Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bojo moving up in the next CON leader betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Lay Badenoch.
    If this goes tits up it'll be someone from the Rishi/One Nation/Told you so wing.

They might, though a "stabbed in the back/the revolution failed by not going hard and fast enough" candidate is also plausible, which does look like Kemi B.
    Indeed, Truss is basically a libertarian liberal. Badenoch a full hard conservative, socially as well as economically
    You implying the Kwasi Budget doesn’t tickle Badenoch at all?
    It does but she adds social conservatism on top.

Braveman already marking out territory as more hardline on immigration than Truss too with an eye on the next leadership election

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1574147359180718081?s=20&t=6dfURfB8wFTgljgsDGhhhw
    Braverman is so unflinchingly right-wing that when she becomes PM we'll all be the asylum seekers desperate to leave her authoritarian chaos. I'll take my chances in Rwanda thanks!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    TimS said:

Something definitely brewing in the Caucasus.

https://twitter.com/dmitryopines/status/1574148756404150273?s=21&t=ddJZV13EtD58HukjBLVFIw

I wonder if social media feeds of Iranians actually fighting back against police are starting to show people how it’s done.

Just checking it appears Dagestan is majority Sunni but with a substantial Shi'a population. Azerbaijan is overwhelmingly Shi'a as of course is Iran further south. Only about 100km from the Russian to Iranian border.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    Andy_JS said:
    And the first 328 votes have been counted!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    Von Der Leyen will be even sourer than usual this evening .
    Just rejoice at that news.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150

We've left, leave her alone.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Scott_xP said:

Ideology trumps all. Corbyn would approve.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Freeze public sector pay and kids will be sent home.
    We're working on goodwill. This is fraying.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2022
    La7 projections based on first counting

Coalition
    Right 43.3%
    PD and allies 25.4%
    M5S 17
    Calenda/Renzi 7.9

FdI 26
    Lega 8.4
    Forza Italia 7.0
    Noi moderati 1

PD 18.1
    Green Left 3.6
    +Europe 3.1
    Di Maio 0.6

M5S 17

Renzi-Calenda 7.9

• Options

EPG said:

Way back in the mid-1990s, just before 1997 landslide, I saw Blair speak at a Fabian conference and i well remember the buzz as he walked in surrounded by what Mason describes here as "earpiece" people. And a dozen TV cameras. There was a certain light, perhaps from some of the cameras, and an intensity of those surrounding him, that made it seem a profound moment.

Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    ·
    8m
    4/ Starmer - confident, surrounded by "earpiece people" - more presidential than prime ministerial. This works for him and unless Truss can generate a similar buzz at her own zombie conference, will start to soften the media towards Labour ...

What does Starmer believe in? I think he is an empty shell, projecting ‘I’m not the Tories’. As the Tories are self destructing it’s working. But.
    What does Starmer believe in?

Take energy. Great to aim for all renewable energy as early as possible. But Starmer seems not have thought about the calm, cloudy winter days problem.

I don't think it's that puzzling? The part of Labour that's not Corbyn.
    What is that now? Trade unions? Not supporting current strikes. What should the tax levels be? Currently the highest for a very long time. Etc etc
    It's Milibandism, but with the geek in the background rather than as the frontman. The soft-left. An instinct to tax and spend more, but with a realisation that there are limits, both economic and political, and with an ability to count. Prepared to compromise, both with reality and opponents, rather than pursue ideological purity. Look for incremental, achievable improvements, rather than utopian dreams.

It's a method of thought more than a detailed answer to every question. It is moderate. It is calm.

At least that what it looks like to me from the outside.

Personally, I tend towards a more utopian, idealistic and radical position, but generally the British public have not agreed.
    Change about three words of that, and you have a pretty good description of the kind of Conservatism that Conservatives got bored of delivering.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Something definitely brewing in the Caucasus.

https://twitter.com/dmitryopines/status/1574148756404150273?s=21&t=ddJZV13EtD58HukjBLVFIw

I wonder if social media feeds of Iranians actually fighting back against police are starting to show people how it’s done.

The way the mobilisation has been conducted has almost been designed to provoke such a response. I can't help but wonder whether Putin now wants to provoke rebellion in the outlying provinces, so as to create a pretext for withdrawing from Ukraine, and to recreate his victory in the Second Chechen War that cemented his place in power.

A fight against civilians in Dagestan might be a fight the Russian Army could still win.

And then, "We would have won in Ukraine, but we were busy."
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,790

There will be no big drama between Italy and the EU , this is just being inflated by UK media .
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Ideology trumps all. Corbyn would approve.
    And fancy having at least two of those seven on here!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

Sky lower house seat prediction:
    FdI 110, Lega 66, FI 46 = 222/400
    There will be a few FPTP winners from.Noi Moderati (though they haven't broken the 3% to pick up proportionals), so suggests a Meloni government with a majority around 55.

So for the first time since World War 2 a Nationalist, former Fascist party has won most seats in a western European general
    election. Meloni and Brothers of Italy though will need Berlusconi and Salvini's support to govern.

Also the first victory for the right of centre in a G7 nation's election since Boris and the Tories win in 2019. Truss will welcome PM Meloni as a key ally in a G7 now dominated by liberals and social democrats like Biden, Scholz, Macron and Trudeau
    On your first point, you seem to be ignoring the electoral success of your Falange mates in Spain.

And if Truss sees a neo-Fascist as an ally, that tells us a lot about Truss.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

There will be a few FPTP winners from.Noi Moderati (though they haven't broken the 3% to pick up proportionals), so suggests a Meloni government with a majority around 55.

So for the first time since World War 2 a Nationalist, former Fascist party has won most seats in a western European general
    election. Meloni and Brothers of Italy though will need Berlusconi and Salvini's support to govern.

Also the first victory for the right of centre in a G7 nation's election since Boris and the Tories win in 2019. Truss will welcome PM Meloni as a key ally in a G7 now dominated by liberals and social democrats like Biden, Scholz, Macron and Trudeau
    No - that was the LDP in Japan, October 2021.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Japanese_general_election
  • Options

Starmer is a dull and dutiful technocrat.

His skill is not in policy-making or in vision-dreaming, but rather in a kind of stolid mediation or arbitration of centre-left delivery.

We can already see that the Starmer years will be reasonably dull, and the far left will be disappointed, but the country will be fairer and more content.

He and Labour need to make sure he is surrounded by a top-notch team, but I find the current Labour front bench the most impressive they’ve had since the Blair years.

I don't think Red Wall voters want a technocratic leader.
  • Options

I think she can probably handle a bit of criticism from a net random. If not she can use 'the tools' to deal with me
  • Options
    nico679 said:

There will be no big drama between Italy and the EU , this is just being inflated by UK media .
    Let's see what the unofficial voice of the Commission says:

@DaveKeating
    Today's #ItalianElection has put Europe into waters uncharted for many years.

This will be the first far-right leader in Western Europe since the fall of Franco in Spain 5 decades ago.

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1574150783737778176
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

No HY. Fascists may be of the right, but they are not your friends. I have told you about this before!
    Meloni has said now if she was British she would be a Tory
    And in the EU and the Euro too. So a remainer. Like Liz Truss.
  • Options

His skill is not in policy-making or in vision-dreaming, but rather in a kind of stolid mediation or arbitration of centre-left delivery.

We can already see that the Starmer years will be reasonably dull, and the far left will be disappointed, but the country will be fairer and more content.

He and Labour need to make sure he is surrounded by a top-notch team, but I find the current Labour front bench the most impressive they’ve had since the Blair years.

And that's it. The Labour manifesto for 2024.

It should win comfortably. I'd say at a canter, but that would overplay the excitement level.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Lay Badenoch.
    If this goes tits up it'll be someone from the Rishi/One Nation/Told you so wing.

They might, though a "stabbed in the back/the revolution failed by not going hard and fast enough" candidate is also plausible, which does look like Kemi B.
    Indeed, Truss is basically a libertarian liberal. Badenoch a full hard conservative, socially as well as economically
    The one thing positive that I can see so far is that Truss isn't bothered by the whole Culture War thing. Her ideas are economic, not cultural.
    To her credit, she is not an inveterate liar like Boris either.

Despite my extreme disagreement with what she’s doing, I find her light years more agreeable than Boris, who was despicable.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

His skill is not in policy-making or in vision-dreaming, but rather in a kind of stolid mediation or arbitration.

I think his campaign will be dull, vacuous and worthy, but he would have the skills to manage a coalition well. Something that Corbyn never could have done when he was way short of a majority in 2017. That gives Starmer quite the edge.

On topic, I cannot see the Tories dumping Truss before a GE. For better or worse they are stuck with her. No comeback for Johnson, indeed likely to ignominiously lose his own seat at that GE.

• Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,092
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Lay Badenoch.

You implying the Kwasi Budget doesn’t tickle Badenoch at all?
    It does but she adds social conservatism on top.

Braveman already marking out territory as more hardline on immigration than Truss too with an eye on the next leadership election

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1574147359180718081?s=20&t=6dfURfB8wFTgljgsDGhhhw
    As always seems to happen with British parties newly in opposition. They elect a leader who comforts the base but doesn’t appeal to the wider electorate. In fact in both Labour and Tory recent cases they do this twice, with the second one being worse than the first.

Both Ed Miliband and Hague improved with age, but their successors were total disasters.
  • Options

EPG said:

Way back in the mid-1990s, just before 1997 landslide, I saw Blair speak at a Fabian conference and i well remember the buzz as he walked in surrounded by what Mason describes here as "earpiece" people. And a dozen TV cameras. There was a certain light, perhaps from some of the cameras, and an intensity of those surrounding him, that made it seem a profound moment.

Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    ·
    8m
    4/ Starmer - confident, surrounded by "earpiece people" - more presidential than prime ministerial. This works for him and unless Truss can generate a similar buzz at her own zombie conference, will start to soften the media towards Labour ...

What does Starmer believe in? I think he is an empty shell, projecting ‘I’m not the Tories’. As the Tories are self destructing it’s working. But.

Take energy. Great to aim for all renewable energy as early as possible. But Starmer seems not have thought about the calm, cloudy winter days problem.

I don't think it's that puzzling? The part of Labour that's not Corbyn.
    What is that now? Trade unions? Not supporting current strikes. What should the tax levels be? Currently the highest for a very long time. Etc etc
    It's Milibandism, but with the geek in the background rather than as the frontman. The soft-left. An instinct to tax and spend more, but with a realisation that there are limits, both economic and political, and with an ability to count. Prepared to compromise, both with reality and opponents, rather than pursue ideological purity. Look for incremental, achievable improvements, rather than utopian dreams.

It's a method of thought more than a detailed answer to every question. It is moderate. It is calm.

At least that what it looks like to me from the outside.

Personally, I tend towards a more utopian, idealistic and radical position, but generally the British public have not agreed.
    Change about three words of that, and you have a pretty good description of the kind of Conservatism that Conservatives got bored of delivering.
    Yes, that did occur to me as I was writing it.

"Milibandism" -> "One-Nation Conservatism"
    "geek" -> "Old Etonian"
    "soft-left" -> "soft-right"
    "instinct to tax and spend more" -> "instinct to tax and spend less"

Blair was a lot more radical, and in a way that irked much of his party. Are people ready for some left-of-centre conservatism? Dunno, but seems to be a pretty clear pitch from Starmer.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

OK but the LDP almost always win
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I don't think they want one who has junked levelling up in favour of fracking the old coalfields either.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

No HY. Fascists may be of the right, but they are not your friends. I have told you about this before!
    Meloni has said now if she was British she would be a Tory
    And in the EU and the Euro too. So a remainer. Like Liz Truss.
    And HYUFD :lol:
  • Options
    WillG said:
    Hopefully never to return.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,245
    Andy_JS said:

The good news is that Meloni has always voted in favour of sanctions against Russia according to the BBC.

Although the majority of FdI voters are against sanctions against Russia, according to recent polling:

https://tg24.sky.it/politica/2022/09/05/elezioni-sondaggio-quorum-youtrend#03
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

nico679 said:

@DaveKeating

This will be the first far-right leader in Western Europe since the fall of Franco in Spain 5 decades ago.

Must be a subtle distinction. Hungary's in Eastern Europe and the UK is no longer counted as being in Western Europe as it's not in the EU.
  • Options

Coalition
    Right 43.3%
    PD and allies 25.4%
    M5S 17
    Calenda/Renzi 7.9

FdI 26
    Lega 8.4
    Forza Italia 7.0
    Noi moderati 1

PD 18.1
    Green Left 3.6
    +Europe 3.1
    Di Maio 0.6

M5S 17

Renzi-Calenda 7.9

Projections on Rai TV

FdI 24.6
    Lega 8.5
    Forza Italia 8.0
    Noi moderati 1.1

PD 19.4
    Green Left 3.5
    +Europe 2.9

M5S 16.5

Renzi-Calenda 7.3
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited September 2022
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

I don't think they want one who has junked levelling up in favour of fracking the old coalfields either.
    Andy Js wouldn’t recognise the red wall if it collapsed on him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

OK but the LDP almost always win
    Yes they do, but that didn't make the post correct.
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Lay Badenoch.

The one thing positive that I can see so far is that Truss isn't bothered by the whole Culture War thing. Her ideas are economic, not cultural.
    To her credit, she is not an inveterate liar like Boris either.

He was more an invertebrate liar IMO.

• Options
    Roger said:

nico679 said:

@DaveKeating

Must be a subtle distinction. Hungary's in Eastern Europe and the UK is no longer counted as being in Western Europe as it's not in the EU.
    I have not followed in any detail but seems she is so far right she does not actually want to leave the euro.

• Options

Why?

I pretty agnostic about the effects of Meloni’s win, but I don’t doubt the having a “post-fascist” leader in Italy is a bad thing.

Certainly much worse than whatever comfort I am supposed to derive from baiting Von der Leyen.

What is this weird strain in right wing thinking (Farage, Leon etc) that celebrates each nationalist win, not just on its own merits, but as a general fuck you to our neighbours in Europe?
    Leon doesn't do thinking.

He just wants *interesting* things to happen and doesn't give a four X for you, us, or the consequences for wider humanity.
  • Options

Look, getting Brexit done doesn’t mean being done with EUrophobia.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

WillG said:
    Hopefully never to return.
    Not sure he is safe from the return nuke fire from US at his favourite and well known dacha.

So if he is really there then we can be assured no nukes in next few days.
  • Options

TimS said:

Italian politics always seems to punch below its weight internationally - not since Mussolini has it really had a major influence on other electorates, so I don’t see this making particularly huge waves like Le Pen would have and Trump did. The bigger far right menace within the EU remains Orban.

An Italian Orban would be far more problematic. I'm willing to give Meloni the benefit of the doubt but Salvini and Berlusconi not so much. At least Russia increasingly looks like a busted flush.
    Meloni has repeatedly praised Orban. And repeatedly accused Soros of masterminding the "plan" to replace Italians with non white immigrants.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

His skill is not in policy-making or in vision-dreaming, but rather in a kind of stolid mediation or arbitration.

I think his campaign will be dull, vacuous and worthy, but he would have the skills to manage a coalition well. Something that Corbyn never could have done when he was way short of a majority in 2017. That gives Starmer quite the edge.

On topic, I cannot see the Tories dumping Truss before a GE. For better or worse they are stuck with her. No comeback for Johnson, indeed likely to ignominiously lose his own seat at that GE.

"I cannot see the Tories dumping Truss before a GE"

Let's see what the markets have to say tomorrow.

IMO it will be an utter meltdown from 8am.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    The thing is that far right is a term understood to mean very bad or nasty or extreme.

But what exactly is it? People throw the term around far too easily. I also don't think that if something is deemed to be of serious significance blithely describing it as far right is good enough. What do we mean? Racist? Fascist? Ethno-nationalist? It's a very lazy term. We have this problem as well with the police and Prevent. 'Far right extremism.' Please tell us what you mean!
  • Options
    Weak spot?

Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    ·
    51m
    7/ I'm still struck by how little Labour wants to talk spontaneously about crime - very few fringe events focused on it - while the target voters are rightly obsessed with it
  • Options

Coalition
    Right 43.3%
    PD and allies 25.4%
    M5S 17
    Calenda/Renzi 7.9

FdI 26
    Lega 8.4
    Forza Italia 7.0
    Noi moderati 1

PD 18.1
    Green Left 3.6
    +Europe 3.1
    Di Maio 0.6

M5S 17

Renzi-Calenda 7.9

Updated projection

Coalition
    Right 43.8%
    PD and allies 25.8%
    M5S 16.6
    Calenda/Renzi 7.8

FdI 26
    Lega 8.7
    Forza Italia 8.2
    Noi moderati 0.9

PD 18.3
    Green Left 3.7
    +Europe 3.1
    Di Maio 0.8
  • Options

Weak spot?

Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    ·
    51m
    7/ I'm still struck by how little Labour wants to talk spontaneously about crime - very few fringe events focused on it - while the target voters are rightly obsessed with it

Especially since the Tories are astonishingly weak on crime, having cut police numbers and half-dismantled the justice system.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Coming to this a bit late, but re the BBC and the funeral.

This was a state funeral paid for by the state ie by us. Ditto the accession councils and all the rest of it. The BBC is funded by those who pay the license fee. This was not a private matter and the BBC was not hired by the RF like some wedding photographer. So the entire film of the occasion is a historic archive not the private property of the monarchy.

I very much hope the BBC (and, if necessary, the government) tell the monarchy to get stuffed if they try to limit access or use. This sort of arrogance is what will do for the monarchy.

Yes and the BBC filmed the funeral and accession council and lying in state live and in full.

However the archive is an entirely different matter, as it was also a funeral of a member of the royal family they get a say on how much of it broadcasters can store and use
  • Options
    Threshold for PR seats is 3%

Parties below 1% don't count for the coalition totals.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    Macron's party came from nowhere and is very much a "president's party", whereas Meloni, although she fits into the mould of female, non-elite background, far right wing, racist demagogue (cf. Pauline Hanson), is in effect the leader of an established party that goes back to Benito Mussolini and has had a few changes of policy and name through the decades. The flaming tricolour logo is MSI all the way, right down to the red twiddle at the top.

I'm told the way she uses the term "gender" is very "Opus".

Jesuit Pope Francis is not going to like this development one bit.

• Options

Why?

I pretty agnostic about the effects of Meloni’s win, but I don’t doubt the having a “post-fascist” leader in Italy is a bad thing.

Certainly much worse than whatever comfort I am supposed to derive from baiting Von der Leyen.

What is this weird strain in right wing thinking (Farage, Leon etc) that celebrates each nationalist win, not just on its own merits, but as a general fuck you to our neighbours in Europe?
    Because its much like any of the other rough and tumble and commentary on here. Why do people take the piss out of Biden, or Orban, or Truss, or Trudeau or etc? I disllike her and the institution she leads.
    Meloni doesnt appear to have what i would consider 'far right' policies so good luck to her. If she starts going full Benito then screw her
  • Options
    OK looks like this is the best site for live maps:

https://elezioni.repubblica.it/2022/elezioni-politiche/
  • Options

Foxy said:

Asia not buying into the meltdown yet. £ hovering just above 1.08 down a quarter percentish
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Foxy said:

On topic of your on topic, all of a sudden I am not so sure - the herd have got a taste for moving, if Truss was hollowed out by awful polls, elections, scandals - for example as a betting site how many weeks do we think Fulbrook rides this situation before resigning - one more scandal on top and the herd will move, only this time no phase 2 members element. The bookies would make Wallace favourite once Truss is ousted, I agree with HY, if Truss goes Wallace with lead the Conservatives into the election - except for one doubt, he’s not that many weeks ago ruled himself out, why does that change?

I would have it 50/50 Wallace or Truss leading Tories into next election. Just 2 weeks in and she would already lose a vonc. Six months of awful polling and she’s out.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2022
    “As the energy crisis bites, remember the humble microwave. By Tim Hayward”

https://www.ft.com/content/46fe9a5f-5504-403a-8874-ecf242a46127

Spot on!

The microwave and the modern digital pressure cooker are brilliantly efficient, essential devices for anyone trying to cut down on energy use in cooking. Both thoroughly underrated.
  • Options

Brothers of Italy clearly ahead on 24%, then PD on 19%, and Five Star on 16%, Lega only just ahead of Forza Italia, 8.5% to 8%
  • Options

Threshold for PR seats is 3%

Parties below 1% don't count for the coalition totals.

And the senate results get counted 1st by the looks of it?
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

Macron's party came from nowhere and is very much a "president's party", whereas Meloni, although she fits into the mould of female, non-elite background, far right wing, racist demagogue (cf. Pauline Hanson), is in effect the leader of an established party that goes back to Benito Mussolini and has had a few changes of policy and name through the decades. The flaming tricolour logo is MSI all the way, right down to the red twiddle at the top.

The Pope will welcome Meloni's emphasis on getting Italians to have more children however

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/pope-urges-italians-children-migrants-90468084
  • Options

Foxy said:

Asia not buying into the meltdown yet. £ hovering just above 1.08 down a quarter percentish
    I don’t think there will be a meltdown.
    But Asia’s not actually open yet. Just NZ lol.

Tokyo opens in 90 mins.
  • Options

The thing is that far right is a term understood to mean very bad or nasty or extreme.

But what exactly is it? People throw the term around far too easily. I also don't think that if something is deemed to be of serious significance blithely describing it as far right is good enough. What do we mean? Racist? Fascist? Ethno-nationalist? It's a very lazy term. We have this problem as well with the police and Prevent. 'Far right extremism.' Please tell us what you mean!

She does see herself as the heir to Mussolini.

Notably only just overtaken this year by Putin as the most deluded national leader of the last century concerning his military prowress.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    Heh
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

The Pope will welcome Meloni's emphasis on getting Italians to have more children however

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/pope-urges-italians-children-migrants-90468084
    Yes, it's strange that the Pope has that position. I mean his specific reference to native Italians, when he strongly opposes the hatred against immigrants that is being whipped up by the far right. He could just say let's all make more babies but he doesn't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

How is she planning to do that? My understanding of the low fertility rate there is that it is due to female education, and limited economic opportunities for the young.
  • Options

Foxy said:

On topic of your on topic, all of a sudden I am not so sure - the herd have got a taste for moving, if Truss was hollowed out by awful polls, elections, scandals - for example as a betting site how many weeks do we think Fulbrook rides this situation before resigning - one more scandal on top and the herd will move, only this time no phase 2 members element. The bookies would make Wallace favourite once Truss is ousted, I agree with HY, if Truss goes Wallace with lead the Conservatives into the election - except for one doubt, he’s not that many weeks ago ruled himself out, why does that change?

I would have it 50/50 Wallace or Truss leading Tories into next election. Just 2 weeks in and she would already lose a vonc. Six months of awful polling and she’s out.
    1. It is far too early to say Truss is a failure.
    2. Boris is not coming back.
  • Options

Foxy said:

It would lead to a split not another leadership election.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,195
    “Keir Starmer says he would bring back the 45p top rate of income tax, but keep the basic rate cut down to 19p and the NICs cut. The latter two cost 10 times the former - so unless he cuts spending, he too would have to borrow a tonne more, or put up other taxes. Them’s the maths.”

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1573953922179506176?s=46&t=kpViu4yuPZRZqvLGEa1IqA
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

How is she planning to do that? My understanding of the low fertility rate there is that it is due to female education, and limited economic opportunities for the young.
    Financial insecurity and the fact that Italians end up supporting their Bambini well into middle age. Having more than one is seen as dangerously reckless.
  • Options
    Brace.

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    2h
    UPDATE:
    Currency trading has begun in Asian markets and the pound is down another half cent vs the dollar.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,790
    Salvini won’t be happy as the Lega vote collapsed and seems that went to the Brothers of Italy . Some of the PD vote went to Five Star which has done much better than the last polls .

I expect this right coalition to go the way of many before it , won’t last long and the Italians will then find the next party promising them the earth and vote for unicorns which then don’t deliver again .
  • Options
    ping said:

“As the energy crisis bites, remember the humble microwave. By Tim Hayward”

https://www.ft.com/content/46fe9a5f-5504-403a-8874-ecf242a46127

Spot on!

The microwave and the modern digital pressure cooker are brilliantly efficient, essential devices for anyone trying to cut down on energy use in cooking. Both thoroughly underrated.

Only because the energy had already been expended making most of the stuff people typically put in their microwave. From end to end it's unlikely to be an energy efficient way to make food.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

“Keir Starmer says he would bring back the 45p top rate of income tax, but keep the basic rate cut down to 19p and the NICs cut. The latter two cost 10 times the former - so unless he cuts spending, he too would have to borrow a tonne more, or put up other taxes. Them’s the maths.”

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1573953922179506176?s=46&t=kpViu4yuPZRZqvLGEa1IqA

It isn't the killer attack line though, as both parties are committed to growth via government deficit spending. They just differ in how to do it, tax cuts for the super rich, or a massive plan for Green energy infrastructure. Which is going to provide more jobs in Hartlepool?
  • Options

Roger said:

nico679 said:

@DaveKeating

I have not followed in any detail but seems she is so far right she does not actually want to leave the euro.

Nor I imagine does she want to send asylum seekers to Rwanda.
  • Options

Brace.

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    ·
    2h
    UPDATE:
    Currency trading has begun in Asian markets and the pound is down another half cent vs the dollar.

Its not continued to drop, its currently down 0.1% just over 1.08
  • Options

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    Cliff. Pound. Falling. Is. A. Off.
    Rearrange this into a sentence.
    Asian markets now
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

nico679 said:

@DaveKeating

Nor I imagine does she want to send asylum seekers to Rwanda.
    Just back to Libya.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

It isn't the killer attack line though, as both parties are committed to growth via government deficit spending. They just differ in how to do it, tax cuts for the super rich, or a massive plan for Green energy infrastructure. Which is going to provide more jobs in Hartlepool?
    We have 30% of the whole world’s installed offshore wind. We already have a massive plan for green energy infrastructure. But you’re right, the politics is about appearances.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

The word "just" is doing a hell of a lot of work there.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

Financial insecurity and the fact that Italians end up supporting their Bambini well into middle age. Having more than one is seen as dangerously reckless.
    You weren’t kidding:

“In Italy parents have the duty to support their offspring until they are able to support themselves: there is no age limit to the supporting, if a daughter or son is not able to support herself or himself when they are, say, 50, her/his living aged parents are still required to support her/him by law. For whatever reason they are not able to support themselves: we are not only talking here about a disabled son/daughter who can not become independent, but also about fully able persons who are not economically able to support themselves at that moment. For instance, if the son/daughter is studying, the parent has a duty to support him/her.

Also, parents have a duty by law to support their offsprings ‘ personal inclinations, for instance, letting the son/daughter study and supporting this choice if the son/daughter is so inclined.

Anyway, if the judge thinks that the daughter/son is not putting enough effort in becoming self-supporting, the judge can rule that the son/daughter must put more effort in finding a job and becoming self-supporting, or put more effort in completing his/her studies and then finding a job. Or that the son/daughter should also financially help the family by taking small actions towards that, actions that will not take away his/her chance to fulfill his/her legitimate inclinations.

Other close relatives have the duty to support each other in Italian law, for instance offsprings have the duty to support their parents (yes, if a parent has been mean to a son, the son still is obliged by law to financially care for this parent). Siblings have a duty to support each other, and so on. In Italy, you can not simply walk away from your family.”
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

As well as giving more financial support to mothers with children with paid state maternity leave, lower taxes on married couples with children and free kindergartens open for longer, Meloni is a supporter of keeping abortion restricted beyond 90 days and takes a traditional view on the family and sexuality
  • Options

Why?

Because its much like any of the other rough and tumble and commentary on here. Why do people take the piss out of Biden, or Orban, or Truss, or Trudeau or etc? I disllike her and the institution she leads.
    Meloni doesnt appear to have what i would consider 'far right' policies so good luck to her. If she starts going full Benito then screw her
    Meloni says there's an organised internationally-financed movement to encourage "uncontrolled" immigration, with George Soros at the top of it. On "ethnic substitution", also known as the "Great Replacement" or the "Kalergi Plan", see for example her speech here. I don't know whether you will say this is all irrelevant because such declarations aren't specific policies, but she is a fascist all right.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I would have it 50/50 Wallace or Truss
    leading Tories into next election. Just 2
    weeks in and she would already lose a vonc. Six months of awful polling and she’s out.
    She would win a VoNC otherwise we would have a VoNC
  • Options

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    Asian markets now

I'm having dinner in an expensive restaurant in Asheville and need to get the bill while I can still afford it...
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,223
    carnforth said:

Removing the additional rate gives him the cover to make it a lot easier to put up other taxes though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    edited September 2022
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

Just watching Saturday Kitchen Live because a friend of a friend is on it and Stanley Tucci was talking about an episode of his Searching for Italy set in London which hasn’t been shown here yet I think. Anyway he said there were c.500k Italians in London which sounded awfully high? The coda to this was a lot of them were young Italians because of lack of opportunities back in the old country; what value in more bambini if they’re off in their teens?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    IanB2 said:

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    Asian markets now

I'm having dinner in an expensive restaurant in Asheville and need to get the bill while I can still afford it...
    Get it now, the pound is only down 0.08% vs the dollar right at this moment
    P.s. obviously i realise you were kidding
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

Making abortion/morning after pill harder to get, lowering taxes for bigger families.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Did Kwarteng choose to remove the 45% rate rather than the 100000 personal allowance cliff-edge because the latter would have required more primary legislation, even if more desirable?
  • Options

Thanks DC.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Weak spot?

Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    ·
    51m

Not sure why it would be though - if they are obsessed by crime they can see what job the Tories have done on it.
  • Options

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    Asian markets now

Andy Burnham thinks it's immoral.

https://twitter.com/AndyBurnhamGM/status/1574158989201657857
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

We have 30% of the whole world’s installed offshore wind. We already have a massive plan for green energy infrastructure. But you’re right, the politics is about appearances.
    We don't have a 'plan' for 'green energy infrastructure' - if by that you mean a plan that takes all the disparate, disjointed and dysfunctional elements of our energy sector and makes them into something resembling a secure and cost effective way to power a growing economy. Have you looked at Boris's 'energy security bill'? At the breaking of the energy crisis wave, it was chuntering on about clamping down on health and safety breaches in the oil and gas industry.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Did Kwarteng choose to remove the 45% rate rather than the 100000 personal allowance cliff-edge because the latter would have required more primary legislation, even if more desirable?

Will removing the 45% rate result in more tax take? I find the arguments about rates sterile - I want the government to maximise tax revenue by having rates at the correct levels. Anything else is stupid.
  • Options

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    Asian markets now

Andy Burnham thinks it's immoral.

https://twitter.com/AndyBurnhamGM/status/1574158989201657857
    Hes just discovered currency speculators exist?
  • Options
    “Tumbling gas prices on track to slash £60bn cost of energy bailout“

https://archive.ph/NeUIG
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,223
    edited September 2022
    carnforth said:

It would have been even more eye-wateringly expensive.
  • Options

carnforth said:

Will removing the 45% rate result in more tax take? I find the arguments about rates sterile - I want the government to maximise tax revenue by having rates at the correct levels. Anything else is stupid.
    It is thought to cost £2bn in lost tax revenue, if nothing changes. But the claim is things will change.
  • Options
    Is there any bandwagon Andy Burnham won't jump on? He's the most pathetic Labour politician there is.

He literally has no consistent position on anything. I hate the man
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

Just watching Saturday Kitchen Live because a friend of a friend is on it and Stanley Tucci was talking about an episode of his Searching for Italy set in London which hasn’t been shown here yet I think. Anyway he said there were c.500k Italians in London which sounded awfully high? The coda to this was a lot of them were young Italians because of lack of opportunities back in the old country; what value in more bambini if they’re off in their teens?
    Perhaps in England? American's often use 'London' when they mean England. Though when the UK had a hospitality industry Soho had more Italian restaurants and staff than all the others put together
This discussion has been closed.