Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

BoJo goes next week but what then? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• The plastic Mackems are a disgrace.

Shows you cannot buy class, shitty little club.

FA investigating moment Newcastle staff member threw object at Liverpool bench

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/09/fa-investigating-moment-newcastle-staff-member-threw-object-at-liverpool-bench/

Lifetime ban for this twat who could have maimed somebody.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Dishy Rishi at 17-1. Are we expecting any final polls out ?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pulpstar said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

“Recollections may vary”

The South African composer who met the Duchess of Sussex at the Lion King premiere does not recall speaking to her about Nelson Mandela, the Telegraph has confirmed

https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1565329358524272641

Talking of narcissists, Meghan Markle is absolutely a narcissist (way more than BJ). HAS to be the centre of attention. It will likely be her undoing
    That's funny, the only people I ever see talking about Meghan are those who hate her.

If you guys stopped bringing her up all the time, then I doubt her name would ever appear on this site.

If she is a narcissist, then why do you insist on giving her what she wants and giving her attention?
    Well excuse us, there was me thinking a 100/1 shot for WH2024 was an acceptable topic on a political betting website.

I don't hate her any more than I hate Richard Burgon, I find her incredibly funny. That Telegraph story is well worth a read.
    If only she was 100-1. Trying for 200-1 feels optimistic with her tbh.
    100 with skybet, coral

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2024/winner
  • Pulpstar said:

Dishy Rishi at 17-1. Are we expecting any final polls out ?

I took part in a YouGov poll of Tory members on Tuesday, I don't think it has been published, yet.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Judging by the comments on here, the site is going very long of the Democrats ahead of November. Interesting.

Biden's approval rating is still well underwater, even if the parties are tied on the generic ballot. The only occasions when the party in power has gained seats in the House, in mid term, 1998 and 2002, is when Clinton and Bush had very positive opinion ratings.

Roe v Wade may make a difference, but it won't be that much of a difference.
    Yes.

Its just I remember a similar sort of enthusiasm on here in the run up to 2020, with the dems tipped to sweep Ohio, Iowa, Florida, NC, Texas etc, and mulling potential money making opportunities!
    Difference is you could get 10/1 on Crist, recently.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,235
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

It would appear that using the word lazy to describe BoZo is in fact, lazy.

I think it's more akin to ADHD. He is clearly willing to put some hours in, but only on things he wants to do to avoid things he should be doing.

As Leon noted he used to write articles, which I am sure he would argue is not easy.

But they were frequently late, and entirely made up.

The question therefore is whether it is easier to write a fictional article (perhaps many times) than to do the research and write an accurate one.

BoZo chose the former path. Some would call that lazy...

My problem isn't with Johnson but with the system that indulged him. Why didn't the Telegraph think its readers deserved to read well researched, accurate articles? Why didn't the Telegraph's readers demand them? That is where the real laziness lies. That is evidence of a decadent society in decline.
    He's a columnist, and has been for many years. These are opinions, not factual investigations

If you mean his European work for the Telegraph that was decades ago, so our decline has been in train since about 1990? Also, he didn't persistently lie, he often told the truth, which annoyed europhiles. And when he did lie - as a very young hack - he got the sack from the Times

Again, I do not see this as evidence for a 40 year moral decline
    He persistently lied and made up stories when he was Brussels correspondent - read the Purnell biography which is based on first hand evidence for that period for examples.
    Even a columnist should base their writings on evidence not simply bluster. Compare a Johnson article with one by, eg, Martin Wolf (other than on Brexit probably not a million miles from Johnson ideologically speaking). It's not serious writing and it's not designed for people who want to understand a complex world, but would rather retreat into their own ideological comfort zone. (There are plenty of writers like this on the Left too, and they can be even worse - at least Johnson can be funny).
    You don't understand what a columnist like Boris is employed to do. That's obvious by your silly comparison with Martin Wolf.

Wolf writes quite serious, often quite dull articles about economics, they tend to be filled with facts because they have to be, he's not funny or poetic nor is he attempting this. Boris was in the Telegraph to entertain and amuse and attract readers with vivid opinions about all kinds of things

Boris must have done it well because he earned £300k a year. The Telegraph does not shell out that kind of cash for lolz
    I understand fully that there is demand for the kind of stuff Johnson writes. My contention is that this is a sad reflection on the people who read it, who can't differentiate between a joke and an argument and treat Johnson's views like they should be taken seriously.
    There is of course a place for genuine comic writing, but if you hold up Johnson's pieces against those of writers who excel in this field, they just aren't that good. Even being funny takes more effort than Johnson was willing to put in.
    I agree with some of this. Johnson is a pretty good writer, but not outstanding - tho he does have flashes of brilliance

However this isn't really my point. The Telegraph - like any big paper - has finely tuned antennae enabling them to sense what writers are popular, and attract readers. This is easily done in the age of the internet. Page views etc

This is why papers poach star writers, because one popular writer can attract 50,000 readers, so they will justify the money paid to them. This is why the Telegraph gave Bozza £300k a year. Popularity

You can bemoan the fact that Boris is a popular journalist as some dread sign of moral collapse but I submit that's absurd. Newspapers have been employing colourful, popular columnists for 100 years
    He's the first one to have become PM though. That does point to a relatively recent loss of seriousness in our society.
    £300k isn't that much money. Perhaps it's a lot in the newspaper business, I don't know.
    £300,000 is chicken feed.
    It's a huge amount of money by most standards. But the newspaper business must not be hugely profitable if that's the salary of its absolute stars, when sectors like tech, finance or consulting are chock full of quite average people earning well north of that. Perhaps they are less fun and offer fewer side benefits.
    The newspaper business is less well paid than some people think

Some absolute star columnists - even bigger than Boris - might be on half a mill. I've heard rumours that Caitlin Moran is on that kind of money at The Times

Only editors will make more than that, and even then only a few. Kath Viner, the editor at the Guardian, makes £508k a year

And yes of course people do this not just for the money: it is a much more entertaining life than being a banker or coder. You get loads of perks, from party invites to Downing St dinners to endless free luxe travel
    Matt famously makes around £650k.
    He might actually be the highest paid non-editor on Fleet Street

There was some dude at the Mail, IIRC, who was on insane legacy deal which was over a million. But all those have now gone, as newspapers have cut budgets since the internet ate everyone's lunch

It will be interesting to see if salaries (and freelance fees) rise again, now some are beginning to expand, once more

The plastic Mackems are a disgrace.

Shows you cannot buy class, shitty little club.

FA investigating moment Newcastle staff member threw object at Liverpool bench

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/09/fa-investigating-moment-newcastle-staff-member-threw-object-at-liverpool-bench/

Lifetime ban for this twat who could have maimed somebody.

Pretty sure it's a paper dart.
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

“Recollections may vary”

The South African composer who met the Duchess of Sussex at the Lion King premiere does not recall speaking to her about Nelson Mandela, the Telegraph has confirmed

https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1565329358524272641

Talking of narcissists, Meghan Markle is absolutely a narcissist (way more than BJ). HAS to be the centre of attention. It will likely be her undoing
    That's funny, the only people I ever see talking about Meghan are those who hate her.

If you guys stopped bringing her up all the time, then I doubt her name would ever appear on this site.

If she is a narcissist, then why do you insist on giving her what she wants and giving her attention?
    Well excuse us, there was me thinking a 100/1 shot for WH2024 was an acceptable topic on a political betting website.

I don't hate her any more than I hate Richard Burgon, I find her incredibly funny. That Telegraph story is well worth a read.
    If only she was 100-1. Trying for 200-1 feels optimistic with her tbh.
    100 with skybet, coral

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2024/winner
    Massive favourite longshot bias and free cash for bookies there. 839-1 with Betfair.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    TimS said:

With Boris's energy speech today, and Truss's recent pronouncements, it really does feel as if we're being gaslighted into believing that it's not the Conservatives, but some other party (Labour?), that's had the power to make decisions, both short-term and long-term, over the last 12 years.

It's stunning chutzpah, but I'm not convinced it will work out as well for the Tories as it did in 2019.

I wouldn’t discount it. The approach has indeed worked well for them in the past, notably when Boris managed to win in 2019 on the basis of not being May (though Corbyn helped too).

The opposition parties need to bang hone over and over that this is a tired Tory party in its 13th year of government. Emphasise the continuity not only with Boris and last last regime but with all the least popular ministers of the last decade.
    Yes - we've been putting out a very popular leaflet (with a cartoon which we commissioned from Marf, who used to grace this site) - theme is "Do you want ANOTHER 7 years of the Tories? If not, join Labour and let's stop it." Quite a lot of people really don't want to still have a Conservative government in 2029, no matter how much they shift the chairs around.
    Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Judging by the comments on here, the site is going very long of the Democrats ahead of November. Interesting.

Biden's approval rating is still well underwater, even if the parties are tied on the generic ballot. The only occasions when the party in power has gained seats in the House, in mid term, 1998 and 2002, is when Clinton and Bush had very positive opinion ratings.

I think @MISTY is missing the context of much of the discussion, which is the change in expectations. A few of us took a punt on the Democrats for November at much longer odds.
  • Nigelb said:

MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Why are we devoting an entire thread to discussing a soon to be ex PM who got booted from office for being a lying toad ?
    I'd rather bring back @Leon 's bloody pictures.

Off for lunch, but here's a parting gift.

Biden's Approval Rating Surges After Hitting Low Mark In July,
    Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds;
    Half Of Americans Say Trump Should Be Prosecuted On Criminal
    Charges Over His Handling Of Classified Documents
    https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3854
    ...More than three-quarters of Americans (76 percent) say they are following the news about the removal of classified documents from former President Donald Trump's Florida home either very closely (38 percent) or somewhat closely (38 percent), while 24 percent say they are either following it not so closely (11 percent) or not closely at all (13 percent).

Americans 59 - 26 percent think former President Trump acted inappropriately...

Lay the "great greased watermelon" for the Republican nomination.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/08/facts-caught-donald-trump-documents.html

Disagree, about 35 million will partake in the GOP primary. The venn diagram for those primary voters will be a circle wholly contained within the 26% identified in the poll.
    Well, that's what makes a market.

My impression, FWIW, is that while MAGA hasn't gone out of fashion on the right, Trump is rather less fashionable with MAGA. Remarkably, given all that's gone before without apparent consequence, he's now become something of an embarrassment.
    This comment barely stands up to scrutiny. If Trump was going out of fashion, the Dems wouldn't be trying so hard to take him out. They know that if they subtract Trump from the equation, his base do not turn up and they can win any election they like.

See for reference Marc Molinaro, the nice cuddly candidate the Repubs ran in a Repub favourable New York special election recently.

He's charismatic!! he's pro-choice! he distanced himself from Trump! and....er... he lost handily.
    This was over a month back, before the current documents scandal broke:

Half of G.O.P. Voters Ready to Leave Trump Behind, Poll Finds
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/12/us/politics/trump-approval-polling-2024.html

A year ago he was the almost certain presumptive nominee.

And now the documents scandal, which even some of the MAGA crowd are finding awkward to defend.

I'm not saying he's finished for certain, but it looks more likely than it ever did.
    Personally I'm not sure that the New York Times, of all publications, knows which way the wind is blowing out there in the sticks in the flyover US states.

But I could be wrong.

It's a poll.

And from one of the highest rated pollsters.
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Personally, I'd take their numbers over your gut feel.
    Big Biden speech tonight in prime time on threat to democracy.
    I expect the final polls will show a small tightening to Sunak, I've gone for 62-38 in Rentoul's google docs game.
  • Me likey. The untidy red deletion of the c-bomb is my work. Don’t want the ban hammer.

And like all the famous bands, he'll be back on tour again within two years.
    Betfair POTUS

Trump 7-2
    Desantis 4-1
    Biden 6-1
    Harris 15-1.

After that it's Gavin Newsom !
  • Lock him up.

Gary Neville has been referred to the attorney-general’s office for potential prosecution for contempt of court by the judge presiding over Ryan Giggs’s trial.

Neville, 47, a friend of Giggs since they played at Manchester United, sent a tweet at 4am on the trial’s opening day, but it was not brought to the attention of Judge Hilary Manley until the morning of the third day.

She discharged the jurors yesterday after they failed to reach verdicts. She added that she had referred the matter of Neville’s tweet to Suella Braverman “for the consideration of a potential prosecution”.

A source close to Neville said that the Sky Sports pundit disputes the allegation, according to The Daily Telegraph. They said that the tweet he sent on August 8 was in reaction to fan protests against his former club’s American owners.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ryan-giggs-faces-prospect-of-retrial-after-jury-discharged-0q2hwdjx0
  • Nigelb said:

MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Why are we devoting an entire thread to discussing a soon to be ex PM who got booted from office for being a lying toad ?

...More than three-quarters of Americans (76 percent) say they are following the news about the removal of classified documents from former President Donald Trump's Florida home either very closely (38 percent) or somewhat closely (38 percent), while 24 percent say they are either following it not so closely (11 percent) or not closely at all (13 percent).

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/08/facts-caught-donald-trump-documents.html

Disagree, about 35 million will partake in the GOP primary. The venn diagram for those primary voters will be a circle wholly contained within the 26% identified in the poll.

My impression, FWIW, is that while MAGA hasn't gone out of fashion on the right, Trump is rather less fashionable with MAGA. Remarkably, given all that's gone before without apparent consequence, he's now become something of an embarrassment.
    This comment barely stands up to scrutiny. If Trump was going out of fashion, the Dems wouldn't be trying so hard to take him out. They know that if they subtract Trump from the equation, his base do not turn up and they can win any election they like.

See for reference Marc Molinaro, the nice cuddly candidate the Repubs ran in a Repub favourable New York special election recently.

He's charismatic!! he's pro-choice! he distanced himself from Trump! and....er... he lost handily.
    This was over a month back, before the current documents scandal broke:

Half of G.O.P. Voters Ready to Leave Trump Behind, Poll Finds
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/12/us/politics/trump-approval-polling-2024.html

A year ago he was the almost certain presumptive nominee.

And now the documents scandal, which even some of the MAGA crowd are finding awkward to defend.

I'm not saying he's finished for certain, but it looks more likely than it ever did.
    Personally I'm not sure that the New York Times, of all publications, knows which way the wind is blowing out there in the sticks in the flyover US states.

But I could be wrong.

It's a poll.

And from one of the highest rated pollsters.
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Personally, I'd take their numbers over your gut feel.
    Big Biden speech tonight in prime time on threat to democracy.
    The recent one where he started talking about how easily the American government could kill its citizens and they'd need more than a gun wasn't exactly conciliatory.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Me likey. The untidy red deletion of the c-bomb is my work. Don’t want the ban hammer.

Max weight for the Mk.16 seat is 130kg and the normal max weight for FJ crew is 105kg. I wonder if he would have made it out if it had gone tits up due to a birdstrike or uncontained engine failure. Broken back for sure at his age and fitness level.

Me likey. The untidy red deletion of the c-bomb is my work. Don’t want the ban hammer.

Just reprising the old hits for cash, too.
    Pulpstar said:

Betfair POTUS

Trump 7-2
    Desantis 4-1
    Biden 6-1
    Harris 15-1.

Laying phatboi is beginning to look tempting

Lock him up.

Gary Neville has been referred to the attorney-general’s office for potential prosecution for contempt of court by the judge presiding over Ryan Giggs’s trial.

Neville, 47, a friend of Giggs since they played at Manchester United, sent a tweet at 4am on the trial’s opening day, but it was not brought to the attention of Judge Hilary Manley until the morning of the third day.

She discharged the jurors yesterday after they failed to reach verdicts. She added that she had referred the matter of Neville’s tweet to Suella Braverman “for the consideration of a potential prosecution”.

A source close to Neville said that the Sky Sports pundit disputes the allegation, according to The Daily Telegraph. They said that the tweet he sent on August 8 was in reaction to fan protests against his former club’s American owners.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ryan-giggs-faces-prospect-of-retrial-after-jury-discharged-0q2hwdjx0

It's most infuriating to read this story without the blimming actual tweet being discussed.
    Pulpstar said:

Betfair POTUS

Trump 7-2
    Desantis 4-1
    Biden 6-1
    Harris 15-1.

It could quite easily be none of those.
    I've previously laid both Trump and Biden - though I'm feeling mildly nervous about the Biden position, I'm not doing anything on that market until after the midterms.
  • Nigelb said:

Trouble for the Conservatives is that their fanbase is increasingly elderly and relying on nostalgia as the elixir of lost youth as well.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Matt Goodwin and Katherine Birbalsingh appointed to new government Social Mobility Commission

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1565340592221011970?s=20&t=Cocaj4MwUlY83BmOtIfYPg
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Nigelb said:

Trouble for the Conservatives is that their fanbase is increasingly elderly and relying on nostalgia as the elixir of lost youth as well.
    We used to joke that Bozo would be the end of the Tory party - given the forthcoming crisis I really believe the Tory party will be doomed unless Truss comes up with a decent plan next week...
  • NickyBreakspearNickyBreakspear Posts: 674
    edited September 2022
    Two by-elections in Redditch today, one for the local district council and one for the county council. Last by-elections with Boris as PM.

Arrow Valley West, Worcestershire County Council - C defence: C, L, LD, G
    Headless Cross and Oakenshaw, Redditch Council - C defence: C, L, LD, G.

Andrew Teale's write-up. https://medium.com/britainelects/previewing-the-redditch-by-elections-of-1st-september-2022-97e6afbe220e
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,721
    Oh, goody :confused:

"Warning Vladimir Putin may be creating 'false pretext' for Moldova invasion."

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1565346108074631169
  • CatMan said:

Invasion? With what? They are reported on using conscripted prisoners now in Ukraine...
  • CatMan said:

What with? Is he going to call up the over 60s now?
  • eek said:

Nigelb said:

We used to joke that Bozo would be the end of the Tory party - given the forthcoming crisis I really believe the Tory party will be doomed unless Truss comes up with a decent plan next week...

"For what it’s worth, the plan trailed in the Times this weekend – cutting VAT, raising the income tax personal allowance and possibly either cutting the basic rate of income tax and/or raising the higher rate threshold – is just about the worst macro-policy response to the current energy-driven supply shock I can imagine."

https://duncanweldon.substack.com/p/a-series-of-unfortunate-fiscal-events?r=72szy&s=r&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    edited September 2022
    MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Yes.

Its just I remember a similar sort of enthusiasm on here in the run up to 2020, with the dems tipped to sweep Ohio, Iowa, Florida, NC, Texas etc, and mulling potential money making opportunities!
    The way to look at it is this, IMHO.

In 2020, the Democrats had a 4% lead in the Presidential election and a 2.5% lead in the House. That gave a tiny majority in the House.

Even if the 2022 result is exactly the same, the Democrats will probably lose the House due to boundary changes.

But, nothing in recent polling suggests the Democrats will enjoy such a lead in overall vote share. In overall terms, a tie is probably the best they can hope for. So, the dial is already shifted 2.5 to 4% for the Republicans, compared to 2020. States like Georgia, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Nevada, New Hampshire, Arizona were very tight in 2020, so one has to assume they'll be very tight this time around. The general environment is a bit better for the Republicans, but poor candidate selection works against them.

Red States that were not in play in 2020, are certainly not going to be in play, this time around.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Yes.

In 2020, the Democrats had a 4% lead in the Presidential election and a 2.5% lead in the House. That gave a tiny majority in the House.

Even if the 2020 result is exactly the same, the Democrats will probably lose the House due to boundary changes.

But, nothing in recent polling suggests the Democrats will enjoy such a lead in overall vote share. In overall terms, a tie is probably the best they can hope for. So, the dial is already shifted 2.5 to 4% for the Republicans, compared to 2020. States like Georgia, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Nevada, New Hampshire, Arizona were very tight in 2020, so one has to assume they'll be very tight this time around. The general environment is a bit better for the Republicans, but poor candidate selection works against them.

Red States that were not in play in 2018, are certainly not going to be in play, this time around.
    V good summary and I agree.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

CatMan said:

Once he's conquered Ukraine he can call up the Ukrainians. And so on all the way to Paris.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Ever since I've taken an interest in politics, I've heard repeated predictions of the end of the Conservative or Labour parties. It never happens.
    Exactly, the only way the Tories could have been ended as one of the 2 main parties is if May was not replaced in mid 2019 by Boris, Brexit did not get delivered and Farage's party overtook them
  • HYUFD said:

Matt Goodwin and Katherine Birbalsingh appointed to new government Social Mobility Commission

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1565340592221011970?s=20&t=Cocaj4MwUlY83BmOtIfYPg

Great appointments as long as it means Matt Goodwin will stop doing those annoying tweets where he pretends to be a dispassionate academic while actually being totally partisan.

I have a fair amount of time for Katherine Birbalsingh who makes good points about education and culture. She's the sort of person who should support Labour, given her interest in fairness and working class aspiration, and Labour should be thinking hard about why she doesn't.
    CatMan said:

Make it stoppppp
  • @dwnews
    Germany's invasion and occupation of Poland during World War II caused losses amounting to €1.32 trillion, a Polish parliamentary committee determined.

The head of Poland's ruling party says it would officially demand reparations.

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1565334528570294272
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612
    Chris said:

CatMan said:

Once he's conquered Ukraine he can call up the Ukrainians. And so on all the way to Paris.
    {Yang Kyoungjong has entered the chat and been enlisted in whatever army is going}
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,162
    MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

But the Dems are not "trying so hard to take him out". What we are seeing are the actions of non-partisan law enforcement who are investigating him, probably because he keeps breaking the law.
    Ugh. I have a "macro" virus in my Word documents. Stopping me working!

Anyone know what to do and how to eliminate the bastard? Windows Security cannot detect it let alone purge it
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,138
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

HMS PoW off to dry dock in Rosyth. WESTLANT 2022 in the bin. US 2nd Fleet, who moved their own training program around to accomodate her, not amused.

Sort it out, Truss.

I’m perhaps she can get the shaft greasing sorted out.

She's got enough oil in her manner.
    But with gritty bits that you have to stop and poke at with your finger rather than let it flow smoothly. Someone's been at the sabotage.

Seriously, though, I really do wonder what the hell was happening on PoW if the grease monkeys weren't doing their jobs. I wonder if it's even possible to feel the bearing to see how warm it is running.
  • Chris said:

CatMan said:

"But Tsar Alexander made it all the way to Paris!" - Stalin in 1945.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

@dwnews
    Germany's invasion and occupation of Poland during World War II caused losses amounting to €1.32 trillion, a Polish parliamentary committee determined.

The head of Poland's ruling party says it would officially demand reparations.

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1565334528570294272

Surely, the reparations were Silesia, Pomerania, and the Southern half of East Prussia.
  • MeidasTouch
    @MeidasTouch
    Sarah Palin is not taking her loss well. Thoughts and prayers.

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1565282937599320067

Chris said:

CatMan said:

{Yang Kyoungjong has entered the chat and been enlisted in whatever army is going}
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN5mJK8Zb1k (warning: the IJA armoured cars and the BTs are pretty crap)
  • 148grss148grss Posts: 3,630
    MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Yes.

Even if the 2020 result is exactly the same, the Democrats will probably lose the House due to boundary changes.

Red States that were not in play in 2018, are certainly not going to be in play, this time around.
    Maybe this is less fun, but I do have a tendency to rely on 538 and their model for the likely outcome.

They are much more in favour of the Dems keeping the senate than other outlets (I know politico have the senate lean GOP still), but they seem to think the House is clearly likely to end up under GOP control. They were less bullish on the GOP earlier in the year, but the maps that have made it to election day are more GOP friendly than they looked like they might be back in the spring - partly because Dem controlled states had courts / oversight panels reduce the Democratic gerrymander, whilst GOP controlled states were backed up at every turn by their courts and even SCOTUS.
    CatMan said:

Are they referring to the inevitable upcoming official recognition of the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic by the Russian Federation ?
  • 148grss148grss Posts: 3,630
    148grss said:

MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Yes.

Maybe this is less fun, but I do have a tendency to rely on 538 and their model for the likely outcome.

They are much more in favour of the Dems keeping the senate than other outlets (I know politico have the senate lean GOP still), but they seem to think the House is clearly likely to end up under GOP control. They were less bullish on the GOP earlier in the year, but the maps that have made it to election day are more GOP friendly than they looked like they might be back in the spring - partly because Dem controlled states had courts / oversight panels reduce the Democratic gerrymander, whilst GOP controlled states were backed up at every turn by their courts and even SCOTUS.
    Having said that, the post Dobbs outlook is more positive for Dems, and if the generic ballot moves further, Dems could still win.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-democrats-win-in-alaska-tells-us-about-november/
  • Leon said:

Anyone know what to do and how to eliminate the bastard? Windows Security cannot detect it let alone purge it

Malwarebytes is pretty good. You don't have to use it all the time just download and run one off when you need. The free version is fine or was last time I used it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

MeidasTouch
    @MeidasTouch

I feel sorry for Tina Fey and Lisa Ann, who were I’m sure hoping for a revival in their careers as Palin impersonators.

Leon said:

Malwarebytes is pretty good. You don't have to use it all the time just download and run one off when you need. The free version is fine or was last time I used it.
    TA
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

HMS PoW off to dry dock in Rosyth. WESTLANT 2022 in the bin. US 2nd Fleet, who moved their own training program around to accomodate her, not amused.

Sort it out, Truss.

But with gritty bits that you have to stop and poke at with your finger rather than let it flow smoothly. Someone's been at the sabotage.

Seriously, though, I really do wonder what the hell was happening on PoW if the grease monkeys weren't doing their jobs. I wonder if it's even possible to feel the bearing to see how warm it is running.
    Lubrication feed is a pain on lots of machinery…

Watts:
    [repairing the engine] Come to see the fun, sir? It won't be long now.

Morell:
    Fine, chief, but the captain's a little worried about the noise. Could you do anything to... tone it down a bit?

Watts:
    Pretty well finished now, sir. We're just flabbin' up the nuts. Could you hear the hammerin' up top?

Morell:
    Hear it? There were U-boats popping up from miles around complaining about the racket.
  • Sandpit said:

MeidasTouch
    @MeidasTouch

I feel sorry for Tina Fey and Lisa Ann, who were I’m sure hoping for a revival in their careers as Palin impersonators.
    Still time for Trump to make her his running mate, if he decides that Kara Lake would take too much of HIS media oxygen away from him.

• StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085
    edited September 2022
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Ever since I've taken an interest in politics, I've heard repeated predictions of the end of the Conservative or Labour parties. It never happens.
    There's a second time for everything, though. And the Conservatives have set themselves a stinker of a problem to solve demographically.

It's always been the case that people get more right-wing on average as they get older. But since about 2016, the effect has become huge. Really huge.

I like this set of graphs because it explains so much, but I hate it because I wish it weren't this way;

The Conservatives really need to do something to appeal to people who haven't made a pile by buying a house cheaply a couple of decades ago. At the moment, they don't seem to be even trying.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Exclusive: http://Leave.EU has gone into liquidation owing co-founder Arron Banks more than £7m.

🧵⬇️
    https://www.bristolworld.com/news/leaveeu-goes-into-liquidation-owing-co-founder-arron-banks-ps7m-3823925

Leon said:

Yes, Malwarebytes is good.
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/ click the “Free Download” link on the left.

Also, Trend Micro Housecall.
    https://www.trendmicro.com/en_ae/forHome/products/housecall.html
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Coolm thx

Will these weed out this virus? I haven't had a computer virus in decades. Odd
    148grss said:

MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Sean_F said:

MISTY said:

Yes.

It's an odd one, though.

The Colorado race, for example, where the market has the Dems as 7/1 favourites, is polling unexpectedly close. (The Republican candidate has also expressed a wish for Trump to disappear from national politics.)

I bet against the Republicans much earlier, and I'm tempted to lock in some profits.

Sean_F said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

There's a second time for everything, though. And the Conservatives have set themselves a stinker of a problem to solve demographically.

It's always been the case that people get more right-wing on average as they get older. But since about 2016, the effect has become huge. Really huge.

I like this set of graphs because it explains so much, but I hate it because I wish it weren't this way;

The Conservatives really need to do something to appeal to people who haven't made a pile by buying a house cheaply a couple of decades ago. At the moment, they don't seem to be even trying.
    That's really striking. Was there a Scottish equivalent, by any chance? I'm wondering if Labour are sort of mini-Tories there too, or if it's a mixture.
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Coolm thx

Will these weed out this virus? I haven't had a computer virus in decades. Odd
    They should do, if it’s a known virus.

If you want a hint, the best thing you can do to protect your computer is to set up a second user account, make that account administrator and make your normal user a “standard” user. That way, to install anything you have to type the administrator account’s password, which should make you stop and think why you’re been asked to do it.
    Even as a kid I suspected they might be dangerous subversives.

The Monkees’ last-living member sues FBI for secret files on the band
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/08/31/monkees-lawsuit-fbi/
  • Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

That's really striking. Was there a Scottish equivalent, by any chance? I'm wondering if Labour are sort of mini-Tories there too, or if it's a mixture.
    Dunno, haven't seen one. I assume the UK split is you-know-what-from-2016 in disguise. Is there a similar age split for Sindy views?
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    TOPPING said:

Dynamo said:

Putin won't be attending Gorby's funeral.

[inane comment about a table deleted]
    Voxpops from Russia and from some various high-ups in various Russian administrations universally critical of Gorbachev, interestingly.
    The big Russian pendulum is high up on the Slavophile side now. Gorbachev was a westerniser like Peter.

Meanwhile in the west, the big pendulum has similarly swung away from globalism.

A US-Russian side summit with Biden or Blinken in Moscow would have raised expectations of a US-Russian agreement that might have had a chance of ending the war.

Gorby's name is being trodden on in Beijing. Doesn't look as though Xi will attend. Merkel maybe?

Here's one reason why Gorbachev was important:

TOPPING said:

Dynamo said:

Couldn't get a big enough table for the funeral.
    Voxpops from Russia and from some various high-ups in various Russian administrations universally critical of Gorbachev, interestingly.
    He wasn't sufficiently despotic for them.

And he provided both an explicit and implicit condemnation of Putin's warmongering through his comments and his example.
    It's little wonder the current fascistic state doesn't care for him. Though of course, as an ex-monarch/csar/president, they still have to acknowledge him.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Nigelb said:

Even as a kid I suspected they might be dangerous subversives.

The Monkees’ last-living member sues FBI for secret files on the band
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/08/31/monkees-lawsuit-fbi/

Their TV series was clearly designed to reduce the average IQ of the watcher and make moronic behaviour seem normal.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

+2 download Malwarebytes - let it run and then remove it...
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Unfortunately none of these can detect whatever-it-is that's infesting my laptop
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sort it out, Truss.

Seriously, though, I really do wonder what the hell was happening on PoW if the grease monkeys weren't doing their jobs.
    Super lean crewing with no opportunity for handovers and lots of positions being gapped.

This is the same ship that had a burst fire main flooding the engine room for 24 hours before anybody noticed... That caused the cancellation of the previously planned transatlantic jaunt in 2021 while it spent 8 months being repaired.
  • Dynamo said:

Couldn't get a big enough table for the funeral.
    He was going to be a pallbearer, but sadly the cathederal could not accommodate that length of coffin.

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Dunno, haven't seen one. I assume the UK split is you-know-what-from-2016 in disguise. Is there a similar age split for Sindy views?
    From memory (but I couldn't cite any references), very much so for Sindy views. But it is also reflected in SNP vs Tory voting in Scotland.

Also from memory, Labour voting a few years back was very like the Tory lines on those graphs, but I am much less certain of this.

I was wondering if it had changed of late. There is a strong view (discussed here a few days back) held by some, notanly within Labour, that Labour has become a primarily British-nationalist rather than social-democratic party in its approach to and within Scotland - vide 2014 alliance, and local gmt alliance with right-wing SLD and Tory parties and "Independents" aka Tories in sheepskin.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    On the subject of predictions, 538 has been pretty good historically.

If you look at the 2020 Senate elections, they only called three races wrong: Maine and North Carolina, which stayed Republican; and Georgia, which the Democrats flipped.

If we look at their individual Senate forecasts now, and assume they call it wrong by one in the Dems favour, then you end up at 50:50.

FWIW, I think a small bet on the Republicans on Betfair is now worth a punt: I'm thinking the Republicans grab Nevada and Georgia, but lose Pennsylvania and fall short in Arizona.
    Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Unfortunately none of these can detect whatever-it-is that's infesting my laptop
    Can I make a gentle suggestion?

Start using Google Docs to write, instead of Word.
    Sandpit said:

MeidasTouch
    @MeidasTouch

Another politician who didn't bother to look at the system that was going to elect them, apparently. If she had she wouldn't have spent the campaign calling the Democrat a sweetheart and knocking 7 bells out of her Republican rival. It was the failure of a significant number of those voters to put Palin in second place that lost her it.
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of predictions, 538 has been pretty good historically.

If you look at the 2020 Senate elections, they only called three races wrong: Maine and North Carolina, which stayed Republican; and Georgia, which the Democrats flipped.

If we look at their individual Senate forecasts now, and assume they call it wrong by one in the Dems favour, then you end up at 50:50.

FWIW, I think a small bet on the Republicans on Betfair is now worth a punt: I'm thinking the Republicans grab Nevada and Georgia, but lose Pennsylvania and fall short in Arizona.

I think it's in the lap of the gods at this point - but I've better than doubled my money, so I've cashed out.
    Letting the House bet run, for now. It would be perversely amusing (and I hope it doesn't happen) should the Democrats hold the House and lose the Senate.
    For @MISTY .
    Note The Hill is hardly a liberal publication.

Some Republicans drift from Trump as Democrats warm up to Biden
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3622977-some-republicans-drift-from-trump-as-democrats-warm-up-to-biden/

Naturally they are still terrified of him, so the distancing is being done very gingerly.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Maybe you should PM Heathener as perhaps she had a similar problem from using a compromised VPN until relatively recently?
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Given that the entire legal profession (including me) uses Word as standard for all intimated documents etc, whether they have a PC or a Mac, this is slightly alarming advice. Can you illucidate further or provide a link?
  • Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I use Intego (on a Mac).

They do a windows version:

https://www.intego.com/intego-antivirus
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Given that the entire legal profession (including me) uses Word as standard for all intimated documents etc, whether they have a PC or a Mac, this is slightly alarming advice. Can you illucidate further or provide a link?
    Why is it alarming?

Google Docs handles Word files without issue. But it is absolutely amazing for collaboration*, and there are no issues with viruses.

* In particular, it allows your colleagues to annotate documents in real time.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

TimS said:

With Boris's energy speech today, and Truss's recent pronouncements, it really does feel as if we're being gaslighted into believing that it's not the Conservatives, but some other party (Labour?), that's had the power to make decisions, both short-term and long-term, over the last 12 years.

It's stunning chutzpah, but I'm not convinced it will work out as well for the Tories as it did in 2019.

I wouldn’t discount it. The approach has indeed worked well for them in the past, notably when Boris managed to win in 2019 on the basis of not being May (though Corbyn helped too).

The opposition parties need to bang hone over and over that this is a tired Tory party in its 13th year of government. Emphasise the continuity not only with Boris and last last regime but with all the least popular ministers of the last decade.
    Yes - we've been putting out a very popular leaflet (with a cartoon which we commissioned from Marf, who used to grace this site) - theme is "Do you want ANOTHER 7 years of the Tories? If not, join Labour and let's stop it." Quite a lot of people really don't want to still have a Conservative government in 2029, no matter how much they shift the chairs around.
    A good, positive message you have there.
    Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

https://www.avast.com/c-macro-virus

Good explanation. If you open a known infected document in safe mode you can then click View and macros and inspect (and delete) all of them.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Why is it alarming?

Google Docs handles Word files without issue. But it is absolutely amazing for collaboration*, and there are no issues with viruses.

Can do that in word now with OneDrive.

It breaks all the time but still.
  • Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    1h
    85% of Alaskans say ranked-choice voting (RCV) ballots are simple to understand and fill out. 🗳

G. Elliott Morris
    @gelliottmorris
    · 2h
    Some people may think RCV is confusing. But Alaskans didn’t. The logical explanation for so many Republicans not ranking Palin is just that they didn’t want to vote for her!

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1565338721335279620
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Why is it alarming?

Its alarming because it is not what any of us use*. If Word has serious security/virus issues that is a problem.

*I do actually have 1 friend that uses google docs but he has always been more interested in computers than law.
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Why is it alarming?

Its alarming because it is not what any of us use*. If Word has serious security/virus issues that is a problem.

*I do actually have 1 friend that uses google docs but he has always been more interested in computers than law.
    Just disable macros altogether unless you use them (and I can't see that they're much use in legal pleadings or travel journalism).
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Why is it alarming?

MS changed the settings for macros last month - they are no longer enabled by default see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/security/internet-macros-blocked (yes they probably should have done this 20 years ago but better late than never)
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Dura_Ace said:

Max weight for the Mk.16 seat is 130kg and the normal max weight for FJ crew is 105kg. I wonder if he would have made it out if it had gone tits up due to a birdstrike or uncontained engine failure. Broken back for sure at his age and fitness level.
    No he'll be fine. It is all muscle and no fat hence the additional weight. Just ask Bart.
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

https://www.avast.com/c-macro-virus

Good explanation. If you open a known infected document in safe mode you can then click View and macros and inspect (and delete) all of them.
    Done that. It doesn't show up

However I might have solved the problem by cutting and pasting the entire infected document into a new document, that seems virus free. For now
    Another form of Turing Test: passed

"An AI-Generated Artwork Won First Place at a State Fair Fine Arts Competition, and Artists Are Pissed
    J
    ason Allen's AI-generated work "Théâtre D'opéra Spatial" took first place in the digital category at the Colorado State Fair."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvmvqm/an-ai-generated-artwork-won-first-place-at-a-state-fair-fine-arts-competition-and-artists-are-pissed
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Same trick won't work as well another time. Passage of time, repetition, less clear a switch between PMs, it makes it less effective.

If Truss has what she claims she wanted - Boris still in power - then we wouldn't even be getting a shift in so many areas anyway. Yes, I get collective responsibility, but it still means Truss is saying 'I would do X to help the country in this difficult situation...but I would have said we shouldn't do X, because my staying in office was more important'. Or she doesn't really think X is a good idea, she just thinks it is a vote winner.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 326

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    1h
    85% of Alaskans say ranked-choice voting (RCV) ballots are simple to understand and fill out. 🗳

G. Elliott Morris
    @gelliottmorris
    · 2h
    Some people may think RCV is confusing. But Alaskans didn’t. The logical explanation for so many Republicans not ranking Palin is just that they didn’t want to vote for her!

Incedentally 15% was the non-transferred ballot rate. It's hard to imagine anyone motivated enough to vote for Begich that wouldn't have a preference between Palin and Peltola.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 326
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Why is it alarming?

Just disable macros altogether unless you use them (and I can't see that they're much use in legal pleadings or travel journalism).
    +1 to this. The only reason a macro should be running in a word document is if you know exactly what it's there for. I use macros all the time in Excel (though I am slowly moving away from VBA) and even there I turn off macros by default.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

"An AI-Generated Artwork Won First Place at a State Fair Fine Arts Competition, and Artists Are Pissed
    J
    ason Allen's AI-generated work "Théâtre D'opéra Spatial" took first place in the digital category at the Colorado State Fair."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvmvqm/an-ai-generated-artwork-won-first-place-at-a-state-fair-fine-arts-competition-and-artists-are-pissed

I do wonder where this will go -If AI is capable of producing great art and literature then it surely will mass produce it (why not?) yet -isn't the main criteria of great art or writing is that it stands out or is rare ?
    You see it now in chess where AI is SO much better than the top players that nobody drools now over a great move by a grandmaster because it is just then fed into a machine and a machine comes up with a even better way of winning a game and everyone just sort of shrugs

AI makes the extraordinary ordinary - which is fine for menial labour replacing stuff but not for art or literature or even chess
    Pulpstar said:

Lock him up.

It's most infuriating to read this story without the blimming actual tweet being discussed.
    It's like when someone has done something allegedly offensive and the story skirts around what the heck they actually said (they have gotten a bit better with that). Even when there's a good reason for circumspection it makes for an irritating read.
    Leon said:

J

Seems like old news - programmes have been creating music soundalikes of classical masters for years I believe, which are indistinguishable from the real thing.

We know there will be a market for the equivalent of 'hand made' artwork produced by real human beings, like art produced be a chimpanzee not being 'real' art because of lack of intended meaning or whatever, the uninformed observer won't be able to tell the difference.
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Why is it alarming?

I don't use macros as pretty much everything I do is bespoke (or cut and paste) but in my experience solicitors are very fond of them. They will have longwinded without prejudice clauses on many of their letters, for example.

Edit and I download word documents from solicitors at the rate of at least 20 a day, often many more.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    1h

G. Elliott Morris
    @gelliottmorris
    · 2h

It's a weird thing about human nature that we often use bad arguments even when better ones exist (even if oen is not persuaded by it even then). The argument people cannot figure out a relatively straightforward system like that is really just defenders of the current system insulting people.

Leon said:

J

I do wonder where this will go -If AI is capable of producing great art and literature then it surely will mass produce it (why not?) yet -isn't the main criteria of great art or writing is that it stands out or is rare ?
    You see it now in chess where AI is SO much better than the top players that nobody drools now over a great move by a grandmaster because it is just then fed into a machine and a machine comes up with a even better way of winning a game and everyone just sort of shrugs

AI makes the extraordinary ordinary - which is fine for menial labour replacing stuff but not for art or literature or even chess
    Well, yes

90% of future art and literature will be produced by machines, or machines in collaboration with humans

There will always be a market for the rare artisanal human product, but it will be a market dimensions smaller than it is now

Pretty grim for young artists/writers starting out now. Maybe quite grim for the human condition. But I don't know how it can be stopped. The genie is out of the lamp
This discussion has been closed.