Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so the Queen’s coffin arrives in Westminster – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited September 2022
    How many people are there in a 2.9 mile queue? If you allocate one foot of space per person, you are looking at just over 15,000. That doesn't seem too much to me. If the queue is moving at 1 mph, you are in for a three hour wait. Again, not horrific. To get to a 24 hour wait, you'd need a queue of something considerably over 100,000 people - or a queue of over 20 miles in length. That seems implausible. But my maths is pretty crap, so I could well have got it totally wrong!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

How many people are there in a 2.9 mile queue? If you allocate one foot of space per person, you are looking at just over 15,000. That doesn't seem too much to me. If the queue is moving at 1 mph, you are in for a three hour wait. Again, not horrific. To get to a 24 hour wait, you'd need a queue of something like 100,000 people - or a queue of over 20 miles in length. That seems implausible. But my maths is pretty crap, so I could well have got it totally wrong!

You're assuming people are one abreast. I would bet that the real number is more like 3-4.
  • Options

The only change from Sunday is that the Moderates took 1 late seat, at the expense of the Social Democrats. Probably the overseas voters.

The Social Democrats would have won if it had not been for the new Islamic party taking 1.5% of the vote.

I would have thought most of that 1.5% were transfers from non-voters or non-citizens, so it probably hasn't changed the result.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    edited September 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigel Farage has criticised the government for telling people not to travel to London for the funeral.

He also backed Putin.
    He is a voice of no consequence now.
    He hasnt backed Putin at all
    Here he is attacking the new King.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/21/ukip-nigel-farage-prince-charles-hitler_n_5363536.html
    Well, many have attacked Charles in the past. But on this front he's in rare company on the reason why.

What gets me most about his defence of Putin is not the bog standard far right/left trope that Putin was provoked (even if he was, and he wasn't, that'd still make it his fault), but that invasions are ok if you don't start out planning them, but decide it later.

Prince Charles has made those comments. I know some people feel that way about Putin. I think there’s a difference and the difference, I think, is that right from the very start Hitler was expansionist and we haven’t seen much evidence of that until now from Putin and arguably what’s happened in the Ukraine is because he’s been poked with a stick by the rest of the world
  • Options

How many people are there in a 2.9 mile queue? If you allocate one foot of space per person, you are looking at just over 15,000. That doesn't seem too much to me. If the queue is moving at 1 mph, you are in for a three hour wait. Again, not horrific. To get to a 24 hour wait, you'd need a queue of something considerably over 100,000 people - or a queue of over 20 miles in length. That seems implausible. But my maths is pretty crap, so I could well have got it totally wrong!

Crowd size estimates are norotiously bad and wide ranging, so line number estimates are probably also very broad.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

The really sad thing about the Queen’s death is the lack of global coverage of the absolute beating Ukraine 🇺🇦 are giving the Russians.

This is huge, it feels only Sir Laurence Olivier should commentate on it.

The other piece of news is that, apparently, the details of the energy bills help for businesses has not yet been worked out and it could be November before details are released. Which will be too late for many.

Not. Good. Enough.
    The energy bills for consumers are not clear either. The night rate for electricity is currently about 17p per kWh- If the cap is 34p per kWh and companies lift it to 34p - then consumers with economy 7 and similar plans will be facing a massive increase. On the other hand if they keep the night rate low at say 20p, then the increase in the day rate from the current 32.5p to 34p would suggest that we should all move to a cheaper night rate.
    Are the two of you suggesting Truss doesn't know what she's doing?

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Who could possibly have expected that from her previous career of calamity and ineptitude?
    But we were confidently told it would all the fine.

She had a brilliant plan, but she couldn't talk about it because she wasn't Prime Minister yet, and it would be presumptious for a mere candidate to explain what they would do with the job.

And all the doubters, the Johnson fans et cetera, would look like propper ninnies when Liz Made It All Better.
    But Starmer was skewered over the windfall tax and that's all that matters. FACT.
    In fact I have doubts that Truss has skewered Labour with her NI and other progressive tax cuts. If next year is recession, inflation and energy bill pain for some of the most hard up poor and working people in our country, Truss cuts of progressive tax will at same time make the richer households benefit substantially, like plans to reverse national insurance tax increase. Rather than skewer Labour, richer households getting lots more than poorer ones at time of hardship will play right into some killer messaging from all the opposition party’s won’t it?

With high inflation, big tax cuts funded by increased borrowing for people who do not need them and are most likely to use them to increase their savings is bad politics, fiscally stupid and pretty poor economically.

Truss's challenge now is that the energy freeze has been announced and baked in. No-one is going to notice it as it will just stop bills getting much higher. It will not lower them. As time goes by, its political potency diminishes rapidly - it just becomes part of the furniture.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

That DCMS queuing Youtube movie has the most horrendous visual design complete with flashing light. queasymaking barber pole effect and a weird fade and rotate for the royal crown/cipher. You'd think they were trying to put folk off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NpZuGxSgZY

"The queue is currently approx 2.5 miles long". A nice mix of 2.5 for the metric martyrs and miles for the imperial pedants, but why the abbreviation "approx" rather than the whole word "about"? (The landmark and w3w change frequently.)
    Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

I'd probably wait a couple of hours to see Her Majesty. But 24 or 30 hours? I'm afraid that it is too much for me.
    Just out of curiosity - as they are issuing numbered wristbands, is there any reason why there should be a queue at all?
    Could be so they know when to cut it off, as per Scotland, so the news said. They have a flow rate and a number that that throws up and presumably give wristbands to that number. And then afterwards those with a wristband can head on to the Ministry of Sound for Happy Hour.
    Don't understand that. You mean they will stop issuing wristbands towards the end, based on the length of the queue and how fast the queue is moving. If they just controlled admission on the basis of wristband number, they could just as well stop issuing numbers on a similar basis towards the end.
    Better to tell 10,000 people they can't go in 2.5 miles away from the event rather than 10 yards...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,379
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigel Farage has criticised the government for telling people not to travel to London for the funeral.

He also backed Putin.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/21/ukip-nigel-farage-prince-charles-hitler_n_5363536.html
    Well, many have attacked Charles in the past. But on this front he's in rare company on the reason why.

What gets me most about his defence of Putin is not the bog standard far right/left trope that Putin was provoked (even if he was, and he wasn't, that'd still make it his fault), but that invasions are ok if you don't start out planning them, but decide it later.

Prince Charles has made those comments. I know some people feel that way about Putin. I think there’s a difference and the difference, I think, is that right from the very start Hitler was expansionist and we haven’t seen much evidence of that until now from Putin and arguably what’s happened in the Ukraine is because he’s been poked with a stick by the rest of the world
    So accidental world wars and genocides are OK? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I am sure this paints me as a dreadful snob, but if I were to go to pay my respects I would take some effort with my appearance. I don't think I would wear a football shirt. I think I am probably a bad person for thinking that.
  • Options

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Bloody hell. BLOODY HELL.

Just got stuck behind King's Tp, RHA as they trit-trotted back to their boxes (sadly no longer at St. John's Wood), with their gun carriages and every bit of kit gleaming in the sun on the Marylebone Road and....

....I really wanted to go to the funeral. It will be absolutely stunning. I just saw the tiniest part of the ceremonials and they had done their bit and were on their way home. It is obvious that Monday will be immense.

Fuck knows what it means or whether it is therefore good or bad to be a Brit but it will be extraordinary.

It will. We are giving her a proper send off. As befits

I can’t work out where to stand to watch
    It's a dead person in a box though. All funerals baffle me.
    I'm not going to have one.
    The funeral is not for you though; it's to allow your nearest and dearest to mourn.

One of my cousins didn't want to have a big funeral, and we were discouraged from going. I've always felt sad about it.
    Yes that's a good point. It'd be selfish of me to insist on not having one if those close to me wanted it. I'll take soundings nearer the time.
    Do a wake. Leave a vast sum of money behind the bar.
    You sound like you're expecting an invite. Rather presumptuous.
    Well you're all invited to mine.
    The mystery guest is always a fun subplot of a funeral.
    I believe the thing to do is to arrange for a very attractive young woman to come dressed in black, stand at the graveside a little way away from the rest of the mourners, dab her eyes every so often, and hurry away afterwards. Causes an enormous amount of conversation!

Only works for a man's funeral, of course!
    Naughty OKC! Why on earth only for a man's funeral.

You fail PB's woke test (than which none are sterner).
  • Options
    I haven't been watching the TV coverage but I gather that some are finding it a bit OTT. The BBC now being referred to as Mourn Hub.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

He also backed Putin.

Charles' views whatever they are must count in the same way all of ours do. One vote amongst the many.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

How many people are there in a 2.9 mile queue? If you allocate one foot of space per person, you are looking at just over 15,000. That doesn't seem too much to me. If the queue is moving at 1 mph, you are in for a three hour wait. Again, not horrific. To get to a 24 hour wait, you'd need a queue of something like 100,000 people - or a queue of over 20 miles in length. That seems implausible. But my maths is pretty crap, so I could well have got it totally wrong!

You're assuming people are one abreast. I would bet that the real number is more like 3-4.

Fair point - but if they are walking three or four abreast, that won't affect the speed of the queue, will it? That said, I guess there must be security checkpoints where they have to go one after the other.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    edited September 2022
    I'm not one for a 'burial' funeral but just before Covid I went to one I went to one where the church was on a hillside overlooking the sea. It was winter and the sun of course was low in the sky and there was a sunshine 'path' almost up to the grave. Reminded me of the old Celtic belief; that the blessed walked along that path to the land of eternal youth!
  • Options
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Labour lead at twelve points in latest results from Deltapoll.
    Con 32% (+1)
    Lab 44% (+2)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Other 15% (-2)
    Fieldwork: 9-12 September 2022
    Sample: 2,096 GB adults
    (Changes from 31 August - 2 September 2022)

Bye Liz
  • Options
    Electoral Calculus (Proposed 2023 Boundaries):
    Labour - 351 (+148)
    Tories - 215 (-150)
    Lib Dems - 11
    Greens - 1
    SNP - 51 (+3)
    Plaid - 3 (-1)
    NI - 18

2005 repeat
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,379

I haven't been watching the TV coverage but I gather that some are finding it a bit OTT. The BBC now being referred to as Mourn Hub.

It is hard to tell which is more OTT - the coverage or the complaints about it.

You can watch a zillion other channels. Plenty of news channels (CNN etc).

Nearly nothing in London or the country at large is effected, at the moment. Unless you really, really need to visit Westminster Hall.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Electoral Calculus (Proposed 2023 Boundaries):
    Labour - 351 (+148)
    Tories - 215 (-150)
    Lib Dems - 11
    Greens - 1
    SNP - 51 (+3)
    Plaid - 3 (-1)
    NI - 18

2005 repeat

351 is bigger than 326. It really is.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Fair point - but if they are walking three or four abreast, that won't affect the speed of the queue, will it? That said, I guess there must be security checkpoints where they have to go one after the other.

I also think 1mph is way too fast. The queue will effective go single file past the coffin (cutting the speed by 75% at the choke point), and most people will want to stop for a second.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

It's the commentators on the file past I feel sorry for.
    A bit like commentating on chess, but without the occasional move to spice things up.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Just got stuck behind King's Tp, RHA as they trit-trotted back to their boxes (sadly no longer at St. John's Wood), with their gun carriages and every bit of kit gleaming in the sun on the Marylebone Road and....

....I really wanted to go to the funeral. It will be absolutely stunning. I just saw the tiniest part of the ceremonials and they had done their bit and were on their way home. It is obvious that Monday will be immense.

Fuck knows what it means or whether it is therefore good or bad to be a Brit but it will be extraordinary.

The funeral is not for you though; it's to allow your nearest and dearest to mourn.

One of my cousins didn't want to have a big funeral, and we were discouraged from going. I've always felt sad about it.
    Yes that's a good point. It'd be selfish of me to insist on not having one if those close to me wanted it. I'll take soundings nearer the time.
    I believe the thing to do is to arrange for a very attractive young woman to come dressed in black, stand at the graveside a little way away from the rest of the mourners, dab her eyes every so often, and hurry away afterwards. Causes an enormous amount of conversation!

The clue is in the "old "!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A bit like commentating on chess, but without the occasional move to spice things up.
    Why does it need commentary? Show it in a window whilst talking about other royal stuff.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Leon said:

An overlong but interesting essay on De Santis’ chance of the presidency

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1569674780902653952?s=46&t=L5dxjID7xvbr04jWtHwWCg

My take away: if Trump doesn’t stand De Santis will walk the candidacy and likely win the presidency. Even if Trump does stand he has a good chance

He’s an outstanding candidate. I had no idea his resume is so impressive he was once known as “the resume” - lower middle class Catholic, then Harvard, Yale and a quasi Navy SEAL who went to
    Iraq. It’s absurd. Attractive wife is a breast cancer survivor

He’s also apparently incorruptible. Astonishing stat buried in the piece: his net worth was recently estimated at $319,000

If he runs he wins

If Kari Lake wins the governorship of Arizona in November (a VERY big if), then she would be a big threat to DeSantis. If she ran against him.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    edited September 2022
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

That DCMS queuing Youtube movie has the most horrendous visual design complete with flashing light. queasymaking barber pole effect and a weird fade and rotate for the royal crown/cipher. You'd think they were trying to put folk off.

"The queue is currently approx 2.5 miles long". A nice mix of 2.5 for the metric martyrs and miles for the imperial pedants, but why the abbreviation "approx" rather than the whole word "about"? (The landmark and w3w change frequently.)
    Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

I'd probably wait a couple of hours to see Her Majesty. But 24 or 30 hours? I'm afraid that it is too much for me.
    Just out of curiosity - as they are issuing numbered wristbands, is there any reason why there should be a queue at all?
    Could be so they know when to cut it off, as per Scotland, so the news said. They have a flow rate and a number that that throws up and presumably give wristbands to that number. And then afterwards those with a wristband can head on to the Ministry of Sound for Happy Hour.
    Don't understand that. You mean they will stop issuing wristbands towards the end, based on the length of the queue and how fast the queue is moving. If they just controlled admission on the basis of wristband number, they could just as well stop issuing numbers on a similar basis towards the end.
    Better to tell 10,000 people they can't go in 2.5 miles away from the event rather than 10 yards...
    I don't think you understand. But never mind.

If anyone else can see why it couldn't be done without a queue by just issuing numbers, I'd be interested to know. Think of it as issuing timed tickets, but without having to make an assumption about how fast people would go through - and using the magic of the Internet instead, by telling people online what number it had got to, and what range of numbers would be accepted in the next 10 minutes or whatever.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,591

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.
    I’m not sure lesbians are a recent invention, though. :smile:
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    MISTY said:

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1569674780902653952?s=46&t=L5dxjID7xvbr04jWtHwWCg

My take away: if Trump doesn’t stand De Santis will walk the candidacy and likely win the presidency. Even if Trump does stand he has a good chance

He’s an outstanding candidate. I had no idea his resume is so impressive he was once known as “the resume” - lower middle class Catholic, then Harvard, Yale and a quasi Navy SEAL who went to

He’s also apparently incorruptible. Astonishing stat buried in the piece: his net worth was recently estimated at $319,000

If he runs he wins

If Kari Lake wins the governorship of Arizona in November (a VERY big if), then she would be a big threat to DeSantis. If she ran against him.

Its not that big an if. Last poll was 44 43
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Leon said:

If he runs he wins

It’s also quite possible that both of them lose.
    Though DeSantis would be something of a surprise upset.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.
    There was a vulgar rhyme about them when I was in the sixth form, 60+ years ago!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

They do seek interesting fillers so that they can do the spicing up.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

Yes there is.

How are you planning on having people turn up exactly in order? You would - whatever happens - need a queue of 1,000 or so people, that are (roughly at least) in the right wristband order.

However, you could say "people with wristbands 230,000 to 240,000 don't turn up until tomorrow at 7:20am"
    Yes, of course something like that is what I'm saying. It needn't be a range of 10,000 - the range could be judged.

Why don't they do something like that instead of having people queuing for 30 hours or whatever?
  • Options
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

If anyone else can see why it couldn't be done without a queue by just issuing numbers, I'd be interested to know. Think of it as issuing timed tickets, but without having to make an assumption about how fast people would go through - and using the magic of the Internet instead, by telling people online what number it had got to, and what range of numbers would be accepted in the next 10 minutes or whatever.
    Physical queuing is probably the fairest way.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

They do seek interesting fillers so that they can do the spicing up.
    Gyles Brandreth says hello!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,163
    edited September 2022
    Why can’t they build a huge pedestrian travelator on the Westway and hang the queen from Trellick Tower in a large colourful glass box, then everyone could get on the travelator and whizz past the queen at about 20-30 miles an hour, enabling millions of people to pay their solemn respects at the blurry image of the dangling queen before they fall off the end of the travelator and have a hot dog in Shepherds Bush?

Typical British make-do-and-mend. We lack ambition
  • Options

Nearly nothing in London or the country at large is effected, at the moment. Unless you really, really need to visit Westminster Hall.
    Looking ahead, tricky when Charley boy pegs out, if one may use that expression. He is not going to justify one fifth of all this hoohah, and the commentators will struggle to find ten minutes' worth of blather about him, but every hour less than Lizzie that he gets will look like a calculated snub to the dear old Q consort. Perhaps if she is old enough they can hack her telly and give her a weeks' worth of customised Charleyballs which she thinks is BBC1.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944
    Right, everyone. I need to be serious for a moment. Because the greatest thing that ever happened is happening right now.

I don't particularly care either way about the Queen. But the queue? The Queue is a triumph of Britishness. It's incredible.

https://twitter.com/curiousiguana/status/1570067806028464128
  • Options

MISTY said:

Leon said:

If he runs he wins

And Emerson, which is a very well rated pollster, had it at 46-46 with the same survey dates.

With that said, I would still make her the underdog, because Mark Kelly (a very moderate Democrat) is polling 7-8 points ahead of Masters.

Now, Masters is a dreadful candidate, and Lake an interesting one (quite mad, but interesting nonetheless), but I'd be surprised to see that much ticket-splitting. If Kelly wins by 7-8 points, then I'd expect Hobbs to beat out Lake by 2-4.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,726

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.
    There was a vulgar rhyme about them when I was in the sixth form, 60+ years ago!
    Mind, the Ladies of Llangollen were before your time.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Leon said:

Why can’t they build a huge pedestrian travelator on the Westway and hang the queen from Trellick Tower in a large colourful glass box, then everyone could get on the travelator and whizz past the queen at about 20-30 miles an hour, enabling millions of people to pay their solemn respects at the blurry image of the dangling queen before they fall off the end of the travelator and have a hot dog in Shepherds Bush?

What they should have done is put the Queen’s coffin on some sort of gun carriage and have it process along the streets around Buckingham Palace and Whitehall so that people could line the streets and bow or take a moment as it passed and pay their respects.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

Not to my taste at all. But I'm surprised you didn't think of Crossrail in that respect (no pun intended).
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

A few weeks ago I went to a Quaker funeral. Never been to one before; there wasn't a ceremony as such but the deceased's husband gave an account of her life and how he'd miss her. Then after a few minutes contemplation, various members of the congregation got up and said something nice about her, from their own particular perspective. What a nice person she'd been, how she'd helped them; things like that.
    Then the family went out to the graveyard and we waited for a bit then went into the next room for coffee and cake. And that was that.

Wot no porridge
  • Options

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.
    Now I’m intrigued.
    Can’t you share (asterisked if necessary) for all the social historians out there ?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Looking ahead, tricky when Charley boy pegs out, if one may use that expression. He is not going to justify one fifth of all this hoohah, and the commentators will struggle to find ten minutes' worth of blather about him, but every hour less than Lizzie that he gets will look like a calculated snub to the dear old Q consort. Perhaps if she is old enough they can hack her telly and give her a weeks' worth of customised Charleyballs which she thinks is BBC1.

They’ll probably hire you as commentator. I’m sure you could work up a bizarre 3 hour foul-mouthed tirade about “that fuckpig” and “leakypengate” and how much you don’t care about it. That would fill the time nicely

• Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

What they should have done is put the Queen’s coffin on some sort of gun carriage and have it process along the streets around Buckingham Palace and Whitehall so that people could line the streets and bow or take a moment as it passed and pay their respects.
    They missed a trick by flying her back from Scotland. If she had been driven, the whole route would have been lined with people.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

I'm just thinking that if we were talking about any other activity for which the opportunities needed to be shared out - particularly activities in which the elderly, for example, might be particularly interested in taking part - then making them queue for up to 30 hours overnight and possibly in the pouring rain might not initially strike people as being the fairest.

But I realise I am untypical here.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

Leon said:

If he runs he wins

And Emerson, which is a very well rated pollster, had it at 46-46 with the same survey dates.

With that said, I would still make her the underdog, because Mark Kelly (a very moderate Democrat) is polling 7-8 points ahead of Masters.

Now, Masters is a dreadful candidate, and Lake an interesting one (quite mad, but interesting nonetheless), but I'd be surprised to see that much ticket-splitting. If Kelly wins by 7-8 points, then I'd expect Hobbs to beat out Lake by 2-4.
    Emersons last effort had Kelly plus 2 of course. I think Masters may well take it looking at Republican turnout in the primaries, i definitely think Lake will win
  • Options
    Queueing comparator (WSC)

The lying-in-state lasted from Wednesday 27 January to 6:00 a.m. on 30 January,[31] during which Westminster Hall was kept open for 23 hours daily. An hour was reserved for cleaning. The queue was most times more than one mile long, and the waiting time was about three hours;[26] 321,360 people came to pay their respects.[10][32]
  • Options
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

I'm just thinking that if we were talking about any other activity for which the opportunities needed to be shared out - particularly activities in which the elderly, for example, might be particularly interested in taking part - then making them queue for up to 30 hours overnight and possibly in the pouring rain might not initially strike people as being the fairest.

Many of those old people might not have the internet is one example.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If he runs he wins

If Trump does not run (and nor do any Trump children), then DeSantis will walk the Republican nomination, and probably the Presidency too.

But if Trump does run, does De Santis challenge him? Because that might be unforgiveable in the eyes of the MAGA faithful.
  • Options
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

OTOH it is precisely the elderly who are most likely to queue.

Maybe it is HMG's idea of an obesity, or on reflection, pension solution.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.
    Mind, the Ladies of Llangollen were before your time.
    Bit far north for me; Gwynedd. My ancestry is Deheubarth.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    It's back to 2.6 miles. I wonder how many op-eds are ready to go if it gets to zero?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

So perhaps they could make special arrangements for people without the Internet, by giving them a timed ticket instead?

But probably I'm just crazy. Just go ahead with people queuing for 30 hours and forget I spoke.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    So around 4s per person to walk past, stop, nod their head, and move on. This is around 15 per minute, 900 per hour.

If there are two streams either side this is then around 2000 per hour.

If there are 50000 in the queue then that gives 25 hours? 15000 in the queue would be a working day of 7h30mins?
  • Options
    Foss said:

It's back to 2.6 miles. I wonder how many op-eds are ready to go if it gets to zero?

2.2 miles, actually, now.
  • Options
    This is strangely compelling viewing. People are endlessly fascinating. All sorts, shapes, sizes and faiths. I can't imagine crying, but I guess the sense of occasion and atmosphere might tip you over the edge.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

They missed a trick by flying her back from Scotland. If she had been driven, the whole route would have been lined with people.
    Even better by royal train from Edinburgh to Kings Cross but I understand the powers that be thought it was too much of a security risk
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

NEW: Westminster Voting Intention

🌹LAB: 44% (+2)
    🌳CON: 32% (+1)
    🔶LDM: 9% (-1)

via, @DeltapollUK • Fieldwork: 09-12/09

No Truss bounce there, so far. Can she conjure one from an address at the funeral ?
    I disagree. Tories trend up in all recent polls, some much more dramatically than this one, so a very clear Truss bounce.

Trend is not Lib Dem friend at the moment. Is this where HY right Truss shores up the blue wall and is making progress there already?

I predict the polling trend to continue to be bad news for Lib Dems over the coming month, and increasingly bad news too for Labour over this coming period, as it’s too early to expect Truss bounce to peak yet.

I agree with those saying the polls don’t tell a long term story right now - if Truss gets a bounce it’s ephemeral, based on change but not really knowing what you are getting. Going back to Brown, got a bounce but based on change, not really knowing what you are getting - it was the knowing what you got, producing his big slump - the real question is not will a new leader get a bounce, but will they have a slump Xx months down the line when everyone has better worked out what it is they are getting from new PM.

So let’s set a performance marker for the November December polling for where Tory % is clustering as well as Truss performance ratings for sign of a slump. That is clear distance from all the conference season vagaries too.

However, trend lines are important in polling if you are betting on future polls, and here I have something to add on Savanta Comres polling - they tend to over favour Labour in their polls, with low Green scores, a little out of sync with many other pollsters. A 42 from Savanta is actually a pretty average score for Labour, not a good one - how it should read across to other firms is a cluster of 38s and 39s for Labour, and small leads, so let’s see if that’s what we get.

Throughout conference season this will be a pain in the neck for Starmer, it won’t just be BJO constantly asking “only 5 ahead” “only 4 ahead” “only 2 ahead on both Opinium and you gov? - PLEASE EXPLAIN.”

I’m happy to explain, this period of smaller leads could well be ephemeral, let’s wait for November December polling for GE bets.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

Leon said:

If he runs he wins

Emersons last effort had Kelly plus 2 of course. I think Masters may well take it looking at Republican turnout in the primaries, i definitely think Lake will win
    Well, we don't really know what Democrat Primary enthusiasm is, because Kelly wasn't challenged and Hobbs was winning by 50 odd points. So I'm not sure comparing primary turnout tells you a lot.

My gut is that Kelly will manage to hold on to Arizona without too much trouble.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

If he runs he wins

If Trump does not run (and nor do any Trump children), then DeSantis will walk the Republican nomination, and probably the Presidency too.

But if Trump does run, does De Santis challenge him? Because that might be unforgiveable in the eyes of the MAGA faithful.
    Worth reading the article (tho it could have been usefully halved in length by an editor)

Given how “right wing” De Santis is supposed to be, it is relatively favourable (I guess for the NYT - and indeed the world - anyone is better than Trump)

It also makes the point that a lot of the American right - media and donors - despairs of Trump and actively wants De Santis. Because he would surely win against a doddery Biden, for a start
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.
    Now I’m intrigued.
    Can’t you share (asterisked if necessary) for all the social historians out there ?
    A Nancy boy from Khartoum
    Took a lesbian up to his room
    As they turned out the light
    He said let's get this right,
    Who does what and with which and to whom?

The damn things come back into my mind recently! Apologies to anyone who is offended!!

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Leon said:

It would probably be quicker to drive the hearse past the queue of people.

(If a little lacking in dignity.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

Leon said:

If he runs he wins

Well, we don't really know what Democrat Primary enthusiasm is, because Kelly wasn't challenged and Hobbs was winning by 50 odd points. So I'm not sure comparing primary turnout tells you a lot.

My gut is that Kelly will manage to hold on to Arizona without too much trouble.
    Time will tell, im not super confident, but ive just got a suspicion/gut feeling AZ and NV will be good for repubs this November
    Im not keyed in enough for $ risk though
  • Options
    NYT - Who Won and Lost in New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Delaware [Final Primaries of 2022]

. . . Here is a rundown of some of the most important wins and losses.

New Hampshire
    Don Bolduc, a retired Army general who ran on a hard-right platform and embraced former President Donald J. Trump’s lies about the 2020 election, appeared set to win the Republican primary to challenge Senator Maggie Hassan, a Democrat who is seeking a second term in the Senate. As of Wednesday morning, the race had not been called, but his opponent, Chuck Morse, the president of the State Senate, had said he had called Mr. Bolduc and “wished all the best.”

Karoline Leavitt, a former press aide in Donald J. Trump’s White House, defeated Matt Mowers, a former State Department adviser, in a Republican primary that pitted two Trump administration alumni against each other. Ms. Leavitt — who recently turned 25, the minimum age to serve in the House — will face Representative Chris Pappas, a Democrat, in the First Congressional District. She could be one of the first two members of Generation Z to serve in Congress, alongside Maxwell Alejandro Frost, who won a Democratic House primary in Florida last month.

Gov. Chris Sununu, a Republican seeking a fourth two-year term, easily won his primary, in which he had only nominal competition. He will face Tom Sherman, a state senator who ran unopposed in the Democratic primary.

Rhode Island
    Gov. Dan McKee won a tight Democratic primary as he seeks his first full term after rising from the lieutenant governorship to replace former Gov. Gina Raimondo, who left to serve in the Biden administration. He defeated Helena Buonanno Foulkes, a businesswoman; Nellie Gorbea, the Rhode Island secretary of state; and two others. Mr. McKee will face Ashley Kalus, a businesswoman who won the Republican primary, in November.

Lt. Gov. Sabina Matos, who is seeking her first full term after being appointed by Mr. McKee, won the Democratic primary for lieutenant governor. Her Republican opponent will be Aaron Guckian, a former development officer at the Rhode Island Foundation.

Gregg Amore, a state representative, won the Democratic nomination for secretary of state and will face Pat Cortellessa, a security company supervisor who volunteered for the Trump campaign in 2016.

Seth Magaziner, the state’s general treasurer, is the Democratic nominee to replace Representative Jim Langevin, a Democrat who is retiring. He topped a six-candidate field and will face former Mayor Allan Fung of Cranston in November.

Delaware
    Lydia York, a lawyer and former corporate accountant, won the Democratic primary for auditor of accounts, the office responsible for supervising Delaware’s use of taxpayer money. She defeated the incumbent, Kathleen K. McGuiness, who had been convicted of misdemeanors in a misconduct case related to hiring her daughter.
  • Options

The only change from Sunday is that the Moderates took 1 late seat, at the expense of the Social Democrats. Probably the overseas voters.

The Social Democrats would have won if it had not been for the new Islamic party taking 1.5% of the vote.

I would have thought most of that 1.5% were transfers from non-voters or non-citizens, so it probably hasn't changed the result.
    Certainly not “non-citizens”! Only Swedish citizen are allowed to vote 😄
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

FINAL RESULT: SWEDISH GENERAL ELECTION 2022

CONSERVATIVE WIN

BY THREE SEATS

Seat distribution

Likely minority conservative coalition government:

Moderates 68 seats
    Christian Democrats 19

Likely confidence & supply parties:

Sweden Democrats 73
    Liberals 16

Total team Kristersson: 176 seats

Likely opposition parties:

Social Democrats (outgoing minority government) 107

Centre Party 24
    Left Party 24
    Greens 18

Total team Andersson: 173 seats

(Note: a Grand Coalition of Moderates + Social Democrats would also have a one seat majority: 175 seats.)

Interesting. Bucks the trend of recent elections which has tended to see most countries swinging leftwards after Covid.

Sweden didn't lock down as much and has had a swing to the right?
  • Options
    The detail about De Santis only being worth $320,000 appears to be true. He’s still paying off his student debts

https://www.850wftl.com/gov-desantis-is-not-in-it-for-the-money-net-worth-300k-still-paying-off-student-loans/

Astounding. If he won POTUS he would surely be the poorest president…. Ever? Maybe the poorest leader in the entire world

How refreshing. A 43 year old candidate with no
    money. Not another trillionaire 78 year old

Who was the poorest ever British PM? I bet even Major was worth more than £250k just by owning a property
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The really sad thing about the Queen’s death is the lack of global coverage of the absolute beating Ukraine 🇺🇦 are giving the Russians.

The other piece of news is that, apparently, the details of the energy bills help for businesses has not yet been worked out and it could be November before details are released. Which will be too late for many.

Not. Good. Enough.
    Liz Truss, just not good enough.

Our office closedown starts next month.
    @IshmaelZ do you still think I was wrong to post last week, Truss government are not yet ready to announce their plan to parliament? I posted correct, They were not ready last week, Arguably they didn’t share their plan last week. They just gave promises. Without the detail that turns promises into reality, without being able to cost it, publish cost with an exit plan, payment mechanisms, start finish dates, show risk management and due diligence etc, is it even a plan or just Johnsonian BS?

Number 10 doubles down on this lateness today with spin that the business element is from 1st October - kinda misleads businesses won’t get money in October 2022 just back dated to then. Did number ten say this October or just an October? Anyone like to respond with “but this Tory government and Treasury have only had just over a week to come up with a plan” 🤦‍♀️
    Can't rememeber, it seems a lifetime ago. But for consumers, now the actual kWh cap is known, that's pretty much it, is it not? I agree it's pathetic to have no details for small biz. You would hope that the current pause on everything would give the govt time for some really constructive work.

They should cancel the conference. She is shit at that sort of thing anyway and it will wrong foot SKS, whereas contrariwise it will wrongfoot her if he does it first.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The detail about De Santis only being worth $320,000 appears to be true. He’s still paying off his student debts

https://www.850wftl.com/gov-desantis-is-not-in-it-for-the-money-net-worth-300k-still-paying-off-student-loans/

Astounding. If he won POTUS he would surely be the poorest president…. Ever? Maybe the poorest leader in the entire world

Who was the poorest ever British PM? I bet even Major was worth more than £250k just by owning a property

Churchill.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

If he runs he wins

De Santis is beloved of the billionaire donor class with huge fund raising numbers but gets nothing in terms of small donations.

Whilst he would be my favourite for GOP nom without Trump I definetely don't think he is a lock in that situation.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Churchill.
    Lol no. He was an aristo
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Churchill.
    Ramsey McDonald
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

LOL.
    I was invented by God at the dawn of time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ramsay Macdonald, perhaps, at least in recent centuries.

Re Mr De Santis, I can't help thinking that a lot of voters might subscribe to the loser theorem - never vote for someone who is so obviously crap at the Great American Dream. Indeed, it is so odd that one almost wonders if there is more to the story than that, such as what assets he enjoys the use of, without owning them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Churchill.
    Lol no. He was an aristo
    But almost certainly was net in debt.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

FINAL RESULT: SWEDISH GENERAL ELECTION 2022

CONSERVATIVE WIN

BY THREE SEATS

Seat distribution

Likely minority conservative coalition government:

Moderates 68 seats
    Christian Democrats 19

Likely confidence & supply parties:

Sweden Democrats 73
    Liberals 16

Total team Kristersson: 176 seats

Likely opposition parties:

Social Democrats (outgoing minority government) 107

Centre Party 24
    Left Party 24
    Greens 18

Total team Andersson: 173 seats

(Note: a Grand Coalition of Moderates + Social Democrats would also have a one seat majority: 175 seats.)

Interesting. Bucks the trend of recent elections which has tended to see most countries swinging leftwards after Covid.

Sweden didn't lock down as much and has had a swing to the right?
    Covid was a total non-issue, so quasi lockdown versus hard lockdown irrelevant. The actions of the government and public bodies were broadly supported throughout society, and even at the time there were few politicians who tried to make political points.

To be honest, with law&order and immigration&integration being top issues, the right really ought to have won easily. Magdalena Andersson has done very well to keep the loss to 3 seats.

• Options
    Fuck it. I’m moving here. Seville feels like a city that recently won the lottery

• Options
    Leon said:

Tricky one. Although difficult to calculate, I'm sure Lincoln was quite poor upon getting to the White House. LBJ was famously brought up on a dirt farm but by the time he was President he'd made a fortune in dodgy deals. I also believe that Hillary Clinton claimed that they were pretty much broke by the time Bill Clinton made it to the White House. I guess it could depend on the specifics.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Leon said:

Have to go some to beat this guy though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Mujica#:~:text=José Alberto "Pepe" Mujica Cordano,Uruguay from 2010 to 2015.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson surely the poorest leader in the whole world
  • Options
    Swedish inflation: 9%

Higher than expected.
  • Options

Certainly in spiritual terms.
  • Options

Certainly in spiritual terms.
    Hitler, Attilla the Hun, Gordon Brown....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fuck it. I’m moving here. Seville feels like a city that recently won the lottery

Unlike the UK, Spain spent its EU funds on decent infrastructure.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

Not. Good. Enough.
    The energy bills for consumers are not clear either. The night rate for electricity is currently about 17p per kWh- If the cap is 34p per kWh and companies lift it to 34p - then consumers with economy 7 and similar plans will be facing a massive increase. On the other hand if they keep the night rate low at say 20p, then the increase in the day rate from the current 32.5p to 34p would suggest that we should all move to a cheaper night rate.
    Are the two of you suggesting Truss doesn't know what she's doing?

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Who could possibly have expected that from her previous career of calamity and ineptitude?
    But we were confidently told it would all the fine.

She had a brilliant plan, but she couldn't talk about it because she wasn't Prime Minister yet, and it would be presumptious for a mere candidate to explain what they would do with the job.

And all the doubters, the Johnson fans et cetera, would look like propper ninnies when Liz Made It All Better.
    And the impression has been created, in the brief window that existed, that it is now all sorted.
    The problems are, the reason for the delay I can explain, the plan for business won’t use the cap mechanism the household plan will use, because business don’t have a cap mechanism to piggy back the same plan onto, so it will require legislation to allow the government to give such a lot of money to private energy suppliers to pass on. How is the money then passed on to business in need, is it a one size fits all blanket pass on like with households - shoe shop getting same as a bakery, is that a Hobsons choice?

Without knowing governments mechanism for limiting energy costs on businesses, you can’t claim Liz Truss revealed her plan to parlaiment and the country, she just went there and made promises.

In a further difference between the two bail outs, household / business, Liz Truss only promised business six months of support, that instantly created a cliff edge for businesses to plan for, or is it safe for everyone to assume Truss will u-turn on that promise and extend?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,626
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

Bit tough on those physically frail. The late HMQ wouldn't have been able to queue like that.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Leon said:

It also didn’t focus all its internal Investment in London / Barcelona / Madrid
  • Options

Look, this is the room for the five-minute argument. If you want to start a ten-minute argument, then you need to go to room 221B and ask for HYUFD.
    I might join them. It is bound to be more interesting than the undertaker's waiting room that is PB this evening...
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Why? Was HMQ a stepmom?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

Bit tough on those physically frail. The late HMQ wouldn't have been able to queue like that.
    Frsom the DT it's evident that HMG is worried about numbers of the elderly losing the numbers of their messes. Not good TV.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,626
    Leon said:

If only we were still in the EU it would be easy to do so...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,839

Scott_xP said:

Russians claimed that they had destroyed a barge with Ukrainian troops that was supposed to land at #Zaporizhzhia NPP.
    It's funny, but in the video they published, isn't a barge, but a pillar of a bridge that Nazis tried to build in 1943 during the German occupation of #Ukraine https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1570083294506516481/video/1

This is what the pillar looked like. https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1570083303495008256/photo/1

That just shows how seriously they are taking denazification.
    The Latvians blew up the large Soviet memorial in Riga, to commemorate their "liberation", last week.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Have to go some to beat this guy though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Mujica#:~:text=José Alberto "Pepe" Mujica Cordano,Uruguay from 2010 to 2015.
    I don't think those twins who ran Poland for a while were particularly well off, either.
  • Options
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

So perhaps they could make special arrangements for people without the Internet, by giving them a timed ticket instead?

But probably I'm just crazy. Just go ahead with people queuing for 30 hours and forget I spoke.
    The devil is in the detail. As of course Plato found out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

If he runs he wins

IF you like Trump AND have half a brain, then you're bound to love DeSantis.

RDS is smarter than DJT, certainly less self-destructive (in ways that caused 45 to snatch defeat from jaws of 2nd-term victory) and way savvier in how to harness the powers of executive office for his own political benefit. But he's just as nasty AND dangerous.
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

It also didn’t focus all its internal Investment in London / Barcelona / Madrid
    Well, London as a region received no EU funds.

Britain being Britain tends to put money into banal and transient “programmes” rather than splendid and long-lasting place-making.
  • Options

Certainly not “non-citizens”! Only Swedish citizen are allowed to vote 😄
    Since the last election, about 300k foreigners have acquired Swedish citizenship.
This discussion has been closed.