Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The first post leadership polling not good for Truss – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    The PB Left - and on the Guardian, and beyond - would be FAR better off if they just celebrated this evidence of racial progress in Britain, and then moved swiftly on

Anything else looks disturbingly and bizarrely churlish, and also partisan to an odd degree. Tsk. Basic fail
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865

moonshine said:

What do we suppose Boris is doing on his final night as PM? Taking his pick of the wine cellar? Defacing the gold wallpaper with his bodily fluids? Something good I bet.

A clinch with Carrie, a stroke of Larry, and some red wine on the sofa ? And some furious scribbled plottings for his return, perhaps ?
    Writing the first of his new weekly articles in the Telegraph.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049
    dixiedean said:

How does Liz sell a plan to have consumers pay back on energy over 20 years?

No idea.
    Most seem to think prices in general will go down to what they were sometime soon.
    Even if they do there will be a substantial repayment surcharge for a couple of decades.

I am not sure how that works for new households, who never got the primary benefit.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,812
    edited September 2022

My eldest son is 12 and tomorrow he will be onto his fifth PM of his lifetime.

I was nearly 29 when I had my first five PMs in my lifetime.

Hmmm 4 by the time i was 5 but 18 when the fifth hit, now 12
    Im on my 28th England cricket captain though
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

Leon said:

Can we just reread that guardian quote about the Tory cabinet

“It’s not enough to be a Black or ethnic minority politician in this country or a cabinet member. That’s not what representation is about.”

What the holy fuck is “representation about” if occupying all the senior positions in the actual British cabinet - unprecedented in western politics - is not seen as some kind of “racial progress”?

What does she want? What would satisfy Ms Shah, at least for now?

I think it's progress. I've said so before. But if you're a black bus driver or a nurse of Indian descent, you're unlikely to feel especially represented by the Cabinet. The Conservative Party no longer minds people of ethnic minorities, on condition that they're rich or move in rich circles. It's better than the raw prejudice of yesteryear, but doesn't take us very far.
    Wasn't Sajid Javid's father a bus driver?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    So Truss offered Dorries the same job to destroy the BBC and Channel 4 and she turned it down and will apparently resign .

• dixiedean said:

When we get a Cabinet minister who's lived a decade on benefits, that's inclusive.

No, that's just somebody with an extraordinary life story.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Leon said:

In all seriousness this new Tory Cabinet is going to be quite startling in appearance

A female leader with all three major places filled by minority ethnic MPs (even if they “don’t count” because they are posh)

Labour is going to seem very white and perhaps a tad old fashioned in contrast. Maybe this accounts for lefty dyspepsia on here tonight

A late middled age white lawyer knight is a comfortingly familiar brand though for PM.

I do fear that neither Keir or Liz have very appealing voices though, nor much for excitement, but I can get past that.
    Leon said:

The PB Left - and on the Guardian, and beyond - would be FAR better off if they just celebrated this evidence of racial progress in Britain, and then moved swiftly on

Anything else looks disturbingly and bizarrely churlish, and also partisan to an odd degree. Tsk. Basic fail

I just have. The are diverse, but they are still numpties.

Plenty of diverse numpties on the opposition benches too.

moonshine said:

What do we suppose Boris is doing on his final night as PM? Taking his pick of the wine cellar? Defacing the gold wallpaper with his bodily fluids? Something good I bet.

A clinch with Carrie, a stroke of Larry, and some red wine on the sofa ? And some furious scribbled plottings for his return, perhaps ?
    Writing the first of his new weekly articles in the Telegraph.
    Indeed. He supposedly wants to put “hay In the loft”

I bet imaginary folding money with myself he is running up a proposal for his memoirs - chapter breakdown, suggested title, etc - which his agent will now take to senior editors in London and NYC

Then he will watch the offers roll in. They will be big
  • kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC: Dorries was asked to carry on but decided not to.

Happy days.

Come on JRM, don't let us down, say you also feel it is time to step back.
    Frost is also out of the picture

Just JRM to go
    Careful what you wish for.

Patel's replacement by Braverman might not be much of an improvement.

And Badenoch for Dorries?

RobD said:

kle4 said:

My son is 12 and tomorrow he will be onto his fifth PM of his lifetime.

The lucky devil, so much more excitement. If only we could have been there in the Year of Five Emperors.
    We had the year of the three emperors in 1936. Three-fifths as exciting.
    The abdication crisis was more exciting than the year of five emperors.

It was great to see a Tory PM oust the monarch.

Hopefully Liz Truss will follow in Baldwin’s august footsteps.

If Her Majesty decides to marry a dodgy divorcee at this stage I think we're in for a hell of an end period to this reign.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

“It’s not enough to be a Black or ethnic minority politician in this country or a cabinet member. That’s not what representation is about.”

What the holy fuck is “representation about” if occupying all the senior positions in the actual British cabinet - unprecedented in western politics - is not seen as some kind of “racial progress”?

I think it's progress. I've said so before. But if you're a black bus driver or a nurse of Indian descent, you're unlikely to feel especially represented by the Cabinet. The Conservative Party no longer minds people of ethnic minorities, on condition that they're rich or move in rich circles. It's better than the raw prejudice of yesteryear, but doesn't take us very far.
    Yes, but that's no excuse. Nor Patel's refugee parents. Nor Sunak's parents' pharmacy shop.

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Leon said:

In all seriousness this new Tory Cabinet is going to be quite startling in appearance

A female leader with all three major places filled by minority ethnic MPs (even if they “don’t count” because they are posh)

Labour is going to seem very white and perhaps a tad old fashioned in contrast. Maybe this accounts for lefty dyspepsia on here tonight

Identity politics.
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

The lucky devil, so much more excitement. If only we could have been there in the Year of Five Emperors.

If Her Majesty decides to marry a dodgy divorcee at this stage I think we're in for a hell of an end period to this reign.
    I'm available.

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC: Dorries was asked to carry on but decided not to.

Happy days.

Come on JRM, don't let us down, say you also feel it is time to step back.
    Frost is also out of the picture

Just JRM to go
    Careful what you wish for.

Patel's replacement by Braverman might not be much of an improvement.

And Badenoch for Dorries?
    They say better the devil you know, but an optimist should always plump for the next devil, you might get lucky.
  • Leon said:

My piece Sunday will cover this.

It begins with 'Enoch Powell was right, the darkies have got the whip hand over the white man.'
  • nico679 said:

So Truss offered Dorries the same job to destroy the BBC and Channel 4 and she turned it down and will apparently resign .

She got bored of trying to kill the channel that the tory membership love the most as they slabber over the items on antiques roadshow and pray to Songs of praise whilst secretly occasionally watching Mrs Browns Boys.
    dixiedean said:

I'm available.

I think Boris already has designs in that direction. An unconventional means to retain power, certainly.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720

Leon said:

It begins with 'Enoch Powell was right, the darkies have got the whip hand over the white man.'
    Why oh why did you have to ban @isam? He must be so conflicted right now.
    edited September 2022
    dixiedean said:

When we get a Cabinet minister who's lived a decade on benefits, that's inclusive.

Paddy Ashdown was on the dole for a year after he left the Marines. Not sure any other party leader has signed on.

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Yep

• Nad gone. Newsnight.

I am so happy tonight

Don’t celebrate just yet. Culture Secretary Mark Francois anyone?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Labour have never come close to electing a female leader. Their best chance of a non white leader was Chuka and he was hounded out the party to the Lib Dems along with most of the Jewish MPs. And yet somehow they claim to be the party of feminism and racial equality. Ridiculous.
    I don't think Labour are incapable of electing a woman just as the Tories are not incapable of electing a non white leader, even though they didn't today. But whilst overall Labour have overwhelming support from non-white voters (though clearly not universally), I don't know why some people seem to get furious at non-white Tories - it's not uncommon, so clearly they are representative of a certain strand of opinion, if indeed we must demand they represent someone more than their constituents of all kinds.

But then I would say that as a middle class white person.
    Diversity in the top jobs is to be celebrated. No caveat to that. What's a bit 'pass the sick bucket' is right wing loons who don't give a shit about racial equality trolling the left with nonsensical assertions that the make-up of this Truss cabinet shows the Tories are the bees knees on the subject and are more committed than Labour to fighting racism.
    It can be overblown, certainly. It's why people like the original bit quoted should not give them an opening via caveats to over egg their achievements and whitewash any concerns.

Likewise, three female PMs doesn't mean the Tories are the only ones who get the concerns of women. But if a fool claims they don't count as they had the wrong views and didn't really support women, well, that just helps the Tories so much.
    Yes there's 2 things if say a woman makes the top in politics.

The role model aspect. Just being there is enough for this

The active representation aspect. This depends on whether or not - and to what extent - she works to promote women's interests generally.

Same thing with eg people of colour.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Leon said:

Desperate stuff. The fact they are being criticised for their ideas and policies just goes to show how far some of us have travelled.

You could always catching up instead of whingeing in the background.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    Perhaps we have got so used to Trump, who did not tack to the centre after the election was over, that we have forgotten that almost every leader does.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Denys Davydov, the popular Ukrainian military vlogger, seems pleased Truss has won. He expects her to offer as much support for Ukraine as Boris Johnson has and possibly even more.

If I had a vote in this I’d have picked her too for the same reason. Sunak is a bean counter who may have been persuaded by his PR team to be anti Putin. For Truss it’s personal, after Lavrov and his gang’s behaviour to her.
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

Why oh why did you have to ban @isam? He must be so conflicted right now.
    He is still on the PB fantasy football league, and I have had occasional emails from him.
  • Leon said:

I'm delighted that skin colour is evidently not a barrier to people making it to the top of our politics.

I haven't done an equality audit of Labour politicians, but on the face of it a female shadow Chancellor, Asian Mayor of London and a black shadow Foreign Secretary doesn't look like a Labour party that's going to suffer from an appearance of being, "pale, male and stale."

The question is still whether they're going to inspire confidence in being good enough.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

Not sure I remember the usual tabloids being so over the top gushing partisan.

Desperate. Desperate. Desperate.

They know the voters have rumbled the new PM.

They can see the ultimate nightmare approaching - two decades, if not longer, in futile Opposition.
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Labour have never come close to electing a female leader. Their best chance of a non white leader was Chuka and he was hounded out the party to the Lib Dems along with most of the Jewish MPs. And yet somehow they claim to be the party of feminism and racial equality. Ridiculous.
    I don't think Labour are incapable of electing a woman just as the Tories are not incapable of electing a non white leader, even though they didn't today. But whilst overall Labour have overwhelming support from non-white voters (though clearly not universally), I don't know why some people seem to get furious at non-white Tories - it's not uncommon, so clearly they are representative of a certain strand of opinion, if indeed we must demand they represent someone more than their constituents of all kinds.

Diversity in the top jobs is to be celebrated. No caveat to that. What's a bit 'pass the sick bucket' is right wing loons who don't give a shit about racial equality trolling the left with nonsensical assertions that the make-up of this Truss cabinet shows the Tories are the bees knees on the subject and are more committed than Labour to fighting racism.
    It can be overblown, certainly. It's why people like the original bit quoted should not give them an opening via caveats to over egg their achievements and whitewash any concerns.

Likewise, three female PMs doesn't mean the Tories are the only ones who get the concerns of women. But if a fool claims they don't count as they had the wrong views and didn't really support women, well, that just helps the Tories so much.

The active representation aspect. This depends on whether or not - and to what extent - she works to promote women's interests generally.

I see you have finally and thankfully moved on from the awful, reductionist and frankly racist “BAME” to “people of colour”. The last PB-er to do so, I believe
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Paddy Ashdown was on the dole for a year after he left the Marines. Not sure any other party leader has signed on.

IDS did for a while, John Major maybe too
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,080
    edited September 2022
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

John Major did.
    John left the ornaments business the following year to care for his ill mother, though when she got better he was unable to find a new job and was unemployed for much of the latter half of 1962, a situation he says was "degrading". After Major became prime minister, it was misreported that his failure to get a job as a bus conductor resulted from his failing to pass a maths test; he had in fact passed all of the necessary tests but had been passed over owing to his height. In the meantime he studied for a qualification in banking via correspondence course. Eventually in December 1962 he found a job working at the London Electricity Board (LEB) in Elephant and Castle.

• DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    Dynamo said:

Woke department, channelling Leon - an interesting piece about how the meaning of "Jerusalem" has changed back and forth over the years. The musical discussion is over my head, but I see the abiguity of the text.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/sep/05/anti-empire-anti-fascist-pro-suffragette-last-night-of-the-proms-jerusalem-william-blake

Does Golda Schulz sing the Tory words "those Satanic mills", which change the entire articulation 180 degrees away from what William Blake actually wrote, namely "these Satanic mills"?

Jazmin Sawyers sings the words right. So did Paul Robeson.

You only have to look at the grammatical tenses and moods to appreciate that the last line of the second verse is the fulcrum. Whether it's "these" or "those" matters a LOT.

Jason Whittaker wrote his long article without mentioning public schools at all, or for that matter the actual 1917 battle for Jerusalem either. Christians retook the city from Muslims who had held it since 1187. That was considered rather momentous at the time, especially by posh Brits for obvious reasons. ("Take that, Mr Saladin!") Nor does Whittaker mention that the BBC blasted the song out on the radio to celebrate the defeat of the 1926 general strike.

Tories' mouths should burn when they try to appropriate anything by William Blake. It's even more annoying than John Major referencing George Orwell.

Blake was the guy who wrote "The Little Black Boy" and called the cathedral in the City of London "Paul's" rather than "Saint Paul's". Any Tories reading this...had you met Blake, no, you wouldn't have got on with him.

PS Glastonbury is a lovely town, with its Abbey and Tor and Thorn and its Dion Fortune memories and hippy vibe, and it would be an ace place to live were it not for all the rats which the last time I was there would often run into shops.

My eldest son is 12 and tomorrow he will be onto his fifth PM of his lifetime.

That's an interesting one. 16 for me.

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Baldwin just replaced Edward VIIIth with his brother, if Truss even thought about reverting to republicanism we would of course have to throw her out within 5 minutes as she would no longer be a Tory
    I too would like @isam back
    stodge said:

Not sure I remember the usual tabloids being so over the top gushing partisan.

Desperate. Desperate. Desperate.

They know the voters have rumbled the new PM.

They can see the ultimate nightmare approaching - two decades, if not longer, in futile Opposition.
    Two decades is a stretch. How long has it been since we've seen such a thing, even during some awful times? The 20s onward almost counts, but not quite, plus a long time with no election skews it.

I suspect the gushing is an attempt to cement a picture of the new PM in the eyes of those who have not been paying attention and nothing more, 'See, she's actually really awesome'.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    edited September 2022
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Desperate stuff. The fact they are being criticised for their ideas and policies just goes to show how far some of us have travelled.

Kemi Badenoch told an anecdote about campaigning in her first General Election when she stood against Tessa Jowell, and she knocked on one Labour party member's door who was indignant about a young black woman standing for the Tories "after everything we've done for you people".
    edited September 2022

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

John Major did.
    John left the ornaments business the following year to care for his ill mother, though when she got better he was unable to find a new job and was unemployed for much of the latter half of 1962, a situation he says was "degrading". After Major became prime minister, it was misreported that his failure to get a job as a bus conductor resulted from his failing to pass a maths test; he had in fact passed all of the necessary tests but had been passed over owing to his height. In the meantime he studied for a qualification in banking via correspondence course. Eventually in December 1962 he found a job working at the London Electricity Board (LEB) in Elephant and Castle.

Interesting. I think signing on is a dive into how other people have to live, and the petty humiliations involved in the bureaucracy. I did for a while, but fortunately not for long, though one of my best friends was on the dole for several years in the Eighties.

stodge said:

Leon said:

Kemi Badenoch told an anecdote about campaigning in her first General Election when she stood against Tessa Jowell, and she knocked on one lady's door who was indignant about a young black woman standing for the Tories "after everything we've done for you people".

That’s a genius anecdote. We see the same attitude on here tonight. Paternalist lefty racism

Biden does it all the time
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,261
    Dynamo said:

Woke department, channelling Leon - an interesting piece about how the meaning of "Jerusalem" has changed back and forth over the years. The musical discussion is over my head, but I see the abiguity of the text.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/sep/05/anti-empire-anti-fascist-pro-suffragette-last-night-of-the-proms-jerusalem-william-blake

Does Golda Schulz sing the Tory words "those Satanic mills", which change the entire articulation 180 degrees away from what William Blake actually wrote, namely "these Satanic mills"?

Jazmin Sawyers sings the words right. So did Paul Robeson.

You only have to look at the grammatical tenses and moods to appreciate that the last line of the second verse is the fulcrum. Whether it's "these" or "those" matters a LOT.

Jason Whittaker wrote his long article without mentioning public schools at all, or for that matter the actual 1917 battle for Jerusalem either. Christians retook the city from Muslims who had held it since 1187. That was considered rather momentous at the time, especially by posh Brits for obvious reasons. ("Take that, Mr Saladin!") Nor does Whittaker mention that the BBC blasted the song out on the radio to celebrate the defeat of the 1926 general strike.

Tories' mouths should burn when they try to appropriate anything by William Blake. It's even more annoying than John Major referencing George Orwell.

Blake was the guy who wrote "The Little Black Boy" and called the cathedral in the City of London "Paul's" rather than "Saint Paul's". Any Tories reading this...had you met Blake, no, you wouldn't have got on with him.

Interesting, thanks - I didn't know any of that.
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Kemi Badenoch told an anecdote about campaigning in her first General Election when she stood against Tessa Jowell, and she knocked on one lady's door who was indignant about a young black woman standing for the Tories "after everything we've done for you people".

That’s a genius anecdote. We see the same attitude on here tonight. Paternalist lefty racism

Few on here have done that though, certainly not to the extent of the piece quoted.

Biden certainly has.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    Is Miss Trusst still not PM yet? Which pen-pushing helmet at Central Office thought it a good idea to let this borefest go on all summer?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Leon said:

Would be interesting to see his opinion on who was most charismatic right now.
    A no score draw. And then an interminable series of penalties. Where it is a series of over the bar, wide, and easy saves.
    One of them will get a fortunate goal eventually.
    moonshine said:

kinabalu said:

moonshine said:

Oh do stop it. Who the fuck cares?
    Well the new inhabitants of that living room do.
    Lol - but let's just forget him please.

And PLEASE let's not fall for the false media narrative coming our way soon - courtesy of his mates in low places like the Spectator - about a possible comeback.

That will be free money to lay.
  • Bring back Kirsty Walk.

What were the BBC thinking?

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Yeah. I wonder if it is true.
    edited September 2022

Is Miss Trusst still not PM yet? Which pen-pushing helmet at Central Office thought it a good idea to let this borefest go on all summer?

Boris. The contest got him past May's tenure, but he wanted some clear water between the pair of them so he needed to leapfrog Callaghan too.

Actually, I suspect it is as simple as they decided it needed to be at least 3 weeks or so for postal votes, at which point they'd be into August, so they just went 'F*ck it, no one wants to come back in August, wait til we're back in September'.
    So who gets the 'I'm desperate to be in the Cabinet and will accept anything' job, I mean, Northern Ireland Secretary?
    Congratulations on becoming Prime Minister,
    @TrussLiz
    . The relationship between Canada and the UK is one of the strongest in the world, and I look forward to making it even stronger as we work to make life better for people on both sides of the Atlantic.
    https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1566903820004823041?s=20&t=GrpkLEjDZe6gEJWDiYe-bw

And to Prime Minister
    @BorisJohnson
    , thank you for your partnership with Canada over the years. We’ve made good progress on the many priorities we share, and I’m wishing you and your family nothing but the best in the years ahead.
    https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1566903822332698625?s=20&t=GrpkLEjDZe6gEJWDiYe-bw
    kle4 said:

So who gets the 'I'm desperate to be in the Cabinet and will accept anything' job, I mean, Northern Ireland Secretary?

The one in the gimp suit.
    Congratulations to Liz Truss on her election. The British people are our friends, the British nation is our ally. Let us continue working together to defend our shared interests.
    https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1566858800656797697?s=20&t=GrpkLEjDZe6gEJWDiYe-bw
  • Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

"Support the patriarchy!"
    Congratulations on your new role,
    @trussliz
    ! I am looking forward to our cooperation in these challenging times. The UK and Germany will continue to work closely together - as partners and friends.
    https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1566754441436463104?s=20&t=GrpkLEjDZe6gEJWDiYe-bw
    HYUFD said:

Congratulations on becoming Prime Minister,
    @TrussLiz
    . The relationship between Canada and the UK is one of the strongest in the world, and I look forward to making it even stronger as we work to make life better for people on both sides of the Atlantic.
    https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1566903820004823041?s=20&t=GrpkLEjDZe6gEJWDiYe-bw

And to Prime Minister
    @BorisJohnson
    , thank you for your partnership with Canada over the years. We’ve made good progress on the many priorities we share, and I’m wishing you and your family nothing but the best in the years ahead.
    https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1566903822332698625?s=20&t=GrpkLEjDZe6gEJWDiYe-bw

Some of the other leaders may well miss Boris a bit. Regardless of what they thought of his politics he's probably not as dull as some of them, and gossiping and bitching with other world leaders was something he'd be ok at. They're not allowed to moan about their problems with anyone else but other leaders.
    @AlboMP
    ·
    9h
    Congratulations to
    @trussliz
    on your election as Conservative Party Leader and endorsement as UK Prime Minister - I look forward to a continued constructive relationship and friendship between our nations and people
  • Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    🚨🚨 NEW: Truss to freeze energy bills for homes and firms until at least Jan - massive multibillion intervention coming as soon as Thursday.

Energy firms in meetings with Mogg all day.. wholesale price cap likely coming with taxpayer meeting shortfall:
    Congratulations
    @trussliz
    for being chosen to be the next PM of the UK. Confident that under your leadership, the India-UK Comprehensive Strategic Partnership will be further strengthened. Wish you the very best for your new role and responsibilities.
    https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1566763645874356224?s=20&t=GrpkLEjDZe6gEJWDiYe-bw
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

I see you have finally and thankfully moved on from the awful, reductionist and frankly racist “BAME” to “people of colour”. The last PB-er to do so, I believe
    Go away. Not in the mood for nonsense.
    Since those with titles do not automatically sit in the Lords anymore and can in fact be MPs, I think PMs should be given earldoms upon taking office. The list of former PMs is much classier with all the 'Earl of X' 'Marquess of Y' talk rather than boring old names (though Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil is pretty good).

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    🚨🚨 NEW: Truss to freeze energy bills for homes and firms until at least Jan - massive multibillion intervention coming as soon as Thursday.

Energy firms in meetings with Mogg all day.. wholesale price cap likely coming with taxpayer meeting shortfall:

I'd agree to a lot to get out of a room he was in too.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

It's certainly very convenient! You couldn't craft one any better.
    Awkward by-election in midBuvks when Nedine is elevated: Con 60, Lab 22, LD 13, Gr 4. In normal times I'd say it was simply unwinnable and everyone should forget tactical voting and vote for whoever they liked. But I suspect Lab and LD candidates will try to squeeze each other.

Incidentally, has anyone had the Epley maneouvre? My attack of vertigo a week back hasn't really gone, so the GP is doing that tomorrow. I'm suspicious of remedies that are quite THAT natural (essentially lean back and let gravity work), but the statistics for cures (well over half of all cases) are impressive.
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

The military are a drag on this country

Hope Trussticles gets rid

Scroungers - we may as well give the money to Russia

Enter Kwasi…
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Embellishment may well occur, but is it any more 'convenient' than anyone else recounting an experience of racism or discrimination which they raise to emphasise whatever point they are making?

From before she was an MP there are clips of her mentioning other similar experiences, so either she's played a very long game or she's had such experiences.
    Tell all the world leaders to stand down, Truss isn't PM yet, and Lord Cruddas may take matters into his own hands for Saint Boris.
  • Well any idea the Tories are for sustainable public finances is surely now dead and buried.

It's going to be a fascinating few months.
    Leon said:

Me too! He looks like owing me 3 big ones!
  • Awkward by-election in midBuvks when Nedine is elevated: Con 60, Lab 22, LD 13, Gr 4. In normal times I'd say it was simply unwinnable and everyone should forget tactical voting and vote for whoever they liked. But I suspect Lab and LD candidates will try to squeeze each other.

Incidentally, has anyone had the Epley maneouvre? My attack of vertigo a week back hasn't really gone, so the GP is doing that tomorrow. I'm suspicious of remedies that are quite THAT natural (essentially lean back and let gravity work), but the statistics for cures (well over half of all cases) are impressive.

Yes Nick. My mother suffers from vertigo badly as do I on occasion and both have had great success with it. Once you get the hang of it it is something you can do at home. It generally works well although not 100% of the time.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The big question tonight.

Does Liz like the wallpaper?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

stodge said:

Leon said:

Kemi Badenoch told an anecdote about campaigning in her first General Election when she stood against Tessa Jowell, and she knocked on one Labour party member's door who was indignant about a young black woman standing for the Tories "after everything we've done for you people".
    Labour/Starmer in government will be absolutely stuffed by LOTO Kemi. They won't have the first clue how to deal with her.
    edited September 2022
    Well, I know what my nightmares will be about tonight - the dreaded fourheaded Toryhyrda beast of myth.

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

The military are a drag on this country

Hope Trussticles gets rid

Scroungers - we may as well give the money to Russia

Enter Kwasi…
    The military are the most important public service of all, without them we would have no national security or defence
  • Liz 'no handouts' 'only tax cuts' Truss pivots to massive handouts for energy.

The message to tory members couldn't be clearer.

Thanks, so long for the vote, now feck you.

Awkward by-election in midBuvks when Nedine is elevated: Con 60, Lab 22, LD 13, Gr 4. In normal times I'd say it was simply unwinnable and everyone should forget tactical voting and vote for whoever they liked. But I suspect Lab and LD candidates will try to squeeze each other.

Yes Nick. My mother suffers from vertigo badly as do I on occasion and both have had great success with it. Once you get the hang of it it is something you can do at home. It generally works well although not 100% of the time.
    Thanks, Richard - that's really helpful. I imagine working on oil rigs with vertigo must be pretty daunting?
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Embellishment may well occur, but is it any more 'convenient' than anyone else recounting an experience of racism or discrimination which they raise to emphasise whatever point they are making?

From before she was an MP there are clips of her mentioning other similar experiences, so either she's played a very long game or she's had such experiences.
    Who knows. Some anecdotes are true and some aren't.

But this one does absolutely illustrate a right wing trope about the left. It's a precision bomb.
    GIN1138 said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Labour/Starmer in government will be absolutely stuffed by LOTO Kemi. They won't have the first clue how to deal with her.
    Kemi is pretty extreme. She will be defeated by her own words. Labour won’t need to do much. We won’t want to go back to the chaos, division and inflation of the Tory years. The last thing we will need is an ideologue like Badenoch.

Liz 'no handouts' 'only tax cuts' Truss pivots to massive handouts for energy.

The message to tory members couldn't be clearer.

Thanks, so long for the vote, now feck you.

Well if they get their beloved tax cuts as well ...
  • Is this the most Oxford elite tweet in history??

Tim Harford
    @TimHarford
    Back in 1994/95, I studied mathematical logic with Liz Truss. Just the two of us + the prof. Cantor's infinities. Peano arithmetic. Turing machines. All the good stuff. I wonder if it will help her with the job? Let's hope so.

Yes, I had BPPV a few years ago, to the point where I was banging into the wall while trying to walk down the corridor. A friendly ENT surgeon did the Epley on me and I was dramatically but not completely better. It isn't that easy to do yourself, and a knowledge of the anatomy of the semicircular canals of the inner ear is very helpful.

I have had some flare ups since, but nowhere near as bad.
    kle4 said:

Well, I know what my nightmares will be about tonight - the dreaded fourheaded Toryhyrda beast of myth.

Politics aside that’s a terrible front page because it just doesn’t work. Man woman man woman for a start. And also quite a variety of ages. The faces don’t blur. We see the gender

Whereas the last four Labour leaders would be man man man man, all middle aged or late middle aged. (And all white)

Early signs that Labour might struggle with a comp-educated woman leading the Tories, surrounded by minority ethnic senior ministers

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

But this one does absolutely illustrate a right wing trope about the left. It's a precision bomb.
    Yes, suspiciously convenient.
    GIN1138 said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Don't see why. She's way overhyped imo.
  • Awkward by-election in midBuvks when Nedine is elevated: Con 60, Lab 22, LD 13, Gr 4. In normal times I'd say it was simply unwinnable and everyone should forget tactical voting and vote for whoever they liked. But I suspect Lab and LD candidates will try to squeeze each other.

Thanks, Richard - that's really helpful. I imagine working on oil rigs with vertigo must be pretty daunting?
    Thankfully it is rare for me. I did get medivaced from a Norwegian platform about 20 years ago with it but that has been the only time I have had it offshore. Hope it goes well tomorrow.
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Or it’s just…. True?

“All anecdotes of racism are true until they don’t support my political opinions, then they are clearly invented”

You guys are unbelievable. I guess you don’t realise how you come across
    She has been careful. What will bold Liz look like?

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1566858479112953858/photo/1
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,545
    Good thread on the Trump decision.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1566835323417645056
    I kept an open mind. I really did. But reading Judge Cannon’s ruling left my jaw on the floor in its absurdity. Unless the federalist society wants to argue that this precedent would only apply to Trump, this ruling would demolish future white collar criminal investigations…
    kle4 said:

Tell all the world leaders to stand down, Truss isn't PM yet, and Lord Cruddas may take matters into his own hands for Saint Boris.

Swedish PM meanwhile congratulates the wrong Liz Truss, as she faces elections herself at the weekend

https://twitter.com/Liztruss/status/1566838847362801664?s=20&t=3ILlIZd_HM3GejMhYcNehA
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

It’s comforting that on the day a new Tory was elected, we’re already talking about the next Tory leader in opposition. Doubly comforting considering last time all the popular candidates were passed over.

JRM for LOTO.
    Nigelb said:

Good thread on the Trump decision.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1566835323417645056
    I kept an open mind. I really did. But reading Judge Cannon’s ruling left my jaw on the floor in its absurdity. Unless the federalist society wants to argue that this precedent would only apply to Trump, this ruling would demolish future white collar criminal investigations…

I don't think they are a fan of the reasoning inthis case.

This ruling MUST be appealed immediately. If it is not, criminal investigations can easily be crippled based on this absurd precedent
    edited September 2022
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Another one. Someone chalk them up

“Allegations of racism by right wing black politicians are always wrong. They are invented by evil uppity posh black people who don’t count anyway how dare they ugh”
    SUSPICIOUSLY CONVENIENT BLACK PERSON is the new PB left wing version of DRIVING WHILE BLACK as used by American police passim
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

“Allegations of racism by right wing black politicians are always wrong and invented by evil uppity posh black people who don’t count as black people anyway how dare they ugh”
    No, I am sure she has been the butt of racism, but that anecdote seems suspicious.
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Again, how is it more 'suspiciously' convenient than any other anecdote? Would a gay MP who said they got abused once at a nightclub being suspiciously convenient because it supports a case they want to make about discrimination. Would a working class MP who says they were bullied by a toff at school be being suspiciously convenient?

I'm not saying we have to believe all anecdotes, but I'm having a problem seeing how her one, which supports what politics she is presenting, is any different to any other anecdote people tell. We don't tend to tell anecdotes that don't bolster our positions.

The contention appears to be that her anecdote very precisely illustrates the point she wants to make, presumably like those mock 'On the bus someone said X and everyone applauded' quotes, and therefore it is false.

I contend that is a path we don't want to go down too much, since I am confident 5 seconds of googling will reveal every politician on earth telling anecdotes which are suspicious.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

“Allegations of racism by right wing black politicians are always wrong and invented by evil uppity posh black people who don’t count as black people anyway how dare they ugh”
    No, I am sure she has been the butt of racism, but that anecdote seems suspicious.
    Please. Use the whole glorious phrase

You think Kemi Badenoch is SUSPICIOUSLY CONVENIENT
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

How? What about it makes you think it is made up?

It could be, but what makes you think it is?
    Not a great day for the PB Left
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "TOMORROW 7.30am
    Boris Johnson to deliver a farewell address outside No10. He will then go to Balmoral in Scotland to ask the Queen to accept his resignation.

11.20am
    Mr Johnson arrives at Balmoral for his audience with the monarch.

12.10pm
    Mr Johnson departs and Ms Truss, having travelled to Scotland separately, will be welcomed by the Queen and asked to form a new government.

12.40pm
    Ms Truss heads back to London.

4pm
    The new PM arrives at No10 to address the nation for the first time. She will make the last Cabinet appointments and have meetings for updates on matters of national security."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11181285/Liz-Truss-PM-winning-Tory-leader-contest.html
    Leon said:

Not a great day for the PB Left

Liz Truss was elected Tory leader. We’ve had worse days.
This discussion has been closed.