Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so ends the Second Elizabethan age – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Biden was a big fan of the Queen. As far as I understood the earlier report, logstically he had sit there because he was entering separately from the rest of the VIP's.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Picture of Biden in row 14

Macron squirrelled away in row 6. Good work

Trump would have muscled into the front row between King Charles and Queen Camilla.

The New York Post (which is an awful Murdoch? scandal sheet) are right, it is a massive snub. Give us out trade deal baldy!
    Somewhere else I read it was because he refused to take the bus like other ordinary president-citizens, n'est-ce-pas ?
    I can understand he might be behind commonwealth heads of state. Not sure why behind Poland.
    yes , these things should not matter but of course they do , own goal really to piss of the USA needlessly .

Who gives a fuck. Our queen. Our funeral

Australia and Canada and all the other realms were and are way more important. On this occasion

If we were just honouring geopolitical power then we’d have Xi, Putin and Erdogan in row 1

🤮
    Indeed and it was the US who decided to become independent and a republic centuries ago. The Queen was held in particular affection in France, spoke fluent French and Macron paid great tribute to her.

Tributes to the Queen aside Biden is hardly a fan of the current Truss led UK anyway, though he might get on better with Starmer
    Yep. Hopefully Trump will win in 2024

And Meloni in Italy. Then they can all sit in the front row with orban and the new Swedish government for the coronation
    KCIII won't be crowned till after mid-January 2025? Huge if true.
    Do we get an extra bank holiday for that too? Or do they move one of the May ones?

Slightly impacts on next year's holiday plans.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,909
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Trump would have muscled into the front row between King Charles and Queen Camilla.

The New York Post (which is an awful Murdoch? scandal sheet) are right, it is a massive snub. Give us out trade deal baldy!
    Somewhere else I read it was because he refused to take the bus like other ordinary president-citizens, n'est-ce-pas ?
    I can understand he might be behind commonwealth heads of state. Not sure why behind Poland.
    yes , these things should not matter but of course they do , own goal really to piss of the USA needlessly .

Australia and Canada and all the other realms were and are way more important. On this occasion

If we were just honouring geopolitical power then we’d have Xi, Putin and Erdogan in row 1

🤮
    Indeed and it was the US who decided to become independent and a republic centuries ago. The Queen was held in particular affection in France, spoke fluent French and Macron paid great tribute to her.

Tributes to the Queen aside Biden is hardly a fan of the current Truss led UK anyway, though he might get on better with Starmer

And Meloni in Italy. Then they can all sit in the front row with orban and the new Swedish government for the coronation
    Bolsonaro has to feature in that club too surely?
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    IshmaelZ said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

I have inadvertently misled the house. After giving it large about vintage Mailly from BBR I was expecting someone to come round and drink with me. Now not happening, and rather than drink that on my own I have defaulted to Tescos cava. Which at under £6 a bottle and quite often 25% off 6 is the biggest bargain in the country.

Cheer up. We’re drinking with you

🥂
    Yeah but not Tesco's cava. Jeez.
    Hey fck off, I bet you it would knock spots off Aldi "Champagne" in a blind tasting.
    Very sadly Aldi have discontinued their world (and definitely Tesco's cava-) beating Monsigny champagne. So we will never know (I know).
    Cava is ugely underrated stuff, why people pay lots more for carbonated prosecco is a mystery (cava is methode champenoise). I drink enough good champagne to not bother with the cheapies.

And anyway my gf who was coming round to drink the good stuff used to groom for, produce and show HMQ Highland ponies for her. So there.
    I just don't get on with non-champagne bubbles remember when everyone was going crazy about Cremant de this, that and the other.

Although I do like (but obviously can't afford) Nyetimber.

Edit: forsaken for a Highland Pony I'd break out the Crystal.
    Morrisons “extra special” own label English Sparkling is actually 2010 Nyetimber and was only about £24 last time I looked.
    OMG and only 20 a bottle if you buy three of them

TY for that.
    Was it any good tho? 2010

IIRC English fizz only really got going 2010 on…

But @TimS is a literal English wine maker so he can advise
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

🤮

To be fair I doubt Meloni, the Swedish PM, Orban or Biden will be there for the coronation. The King of Sweden will be there again, maybe the US will send VP Hartis and Hungary and Italy will just send the ambassador
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,102
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

I have inadvertently misled the house. After giving it large about vintage Mailly from BBR I was expecting someone to come round and drink with me. Now not happening, and rather than drink that on my own I have defaulted to Tescos cava. Which at under £6 a bottle and quite often 25% off 6 is the biggest bargain in the country.

🥂
    Hey fck off, I bet you it would knock spots off Aldi "Champagne" in a blind tasting.
    Very sadly Aldi have discontinued their world (and definitely Tesco's cava-) beating Monsigny champagne. So we will never know (I know).
    On the other hand they have brought back their heated clothing airer, saves a fortune compared to tumble dryers.

Changing times...
    We use a dehumidifier in winter to help dry clothes and keep the moisture down.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,491
    Good old Guardian. Back to form:

It was a gilded royal funeral, an event that will only heighten our self-delusion
    Charlotte Higgins

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/19/queen-funeral-theatre-monarchy-coronation

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Apparently the protocol was royals from other countries take precedence but Macron was seated row 6 , still ahead of Biden.

Lot of rows between 6 and 14.
    Maybe it was done alphabetically - I can’t be arsed to see/work out who was between them but France being 6 and USA being 14 would probably make some sort of sense.
    It maybe was but still not good politics , sometimes people just need to think a bit about these things
    There's a very strict set of guidelines in terms of precedence for these things, so that those organising these things don't have to make up stuff on the spot. For heads of state the order is based on how long they have been in office.
    FFS even if there's a protocol if you're in charge you can change it. Otherwise no point in being in charge.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,719
    rcs1000 said:

nico679 said:

Apparently the protocol was royals from other countries take precedence but Macron was seated row 6 , still ahead of Biden.

Macron self identifies as a Royal.
    So funny ! I actually really like him , he’s a class act and has shown that in spades over the last week .
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,475
    President Macron is a "co-prince" of Andorra.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Maybe it was done alphabetically - I can’t be arsed to see/work out who was between them but France being 6 and USA being 14 would probably make some sort of sense.
    It maybe was but still not good politics , sometimes people just need to think a bit about these things
    There's a very strict set of guidelines in terms of precedence for these things, so that those organising these things don't have to make up stuff on the spot. For heads of state the order is based on how long they have been in office.
    FFS even if there's a protocol if you're in charge you can change it. Otherwise no point in being in charge.
    For what purpose? To lavish praise on one country in particular at the expense of others? I would argue changing the protocol just for him would offend (maybe too strong a word) more leaders than it impresses.
  • Options
    Sean loves to cancel people that don’t agree with him. Ironic.

@Omnium I thought you talked a lot of sense
  • Options

For the first time in what feels like ages* I have put a jumper on at home. Can certainly feel the temperature starting to drop. I was determined to get to October without putting the gas on. Not sure I'll make it now.

*Probably about 3 months.

Try Cumbria. -1C at Shap overnight yesterday.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I am cathartised

I am sure a nice young nurse can help you out with that. Though it does sound painful.
    If you haven’t blubbed yet, I suggest reviewing the day’s events, then listen to this

https://youtu.be/YxUlboN70GI
    I cried. But then I cried at Frozen and Tinkerbell: Secret of the Wings so I'm just a wuss.
    I am a total mess every time I watch Frozen. It is a very moving film. Although Toy Story 3 and Casablanca are probably the biggest tear fests for me.
    Now I need to try and remember if it was Paddington or Paddington 2 that made me very.
    Cry. Edit function AWOL.
    Probably both. But heart of stone if you don't blub at the end of 2.
    I'm in.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    TimS said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

🥂
    Cava is ugely underrated stuff, why people pay lots more for carbonated prosecco is a mystery (cava is methode champenoise). I drink enough good champagne to not bother with the cheapies.

And anyway my gf who was coming round to drink the good stuff used to groom for, produce and show HMQ Highland ponies for her. So there.
    I just don't get on with non-champagne bubbles remember when everyone was going crazy about Cremant de this, that and the other.

Morrisons “extra special” own label English Sparkling is actually 2010 Nyetimber and was only about £24 last time I looked.
    That is very useful intelligence.
    IshmaelZ said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

🥂

TY for that.
    Just bought a case!
  • Options
    It’s going to be a very cold winter I feel
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,856

Whereas Selégolène Royal was just a commoner.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

🥂

TY for that.

I've just bought a case and in my experience supermarkets will take things back for no particular reason.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,918

That's absolutely right, and I'd forgotten about that.

Good spot.
  • Options

As much as I love cold weather and snow and lurking on Netweather all winter, I hope not, for all those who will struggle with costs to heat their homes.
  • Options
    Unbelievably quiet in Camden tonight. The quietest I can remember. It is more silent than Xmas day
  • Options

paulyork64 asked: "Sounds bad but I was thinking isn't an F hurricane very late in September or am I just misremembering my ? Has it been a quiet season?"

Category 1 is the weakest and -- so far -- it has been a very quiet season. But the immense amounts of rainfall in a short period, as happened with Fiona in Puerto Rico, can do terrible damage, even if the winds are -- for a hurricane -- not all that strong.

Right now it is hitting the Domincan Republic, and is, the forecasters say, headed for Newfoundland, by Saturday morning.

Newfoundland hurricane. That must be rare. Anything in Haiti? Think they were saying overnight that protesters had cut off the water supply to the capital. They seem to get no luck at all.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I am cathartised

I am sure a nice young nurse can help you out with that. Though it does sound painful.
    If you haven’t blubbed yet, I suggest reviewing the day’s events, then listen to this

https://youtu.be/YxUlboN70GI
    I cried. But then I cried at Frozen and Tinkerbell: Secret of the Wings so I'm just a wuss.
    I am a total mess every time I watch Frozen. It is a very moving film. Although Toy Story 3 and Casablanca are probably the biggest tear fests for me.
    Now I need to try and remember if it was Paddington or Paddington 2 that made me very.
    Cry. Edit function AWOL.
    If on a phone just select Show desktop version, then you can edit.
    Ahhh thnx.
  • Options

As much as I love cold weather and snow and lurking on Netweather all winter, I hope not, for all those who will struggle with costs to heat their homes.
    Are there long term forecasts yet?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

🥂

TY for that.

I've just bought a case and in my experience supermarkets will take things back for no particular reason.
    At its best nyetimber is superb. So £20 a bottle is def a bargain if it’s up to snuff
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878
    SeanT said:

Unbelievably quiet in Camden tonight. The quietest I can remember. It is more silent than Xmas day

Buzzing here. Tesco rammed and every pub full.

It is Leith though.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

SeanT said:

It is Leith though.
    I guess you have to make the best of the balmy 10C weather. Won’t last forever
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

For what purpose? To lavish praise on one country in particular at the expense of others? I would argue changing the protocol just for him would offend (maybe too strong a word) more leaders than it impresses.
    Only if they know what the protocol was. I never knew there was one and it could have been changed years ago.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Snow yes, cold no - it's a pleasure for 24 hours then it's a pain in the arse.

got my chimneys swept today. Sweep very happy with the volume of business he is getting.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,380
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

IshmaelZ said:

🥂

TY for that.

At its best nyetimber is superb. So £20 a bottle is def a bargain if it’s up to snuff
    You mean this one?

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/morrisons-the-best-english-sparkling-brut-vintage-2010-480635011
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,581
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/19/kwarteng-tax-cut-likely-to-give-lowest-paid-just-63p-a-month-says-ifs

Hmm ... not looking like a good morning bacj to work for Ms Truss and Mr Kwarteng tomorrow.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    SeanT said:

No Royals around to go slumming it....
  • Options
    We’re all Caroleans now.
  • Options
    If the only significant controversy in the post-match analysis is the precise seating location of Biden and Macron, I can only assume that today was a great success?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    Eabhal said:

SeanT said:

It is Leith though.
    Out and about in East Ham this morning. A number of shops open in the High Street - I saw people working on buildings and the small supermarkets open were doing good business as they had no competition from Tesco, Sainsbury or Lidl all of which were closed.

Quite a few people out and about - a few families, younger men as well.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Eabhal said:

SeanT said:

It is Leith though.
    Equinox on Thursday. Brrrrrr!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Are there long term forecasts yet?
    It’s another La Niña winter, so may well be blocked long term. Where the blocks are governs the weather we will see.

Generally though long term forecasts are chocolate tea pot like.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/19/kwarteng-tax-cut-likely-to-give-lowest-paid-just-63p-a-month-says-ifs

Hmm ... not looking like a good morning bacj to work for Ms Truss and Mr Kwarteng tomorrow.

Personally I was against the national insurance hike, so it would be hypocritical of me to moan about its cancellation.

But I feel in my bones that the Truss/Kwarteng project is already doomed.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,856
    SeanT said:

Eabhal said:

SeanT said:

It is Leith though.
    You are mistaken, there is always Sunshine on Leith.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

got my chimneys swept today. Sweep very happy with the volume of business he is getting.
    Hopefully we're not to be seeing people burning "nutty slack" in the grate - perhaps one reminder too many of events from 70 years ago.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878
    SeanT said:

Eabhal said:

SeanT said:

It is Leith though.
    Actually quite balmy this evening. I hope it chills down a bit more - got a race coming up, and as @CorrectHorseBattery3 noted earlier, need the cold for a PB.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

A bright crisp winters day walk with a warm house/pub at the end is one of winters joys.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Eabhal said:

SeanT said:

It is Leith though.
    Out and about in East Ham this morning. A number of shops open in the High Street - I saw people working on buildings and the small supermarkets open were doing good business as they had no competition from Tesco, Sainsbury or Lidl all of which were closed.

Quite a few people out and about - a few families, younger men as well.
    Bank Holiday Brighton has been pretty lively all day, with the pier and the seafront bars heaving. Not everybody has been glued to their TVs.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

SeanT said:

It is Leith though.
    Tesco rammed yesterday. We bought dinner for today but after a light lunch and too much to drink following events it is now tomorrow's dinner.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Carnyx said:

Personally I was against the national insurance hike, so it would be hypocritical of me to moan about its cancellation.

Well one thing it should do is make the Tory vote posher again, most of the lower earning Boris voting, working class oiks in the redwall will go back to Labour. Truss and Kwarteng however through their tax cuts mainly for the rich and high earners might shore up the Tory vote in the Home counties and West London that had been leaking to the LDs
  • Options
    edited September 2022

RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Only if they know what the protocol was. I never knew there was one and it could have been changed years ago.
    Your argument is that because you didn’t know they would be okay with the change? I can assure you they are well aware of protocols in these areas.

It’s a protocol used worldwide. Not just in the UK.
  • Options
    The Tory leadership contest seems an age ago.

Sunak Rishi? Who he?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I like that after a whole day's coverage of the funeral, the BBC continuity announcer said "And next the News".

Now of course there is Ukraine and the price of gas, etc, but what do we think will be filling up 96% of the BBC News.

Is there some obscure news story about the BBC itself to fill up the news? That's what they love talking about more than anything else.

Ooh here we go, "why was Killing Eve actress at the Queen's funeral": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62955178
  • Options
    7.5 magnitude quake off mexico, tsunami warning issued
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

There was pre-event commentary about Alphabetical Order putting Israel next to .. er .. Iraq, and (potentially) Iran.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I like that after a whole day's coverage of the funeral, the BBC continuity announcer said "And next the News".

Now of course there is Ukraine and the price of gas, etc, but what do we think will be filling up 96% of the BBC News.

Is there some obscure news story about the BBC itself to fill up the news? That's what they love talking about more than anything else.

Ooh here we go, "why was Killing Eve actress at the Queen's funeral": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62955178
    noticed Big Suze from Peep Show got an invite as well = probably nearer the front than the US President!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Your argument is that because you didn’t know they would be okay with the change? I can assure you they are well aware of protocols in these areas.

Well if the whole world knows and accepts the protocol then Biden won't be offended.
  • Options

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Alternative you use your moral authority of being in charge to deal with stuff that matters, and leave petty crap like this to protocol instead.

There's a reason these protocols exist, precisely so that you don't have to get involved with this, because people don't want to.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Well if the whole world knows and accepts the protocol then Biden won't be offended.
    Precisely my point. We know it’s not a snub, and so does he.
  • Options
    MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

There was pre-event commentary about Alphabetical Order putting Israel next to .. er .. Iraq, and (potentially) Iran.
    There's a brilliant Yes, Minister sketch about that.

Since its from the eighties, it adds that "no, adding Ireland doesn't make it better".
  • Options

We’re all Caroleans now.

Carolingians? Neo-Carolingians?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Well one thing it should do is make the Tory vote posher again, most of the lower earning Boris voting, working class oiks in the redwall will go back to Labour. Truss and Kwarteng however through their tax cuts mainly for the rich and high earners might shore up the Tory vote in the Home counties and West London that had been leaking to the LDs
    Depends why the posh Home Counties types abandoned the Conservatives. If it's because of you-know-what, or because the Conservatives don't seem like nice people right now, it will have to be a damn big bung to buy them back into the fold.

Though I don't think there's any intention to do anything about the freezing of tax thresholds, even though inflation means that is a massively bigger tax increase than Sunak intended.

For all its symbolic importance, the on-off NI changes are relatively piddling.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

It was probably just a convenient position from which to make his escape to Stansted
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099
    In other news:

Donetsk itself appears to be being shelled.

A further sign the Ukrainians don’t intend to stop with the recapture of Izyum.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

National Insurance hike...Truss...Kwarteng...

Now I know why we all appreciated the Queen's funeral so much. None of this politics malarkey.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,213
    RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

The whole point of such protocol formulae is to avoid offending people - “it’s the agreed rules, based on your seniority.”

Otherwise you are straight back to “my best mate, at the moment”.
  • Options

The Tory leadership contest seems an age ago.

Sunak Rishi? Who he?

Boris Johnson? Who he?

It is so often the case that the wicked spread themselves like the green bay tree, that seeing such a complete and utter c--t getting such a perfect comeuppance was one of the delights of the day. No amount of millions on the lecture circuit gonna compensate for a day like this of thinking it could have been MEEE.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

In other news:

Donetsk itself appears to be being shelled.

A further sign the Ukrainians don’t intend to stop with the recapture of Izyum.

Recapturing Donetsk would be a massive blow. Hopefully they'll get at least one more big city before the winter freezes the conflict, then next year can be about finishing off this war and liberating Crimea itself.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,519
    edited September 2022
    Deleted - miscounted.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Depends why the posh Home Counties types abandoned the Conservatives. If it's because of you-know-what, or because the Conservatives don't seem like nice people right now, it will have to be a damn big bung to buy them back into the fold.

Though I don't think there's any intention to do anything about the freezing of tax thresholds, even though inflation means that is a massively bigger tax increase than Sunak intended.

Indeed, I think Sunak's plans did more for low and middle earners and did not involve scrappingthe 48 hour week as Truss wants to do. Truss and Kwarteng's plans are focused on high earners.

You may also be right, Westminster and Esher and Walton and Guildford might already be lost because of Brexit and as Starmer scares them less than Corbyn. It might just be the Tory core vote in Leave voting areas of the Home counties Truss shores up, while losing the redwall while the remaining Tory Remain seats have already been mostly lost
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Probably on the quiet though Charles and William were almost certainly Remainers.

The Queen Mother was reportedly a big Thatcher and UKIP fan though, so the Queen was less hardline than her mother on the EU
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Deleted - miscounted.

I don't think it updates in real time....

ETA except it seems to have ticked up accurately for me.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,475
    paulyork64 asked: "Newfoundland hurricane. That must be rare. Anything in Haiti? Think they were saying overnight that protesters had cut off the water supply to the capital. They seem to get no luck at all."

Fiona is predicted to be much weaker by the time it gets that far north. (And, of course, hurrcane paths are difficult to predict, so it may not get anywhere near Newfoundland.)

I assume Fiona hit Haiti as well, though perhaps not as hard, but given the fact that Haiti doesn't have a functioning government at the moment, it will be days before we know how badly they were hit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

On Heads of State they are ranked by time in office - so of course Macron was well ahead of Biden.
  • Options
    stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hopefully we're not to be seeing people burning "nutty slack" in the grate - perhaps one reminder too many of events from 70 years ago.
    Artefact of rationing, apparently, so hopefully not.
  • Options
    Interesting to note that, outside of the UK and parts of the Commonwealth, the Ukrainians might be paying the most fulsome tributes on the passing of Queen Elizabeth. There was this statement by the Ukr think tank, the Centre for Defence Strategies.

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1571929322918744068
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

On Heads of State they are ranked by time in office - so of course Macron was well ahead of Biden.
    Indeed and so two weeks ago the Queen had the highest seniority in the world, whereas now Charles has the lowest seniority in the world. Ironically lower than many heads of state within the Commonwealth.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

I think the NI changes will be getting political focus, as the Energy stuff seems (afaics) so far to be at least competent. There's still time for it to go wrong politically, of course.

Been reading this afternoon a piece about the Govt not doing any preparation over the summer, and I'm not convinced at this point. We'll see how it works out.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Deleted - miscounted.

I think you're right - I seem to be stuck on 4,999 posts. So, this was meant to be my 5,000th post:

To seek the approval of fellow PBers, I have decided to dedicate my 5,000th post on this forum to the memory of HMQ.

At my current rate of posting since joining this august body, I calculate that if I happen to reach 96, I’ll be within striking distance of 50,000. To reach the dizzying heights of 100,000, achieved by supreme posters, I shall need to live to around 130. I think I’ll give that a miss.
    You are there now, congratulations.
  • Options

paulyork64 asked: "Newfoundland hurricane. That must be rare. Anything in Haiti? Think they were saying overnight that protesters had cut off the water supply to the capital. They seem to get no luck at all."

Fiona is predicted to be much weaker by the time it gets that far north. (And, of course, hurrcane paths are difficult to predict, so it may not get anywhere near Newfoundland.)

I assume Fiona hit Haiti as well, though perhaps not as hard, but given the fact that Haiti doesn't have a functioning government at the moment, it will be days before we know how badly they were hit.

Next in line for Fiona would be the Turks and Caicos which is a British Overseas Territory and apparently the third largest in terms of population with just under 60,000 people.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited September 2022
    We joke about Macron, but he's Prince of Andorra isn't he?

EDIT: I see that this has already been pointed out.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    Opening parliament 2017. Nothing is accidental.

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

Deleted - miscounted.

(I think you're right - I seem to be stuck on 4,999 posts. So, this was meant to be my 5,000th post)

To seek the approval of fellow PBers, I have decided to dedicate my 5,000th post on this forum to the memory of HMQ.

At my current rate of posting since joining this august body, I calculate that if I happen to reach 96, I’ll be within striking distance of 50,000. To reach the dizzying heights of 100,000, achieved by supreme posters, I shall need to live to around 130. I think I’ll give that a miss.
    The first rule of PB is the quality of your posts is inversely proportional to the quantity.

The second rule is your first post is always your best.
  • Options

Suspect he was there in his capacity as head of the French state, and not representing Andorra.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    stodge said:

Next in line for Fiona would be the Turks and Caicos which is a British Overseas Territory and apparently the third largest in terms of population with just under 60,000 people.
    Yes its third largest after the Caymans and Bermuda (78k and 64k). Presumably the naval presence will be on standby to assist
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    RobD said:

Suspect he was there in his capacity as head of the French state, and not representing Andorra.
    Of course - but that does affect royal "precedence"?

I don't know obviously.
  • Options

RobD said:

Of course - but that does affect royal "precedence"?

I don't know obviously.
    It's a matter of hats.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Indeed, I think Sunak's plans did more for low and middle earners and did not involve scrappingthe 48 hour week as Truss wants to do. Truss and Kwarteng's plans are focused on high earners.

You may also be right, Westminster and Esher and Walton and Guildford might already be lost because of Brexit and as Starmer scares them less than Corbyn. It might just be the Tory core vote in Leave voting areas of the Home counties Truss shores up, while losing the redwall while the remaining Tory Remain seats have already been mostly lost
    Do you not know that most people don't vote out of self-interesr, but for what they perceive to be the general good? Of course their perception is mainly based in their own experiences, so the outcome may actually come closer to selfishness than they realise.
  • Options
    New era. New thread.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Unless, of course, she saw the need to unite the country after the Leave vote, and get remoaners back on board HMS Britannia (captained by the Royals)

From all that we’ve learned about her, I suspect that was her thinking. A remarkably subtle woman

• Options

At French state occasions their cavalry, and Paris, look magnificent.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,719
    L
    Foxy said:

Those that actually lived during the war I suspect were more remain having seen for themselves the horrors of that time . I think it’s amazing though that the Queen managed to not say anything politically controversial for 70 years . It must have been very frustrating at times to have to remain quiet even when I’m sure certain things made her Majesty very annoyed and upset .
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    On energy, the balance amongst increases is interesting. Random reflections.

4-5 months ago there was a lot of stuff about "why have Standing Charges gone up by 100%, and now make up 75% of my bill - I demand that they all be abolished NOW".

This time it is elec up 20%, gas up 40%, and standing charges up about 4% (gas) and 2% (electric).

Fortunately the motivation to reduce usage is preserved by the cap being done per unit.

Expect people with both types to switch from electric showers to gas, since they more or less use a fixed amount of kWh per shower, and gas is under 1/3 of the price of elec per unit.

Good (fortuitous?) political timing of the £400 sub for everyone, which will keep the rise in 'typical' bills to 6.5%. The £67 per month payments start in 2 weeks.

6 months of hysterical stories in newspapers about £4000, no £5000, no £6000 energy bills may make practical 'typical' bills of around £2000 them seem smaller.

The next batch of extra payments for those on benefits or who get the Winter Fuel Payment (whatever it is called now) start tomorrow.

Most domestic users I know have already had emails from their suppliers telling them what is happening more or less over the next two years.

That lot may have drawn some teeth from the prominence of the issue for voters, I'd say.

We need to hear about business, and what is happening wrt supporting those on low incomes.

So politics will be about process and the possibility power cuts, not prices. WHERE IS THE BIGGER WINDFALL TAX !!!, YOUR FAIRY LIGHTS MAY GO OUT !!!.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Can we keep Brexit out of this please? On both sides?
  • Options
    Russia's military disaster in graphic form.

Some on PB, naming no names, were still telling us in August that Putin had got this one.

Dmitry Grozoubinski
    @DmitryOpines
    ·
    2h
    Just incredible to think Russian troops spent all of March basically in Kyiv's outer suburbs and have been pushed back so hard the frontlines are now only about 200km closer to Kyiv than they are to Moscow.

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1571896428422918146
  • Options
    nico679 said:

L

Foxy said:

Those that actually lived during the war I suspect were more remain having seen for themselves the horrors of that time . I think it’s amazing though that the Queen managed to not say anything politically controversial for 70 years . It must have been very frustrating at times to have to remain quiet even when I’m sure certain things made her Majesty very annoyed and upset .
    But don't forget she had access every day to all Cabinet papers and could express her views every week for an hour or so with the PM in strictest secrecy. I rather suspect any frustrations were subtly made known to which ever short term pol wretch was currently her PM.

• Options

Carnyx said:

This is exactly the time to make the difficult decisions for the good of the country.

Remove the National insurance upper earnings limit. Make it the same rate on all earned income rather than having a reduced rate for the higher earners.
    Introduce National Insurance for pensioners.

I want lower taxes overall but I also want taxation to be fairer. Making it so the more you earn the lower your rate of NI is not equitable.
  • Options
    On Ukraine, Perun has an interesting summary of the war over the last 6-7 months out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B93tLs39pQo

A few weeks ago the Ukraine war was one of attrition and grinding advances, with Russian attacks in the Donbass an Ukrainian actions in Kherson both running into heavy defensive operations.

Then suddenly the Ukrainians launched their operation in Kharkiv Oblast, and within less than a fortnight, the Ukrainians would reclaim more territory than Russian forces had gained in months of bombardment and attrition-driven advances.

The war in Ukraine began with desperate defensive operations by the Ukrainian armed forces and population. Russian forces ended the first days pushing on the Ukrainian capital as the Ukrainians called for anyone capable of holding a rifle to stand up to defend the capital.

Now, it sees Ukrainian mobile units launching exploitation operations and forcing storied units like 1st Guards Tank Army to give up its positions at Izium rather than risk encirclement.

It's a heck of a story, one for the history books - and while it's still an evolving situation and data is thin, I thought it was worth asking three questions.

What the heck just happened, how did it happen, and what does that mean for the war to come?
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options

RobD said:

boulay said:

nico679 said:

Methinks about the LAST thing Joe Biden would want to do while in the UK, is jump the queue (not The Queue but the Heads of State line) at QEII's state funeral.

BTW (and FYI) here is a photo taken of the funeral procession behind the casket of the late King Edward VII in 1910, featuring ex-President Theodore Roosevelt at the back of the gaggle of foreign sovereigns and other high dignitaries.

If that was good enough for Teddy Roosevelt, am damn sure it's good enough for Joe Biden. And reckon Joe thinks so too.

Plus TR had to carry his own coat!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Absolutely, and her spokeswoman’s scornful laugh to the question of whether the Queen supported Brexit told its own story.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050
    Eabhal said:

SeanT said:

It is Leith though.
    Love Leith. Especially the craft beer bar not far from Tom Kitchin’s excellent restaurant.
This discussion has been closed.