? Doesn't seem to match the "far right" tag
    Fascists love going on about the need for high fertility in the favoured ethnic group, and they support state spending to encourage it.

* Battle for Births (Fascist Italy).
    * "A nation without a children is a nation without a future". (Ustashist Croatia).
    * The famous "14 words" so beloved of white supremacists in the US and elsewhere.
    * Etc. etc.

Fascists are collectivists, not individualists or libertarians.

Women's education is another matter.

And when that fails they kidnap large numbers of kids from a neighbouring country?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Most likely thing is Truss sets out a plan to keep Britain solvent in the next few days and submits to the OBR, and others, for scrutiny.

But, she's also very obstinate and probably thinks the markets are wrong so I wouldn't bet on that.
    Having created a crisis she will now use it to justify spending cuts, to balance the books. Since the financial markets concern is with the deficit, rather than overall policy, of the spending cuts plan is remotely credible it would calm the markets.

It would also calm Tory backbenchers. They might, in extremis, be prepared to rebel to prevent British bankruptcy, but few of them went into politics to defend high levels of public spending.

I think this is possibly all a deliberate political ploy, on the basis that they correctly judged it would be easier to sell spending cuts as a solution to a government debt crisis, than as a way to enable tax cuts.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD is convinced, for some reason, that there’s s written contract. Which seems a bit daft to me.
    The RF will be doing what they always do, which is a mixture of trading on the habitual over-deference of the major broadcasters, and threatening to withhold future access. They should be politely but firmly resisted.
    It would be extraordinary if there were not a detailed written contract between someone and someone dealing with basic access, installation of cameras etc (who put the camera in the roof? Who was responsible if damage occurred during the operation? Etc). The Abbey is a royal peculiar meaning under direct control of the Crown not the diocese, so the crown was presumably a party to that contract and can really stipulate what it likes and say if you don't like it, no access.

In the incredibly unlikely event there is no written contract there would almost certainly still be an oral one.
    Almost all historic and/or semi-public buildings have licence arrangements for filming in then anyway. Partly for those reasons, but also to protect themselves. They wouldn’t want to find - for example - that somebody had used footage they had taken of the altar as the background for a porn film or Nazi propaganda.

One of those conditions in my experience which isn’t extensive is some approval of the end product.
  • Options

Surely the super-rich need a further tax cut to keep the UK competitive? Any salary paid in Sterling just depreciated 5% since Friday.

Will no one think of the bankers?
  • Options

Way back in the mid-1990s, just before 1997 landslide, I saw Blair speak at a Fabian conference and i well remember the buzz as he walked in surrounded by what Mason describes here as "earpiece" people. And a dozen TV cameras. There was a certain light, perhaps from some of the cameras, and an intensity of those surrounding him, that made it seem a profound moment.

Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    ·
    8m
    4/ Starmer - confident, surrounded by "earpiece people" - more presidential than prime ministerial. This works for him and unless Truss can generate a similar buzz at her own zombie conference, will start to soften the media towards Labour ...

Hard left wing journo slags off the Tories. Not news.
  • Options
    ping said:

Bottomed out at $1.0335

Now $1.05

Serious volatility.

Just Dornbusch overshooting
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

I can’t see any sign of a rebound. In fact, I expect the pound to go still lower. $0.90 wouldn’t shock me at some point this winter.

Bottom line is, we are importing most of our energy while running an energy intensive economy at a time when energy costs even if they’re going down are at enormous levels. At the same time we’ve disrupted all our traditional trading links. Our balance of payments is a fiasco.

It isn’t just currency speculators. We’re having significant capital outflows. And at the same time, the government has just exploded all rational fiscal policy in favour of some ideologically driven lunacy where even their own claims don’t stand up to a minute’s scrutiny.

Who would put money in the pound under those circumstances? Nobody sensible.

At least Russia has large reserves of gas, even if it is led by a small-cocked Nazi failure.
    Yep, it’s not looking good. The markets can see a government that has no acquaintance with the real world and are behaving accordingly. Presumably, the government and its fans will accuse them of being lefty Remoaners who hate Britain and just don’t get it.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    The government wanted to devalue the pound. What they didn’t want was to shatter the illusion that the government has some control over the economy. To appear to lose control, as they have just done, is disastrous normally. The question I have is whether such a loss of control is disastrous politically in our current era, where some politicians seem to be able get away with anything.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It's early days, but future historians may have to look at which party self-defeated the most: Labour under Corbyn, or the Conservatives under Truss and the latter days of Johnson (who was riding high in the polls until two years ago).

I'd argue the Conservatives have it worst, as they're doing this sh*t whilst they are in power. Labour at least had their lunacy in opposition.
    Just imagine the coverage if the pound and gilts had performed as they have since Friday morning after a Labour budget in which billions more had been borrowed to fund better public services and infrastructure.

• Options
    From the Department of Probably Too Clever By Half, but does the Leader of the Conservative Party automatically become their Leader in the Commons and PM designate?

"The thing is that we respect that the party in the country wants you as their leader, but as MPs we'd prefer someone else here..."
  • Options
    ping said:

Pulpstar said:

As I never tire of pointing out, we could have borrowed to fund tidal power lagoons a decade ago, at a cost which is now a tenth that of today's.
    That infrastructure would have lasted fifty years at a minimum. The economics quite possibly don't stack up
    now.
    That's a huge failure of government.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167
    edited September 2022

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect they want to have an “official” DVD made in partnership with the BBC… all proceeds to restoring the palaces (so effectively tax payers). But they can’t say that as it seems so grubby
    The RF have already been moving to censor what other productions are made, and ban some platforms outright. Which is, however, a different and not necessarily mutually exclusive matter. And does not require the hour restriction. Which your commercial reason would.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/22/royal-family-veto-footage-coverage-queen-elizabeth-ii-funeral
  • Options
    edited September 2022

From the Department of Probably Too Clever By Half, but does the Leader of the Conservative Party automatically become their Leader in the Commons and PM designate?

"The thing is that we respect that the party in the country wants you as their leader, but as MPs we'd prefer someone else here..."

Last time the PM wasn’t also a party leader was September 1940. Since then it’s always been the leader of the largest party.

So yes, in practice.

Edit - in theory, of course, you’re right in that it’s the person who controls the whips, not the person who is official party leader. However, the PM in your scenario would (a) have no access to party funds, so could only govern, not campaign and (b) would probably be immediately deselected.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167

tlg86 said:

Just imagine the coverage if the pound and gilts had performed as they have since Friday morning after a Labour budget in which billions more had been borrowed to fund better public services and infrastructure.

Yes, but it's Tories so OK, especially if Labour have to clean up the mess. We see this attitude here with some.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

As I never tire of pointing out, we could have borrowed to fund tidal power lagoons a decade ago, at a cost which is now a tenth that of today's.
    That infrastructure would have lasted fifty years at a minimum. The economics quite possibly don't stack up
    now.
    That's a huge failure of government.
    Truss was Chief Sec at the Treasury when the tidal lagoons project was scrapped.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

I think it’s more likely than not that there is a written document of some sort - where they can put cameras etc

This discussion has been closed.