Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Starmer still strong betting favourite for post-election PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So the top rate of income tax slashed, caps on bankers bonuses ended and an end to Sunak's NI rise and a cut ro corporation tax. This was an ultra capitalist, classical liberal budget from Truss and Kwarteng.

However the biggest beneficiaries will be the rich and high earners, despite the cut in the basic rate of income tax and stamp duty cut. Rules around universal credit tightened too. I suspect it will go down better in West London and the Home counties than the redwall

Not in this corner of West London, or a lot of other parts of London either, I suspect. London will stay Labour, even if the richer often living in London will often benefit. It's much as London and Manchester were still often centres of social conscience as well as being key engines of Victorian capitalism.

It might save Cities of London and Westminster and some seats in Surrey though. The social democrat intellectual conscience of London is North London, West London has always been the home of London's richest and wealthiest.

It was not a budget to save Bishop Auckland, Blyth Valley, Stoke, West Bromwich or Burnley from going red however
    Yeah theres no ambition in those places. Everyone has a whippet and eats the dust from their flying ducks on the wall
    Of course there is ambition in the redwall but how many people in the redwall earn over £100k? How many FTSE 100 corporation HQs are based in the redwall? As they were the biggest winners from this budget.

Even the stamp duty threshold rise does not held first time buyers in the redwall much as most didn't pay it anyway. Plus we need to hope this needs to a surge in growth and revenue not the deficit
    The red wall is a very diverse area. Plenty of parts where most property is over 125 grand, plenty earning good income, plenty IR35s, plenty paying basic rate income tax, plenty reliant on businesses succeeding.
    You dont have to be the biggest winner to be a winner.
    The red wall are the red wall because for decades they have watched times of growth benefit the south east and not reach them.

The vox popping on budget picking up so much “rich people benefitting, not us” is politically toxic. Maybe the crisis help to households announcement should have been kept apart from the “big handouts to the rich” announcement as some kudos may have been swamped here.
    The Great Brexit Betrayal has begun. The Red Wall were seduced with the promise of better services, a better NHS. Levelling Up.

To be fair to Johnson, he understood this and at least paid lip service to it.

That's all gone, hasn't it? The lunatics have taken over the asylum, implementing policies that have zero mandate from the country at large but which get the juices of Tory types flooding down their wizened, atrophied flanks.

It's the cynicism that gets me. Even though I knew it would come sooner or later, it was inevitable, it's the brazen Trumpite shamelessness of the whole endeavour that really galls.

If a new Labour leader had been parachuted in mid-term and was half as radical, can you imagine the howls of outrage from the client press, demanding an election? Screaming about illegitimacy?

I would suggest a deep breath, a nice walk, a lie down and a cup of tea.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

It is also the time to find out how literate the public is.

I sincerely hope they will mourn Hilary Mantel because she was a tremendous writer. I mentioned her the other day in the same breath as Proust and I stick to that for the world she created and trapped you happily and rewardingly inside.

The other thing people will have to read up on is Riccardian Equivalance because if people suspect that all might not be well with the UK in the months and years to come, it will once again show its relevance.

The savings rate is the key indicator here.

You also said Ben Okri is as good as James Joyce, and you failed to identify Masaccio’s The Holy Trinity, so your judgement is, to say the least, rather questionable
    Ouch again. What a zinger. You really have a thing about Ben Okri.

*Google*

AHHHHHHHHH

Ben Okri/Age: 63 years

If professional jealousy gets your creative juices flowing then keep at it.
    Masaccio

The Holy Trinity

The very first use of linear perspective in pictorial art

1425?

What about Lorenzetti's Presentation at the Temple 1342?

Oh god you've just set him off on another google.
    No, I’m done with reprising your humiliation,
    for now

Also, in terms of perspective, that painting is: Close, but no cigar
    In terms of perspective that painting is... nearly 80 years before Masaccio's
    Of course. I’m merely noting that it doesn’t *quite* nail perspective, tho it is impressively close, and obviously part of the process that got there
    Not generally picked up by other artists though. We have Brunelleschi to thank for that 70 years later.

The Presentation in the Temple is a beautiful painting though, despite the rather flat gothic depictions of people. The depth created by the perspective and the darkening towards the interior is brilliant.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited September 2022

Sandpit said:

On how to not grow industry....

André-Hubert Roussel, CEO, Ariane Group is complaining that start up launch companies in Europe, were duplicating what was already being done in launch and that in supporting these companies Europe was encouraging competition that brought "nothing" in terms of innovation to the table. Oh and the dirty barstewards are taking investment cash that should be his, by right.

That’s a lot of words, to say that the real problem is SpaceX and other innovative startups eating his lunch, because how dare they have actual competition and innovation in rocket science!
    Ariane and SLS are the past, not the future.
    I’m still not convinced that SLS is actually ever going to launch.

As far as almost everyone involved is concerned, mission is accomplished already, simply by spending the $20bn in 48 States over the past decade. Bonus points for spending the money turning already re-useable hardware, into something completely expendable bar the capsule on top.

Now that I’ve said that, it will of course launch next week - as I’m sat on a beach with a large drink and no wifi, reading a book and oblivious to the events of the outside world.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So the top rate of income tax slashed, caps on bankers bonuses ended and an end to Sunak's NI rise and a cut ro corporation tax. This was an ultra capitalist, classical liberal budget from Truss and Kwarteng.

However the biggest beneficiaries will be the rich and high earners, despite the cut in the basic rate of income tax and stamp duty cut. Rules around universal credit tightened too. I suspect it will go down better in West London and the Home counties than the redwall

Not in this corner of West London, or a lot of other parts of London either, I suspect. London will stay Labour, even if the richer often living in London will often benefit. It's much as London and Manchester were still often centres of social conscience as well as being key engines of Victorian capitalism.

It might save Cities of London and Westminster and some seats in Surrey though. The social democrat intellectual conscience of London is North London, West London has always been the home of London's richest and wealthiest.

It was not a budget to save Bishop Auckland, Blyth Valley, Stoke, West Bromwich or Burnley from going red however
    Yeah theres no ambition in those places. Everyone has a whippet and eats the dust from their flying ducks on the wall
    Of course there is ambition in the redwall but how many people in the redwall earn over £100k? How many FTSE 100 corporation HQs are based in the redwall? As they were the biggest winners from this budget.

Even the stamp duty threshold rise does not help first time buyers in the redwall much as most didn't pay it anyway. Plus we need to hope this leads to a surge in growth and revenue not the deficit
    Farage says best conservative budget since 1986

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1573278502790791168?t=PWbsZj6pf76O_VidBmcqhQ&s=19
    Blukip rules. RIP Conservatives.
    Today was a conservative budget cutting taxes and reducing the state

It will be interesting to see how it is received but we now have 2 very different political parties and whoever wins the argument wins power in 2024
    Borrowing to fund tax cuts is not remotely conservative. How was the state cut? The Tories are borrowing billions?
    If the tax cuts lead to private sector led economic growth then even if the public sector stays the same size so services aren't reduced then relatively speaking the tax burden and public sector as a proportion is cut but without worsening public services.
    All these doomsayers about big tax cutting budgets. 1972 was an even bigger tax cutting budget than this, all hell didn’t actually break loose in the following years leading to us bankrupt did it?
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even the stamp duty threshold rise does not held first time buyers in the redwall much as most didn't pay it anyway. Plus we need to hope this needs to a surge in growth and revenue not the deficit
    The red wall is a very diverse area. Plenty of parts where most property is over 125 grand, plenty earning good income, plenty IR35s, plenty paying basic rate income tax, plenty reliant on businesses succeeding.
    The red wall are the red wall because for decades they have watched times of growth benefit the south east and not reach them.

The vox popping on budget picking up so much “rich people benefitting, not us” is politically toxic. Maybe the crisis help to households announcement should have been kept apart from the “big handouts to the rich” announcement as some kudos may have been swamped here.
    The Great Brexit Betrayal has begun. The Red Wall were seduced with the promise of better services, a better NHS. Levelling Up.

That's all gone, hasn't it? The lunatics have taken over the asylum, implementing policies that have zero mandate from the country at large but which get the juices of Tory types flooding down their wizened, atrophied flanks.

It's the cynicism that gets me. Even though I knew it would come sooner or later, it was inevitable, it's the brazen Trumpite shamelessness of the whole endeavour that really galls.

If a new Labour leader had been parachuted in mid-term and was half as radical, can you imagine the howls of outrage from the client press, demanding an election? Screaming about illegitimacy?
    The Tories have basically implied the Red Wall is gone already. We must never let them con the North ever again.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    AlistairM said:

One of the few Russian attacking areas may have been turned.

Very interesting. The Bakhmut area was one of the few areas where the Russians had been constantly trying to advance over the past weeks. If the Ukrainians are now pushing back there…
    https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1573298480226893826

Well yes, hence the Russian escalation of partial mobilisation and rigged referenda.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243

LOL at the left wingers who are now saying that perhaps Boris wasn't so bad afterall, now that a PM doing Brownite tax and spend policies has been replaced by a tax cutting Conservative.

Almost as amusing as all the Remainers who objected to Theresa May's Brexit deal that effectively kept us in both the Single Market and Customs Union via the backstop being appalled at that being replaced by Boris's deal.

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
  • Selebian said:

LOL at the left wingers who are now saying that perhaps Boris wasn't so bad afterall, now that a PM doing Brownite tax and spend policies has been replaced by a tax cutting Conservative.

Almost as amusing as all the Remainers who objected to Theresa May's Brexit deal that effectively kept us in both the Single Market and Customs Union via the backstop being appalled at that being replaced by Boris's deal.

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Johnson didn't have enough ability to actually do anything.

Truss does. That is the problem.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Worrying because it might work?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,592
    edited September 2022
    Sandpit said:

André-Hubert Roussel, CEO, Ariane Group is complaining that start up launch companies in Europe, were duplicating what was already being done in launch and that in supporting these companies Europe was encouraging competition that brought "nothing" in terms of innovation to the table. Oh and the dirty barstewards are taking investment cash that should be his, by right.

That’s a lot of words, to say that the real problem is SpaceX and other innovative startups eating his lunch, because how dare they have actual competition and innovation in rocket science!
    He is so far into denial that he is living on a houseboat on Lake Victoria.

It's not just SpaceX. Lots of new launchers coming on line. Ariane 6 is OK priced for the old world. The new world has people targeting $1000/Kg and below.

If he doesn't get his shit together, he is going to be in the position that Michael Gass found himself in. Proud owner of a bunch of rockets that had no commercial competitiveness and the institutional (military and civil) customers were starting to look at cheaper alternatives. Literally looking at the end of the business.

EDIT: He was talking about European startups, only. At the this level of denial, Falcon 9 doesn't exist and Starship isn't even SciFi.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited September 2022

Given the market reaction to today's budget, if you are super-wealthy the first thing you'll want to do with all the extra money the government has borrowed in order to hand over to you is to get it out of the UK asap.

The market reactions seem to be the same across Europe. Remarkable how the UK budget impacts a continent. :wink:

• ChrisChris Posts: 11,008

There is nothing in this approach that appeals anyone under the super rich tax bracket.

What an utter joke. I’m ashamed to have ever supported such a bunch of reckless idiots

Oh really? Even Part Timers on Minimum Wage reach the tax thresholds and anyone on basic rate tax is seeing their marginal tax rate cut by 2.25
    Wow. You've hit on something there. Abolish Income Tax, abolish all public spending, and everyone (who counts) will win!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

It is also the time to find out how literate the public is.

I sincerely hope they will mourn Hilary Mantel because she was a tremendous writer. I mentioned her the other day in the same breath as Proust and I stick to that for the world she created and trapped you happily and rewardingly inside.

The other thing people will have to read up on is Riccardian Equivalance because if people suspect that all might not be well with the UK in the months and years to come, it will once again show its relevance.

The savings rate is the key indicator here.

You also said Ben Okri is as good as James Joyce, and you failed to identify Masaccio’s The Holy Trinity, so your judgement is, to say the least, rather questionable
    Ouch again. What a zinger. You really have a thing about Ben Okri.

*Google*

AHHHHHHHHH

Ben Okri/Age: 63 years

If professional jealousy gets your creative juices flowing then keep at it.
    Masaccio

The Holy Trinity

The very first use of linear perspective in pictorial art

1425?

What about Lorenzetti's Presentation at the Temple 1342?

Oh god you've just set him off on another google.
    No, I’m done with reprising your humiliation,
    for now

Also, in terms of perspective, that painting is: Close, but no cigar
    In terms of perspective that painting is... nearly 80 years before Masaccio's
    Of course. I’m merely noting that it doesn’t *quite* nail perspective, tho it is impressively close, and obviously part of the process that got there
    Not generally picked up by other artists though. We have Brunelleschi to thank for that 70 years later.
    And Alberti who codified it so that @Leon can make head or tail out of what he is reading on wiki.

I really don't know why he bothers. (@Leon not Alberti.)
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even the stamp duty threshold rise does not help first time buyers in the redwall much as most didn't pay it anyway. Plus we need to hope this leads to a surge in growth and revenue not the deficit

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1573278502790791168?t=PWbsZj6pf76O_VidBmcqhQ&s=19

It will be interesting to see how it is received but we now have 2 very different political parties and whoever wins the argument wins power in 2024
    Borrowing to fund tax cuts is not remotely conservative. How was the state cut? The Tories are borrowing billions?
    If the tax cuts lead to private sector led economic growth then even if the public sector stays the same size so services aren't reduced then relatively speaking the tax burden and public sector as a proportion is cut but without worsening public services.
    All these doomsayers about big tax cutting budgets. 1972 was an even bigger tax cutting budget than this, all hell didn’t actually break loose in the following years leading to us bankrupt did it?

I see what you did there ;-)

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Off topic. It is the beginning of the end for the TV satellite dish. The TV aerial can't be far behind.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/09/sky-uk-reportedly-plan-to-end-satellite-tv-dish-installs-in-2023.html

And what about in all the locations where the broadband speed is shit?
    The terrestrial commercial channels need to pipe their live channels over IPTV. I don't have an aerial or satelite dish and tbh the BBC iplayer is the only service that works properly out of the "terrestrial" suite.
    but children of the future won't understand one of the world's best ever jokes.

Two TV aerials got married. the service was bad but the reception was brilliant.
  • MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm perfectly calm, thank you very much, but I do very much appreciate your solicitousness.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,838
    MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.
    Soft. Head.
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

The craziest story out there, which has gone almost completely unnoticed, is the scientists who wrote a detailed paper about all the UFOs recently seen over Ukraine

“Astronomers in Ukraine are observing UFOs "everywhere" and classifying them as Cosmics or Phantoms based on brightness. They estimate their size to be about 3 to 12 meters with speeds over 33,000 mph. For context, planes fly at 500-600 mph.”

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1570780417049120774?s=46&t=ZtaccptfIVLDh6sIA_Jvqw

Here is their paper. It is so mind boggling some claim it is a hoax

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2208.11215.pdf

What was that tv show about aliens who helped humanity unify after a global conflict, only it turned out the aliens had been around and helped start it secretly.
    Cracking plot twist

The theory is the aliens are intrigued/concerned at our apparent desire to destroy ourselves, hence their interest in military sites, esp nukes. Makes sense they’d be all over Ukraine

I also love the way that scientific paper calmly solves the problem: Where are all the good photos of UFOs now that we all have cameras?

Our cameras can’t capture them. They fly too fast to be registered by normal cameras (or the human eye)

I mean, if this is true (and not a hoax) this is the biggest story in human history. Just calmly sitting out there. Buried under the news of Her Majesty’s demise
    Are you fingering aliens for HM's demise?

(Interesting preprint btw, I've only given it a very quick skim, but I'll look in more detail later.)

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm perfectly calm, thank you very much, but I do very much appreciate your solicitousness.

You'll have to forgive me. As a Thatcherite, I've been in a political cryo-chamber since 1990.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    The Ukrainians should launch some alcohol into Russian held areas.

Absolute scenes at an airfield in Russia's Far East where one man mobilised to fight in Ukraine was so drunk that he reportedly fell asleep in the long grass next to the runway
    https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1573295980635643907
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Ariane and SLS are the past, not the future.
    I’m still not convinced that SLS is actually ever going to launch.

As far as almost everyone involved is concerned, mission is accomplished already, simply by spending the $20bn in 48 States over the past decade. Bonus points for spending the money turning already re-useable hardware, into something completely expendable bar the capsule on top.

Now that I’ve said that, it will of course launch next week - as I’m sat on a beach with a large drink and no wifi, reading a book and oblivious to the events of the outside world.
    Too Big To Fail.

If that sounds familiar, it is because it is literally what they are doing now.

Note that this doesn't actually mean no failure (Lehman Brothers says hi!), but that the justification for keeping going is that This Is Too Big To Stop Now.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,838

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is Kwazy Kwarteng the new Demon Barber of Threadneedle Street?
  • Chris said:

There is nothing in this approach that appeals anyone under the super rich tax bracket.

What an utter joke. I’m ashamed to have ever supported such a bunch of reckless idiots

Oh really? Even Part Timers on Minimum Wage reach the tax thresholds and anyone on basic rate tax is seeing their marginal tax rate cut by 2.25
    Wow. You've hit on something there. Abolish Income Tax, abolish all public spending, and everyone (who counts) will win!
    You think Part Timers on Minimum Wage are overpaid and should see their tax rate be even higher? 🤔
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.
    Dim witted triumphalism seems the order of the day on the right today. I hate to pry or speculate about the triumphalists but none of them give off a 45% top rate vibe, so perhaps the shafting of the poor rather than enrichment of the rich is being celebrated.

This is a fucking disaster.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Why do you think it might work in the UK when it didn't in Venezuela? Surely you need some reference points for your assertions?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories have basically implied the Red Wall is gone already. We must never let them con the North ever again.
    Labours problems aren't solved in the "north". What has labour really got to say to the north? The north didn't want Corbyn and his promises of more public spending. It is more like a cultural problem with the 'left behind' that just continues. I would guess that the "red wall" just splits between labour and conservative. It would be a fertile ground for a new populist party.

• IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.
    Dim witted triumphalism seems the order of the day on the right today. I hate to pry or speculate about the triumphalists but none of them give off a 45% top rate vibe, so perhaps the shafting of the poor rather than enrichment of the rich is being celebrated.

How does cutting the tax of the poor by 2.25% so they keep more of their own income "shaft" them?
    edited September 2022
    Scots have quite the incentive to move to England now.

Scots earning over £27,800 currently pay more income tax than Eng and Welsh equivs (<50% of Scots taxpayers) but if SG take no action after Kwarteng changes, all Scots earning over £15,000 pay more, ie most taxpayers. Fraser of Allander did the calculations
    https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1573243863937982464
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

The craziest story out there, which has gone almost completely unnoticed, is the scientists who wrote a detailed paper about all the UFOs recently seen over Ukraine

“Astronomers in Ukraine are observing UFOs "everywhere" and classifying them as Cosmics or Phantoms based on brightness. They estimate their size to be about 3 to 12 meters with speeds over 33,000 mph. For context, planes fly at 500-600 mph.”

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1570780417049120774?s=46&t=ZtaccptfIVLDh6sIA_Jvqw

What was that tv show about aliens who helped humanity unify after a global conflict, only it turned out the aliens had been around and helped start it secretly.
    Cracking plot twist

The theory is the aliens are intrigued/concerned at our apparent desire to destroy ourselves, hence their interest in military sites, esp nukes. Makes sense they’d be all over Ukraine

I also love the way that scientific paper calmly solves the problem: Where are all the good photos of UFOs now that we all have cameras?

Our cameras can’t capture them. They fly too fast to be registered by normal cameras (or the human eye)

I mean, if this is true (and not a hoax) this is the biggest story in human history. Just calmly sitting out there. Buried under the news of Her Majesty’s demise

(Interesting preprint btw, I've only given it a very quick skim, but I'll look in more detail later.)
    It's Tom Cruise In Darkstar. That's why the Russians are going apeshit.

Personal reactions are strange. The bit that kinda confused me about the recent Topgun movie, is that a manned vehicle that demonstrated a working scramjet, Mach 10, the ability to manoeuvre at Mach 10 and the ability to operate with a tiny ground crew and no exotic fueing operations would guarantee *all* the funding.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, these are the 15% Brexiteers.
    That, or something like it, is the proportion of those voting leave who wanted this kind of thing. Can't think it's a many as that in the Red Wall constituencies though...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Cracking plot twist

It’s properly fascinating. I don’t believe it’s a hoax. Do read

I remember when I first started ranting about UFOs on here (prompted by @moonshine) someone said: Yeah, whatever, I’ll only be interested when there are actual scientific papers about UFOs, by proper scientists

Well, here you go. Here’s a proper scientific paper by actual boffins. Observing multiple unknown craft flying at 55,000 KPH

Much faster than even the fastest ICBM

And they are clustering over a war zone with a potential to go nuclear….

We are getting quite close to Full Disclosure (unless this is a truly elaborate hoax)

IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.

If you think this is triumphal, wait til you see me when the red wall doesn't reject Truss wholesale.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited September 2022

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I see what you did there ;-)

The serious point being, they said it biggest tax cutting budget since, and I was interested which one they thought was bigger. The Tories surprisingly lost an election 2 years after the success of the 72 budget. This is cutting your household income without cutting your outgoings, and reliant on now borrowing to keep your household afloat. It’s not the approach what made the Conservatives great in the past. It’s not a great Conservative budget - great Conservative budgets are about fiscal probity, balancing books, and trouncing Labour for pie in the sky ideas about borrowing their way to prosperity.
    kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is Kwazy Kwarteng the new Demon Barber of Threadneedle Street?
    Boom, boom !
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Cracking plot twist

They should try this one:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/design/a32434104/worlds-fastest-camera/

"At 70 trillion frames per second, it's fast enough to document nuclear fusion and radioactive molecule decay."

(Not a camera you could use outside tbf but amazing anyway.)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    I hope it works. I'm worried that they are taking huge gambles based on half remembered ideologies they baked in in their 20s.

IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.

How does cutting the tax of the poor by 2.25% so they keep more of their own income "shaft" them?
    If it comes as a prelude to large cuts in government spending, when the borrowing prices unsustainable ?
    That's at least one way.

In the meantime, perhaps you'd like to compare the effects of fiscal drag on the taxes of an average and higher rate taxpayer, coupled with todays changes, and let me know what you think ?
  • IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.

Fairly easy. They depend on the public services, which will suffer hugely, more than the pathetic 'saving' in their back pocket. Meanwhile those at the high end, who use public services less, are laughing all the way to the bank.

The fact you support this budget is a great marker for what a disaster it is for both the Conservative party and the country.
    Voting procedures in Russian held areas of Ukraine. I predict that at least 97% of the population will vote not to be shot.

⚡️This is how the "referendum" is taking place in the temporarily occupied city of Energodar, Zaporizhzhia region. Video from subscribers.
    https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1573287407709048832
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.

Indeed. The general majority of PB has never seemed to look less interested in, or actually particularly to care about, the broad majority, or average, of the country.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.

If you think this is triumphal, wait til you see me when the red wall doesn't reject Truss wholesale.
    Because Mrs Enid Barking of 37 Willoughby Avenue, Sunderland, still votes Conservative?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.

Long wait.

Your delusion that this is Thatcherism is depressing.
    Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    No.
  • Selebian said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    No.
    How are you doing matey?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    MISTY said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You'll have to forgive me. As a Thatcherite, I've been in a political cryo-chamber since 1990.
    Whatever this is, it isn't Thatcherism.
  • IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.

Fairly easy. They depend on the public services, which will suffer hugely, more than the pathetic 'saving' in their back pocket. Meanwhile those at the high end, who use public services less, are laughing all the way to the bank.

The fact you support this budget is a great marker for what a disaster it is for both the Conservative party and the country.
    Welcome back, you're making some great posts and annoying all the right people.
    edited September 2022
    FF43 said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Why do you think it might work in the UK when it didn't in Venezuela? Surely you need some reference points for your assertions?
    I think the Truss-haters are worried it might work because they are in hysterics, making ridiculous comparisons like Venezuela.

Selebian said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    No.
    How are you doing matey?
    Worried. Otherwise good :wink:

(Oh and I've got covid, but almost over that. Seriously though, good, in general. You?)
  • darkage said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labours problems aren't solved in the "north". What has labour really got to say to the north? The north didn't want Corbyn and his promises of more public spending. It is more like a cultural problem with the 'left behind' that just continues. I would guess that the "red wall" just splits between labour and conservative. It would be a fertile ground for a new populist party.

That's not strictly true. I know an awful lot of red wallers who switched Lab to Con very specifically because they supported more public spending. The charge being Labour hadn't done it, leaving the EU, the oven-ready plan and levelling-up as the solution.
    AlistairM said:

Voting procedures in Russian held areas of Ukraine. I predict that at least 97% of the population will vote not to be shot.

⚡️This is how the "referendum" is taking place in the temporarily occupied city of Energodar, Zaporizhzhia region. Video from subscribers.

Sure that's not @HYUFD during the Scottish referendum ?
    edited September 2022
    Foxy said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Whatever this is, it isn't Thatcherism.
    Because we aren't getting the big public spending cuts that the Blessed Lady Margaret (PBUH) was wont to impose...?

Fair point.
  • jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 633
    edited September 2022
    Four council by-elections last night

Coventry (Sherbourne) Con GAIN from Lab
    Gwynedd (Llanuwchllyn) PC hold
    Stoke-on-Trent (Bentilee & Ubberley) Lab hold
    Wealden (Maresfield) Green GAIN from Con

Good Week/Bad Week Index

Grn +76
    PC +55
    Lab +27
    LDm -1
    Con -25

Adjusted Seat Value

Grn +1.3
    PC +0.9
    Lab +0.5
    LDm +0.0
    Con -0.4
  • Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    No.
    How are you doing matey?

(Oh and I've got covid, but almost over that. Seriously though, good, in general. You?)
    Worried about the Tories and the economy? Hope it's nothing else.

Sorry you've got COVID, glad to hear you're almost over it, we're lucky to have you posting still :)
  • AlistairM said:

Scots have quite the incentive to move to England now.

Scots earning over £27,800 currently pay more income tax than Eng and Welsh equivs (<50% of Scots taxpayers) but if SG take no action after Kwarteng changes, all Scots earning over £15,000 pay more, ie most taxpayers. Fraser of Allander did the calculations
    https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1573243863937982464

That is the whole point about devolved tax-raising powers, to allow different rates to be set.
    The Ukrainian UFO paper takes me back to the infamous UFO footage filmed in Beaver, Utah

https://971zht.iheart.com/content/2019-01-25-recently-released-ufo-footage-filmed-near-beaver-utah-video/

If this footage legit shows a UFO then it’s been estimated the “craft” is flying at 12,000 mph. Extremely fast

But the Ukrainian astronomers are seeing craft flying at 33,000 mph

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's not strictly true. I know an awful lot of red wallers who switched Lab to Con very specifically because they supported more public spending. The charge being Labour hadn't done it, leaving the EU, the oven-ready plan and levelling-up as the solution.
    Switch Lab => Con in the hope of more public spending? Not to say I am sceptical but I am sceptical. What was that definition of insanity again?

Brexit I'm all over that for the Red Wall and I get it.

Levelling up was (I say "was" because I presume they have jettisoned it now) the critical Cons policy of its age. It will be a shame (and a disaster electorally) if they don't deliver.
    Leon said:

The Ukrainian UFO paper takes me back to the infamous UFO footage filmed in Beaver, Utah

https://971zht.iheart.com/content/2019-01-25-recently-released-ufo-footage-filmed-near-beaver-utah-video/

If this footage legit shows a UFO then it’s been estimated the “craft” is flying at 12,000 mph. Extremely fast

Maybe in a warzone they have to move up into 3rd gear?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    A very busy day for me on this fun fiscal event. Non stop reviewing of press comment and marketing blurbs, editing blog posts, emailing clients etc.

Nice tweet from Lammy:

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1573252138444128256?s=20&t=-580LZ2gs4JFHUyax2SW1w
    edited September 2022

IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Nail. Head.

What's the logic behind the removal of the 45% band?

Do you think 45% taxpayers are sitting there saying to themselves "well I could do more to grow the economy but what's the point if I am taxed at 45%... but if I only pay 40% on the extra I'll earn, I'm in"?
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Cracking plot twist

Mach 43 is impressive. The Avangard has been claimed to travel only at up to Mach 27.

There's a lot more wackiness to come. That much is obvious for those who can hear the grass grow.

Apprentice Pillar outside No10.
    New PM with the amulet. (Bondage is a decoy.)
    Death of the monarch, no cause yet stated.
    Putin and the Ferris wheel.

Meanwhile the fireball over Scotland etc. that was said to be space junk has now been classified as a meteor. Everyone can be at ease now. But at ~20 seconds that's the longest lasting visible meteor I've ever heard of.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.

Nah - Johnson was rock bottom. His lying was off the charts.
    And he had plenty of ability to mess the country up.

Liz Truss just seems a standard Tory to me. Will her economic policies work?
    I think obviously not - but let's wait and see. Either way she won't be as bad as Boris Johnson.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    edited September 2022
    Driver said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    I think the Truss-haters are worried it might work because they are in hysterics, making ridiculous comparisons like Venezuela.
    I repeat the question. What makes you think "it might work" ? And what do you actually mean by work?

Sorry. I don't just accept your assertion because you say so, when very few people whose job it is to deal with this stuff - Central bankers, economists, market traders etc - think this will is either sustainable or will lead to actual growth in the medium term, or significantly in the short term. Let alone the politics of it.
    AlistairM said:

Even they knew they couldn't hold a real or fake referendum under these circumstances. What allies will it persuade who arent already on board?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

geoffw said:

The govt cannot "grow the economy" in the transitive sense of the verb to grow. Growth in income/output per head is the result of technical progress in the widest sense. So 'to grow the economy' must be understood in the intransitive sense, i.e. to create conditions for the economy to generate innovations and technical and organisational improvement, and to remove impediments to change. I haven't heard or read the speech, but it sounds as if Kwarteng and Truss have that approach. Of course it's a gamble as Fraser Nelson and James Forsythe point out, but in my view a necessary one. I think the odds of success are around evens, with a fair wind.

Trouble is, when did we last have a fair wind? Both parties have suffered when in Government from externalities that are outside of their control and I would suggest that is more the norm than steady sailing. I am not sure relying on a fair wind is the best policy given recent history.
    Late to respond - lunch intervened. OK, forget the fair wind flourish. It's a brave attempt to loosen the unnecessary shackes that weigh the economy down. Some of which were cynically introduced by Gordon Brown in his last acts before demitting office.

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Maybe in a warzone they have to move up into 3rd gear?

More speculation here:

“A case in point is a paper recently posted on a scientific server by three scientists from the Main Astronomical Observatory of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. For their study, Boris Zhilyaev and colleagues used two observation stations — one in Kyiv, and the other 120 kilometers away. Color video cameras recorded objects moving across the daytime sky at high speed, with exposure times set to just one millisecond and the frame rate set to no slower than 50 frames per second.

The cameras did record several hits. Some of the objects were luminous, while other very dark objects registered zero albedo, meaning they reflected no sunlight. What all of the objects shared in common, though, was that they were moving at extremely high velocities — up to 282 kilometers per second. Compare that with the Earth’s escape velocity of 11.2 km/s, which is the speed required to overcome our planet’s gravity and escape into space. No physical human-engineered object could get close to such velocities within the Earth’s atmosphere. Yet based on colorimetric methods, the scientists determined that the observed objects were only a few miles above our planet’s surface.

Interestingly, the data showed that the objects’ brightness was correlated with their speed. That might lead us to speculate whether these objects are extraterrestrial spacecraft using some unknown propulsion system. Here again, science provides at least some help. Based on papers such as one published in 2010 by Harold Puthoff from the Institute for Advanced Studies at Austin in Texas, we can theorize what the signatures of exotic propulsion systems might be. If a ship had a kind of warp drive capable of modifying the space-time continuum, nearby observers might see a blue-shift toward higher frequencies of light, observe time running faster, and feel the presence of anti-gravitational forces. “

https://bigthink.com/hard-science/ufo-uap-science/
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

Selebian said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Cracking plot twist

It's Tom Cruise In Darkstar. That's why the Russians are going apeshit.

Personal reactions are strange. The bit that kinda confused me about the recent Topgun movie, is that a manned vehicle that demonstrated a working scramjet, Mach 10, the ability to manoeuvre at Mach 10 and the ability to operate with a tiny ground crew and no exotic fueing operations would guarantee *all* the funding.
    That sounds interesting.

Moscow blown up by a talking bomb that refuses to obey Vlad.

:smile:
  • I am going to get a nice windfall from this budget.

And I am going to invest it in the stock market to inflate my own wealth further.

Hardly stimulating the economy is it?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,812
    FF43 said:

Driver said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    I repeat the question. What makes you think "it might work" ? And what do you actually mean by work?

Sorry. I don't just accept your assertion because you say so, when very few people whose job it is to deal with this stuff - Central bankers, economists, market traders etc - think this will is either sustainable or will lead to actual growth in the medium term, or significantly in the short term. Let alone the politics of it.
    CBI supportive for one
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Can you please explain this with your workings out.

If today's developments generate growth it would turn everything I learned in A level economics on it's head. There is nothing to say economic and political circumstances won't become more favourable for La Truss, but not on the back of this package it won't.
    rkrkrk said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.

Nah - Johnson was rock bottom. His lying was off the charts.
    And he had plenty of ability to mess the country up.

Liz Truss just seems a standard Tory to me. Will her economic policies work?
    I think obviously not - but let's wait and see. Either way she won't be as bad as Boris Johnson.
    Agreed. On a personal moral level she is better. She is a regular reasonably competent minister. She may choose some batty policies, time will tell, but she is a better person.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Leon said:

Even if you could do that inside an atmosphere (which I doubt, because you cannae change the laws of physics, no matter how advanced your technology) why would you want to? You wouldn’t see anything down here. For transit you’d go high and orbital.
    TOPPING said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Switch Lab => Con in the hope of more public spending? Not to say I am sceptical but I am sceptical. What was that definition of insanity again?

Levelling up was (I say "was" because I presume they have jettisoned it now) the critical Cons policy of its age. It will be a shame (and a disaster electorally) if they don't deliver.
    Kwarteng is slashing business taxes for areas that are in difficulty via the investment zones.

If that's not levelling up, I don't know what is.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281

Kwarteng has said: "Growing the economy creates growing tax revenues, which pay public services.
    Growing the economy creates growing tax revenues, which pay public services."

How much growth is needed to make up for the £45 billion reduction in tax revenue? OK, this is my attempt at a back of an envelope calculation. Please do correct me! Let's say tax revenue is 30% of GDP, so to make up for £45 billion, you need the economy to grow by £45B/0.3 = £250 billion. UK GDP is £2.7 trillion, so growth of £250 billion would be 9¼%.

The highest growth ever achieved since 1949 was 7.5% last year, with post-COVID bounce back. 6.5% was achieved in 1973 following Barber's dash for growth, which was followed by one of our worst recessions.

We are not going to achieve 9¼% growth. These tax cuts will not pay for themselves. Public spending will have to be slashed.

£45B/0.3 = £150bn, not £250bn

Numerous people replied to the above post, and nobody manged to spot the error!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    "Mr Kwarteng is not just gambling on a new strategy, he is betting the house.”

This, from @PJTheEconomist at the IFS, is utterly brutal.

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1573310225209253888/photo/1

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    No.
    How are you doing matey?

Worried about the Tories and the economy? Hope it's nothing else.

Sorry you've got COVID, glad to hear you're almost over it, we're lucky to have you posting still :)
    Yep, just the trussonomics.

Re covid, I'm back working, so it would be bad form for me not to be back posting too :wink:

I am going to get a nice windfall from this budget.

And I am going to invest it in the stock market to inflate my own wealth further.

Now, now Horse. Let's say the stock market goes up (chance would be a fine thing) that means valuations go up that means equity financing becomes more attractive to companies that means more companies compete to list on the stock exchange that means more and better national output from those companies that means more employment that means more wealth that means more tax that means more to spend on the NHS.

Is the theory.
  • TOPPING said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For many red wallers, leaving the EU and then voting Tory was very directly to get direct economic benefits. Labour government hadn't invested enough, Labour since the Danelaw councils didn't have the money or the intelligence to care, and suddenly they're told its all about the EU. Leave and we keep our money, get rid of the migrants, choose to spend our own money etc etc.

Why do you think "levelling up" then became "build back better" and then "freeports" and now "special economic zones". With a few exceptions, the cash promised hasn't arrived. So keep kicking the can down the road with a new name and a new threat that the opposition would scrap LU / BBB / FP / SEZ so keep backing the Tories if you want the shiny shiny.
  • MISTY said:

Kwarteng is slashing business taxes for areas that are in difficulty via the investment zones.

How does that help people on the street who have seen their services disappear and their communities fall apart?
    FF43 said:

Driver said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    If you repeat the question, I'll repeat the answer: Truss-haters are worried it might work because they are in hysterics, making ridiculous comparisons like Venezuela.

By "work" I mean "be popular enough to get her re-elected".
    Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    "It might work" in the same way that a stopped clock tells the correct time twice a day.
  • TOPPING said:

Now, now Horse. Let's say the stock market goes up (chance would be a fine thing) that means valuations go up that means equity financing becomes more attractive to companies that means more companies compete to list on the stock exchange that means more and better national output from those companies that means more employment that means more wealth that means more tax that means more to spend on the NHS.

Is the theory.
    It's been the "theory" for forty years. It doesn't work that way, what happens is that the rich like me get richer and the poor get their public services slashed

I am absolutely delighted the Tories have been able to fix the transport, housing and tuition fee issues that were holding you back to the point you can now talk about your own wealth instead.

You must be delighted. I'm happy for you. Well done you.

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    "It might work" in the same way that a stopped clock tells the correct time twice a day.
    If this is one of those times, she'll still get the credit.
  • TOPPING said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For many red wallers, leaving the EU and then voting Tory was very directly to get direct economic benefits. Labour government hadn't invested enough, Labour since the Danelaw councils didn't have the money or the intelligence to care, and suddenly they're told its all about the EU. Leave and we keep our money, get rid of the migrants, choose to spend our own money etc etc.

Why do you think "levelling up" then became "build back better" and then "freeports" and now "special economic zones". With a few exceptions, the cash promised hasn't arrived. So keep kicking the can down the road with a new name and a new threat that the opposition would scrap LU / BBB / FP / SEZ so keep backing the Tories if you want the shiny shiny.
    Wasn't the FLSOJ iteration of the Tory party openly stating that red wall constituencies (among others) that voted Tory would get preferential cashmoney treatment? Now these peoples may be arseholes, but their abiding self interest indicates that they wouldn't say this unless they thought it would have an effect.

I am absolutely delighted the Tories have been able to fix the transport, housing and tuition fee issues that were holding you back to the point you can now talk about your own wealth instead.

You must be delighted. I'm happy for you. Well done you.
    Unlike some, I actually care about those around me.

I do better under the Tories, society does not. And young people don't in general either.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    £/$ just touched 1.0995
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Even if you could do that inside an atmosphere (which I doubt, because you cannae change the laws of physics, no matter how advanced your technology) why would you want to? You wouldn’t see anything down here. For transit you’d go high and orbital.
    The craft observed in Ukraine are supposedly flying a few miles above the earth

MISTY said:

How does that help people on the street who have seen their services disappear and their communities fall apart?
    If that has happened it isn't for the want of governments trying to get funding. Taxes until today have been high as they have ever been.

How much higher would you have wanted them to go?

You're in the 45% bracket but can't afford a house ?!
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Cracking plot twist

It’s properly fascinating. I don’t believe it’s a hoax. Do read

I remember when I first started ranting about UFOs on here (prompted by @moonshine) someone said: Yeah, whatever, I’ll only be interested when there are actual scientific papers about UFOs, by proper scientists

Well, here you go. Here’s a proper scientific paper by actual boffins. Observing multiple unknown craft flying at 55,000 KPH

Much faster than even the fastest ICBM

And they are clustering over a war zone with a potential to go nuclear….

We are getting quite close to Full Disclosure (unless this is a truly elaborate hoax)

Has it encountered peer review yet? I've seen Mick has decided it. Take it from me a lot of shit can be published somewhere. I've found outright fraud in papers before
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.
    Can you please explain this with your workings out.

If today's developments generate growth it would turn everything I learned in A level economics on it's head. There is nothing to say economic and political circumstances won't become more favourable for La Truss, but not on the back of this package it won't.
    I think it fairly certain to create short term growth. It is a massive injection of state funded debt into the economy. Likely to collapse into inflation and high interest rates like the Barber boom, but a short term sugar rush of growth (or at least attenuated recession) until the crash.

FF43 said:

Driver said:

FF43 said:

Driver said:

Selebian said:

Johnson was crap.

Liz is worse.
    Johnson was depressing.

Truss is worrying.

CBI supportive for one
    Well all their senior members have just had a significant personal pay rise this morning.
  • Pulpstar said:

You're in the 45% bracket but can't afford a house ?!
    I didn't say I was in the 45% bracket
  • Just paid £6.95 for a pint in a zero waste pizzeria in Hackney. Clientele appears to be mostly middle aged white people with ponytails. No recession for these guys
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    kle4 said:

AlistairM said:

Even they knew they couldn't hold a real or fake referendum under these circumstances. What allies will it persuade who arent already on board?
    The whole charade is intended purely for the domestic Russian audience - especially the conscripts, who will be told that they are to defend Russian territory rather than attack Ukrainian territory.
This discussion has been closed.