Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so the Queen’s coffin arrives in Westminster – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

MISTY said:

The really sad thing about the Queen’s death is the lack of global coverage of the absolute beating Ukraine 🇺🇦 are giving the Russians.

This is huge, it feels only Sir Laurence Olivier should commentate on it.

The World at War is surely the best piece of English narration ever.
    No, this from Brian Blessed is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP11L9jRW94
    Much better Brian Blessed

https://youtu.be/mKHihAPr2Rc?t=50

Only The Blessed could make full black plate look like formal court dress.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Bloody hell. BLOODY HELL.

Just got stuck behind King's Tp, RHA as they trit-trotted back to their boxes (sadly no longer at St. John's Wood), with their gun carriages and every bit of kit gleaming in the sun on the Marylebone Road and....

....I really wanted to go to the funeral. It will be absolutely stunning. I just saw the tiniest part of the ceremonials and they had done their bit and were on their way home. It is obvious that Monday will be immense.

Fuck knows what it means or whether it is therefore good or bad to be a Brit but it will be extraordinary.

It will. We are giving her a proper send off. As befits

I can’t work out where to stand to watch
    You'll need your binoculars from Seville.
    Posting on behalf of one of his Alter Egos!
    Ah, that would be explain everything.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    My car insurers are closed out of respeck on Monday but my chimney sweep is sweeping my chimneys.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

The really sad thing about the Queen’s death is the lack of global coverage of the absolute beating Ukraine 🇺🇦 are giving the Russians.

I think its predecessor The Great War is even better. One of the greatest documentary series ever made.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Just got stuck behind King's Tp, RHA as they trit-trotted back to their boxes (sadly no longer at St. John's Wood), with their gun carriages and every bit of kit gleaming in the sun on the Marylebone Road and....

....I really wanted to go to the funeral. It will be absolutely stunning. I just saw the tiniest part of the ceremonials and they had done their bit and were on their way home. It is obvious that Monday will be immense.

Fuck knows what it means or whether it is therefore good or bad to be a Brit but it will be extraordinary.

It's a dead person in a box though. All funerals baffle me.
    Kidding, right? This is the Queen of England. It is if absolutely nothing else it is a momentous historical pageant and spectacle. Whatever you think about Monarchy you will see this country doing something it has done for hundreds of years, has not done for 70-odd years and will not do again for a decade or two.

Does it represent all that is good or bad with the country? Fuck knows but it is an "I was there" moment.
    Definitely not kidding. I can't see the point. I think Elizabeth was amazing, but I can't see anything that follows through to the next day, or the day after that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

The other piece of news is that, apparently, the details of the energy bills help for businesses has not yet been worked out and it could be November before details are released. Which will be too late for many.

Not. Good. Enough.
    The energy bills for consumers are not clear either. The night rate for electricity is currently about 17p per kWh- If the cap is 34p per kWh and companies lift it to 34p - then consumers with economy 7 and similar plans will be facing a massive increase. On the other hand if they keep the night rate low at say 20p, then the increase in the day rate from the current 32.5p to 34p would suggest that we should all move to a cheaper night rate.
    Are the two of you suggesting Truss doesn't know what she's doing?

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Who could possibly have expected that from her previous career of calamity and ineptitude?
    But we were confidently told it would all the fine.

She had a brilliant plan, but she couldn't talk about it because she wasn't Prime Minister yet, and it would be presumptious for a mere candidate to explain what they would do with the job.

And all the doubters, the Johnson fans et cetera, would look like propper ninnies when Liz Made It All Better.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Kidding, right? This is the Queen of England. It is if absolutely nothing else it is a momentous historical pageant and spectacle. Whatever you think about Monarchy you will see this country doing something it has done for hundreds of years, has not done for 70-odd years and will not do again for a decade or two.

Does it represent all that is good or bad with the country? Fuck knows but it is an "I was there" moment.
    This country continues to defy those that insist it is no longer astonishing
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Nigel Farage has criticised the government for telling people not to travel to London for the funeral.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,901
    I'm really enjoying people losing their shit over the BBC coverage. It's the state broadcaster and we live in a constitutional monarchy - what do you expect?

It's also mad how people seem to think it's compulsory. It's just one day off, and no one cares if you go to the beach instead.
  • Options

Was thinking about Zelensky's speech. Remembered this -

‘May the great God, whom I worship, grant to my country and for the benefit of Europe in general, a great and glorious victory, and may no misconduct in anyone tarnish it; and may humanity after victory be the predominant feature in the British fleet. For myself individually, I commit my life to him that made me; and may His blessing alight on my endeavours for serving my country faithfully. To him I resign myself, and the just cause which is entrusted to me to defend. Amen.’

Not a sky fairy believer myself, but the sentiments in that have aged very well, I think.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

ydoethur said:

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

The other piece of news is that, apparently, the details of the energy bills help for businesses has not yet been worked out and it could be November before details are released. Which will be too late for many.

Not. Good. Enough.
    The energy bills for consumers are not clear either. The night rate for electricity is currently about 17p per kWh- If the cap is 34p per kWh and companies lift it to 34p - then consumers with economy 7 and similar plans will be facing a massive increase. On the other hand if they keep the night rate low at say 20p, then the increase in the day rate from the current 32.5p to 34p would suggest that we should all move to a cheaper night rate.

Who could possibly have expected that from her previous career of calamity and ineptitude?

She had a brilliant plan, but she couldn't talk about it because she wasn't Prime Minister yet, and it would be presumptious for a mere candidate to explain what they would do with the job.

And all the doubters, the Johnson fans et cetera, would look like propper ninnies when Liz Made It All Better.
    And the impression has been created, in the brief window that existed, that it is now all sorted.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

Not. Good. Enough.

But Starmer was skewered over the windfall tax and that's all that matters. FACT.
  • Options
    In 1952 after the death of George VI, there were numerous complaints about the disruption to the BBC's schedules because of royal coverage. 59% disapproved of the altered programming, and just 29% approved. Plus ca change......

https://twitter.com/CliveMyrieBBC/status/1570058882525069313
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Definitely not kidding. I can't see the point. I think Elizabeth was amazing, but I can't see anything that follows through to the next day, or the day after that.
    I can see the point, but it is going over the top at the moment. Surely we ought to quieten down this evening until the actual funeral?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Nigel Farage has criticised the government for telling people not to travel to London for the funeral.

Poor old Nigel. A few years ago he was saying he was late for an appointment in Wales or the West Country because there were too many immigrants clogging up the M4.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited September 2022
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Thing is, a huge element of (in particular) England is structured around the monarch. The military ("HMF"), parliament, legal, I'm sure others also, all swear allegiance or act in its name. They (the monarch) are at the very centre of society. Royal this, royal that Queen's Counsel, King's Counsel, Queen's Guard, the aristocratic system in the UK and royal patronage, the monarch's cipher on post boxes, you name it.

With the greatest respect to @kinabalu no one save for his family and vast number of friends will give a flying fuck when he dies and the structure of our society will not change an iota.

Purely from a socio-historical perspective it is a fucking big deal.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Andy_JS said:

He also backed Putin.
    He is a voice of no consequence now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

I can see the point, but it is going over the top at the moment. Surely we ought to quieten down this evening until the actual funeral?
    A week's mourning is deliberately over the top. It ensures peopel remember it. Give it 2 weeks and and no one will give a crap that they were annoyed for a few days.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not going to have one.
    The funeral is not for you though; it's to allow your nearest and dearest to mourn.

One of my cousins didn't want to have a big funeral, and we were discouraged from going. I've always felt sad about it.
    Yes that's a good point. It'd be selfish of me to insist on not having one if those close to me wanted it. I'll take soundings nearer the time.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    IshmaelZ said:

My car insurers are closed out of respeck on Monday but my chimney sweep is sweeping my chimneys.

Jacob Rees-Mogg nods approvingly.
  • Options

MISTY said:

I think its predecessor The Great War is even better. One of the greatest documentary series ever made.
    Don't forget Ken Burns. I suppose war provides hugely rich material for documentary filmmakers.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

ohnotnow said:

The BBC are going to 'live stream' the Queen lying in state : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62900500

That's fair enough. They live-streamed Boris Johnson lying in state plenty of times.
    There should be some way to 'like' that 50 times.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Don't worry we'll have a whip 'round.
    Oi I might outlast you!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Cyclefree said:

Not. Good. Enough.
    Liz Truss, just not good enough.

Our office closedown starts next month.
    @IshmaelZ do you still think I was wrong to post last week, Truss government are not yet ready to announce their plan to parliament? I posted correct, They were not ready last week, Arguably they didn’t share their plan last week. They just gave promises. Without the detail that turns promises into reality, without being able to cost it, publish cost with an exit plan, payment mechanisms, start finish dates, show risk management and due diligence etc, is it even a plan or just Johnsonian BS?

Number 10 doubles down on this lateness today with spin that the business element is from 1st October - kinda misleads businesses won’t get money in October 2022 just back dated to then. Did number ten say this October or just an October? Anyone like to respond with “but this Tory government and Treasury have only had just over a week to come up with a plan” 🤦‍♀️
  • Options
    @Leon what3words being used for the queue. In this circumstance, a good idea (though it was showing somewhere in California earlier)

It's already past Tower Bridge!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Nor will I. I do rather like tombstones though.
    Yes, put me in a graveyard and I'm happy as larry. The time flies.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

The funeral is not for you though; it's to allow your nearest and dearest to mourn.

One of my cousins didn't want to have a big funeral, and we were discouraged from going. I've always felt sad about it.
    Yes that's a good point. It'd be selfish of me to insist on not having one if those close to me wanted it. I'll take soundings nearer the time.
    Burial at sea?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

Not. Good. Enough.

But Starmer was skewered over the windfall tax and that's all that matters. FACT.
    That sounds like game, set and match to me.

Do we really need a plan after such a comprehensive victory?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,281
    MISTY said:

Probably. Richard Burton in War of the Worlds was pretty good.
  • Options
    I know Ortega is a dictator and all, but I presume from those not included in the 'no heads of state invite' list that other dictators are invited, so why not him specifically?

Representatives from Syria, Venezuela and Afghanistan have not been invited, UK Government sources have told the BBC's James Landale.

This is because the UK does not have full diplomatic relations with these countries.

And North Korea (DPRK) and Nicaragua have been invited to send only ambassadors, not heads of state.

No-one from Russia, Belarus and Myanmar has been invited either.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62890879
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

Not. Good. Enough.

Is it a wooden skewer? If so, can we have it back to burn for warmth?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Do a wake. Leave a vast some of money behind the bar.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

He also backed Putin.
    The grift is completely taking over now, I think.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

I’m gonna have a wild guess and say you’re an atheist as well
    Tick
    Well I'm an atheist. I find a lot of funerals a bit odd, especially the bit where it becomes apparent that the deceased firmly believes he's heading on somewhere else - or at least we are being invited to believe that he believed that. But I absolutely see the point of them. You don't have to agree with the deceased on matters of religion to mourn him, nor to find his final departure, together with those who knew him, moving.
    Funerals are ace. Sadness and catharsis and, afterwards (in almost all circumstances) happy rememberance.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigel who?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Thing is, a huge element of (in particular) England is structured around the monarch. The military ("HMF"), parliament, legal, I'm sure others also, all swear allegiance or act in its name. They (the monarch) are at the very centre of society. Royal this, royal that Queen's Counsel, King's Counsel, Queen's Guard, the aristocratic system in the UK and royal patronage, the monarch's cipher on post boxes, you name it.

With the greatest respect to @kinabalu no one save for his family and vast number of friends will give a flying fuck when he dies and the structure of our society will not change an iota.

Big deal, yes. Your perception of what the big deal is, maybe less certain.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Burial at sea?
    Bonfire in the garden?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MISTY said:

Still gives me chills.

"It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation. Of the massacre of mankind".
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Suggestions on best places to watch are welcome 👍🏻
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I know Ortega is a dictator and all, but I presume from those not included in the 'no heads of state invite' list that other dictators are invited, so why not him specifically?

Representatives from Syria, Venezuela and Afghanistan have not been invited, UK Government sources have told the BBC's James Landale.

This is because the UK does not have full diplomatic relations with these countries.

And North Korea (DPRK) and Nicaragua have been invited to send only ambassadors, not heads of state.

I imagine it's linked to Britain's protests over last years 'elections.' He was apparently quite miffed by them.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

True. If it does happen it'll be a godawful small affair.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Burial at sea?
    Bonfire in the garden?
    Oh c'mon PB, I've come up with a good pun and no one has noticed.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Burial at sea?
    Bonfire in the garden?
    Neolithic longbarrow.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Burial at sea?
    Bonfire in the garden?
    It really did sink without a trace.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

The BBC are going to 'live stream' the Queen lying in state : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62900500

That's fair enough. They live-streamed Boris Johnson lying in state plenty of times.
    That's completely unfair. They weren't all lies. There was...erm and, oh yes, ah no. I am sure some of it was true.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Burial at sea?
    Bonfire in the garden?
    You had to lead us on to it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Do a wake. Leave a vast sum of money behind the bar.
    You sound like you're expecting an invite. Rather presumptuous.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Burial at sea?
    Bonfire in the garden?
    You had to lead us on to it.
    unfathomable, clearly.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Burial at sea?
    Bonfire in the garden?
    It really did sink without a trace.
    Then it wouldn't be much use as a sounding, although it did quietus.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Burial at sea?
    Ashes in the lake at Regents Park maybe. Many a happy hour etc ...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,155
    An overlong but interesting essay on De Santis’ chance of the presidency

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1569674780902653952?s=46&t=L5dxjID7xvbr04jWtHwWCg

My take away: if Trump doesn’t stand De Santis will walk the candidacy and likely win the presidency. Even if Trump does stand he has a good chance

He’s an outstanding candidate. I had no idea his resume is so impressive he was once known as “the resume” - lower middle class Catholic, then Harvard, Yale and a quasi Navy SEAL who went to
    Iraq. It’s absurd. Attractive wife is a breast cancer survivor

He’s also apparently incorruptible. Astonishing stat buried in the piece: his net worth was recently estimated at $319,000

If he runs he wins

• Options
    I'm assuming there'll be a fly-past for the funeral ? Churchill's was the last state funeral, and he had a fly-past..
  • Options
    I see the police have so much free time on their hands.

The new Metropolitan Police commissioner has proposed that every officer reswears their allegiance to the King, The Times has learnt.

Sir Mark Rowley told rank and file officers on Tuesday that he had found it “very powerful” when he was sworn back into office as he took the helm at Britain’s biggest police force.

He is conducting an internal survey to determine whether there is support for over 30,000 officers reswearing their oath following the Queen’s death.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/new-metropolitan-police-chief-could-make-every-officer-reswear-oath-to-the-king-d95tn5fjv
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Cookie said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

I’m gonna have a wild guess and say you’re an atheist as well
    Tick
    Well I'm an atheist. I find a lot of funerals a bit odd, especially the bit where it becomes apparent that the deceased firmly believes he's heading on somewhere else - or at least we are being invited to believe that he believed that. But I absolutely see the point of them. You don't have to agree with the deceased on matters of religion to mourn him, nor to find his final departure, together with those who knew him, moving.
    Funerals are ace. Sadness and catharsis and, afterwards (in almost all circumstances) happy rememberance.

It was one of the worst evils of lockdown we were robbed of so much of that
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Certianly for the girl with the mousey hair.

• Options

The new Metropolitan Police commissioner has proposed that every officer reswears their allegiance to the King, The Times has learnt.

Sir Mark Rowley told rank and file officers on Tuesday that he had found it “very powerful” when he was sworn back into office as he took the helm at Britain’s biggest police force.

He is conducting an internal survey to determine whether there is support for over 30,000 officers reswearing their oath following the Queen’s death.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/new-metropolitan-police-chief-could-make-every-officer-reswear-oath-to-the-king-d95tn5fjv

Utter lunacy.
  • Options
    Supposing you and your family had recieved astonishing commitment and support from the members of another family over many years. Many of the latter died. Surely you'd invite them to stop in, whenever they were in town?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Carnyx said:

That DCMS queuing Youtube movie has the most horrendous visual design complete with flashing light. queasymaking barber pole effect and a weird fade and rotate for the royal crown/cipher. You'd think they were trying to put folk off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NpZuGxSgZY

"The queue is currently approx 2.5 miles long". A nice mix of 2.5 for the metric martyrs and miles for the imperial pedants, but why the abbreviation "approx" rather than the whole word "about"? (The landmark and w3w change frequently.)
    Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

I'd probably wait a couple of hours to see Her Majesty. But 24 or 30 hours? I'm afraid that it is too much for me.
  • Options
    A few weeks ago I went to a Quaker funeral. Never been to one before; there wasn't a ceremony as such but the deceased's husband gave an account of her life and how he'd miss her. Then after a few minutes contemplation, various members of the congregation got up and said something nice about her, from their own particular perspective. What a nice person she'd been, how she'd helped them; things like that.
    Then the family went out to the graveyard and we waited for a bit then went into the next room for coffee and cake. And that was that.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    kle4 said:

We don't know exactly how many heads of state (or heads of government) will attend, but at a speculation it will be a lot, but, might this be the most heads of state in one place at the same time?

At a guess Nelson Mandelas funeral was probably pretty popular with heads of state (and fake sign lagwage translators) could this be more so?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

*nods sagely at quotation, and moves on to*
    the smallest funeral I have ever been to had 8 people at it, including the vicar and two individuals who had never met the deceased.
    It was my grandmother. I am from a tiny, tiny family, and she had outlived absolutely all of her contemporaries.
    It was still a good send off. Not godawful at all.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944
    NEW: Westminster Voting Intention

🌹LAB: 44% (+2)
    🌳CON: 32% (+1)
    🔶LDM: 9% (-1)

via, @DeltapollUK • Fieldwork: 09-12/09
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

*nods sagely at quotation, and moves on to*
    the smallest funeral I have ever been to had 8 people at it, including the vicar and two individuals who had never met the deceased.
    It was my grandmother. I am from a tiny, tiny family, and she had outlived absolutely all of her contemporaries.
    It was still a good send off. Not godawful at all.
    Yep, small funerals can be terrific.

You know me and song lyrics - that's all that was.
  • Options

The new broom is daft as a brush.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

MISTY said:

Still gives me chills.

"It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation. Of the massacre of mankind".
    I always "swarmed and multiplied in a drop of water"
    Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/richard-bates/war-of-the-worlds-richard
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,155
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

That DCMS queuing Youtube movie has the most horrendous visual design complete with flashing light. queasymaking barber pole effect and a weird fade and rotate for the royal crown/cipher. You'd think they were trying to put folk off.

"The queue is currently approx 2.5 miles long". A nice mix of 2.5 for the metric martyrs and miles for the imperial pedants, but why the abbreviation "approx" rather than the whole word "about"? (The landmark and w3w change frequently.)
    Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

I'd probably wait a couple of hours to see Her Majesty. But 24 or 30 hours? I'm afraid that it is too much for me.
    As I predicted. It has become a mass event in itself. THE QUEUE TO SEE THE QUEEN

People will talk about it for decades to come. “Remember when we queued for 79 hours and still didn’t see anything? Happy days”

People crave the mass shared experience. Cf Diana. It is old skool religion. Royalty provides it

• Options

Utter lunacy.
    No, just unnecessary and silly.
  • Options

Utter lunacy.
    Keeps them off the streets at least.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Seriously? I think you might be confusing analysis for opinion (as in "I understand why that skinhead beat up that minority person"); it doesn't say anything about approval or not but if you really think that the death of a monarch is not the big deal it is for several of many, many reasons then I suggest it isn't my perception that is at fault.

No idea what you do, if indeed you do anything, but I bet the monarch touches your life (personal or professional) in some way in terms of how such things are organised or some element of it which is governed by it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

No, that's my plan - a wake.
  • Options
    the queue is now a parkrun distance!
  • Options

A few weeks ago I went to a Quaker funeral. Never been to one before; there wasn't a ceremony as such but the deceased's husband gave an account of her life and how he'd miss her. Then after a few minutes contemplation, various members of the congregation got up and said something nice about her, from their own particular perspective. What a nice person she'd been, how she'd helped them; things like that.
    Then the family went out to the graveyard and we waited for a bit then went into the next room for coffee and cake. And that was that.

I've been to a Quaker funeral. It was much as you describe, and also included a short interlude of silent contemplation.
    I loked it. I found it just as cathartic and moving as any other.
    Though my favourite funerals are the ones with prolonger periods of drinking at the end.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

No Truss bounce there, so far. Can she conjure one from an address at the funeral ?
  • Options
    Russians claimed that they had destroyed a barge with Ukrainian troops that was supposed to land at #Zaporizhzhia NPP.
    It's funny, but in the video they published, isn't a barge, but a pillar of a bridge that Nazis tried to build in 1943 during the German occupation of #Ukraine https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1570083294506516481/video/1

This is what the pillar looked like. https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1570083303495008256/photo/1
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Ah ok. With a video of some of your best moments on loop, I suppose.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

Just out of curiosity - as they are issuing numbered wristbands, is there any reason why there should be a queue at all?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Seriously? I think you might be confusing analysis for opinion (as in "I understand why that skinhead beat up that minority person"); it doesn't say anything about approval or not but if you really think that the death of a monarch is not the big deal it is for several of many, many reasons then I suggest it isn't my perception that is at fault.

No idea what you do, if indeed you do anything, but I bet the monarch touches your life (personal or professional) in some way in terms of how such things are organised or some element of it which is governed by it.
    It seems you seek an argument before wisdom.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

No Truss bounce there, so far. Can she conjure one from an address at the funeral ?
    Can anyone explain why she has been wearing a fascinator at each event?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

kle4 said:

We don't know exactly how many heads of state (or heads of government) will attend, but at a speculation it will be a lot, but, might this be the most heads of state in one place at the same time?

At a guess Nelson Mandelas funeral was probably pretty popular with heads of state (and fake sign lagwage translators) could this be more so?
    My abiding memory of Mandela's funeral was Obama shaking hands with Raul Castro, and when he faced criticism for it, Colbert doing his schtick asking 'Is Nelson Mandela's memorial really the place for reconciliation?'
  • Options
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Once you go haiku-esque you know you've lost.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The new broom is daft as a brush.
    In fairness mere daftness is a big step up on his predecessor.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Nigel who?
    He was the UKIP leader and unofficial voice of Brexit
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Ah ok. With a video of some of your best moments on loop, I suppose.
    None of that shite. Just a very open bar.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Well you're all invited to mine.
    The mystery guest is always a fun subplot of a funeral.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

Not. Good. Enough.

In fact I have doubts that Truss has skewered Labour with her NI and other progressive tax cuts. If next year is recession, inflation and energy bill pain for some of the most hard up poor and working people in our country, Truss cuts of progressive tax will at same time make the richer households benefit substantially, like plans to reverse national insurance tax increase. Rather than skewer Labour, richer households getting lots more than poorer ones at time of hardship will play right into some killer messaging from all the opposition party’s won’t it?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

He also backed Putin.
    He hasnt backed Putin at all
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Not at all - I meant that you were arguing as the first thought. My reply may have seemed a bit Japanese, but it was actually just plain old English, and a happy summary.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Russians claimed that they had destroyed a barge with Ukrainian troops that was supposed to land at #Zaporizhzhia NPP.
    It's funny, but in the video they published, isn't a barge, but a pillar of a bridge that Nazis tried to build in 1943 during the German occupation of #Ukraine https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1570083294506516481/video/1

This is what the pillar looked like. https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1570083303495008256/photo/1

Well they did say they were going to de-Nazify Ukraine.
    It’s only take them eight months to find their first target.
  • Options
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

Just out of curiosity - as they are issuing numbered wristbands, is there any reason why there should be a queue at all?
    Could be so they know when to cut it off, as per Scotland, so the news said. They have a flow rate and a number that that throws up and presumably give wristbands to that number. And then afterwards those with a wristband can head on to the Ministry of Sound for Happy Hour.
  • Options
    FINAL RESULT: SWEDISH GENERAL ELECTION 2022

CONSERVATIVE WIN

BY THREE SEATS

Seat distribution

Likely minority conservative coalition government:

Moderates 68 seats
    Christian Democrats 19

Likely confidence & supply parties:

Sweden Democrats 73
    Liberals 16

Total team Kristersson: 176 seats

Likely opposition parties:

Social Democrats (outgoing minority government) 107

Centre Party 24
    Left Party 24
    Greens 18

Total team Andersson: 173 seats

(Note: a Grand Coalition of Moderates + Social Democrats would also have a one seat majority: 175 seats.)
  • Options
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Not at all - I meant that you were arguing as the first thought. My reply may have seemed a bit Japanese, but it was actually just plain old English, and a happy summary.
    If you are happy then our work here is done.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited September 2022
    The only change from Sunday is that the Moderates took 1 late seat, at the expense of the Social Democrats. Probably the overseas voters.

The Social Democrats would have won if it had not been for the new Islamic party taking 1.5% of the vote.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Well you're all invited to mine.
    The mystery guest is always a fun subplot of a funeral.
    I believe the thing to do is to arrange for a very attractive young woman to come dressed in black, stand at the graveside a little way away from the rest of the mourners, dab her eyes every so often, and hurry away afterwards. Causes an enormous amount of conversation!

Only works for a man's funeral, of course!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

He also backed Putin.
    He hasnt backed Putin at all
    Here he is attacking the new King.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/21/ukip-nigel-farage-prince-charles-hitler_n_5363536.html
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

If you are happy then our work here is done.
    Sure.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

Could be so they know when to cut it off, as per Scotland, so the news said. They have a flow rate and a number that that throws up and presumably give wristbands to that number. And then afterwards those with a wristband can head on to the Ministry of Sound for Happy Hour.
    Don't understand that. You mean they will stop issuing wristbands towards the end, based on the length of the queue and how fast the queue is moving. If they just controlled admission on the basis of wristband number, they could just as well stop issuing numbers on a similar basis towards the end.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Now 2.9 miles.

Holy f*ck.

Yes there is.

How are you planning on having people turn up exactly in order? You would - whatever happens - need a queue of 1,000 or so people, that are (roughly at least) in the right wristband order.

However, you could say "people with wristbands 230,000 to 240,000 don't turn up until tomorrow at 7:20am"
This discussion has been closed.