Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

And so the Queen’s coffin arrives in Westminster – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2022 in General
And so the Queen’s coffin arrives in Westminster – politicalbetting.com

Queen Elizabeth II's coffin has arrived at Westminster Hall on the parliamentary estate where hundreds of thousands of people are preparing to pay their respects over a five-day Lying-in-State pic.twitter.com/MTKtgJe1nH

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    First.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    second. like QE was.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    third like Charles
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Have they used the coffin to cover up the plaque about the trial of Charles I. Might be a discordant note for the occasion otherwise.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    edited September 2022
    Lovely to see the central role of the Earl Marshal, who we know is the Duke of Norfolk. If we ignore the fact he ponces about living in Arundel, it confirms Norfolk is the most important county of the UK and you must all defer to me and other Norfolk posters due to our seniority.

Lovely to see the central role of the Earl Marshal, who we know is the Duke of Norfolk. If we ignore the fact he ponces about living in Arundel, it confirms Norfolk is the most important county of the UK and you must all defer to me and other Norfolk posters due to our seniority.

Duke of Norfolk lives in Sussex. Duke of Devonshire lives in Derbyshire. Duke of Cambridge/Cornwall lives in neither. Do any of them live where they are Duke of?
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022

And very close family networks ! Alan Partridge also lives among you, ofcourse. Wasn't East Anglia the most important, prized part of the country during the Civil War ?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Isn't there some tale of Alfred the Great and spiders in Norfolk. Other than Greene King it seems there's little to be said since!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tanks driven by ACTUAL SOLDIERS are surely doomed. They are pointless, tragic deathtraps

There will be a role for unmanned vehicles driven either entirely by AI or with the help of some guy in Swindon 3000 miles away sitting bored at a screen

This is the future of war. Soldiers won’t die. Civilians will. At the hands of drones and ai machines

Oh God, you're on your AI mastabatery again. There's a great trend amongst the stupid or credulous that "AI" (*) is the solution to any problem.

It isn't. Take the above: the main purpose of a tank is to take ground off the enemy. To do that, you need infantry. They're an infantry support vehicle with an effing big gun designed to take out other infantry support vehicles with effing bug guns, hardpoints, or in Russia's case, civilian cars. They augment ground forces.

In addition, tanks go wrong. Often. They need basic maintenance, from repairs to tracks to refuelling and rearming. Things the crew can do.

There have been attempts at unmanned ground vehicles, but they haven't really got very far. As an example, Russia has had the Uran-9 for six years. So what are we not seeing them in Ukraine? Perhaps because they don't work very well...

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/uran-9-unmanned-ground-combat-vehicle/

(*) Usually a simple ML program written by a drunken undergraduate at the University of West Scotland.
    Drones are taking over from planes. The same will happen in every theatre of war. It’s obvious to all but the terminally clueless
    You are Duncan Sandys and I demand my five-pound note.

(As you won't know, Duncan Sandys was the Minister of Defence who scrapped loads of the UK's plane projects in favour of missiles and unmanned systems, which were 'obviously' better. That was in 1957. We still have manned planes 65 years later.)
    Keeping pilots alive takes up a lot of space in a plane. It means they are bigger than they should be. It also makes them much more expensive, and limits - for example - the G-Forces they can pull.

If you lose a drone, you might lose a $5m piece of kit. If you lose a F35, you have lost a $85m piece of kit, and you have lost an incredibly hard to replace pilot.

You can swarm a target with drones and accept a 50% attrition rate. Try doing that with human beings.

Aerial warfare is going to go all drone in the medium term: first (as now) with remote pilots. But over time they will get increasingly augmented with technology.
    Has anyone made a drone for shooting down other drones yet?
    Broadly speaking, there are two working classes of drones: reconnaissance (which go from hand launched to vey large) and ground attack.

The US is currently building tanker drones, which would loiter behind the front line, or even accompany other vehicles on missions.

And there are a number of well funded projects to build "fighter" drones, that would shoot down both drones and manned aircraft. Some are are part of the US "loyal wingman" programme, while others are planning on producing much more autonomous vehicles that would have long linger times, and would be able to defend airspace.
  • kle4 said:

Have they used the coffin to cover up the plaque about the trial of Charles I. Might be a discordant note for the occasion otherwise.

FYI (also BTW) the Queen's reception room (or whatever they call it) in the House of Lords section of the Palace of Westminster, features a copy of the death warrant of Charles I.

A rather pointed reminder to the Sovereign, believe that's the point.
    So is the statue of Olly Cromwell, the best head of state we ever had.

He was so awesome only someone descended from him could replace him.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

Duke of Norfolk lives in Sussex. Duke of Devonshire lives in Derbyshire. Duke of Cambridge/Cornwall lives in neither. Do any of them live where they are Duke of?
    Didn’t we establish on last thread that the dual Dukes of Hazard live in Hazard County?

The really sad thing about the Queen’s death is the lack of global coverage of the absolute beating Ukraine 🇺🇦 are giving the Russians.

This is huge, it feels only Sir Laurence Olivier should commentate on it.

It means people will be pleasantly surprised to find out, and wont get carried away.

kle4 said:

FYI (also BTW) the Queen's reception room (or whatever they call it) in the House of Lords section of the Palace of Westminster, features a copy of the death warrant of Charles I.

I think you'd be very dead if you called him Olly.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    Omnium said:

Isn't there some tale of Alfred the Great and spiders in Norfolk. Other than Greene King it seems there's little to be said since!
    Bit odd, he was a furriner almost as much as the Danes were. What would he be doing there? Had plenty fens of his own in Wessex.

The embryo Admiral Nelson could be added to the credit list, and the pub opposite Blickling Hall (best ploughman's I ever had).

kle4 said:

Should have been Henry.

kle4 said:

Love it . They never mentioned it when I took the tour.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

kle4 said:

It's tit-for-tat with these kind of things. The monarch keeps a hostage at the palace while they are opening parliament.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Duke of Northumberland lives in Alnwick Castle when he isn't in London.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022

Well, it's a bit of a baronial Norman racket, if we're honest and I think we all know.

kle4 said:

Royalty did *not* like his commemoration, even by one W.Churchill.

https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/hms-cromwell-naming-warships/

And very close family networks ! Alan Partridge also lives amongst you. Wasn't East Anglia the most important prized part of the country during the Civil War ?
    During all wars, ever. Amongst its Lavender fields lies majesty. The county that held up the advance of the glaciars in the last ice age, our terminal moraine is the grave of those frozen gods that sought to entomb us forever in ice.

That's a fact impossible to overlook, Sussex is where the wiser people from Norfolk escape. The best county by far.
    edited September 2022
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

'Twould be the hand of divine providence striking thee down.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,237
    edited September 2022
    NH Primary 2022 - Republican for US Senate, to run against Democratic incumbent Sen. Maggie Hassan

Updated 6m ago
    89% REPORTED
    Donald Bolduc
    49,944 37.0%
    Chuck Morse
    48,526 36.0%
    Kevin Smith
    15,801 11.7%
    Total reported

Still too close to call (at least AP has yet to call it) but suspect that MAGA maniac Gen. Bolduc will prevail in the end; NOT in the general election however.

BTW, that noted Wokeist, RINO and New Hampster Corey Lewandowski pointedly urged his former boss (guess who?) NOT to endorse the General, on grounds that his nomination would ensure re-election of Sen Hassan in this key battleground for control of the US Senate.

EDIT, this just in - NYT -Live Updates: With Concession, New Hampshire Is Set to Add Another Election Denier to Ballot

Don Bolduc’s top rival conceded in the Republican Senate primary in New Hampshire, leaving some Republicans worried about a weak nominee against Senator Maggie Hassan this fall.
    Omnium said:

The county of Walpole and Nelson, England's second city. Heaven on Earth
  • boulay said:

Didn’t we establish on last thread that the dual Dukes of Hazard live in Hazard County?
    Not sure about them, but the Dukes of Hazzard lived in Hazzard County.
    Omnium said:

Norfolk was the power base of Mary Tudor before she returned to London to sort out Lady Jane Grey.

Omnium said:

Norfolk used to be important.
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Quite right, he was called Noll.

Omnium said:

Norfolk was the power base of Mary Tudor before she returned to London to sort out Lady Jane Grey.
    Come along. The beer wins!
    Jonathan said:

That's a fact impossible to overlook, Sussex is where the wiser people from Norfolk escape. The best county by far.
    We come to colonize. Norwich by the Downs
    edited September 2022
    That DCMS queuing Youtube movie has the most horrendous visual design complete with flashing light. queasymaking barber pole effect and a weird fade and rotate for the royal crown/cipher. You'd think they were trying to put folk off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NpZuGxSgZY
    edited September 2022

Omnium said:

I used to live alongside a road along which on stormy nights the headless Boleyn would be driven past in catrriage by four hell horses. Terrifying.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,717
    Omnium said:

East Anglia, or at least Suffolk, provided the chap who was England's patron saint before the foreigner George was selected by Richard. Richard himself almost never lived in England.

Jonathan said:

Omnium said:

Hey, it's more than most places get.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    The BBC are going to 'live stream' the Queen lying in state : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62900500

Jonathan said:

We come to colonize. Norwich by the Downs
    The success of London then - provisioning the endless caravans of war between Norfolk and Sussex that all ran out of supplies along the way.
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Omnium said:

Hey, it's more than most places get.
    Certainly in the ability to count natrually to base 12.
  • MISTY said:

The really sad thing about the Queen’s death is the lack of global coverage of the absolute beating Ukraine 🇺🇦 are giving the Russians.

The World at War is surely the best piece of English narration ever.
    That or the Ascent of Man
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Omnium said:

Cakes? Spiders was Rob da Bruce
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Norfolk and Chance is of course the finest legal firm in East Anglia

"Doolittle and Dalley" are the best estate agents in Kidderminster.
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

Cakes is Somerset - somewhere in the Levels, Brent or Athelney or something.
  • With respect to Ukraine, am surprised that the Prime Minister is NOT making hay out of recent Putinist rout on Kharkiv front? Especially given British contribution AND fact that she was Foreign Secretary who confronted (or at least out-hatted) Mad Vlad in his own lair on the eve of Russian (last) invasion?

Would seem to be easy way of showing that she is NOT just a minor extra bit player in the moving (in more ways than one) national (un-woke) wake for the late QEII.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    That was an incredible spectacle and very intense. Makes you wonder what the funeral will be like on Monday.

MISTY said:

Bronowski is awesome, but he does rather send me to sleep.Getting to the point isn't his strongest suit.
    ohnotnow said:

The BBC are going to 'live stream' the Queen lying in state : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62900500

...and we complain about the cost of our licence fee?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

The other piece of news is that, apparently, the details of the energy bills help for businesses has not yet been worked out and it could be November before details are released. Which will be too late for many.

Not. Good. Enough.
    GIN1138 said:

That was an incredible spectacle and very intense. Makes you wonder what the funeral will be like on Monday.

Raining!

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,959
    edited September 2022
    Cyclefree said:

The other piece of news is that, apparently, the details of the energy bills help for businesses has not yet been worked out and it could be November before details are released. Which will be too late for many.

Not. Good. Enough.
    Liz Truss, just not good enough.

Our office closedown starts next month.
  • With respect to Ukraine, am surprised that the Prime Minister is NOT making hay out of recent Putinist rout on Kharkiv front? Especially given British contribution AND fact that she was Foreign Secretary who confronted (or at least out-hatted) Mad Vlad in his own lair on the eve of Russian (last) invasion?

Would seem to be easy way of showing that she is NOT just a minor extra bit player in the moving (in more ways than one) national (un-woke) wake for the late QEII.

It's early days, and reverses can happen. Ukraine have captured a large area of territory, but they haven't yet knocked Russia out of the war. Claiming victory now might come back and bite her. It's a time for the government to be "cautiously optimistic" and proud of our help to a new-found friend.

In what way could she make a political intervention in the current context? It would be inappropriate.

sounds more like an ITV police comedy/drama.
  • Norfolk and Chance is of course the finest legal firm in East Anglia

Their rivals, established when one of the Norfolk brothers left to set up a new firm with a colleague, Norfolk and Way, most strongly disagree.

ohnotnow said:

live-streaming something from a fixed camera must be pretty low cost these days.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,247
    To return to more important matters, I am having a cortado and a glass of white in Bar Santa Ana, the famous bullfighters’ bar in the old gypsy quarter of Triana, Seville, across the Guadalquivir. It’s a bit like Millwall but with more fried bulls’ cullions and militant Catholicism

edited September 2022

It is genuine, check it out. Is there a more apt title for an Estate Agents business?

But I see your point.

Omnium said:

East Anglia, or at least Suffolk, provided the chap who was England's patron saint before the foreigner George was selected by Richard. Richard himself almost never lived in England.

Not necessarily Suffolk. He was merely buried there, near the battle site (likely Hoxne, on the Norfolk Suffolk border)
    He'd probably have ruled from Elmham in Norfolk, possibly Dunwich which is Suffolk
    edited September 2022
    Any more Norfolk doubting and i shall begin posting a series of traditional Norfolk recipes
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

That DCMS queuing Youtube movie has the most horrendous visual design complete with flashing light. queasymaking barber pole effect and a weird fade and rotate for the royal crown/cipher. You'd think they were trying to put folk off.

"The queue is currently approx 2.5 miles long". A nice mix of 2.5 for the metric martyrs and miles for the imperial pedants, but why the abbreviation "approx" rather than the whole word "about"? (The landmark and w3w change frequently.)
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

A mere technicality.
    Cyclefree said:

Not. Good. Enough.
    Truss got to where she was by photocopying trade deals. nothing to copy here so we wait.
  • MISTY said:

Anything by James Burke - Connections in particular.

Any more Norfolk doubting and i shall begin posting a series of traditional Norfolk recipes

do they all have turkey in them?
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

Cakes is Somerset - somewhere in the Levels, Brent or Athelney or something.
    Yes where he ran away to like a typical Wessex yellow belly and burnt some poor housewifes muffins
    edited September 2022

ohnotnow said:

live-streaming something from a fixed camera must be pretty low cost these days.
    The 30 or so top self-employed perepetetic journos they have covering the event- not so much.

It is genuine, check it out. Is there a more apt title for an Estate Agents business?

But I see your point.
    ah right. i assumed it was a joke. nice one.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Bloody hell. BLOODY HELL.

Just got stuck behind King's Tp, RHA as they trit-trotted back to their boxes (sadly no longer at St. John's Wood), with their gun carriages and every bit of kit gleaming in the sun on the Marylebone Road and....

....I really wanted to go to the funeral. It will be absolutely stunning. I just saw the tiniest part of the ceremonials and they had done their bit and were on their way home. It is obvious that Monday will be immense.

Fuck knows what it means or whether it is therefore good or bad to be a Brit but it will be extraordinary.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770

NH Primary 2022 - Republican for US Senate, to run against Democratic incumbent Sen. Maggie Hassan

Updated 6m ago
    89% REPORTED
    Donald Bolduc
    49,944 37.0%
    Chuck Morse
    48,526 36.0%
    Kevin Smith
    15,801 11.7%
    Total reported

Still too close to call (at least AP has yet to call it) but suspect that MAGA maniac Gen. Bolduc will prevail in the end; NOT in the general election however.

BTW, that noted Wokeist, RINO and New Hampster Corey Lewandowski pointedly urged his former boss (guess who?) NOT to endorse the General, on grounds that his nomination would ensure re-election of Sen Hassan in this key battleground for control of the US Senate.

EDIT, this just in - NYT -Live Updates: With Concession, New Hampshire Is Set to Add Another Election Denier to Ballot

Don Bolduc’s top rival conceded in the Republican Senate primary in New Hampshire, leaving some Republicans worried about a weak nominee against Senator Maggie Hassan this fall.

I have three basic principles I apply to polls:

(1) The Republicans tend to be slightly understated. I like to add 10-20% of the undecided total to them. (It's a little spiral of silence adjustment I make.)

(2) Incumbents (unless very unpopular) tend to slightly outperform polls. Undecideds go with the devil they know. I therefore like to add 10-20% of the undecided total to them.

This means that some places that look close - like Florida - aren't really.

It also means that Georgia and Nevada are extremely close. (Pennsylvania, by contrast, is not.)

Omnium said:

Not necessarily Suffolk. He was merely buried there, near the battle site (likely Hoxne, on the Norfolk Suffolk border)
    He'd probably have ruled from Elmham in Norfolk, possibly Dunwich which is Suffolk
    His coronation was on the north side of the river Stour, near Bures.
    TOPPING said:

Just got stuck behind King's Tp, RHA as they trit-trotted back to their boxes (sadly no longer at St. John's Wood), with their gun carriages and every bit of kit gleaming in the sun on the Marylebone Road and....

....I really wanted to go to the funeral. It will be absolutely stunning. I just saw the tiniest part of the ceremonials and they had done their bit and were on their way home. It is obvious that Monday will be immense.

Fuck knows what it means or whether it is therefore good or bad to be a Brit but it will be extraordinary.

It will. We are giving her a proper send off. As befits

I can’t work out where to stand to watch
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited September 2022
    In the Mermaids vs Charity Commission/LGBA case, I’m not sure Jolyon’s thought this through:

Summing up the argument, Jo Maugham, director of Good Law Project, told PinkNews: "As every law student knows, if you make a four pronged instrument for manual digging you’ve made a fork, however much you insist you’ve made a spade."
    9/14

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1569998491660713986

What if it self-ids as a spade?

ohnotnow said:

The 30 or so top self-employed perepetetic journos they have covering the event- not so much.
    If Sky covered it they would have a counter of how many people had walked past, and a countdown clock bottom right showing how long left of the lying in state window to hundredths of a second.
    edited September 2022

do they all have turkey in them?
    No indeed. Plenty of bloater recipes, a traditional dinner for Plough Monday, some rector's syllabub, nom nom nom
    And, of course, proper dumplings that both sink and swim
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

It's a dead person in a box though. All funerals baffle me.
  • Any more Norfolk doubting and i shall begin posting a series of traditional Norfolk recipes

These Norfolk recipes, can you count them on the fingers of one hand? Or are there seven or more?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not going to have one.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,748

In the Mermaids vs Charity Commission/LGBA case, I’m not sure Jolyon’s thought this through:

Summing up the argument, Jo Maugham, director of Good Law Project, told PinkNews: "As every law student knows, if you make a four pronged instrument for manual digging you’ve made a fork, however much you insist you’ve made a spade."
    9/14

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1569998491660713986

What if it self-ids as a spade?

Or indeed, a baseball bat.
  • 5,000 Ukrainian troops have completed their training in the United Kingdom.
    That’s enough personnel to form a full-fledged brigade.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1570015226741035008
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Its not about them, not really. It's about us, and what we feel about them though.

Omnium said:

His coronation was on the north side of the river Stour, near Bures.
    Evidence for that is highly debatable. He was crowned by the Bishop of Elmham in 'burva' is all we know
    I bet they love the Queen in this place

Proper royalty, the church Militant, and a lust for bloodsports

The West is BACK

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    The weather is proving remarkably good for all this even if we're going to need rain at some point.
  • MISTY said:

No, this from Brian Blessed is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP11L9jRW94
    edited September 2022
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

The funeral is not for you though; it's to allow your nearest and dearest to mourn.

One of my cousins didn't want to have a big funeral, and we were discouraged from going. I've always felt sad about it.
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Nor will I. I do rather like tombstones though.
    Leon said:

I bet they love the Queen in this place

Proper royalty, the church Militant, and a lust for bloodsports

The West is BACK

Just under 50% of this post was a lot of bull.

Leon is making progress, but not quite there yet.
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Don't worry we'll have a whip 'round.
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

I’m gonna have a wild guess and say you’re an atheist as well
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

I’m gonna have a wild guess and say you’re an atheist as well
    Tick

These Norfolk recipes, can you count them on the fingers of one hand? Or are there seven or more?
    Im not sure, but we eat them out of the stolen diamond plimsoles of vanquished Eagles
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Wherever you stand, you'll need your binoculars to see from Seville.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 885
    Cyclefree said:

Not. Good. Enough.
    The energy bills for consumers are not clear either. The night rate for electricity is currently about 17p per kWh- If the cap is 34p per kWh and companies lift it to 34p - then consumers with economy 7 and similar plans will be facing a massive increase. On the other hand if they keep the night rate low at say 20p, then the increase in the day rate from the current 32.5p to 34p would suggest that we should all move to a cheaper night rate.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Carnyx said:

"The queue is currently approx 2.5 miles long". A nice mix of 2.5 for the metric martyrs and miles for the imperial pedants, but why the abbreviation "approx" rather than the whole word "about"? (The landmark and w3w change frequently.)
    And they'll all go to cost.flip.idea in New York
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Kidding, right? This is the Queen of England. It is if absolutely nothing else it is a momentous historical pageant and spectacle. Whatever you think about Monarchy you will see this country doing something it has done for hundreds of years, has not done for 70-odd years and will not do again for a decade or two.

Does it represent all that is good or bad with the country? Fuck knows but it is an "I was there" moment.

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

You'll need your binoculars from Seville.
    Posting on behalf of one of his Alter Egos!
    Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

Not. Good. Enough.
    The energy bills for consumers are not clear either. The night rate for electricity is currently about 17p per kWh- If the cap is 34p per kWh and companies lift it to 34p - then consumers with economy 7 and similar plans will be facing a massive increase. On the other hand if they keep the night rate low at say 20p, then the increase in the day rate from the current 32.5p to 34p would suggest that we should all move to a cheaper night rate.
    Are the two of you suggesting Truss doesn't know what she's doing?

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Who could possibly have expected that from her previous career of calamity and ineptitude?
This discussion has been closed.