Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why’s crickets still going ahead but not football? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    HYUFD said:

The Governor General of Canada has presided over a ceremony to proclaim Charles IIIrd as Canada's new King at a ceremony at Rideau Hall attended by PM Trudeau and his Cabinet
    https://www.cpac.ca/episode?id=441a0101-eca4-4e08-85ee-e593a2c07f88

Canadian servitude secured. A tribute of their most attractive women to be offloaded at Bllingsgate Fish Market for the common folk of London to take to wife.
    Now thats tradition to savour
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    Are we sure about these Ukraine claims, the airport, cannot believe that and Isyum is it not split into two by the river and the bridges are down.
    I would hesitate, in any case such a speed of advance would mean the Ukrainians will be ahead of their supplies and support.
    There is nothing on the Kiev Post website.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

Leon said:

A friend messages

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11199259/Royal-beekeeper-informed-Queens-bees-HM-died-King-Charles-new-boss.html?ito=whatsapp_share_article-top

Royal beekeeper informs the Queen's bees that Her Majesty has died

He adds:

“love our country, love our traditions, love our monarchy - fucking amazing”

🥂

There's a lot of scope for someone of appropriate bent to make up an even more ridiculous story - e.g.

* Duke of Cornwall swaps turds with the Earl Marshal, in a tradition dating back to Agincourt, or

* Lord Chamberlain wears his oldest servant's unwashed underwear on his head as he recites lines from the Book of Revelations in the direction of the Palace mousehouse.

Do it right, and Tory monarchists will praise it. They will say that such "traditions" make Britain a country that is so much finer than all the foreign countries. Some will refer to Chesterton's fence. They will sneer that only Kremlin-paid dirty oiks in the IRA who shop at Aldi's and don't deserve to get health treatment if they fall ill would think any differently. "Ignorant" - that's what any person who scoffs at this anthropologically wholly healthy and species-enriching behaviour is. That's obvious! Obvious once you have the sophistication and culture to approve of it!

There's gotta be scope to pull something like this. Some Tories are watching blokes dressed in mediaeval tabards on their TV sets and blubbing and saying they're living through such an important moment in history. They say this openly. They boast about it. They're half cracking up over it.

Time to strike!
    I think @Dynamo needs a special PB group hug
    Maybe, but I do think his suggestion of making up even sillier traditions is a good one.
    Though the suggestion you could get Establishment figures to support these ludicrous un-traditions has already been shown in Chris Morris's Cake edition of Brass Eye.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbq3kc29Tmg
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited September 2022
    pigeon said:

Thoughts and prayers for the Cobyn Left. e.g. (posted 3rd Aug):

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb
    Not sure when it became blasphemous to argue Ukraine can’t defeat a global nuclear superpower??

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1554942022607314945

That lot will still be blaming the West enthusiastically for everything even if the Ukrainians do manage to pull it off. All of the death and destruction is obviously our fault for scaring poor, vulnerable, innocent Czar Vladimir the Baby Butcher, innit?
    I think Russia has been talking about alliance against the 'Imperialists' when talking up their better relations with North Korea? A term so ridiculous it can only be to try to give USA haters around the globe pretext for why they are supporting Russia's invasion.

I mean, lots of places won't care about Ukraine, it's not as though we care about all other places around the globe, but to actively support Russia rather than just not care takes a lot more effort.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

Leon said:

A friend messages

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11199259/Royal-beekeeper-informed-Queens-bees-HM-died-King-Charles-new-boss.html?ito=whatsapp_share_article-top

He adds:

🥂

There's a lot of scope for someone of appropriate bent to make up an even more ridiculous story - e.g.

* Duke of Cornwall swaps turds with the Earl Marshal, in a tradition dating back to Agincourt, or

* Lord Chamberlain wears his oldest servant's unwashed underwear on his head as he recites lines from the Book of Revelations in the direction of the Palace mousehouse.

Do it right, and Tory monarchists will praise it. They will say that such "traditions" make Britain a country that is so much finer than all the foreign countries. Some will refer to Chesterton's fence. They will sneer that only Kremlin-paid dirty oiks in the IRA who shop at Aldi's and don't deserve to get health treatment if they fall ill would think any differently. "Ignorant" - that's what any person who scoffs at this anthropologically wholly healthy and species-enriching behaviour is. That's obvious! Obvious once you have the sophistication and culture to approve of it!

There's gotta be scope to pull something like this. Some Tories are watching blokes dressed in mediaeval tabards on their TV sets and blubbing and saying they're living through such an important moment in history. They say this openly. They boast about it. They're half cracking up over it.

Time to strike!
    Maybe, but I do think his suggestion of making up even sillier traditions is a good one.
    Though the suggestion you could get Establishment figures to support these ludicrous un-traditions has already been shown in Chris Morris's Cake edition of Brass Eye.
    Its a 'made up' drug. Its made in 'kitchens'
  • Options
    theakes said:

Are we sure about these Ukraine claims, the airport, cannot believe that and Isyum is it not split into two by the river and the bridges are down.
    I would hesitate, in any case such a speed of advance would mean the Ukrainians will be ahead of their supplies and support.

There's already been some fake stuff out there, there's bound to be more. But I could see a lot of disinformation being flooded to Russia right now so they think nowhere is safe.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

Leon said:

A friend messages

He adds:

🥂

Time to strike!
    That was hillarious TV from Chris Morris, the likes of which we will probably never see again. Bettered only by “Paedo-geddon”.
  • Options

Overall RU military morale must be close to terminal breakdown?

Surely Putin has to go for full mobilisation? He's tied everything into his dream of penis enlargementterritorial expansion.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

Leon said:

A friend messages

He adds:

🥂

Time to strike!
    That was hillarious TV from Chris Morris, the likes of which we will probably never see again. Bettered only by “Paedo-geddon”.
    Phil Collins 'im talking nonce sense'
    Genius
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024

Leon said:

Leon said:

‘Heavy Battle right now reported from #Donetsk Airport.’

https://twitter.com/anonopsse/status/1568603651664478208?s=21&t=8VluIRM0iw8w_22sOnQSPw

The war could end before tea at the Test

This is all excellent news.

A small voice in my head is worrying though whether Putin does something insane if he fears he is losing? Let's hope not.
    Yes, of course, that is the fear

But you can’t fight a war based on fears like that. Because that way Putin can get anything he wants just with the threat, and we will never be rid of this scourge

We have to pray that saner voices in Russia, or perhaps the Chinese, sort him out
    I totally agree with you.

Strange times, eh? ;-)
    If - when?? - the war is won I am sure normal bickering can resume, and will do so. It will be a sign of real recovery when we are cruelly berating each other again
  • Options
    theakes said:

According to the BBC, Russia's defence ministry says troops have retreated from Isyum "to regroup". So I'm sure w can believe that claim. The stated reason for the retreat is to "bolster efforts" on the Donetsk front.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

Surely Putin has to go for full mobilisation? He's tied everything into his dream of penis enlargementterritorial expansion.
    There are few options left for him other than full mobilisation (which takes time), abject retreat in disarray, or going full Tonto with the nuclear weapons.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,940

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/anonopsse/status/1568603651664478208?s=21&t=8VluIRM0iw8w_22sOnQSPw

A small voice in my head is worrying though whether Putin does something insane if he fears he is losing? Let's hope not.
    Lots of questions to be answered.

Does he stay in power and sulk, leading Russia into North Korean style autarchy?

Or if he goes, does he go quietly, or does he get shoved out of a window? Does a third party offer him a way out - retire to a dacha and never be heard from again, exile in Belarus etc. Or does it all resemble Downfall only this time the madman in the bunker has a big red button to press.

I think at this stage it's important not to get too far ahead of ourselves but if we are heading into an endgame these are the questions that will need to be asked.

From an economic perspective, if Putin goes, how quickly would the energy crisis resolve itself? How soon would we be taking deliveries of Russian gas again? Would we want to? And could it be the beginning of the end for the cost of living crisis?

From a UK political perspective, if the war does end soon(ish) and the cost of living crisis abates, could Truss be the luckiest general ever?

As I say, it's dangerous to get too far ahead of ourselves just yet, but if we are witnessing a total collapse of the invasion, the political and economic landscape might look very, very different in a very short space of time.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    edited September 2022
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

Leon said:

A friend messages

He adds:

🥂

Time to strike!
    Don't forget about Cake.

Edit: I see that's what the link is.
  • Options
    Tanks seem to be doing a bit better these last few days than they did in the first six months of the war
  • Options

kle4 said:

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb
    Not sure when it became blasphemous to argue Ukraine can’t defeat a global nuclear superpower??

What was weirder was their stance that there would be no point in even trying to defeat or hold off Russia, so just end things now.

It's quite possible for someone to win militarily but at such cost they cannot hold onto their gains, and so well worth resisting.

Rather gave the game away about their real concerns.
    I think it's fair to say that Dura Ace has utterly humiliated himself on this front. His "expert" military analysis has proven comprehensively and embarrassingly wrong at virtually every stage, from pea-shooter NLAWs on

He should stick to driving like a Count with nothing to lose
    He was pretty spot on with his advice to you about your Ramboesque aspirations. I can’t recall if you said what foiled your plan B of driving supplies to Ukraine?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

ping said:

FPT;

ping said:

Charles’s “kind” comments about Harry and Meghan need to be seen in the context of Harry’s book deal. The firm are terrified about it’s contents.

Thanks to events, they’ve got H&M pinned down. This is their one and only opportunity.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall!

If Charles was smart, he’d recognise that Liz’s disastrous “no half-in-half-out” policy was a major factor contributing to the current situation.
    Meghan and Harry's standing among the British people is not quite as bad as Prince Andrew's, but it's a long way below everyone else in the royal family. I don't think they are any sort of threat, however much insight they provide into the problems faced by titled multi-millionaires.
    I am far less worried about them than I was 2 years ago, when I think they did real political damage - particularly in the Carribean and amongst younger non-white Britons here.

But, they've shot their bolt now.
    Hmm. Arguably Harry identified the right question (what does the Spare Heir do once they're not needed any more?) and had a better answer than his uncles (get the hell out of Dodge and do something else with the rest of his life).

Which is not the answer that the tabloids wanted. And some of the fuckups on the way have been blown up into great evil as a result.
    He could have chosen to withdraw from public life and work hard for his charities and causes.

Instead, he (and his wife) has built his ‘career’ on criticising his own family - something which was quickly wearing off before the events of this week.
    You'll love Harry's book launch. Especially if it's at the Al Fayed place in Finland.

Why shouldn't a person criticise family members if they've treated them like absolute dirt? In real life, people do it all the time. Who TF does the king think he is?

I wonder whether Harry will be allowed to his grandmother's funeral.
    Of course he will, he went to Philip's
    I wouldn't be so sure of that.

"Prince Harry was told not to bring Meghan Markle with him when he flew up to see the Queen as she died."

"It is understood Harry was at Frogmore cottage in Windsor when Charles called to say he should not bring his wife.

The Sussexes had announced they would travel up to Balmoral together, without consulting royals, The Sun reported.

But a source told the paper: "Charles told Harry that it wasn't right or appropriate for Meghan to be in Balmoral at such a deeply sad time.

'It was pointed out to him that Kate was not going and that the numbers really should be limited to the very closest family. Charles made it very, very clear Meghan would not be welcome.' [...]

Harry was also refused a seat on the RAF plane that took up his brother William, now the Prince of Wales, as well as Prince Andrew and Prince Edward.
    "
    Thinking further about that, what an utterly appalling piece of shittiness declining to give your own brother a lift to see his dying grandmother. I don't do the Daily Mail blood boiling about the Royal Family thing, but that is as spiteful a bit of shittiness as it is possible to imagine.

The RAF lot got to balmoral at 5pm so landed Aberdeen say 1545 so left London 1415. So he has been told to fuck off by 2 pm absolute latest. So either he was - almost incredibly - deprived of the chance of final words with his grandmother, or everyone involved knew she was dead by then anyway (and it is still a jawdropping bit of petty shittiness).

We are straight into a Royal crisis when people cotton on to this.
    Unwise to assume that a lot of speculation in a newspaper report resembles the facts.
    Oh really? And there was me reaching my 60s thinking the best approach was to take every word as gospel. Thanks for the heads up.

The flight timetable is verifiable and speaks to a great extent for itself.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,171
    edited September 2022
    theakes said:

The Russians have now announced a "withdrawal" from Kharkiv Oblast to Luhansk and Donetsk. Not everything that has been claimed will turn out to be true, but the substance of it is. Ukraine has comprehensively defeated Russia on the battlefields of Kharkiv Oblast.

It will be interesting to hear the details of how many troops were captured.
  • Options

theakes said:

The Russians have now announced a "withdrawal" from Kharkiv Oblast to Luhansk and Donetsk. Not everything that has been claimed will turn out to be true, but the substance of it is. Ukraine has comprehensively defeated Russia on the battlefields of Kharkiv Oblast.

Hopefully that might mean Ukraine can trade for some of theirs who have been captured.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    kle4 said:

Even if he goes for full mobilisation how long will it actually take? The Ukrainians are already 6 months ahead. They would need the weapons and training.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb

What was weirder was their stance that there would be no point in even trying to defeat or hold off Russia, so just end things now.

It's quite possible for someone to win militarily but at such cost they cannot hold onto their gains, and so well worth resisting.

I think it's fair to say that Dura Ace has utterly humiliated himself on this front. His "expert" military analysis has proven comprehensively and embarrassingly wrong at virtually every stage, from pea-shooter NLAWs on

He was pretty spot on with his advice to you about your Ramboesque aspirations. I can’t recall if you said what foiled your plan B of driving supplies to Ukraine?
    Very true. He was right about that.

I realised I couldn't drive to Ukraine to drunk so I walked around Catalonia drunk instead
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, of course, that is the fear

But you can’t fight a war based on fears like that. Because that way Putin can get anything he wants just with the threat, and we will never be rid of this scourge

We have to pray that saner voices in Russia, or perhaps the Chinese, sort him out
    I totally agree with you.

Strange times, eh? ;-)
    If - when?? - the war is won I am sure normal bickering can resume, and will do so. It will be a sign of real recovery when we are cruelly berating each other again
    The green shoots will come when a savage, week long, tyranny is brought upon me by merely lightly roasting a random personality.
    The gay abandon of randomized rage. The pant bulge of apparantly inexcusable accidental offence
    A personal evocation of a punishment beating for dissing Geoff Hoon
    Glory be
  • Options

kle4 said:

Even if he goes for full mobilisation how long will it actually take? The Ukrainians are already 6 months ahead. They would need the weapons and training.
    Depends I suppose. How long does it take to ship cannon fodder, or useful resources?
  • Options
    Are there any decent maps of how much the Ukrainians have liberated this week, versus how much had been lost since the 2022 invasion began?
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Depends I suppose. How long does it take to ship cannon fodder, or useful resources?
    They could attempt to overwhelm the Ukrainians via the medium of mass surrender.

• Options
    Foss said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

They could attempt to overwhelm the Ukrainians via the medium of mass surrender.

Aha! That's why Macron has been on the phone to Putin so often ...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Foss said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Well, Ukraine are going to have to house, feed and guard all these prisoners. That's not a trivial exercise in itself.

Unless they ship them to Poland, of course.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

There are few options left for him other than full mobilisation (which takes time), abject retreat in disarray, or going full Tonto with the nuclear weapons.
    There are a couple of big problems with full mobilisation.

Firstly, they've consumed most of the training capability for mobilisation to provide officers for the volunteer battalions that they've cobbled together in recent months. Their ability to train thousands of conscripts is severely limited.

Secondly, they've resisted a declaration of war and full mobilisation for good reasons of internal politics and stability. Full mobilisation would be a very risky step.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    pigeon said:

kle4 said:

Surely Putin has to go for full mobilisation? He's tied everything into his dream of penis enlargement territorial expansion.
    There are very good reasons why he hasn't gone in for such mass conscription tactics already - presumably the fact that putting AK47s in the hands of hundreds of thousands of angry, resentful young men who don't want to go and fight being near the top of the list?

The obvious risk is that the rank and file does what it did to the Tsar - they have a difference of opinion with the generals about whom the enemy is in all of this, and point their weapons in the opposite direction to that which their superiors intended.
    I imagine there has already been an element of fragging the Russian officer class in the past 48 hours....
  • Options

Are there any decent maps of how much the Ukrainians have liberated this week, versus how much had been lost since the 2022 invasion began?

I think it's literally changing too quickly. One of the osint war mappers on Twitter said this morning that they know everything they are posting currently is already significantly out of date
  • Options
    Foss said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Be like that scene in Braveheart when the Irish get sent in and just stop and chat to the Scottish troops.
  • Options
    Root hasn't hit a century in like 3-4 games. Drop him.
  • Options
    Twitter says that at the present rate of advance, the Ukes will be at the Russian border within 60 minutes

This is the Front which is quite near the border anyway, so it’s not quite as dramatic as it sounds

However someone else makes this point: why on earth would you turn and fight and risk your life for a Ukrainian town 3km from your own country, when you can just slip over the frontier and be safe in Russia?

This psychology could unfold across the war zone
  • Options
    The leader of the "Donetsk People's Republic" Denis Pushilin has recorded a video while fleeing the city saying that they were fighting against the whole "collective West" and not sounding very confident.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    Putin "obsessed" with avoiding an end like Gadhafi's? I doubt it. Other assertions have been that Putin is battling severe cancer, suffers from Parkinson's, has a secret daughter, is a paedophile, etc. As for Gadhafi, Reagan called him a transvestite. If anything, Putin may fear getting arrested by army brass, as Beria was - or just bumped off as Stalin may well have been.

PS Today the "Moscow Sun" big wheel opened in Moscow. It's almost but not quite on the same line of longitude as the Lubianka. If anyone knows the exact time it was declared open, I'd be very interested. Was it 12:59pm Moscow time (10:59am BST) by any chance, straight bang on today's full moon?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb

Very true. He was right about that.

I realised I couldn't drive to Ukraine to drunk so I walked around Catalonia drunk instead
    I guess supportive homages can take different forms. Policing other peoples opinions on the subject is still doing your bit, PB can provide a whole fucking battalion in that area.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,884
    Leon said:

However someone else makes this point: why on earth would you turn and fight and risk your life for a Ukrainian town 3km from your own country, when you can just slip over the frontier and be safe in Russia?

Because you might not be safe in Russia if you are shot as a deserter
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

Putin "obsessed" with avoiding an end like Gadhafi's? I doubt it. Other assertions have been that Putin is battling severe cancer, suffers from Parkinson's, has a secret daughter, is a paedophile, etc. As for Gadhafi, Reagan called him a transvestite. If anything, Putin may fear getting arrested by army brass, as Beria was - or just bumped off as Stalin may well have been.

The Gaddafi story has circulated for years, even prior to the invasion. That doesn't mean it is automatically true, but it isn't simply something that has sprung up as part of a package of negative stories about him.
  • Options
    A very personal statement from Prince William about losing his Grannie- who he says was by his side for his happiest and saddest days 👇 https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1568625281354579969/photo/1
  • Options

I think it's literally changing too quickly. One of the osint war mappers on Twitter said this morning that they know everything they are posting currently is already significantly out of date
    Yesterday one commentator was predicting that “within 72 hours” we should see Ukrainian troops approaching a city. Four hours later he posted a photo of them on the outskirts.
  • Options

The leader of the "Donetsk People's Republic" Denis Pushilin has recorded a video while fleeing the city saying that they were fighting against the whole "collective West"

Oh, is that unfair, Denis?

As the Ukrainians could tell him, if the collective west was fighting (rather than supporting) things would be going much much better for them long before now, and worse for Denis.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    Leon said:

Twitter says that at the present rate of advance, the Ukes will be at the Russian border within 60 minutes

This is the Front which is quite near the border anyway, so it’s not quite as dramatic as it sounds

I'm sceptical about these reports. It's difficult to believe anything coming out of a war zone.
  • Options

The leader of the "Donetsk People's Republic" Denis Pushilin has recorded a video while fleeing the city saying that they were fighting against the whole "collective West" and not sounding very confident.

Brave Sir Robin.....
  • Options

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

There are a couple of big problems with full mobilisation.

Firstly, they've consumed most of the training capability for mobilisation to provide officers for the volunteer battalions that they've cobbled together in recent months. Their ability to train thousands of conscripts is severely limited.

Secondly, they've resisted a declaration of war and full mobilisation for good reasons of internal politics and stability. Full mobilisation would be a very risky step.
    Yes, mobilization says to Russians “I have made a terrible mistake, now we all have to go to war to fight all of NATO, which is much richer and more powerful than us and will probably win”

Hard sell
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,334

kle4 said:

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb

To be fair, he was basing that on the fact that historically, anti-tank weapons have never stopped tank offensives. Even when the attackers have acted stupidly. The a recent example of that was the Israeli tanks vs missiles in 2006 - the Israelis drove a tank column into a trap due to poor recon. Despite facing a zillion high end anti-tank missiles, the Israelis lost 5 tanks (22 damaged, in total).

In addition the Ukrainian military had transformed itself, since 2014, into an extremely disciplined, well trained and effective force. From being worse than the French army in 1940.

The Russians, in contrast have proven to have dedicated the years since 2014 to making their military worse. A lot worse.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

I believe the army know people who could give him a 'special operation'.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,590
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb

Remember though that as well as the Tankies, a lot on the alt.right were talking the same:

Tucker: By any actual reality based measure, Vladimir Putin is not losing the war in Ukraine. He is winning the war in Ukraine (30th August)

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1564408136378843136?t=R6KZ8A3PHxXY5hBOuK5iWg&s=19

If the Russian rout continues, then Biden could well come out smelling of roses, while the Trumpists have rather a lot of egg on their faces.
    As a firm believer in the horseshoe theory it is no surprise to me the far right would say the same things.
    To many Republicans, ever since Trump’s first impeachment, Ukraine is a corrupt country that paid Hunter Biden, while Russia’s invasion is a “nothing burger” because the real threat is China. Also, energy prices going up are all daddy Biden’s fault or because of COVID lockdowns, but definitely nothing to do with the war.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Dynamo said:

PS Today the "Moscow Sun" big wheel opened in Moscow. It's almost but not quite on the same line of longitude as the Lubianka. If anyone knows the exact time it was declared open, I'd be very interested. Was it 12:59pm Moscow time (10:59am BST) by any chance, straight bang on today's full moon?

So sentence 1-2 LOL at the idea he fears being assassinated like a despot, but sentence 5 he may well fear being assassinated like a despot.

This is all taking its toll on you.
  • Options

theakes said:

Another "goodwill gesture"?

They should try really ingratiating themselves with the Ukrainian people - by fucking off back to Russia en masse.

Leaving their kit behind. The Ukrainians are hospitable people - they'll drive them to the border.
  • Options
    For comparison, total NATO defence spending is around $1 trillion

That is 2/3 of Russia’s entire GDP - $1.4 trillion

Russia cannot win all out conventional war with NATO, it would have to use nukes and commit suicide to get a draw
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I'm sceptical about these reports. It's difficult to believe anything coming out of a war zone.
    Well yes, the fog of war and all that.

Bu the piccies and videos coming out do not give a positive impression for the Russian forces, and are hard to fake. Villages and town recaptured (including pictures of Ukrainian troops at village signs), blown up and captured Russian equipment, and captured Russian POWs. The Ukrainian advance does seem more coherent than the Russian retreat.

I wonder what PutinGuy1983's 'alternative' sources are saying about this? A triumphant advance eastwards by the Russian forces? A pre-planned objective to reinforce other areas? It's all a lie?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Leon said:

Ukraine forces need to be more careful once they near that border though, if they are not permitted to attack anything or anyone beyond it. It could be like a lethal game of playground tig where the Russians can rest and then strike and nip back over the border where they are untouchable. no idea whether they will have the stomach to try that though.
  • Options

Tanks seem to be doing a bit better these last few days than they did in the first six months of the war

There was a paper presented by a serving Ukrainian officer, not long ago (must find it) that was saying that, far from being obsolete, tanks were doing more tasks than ever. He was arguing for the West sending modern tanks.

The bizarre thing the Russians do, sending single unsupported tanks down roads to star in Ukrainian videos, is not representative of how tanks are supposed to be used.
  • Options
    Time for Moldova to assault Transnistria? Russian forces there never more distracted.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Because you might not be safe in Russia if you are shot as a deserter
    Except the status of the war has always been a real problem for the Russians when it comes to enforcing discipline. As we all know, the Russian Government maintains the ridiculous conceit that the Ukrainian invasion is a "special military operation" and not a war.

IANAE but, insofar as I understand it, this has stripped the Russian commanders of much of their ability to punish reluctant conscripts. Desertion under those circumstances seems to be regarded legally as broadly equivalent to quitting your job without giving notice, rather than quitting your post in the face of the enemy - and those who succeed in running back home are more liable to suffer cessation of pay and perhaps, at worst, a stern telling off, than an appointment with the firing squad.
  • Options
    Given the shit state of their conventional weapons, can Russia actually still fire off a Nuke?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

There are far too many videos, reports, tweets, pics, Telegram messages, you name it - and from all sides - for these Ukrainian advances to be fictional

Of course it may all be a brilliant Russian feint, but as every hour goes by that seems less likely
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

Leon said:

A friend messages

He adds:

🥂

Time to strike!
    Don't forget about Cake.

Edit: I see that's what the link is.
    From an earlier Chris Morris iteration;

Bomb Dogs!
  • Options

Yesterday one commentator was predicting that “within 72 hours” we should see Ukrainian troops approaching a city. Four hours later he posted a photo of them on the outskirts.
    Or the analyst who said he was very sceptical of claims the Ukrainians could have reached Lysychenko (sp?), only to tweet two minutes later a picture of Ukrainian soldiers outside the town hall.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Brave Sir Robin.....
    To be fair, the Chicken of Kyiv turned out to be very fierce.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Well, Ukraine are going to have to house, feed and guard all these prisoners. That's not a trivial exercise in itself.

Rwanda, surely?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

Time for Moldova to assault Transnistria? Russian forces there never more distracted.

Wasn't there some story recently that they were to be withdrawn? Can't find it so may have misunderstood or imagined it.

Edit - I think it was this story:

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-force-sees-mass-desertion-amid-putins-recruitment-push-report-1741284

It would seem Lavrov shares your fears anyway, given the random threats he's been making to Moldova.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Rwanda, surely?
    The Poles would be very happy to see some defeated Russians. The Rwandans perhaps less so.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Given the shit state of their conventional weapons, can Russia actually still fire off a Nuke?

Only one way to find out
  • Options

There was a paper presented by a serving Ukrainian officer, not long ago (must find it) that was saying that, far from being obsolete, tanks were doing more tasks than ever. He was arguing for the West sending modern tanks.

The bizarre thing the Russians do, sending single unsupported tanks down roads to star in Ukrainian videos, is not representative of how tanks are supposed to be used.
    Russian general briefing Putin:

Putin: Tanks.

General: Don't mention it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Given how many are liquid fueled, and how touchy those chemicals are.....

Plus, I am quite sure that stealing the tritium from the warheads has been a thing.
  • Options
    Reports of Russians surrendering….
  • Options

Leon said:

Ukraine forces need to be more careful once they near that border though, if they are not permitted to attack anything or anyone beyond it. It could be like a lethal game of playground tig where the Russians can rest and then strike and nip back over the border where they are untouchable. no idea whether they will have the stomach to try that though.
    I think that it is only Western weapons that are an issue inside Russia. UkR has attacked Belgorod several times already.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,509
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb

I think Dura Ace has plenty to contribute given experience, but when people were hanging on his every word of analysis they missed one of his own comments that he should not be regarded as talking gospel about such matters. A more pessimistic analysis may well be needed against general optimism, but as we've seen for at least the last week, sometimes good news does happen.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb

I think Dura Ace has plenty to contribute given experience, but when people were hanging on his every word of analysis they missed one of his own comments that he should not be regarded as talking gospel about such matters. A more pessimistic analysis may well be needed against general optimism, but as we've seen for at least the last week, sometimes good news does happen.
    He can speak for himself, but he was pretty clear that what happens next is unpredictable. And that his expertise is about aircraft: note he was entirely correct from early on about the TB2s.
  • Options
    Ukraine really is a very big country, when you see just how much area Russia is deemed to have taken, and how much retaken even in the last few days

Wiki map
  • Options
    Leon said:

Reports of Russians surrendering….

What, the whole country? STW will actually explode.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think Moldova has hardly any forces itself.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Russian general briefing Putin:

Putin: Tanks.

General: Don't mention it.
    https://tanks-alot.co.uk
  • Options
    News of Chuck’s rehabilitation may be a little premature,

https://twitter.com/mammothwhale/status/1568627012503306247?s=21&t=YzEW6TmAynt8RD_F31rC8A

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

Wow.
  • Options
    Tweeted by the Prince & Princess of Wales:

https://twitter.com/kensingtonroyal/status/1568623203404201984
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's not something we really want to discover, is it? Just because their infantry, their armoured BTGs, their anti-air defence, and military planning have all proven to be poor, does not mean their nuclear systems are... ;)

Putin has to know that using nukes just puts him much deeper in the sh*t.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

Scott_xP said:

Only one way to find out
    I'd prefer not to know if it's all the same to you.
  • Options
    Rain at the Test.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    BBC News push notification: funeral confirmed for Monday 19th.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    edited September 2022
    BBC reporting State Funeral Monday 19th.

Edit - just posted

https://www.royal.uk/arrangements-funeral-her-majesty-queen
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,183
    Leon said:

Russia cannot win all out conventional war with NATO, it would have to use nukes and commit suicide to get a draw

Hence the irrationality of calls for more defence spending because of this.
  • Options

Starring in viral videos is a common ambition for the youth of today.
  • Options
    Mr. kinabalu, won't Russia itself spend to try and rearm and strengthen itself, though, as per the Ukrainians after 2014?
  • Options
    Ooo "tweet deleted".
  • Options

Mr. kinabalu, won't Russia itself spend to try and rearm and strengthen itself, though, as per the Ukrainians after 2014?

It certainly will need to sort out its military.

However, it will have new leadership and while they might be madder, they might also be more wary of biting off more than they can chew.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    New thread
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,667

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

Leon said:

A friend messages

He adds:

🥂

Time to strike!
    This was my list:

So a quick review and summary of all the changes we can expect:

'God Save the Queen' becomes 'God Save the King'
    New coins, banknotes and stamps to be issued in due course
    CiiiR postboxes to appear slowly
    QCs become KCs (fees to remain the same)
    Members of the House of Commons will be banned from wearing ties, and required to wear cravats.
    The use of 'thee' and 'thou' will be added back into the Guardian style book.
    Liverpool FC will go back to wearing their traditional blue, and Everton red (everyone forgets that it used to be like this, but the last change was so long ago, and in black and white)
    Fans of the rock band Queen will now become fans of rock band King Crimson.
    Witches will be expected to ride their broomsticks astride, rather than sidesaddle.
    Stonehenge will be rotated thirty degrees sunwise.
    At the first full moon following the coronation, the White Horse at Uffington will be redrawn to face the other way, as has traditionally been done at the accession of every new monarch since Edmund Ironside.
    Hang on, you're conflating Mr Rees-Mogg's reforms with the Royal traditions in cases 5 and 6.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,197
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Or we could offer him the "exile in whatever grandiosely vulgar socially distanced palace is available" option?

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/03/09/what-to-do-with-a-cornered-rat/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Matt Zarb-Cousin
    @mattzarb

He can speak for himself, but he was pretty clear that what happens next is unpredictable. And that his expertise is about aircraft: note he was entirely correct from early on about the TB2s.
    Yes. Eg I know about bond trading but that doesn't mean I know how the debt markets will react to Liz Truss bingeing on the national credit card.

Sounds like but for domestic events Ukraine would be all over the news today then - Gosh.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Or we could offer him the "exile in whatever grandiosely vulgar socially distanced palace is available" option?

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/03/09/what-to-do-with-a-cornered-rat/
    Palace of Broadmoor?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    This reminds me of Jutland. What's the Russian translation of "There seems to be something wrong with our army today."

Where is this reserve army supposedly resting in Russia?
  • Options
    Driver said:

BBC News push notification: funeral confirmed for Monday 19th.

I have 3 clinical sessions booked that day. Bit of a sod for the patients cancelled, I suppose find out on Monday what is working. I would happily take a lieu day another time.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    New thread
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Hence the irrationality of calls for more defence spending because of this.
    Not really. I think the rational is that European countries should not be relying on the US to protect them.
    That does need to be thought about, yes. But with Russia in decline and China not directly our business I think the long term trend on UK defence spending as % of gdp should probably be down.
This discussion has been closed.